Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Gosforth Single Lane Traffic

Gosforth Single Lane Traffic

Gosforth Single Lane Traffic

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2
29 Aug 2020, 9:30 pm #21
(29 Aug 2020, 9:28 pm)Adrian You've disagreed by echoing my point really. The failing is people that are too ignorant or think they know better than to use them, not the system itself.

I agree with your reasoning for them not working, I just happen to think they wouldn't work regardless

Actually, I wouldn't say regardless. In a store with a purpose designed layout, it would work. ie. duplicate aisles with more variety on each so if one person is stopped at the bread, you can just go to another aisle and pick it up, whereas with current layouts, if 10 people want a tin of beans, you're in for a long wait

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
29 Aug 2020, 9:30 pm #21

(29 Aug 2020, 9:28 pm)Adrian You've disagreed by echoing my point really. The failing is people that are too ignorant or think they know better than to use them, not the system itself.

I agree with your reasoning for them not working, I just happen to think they wouldn't work regardless

Actually, I wouldn't say regardless. In a store with a purpose designed layout, it would work. ie. duplicate aisles with more variety on each so if one person is stopped at the bread, you can just go to another aisle and pick it up, whereas with current layouts, if 10 people want a tin of beans, you're in for a long wait

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Storx

30 Aug 2020, 12:03 am #22
(29 Aug 2020, 8:37 pm)Adrian There's two separate pots of money. There was a £2 billion fund for cycling and walking routes, then another £50 million fund for reopening high streets safely.

Makes sense then wasn't aware of the £50m fund.

(29 Aug 2020, 8:49 pm)streetdeckfan You're probably right, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was funding for increasing the footpaths as well.

To be honest, there's not really much supermarkets can do, one way systems didn't work, they can't have staff standing around making sure everyone is keeping their distance, and at the end of the day it's going to be sticking around for a while so there's no use wrapping yourself up in cotton wool. Cases are going back up, but deaths aren't, even taking into account the lag. Plus, with reports now starting to come out that tests are 'too sensitive', can we even trust those figures?

To go off on a little tangent, we've been in the high single, low double digit number of deaths for over a month now. If we look three weeks ago, around 1000 people on average were testing positive. On the 19th March, around the same number of people tested positive, but three weeks later around 1000 people were dying a day. But those positive test figures are by no means the same, back then only 5000 people were being tested daily, but three weeks ago that was 150,000.
Personally, right now, I am more scared of getting in the car with my mother driving than I am of COVID. If the figures go up by a meaningful amount, I might change my stance, but right now, it doesn't worry me. As Boris said, just use your common sense. I socially distance anyway as people round here are absolute tramps!

Back somewhat on topic, as I've mentioned before we work with some of the councils to carry out research and the consultations they have are a load of crap. They're guided in such a way that the councils get the answer they want, regardless of what people actually answer. For some focus groups I've been doing for another client, just from looking at the discussion guide I can already tell what the conclusion of the report will be.

Ah it wasn't the one way systems etc I was talking about it was more the basics such as actually counting how many people are in the store, having an organised queueline for the tills rather than it being all over the place, staff actually bothered to wear face masks (no way does 90% of the staff in certain stores have hidden illnesses) and stuff like that. Things that rise exponentially are dangerous; 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16394. That's what can happen in 2 weeks if your not careful with what your doing - it's certainly still needed and we're already at the 1024 stage as it is. 4 days at an R rate of 2 and you've got 16k cases.
Storx
30 Aug 2020, 12:03 am #22

(29 Aug 2020, 8:37 pm)Adrian There's two separate pots of money. There was a £2 billion fund for cycling and walking routes, then another £50 million fund for reopening high streets safely.

Makes sense then wasn't aware of the £50m fund.

(29 Aug 2020, 8:49 pm)streetdeckfan You're probably right, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was funding for increasing the footpaths as well.

To be honest, there's not really much supermarkets can do, one way systems didn't work, they can't have staff standing around making sure everyone is keeping their distance, and at the end of the day it's going to be sticking around for a while so there's no use wrapping yourself up in cotton wool. Cases are going back up, but deaths aren't, even taking into account the lag. Plus, with reports now starting to come out that tests are 'too sensitive', can we even trust those figures?

To go off on a little tangent, we've been in the high single, low double digit number of deaths for over a month now. If we look three weeks ago, around 1000 people on average were testing positive. On the 19th March, around the same number of people tested positive, but three weeks later around 1000 people were dying a day. But those positive test figures are by no means the same, back then only 5000 people were being tested daily, but three weeks ago that was 150,000.
Personally, right now, I am more scared of getting in the car with my mother driving than I am of COVID. If the figures go up by a meaningful amount, I might change my stance, but right now, it doesn't worry me. As Boris said, just use your common sense. I socially distance anyway as people round here are absolute tramps!

Back somewhat on topic, as I've mentioned before we work with some of the councils to carry out research and the consultations they have are a load of crap. They're guided in such a way that the councils get the answer they want, regardless of what people actually answer. For some focus groups I've been doing for another client, just from looking at the discussion guide I can already tell what the conclusion of the report will be.

Ah it wasn't the one way systems etc I was talking about it was more the basics such as actually counting how many people are in the store, having an organised queueline for the tills rather than it being all over the place, staff actually bothered to wear face masks (no way does 90% of the staff in certain stores have hidden illnesses) and stuff like that. Things that rise exponentially are dangerous; 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16394. That's what can happen in 2 weeks if your not careful with what your doing - it's certainly still needed and we're already at the 1024 stage as it is. 4 days at an R rate of 2 and you've got 16k cases.

30 Aug 2020, 12:39 am #23
(30 Aug 2020, 12:03 am)Storx Makes sense then wasn't aware of the £50m fund.

The issue is the stores just aren't designed for organised queue lines, they end up blocking aisles. If they have a limit of 50 people in the store, but they all want to leave at exactly the same time, you're still going to have an issue. Which goes back to what I said further up about one way systems, if the stores are designed from the ground up for 'social distancing', then it's all great. But in stores like ALDI and LIDL where space is limited, literally half the store is inaccessible once more than 4 people are waiting!

My point about the numbers of cases wasn't necessarily about the number itself, but the fact you can't really 'trust' the statistics. Back then the exponential rise was, in my opinion anyway, just as much caused by the lack of awareness as the R rate itself. With the amount of tests they're carrying out now, spikes can be found early, whereas at the start it wasn't until you were literally at your death bed that you could get a test and find out if you have it. Now, you can literally get a test done in a matter of minutes. A couple weeks back, my mother and younger brother both had a temperature so went online and booked a test, within 20 minutes she was at the test site having the test, and by the next evening she had the results back (which both came back negative).

Plus, I'm still waiting for all those second peaks we're supposed to have had by now, there was those times everyone went to the beach, the 'protests', the opening of the borders, the end of the shielding program, the reopening of pubs.

Now, I'm not downplaying the fact it can rise exponentially, it's happened before, but the fact the deaths aren't increasing but the cases are suggests either COVID is becoming less deadly, or it was never /that/ deadly in the first place and a lot of people who had it weren't ill enough to even realise they had it. I suppose only time, and mass antibody testing will tell
streetdeckfan
30 Aug 2020, 12:39 am #23

(30 Aug 2020, 12:03 am)Storx Makes sense then wasn't aware of the £50m fund.

The issue is the stores just aren't designed for organised queue lines, they end up blocking aisles. If they have a limit of 50 people in the store, but they all want to leave at exactly the same time, you're still going to have an issue. Which goes back to what I said further up about one way systems, if the stores are designed from the ground up for 'social distancing', then it's all great. But in stores like ALDI and LIDL where space is limited, literally half the store is inaccessible once more than 4 people are waiting!

My point about the numbers of cases wasn't necessarily about the number itself, but the fact you can't really 'trust' the statistics. Back then the exponential rise was, in my opinion anyway, just as much caused by the lack of awareness as the R rate itself. With the amount of tests they're carrying out now, spikes can be found early, whereas at the start it wasn't until you were literally at your death bed that you could get a test and find out if you have it. Now, you can literally get a test done in a matter of minutes. A couple weeks back, my mother and younger brother both had a temperature so went online and booked a test, within 20 minutes she was at the test site having the test, and by the next evening she had the results back (which both came back negative).

Plus, I'm still waiting for all those second peaks we're supposed to have had by now, there was those times everyone went to the beach, the 'protests', the opening of the borders, the end of the shielding program, the reopening of pubs.

Now, I'm not downplaying the fact it can rise exponentially, it's happened before, but the fact the deaths aren't increasing but the cases are suggests either COVID is becoming less deadly, or it was never /that/ deadly in the first place and a lot of people who had it weren't ill enough to even realise they had it. I suppose only time, and mass antibody testing will tell

Rob44

30 Aug 2020, 9:16 am #24
STORX you mentioned John Dobson street in you post on page 1...... I'm assuming you mean the bus lane that Stagecoach praised to the hilt????? You moan about what NCC have done in Gosforth as its delaying buses but in the same breath bring up the Bus Lane on John Dobson street which has made keeping time easier???

These councils cant win with some people
Rob44
30 Aug 2020, 9:16 am #24

STORX you mentioned John Dobson street in you post on page 1...... I'm assuming you mean the bus lane that Stagecoach praised to the hilt????? You moan about what NCC have done in Gosforth as its delaying buses but in the same breath bring up the Bus Lane on John Dobson street which has made keeping time easier???

citaro5284

30 Aug 2020, 10:08 am #25
(30 Aug 2020, 9:16 am)Rob44 STORX you mentioned John Dobson street in you post on page 1...... I'm assuming you mean the bus lane that Stagecoach praised to the hilt????? You moan about what NCC have done in Gosforth as its delaying buses but in the same breath bring up the Bus Lane on John Dobson street which has made keeping time  easier???

I wonder what sort of influence Nexus has on these decisions about road closures and the creation of bus lanes and the like within Tyne and Wear, bearing in mind it mission statement on its website says the below.

"We provide, plan and promote public transport to improve the economic prosperity of North East England and the daily lives of its people. We also look to the future, creating the travel networks people will want to use in decades to come"
citaro5284
30 Aug 2020, 10:08 am #25

(30 Aug 2020, 9:16 am)Rob44 STORX you mentioned John Dobson street in you post on page 1...... I'm assuming you mean the bus lane that Stagecoach praised to the hilt????? You moan about what NCC have done in Gosforth as its delaying buses but in the same breath bring up the Bus Lane on John Dobson street which has made keeping time  easier???

I wonder what sort of influence Nexus has on these decisions about road closures and the creation of bus lanes and the like within Tyne and Wear, bearing in mind it mission statement on its website says the below.

"We provide, plan and promote public transport to improve the economic prosperity of North East England and the daily lives of its people. We also look to the future, creating the travel networks people will want to use in decades to come"

Rob44

30 Aug 2020, 10:44 am #26
you would like to think they would work in partnership
Rob44
30 Aug 2020, 10:44 am #26

you would like to think they would work in partnership

Storx

30 Aug 2020, 10:59 am #27
(30 Aug 2020, 12:39 am)streetdeckfan The issue is the stores just aren't designed for organised queue lines, they end up blocking aisles. If they have a limit of 50 people in the store, but they all want to leave at exactly the same time, you're still going to have an issue. Which goes back to what I said further up about one way systems, if the stores are designed from the ground up for 'social distancing', then it's all great. But in stores like ALDI and LIDL where space is limited, literally half the store is inaccessible once more than 4 people are waiting!

It was more the point there isn't any limit at all now in most shops, it's just a free for all especially in ASDA stores. Shops like Morrisons etc have more than enough space to do a single queue for the tills it's better than blocking the whole shop up with people queuing everywhere. Time will tell though I agree there.

No no, the absolute farce that it was when they first done it. It took about 2 years to build something which should have took 6 months max, it's literally just a glorified path and a narrowed carriageway. Plus then the absolute farce with the bus camera with bad signing which is still ongoing today on whether they're going to be refunding people or not with court cases etc. Oh and it comes to an absolute standstill at christmas every year now which never used to happen (guessing bad traffic signal timing for that as is the same outside of Haymarket / Eldon Square bus stations).
Storx
30 Aug 2020, 10:59 am #27

(30 Aug 2020, 12:39 am)streetdeckfan The issue is the stores just aren't designed for organised queue lines, they end up blocking aisles. If they have a limit of 50 people in the store, but they all want to leave at exactly the same time, you're still going to have an issue. Which goes back to what I said further up about one way systems, if the stores are designed from the ground up for 'social distancing', then it's all great. But in stores like ALDI and LIDL where space is limited, literally half the store is inaccessible once more than 4 people are waiting!

It was more the point there isn't any limit at all now in most shops, it's just a free for all especially in ASDA stores. Shops like Morrisons etc have more than enough space to do a single queue for the tills it's better than blocking the whole shop up with people queuing everywhere. Time will tell though I agree there.

No no, the absolute farce that it was when they first done it. It took about 2 years to build something which should have took 6 months max, it's literally just a glorified path and a narrowed carriageway. Plus then the absolute farce with the bus camera with bad signing which is still ongoing today on whether they're going to be refunding people or not with court cases etc. Oh and it comes to an absolute standstill at christmas every year now which never used to happen (guessing bad traffic signal timing for that as is the same outside of Haymarket / Eldon Square bus stations).

Rob44

30 Aug 2020, 11:09 am #28
Ah right. I agree it took longer than it should but dont get me start on the " bad signage " rubbish. If you went through there and then suggest you didn't know it was bus only you shouldn't be driving on the road!!

I used to drink in the weatherspoons at that junction and since the bus lane has be put there it looks to me that there are less jams and standstills as you put it. That included December time. So not sure what has changed recently to cause more disruption?

Oh and can i ( from a personal point of view) just say the road works outside of civic centre/crows nest have made it quicker for buses in and out of Newcastle. Since the GNE have used JDS instead of blacket street my journeys into town are now quicker. Plus with the new system outside crows nest i think the bus is yet to stop at those light... just get stuck at the ones next to Percy pub/ladbrookes.. Another up for NCC in my view anyway!
Edited 30 Aug 2020, 11:12 am by Rob44.
Rob44
30 Aug 2020, 11:09 am #28

Ah right. I agree it took longer than it should but dont get me start on the " bad signage " rubbish. If you went through there and then suggest you didn't know it was bus only you shouldn't be driving on the road!!

I used to drink in the weatherspoons at that junction and since the bus lane has be put there it looks to me that there are less jams and standstills as you put it. That included December time. So not sure what has changed recently to cause more disruption?

Oh and can i ( from a personal point of view) just say the road works outside of civic centre/crows nest have made it quicker for buses in and out of Newcastle. Since the GNE have used JDS instead of blacket street my journeys into town are now quicker. Plus with the new system outside crows nest i think the bus is yet to stop at those light... just get stuck at the ones next to Percy pub/ladbrookes.. Another up for NCC in my view anyway!

30 Aug 2020, 11:19 am #29
(30 Aug 2020, 10:59 am)Storx It was more the point there isn't any limit at all now in most shops, it's just a free for all especially in ASDA stores. Shops like Morrisons etc have more than enough space to do a single queue for the tills it's better than blocking the whole shop up with people queuing everywhere. Time will tell though I agree there.

In my experience, they are still limiting people into stores. I know Sainsbury's Team Valley and ASDA Bishop are. Costco definitely are because I always get stuck in the bloody queue when all I want is a hotdog!

It depends on the store for the space though, some stores have a lot of space near the tills, others don't. I quite like what Tesco Gateshead did in that they've basically stole the beauty section as a dedicated queue zone.
streetdeckfan
30 Aug 2020, 11:19 am #29

(30 Aug 2020, 10:59 am)Storx It was more the point there isn't any limit at all now in most shops, it's just a free for all especially in ASDA stores. Shops like Morrisons etc have more than enough space to do a single queue for the tills it's better than blocking the whole shop up with people queuing everywhere. Time will tell though I agree there.

In my experience, they are still limiting people into stores. I know Sainsbury's Team Valley and ASDA Bishop are. Costco definitely are because I always get stuck in the bloody queue when all I want is a hotdog!

It depends on the store for the space though, some stores have a lot of space near the tills, others don't. I quite like what Tesco Gateshead did in that they've basically stole the beauty section as a dedicated queue zone.

Storx

30 Aug 2020, 11:30 am #30
(30 Aug 2020, 11:09 am)Rob44 Ah right. I agree it took longer than it should but dont get me start on the " bad signage " rubbish. If you went through there and then suggest you didn't know it was bus only you shouldn't be driving on the road!!

Oh and can i ( from a personal point of view) just say the road works outside of civic centre/crows nest have made it quicker for buses in and out of Newcastle. Since the GNE have used JDS instead of blacket street my journeys into town are now  quicker. Plus with the new system outside crows nest i think the bus is yet to stop at those light... just get stuck at the ones next to Percy pub/ladbrookes.. Another up for NCC in my view anyway!

I think it was coming from Haymarket end wasn't it where the issues was there was no pre warning about the road being buses only until you actually got to the junction itself and if you had someone behind you, there was nowhere to go.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...r-17323321 - Happened a few times last year, believe it was traffic light issues but I assume the buses would've been caught in it aswell.

I haven't been through there for awhile tbh but it's taking a god damn long time I know that (as usual). Guessing we'll have to wait until christmas to see how it does once the usual queues trying to get into Eldon Square car park come and everything gets blocked up. Glad they've went against the crazy making it one lane each direction for a cycle lane though (for now) that would've been a nightmare around christmas time.
Storx
30 Aug 2020, 11:30 am #30

(30 Aug 2020, 11:09 am)Rob44 Ah right. I agree it took longer than it should but dont get me start on the " bad signage " rubbish. If you went through there and then suggest you didn't know it was bus only you shouldn't be driving on the road!!

Oh and can i ( from a personal point of view) just say the road works outside of civic centre/crows nest have made it quicker for buses in and out of Newcastle. Since the GNE have used JDS instead of blacket street my journeys into town are now  quicker. Plus with the new system outside crows nest i think the bus is yet to stop at those light... just get stuck at the ones next to Percy pub/ladbrookes.. Another up for NCC in my view anyway!

I think it was coming from Haymarket end wasn't it where the issues was there was no pre warning about the road being buses only until you actually got to the junction itself and if you had someone behind you, there was nowhere to go.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...r-17323321 - Happened a few times last year, believe it was traffic light issues but I assume the buses would've been caught in it aswell.

I haven't been through there for awhile tbh but it's taking a god damn long time I know that (as usual). Guessing we'll have to wait until christmas to see how it does once the usual queues trying to get into Eldon Square car park come and everything gets blocked up. Glad they've went against the crazy making it one lane each direction for a cycle lane though (for now) that would've been a nightmare around christmas time.

Rob44

30 Aug 2020, 2:43 pm #31
i thought it was coming off the a167m - you know the drivers using the city centre as a short cut rat race when the traffic was backed up from the jesmond turn off.onm the A167M As for no pre warning i beg to differ. i noticed it was a bus lane and turned right into the street where primark is and back around. if you did get to the edge of the bus lane you can still turn left into the next street up from primark ( ridley place i think?)and turn around and head back in the other direction. also a number of drivers have been fined more than once and they've got the cheek to try to claim all the fines back!

as for the traffic it was like that on match days before they changed the road set up. I parked in the NCP once and it took me over an hour to get out.

I think the council could look at the traffic light and try to time them better though
Rob44
30 Aug 2020, 2:43 pm #31

i thought it was coming off the a167m - you know the drivers using the city centre as a short cut rat race when the traffic was backed up from the jesmond turn off.onm the A167M As for no pre warning i beg to differ. i noticed it was a bus lane and turned right into the street where primark is and back around. if you did get to the edge of the bus lane you can still turn left into the next street up from primark ( ridley place i think?)and turn around and head back in the other direction. also a number of drivers have been fined more than once and they've got the cheek to try to claim all the fines back!

as for the traffic it was like that on match days before they changed the road set up. I parked in the NCP once and it took me over an hour to get out.

I think the council could look at the traffic light and try to time them better though

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average