Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Electric vehicles

Electric vehicles

Electric vehicles

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (21): 1 2 321 Next
ne14ne1

24 Jul 2020, 8:59 am #1
Has anyone managed to ride the electric Metrocity GNE has on trial at the moment? I wondered what your thoughts of it were.

I haven't been on it myself, but having watched a few videos of it on YouTube it doesn't seem like the most peaceful sounding electric bus ever, or at least not when accelerating over 30mph.

London's new Caetano e.City's on the other hand sound very peaceful. Granted being in London it's probably trundling along gently & not having to accelerate onto the Tyne Bridge from a standing start to 40/50mph. But still, listen to this:
Edited 24 Jul 2020, 9:00 am by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
24 Jul 2020, 8:59 am #1

Has anyone managed to ride the electric Metrocity GNE has on trial at the moment? I wondered what your thoughts of it were.

I haven't been on it myself, but having watched a few videos of it on YouTube it doesn't seem like the most peaceful sounding electric bus ever, or at least not when accelerating over 30mph.

London's new Caetano e.City's on the other hand sound very peaceful. Granted being in London it's probably trundling along gently & not having to accelerate onto the Tyne Bridge from a standing start to 40/50mph. But still, listen to this:

Storx

24 Jul 2020, 10:18 am #2
(24 Jul 2020, 8:59 am)ne14ne1 Has anyone managed to ride the electric Metrocity GNE has on trial at the moment? I wondered what your thoughts of it were.

The Metrocity might have a rougher engine noise but from those 2 videos I'd take it any day over the Caetano. The amount of rattles on there for a vehicle less than 6 month old is shocking. Wouldn't want to know what they're going to be like in a few year time. Engine noise you can just zone out most the time.
Storx
24 Jul 2020, 10:18 am #2

(24 Jul 2020, 8:59 am)ne14ne1 Has anyone managed to ride the electric Metrocity GNE has on trial at the moment? I wondered what your thoughts of it were.

The Metrocity might have a rougher engine noise but from those 2 videos I'd take it any day over the Caetano. The amount of rattles on there for a vehicle less than 6 month old is shocking. Wouldn't want to know what they're going to be like in a few year time. Engine noise you can just zone out most the time.

Big O

24 Jul 2020, 10:56 am #3
(24 Jul 2020, 10:18 am)Storx The Metrocity might have a rougher engine noise but from those 2 videos I'd take it any day over the Caetano. The amount of rattles on there for a vehicle less than 6 month old is shocking. Wouldn't want to know what they're going to be like in a few year time. Engine noise you can just zone out most the time.

The Caetano is said to be very good, however, and Abellio London is planning on ordering the Double Deck variant of it, with regards to the build quality I imagine it will get better over time. Look how much time Optare have needed to get it right Smile
Big O
24 Jul 2020, 10:56 am #3

(24 Jul 2020, 10:18 am)Storx The Metrocity might have a rougher engine noise but from those 2 videos I'd take it any day over the Caetano. The amount of rattles on there for a vehicle less than 6 month old is shocking. Wouldn't want to know what they're going to be like in a few year time. Engine noise you can just zone out most the time.

The Caetano is said to be very good, however, and Abellio London is planning on ordering the Double Deck variant of it, with regards to the build quality I imagine it will get better over time. Look how much time Optare have needed to get it right Smile

24 Jul 2020, 11:39 am #4
It’s truly Awful I was with Northeasttransport when he recorded and it’s awful
ThomasBooth123
24 Jul 2020, 11:39 am #4

It’s truly Awful I was with Northeasttransport when he recorded and it’s awful

24 Jul 2020, 4:56 pm #5
(24 Jul 2020, 11:39 am)ThomasBooth123 It’s truly Awful I was with Northeasttransport when he recorded and it’s awful

Even as someone who loves the whine of an electric motor (even over the sound of a diesel, which I prefer over petrol), that sounds bloody awful! 

I remember the E200EV sounding particularly nice, same with the Yutong they had on the X66.
streetdeckfan
24 Jul 2020, 4:56 pm #5

(24 Jul 2020, 11:39 am)ThomasBooth123 It’s truly Awful I was with Northeasttransport when he recorded and it’s awful

Even as someone who loves the whine of an electric motor (even over the sound of a diesel, which I prefer over petrol), that sounds bloody awful! 

I remember the E200EV sounding particularly nice, same with the Yutong they had on the X66.

ne14ne1

24 Jul 2020, 5:15 pm #6
(24 Jul 2020, 4:56 pm)streetdeckfan Even as someone who loves the whine of an electric motor (even over the sound of a diesel, which I prefer over petrol), that sounds bloody awful! 

I love the electric motor whine on electric or hybrid vehicles but it sounds like there might be other stuff going on with that Metrocity, I don’t know though, I’m no mechanic. 

I’d take an electric motor whine over the sound of a diesel any day.
ne14ne1
24 Jul 2020, 5:15 pm #6

(24 Jul 2020, 4:56 pm)streetdeckfan Even as someone who loves the whine of an electric motor (even over the sound of a diesel, which I prefer over petrol), that sounds bloody awful! 

I love the electric motor whine on electric or hybrid vehicles but it sounds like there might be other stuff going on with that Metrocity, I don’t know though, I’m no mechanic. 

24 Jul 2020, 5:29 pm #7
(24 Jul 2020, 5:15 pm)ne14ne1 I love the electric motor whine on electric or hybrid vehicles but it sounds like there might be other stuff going on with that Metrocity, I don’t know though, I’m no mechanic. 

From the video, it sounds like a dodgy bearing to me, although it could just be that they're using a crap motor!

My personal favourite is the Coaster hybrids, I love hearing the electric motor then the engine kicking in once it's on the move, it's the best of both worlds. Plus, you just can't beat the instant torque of electric!
streetdeckfan
24 Jul 2020, 5:29 pm #7

(24 Jul 2020, 5:15 pm)ne14ne1 I love the electric motor whine on electric or hybrid vehicles but it sounds like there might be other stuff going on with that Metrocity, I don’t know though, I’m no mechanic. 

From the video, it sounds like a dodgy bearing to me, although it could just be that they're using a crap motor!

My personal favourite is the Coaster hybrids, I love hearing the electric motor then the engine kicking in once it's on the move, it's the best of both worlds. Plus, you just can't beat the instant torque of electric!

Big O

24 Jul 2020, 11:31 pm #8
(24 Jul 2020, 5:29 pm)streetdeckfan From the video, it sounds like a dodgy bearing to me, although it could just be that they're using a crap motor!

The Euro6 models are class, if you ever go down to London, be sure to ride on one. I think when the electric motor kicks in, it has a combined output of 410HP, instant take off!
Big O
24 Jul 2020, 11:31 pm #8

(24 Jul 2020, 5:29 pm)streetdeckfan From the video, it sounds like a dodgy bearing to me, although it could just be that they're using a crap motor!

The Euro6 models are class, if you ever go down to London, be sure to ride on one. I think when the electric motor kicks in, it has a combined output of 410HP, instant take off!

ne14ne1

25 Jul 2020, 7:16 am #9
(24 Jul 2020, 11:31 pm)Big O The Euro6 models are class, if you ever go down to London, be sure to ride on one. I think when the electric motor kicks in, it has a combined output of 410HP, instant take off!

Yeah I was going to say the Gemini 3 hybrids in London are much better. They seem much smoother and seem to last purely on battery way longer than our Gemini 2 hybrids.
Our Coaster hybrids seem to only manage, what, maybe 10mph on battery before it feels there’s a complete lose of acceleration while the diesel starts up & the bus regains momentum. Don’t know if it’s a horrible gearbox but the transition from electric to diesel isn’t exactly seamless. 

When I used to commute on the 308 hybrids I’d cringe as they pulled out of the Corner House bus stop into busy fairly quick moving traffic & it felt like we lost all acceleration when the electric motor handed over to the Diesel engine.

How tech has developed since.
ne14ne1
25 Jul 2020, 7:16 am #9

(24 Jul 2020, 11:31 pm)Big O The Euro6 models are class, if you ever go down to London, be sure to ride on one. I think when the electric motor kicks in, it has a combined output of 410HP, instant take off!

Yeah I was going to say the Gemini 3 hybrids in London are much better. They seem much smoother and seem to last purely on battery way longer than our Gemini 2 hybrids.
Our Coaster hybrids seem to only manage, what, maybe 10mph on battery before it feels there’s a complete lose of acceleration while the diesel starts up & the bus regains momentum. Don’t know if it’s a horrible gearbox but the transition from electric to diesel isn’t exactly seamless. 

When I used to commute on the 308 hybrids I’d cringe as they pulled out of the Corner House bus stop into busy fairly quick moving traffic & it felt like we lost all acceleration when the electric motor handed over to the Diesel engine.

Big O

25 Jul 2020, 10:51 pm #10
(25 Jul 2020, 7:16 am)ne14ne1 Yeah I was going to say the Gemini 3 hybrids in London are much better. They seem much smoother and seem to last purely on battery way longer than our Gemini 2 hybrids.

Defo mate, its a shame the Euro5 models weren't so good, because I'm sure they were put off by them, as they were with the demonstrator B5TLs they had too. The Euro6 models are some of the best buses for both passenger and driver. They feel as if they float along the road. If GNE purchased them for a route like the 56 for example, they'd soon reap the benefits. They're very fuel-efficient and super reliable. Having said that I found an old document that might be of interest to some viewers. It shares a brief comparison between the E400H and B5LH. 

http://www.lowcvp.org.uk/assets/presenta...xpress.pdf
Big O
25 Jul 2020, 10:51 pm #10

(25 Jul 2020, 7:16 am)ne14ne1 Yeah I was going to say the Gemini 3 hybrids in London are much better. They seem much smoother and seem to last purely on battery way longer than our Gemini 2 hybrids.

Defo mate, its a shame the Euro5 models weren't so good, because I'm sure they were put off by them, as they were with the demonstrator B5TLs they had too. The Euro6 models are some of the best buses for both passenger and driver. They feel as if they float along the road. If GNE purchased them for a route like the 56 for example, they'd soon reap the benefits. They're very fuel-efficient and super reliable. Having said that I found an old document that might be of interest to some viewers. It shares a brief comparison between the E400H and B5LH. 

ne14ne1

26 Jul 2020, 7:51 am #11
(25 Jul 2020, 10:51 pm)Big O Defo mate, its a shame the Euro5 models weren't so good, because I'm sure they were put off by them, as they were with the demonstrator B5TLs they had too. The Euro6 models are some of the best buses for both passenger and driver. They feel as if they float along the road. If GNE purchased them for a route like the 56 for example, they'd soon reap the benefits. They're very fuel-efficient and super reliable. Having said that I found an old document that might be of interest to some viewers. It shares a brief comparison between the E400H and B5LH. 

Cheers, I’ll have a read of that later.
I agree, it would be nice to have some new hybrids in the fleet, and a start-stop local service like the 56 or 21 would be ideal. The improvement to passenger experience alone would be great, not having the noisy diesel growling the whole time, especially when the bus is idling or moving at lower speeds. 
I get they promote their Euro6 diesels as clean and green, but they’re still giving off some emissions. At least with modern hybrids there’ll be regular periods where they are emitting zero pollutants in our towns & cities, & reducing noise pullution too. 
All about the upfront investment though I suppose.
ne14ne1
26 Jul 2020, 7:51 am #11

(25 Jul 2020, 10:51 pm)Big O Defo mate, its a shame the Euro5 models weren't so good, because I'm sure they were put off by them, as they were with the demonstrator B5TLs they had too. The Euro6 models are some of the best buses for both passenger and driver. They feel as if they float along the road. If GNE purchased them for a route like the 56 for example, they'd soon reap the benefits. They're very fuel-efficient and super reliable. Having said that I found an old document that might be of interest to some viewers. It shares a brief comparison between the E400H and B5LH. 

Cheers, I’ll have a read of that later.
I agree, it would be nice to have some new hybrids in the fleet, and a start-stop local service like the 56 or 21 would be ideal. The improvement to passenger experience alone would be great, not having the noisy diesel growling the whole time, especially when the bus is idling or moving at lower speeds. 
I get they promote their Euro6 diesels as clean and green, but they’re still giving off some emissions. At least with modern hybrids there’ll be regular periods where they are emitting zero pollutants in our towns & cities, & reducing noise pullution too. 

26 Jul 2020, 8:56 am #12
(26 Jul 2020, 7:51 am)ne14ne1 Cheers, I’ll have a read of that later.

I do think Hybrids should still have a big part to play in the future of all transport, we're still a while away for BEV or Hydrogen vehicles being able to do long routes that we have up here. It's a shame that there's not more funding to buy none BEV vehicles so they could upgrade the likes of the 56 to hybrids.
deanmachine
26 Jul 2020, 8:56 am #12

(26 Jul 2020, 7:51 am)ne14ne1 Cheers, I’ll have a read of that later.

I do think Hybrids should still have a big part to play in the future of all transport, we're still a while away for BEV or Hydrogen vehicles being able to do long routes that we have up here. It's a shame that there's not more funding to buy none BEV vehicles so they could upgrade the likes of the 56 to hybrids.

26 Jul 2020, 12:37 pm #13

Don't they have an automated manual gearbox rather than proper automatic, hence the 'lurch' on the switch to diesel, and on gear changes.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
26 Jul 2020, 12:37 pm #13

Don't they have an automated manual gearbox rather than proper automatic, hence the 'lurch' on the switch to diesel, and on gear changes.

Big O

26 Jul 2020, 12:49 pm #14
(26 Jul 2020, 12:37 pm)streetdeckfan Don't they have an automated manual gearbox rather than proper automatic, hence the 'lurch' on the switch to diesel, and on gear changes.

Indeed, the 12 Speed I-Shift Gearbox, it's so much better on the Euro6 model however, there is no real lurch or throttle delay. It can run to about 20mph with the electric motor and then the engine kicks in.  Even passengers like the bus, which I've never seen before.

Does the 21 run on the A1 at all? Because if not it would be a perfect route, although the Euro6 model can run on dual carriageways happily, I think B5LH is better suited to routes that do not use a great proportion of dual carriageway work.
Big O
26 Jul 2020, 12:49 pm #14

(26 Jul 2020, 12:37 pm)streetdeckfan Don't they have an automated manual gearbox rather than proper automatic, hence the 'lurch' on the switch to diesel, and on gear changes.

Indeed, the 12 Speed I-Shift Gearbox, it's so much better on the Euro6 model however, there is no real lurch or throttle delay. It can run to about 20mph with the electric motor and then the engine kicks in.  Even passengers like the bus, which I've never seen before.

Does the 21 run on the A1 at all? Because if not it would be a perfect route, although the Euro6 model can run on dual carriageways happily, I think B5LH is better suited to routes that do not use a great proportion of dual carriageway work.

26 Jul 2020, 12:59 pm #15
(26 Jul 2020, 12:49 pm)Big O Indeed, the 12 Speed I-Shift Gearbox, it's so much better on the Euro6 model however, there is no real lurch or throttle delay. It can run to about 20mph with the electric motor and then the engine kicks in.  Even passengers like the bus, which I've never seen before.

I thought as much, although to be fair I quite like the feeling of the gearbox

The only bit of the 21 that is dual carriageway is the bit between Chester le Street and Pity Me, and it's only a couple miles.

I don't think we'll see a return of Hybrids on the Angel though, if they're keeping them for the long term, the increased upkeep once warranty expires may wipe out the cost savings of fuel.

streetdeckfan
26 Jul 2020, 12:59 pm #15

(26 Jul 2020, 12:49 pm)Big O Indeed, the 12 Speed I-Shift Gearbox, it's so much better on the Euro6 model however, there is no real lurch or throttle delay. It can run to about 20mph with the electric motor and then the engine kicks in.  Even passengers like the bus, which I've never seen before.

I thought as much, although to be fair I quite like the feeling of the gearbox

The only bit of the 21 that is dual carriageway is the bit between Chester le Street and Pity Me, and it's only a couple miles.

I don't think we'll see a return of Hybrids on the Angel though, if they're keeping them for the long term, the increased upkeep once warranty expires may wipe out the cost savings of fuel.

ne14ne1

11 Aug 2020, 3:08 pm #16
The charging points and protective barriers have now been installed at the front of Riverside.
ne14ne1
11 Aug 2020, 3:08 pm #16

The charging points and protective barriers have now been installed at the front of Riverside.

ne14ne1

21 Aug 2020, 12:08 pm #17
Did the Metrocity demo make it onto the Q3 & 58 at all?
ne14ne1
21 Aug 2020, 12:08 pm #17

Did the Metrocity demo make it onto the Q3 & 58 at all?

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Aug 2020, 1:03 pm #18
(21 Aug 2020, 12:08 pm)ne14ne1 Did the Metrocity demo make it onto the Q3 & 58 at all?

It returns from MOT today, and will be used on the Q3 from next week.
Dan
21 Aug 2020, 1:03 pm #18

(21 Aug 2020, 12:08 pm)ne14ne1 Did the Metrocity demo make it onto the Q3 & 58 at all?

It returns from MOT today, and will be used on the Q3 from next week.

21 Aug 2020, 1:43 pm #19
(21 Aug 2020, 1:03 pm)Dan It returns from MOT today, and will be used on the Q3 from next week.

How long is it sticking around this time?

I presume it'll be around longer than usual since there's less demand for demo vehicles at the minute, especially expensive ones.
streetdeckfan
21 Aug 2020, 1:43 pm #19

(21 Aug 2020, 1:03 pm)Dan It returns from MOT today, and will be used on the Q3 from next week.

How long is it sticking around this time?

I presume it'll be around longer than usual since there's less demand for demo vehicles at the minute, especially expensive ones.

ne14ne1

24 Aug 2020, 3:52 pm #20
Photos/tweet by MG of the Metrocity demo out on the Q3:

[Image: EgL_PELX0AENx_K?format=jpg&name=small]

https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE/status/12...95297?s=20
ne14ne1
24 Aug 2020, 3:52 pm #20

Photos/tweet by MG of the Metrocity demo out on the Q3:

[Image: EgL_PELX0AENx_K?format=jpg&name=small]

https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE/status/12...95297?s=20

Pages (21): 1 2 321 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average