Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bygone Era End of the line?

End of the line?

End of the line?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Poll: Which of the following best describes how often you visit The Bygone Era?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

I visit The Bygone Era regularly/from time-to-time
72.00%
Votes 18
I would visit more if more files were online
28.00%
Votes 7
I don't visit The Bygone Era
0%
Votes 0

Total 25 vote(s) 100%
Dan

Site Administrator

07 Apr 2013, 9:12 am #7
(07 Apr 2013, 3:47 am)Andreos1 Once files are uploaded, how many times are they accessed after the initial interest has died down?

What Im trying to say, is that when a timetable is uploaded, it probably isnt accessed again 2-3 months down the line.

Our site is a growing community. It may not seem like it to other members, but the administration team know that the site is evolving massively by the day. There are perhaps a few hours during the early hours of a morning (2am-4am) when none of the site is accessed by members. Other than that, there is always someone online. Whether they're contributing to discussions rather than just viewing is another matter.

Existing members are likely to view the files as soon as they are uploaded and very few will return to them again, I agree with you there... But they can always be used for reference again in another section in a discussion that is relevant in one way or another - this was done a few days ago in the Go North East section of the forums, see here.

Likewise, as I stated above, we're a growing community. Our reach expands by the day, and if we're expanding by the day - think what we'll be like in one year's time, nevermind three! Our new members (if interested in the Bygone Era) will have a look at the section and choose something which is of interest to them. When we first started the Bygone Era, I looked for services that I could remember from my early childhood, or, in general, services within Sunderland - because that's where I live! Think of your first experience of the Bygone Era. Was it similar? Surely new members will also have a similar experience too. It's not everyone's cup of tea, so I can't say that every new member is guaranteed to view the files for interest purposes, but nevertheless, I'll stand by my point. Not everyone in this community views the files - I can guarantee that. What backs that up even more is the fact people have viewed this thread but not contributed to the topic nor voted. Perhaps they should have chosen the appropriate option on the poll, but I don't know.

(07 Apr 2013, 3:47 am)Andreos1 A possible short term solution (it may create more work) would be to upload timetables or info for a set period of time. Once that time frame has elapsed, it then the timetable is removed - but a mention/index of it is kept, so that if anyone wants to look at the 220 from 1989, then arrangements can be made to access it.

As a short term solution, I can see that working - but we're looking for a permanent solution. Potentially a three-year long solution if we go ahead with the hosting plan my friend highly recommends. Not as long if we go with aureolin's hosting plan suggestion though, but still longer than a 'short term solution' nevertheless.

Brandon has put a great deal of effort (alongside Chris who has donated a significant proportion of the files) into making the section as it is at present, and I wouldn't like to see that he had to put 110% more effort into it - removing files after a certain period of time and uploading others.

Plus, what would the arrangement be? Chris has agreed for the files to be displayed on our website, but I'm not sure if he would agree on us distributing them to members who wanted to view them externally - regardless of if they have a watermark on or not.

I'd love to see your solution work, but I'm just not convinced it will. Of course, I eagerly await Brandon and Chris' response to both of our posts, and it may turn out that they think it is a good idea - contrary to what I think.

Ta for the input anyway, much appreciated Smile
Dan
07 Apr 2013, 9:12 am #7

(07 Apr 2013, 3:47 am)Andreos1 Once files are uploaded, how many times are they accessed after the initial interest has died down?

What Im trying to say, is that when a timetable is uploaded, it probably isnt accessed again 2-3 months down the line.

Our site is a growing community. It may not seem like it to other members, but the administration team know that the site is evolving massively by the day. There are perhaps a few hours during the early hours of a morning (2am-4am) when none of the site is accessed by members. Other than that, there is always someone online. Whether they're contributing to discussions rather than just viewing is another matter.

Existing members are likely to view the files as soon as they are uploaded and very few will return to them again, I agree with you there... But they can always be used for reference again in another section in a discussion that is relevant in one way or another - this was done a few days ago in the Go North East section of the forums, see here.

Likewise, as I stated above, we're a growing community. Our reach expands by the day, and if we're expanding by the day - think what we'll be like in one year's time, nevermind three! Our new members (if interested in the Bygone Era) will have a look at the section and choose something which is of interest to them. When we first started the Bygone Era, I looked for services that I could remember from my early childhood, or, in general, services within Sunderland - because that's where I live! Think of your first experience of the Bygone Era. Was it similar? Surely new members will also have a similar experience too. It's not everyone's cup of tea, so I can't say that every new member is guaranteed to view the files for interest purposes, but nevertheless, I'll stand by my point. Not everyone in this community views the files - I can guarantee that. What backs that up even more is the fact people have viewed this thread but not contributed to the topic nor voted. Perhaps they should have chosen the appropriate option on the poll, but I don't know.

(07 Apr 2013, 3:47 am)Andreos1 A possible short term solution (it may create more work) would be to upload timetables or info for a set period of time. Once that time frame has elapsed, it then the timetable is removed - but a mention/index of it is kept, so that if anyone wants to look at the 220 from 1989, then arrangements can be made to access it.

As a short term solution, I can see that working - but we're looking for a permanent solution. Potentially a three-year long solution if we go ahead with the hosting plan my friend highly recommends. Not as long if we go with aureolin's hosting plan suggestion though, but still longer than a 'short term solution' nevertheless.

Brandon has put a great deal of effort (alongside Chris who has donated a significant proportion of the files) into making the section as it is at present, and I wouldn't like to see that he had to put 110% more effort into it - removing files after a certain period of time and uploading others.

Plus, what would the arrangement be? Chris has agreed for the files to be displayed on our website, but I'm not sure if he would agree on us distributing them to members who wanted to view them externally - regardless of if they have a watermark on or not.

I'd love to see your solution work, but I'm just not convinced it will. Of course, I eagerly await Brandon and Chris' response to both of our posts, and it may turn out that they think it is a good idea - contrary to what I think.

Ta for the input anyway, much appreciated Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
End of the line? - by NEB Admin Team - 06 Apr 2013, 7:54 pm
RE: End of the line? - by Adrian - 06 Apr 2013, 8:12 pm
RE: End of the line? - by NEB Admin Team - 06 Apr 2013, 8:19 pm
RE: End of the line? - by Dan - 06 Apr 2013, 9:59 pm
RE: End of the line? - by Adrian - 06 Apr 2013, 10:32 pm
RE: End of the line? - by Andreos1 - 07 Apr 2013, 3:47 am
RE: End of the line? - by Dan - 07 Apr 2013, 9:12 am
RE: End of the line? - by NEB Admin Team - 07 Apr 2013, 10:26 am
RE: End of the line? - by Adrian - 01 May 2013, 8:36 pm