Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Electric vehicles

Electric vehicles

Electric vehicles

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (21): Previous 1 2 321 Next
ne14ne1

08 Sep 2020, 10:15 am #21
I was thinking, I hope the new electrics don't get a green livery. If the Saltwell Park brand is retained then the nature of the brand and the new vehicle's environmental credentials would both make green the obvious choice.
However there seems to be quite a bit of green in town (Newcastle) now with the Xlines X30/31/45/46/47/70/71, Green Arrows 97 & Saltwell Park 53/54 (which obviously the electrics will eventually replace).

On the other hand, there will be very little red in town, with just the back of the new Xlines X1s, and the few 33(A)s. For red being GNE's corporate colour thats not really a lot, and as I say it's only visible in Newcastle on the 33s or the odd spare.

I kind of get that they want to keep the Crusader brand as the name has local connotations, and a branded service may be more easily spotted when Metro passengers have to look out for the 26/27 as a replacement during Metro suspensions/failures etc.
I also kind of get that the 56 will still warrant a brand, and if it is indeed on the lines of Citylink/Cityconnect 56 that makes sense as it raises awareness that people can use it to get into Newcastle or Sunderland, or from one to the other.
I personally would like to see the 57 & 58 debranded however & left as corporate red, as they aren't "flagship" routes. They're simply local routes that aren't really competing with other bus companies or other modes of public transport. (I think the 97 should have went the same way but it's too late now).

What do you guys think about the new electrics. Do you think the Saltwell Park name will be dropped in favour of the focusing on it's zero emissions? Then again, renaming it to something with Electric in the title, for example, & giving it an electric themed livery may not look great in years to come if they aren't replaced with more fully electric vehicles.
And what happens when they purchase electrics for other routes, e.g. 58 or Quaylinks. Would those routes also have to become part of the electric brand's family, despite the routes not being related. Then further in the future when most buses are electric/hydrogen etc will all routes be shouting I'm electric, rather than it just being the norm? Difficult one. I suppose you just have to concentrate on the here and now and promote the new electrics for the 53/54 as clean green superior public transport machines to get people onboard.

EDIT - Just remembered the 25 & 28 are also corporate red routes in Newcastle. Thats still not alot, especially when you come back from cities like Edinburgh where the buses all look so smart & unified.
ne14ne1
08 Sep 2020, 10:15 am #21

I was thinking, I hope the new electrics don't get a green livery. If the Saltwell Park brand is retained then the nature of the brand and the new vehicle's environmental credentials would both make green the obvious choice.
However there seems to be quite a bit of green in town (Newcastle) now with the Xlines X30/31/45/46/47/70/71, Green Arrows 97 & Saltwell Park 53/54 (which obviously the electrics will eventually replace).

On the other hand, there will be very little red in town, with just the back of the new Xlines X1s, and the few 33(A)s. For red being GNE's corporate colour thats not really a lot, and as I say it's only visible in Newcastle on the 33s or the odd spare.

I kind of get that they want to keep the Crusader brand as the name has local connotations, and a branded service may be more easily spotted when Metro passengers have to look out for the 26/27 as a replacement during Metro suspensions/failures etc.
I also kind of get that the 56 will still warrant a brand, and if it is indeed on the lines of Citylink/Cityconnect 56 that makes sense as it raises awareness that people can use it to get into Newcastle or Sunderland, or from one to the other.
I personally would like to see the 57 & 58 debranded however & left as corporate red, as they aren't "flagship" routes. They're simply local routes that aren't really competing with other bus companies or other modes of public transport. (I think the 97 should have went the same way but it's too late now).

What do you guys think about the new electrics. Do you think the Saltwell Park name will be dropped in favour of the focusing on it's zero emissions? Then again, renaming it to something with Electric in the title, for example, & giving it an electric themed livery may not look great in years to come if they aren't replaced with more fully electric vehicles.
And what happens when they purchase electrics for other routes, e.g. 58 or Quaylinks. Would those routes also have to become part of the electric brand's family, despite the routes not being related. Then further in the future when most buses are electric/hydrogen etc will all routes be shouting I'm electric, rather than it just being the norm? Difficult one. I suppose you just have to concentrate on the here and now and promote the new electrics for the 53/54 as clean green superior public transport machines to get people onboard.

EDIT - Just remembered the 25 & 28 are also corporate red routes in Newcastle. Thats still not alot, especially when you come back from cities like Edinburgh where the buses all look so smart & unified.

08 Sep 2020, 10:23 am #22
(08 Sep 2020, 10:15 am)ne14ne1 I was thinking, I hope the new electrics don't get a green livery. If the Saltwell Park brand is retained then the nature of the brand and the new vehicle's environmental credentials would both make green the obvious choice.

And what happens when they purchase electrics for other routes, e.g. 58 or Quaylinks. Would those routes also have to become part of the electric brand's family, despite the routes not being related. In the future when most buses are electric/hydrogen etc will all routes be shouting I'm electric, rather than it just being the norm. Difficult one. I suppose you just have to concentrate on the here and now and promote the new electrics for the 53/54 as clean green superior public transport machines to get people onboard.

EDIT - Just remembered the 25 & 28 are also corporate red routes in Newcastle.

I believe it was confirmed already that the EVs will be getting their own special branding, whether or not it's dedicated branding, or just a variation of the current Saltwell Park branding that's been 'electrified' I don't know.
I personally would quite like to see something different that stands out.
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 10:23 am #22

(08 Sep 2020, 10:15 am)ne14ne1 I was thinking, I hope the new electrics don't get a green livery. If the Saltwell Park brand is retained then the nature of the brand and the new vehicle's environmental credentials would both make green the obvious choice.

And what happens when they purchase electrics for other routes, e.g. 58 or Quaylinks. Would those routes also have to become part of the electric brand's family, despite the routes not being related. In the future when most buses are electric/hydrogen etc will all routes be shouting I'm electric, rather than it just being the norm. Difficult one. I suppose you just have to concentrate on the here and now and promote the new electrics for the 53/54 as clean green superior public transport machines to get people onboard.

EDIT - Just remembered the 25 & 28 are also corporate red routes in Newcastle.

I believe it was confirmed already that the EVs will be getting their own special branding, whether or not it's dedicated branding, or just a variation of the current Saltwell Park branding that's been 'electrified' I don't know.

ne14ne1

08 Sep 2020, 10:29 am #23
(08 Sep 2020, 10:23 am)streetdeckfan I believe it was confirmed already that the EVs will be getting their own special branding, whether or not it's dedicated branding, or just a variation of the current Saltwell Park branding that's been 'electrified' I don't know.

What, apposed to all the other route brands that aren't screaming look at me?  Big Grin Wink  Only joking, I appreciate they'll want to bring attention to the fact they're the regions first fully electric buses, and rightly so.
ne14ne1
08 Sep 2020, 10:29 am #23

(08 Sep 2020, 10:23 am)streetdeckfan I believe it was confirmed already that the EVs will be getting their own special branding, whether or not it's dedicated branding, or just a variation of the current Saltwell Park branding that's been 'electrified' I don't know.

What, apposed to all the other route brands that aren't screaming look at me?  Big Grin Wink  Only joking, I appreciate they'll want to bring attention to the fact they're the regions first fully electric buses, and rightly so.

Andreos1

08 Sep 2020, 11:32 am #24

And what happens when they purchase electrics for other routes, e.g. 58 or Quaylinks. Would those routes also have to become part of the electric brand's family, despite the routes not being related. Then further in the future when most buses are electric/hydrogen etc will all routes be shouting I'm electric, rather than it just being the norm?
Difficult one. I suppose you just have to concentrate on the here and now and promote the new electrics for the 53/54 as clean green superior public transport machines to get people onboard.

They kept the 21 green on this batch of deckers after they initially changed the colour for the B5 hybrids.
No idea if that means anything or gives us a clue as to what will happen going forward.

Back in the day, I think they could have played on the Joseph Swan connection somehow and tied it in with electric light bulbs or something naff like that. However, I think the branding department have matured a bit in recent years.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
08 Sep 2020, 11:32 am #24

And what happens when they purchase electrics for other routes, e.g. 58 or Quaylinks. Would those routes also have to become part of the electric brand's family, despite the routes not being related. Then further in the future when most buses are electric/hydrogen etc will all routes be shouting I'm electric, rather than it just being the norm?
Difficult one. I suppose you just have to concentrate on the here and now and promote the new electrics for the 53/54 as clean green superior public transport machines to get people onboard.

They kept the 21 green on this batch of deckers after they initially changed the colour for the B5 hybrids.
No idea if that means anything or gives us a clue as to what will happen going forward.

Back in the day, I think they could have played on the Joseph Swan connection somehow and tied it in with electric light bulbs or something naff like that. However, I think the branding department have matured a bit in recent years.

ne14ne1

08 Sep 2020, 3:53 pm #25
(08 Sep 2020, 11:32 am)Andreos1 They kept the 21 green on this batch of deckers after they initially changed the colour for the B5 hybrids.

Good point! I forgot about the Angel turning green because it previously switched to Hybrids, but then was left green when the Streetdecks were brought in. I wonder if it will eventually see a completely different colour when it either gets put into the "road strip" design or when its due new vehicles, (whichever comes first). A different colour would make it noticeable again as everyones used to its current look/colour.

I agree recent branding has generally been better, so looking forward to the unveiling of the electric's livery.
ne14ne1
08 Sep 2020, 3:53 pm #25

(08 Sep 2020, 11:32 am)Andreos1 They kept the 21 green on this batch of deckers after they initially changed the colour for the B5 hybrids.

Good point! I forgot about the Angel turning green because it previously switched to Hybrids, but then was left green when the Streetdecks were brought in. I wonder if it will eventually see a completely different colour when it either gets put into the "road strip" design or when its due new vehicles, (whichever comes first). A different colour would make it noticeable again as everyones used to its current look/colour.

I agree recent branding has generally been better, so looking forward to the unveiling of the electric's livery.

Storx

08 Sep 2020, 4:36 pm #26

You missed the 6 and 12 aswell Tongue but to counter act that you missed the green on 10. I wouldn't do any red brands personally if I was GNE as unless you make a large variation to it on the front (eyes on Red Kite) it just looks like a corporate bus which kind of defeats the point of a brand. The Black Cats are really bad for that. I'd like to see more Purple and Black personally as there's nothing in Newcastle / Gateshead now. Infact there's no black brands in the whole GNE fleet now bar the redundant Toonlink.

Not too sure about the 58 not being a flagship route though it's a busy one imo and I wouldn't regard it as a secondary service which quite often gets new buses (rumoured to be the next electric route). It's certainly at the same level as the 53, 54, Q1 and Q2. I'd like to see the 56, 57 and 58 all come as one brand maybe with colour varients and maybe scrap the citylink brand with something new or totally redo it, the branding is a bit outdated now imo.

I think the recolour of the Angel though was to try and move on from the absymal service it had for the 5 years before and rather questionable decisions for it. Omnicities and 2nd hand dual door buses as much as the green credentials.
Storx
08 Sep 2020, 4:36 pm #26

You missed the 6 and 12 aswell Tongue but to counter act that you missed the green on 10. I wouldn't do any red brands personally if I was GNE as unless you make a large variation to it on the front (eyes on Red Kite) it just looks like a corporate bus which kind of defeats the point of a brand. The Black Cats are really bad for that. I'd like to see more Purple and Black personally as there's nothing in Newcastle / Gateshead now. Infact there's no black brands in the whole GNE fleet now bar the redundant Toonlink.

Not too sure about the 58 not being a flagship route though it's a busy one imo and I wouldn't regard it as a secondary service which quite often gets new buses (rumoured to be the next electric route). It's certainly at the same level as the 53, 54, Q1 and Q2. I'd like to see the 56, 57 and 58 all come as one brand maybe with colour varients and maybe scrap the citylink brand with something new or totally redo it, the branding is a bit outdated now imo.

I think the recolour of the Angel though was to try and move on from the absymal service it had for the 5 years before and rather questionable decisions for it. Omnicities and 2nd hand dual door buses as much as the green credentials.

ne14ne1

08 Sep 2020, 4:56 pm #27
(08 Sep 2020, 4:36 pm)Storx You missed the 6 and 12 aswell Tongue but to counter act that you missed the green on 10. I wouldn't do any red brands personally if I was GNE as unless you make a large variation to it on the front (eyes on Red Kite) it just looks like a corporate bus which kind of defeats the point of a brand. The Black Cats are really bad for that. I'd like to see more Purple and Black personally as there's nothing in Newcastle / Gateshead now. Infact there's no black brands in the whole GNE fleet now bar the redundant Toonlink.

Of course, the Tyne Valley Ten, even more green!

Fair point on the 6 & 12 being corporate, I forgot about those recently changing.

I love black on cars and coaches, but not on service buses for some reason. Rather than posh or sleek I always think black service buses look naff or like a ghost bus tour. 

I don’t think it matters how busy routes 57 & 58 are, they just don’t need to be branded. 

Imagine if every bus was in an overall advert. It would pretty much defeat the purpose as no one would take notice, as it wouldn’t catch your eye if it was ‘the norm‘.

Having more plain corporate liveried routes would help the flagship/branded & premium (XLines) routes really stand out.
ne14ne1
08 Sep 2020, 4:56 pm #27

(08 Sep 2020, 4:36 pm)Storx You missed the 6 and 12 aswell Tongue but to counter act that you missed the green on 10. I wouldn't do any red brands personally if I was GNE as unless you make a large variation to it on the front (eyes on Red Kite) it just looks like a corporate bus which kind of defeats the point of a brand. The Black Cats are really bad for that. I'd like to see more Purple and Black personally as there's nothing in Newcastle / Gateshead now. Infact there's no black brands in the whole GNE fleet now bar the redundant Toonlink.

Of course, the Tyne Valley Ten, even more green!

Fair point on the 6 & 12 being corporate, I forgot about those recently changing.

I love black on cars and coaches, but not on service buses for some reason. Rather than posh or sleek I always think black service buses look naff or like a ghost bus tour. 

I don’t think it matters how busy routes 57 & 58 are, they just don’t need to be branded. 

Imagine if every bus was in an overall advert. It would pretty much defeat the purpose as no one would take notice, as it wouldn’t catch your eye if it was ‘the norm‘.

Having more plain corporate liveried routes would help the flagship/branded & premium (XLines) routes really stand out.

Storx

08 Sep 2020, 5:13 pm #28
(08 Sep 2020, 4:56 pm)ne14ne1 Of course, the Tyne Valley Ten, even more green!

Imagine if every bus was in an overall advert. It would pretty much defeat the purpose as no one would take notice, as it wouldn’t catch your eye if it was ‘the norm‘.

I like black me like but only if it's done well. Some of GNE's in the past have been a bit naff Toonlink and Fast Cats in particular. The Witchway (https://transportdesigned.com/wp-content...tchway.jpg) and 36 (https://nucleusimagery.blob.core.windows...3d0bb0f155) are two really nice liveries imo and would look good on something like the Tyne Valley Ten which is a bit all over the place atm. Look premium.

I still think the 57 and 58 deserve a brand though and should be lumped in with the 56 which is awful by any stretch. They're more important than stuff like the Green Arrows which has kept it's brand and don't really compete against the X-Lines anyway personally I'd rather have every bus upto or close to the standard of the X-Lines minus tables.

Q1/Q2 - 53/54 - 56/57/58 - 21 - 97 - 1

They should be the blocks of normal branded services in Gateshead imo as they're the most important ones, then have everything else as corporate there's enough services; 6/12/49/67/69/93/94/25/28/29 and all those are less popular than the 58 by some stretch.
Storx
08 Sep 2020, 5:13 pm #28

Imagine if every bus was in an overall advert. It would pretty much defeat the purpose as no one would take notice, as it wouldn’t catch your eye if it was ‘the norm‘.

I like black me like but only if it's done well. Some of GNE's in the past have been a bit naff Toonlink and Fast Cats in particular. The Witchway (https://transportdesigned.com/wp-content...tchway.jpg) and 36 (https://nucleusimagery.blob.core.windows...3d0bb0f155) are two really nice liveries imo and would look good on something like the Tyne Valley Ten which is a bit all over the place atm. Look premium.

I still think the 57 and 58 deserve a brand though and should be lumped in with the 56 which is awful by any stretch. They're more important than stuff like the Green Arrows which has kept it's brand and don't really compete against the X-Lines anyway personally I'd rather have every bus upto or close to the standard of the X-Lines minus tables.

Q1/Q2 - 53/54 - 56/57/58 - 21 - 97 - 1

They should be the blocks of normal branded services in Gateshead imo as they're the most important ones, then have everything else as corporate there's enough services; 6/12/49/67/69/93/94/25/28/29 and all those are less popular than the 58 by some stretch.

08 Sep 2020, 5:16 pm #29

I don't like black, but I really do like the charcoal X-Lines livery. Looks very smart IMO
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 5:16 pm #29

I don't like black, but I really do like the charcoal X-Lines livery. Looks very smart IMO

08 Sep 2020, 5:30 pm #30

Interesting point. While the X lines buses are really smart, I agree with your point, the livery for the Electric Buses won't really stand out. There's all shades of Green in Newcastle. One thing I liked about GNE is that they make the buses colourful. You can see all the different colours and makes the buses seem nicer and brighter than a dull livery like First or Stagecoach.

On the other side of the Tyne, most of the buses look rather similar. as it's either Corporate or Black Cats. I'm not a fan of the Black Cats brand as it looks far too similar to any other GNE bus. The only ones that sort of stand out in Sunderland for me is the Prince Bishops, Drifter and 56 services. Everything else just feels rather 'boring' in shades of red, although obviously, red is the main corporate colour of GNE. I think more colours in Sunderland etc. and less green in Newcastle would be good.
Adtrainsam
08 Sep 2020, 5:30 pm #30

Interesting point. While the X lines buses are really smart, I agree with your point, the livery for the Electric Buses won't really stand out. There's all shades of Green in Newcastle. One thing I liked about GNE is that they make the buses colourful. You can see all the different colours and makes the buses seem nicer and brighter than a dull livery like First or Stagecoach.

On the other side of the Tyne, most of the buses look rather similar. as it's either Corporate or Black Cats. I'm not a fan of the Black Cats brand as it looks far too similar to any other GNE bus. The only ones that sort of stand out in Sunderland for me is the Prince Bishops, Drifter and 56 services. Everything else just feels rather 'boring' in shades of red, although obviously, red is the main corporate colour of GNE. I think more colours in Sunderland etc. and less green in Newcastle would be good.

08 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm #31
(08 Sep 2020, 5:30 pm)Adtrainsam Interesting point. While the X lines buses are really smart, I agree with your point, the livery for the Electric Buses won't really stand out. There's all shades of Green in Newcastle. One thing I liked about GNE is that they make the buses colourful. You can see all the different colours and makes the buses seem nicer and brighter than a dull livery like First or Stagecoach.

I think there's going to be far too much Gold in Newcastle as well.
X-lines stands out when there's only a few buses, but the issue with making things express purely for the branding, like they did with the Red Kites, is that everything is going to look the same.
There's the X1, X21, X30, X31, X70, X71, X84 and X85 all running from Eldon Square, all gold at the front.
It's going to be an absolute nightmare figuring out which one is which when they inevitably end up at the wrong stand. Sure, they've got that little stripe of colour on the front, but when you're in a rush you won't see it.
Plus, after a week or two, people just aren't going to take notice anymore, whereas when it's just the X21 and X30, you still see people point at them after a year
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm #31

(08 Sep 2020, 5:30 pm)Adtrainsam Interesting point. While the X lines buses are really smart, I agree with your point, the livery for the Electric Buses won't really stand out. There's all shades of Green in Newcastle. One thing I liked about GNE is that they make the buses colourful. You can see all the different colours and makes the buses seem nicer and brighter than a dull livery like First or Stagecoach.

I think there's going to be far too much Gold in Newcastle as well.
X-lines stands out when there's only a few buses, but the issue with making things express purely for the branding, like they did with the Red Kites, is that everything is going to look the same.
There's the X1, X21, X30, X31, X70, X71, X84 and X85 all running from Eldon Square, all gold at the front.
It's going to be an absolute nightmare figuring out which one is which when they inevitably end up at the wrong stand. Sure, they've got that little stripe of colour on the front, but when you're in a rush you won't see it.
Plus, after a week or two, people just aren't going to take notice anymore, whereas when it's just the X21 and X30, you still see people point at them after a year

Storx

08 Sep 2020, 5:55 pm #32
(08 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm)streetdeckfan I think there's going to be far too much Gold in Newcastle as well.

Consett is the worst for that pretty much every service there is gold / yellow (Venture is very close to gold). The X Lines there, in a way, has been overdone a bit too much for my liking as it's just the 'normal' bus livery pretty much. Arriva done the same at Blyth where it's either minibus or Max so the Max livery isn't a premium service - it's just a normal bus and anything non Max is just old. I understand the reasons behind X-Lines though.
Storx
08 Sep 2020, 5:55 pm #32

(08 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm)streetdeckfan I think there's going to be far too much Gold in Newcastle as well.

Consett is the worst for that pretty much every service there is gold / yellow (Venture is very close to gold). The X Lines there, in a way, has been overdone a bit too much for my liking as it's just the 'normal' bus livery pretty much. Arriva done the same at Blyth where it's either minibus or Max so the Max livery isn't a premium service - it's just a normal bus and anything non Max is just old. I understand the reasons behind X-Lines though.

08 Sep 2020, 6:06 pm #33
(08 Sep 2020, 5:55 pm)Storx Consett is the worst for that pretty much every service there is gold / yellow (Venture is very close to gold). The X Lines there, in a way, has been overdone a bit too much for my liking as it's just the 'normal' bus livery pretty much. Arriva done the same at Blyth where it's either minibus or Max so the Max livery isn't a premium service - it's just a normal bus and anything non Max is just old. I understand the reasons behind X-Lines though.
The issue is, as much as they'd like it to be, Consett isn't exactly somewhere you want to go (no offence to people from Consett, but I ain't wrong). It's somewhere you commute from. And in that regard, I think only having Xlines and Venture isn't a bad thing. You're either going to be travelling very locally, and use Venture, or quite far away, and use Xlines.

Imo, they should have had one, maybe 2 Xlines routes from Consett to Newcastle, but with having literally every service Xlines, they're trying to have too much of a good thing, and in the short term it may work, but soon enough people are going to realise it's essentially the same service, taking the same route it always did, it's just going to become a flop like Sapphire and Max.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 6:06 pm #33

(08 Sep 2020, 5:55 pm)Storx Consett is the worst for that pretty much every service there is gold / yellow (Venture is very close to gold). The X Lines there, in a way, has been overdone a bit too much for my liking as it's just the 'normal' bus livery pretty much. Arriva done the same at Blyth where it's either minibus or Max so the Max livery isn't a premium service - it's just a normal bus and anything non Max is just old. I understand the reasons behind X-Lines though.
The issue is, as much as they'd like it to be, Consett isn't exactly somewhere you want to go (no offence to people from Consett, but I ain't wrong). It's somewhere you commute from. And in that regard, I think only having Xlines and Venture isn't a bad thing. You're either going to be travelling very locally, and use Venture, or quite far away, and use Xlines.

Imo, they should have had one, maybe 2 Xlines routes from Consett to Newcastle, but with having literally every service Xlines, they're trying to have too much of a good thing, and in the short term it may work, but soon enough people are going to realise it's essentially the same service, taking the same route it always did, it's just going to become a flop like Sapphire and Max.

Storx

08 Sep 2020, 6:22 pm #34
(08 Sep 2020, 6:06 pm)streetdeckfan The issue is, as much as they'd like it to be, Consett isn't exactly somewhere you want to go (no offence to people from Consett, but I ain't wrong). It's somewhere you commute from. And in that regard, I think only having Xlines and Venture isn't a bad thing. You're either going to be travelling very locally, and use Venture, or quite far away, and use Xlines.

Must say this is a very confusing reply. The top part disagrees with what I said and the 2nd part says the total opposite and agrees haha.

The X45/X46/X47 is the odd one out for me and it shoudn't be part of it. The Red Kite was a strong brand as it was and obviously I don't have stats to back it up but, a strong rebrand with the emphasis on the Red Kites and the new buses and features would do as well. People like localised stuff and it's one of the few brands in the North East that nailed it imo and it's not a express services on route or an express service of another route at all so there's going to be very disappointed people when they discover the branding makes no sense. 308/X7/X8 at Blyth prime examples for the same problem with Max. Least the X30 etc is an express 6; X20 20, X21 21, X1 4/56, X84/X85 10 etc. The X15 is questionable aswell.

The X30/X31/X70/X71 should definitely be X-Lines though
Storx
08 Sep 2020, 6:22 pm #34

(08 Sep 2020, 6:06 pm)streetdeckfan The issue is, as much as they'd like it to be, Consett isn't exactly somewhere you want to go (no offence to people from Consett, but I ain't wrong). It's somewhere you commute from. And in that regard, I think only having Xlines and Venture isn't a bad thing. You're either going to be travelling very locally, and use Venture, or quite far away, and use Xlines.

Must say this is a very confusing reply. The top part disagrees with what I said and the 2nd part says the total opposite and agrees haha.

The X45/X46/X47 is the odd one out for me and it shoudn't be part of it. The Red Kite was a strong brand as it was and obviously I don't have stats to back it up but, a strong rebrand with the emphasis on the Red Kites and the new buses and features would do as well. People like localised stuff and it's one of the few brands in the North East that nailed it imo and it's not a express services on route or an express service of another route at all so there's going to be very disappointed people when they discover the branding makes no sense. 308/X7/X8 at Blyth prime examples for the same problem with Max. Least the X30 etc is an express 6; X20 20, X21 21, X1 4/56, X84/X85 10 etc. The X15 is questionable aswell.

Ds1197

08 Sep 2020, 6:31 pm #35
They only thing questionable about been X-Lines is the X45/46/47 because they mainly a stopper service but I think the main reason giving is they X45 and X46 take about the same between Newcastle and Consett as the X70 and X71
I think the quickest service is the hourly X30
Ds1197
08 Sep 2020, 6:31 pm #35

They only thing questionable about been X-Lines is the X45/46/47 because they mainly a stopper service but I think the main reason giving is they X45 and X46 take about the same between Newcastle and Consett as the X70 and X71
I think the quickest service is the hourly X30

08 Sep 2020, 6:34 pm #36
(08 Sep 2020, 6:22 pm)Storx Must say this is a very confusing reply. The top part disagrees with what I said and the 2nd part says the total opposite and agrees haha.

I'm typing it on my phone while cooking so I'm not surprised it doesn't make sense!

Basically, I think they should have kept 45/46 as they were, but added an Xlines variant alongside either the 45 or 46, similar to the X21 and 21.

To me, an express route is more about the end to end, rather than picking people up along the way, so for all intents and purposes, the 45 and 46 are the same route. No need to have both as express.

X47, I can sort of understand, it's faster than the 10A.

streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 6:34 pm #36

(08 Sep 2020, 6:22 pm)Storx Must say this is a very confusing reply. The top part disagrees with what I said and the 2nd part says the total opposite and agrees haha.

I'm typing it on my phone while cooking so I'm not surprised it doesn't make sense!

Basically, I think they should have kept 45/46 as they were, but added an Xlines variant alongside either the 45 or 46, similar to the X21 and 21.

To me, an express route is more about the end to end, rather than picking people up along the way, so for all intents and purposes, the 45 and 46 are the same route. No need to have both as express.

X47, I can sort of understand, it's faster than the 10A.

S813 FVK

08 Sep 2020, 6:38 pm #37

Agree re the Red Kite and localised brands. Would prefer to see that over XLines any day of the week. Totally get the change though.

Aside from being forced to rebrand due to interworking patterns being introduced at the time (X31), the services having roughly the same end-to-end journey time as the X70/X71 even before the non-stopping between Metrocentre and Newcastle probably helped justify the rebrand further.
S813 FVK
08 Sep 2020, 6:38 pm #37

Agree re the Red Kite and localised brands. Would prefer to see that over XLines any day of the week. Totally get the change though.

Aside from being forced to rebrand due to interworking patterns being introduced at the time (X31), the services having roughly the same end-to-end journey time as the X70/X71 even before the non-stopping between Metrocentre and Newcastle probably helped justify the rebrand further.

Storx

08 Sep 2020, 7:02 pm #38
(08 Sep 2020, 6:38 pm)S813 FVK Agree re the Red Kite and localised brands. Would prefer to see that over XLines any day of the week. Totally get the change though.

Surely though that would be more the X70/X71 shouldn't be X-Lines either from Consett's perspective. Neither of them are exactly express services anyway. Least the X70/X71 has express parts along the route for example the 6 from Dipton and Sunniside then it's the express service to Team Valley and Lobley Hill from Gateshead vs the 1 and 97 but really ever since the 43 and 44 we're scrapped they're not really express services either really. The X45/46/47 doesn't have anything at all bar the 10A from Blackhall Mill but that's scraping the bar a bit, they're not really the same route.

The allocations is a fair reason though mind and I do understand why they've done it to improve passengers but long term it'll become worthless like Max at Blyth imo.

Back to the original discussion though and talking of local brands I hope the Saltwell Park brand does stay in some form as it's another of the few brands that has some local connection rather than your generic and pointless ones like Fab 56, Citylink, The Loop etc.
Storx
08 Sep 2020, 7:02 pm #38

(08 Sep 2020, 6:38 pm)S813 FVK Agree re the Red Kite and localised brands. Would prefer to see that over XLines any day of the week. Totally get the change though.

Surely though that would be more the X70/X71 shouldn't be X-Lines either from Consett's perspective. Neither of them are exactly express services anyway. Least the X70/X71 has express parts along the route for example the 6 from Dipton and Sunniside then it's the express service to Team Valley and Lobley Hill from Gateshead vs the 1 and 97 but really ever since the 43 and 44 we're scrapped they're not really express services either really. The X45/46/47 doesn't have anything at all bar the 10A from Blackhall Mill but that's scraping the bar a bit, they're not really the same route.

The allocations is a fair reason though mind and I do understand why they've done it to improve passengers but long term it'll become worthless like Max at Blyth imo.

Back to the original discussion though and talking of local brands I hope the Saltwell Park brand does stay in some form as it's another of the few brands that has some local connection rather than your generic and pointless ones like Fab 56, Citylink, The Loop etc.

Andreos1

08 Sep 2020, 7:10 pm #39
(08 Sep 2020, 7:02 pm)Storx Surely though that would be more the X70/X71 shouldn't be X-Lines either from Consett's perspective. Neither of them are exactly express services anyway. Least the X70/X71 has express parts along the route for example the 6 from Dipton and Sunniside then it's the express service to Team Valley and Lobley Hill from Gateshead vs the 1 and 97 but really ever since the 43 and 44 we're scrapped they're not really express services either really. The X45/46/47 doesn't have anything at all bar the 10A from Blackhall Mill but that's scraping the bar a bit, they're not really the same route. 

I'm surprised more hasn't been done to speed up the X1. It can be painful at times due to the stop/start nature of the southern portion of the route.
In addition to speeding up journies so it was comparible with the X5 of yore, it could have also assisted with marketing and the subsequent reduction in frequency/PVR.

Andreos1
08 Sep 2020, 7:10 pm #39

(08 Sep 2020, 7:02 pm)Storx Surely though that would be more the X70/X71 shouldn't be X-Lines either from Consett's perspective. Neither of them are exactly express services anyway. Least the X70/X71 has express parts along the route for example the 6 from Dipton and Sunniside then it's the express service to Team Valley and Lobley Hill from Gateshead vs the 1 and 97 but really ever since the 43 and 44 we're scrapped they're not really express services either really. The X45/46/47 doesn't have anything at all bar the 10A from Blackhall Mill but that's scraping the bar a bit, they're not really the same route. 

I'm surprised more hasn't been done to speed up the X1. It can be painful at times due to the stop/start nature of the southern portion of the route.
In addition to speeding up journies so it was comparible with the X5 of yore, it could have also assisted with marketing and the subsequent reduction in frequency/PVR.

08 Sep 2020, 7:11 pm #40

Perhaps they'll brand it as E-Lines!
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2020, 7:11 pm #40

Perhaps they'll brand it as E-Lines!

Pages (21): Previous 1 2 321 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average