Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239) Previous 1164 165 166239 Next
Jimmi

04 Jul 2015, 11:46 am #3,281
Problem is have zero clue where any of these places are.

Thanks anyway though.
Jimmi
04 Jul 2015, 11:46 am #3,281

Problem is have zero clue where any of these places are.

Thanks anyway though.

S813 FVK

04 Jul 2015, 11:49 am #3,282
(04 Jul 2015, 11:46 am)Jimmi Problem is have zero clue where any of these places are.

Thanks anyway though.

Same here. Those places are just names to me.
S813 FVK
04 Jul 2015, 11:49 am #3,282

(04 Jul 2015, 11:46 am)Jimmi Problem is have zero clue where any of these places are.

Thanks anyway though.

Same here. Those places are just names to me.

Jimmi

04 Jul 2015, 11:55 am #3,283
Managed to jump on a 50 to Durham so I can get to Darlington.
Jimmi
04 Jul 2015, 11:55 am #3,283

Managed to jump on a 50 to Durham so I can get to Darlington.

Simmy

04 Jul 2015, 5:01 pm #3,284
First full weekend in Bristol so I decided to have a First bus bash around the city. Some of my housemates started arguing with each other so the timing was perfect Tongue . Used my Newcaslte University student card to get a Student day ticket.

47456 Wright Streetlite DF - First Bristol - Route 72 - Filton Avenue, Horfield to Black Boy Hill Top, Whiteladies Road

Was expecting the usual Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown but ended up with a Streetlite instead  Dodgy . Service 72 usually serves the city centre, however some runs terminate early at the top of Whiteladies Road. Had I waited for the next service 72, I would have had a Renown  Angry .

47436 Wright Streetlite DF - First Bristol - Route 9 - Black Boy Hill Top, Whiteladies Road to Clifton Suspension Bridge

Disembarked the vehicle and walked across the suspension bridge and back. Quite scenic.

47553 'Express Yourself' branded Wright Streetlite DF - First Bristol - Route X2 - A4 Gasferry Road to Bristol Bus Station

Walked down the hill from the suspension bridge to the main A4 road to the city centre. A vehicle on the X2 approached the stop. I was starting to get a bit sick of Streetlites by this point  :s .

37008 Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 1 - First Bristol - Route 76 - The Centre, Bristol to Horfield Sports Centre

Finally, something different!

Got off at the Sports centre and set-up the direct debit required for my gym membershp  Tongue. I am going to look for a First Bristol allocation list so that I can have a bit more variety next week  Smile. One thing that I found quite amusing was that First use Microsoft Sam (or a similar voice) for their next stop announcements. Needless to say that the computerised voice mispronounced numerous names of bus stops  Tongue.
Edited 04 Jul 2015, 5:12 pm by Simmy.
Simmy
04 Jul 2015, 5:01 pm #3,284

First full weekend in Bristol so I decided to have a First bus bash around the city. Some of my housemates started arguing with each other so the timing was perfect Tongue . Used my Newcaslte University student card to get a Student day ticket.

47456 Wright Streetlite DF - First Bristol - Route 72 - Filton Avenue, Horfield to Black Boy Hill Top, Whiteladies Road

Was expecting the usual Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown but ended up with a Streetlite instead  Dodgy . Service 72 usually serves the city centre, however some runs terminate early at the top of Whiteladies Road. Had I waited for the next service 72, I would have had a Renown  Angry .

47436 Wright Streetlite DF - First Bristol - Route 9 - Black Boy Hill Top, Whiteladies Road to Clifton Suspension Bridge

Disembarked the vehicle and walked across the suspension bridge and back. Quite scenic.

47553 'Express Yourself' branded Wright Streetlite DF - First Bristol - Route X2 - A4 Gasferry Road to Bristol Bus Station

Walked down the hill from the suspension bridge to the main A4 road to the city centre. A vehicle on the X2 approached the stop. I was starting to get a bit sick of Streetlites by this point  :s .

37008 Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 1 - First Bristol - Route 76 - The Centre, Bristol to Horfield Sports Centre

Finally, something different!

Got off at the Sports centre and set-up the direct debit required for my gym membershp  Tongue. I am going to look for a First Bristol allocation list so that I can have a bit more variety next week  Smile. One thing that I found quite amusing was that First use Microsoft Sam (or a similar voice) for their next stop announcements. Needless to say that the computerised voice mispronounced numerous names of bus stops  Tongue.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm #3,285
As I didn't go out last weekend, I wanted to try and have at least a small outing today. On the flip side of the coin; it's been a very long week, and the weather forecast made me feel it'd be pointless going out. Nevertheless; in the end, I decided to head out on a trip I'd planned a little while ago, that I'd originally intended to do with Scott.

As usual, my journey log can be found below and my commentary follows it:
0636 Metro: Stadium of Light to Heworth - T&WM 4021
0718 X10: Heworth to Middlesbrough - GNE 6044
0850 X93: Middlesbrough to Whitby - ANE 7486
1036 X93: Whitby to Scarborough - ANE 7402
1250 X93: Scarborough to Middlesbrough - ANE 7401
1512 X66: Middlesbrough to Darlington - ANE 4649
1607 7: Darlington to Durham - ANE 7540
1720ish 20A: Durham to Sunderland - GNE 5211
1820 9: Sunderland to Newcastle Road - GNE 5152

I'm very much set in the routine of getting up anywhere between the hours of 05:00am and 06:00am now, as it's usually the time I wake up to get into work sharp on a weekday. Today was no exception, waking up at five on the dot, with the sound of heavy rain pelting against my window. After much contemplation, I decided to brave it.

I set out for the Metro with plenty of time, and found a more-or-less empty Metrocar pull up on-time promptly. I'd been on this particular Metrocar coming home from work the day prior, so knew I wasn't in for too bad a journey. This one is fitted with the new style of Next Stop Annoucements; I must say that I am quite keen on the new male voice, as the old female voice was a bit too robotic in my opinion. I quite like the "Please take care at the level crossing" messages, but one major negative is the fact that "Central Station" is merely named "Central". I am not sure if this is some sort of Geordie nickname, but I've never called the station by the latter name...

Upon arrival at Heworth, I disembarked the Metro which had barely filled up on my journey of just under 20 minutes, and headed upstairs to the bus station. Thankfully the weather was on my side by this point, and the rain had stopped. It allowed me to get some photos while waiting for the X10 service which would take me south.

As we pulled out of Heworth, we were greeted with a heavy downpour of rain. It was so bad that it was almost impossible to see through the upper saloon windscreen, and it sounded like the roof was going to cave in. I suspected there would be a long journey ahead, as the drivers with double decks on the X9/X10 services usually have to take extra care in adverse weather conditions, so I put my earphones in and put my phone on charge.

Much to my surprise, the journey seemed to fly by. We were soon at Stockton, and even had a few minutes waiting time! Not long after, we pulled into Middlesbrough. It's great when there aren't any issues on the A19, as you could time your watch by the X9/X10. The rain was pretty light at this point, so I narrowly avoided getting soaked again.

Next on the agenda was a trip to Whitby. The queue, as always, stretched right back through the bus station. It wasn't quite as long as usual, though I suspect this was related to the poor weather conditions and the fact it was the first bus of the day. As the first bus of the day is operated by Redcar, I didn't expect a Volvo B9TL, but I was pretty happy with a Volvo B7TL turning up nevertheless. The discussion of whether Arriva would allocate a double-deck or single-deck seemed to be a common topic of conversation in the queue, so most were relieved when 7486 pulled in five minutes prior to departure. I had debated in my mind whether there would be any fuss over my pass when boarding; to date, I haven't had any bother, but you do get some drivers who give a thorough inspection. The driver simply asked what my pass was, and when I told him, he shrugged his shoulders, laughed, and told me to sit down. I guess the unfamiliarity with our passes is due to the fact that so few will use the X93 bus down south.

After a few photos and a bite to eat in Scarborough, I decided to head back to the bus stop. Compared to the X93 I had travelled on to get to Scarborough, the one I was going to get back was on-time. Although the bus was in a right state, the performance impressed me. The Volvo B9 should have been introduced to this service a long time ago - it's just a shame power sockets and more comfortable seats weren't included within the refurb when the dealer stock examples were acquired! This journey was much better than my inbound trip - the sun came out, and there wasn't a great deal of passengers on at all.

Back in Middlesbrough, I took a few photographs in the sun while waiting for my connection to service X66. The driver and accompanying member of staff on the X66 gave me a wave as they passed, and I put my camera away and headed over to the stand after this. I was quite vocal about my disliking for the interior colourscheme of the MAX spec Omnis when they were first refurbished, but I am perhaps getting used to it now, as I don't think it looks horrific. The installation of Next Stop Announcements has probably been noted, but I was quite surprised to see them there. What's more, I was surprised at the lack of corporate identity and design on the Next Stop Announcment monitor. A plain black screen with white text and a small Arriva logo which can barely be read from the back of the bus? There was a few announcements which didn't sound right at all, and the volume seemed way too quiet in general. Of course, I had been deafened by the bell as soon as we got to Stockton... For the record - I still prefer the regional accent of the radio DJs to whoever this Arriva woman is..! Wink  

The sun came out to play for some photos in Darlington, which I was really pleased about. Thought it was typical that it's been lovely all week then it gets to the weekend and it was horrible. I've been wanting to have a ride of one of Arriva's (now not so) new ADL Enviro400s on service 7 since they entered service, so I planned to get that to Durham if an E400 was allocated. If it wasn't an E400, I planned to get the 21/X21 back to Sunderland.

I ended up going with the former plan, and 7540 did the honours. I found that this one was quite sluggish compared to the Pulsars I had become accustomed to on this route, but I do prefer the double-decks. The extra capacity was not required on this journey and I had the upper saloon to myself for most of the trip to Durham, but I do think the extra capacity will come in handy on weekdays at peak times. I quite like the front seat on the offside upper saloon, as it has plenty of legroom. The journey flew by, and I was in Durham in no time.

My final trip of the day was from Durham to Sunderland. I'd seen a Volvo B9TL was allocated earlier in the day and I was quite keen to get this back, but sadly (as it is a corporate liveried vehicle), it was allocated to a board which finishes quite early on. The Scanias on here are a bit boring to ride on long journeys (I've done this particular journey more times than I'd have liked to recently), but they certainly do the job. When I arrived at Park Lane, I saw the MAN EcoCity I would have had all the way from Darlington, so I was glad to have been able to get two different bus types in within the same amount of time. I abandoned ship at Park Lane to get the 9 home - it departs two minutes before the 20A! Added to the variety, and as Marcus will gladly inform you, no bus-related outing is complete without a Volvo B10BLE..!

After twelve hours on the go, I am quite tired now. I think I will upload my photos tomorrow morning and then decide whether to go to the bus rally or not.

I look forward to reading what you guys got up to today - and hopefully you enjoyed reading what I did while out and about today!
Dan
04 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm #3,285

As I didn't go out last weekend, I wanted to try and have at least a small outing today. On the flip side of the coin; it's been a very long week, and the weather forecast made me feel it'd be pointless going out. Nevertheless; in the end, I decided to head out on a trip I'd planned a little while ago, that I'd originally intended to do with Scott.

As usual, my journey log can be found below and my commentary follows it:
0636 Metro: Stadium of Light to Heworth - T&WM 4021
0718 X10: Heworth to Middlesbrough - GNE 6044
0850 X93: Middlesbrough to Whitby - ANE 7486
1036 X93: Whitby to Scarborough - ANE 7402
1250 X93: Scarborough to Middlesbrough - ANE 7401
1512 X66: Middlesbrough to Darlington - ANE 4649
1607 7: Darlington to Durham - ANE 7540
1720ish 20A: Durham to Sunderland - GNE 5211
1820 9: Sunderland to Newcastle Road - GNE 5152

I'm very much set in the routine of getting up anywhere between the hours of 05:00am and 06:00am now, as it's usually the time I wake up to get into work sharp on a weekday. Today was no exception, waking up at five on the dot, with the sound of heavy rain pelting against my window. After much contemplation, I decided to brave it.

I set out for the Metro with plenty of time, and found a more-or-less empty Metrocar pull up on-time promptly. I'd been on this particular Metrocar coming home from work the day prior, so knew I wasn't in for too bad a journey. This one is fitted with the new style of Next Stop Annoucements; I must say that I am quite keen on the new male voice, as the old female voice was a bit too robotic in my opinion. I quite like the "Please take care at the level crossing" messages, but one major negative is the fact that "Central Station" is merely named "Central". I am not sure if this is some sort of Geordie nickname, but I've never called the station by the latter name...

Upon arrival at Heworth, I disembarked the Metro which had barely filled up on my journey of just under 20 minutes, and headed upstairs to the bus station. Thankfully the weather was on my side by this point, and the rain had stopped. It allowed me to get some photos while waiting for the X10 service which would take me south.

As we pulled out of Heworth, we were greeted with a heavy downpour of rain. It was so bad that it was almost impossible to see through the upper saloon windscreen, and it sounded like the roof was going to cave in. I suspected there would be a long journey ahead, as the drivers with double decks on the X9/X10 services usually have to take extra care in adverse weather conditions, so I put my earphones in and put my phone on charge.

Much to my surprise, the journey seemed to fly by. We were soon at Stockton, and even had a few minutes waiting time! Not long after, we pulled into Middlesbrough. It's great when there aren't any issues on the A19, as you could time your watch by the X9/X10. The rain was pretty light at this point, so I narrowly avoided getting soaked again.

Next on the agenda was a trip to Whitby. The queue, as always, stretched right back through the bus station. It wasn't quite as long as usual, though I suspect this was related to the poor weather conditions and the fact it was the first bus of the day. As the first bus of the day is operated by Redcar, I didn't expect a Volvo B9TL, but I was pretty happy with a Volvo B7TL turning up nevertheless. The discussion of whether Arriva would allocate a double-deck or single-deck seemed to be a common topic of conversation in the queue, so most were relieved when 7486 pulled in five minutes prior to departure. I had debated in my mind whether there would be any fuss over my pass when boarding; to date, I haven't had any bother, but you do get some drivers who give a thorough inspection. The driver simply asked what my pass was, and when I told him, he shrugged his shoulders, laughed, and told me to sit down. I guess the unfamiliarity with our passes is due to the fact that so few will use the X93 bus down south.

After a few photos and a bite to eat in Scarborough, I decided to head back to the bus stop. Compared to the X93 I had travelled on to get to Scarborough, the one I was going to get back was on-time. Although the bus was in a right state, the performance impressed me. The Volvo B9 should have been introduced to this service a long time ago - it's just a shame power sockets and more comfortable seats weren't included within the refurb when the dealer stock examples were acquired! This journey was much better than my inbound trip - the sun came out, and there wasn't a great deal of passengers on at all.

Back in Middlesbrough, I took a few photographs in the sun while waiting for my connection to service X66. The driver and accompanying member of staff on the X66 gave me a wave as they passed, and I put my camera away and headed over to the stand after this. I was quite vocal about my disliking for the interior colourscheme of the MAX spec Omnis when they were first refurbished, but I am perhaps getting used to it now, as I don't think it looks horrific. The installation of Next Stop Announcements has probably been noted, but I was quite surprised to see them there. What's more, I was surprised at the lack of corporate identity and design on the Next Stop Announcment monitor. A plain black screen with white text and a small Arriva logo which can barely be read from the back of the bus? There was a few announcements which didn't sound right at all, and the volume seemed way too quiet in general. Of course, I had been deafened by the bell as soon as we got to Stockton... For the record - I still prefer the regional accent of the radio DJs to whoever this Arriva woman is..! Wink  

The sun came out to play for some photos in Darlington, which I was really pleased about. Thought it was typical that it's been lovely all week then it gets to the weekend and it was horrible. I've been wanting to have a ride of one of Arriva's (now not so) new ADL Enviro400s on service 7 since they entered service, so I planned to get that to Durham if an E400 was allocated. If it wasn't an E400, I planned to get the 21/X21 back to Sunderland.

I ended up going with the former plan, and 7540 did the honours. I found that this one was quite sluggish compared to the Pulsars I had become accustomed to on this route, but I do prefer the double-decks. The extra capacity was not required on this journey and I had the upper saloon to myself for most of the trip to Durham, but I do think the extra capacity will come in handy on weekdays at peak times. I quite like the front seat on the offside upper saloon, as it has plenty of legroom. The journey flew by, and I was in Durham in no time.

My final trip of the day was from Durham to Sunderland. I'd seen a Volvo B9TL was allocated earlier in the day and I was quite keen to get this back, but sadly (as it is a corporate liveried vehicle), it was allocated to a board which finishes quite early on. The Scanias on here are a bit boring to ride on long journeys (I've done this particular journey more times than I'd have liked to recently), but they certainly do the job. When I arrived at Park Lane, I saw the MAN EcoCity I would have had all the way from Darlington, so I was glad to have been able to get two different bus types in within the same amount of time. I abandoned ship at Park Lane to get the 9 home - it departs two minutes before the 20A! Added to the variety, and as Marcus will gladly inform you, no bus-related outing is complete without a Volvo B10BLE..!

After twelve hours on the go, I am quite tired now. I think I will upload my photos tomorrow morning and then decide whether to go to the bus rally or not.

I look forward to reading what you guys got up to today - and hopefully you enjoyed reading what I did while out and about today!

Jimmi

04 Jul 2015, 5:40 pm #3,286
(04 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm)Dan The installation of Next Stop Announcements has probably been noted, but I was quite surprised to see them there. What's more, I was surprised at the lack of corporate identity and design on the Next Stop Announcment monitor. A plain black screen with white text and a small Arriva logo which can barely be read from the back of the bus? There was a few announcements which didn't sound right at all, and the volume seemed way too quiet in general. Of course, I had been deafened by the bell as soon as we got to Stockton... For the record - I still prefer the regional accent of the radio DJs to whoever this Arriva woman is..! Wink  

The next stop announcement screens on the X66 should be the aquamarine or whatever colour you call it and has the Arriva logo and "Go on, get on" on the screens. Perhaps there was a fault or possibly the sun reflecting on it although it was fine when I had it on service 8 on Tuesday except that route isn't programmed in.

I was actually in Darlington at the same time as you so I don't know how I missed you although this was probably when I went to the Dolphin Centre then got a shot of 2867 on the X76 on Feethams.

It's peak times the Enviro 400s are needed, let me tell you a Pulsar at full capacity on a morning to college wasn't any fun. During the daytime they do look rather deserted at times and there wasn't many upstairs on the journey I had to Darlington.
Jimmi
04 Jul 2015, 5:40 pm #3,286

(04 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm)Dan The installation of Next Stop Announcements has probably been noted, but I was quite surprised to see them there. What's more, I was surprised at the lack of corporate identity and design on the Next Stop Announcment monitor. A plain black screen with white text and a small Arriva logo which can barely be read from the back of the bus? There was a few announcements which didn't sound right at all, and the volume seemed way too quiet in general. Of course, I had been deafened by the bell as soon as we got to Stockton... For the record - I still prefer the regional accent of the radio DJs to whoever this Arriva woman is..! Wink  

The next stop announcement screens on the X66 should be the aquamarine or whatever colour you call it and has the Arriva logo and "Go on, get on" on the screens. Perhaps there was a fault or possibly the sun reflecting on it although it was fine when I had it on service 8 on Tuesday except that route isn't programmed in.

I was actually in Darlington at the same time as you so I don't know how I missed you although this was probably when I went to the Dolphin Centre then got a shot of 2867 on the X76 on Feethams.

It's peak times the Enviro 400s are needed, let me tell you a Pulsar at full capacity on a morning to college wasn't any fun. During the daytime they do look rather deserted at times and there wasn't many upstairs on the journey I had to Darlington.

Jimmi

04 Jul 2015, 6:00 pm #3,287
Been a rather unusual day somehow but anyway here is my review for today's outing.

Left the house late which meant I didn't have time to dilly dally so had to walk fairly quick but I made it to my bus stop with time to spare. Unfortunately it was raining a little bit when I left the house this morning so I did get a little wet.

0941 21/X21 Newton Aycliffe - Peterlee for Sunderland (ANE 4811)
Not the best start as I was hoping for an ex demonstrator example but got stuck with this although I thought at least this one has WiFi... Which on this journey wasn't working which annoyed me especially for how long this journey is. 4801-4811 aren't the fastest buses in the world and this is not only annoying to me but other road users as someone stuck behind us on the A167 was blarring the horn and ended up making an illegal overtake to get past us. Other than being rather slow it was a rather smooth comfortable journey. In case anyone is interested the X21 carried 19 passengers between Peterlee Bus Station and Sunderland Park Lane with 7 passengers including myself transferring from the 21.

1135 E1 Sunderland, Fawcett Street - South Shields (SNE 22738)
Never done any of the E routes before so thought I'd get one of them up to South Shields rather than get the 20/20A. I asked for suggestions the other day as to which E service I should to Shields and Dan suggested the E1. This journey started off fairly quiet for passengers. There was some good views out of the window but was difficult to see as it was a bit foggy. When we got closer to South Shields the journey got busier and the remainder of the journey was chavtacular including loud annoying children. Another person who jumped on this bus was a ticket inspector (or whatever the fancy name for them is) who checked the passengers tickets including my own. Quite liked this bus and the scenery but didn't enjoy some of the passengers.

Got really annoyed when I jumped off in South Shields as one of the new Enviro's was just leaving, thankfully I managed to photo two of them during my short time here. One thing I didn't know when I planned this trip was that there would be road closures due to a pride parade taking place meaning the only stop I knew in South Shields was out of use which got me in a bit of a panic as I don't know the area at all. Thankfully I managed to figure out where the 20/20A was stopping unfortunately there was no 20/20A in over 20 minutes which was annoying me but not as much as this old man who spent the whole 20 minutes moaning including threatening abuse when he got back to Sunderland in the travel office. Gave up waiting for the 20/20A and jumped on the 50 instead.

1253 50 South Shields - Chester-le-Street (GNE 5260)
Thankfully this was more pleasant than my last ride on the 50 where the bus was shaking like mad. Was still shaking over bumps but nowhere near as bad as the last time thankfully. Quite enjoyed my journey on this which is going to make some of you think I have gone totally mad as I know how much some of you hate them. Didn't fancy staying on all the way to Durham so I decided to jump off at Chester-le-Street and just as we were arriving in Chester-le-Street a President blinded up for the X22 to Durham was going down the Front Street in the wrong direction and looped round by Tesco then pulled on to its usual stand...

1351 X22 Chester-le-Street - Durham (GNE 6018)
I was the first to board and there was no-one else on-board so I'm guessing this must have replaced something else (possibly a breakdown occurred somewhere). By this point the sun had come out and boy it was hot on this bus even with the window open. This journey was okay apart from the sweat pouring down my face at least I got into Durham a few minutes earlier instead of staying on the 50.

1422 7 Durham - Darlington (ANE 7537)
Thankfully an Enviro 400 turned up on this journey which was good as there is loads of windows upstairs to open whereas the Pulsars have only 4 to open which can be unpleasant on warm days. For once I managed to bag the front seat. Annoyingly for the next week the temporary traffic lights are back at The Honest Lawyer which is going to totally destroy the reliability of this service over the next week so I have that to look forward to. Other than the roadworks I rather enjoyed this journey and was nice to finally do the full route on an Enviro 400 and it didn't disappoint me and made for a good journey and the 7 is a nice route and is rather nice getting to sit at the front upstairs to get a good view of the scenery.

Went to Darlington following the reporting of 2843 being branded operating service 4 which had unfortunately been removed from service before I got there.

1630 5A Darlington - Home (ANE 1509)
Having being left annoyed that 2843 had been removed from the 4 I headed home. As ever quite a smooth journey on this Pulsar. Not a great deal else to say really about this journey as I spent half the journey on my phone browsing the internet.

Well that's the review for today, I will try and make up for the poor amount of time and photos taken in Sunderland and South Shields, I will try and revist these areas again soon. The photos will be uploaded tomorrow after the craziness of Explore ends.

I am unsure if I will be attending the rally tomorrow especially as I haven't heard back about going up on one of The Eden's buses, so if I don't make it up there hope you enjoy yourselves tomorrow and enjoy the rest of your evening.
Jimmi
04 Jul 2015, 6:00 pm #3,287

Been a rather unusual day somehow but anyway here is my review for today's outing.

Left the house late which meant I didn't have time to dilly dally so had to walk fairly quick but I made it to my bus stop with time to spare. Unfortunately it was raining a little bit when I left the house this morning so I did get a little wet.

0941 21/X21 Newton Aycliffe - Peterlee for Sunderland (ANE 4811)
Not the best start as I was hoping for an ex demonstrator example but got stuck with this although I thought at least this one has WiFi... Which on this journey wasn't working which annoyed me especially for how long this journey is. 4801-4811 aren't the fastest buses in the world and this is not only annoying to me but other road users as someone stuck behind us on the A167 was blarring the horn and ended up making an illegal overtake to get past us. Other than being rather slow it was a rather smooth comfortable journey. In case anyone is interested the X21 carried 19 passengers between Peterlee Bus Station and Sunderland Park Lane with 7 passengers including myself transferring from the 21.

1135 E1 Sunderland, Fawcett Street - South Shields (SNE 22738)
Never done any of the E routes before so thought I'd get one of them up to South Shields rather than get the 20/20A. I asked for suggestions the other day as to which E service I should to Shields and Dan suggested the E1. This journey started off fairly quiet for passengers. There was some good views out of the window but was difficult to see as it was a bit foggy. When we got closer to South Shields the journey got busier and the remainder of the journey was chavtacular including loud annoying children. Another person who jumped on this bus was a ticket inspector (or whatever the fancy name for them is) who checked the passengers tickets including my own. Quite liked this bus and the scenery but didn't enjoy some of the passengers.

Got really annoyed when I jumped off in South Shields as one of the new Enviro's was just leaving, thankfully I managed to photo two of them during my short time here. One thing I didn't know when I planned this trip was that there would be road closures due to a pride parade taking place meaning the only stop I knew in South Shields was out of use which got me in a bit of a panic as I don't know the area at all. Thankfully I managed to figure out where the 20/20A was stopping unfortunately there was no 20/20A in over 20 minutes which was annoying me but not as much as this old man who spent the whole 20 minutes moaning including threatening abuse when he got back to Sunderland in the travel office. Gave up waiting for the 20/20A and jumped on the 50 instead.

1253 50 South Shields - Chester-le-Street (GNE 5260)
Thankfully this was more pleasant than my last ride on the 50 where the bus was shaking like mad. Was still shaking over bumps but nowhere near as bad as the last time thankfully. Quite enjoyed my journey on this which is going to make some of you think I have gone totally mad as I know how much some of you hate them. Didn't fancy staying on all the way to Durham so I decided to jump off at Chester-le-Street and just as we were arriving in Chester-le-Street a President blinded up for the X22 to Durham was going down the Front Street in the wrong direction and looped round by Tesco then pulled on to its usual stand...

1351 X22 Chester-le-Street - Durham (GNE 6018)
I was the first to board and there was no-one else on-board so I'm guessing this must have replaced something else (possibly a breakdown occurred somewhere). By this point the sun had come out and boy it was hot on this bus even with the window open. This journey was okay apart from the sweat pouring down my face at least I got into Durham a few minutes earlier instead of staying on the 50.

1422 7 Durham - Darlington (ANE 7537)
Thankfully an Enviro 400 turned up on this journey which was good as there is loads of windows upstairs to open whereas the Pulsars have only 4 to open which can be unpleasant on warm days. For once I managed to bag the front seat. Annoyingly for the next week the temporary traffic lights are back at The Honest Lawyer which is going to totally destroy the reliability of this service over the next week so I have that to look forward to. Other than the roadworks I rather enjoyed this journey and was nice to finally do the full route on an Enviro 400 and it didn't disappoint me and made for a good journey and the 7 is a nice route and is rather nice getting to sit at the front upstairs to get a good view of the scenery.

Went to Darlington following the reporting of 2843 being branded operating service 4 which had unfortunately been removed from service before I got there.

1630 5A Darlington - Home (ANE 1509)
Having being left annoyed that 2843 had been removed from the 4 I headed home. As ever quite a smooth journey on this Pulsar. Not a great deal else to say really about this journey as I spent half the journey on my phone browsing the internet.

Well that's the review for today, I will try and make up for the poor amount of time and photos taken in Sunderland and South Shields, I will try and revist these areas again soon. The photos will be uploaded tomorrow after the craziness of Explore ends.

I am unsure if I will be attending the rally tomorrow especially as I haven't heard back about going up on one of The Eden's buses, so if I don't make it up there hope you enjoy yourselves tomorrow and enjoy the rest of your evening.

Malarkey

04 Jul 2015, 8:11 pm #3,288
09:44 - 2 - 8324 - Lambton Village Centre to Washington Galleries 
Leaving the house a few minutes earlier than I usually do I headed for my local stop in the rain, hoping that 8248/52 would turn up on the 82, but instead the Bus which seems to be stalking me at the moment in the form of 8324 turned up, as whenever I seem to use the 2 to go anywhere, this Vehicle always turns up, not that its a bad thing, still these Versas have got nothing on the Citaros in which they replaced nor are they as nice as the Micro-Hybrid Streetlites, as this was a short journey there were nothing special to note. 

09:55 - X88 - 6011 - Washington Galleries to MetroCentre
After waiting around for several minutes at The Galleries thinking 3943 would show up on the X88 as it usually does, I was admittedly quite disappointed to see 6011 turn up instead with its windows all steamed up I made my way Upstaires and sat a few rows from the back on the Drivers side of the Vehicle, a slow and steady journey ensued to the MetroCentre with 6011 failing to gain as real speed along the extremely messy A1, I was contemplating go home if the Weather didnt improve as it was rather gloomy, but after a few Minutes at the MetroCentre the rain stopped and it looked as though it was going to start brightening up a bit, after I a few Photos here I headed to Blaydon as I had seen a TEN B9TL coming in.

10:31 - 10B - 6083 - MetroCentre to Blaydon
As I approached this B9TL I noticed it was 6083, A Vehicle which has alluded me since MetroCentre Bus Rally 2013 where I lasted seen it, this brightened my mood somewhat and I at the rear of the lower saloon and let the 10 Minute Journey pass by, once I reached Blaydon I made a quick dart across the road just so I could get a Photo, I then made my way through the Shopping Area to Morrisons Car Park where 5238 was situated, having took a quick photo I got a Free Ice Cream which was Delightful, probably one of the best I have had, then Bazza and his Posse showed up consisting of Davie, DanPick, Sid, Jack and someone else whos name escapes me, I boarded 5238 and got myself a goody bag which consisted of the following.

Toon Link 11 Timetable, Scratch Card(Once again I won), A Bus Drawing with Toon Link Branding and Crayons (Shame the Crayons dont match the Colour of the Bus like, didnt realise the Toon Link Branding was Red, Yellow, Blue & Green), someone in GNE Towers must be Colour Blind, suppose 3 of the colours do form the old Corporate Livery but that is beside the point, so whoever can have a few Brownie Points, and whoever decided to put Candy Rock in these Bags is a pure Genius as I love Candy Rock, ohh and its Black & White at least someone got something right, of cause I am just joking about here minus the Crayons, quite annoyed about them, was quite looking forward to doing a bit of colouring in once I finished this Review, guess it will have to wait till I get the correct Colours.

After putting names to faces on 5238 I headed back towards Blaydon Interchange, where I was planning on getting on the 69 to my Dads in Low Fell until I realised it took 33 Minutes, so I let 4915 on the 69 go and I rang my Dad to tell him to meet me in Eldon Square instead and we have Dinner in Toon, wait I mean Town as I am a Mackem and not an Inbred Geordie, 3972 pulled in on the 10A moments later and I immediately thought sack that and waited an extra few minutes for the 11 to turn up.

11:10 - 11 - 4917 - Blaydon to Eldon Square
After opting to not get on 4915 on the 69 I was rather happy to see 4917 show up on the 11, I sat on the side seat Door Side at the front of the Vehicle as I quite like sitting here and getting a perfect view of the Journey Ahead, Once again quite a short journey but that doesnt matter as having a ride on any Wright Renown in the GNE Fleet is a Joyful Journey, will be sad to see these go come the end of the Year, Only 5 Months Left, feeling horrible just typing this as no doubt Marcus will crying into his Sleep tonight at that thought Wink

After getting off 4917 at The Gate I made my towards Eldon Square so I could Photograph 4917 coming back out of Eldon Square, I continued up to Eldon Square where I bumped into Les and Kevin "The Tramp" showed up a few minutes later stuffing his face with a McDonalds, after a few minutes chat with Les I went into the Bus Station as my Dad had just gotten off the 21, We made our way through Haymarket so he could Renew his Bus Pass before heading around onto Northumberland Street to Eat for Less for some Dinner, I had a Cheese & Ham Panini and a Can of Vanilla Coke for £1.80, unreal Value for Money and the Panini was Freshly Made from Scratch also, and was very nice indeed, so if you want Cheap Dinner then I recommend you go there.

After we Finished our Dinner we made our way down to MetroRadio Arena to get our Tickets to see WWE in November, My Dad went to Pay using his Card until the Woman at the Box Office told us there was a £5 Charge for each Ticket when Purchasing by Card, so we made our way to the nearest Cash Point which was the Centre 4 Life, before heading back down for the Tickets, we then made our way back towards Eldon Square, we got as far as Centre 4 Life where I refused to walk any further due to a Blister popping on the heel of my Foot, thankfully as this occurred while crossing the Road I spotted 4841 in the Distance and opted to get on it. 

13:28 - 31 - 4841 - Centre 4 Life to Eldon Square
Having boarded 4841 we made the short hop to Eldon Square on what has to be my Last Journey on this particular Wright Renown which has clung on over the past few weeks, My decided he was going to head home as he thing to do at Home this afternoon so I made my way once again to Haymarket as I decided to go over North Shields on the 310 as I done the Route in full before.

13:47 - 310 - 6103 - Haymarket to North Shields
Once again I headed upstairs on what was very quiet with only myself and 3 other occupying the seats in the upper saloon throughout the Journey, I noted a few spots to take photos along the future, tell a white lie actually I only noted one and that was Cobalt as I wouldnt even think about taking photos along the rest of route as no offense but North Tyneside (Percy Main/Meadowell) in-particular are a complete dump.

14:50 - 333 - A20 OJD - North Shields to North Shields Ferry/15:00 - Shields Ferry - Spirit of the Tyne - North Shields to South Shields
Having taken few Photos, Got a Drink from B&Ms I got on the 333 down to North Shields Ferry Landing before hopping on the Spirit of the Tyne over to South Shields, I opted to sit upstairs on the Metal Benches and take in the Sea Air as it was rather warm Downstairs on the Vessel, think I sit upstairs more often when using the Shields Ferry as quite enjoyed the ride over.

Once on the South side of the River I made my from the Ferry Landing down onto Keppel Street where I spent 50 Minutes taking Photos, rather disappointingly I only saw two of the 15Reg E200s, as there were more 58Reg MAN/61 Reg E200s showing up, after getting a bit frustrated I made my way over to the stand for the 20A which I knew would be 8258.

16:04 - 20A - 8258 - South Shields to Sunderland
Rather surprising this journeh floo ont bey which was a good thing as some wifey from Yorkshire with her three kids on the opposite quadrant of seats were doing my head in, nevertheless 8258 provide quite a smooth ride with barely a rattle as we headed towards Sunderland where once we reached Park Lane the Driver missed the Stand thinking she was the 35, so had to do a loop, as this occurred I spotted 4842 another Renown which will be Withdrawn soon come in on the 39 to Pennywell, so I made my way around to get a Photo of both 4842/8258, shame it 8258 overheated once it got to West Rainton, must of sensed Dan was close by with his Camera and didnt fancy posing again for a Photo after I had taken one of it as it departed Park Lane.

16:53 - 8 - 5403 - Sunderland to Washington Galleries/17:39 - 50 - 5257 - Washington Galleries to Lambton
After several Minutes wait I got on 5403 as I couldnt be bothered walking down to Holmeside for the 2/2A, Plus I dont I of bared another journey on a Versa today, I made my to the second from last row at the rear Drivers side of a Red Hot 5403 where I was joined by some lass from Hill Billy Land who immediately started moaning about how Hot it was and how she thought £4.80 for a Single to Stanley was expensive, after brief chat she went silent and cracked open a Bottle of what I think was Strawberry Vodka or something like that, might of been something else.

Having getting off the Sauna that was 5403 I went into Asda for some Fresh Juice and some Doritos where I bumped into my Mother at the self service check outs, of course she made me carry her shopping for her back home, instead of walking we got on 5257 on the 50 for the short journey back home.

Hope you enjoyed reading my Review and I will see you ugly lot tomorrow at Whitley Bay Bus Rally.
Malarkey
04 Jul 2015, 8:11 pm #3,288

09:44 - 2 - 8324 - Lambton Village Centre to Washington Galleries 
Leaving the house a few minutes earlier than I usually do I headed for my local stop in the rain, hoping that 8248/52 would turn up on the 82, but instead the Bus which seems to be stalking me at the moment in the form of 8324 turned up, as whenever I seem to use the 2 to go anywhere, this Vehicle always turns up, not that its a bad thing, still these Versas have got nothing on the Citaros in which they replaced nor are they as nice as the Micro-Hybrid Streetlites, as this was a short journey there were nothing special to note. 

After waiting around for several minutes at The Galleries thinking 3943 would show up on the X88 as it usually does, I was admittedly quite disappointed to see 6011 turn up instead with its windows all steamed up I made my way Upstaires and sat a few rows from the back on the Drivers side of the Vehicle, a slow and steady journey ensued to the MetroCentre with 6011 failing to gain as real speed along the extremely messy A1, I was contemplating go home if the Weather didnt improve as it was rather gloomy, but after a few Minutes at the MetroCentre the rain stopped and it looked as though it was going to start brightening up a bit, after I a few Photos here I headed to Blaydon as I had seen a TEN B9TL coming in.

As I approached this B9TL I noticed it was 6083, A Vehicle which has alluded me since MetroCentre Bus Rally 2013 where I lasted seen it, this brightened my mood somewhat and I at the rear of the lower saloon and let the 10 Minute Journey pass by, once I reached Blaydon I made a quick dart across the road just so I could get a Photo, I then made my way through the Shopping Area to Morrisons Car Park where 5238 was situated, having took a quick photo I got a Free Ice Cream which was Delightful, probably one of the best I have had, then Bazza and his Posse showed up consisting of Davie, DanPick, Sid, Jack and someone else whos name escapes me, I boarded 5238 and got myself a goody bag which consisted of the following.

Toon Link 11 Timetable, Scratch Card(Once again I won), A Bus Drawing with Toon Link Branding and Crayons (Shame the Crayons dont match the Colour of the Bus like, didnt realise the Toon Link Branding was Red, Yellow, Blue & Green), someone in GNE Towers must be Colour Blind, suppose 3 of the colours do form the old Corporate Livery but that is beside the point, so whoever can have a few Brownie Points, and whoever decided to put Candy Rock in these Bags is a pure Genius as I love Candy Rock, ohh and its Black & White at least someone got something right, of cause I am just joking about here minus the Crayons, quite annoyed about them, was quite looking forward to doing a bit of colouring in once I finished this Review, guess it will have to wait till I get the correct Colours.

After putting names to faces on 5238 I headed back towards Blaydon Interchange, where I was planning on getting on the 69 to my Dads in Low Fell until I realised it took 33 Minutes, so I let 4915 on the 69 go and I rang my Dad to tell him to meet me in Eldon Square instead and we have Dinner in Toon, wait I mean Town as I am a Mackem and not an Inbred Geordie, 3972 pulled in on the 10A moments later and I immediately thought sack that and waited an extra few minutes for the 11 to turn up.

After opting to not get on 4915 on the 69 I was rather happy to see 4917 show up on the 11, I sat on the side seat Door Side at the front of the Vehicle as I quite like sitting here and getting a perfect view of the Journey Ahead, Once again quite a short journey but that doesnt matter as having a ride on any Wright Renown in the GNE Fleet is a Joyful Journey, will be sad to see these go come the end of the Year, Only 5 Months Left, feeling horrible just typing this as no doubt Marcus will crying into his Sleep tonight at that thought Wink

After getting off 4917 at The Gate I made my towards Eldon Square so I could Photograph 4917 coming back out of Eldon Square, I continued up to Eldon Square where I bumped into Les and Kevin "The Tramp" showed up a few minutes later stuffing his face with a McDonalds, after a few minutes chat with Les I went into the Bus Station as my Dad had just gotten off the 21, We made our way through Haymarket so he could Renew his Bus Pass before heading around onto Northumberland Street to Eat for Less for some Dinner, I had a Cheese & Ham Panini and a Can of Vanilla Coke for £1.80, unreal Value for Money and the Panini was Freshly Made from Scratch also, and was very nice indeed, so if you want Cheap Dinner then I recommend you go there.

After we Finished our Dinner we made our way down to MetroRadio Arena to get our Tickets to see WWE in November, My Dad went to Pay using his Card until the Woman at the Box Office told us there was a £5 Charge for each Ticket when Purchasing by Card, so we made our way to the nearest Cash Point which was the Centre 4 Life, before heading back down for the Tickets, we then made our way back towards Eldon Square, we got as far as Centre 4 Life where I refused to walk any further due to a Blister popping on the heel of my Foot, thankfully as this occurred while crossing the Road I spotted 4841 in the Distance and opted to get on it. 

Having boarded 4841 we made the short hop to Eldon Square on what has to be my Last Journey on this particular Wright Renown which has clung on over the past few weeks, My decided he was going to head home as he thing to do at Home this afternoon so I made my way once again to Haymarket as I decided to go over North Shields on the 310 as I done the Route in full before.

Once again I headed upstairs on what was very quiet with only myself and 3 other occupying the seats in the upper saloon throughout the Journey, I noted a few spots to take photos along the future, tell a white lie actually I only noted one and that was Cobalt as I wouldnt even think about taking photos along the rest of route as no offense but North Tyneside (Percy Main/Meadowell) in-particular are a complete dump.

14:50 - 333 - A20 OJD - North Shields to North Shields Ferry/15:00 - Shields Ferry - Spirit of the Tyne - North Shields to South Shields
Having taken few Photos, Got a Drink from B&Ms I got on the 333 down to North Shields Ferry Landing before hopping on the Spirit of the Tyne over to South Shields, I opted to sit upstairs on the Metal Benches and take in the Sea Air as it was rather warm Downstairs on the Vessel, think I sit upstairs more often when using the Shields Ferry as quite enjoyed the ride over.

Once on the South side of the River I made my from the Ferry Landing down onto Keppel Street where I spent 50 Minutes taking Photos, rather disappointingly I only saw two of the 15Reg E200s, as there were more 58Reg MAN/61 Reg E200s showing up, after getting a bit frustrated I made my way over to the stand for the 20A which I knew would be 8258.

Rather surprising this journeh floo ont bey which was a good thing as some wifey from Yorkshire with her three kids on the opposite quadrant of seats were doing my head in, nevertheless 8258 provide quite a smooth ride with barely a rattle as we headed towards Sunderland where once we reached Park Lane the Driver missed the Stand thinking she was the 35, so had to do a loop, as this occurred I spotted 4842 another Renown which will be Withdrawn soon come in on the 39 to Pennywell, so I made my way around to get a Photo of both 4842/8258, shame it 8258 overheated once it got to West Rainton, must of sensed Dan was close by with his Camera and didnt fancy posing again for a Photo after I had taken one of it as it departed Park Lane.

16:53 - 8 - 5403 - Sunderland to Washington Galleries/17:39 - 50 - 5257 - Washington Galleries to Lambton
After several Minutes wait I got on 5403 as I couldnt be bothered walking down to Holmeside for the 2/2A, Plus I dont I of bared another journey on a Versa today, I made my to the second from last row at the rear Drivers side of a Red Hot 5403 where I was joined by some lass from Hill Billy Land who immediately started moaning about how Hot it was and how she thought £4.80 for a Single to Stanley was expensive, after brief chat she went silent and cracked open a Bottle of what I think was Strawberry Vodka or something like that, might of been something else.

Having getting off the Sauna that was 5403 I went into Asda for some Fresh Juice and some Doritos where I bumped into my Mother at the self service check outs, of course she made me carry her shopping for her back home, instead of walking we got on 5257 on the 50 for the short journey back home.

Hope you enjoyed reading my Review and I will see you ugly lot tomorrow at Whitley Bay Bus Rally.

04 Jul 2015, 8:24 pm #3,289
I purchased a Get Around day ticket today, and ventured out as far as Hexham, sampling one or two services that I'd never used before until today. I'd arranged to meet with Adam again; during the week we did a bit of planning, but after the main part was over; we just made it up as we went along. Towards the end, we were joined by Adrian, and managed to perfectly time it at Newcastle Central, when 60163 ''Tornado'' came through.

#X25 – Chester-le-Street Corals to Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station – (09:38 --- 10:22) – Go North East 3872 – Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne
After arriving in Chester-le-Street between 09:30 and 09:35; I only had to wait a couple of minutes before this Lolyne came down Front Street. I was quite pleased to say the least; I'm not a hater of the Wright Solars, but anything with better capacity, and so more room, is better in my opinion. When I asked the driver for a ''Get Around'', he asked me if I wanted a 1 day ticket or a 7 day ticket. I'd never been asked this question before, so it surprised me, but I quickly replied that I was just after a 1 day ticket. Only a couple of people were downstairs, but towards the front upstairs there were about half a dozen people all bunched together. I decided to go for the very back seats, the legroom wasn't bad; I just listened to music through my earphones until Adam joined at his stop, located just before Wrekenton. Unsure if the bus stopped at all after this; but once again, when we got to Eldon Square, there was just the two of us upstairs. The plan was to catch the 10:30 express service up to Consett, then the 11:45 689 service to Hexham, so after waiting longer than I expected; the 10:30 service appeared on Percy Street, running about 10 minutes late. 

#X70 – Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station to Consett Bus Station – (10:41 --- 11:33) – Go North East 6128 – Scania N94UD/East Lancs OmniDekka
Fortunately, we had an OmniDekka on this run; which compensated for the delay. On the other hand, I don't think the time was really made up by this speedy machine. As I boarded, the driver asked to have a closer look at my Get Around, taking it out of my hands in the process. He smiled and gave it back after further inspection, though; once Adam had joined me upstairs as well, I took a photograph of the interior. The journey was very nice, with all of the power of the Scania OmniDekka; Adam commented on how you wouldn't have thought the bus was twelve years of age! Despite a handful of people getting on and off throughout the journey; nobody else joined us on the upper saloon. We just had a general discussion to pass the time, however, something of note, is that towards Consett, I began to notice the rear seats upstairs were rattling pretty noticeably. Upon arrival in Consett, the time was 11:33; and we saw a ''Venture'' branded Optare Solo in one of the stands that is usually occupied by a staff shuttle, presumably preparing to go out into service and operate the 11:45.

#689 – Consett Bus Station to Hexham Bus Station – (11:47 --- 12:41) – Go North East 652 – Optare Solo SR M890/Optare
After making a quick trip to the Gregg's located near the bus station in Consett; we arrived back with just enough time to walk up to the stand. The driver was standing in the doorway, on his phone; so I asked him if he was the 689. He advised me to go down to Stand F, where he would be leaving from. I was quite surprised that in the queue with us, were seven other passengers. Having never travelled on the 689 service before; and going on reports that it was usually only carrying a couple of passengers at best, I was quite surprised to say the least. They were all OAPs, so sat towards the front of the vehicle; whilst Adam and I hit the back seats. The seating was very ''plushy'' and almost-pillow like when you put your head against the very top. In terms of the scenery; the route is absolutely fantastic. After the Ebchester area, it is Hail & Ride; must be handy if you can be picked up at your front door. I would definitely recommend this trip to anybody; while it does feel like it drags on after a while, the scenery is fantastic and the bus never really gets full, so you'll be in for a good ride. I'll most likely do the 689 again during the summer holidays.

#687 – Hexham Bus Station to Corbridge, Hill Street – (12:48 --- 13:03) – Go North East 559 – Transbus MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer
Adam told me during the week, when we were planning; that he had used the 687 from Hexham to Corbridge before, then made a connection onto a ''Tynedale Express'' service to Newcastle. To mix things up a bit; we decided to go with this. I took a few photos in Hexham Bus Station; of Wright Cadet 8273 in the layover, and Wright Solar 5231, during a driver changeover; I also acquired some timetables of the Hexham based services. Then, we joined the confusing queue for the 687. It seemed some were wanting Go North East's express to Newcastle, Arriva's 85 to Haydon Bridge (then on to Carlisle) and the ''Tynedale Links'' 687 to Corbridge. When the 687 did come around to it's stand; following a driver changeover; Adam, myself and five others boarded. I do like how smart the ''Tynedale Links'' branded MPDs appear, but dear god... This bus rattled like a shed in a gale! I could feel the vibrations of it going down my spine. That aside, it was quite a speedy little thing and got us to Corbridge with enough time to disembark one stop before the Hill Street stop, then allowing me to get a photograph of it, which I was quite happy with upon viewing it on the desktop. 

#X84 – Corbridge, Angel Inn to Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station – (13:12 --- 14:06) – Go North East 5230 – Scania L94UB/Wright Solar
After making our way down to the Angel Inn, we awaited the X84 to Newcastle. We noticed the amount of cyclists stopping for either a meal or a drink at the Angel Inn; it looked like quite a nice little pub. Before long, we heard the engine of a bus approaching; it rounded the corner moments later and we boarded. Roughly half-full, we sat at the back seats of 5230; the bus operating this service. Despite being quite stuffy due to the heat by this point, it was an enjoyable journey. I couldn't get enough of the engine; it sounded fantastic and so much like a Plaxton Prestige when pulling away. The seating was also very comfy; despite the heat somewhat ruining everything. Enjoyed this journey, although despite being quite scenic; it did seem to drag on a bit. I think next time I head through to Hexham; which I'm planning on during the summer holidays, complete with a round trip on the ''Hadrian's Wall'' AD122 service and a walk down to Go North East's Hexham depot.

#32 – Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station to Blaydon Bus Station – (14:13 --- 14:35) – Go North East 5234 – Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity
I browsed the timetables on display in Eldon Square, picking up several in the process. Another aim for today was to pay a quick visit to the ''Toon Link'' launch in Blaydon. So, with this in mind, we boarded the 14:15 32 service there. It was operated by OmniCity 5234; still looking resplendent in it's striking new livery. The only thing that disappointed me about this; was that I had already been on it before following transfer to the ''Toon Link'' group of services, with it being my second ride on the services following the upgrade, I was hoping for another example as opposed to one I had already been on it. Back on-topic; we sat at the quadrant with the massive amount of legroom, Adam faced the front while I faced the rear. Like all OmniCity journeys; it was a tad boring but was over before we knew it. During this journey, Adrian contacted me saying he was at the MetroCentre; so after going to Blaydon, I arranged to meet him at the MetroCentre.  

#10 – Blaydon Bus Station to MetroCentre Transport Interchange – (14:51 --- 15:00) – Go North East 6076 – Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
We walked to Morrisons, where we found ''Toon Link'' 5238 enjoying a day at the event. The music was being blasted as loud as possible, which irritated me somewhat. All of the attention was in the direction of some young children who were messing around, so it took a while for any of the numerous Go North East employees to notice me. I was handed a bag by one of the women, before I walked away. Back at the bus station; a wait of about 5 minutes took place before the next thing bound for the MetroCentre showed up. This was ''TEN'' branded B9TL 6076; we sat downstairs at the back. Again, the heat was something of an irritant. A journey time of just under ten minutes to the MetroCentre; I was impressed with the speeds this example got up to on the stretch of motorway between the two locations. Just like any other B9TL, it was a fantastic runner. I would say ''smooth as a baby's bum'', but that is probably frowned upon these days... 

#47 – MetroCentre Transport Interchange to Newcastle, Clayton Street West – (15:21 --- 15:39) – Go North East 6119 – Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
After Adrian joined us about 5 minutes after notifying him of our arrival, I introduced him to Adam and we sat in the main Interchange for a while. Two ''TEN'' branded vehicles showed up, so for the sake of variety; we decided to wait for the next non-''TEN'' to show. This was in the form of ''Red Kite'' 6119; the only one I need for haulage. I was quite happy, as it was very quiet too; with no more than ten other passengers throughout. We occupied the front upstairs; Adam on the right, Adrian behind me and myself at the left at the front. Not really paying attention to anything, we were shocked to see Peppercorn A1 ''Tornado'' fly through the MetroCentre with it's single coach with it (I know it's got a purpose, but I just can't remember!). Then again, when we were crossing the Tyne, we saw it on the King Edward Bridge. Adrian checked Real Time Trains; it wasn't due through into Central for another 15 minutes or so. Despite me suffering some camera issues, with Adrian's IT knowledge I managed to get it going again. Take the battery out and put it back in: sorted.

Train Spotting at Newcastle Central Station
For those of you who don't hold an interest, in trains; skip this part. We inquired at the Information Desk, just next to the ticket barriers, about a platform pass. The man redirected us to the woman manning the disabled gate. Again, we were redirected to a man on the ticket barriers; they certainly don't confuse you... Thankfully, he swiped his pass and allowed us through. According to Real Time Trains; Tornado was due to pass through on Platform 3. Our little group headed up to the top of Platform 2, where a group of three other enthusiasts had taken command of the very top; so we made do with a spot just down from it. A Class 91 set came in, 91127(?) was at the front while the rest of the set was ''Virgin Trains East Coast'' livery, along with the Driving Van Trailer. Next in, was yet another Class 91 set; this bowled quite a few shots as it got in the way of Tornado, which came past it on Platform 3. Due to the sunlight and the sudden rush of others to get a photograph, simply put; mine came out rubbish. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant sight... Although maybe a blow of the whistle (that is not a sex reference) would have been appreciated.

#X71 – Newcastle, High Level Bridge to Gateshead Transport Interchange – (16:12 --- 16:17) – Go North East 3831 – Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 2
Rather than get the Tyne and Wear Metro to Haymarket, then the ''Angel'' back to Chester-le-Street; Adrian suggested we had a walk along to the High Level Bridge and I catch it from there. To my surprise; as I waited for an ''Angel'', a ''Yellow Bus'' branded Volvo Olympian showed; out of nowhere. As ever, one couldn't refuse a ride on it, albeit brief, so we flagged it down and boarded. It was 3831, the last time I rode this was when I sat at the very back downstairs, and listened to the engine for the whole journey up to Stanley. Was brilliant then, I sat in the exact same seat as last time, and it was exactly the same. Very much enjoyed it, although it was only for about 5 minutes.

#21 – Gateshead Transport Interchange to Chester-le-Street Red Lion – (16:21 --- 16:46) – Go North East 6067 – Volvo B5LH/Wright Gemini 2
After leaving Adrian and Adam, I hovered around the stand for the 21. Within a couple of minutes, it appeared; it was a Chester-le-Street bound service so I just went with it. The journey was over in 25 minutes, it absolutely flew by. Nice and smooth, as usual; despite quite a lot of passengers when we left Gateshead, most had dispersed by the Angel of the North. I listened to my earphones for the journey, upon alighting in Chester-le-Street, I had a walk up to Morrisons, purchasing a Roast Chicken Leg for as little as £1.30. Then, after walking back down the St. Cuthbert's Walk, I caught Volvo B5LH 6060 on the 21 back up to Clifford Terrace, just a few stops away. Once I was in the house, I ate the Chicken Leg (was very nice!), uploaded my photos to Flickr, and started typing the review up.  

Thank you to Adam and Adrian for joining me today, it was nice to see you again. Unfortunately I will not be attending the Whitley Bay Rally tomorrow, in case anybody spends the whole day looking for me... Anyway, thank you for reading, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Smile

Marcus
R852 PRG
04 Jul 2015, 8:24 pm #3,289

I purchased a Get Around day ticket today, and ventured out as far as Hexham, sampling one or two services that I'd never used before until today. I'd arranged to meet with Adam again; during the week we did a bit of planning, but after the main part was over; we just made it up as we went along. Towards the end, we were joined by Adrian, and managed to perfectly time it at Newcastle Central, when 60163 ''Tornado'' came through.

#X25 – Chester-le-Street Corals to Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station – (09:38 --- 10:22) – Go North East 3872 – Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne
After arriving in Chester-le-Street between 09:30 and 09:35; I only had to wait a couple of minutes before this Lolyne came down Front Street. I was quite pleased to say the least; I'm not a hater of the Wright Solars, but anything with better capacity, and so more room, is better in my opinion. When I asked the driver for a ''Get Around'', he asked me if I wanted a 1 day ticket or a 7 day ticket. I'd never been asked this question before, so it surprised me, but I quickly replied that I was just after a 1 day ticket. Only a couple of people were downstairs, but towards the front upstairs there were about half a dozen people all bunched together. I decided to go for the very back seats, the legroom wasn't bad; I just listened to music through my earphones until Adam joined at his stop, located just before Wrekenton. Unsure if the bus stopped at all after this; but once again, when we got to Eldon Square, there was just the two of us upstairs. The plan was to catch the 10:30 express service up to Consett, then the 11:45 689 service to Hexham, so after waiting longer than I expected; the 10:30 service appeared on Percy Street, running about 10 minutes late. 

#X70 – Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station to Consett Bus Station – (10:41 --- 11:33) – Go North East 6128 – Scania N94UD/East Lancs OmniDekka
Fortunately, we had an OmniDekka on this run; which compensated for the delay. On the other hand, I don't think the time was really made up by this speedy machine. As I boarded, the driver asked to have a closer look at my Get Around, taking it out of my hands in the process. He smiled and gave it back after further inspection, though; once Adam had joined me upstairs as well, I took a photograph of the interior. The journey was very nice, with all of the power of the Scania OmniDekka; Adam commented on how you wouldn't have thought the bus was twelve years of age! Despite a handful of people getting on and off throughout the journey; nobody else joined us on the upper saloon. We just had a general discussion to pass the time, however, something of note, is that towards Consett, I began to notice the rear seats upstairs were rattling pretty noticeably. Upon arrival in Consett, the time was 11:33; and we saw a ''Venture'' branded Optare Solo in one of the stands that is usually occupied by a staff shuttle, presumably preparing to go out into service and operate the 11:45.

#689 – Consett Bus Station to Hexham Bus Station – (11:47 --- 12:41) – Go North East 652 – Optare Solo SR M890/Optare
After making a quick trip to the Gregg's located near the bus station in Consett; we arrived back with just enough time to walk up to the stand. The driver was standing in the doorway, on his phone; so I asked him if he was the 689. He advised me to go down to Stand F, where he would be leaving from. I was quite surprised that in the queue with us, were seven other passengers. Having never travelled on the 689 service before; and going on reports that it was usually only carrying a couple of passengers at best, I was quite surprised to say the least. They were all OAPs, so sat towards the front of the vehicle; whilst Adam and I hit the back seats. The seating was very ''plushy'' and almost-pillow like when you put your head against the very top. In terms of the scenery; the route is absolutely fantastic. After the Ebchester area, it is Hail & Ride; must be handy if you can be picked up at your front door. I would definitely recommend this trip to anybody; while it does feel like it drags on after a while, the scenery is fantastic and the bus never really gets full, so you'll be in for a good ride. I'll most likely do the 689 again during the summer holidays.

#687 – Hexham Bus Station to Corbridge, Hill Street – (12:48 --- 13:03) – Go North East 559 – Transbus MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer
Adam told me during the week, when we were planning; that he had used the 687 from Hexham to Corbridge before, then made a connection onto a ''Tynedale Express'' service to Newcastle. To mix things up a bit; we decided to go with this. I took a few photos in Hexham Bus Station; of Wright Cadet 8273 in the layover, and Wright Solar 5231, during a driver changeover; I also acquired some timetables of the Hexham based services. Then, we joined the confusing queue for the 687. It seemed some were wanting Go North East's express to Newcastle, Arriva's 85 to Haydon Bridge (then on to Carlisle) and the ''Tynedale Links'' 687 to Corbridge. When the 687 did come around to it's stand; following a driver changeover; Adam, myself and five others boarded. I do like how smart the ''Tynedale Links'' branded MPDs appear, but dear god... This bus rattled like a shed in a gale! I could feel the vibrations of it going down my spine. That aside, it was quite a speedy little thing and got us to Corbridge with enough time to disembark one stop before the Hill Street stop, then allowing me to get a photograph of it, which I was quite happy with upon viewing it on the desktop. 

#X84 – Corbridge, Angel Inn to Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station – (13:12 --- 14:06) – Go North East 5230 – Scania L94UB/Wright Solar
After making our way down to the Angel Inn, we awaited the X84 to Newcastle. We noticed the amount of cyclists stopping for either a meal or a drink at the Angel Inn; it looked like quite a nice little pub. Before long, we heard the engine of a bus approaching; it rounded the corner moments later and we boarded. Roughly half-full, we sat at the back seats of 5230; the bus operating this service. Despite being quite stuffy due to the heat by this point, it was an enjoyable journey. I couldn't get enough of the engine; it sounded fantastic and so much like a Plaxton Prestige when pulling away. The seating was also very comfy; despite the heat somewhat ruining everything. Enjoyed this journey, although despite being quite scenic; it did seem to drag on a bit. I think next time I head through to Hexham; which I'm planning on during the summer holidays, complete with a round trip on the ''Hadrian's Wall'' AD122 service and a walk down to Go North East's Hexham depot.

#32 – Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station to Blaydon Bus Station – (14:13 --- 14:35) – Go North East 5234 – Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity
I browsed the timetables on display in Eldon Square, picking up several in the process. Another aim for today was to pay a quick visit to the ''Toon Link'' launch in Blaydon. So, with this in mind, we boarded the 14:15 32 service there. It was operated by OmniCity 5234; still looking resplendent in it's striking new livery. The only thing that disappointed me about this; was that I had already been on it before following transfer to the ''Toon Link'' group of services, with it being my second ride on the services following the upgrade, I was hoping for another example as opposed to one I had already been on it. Back on-topic; we sat at the quadrant with the massive amount of legroom, Adam faced the front while I faced the rear. Like all OmniCity journeys; it was a tad boring but was over before we knew it. During this journey, Adrian contacted me saying he was at the MetroCentre; so after going to Blaydon, I arranged to meet him at the MetroCentre.  

#10 – Blaydon Bus Station to MetroCentre Transport Interchange – (14:51 --- 15:00) – Go North East 6076 – Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
We walked to Morrisons, where we found ''Toon Link'' 5238 enjoying a day at the event. The music was being blasted as loud as possible, which irritated me somewhat. All of the attention was in the direction of some young children who were messing around, so it took a while for any of the numerous Go North East employees to notice me. I was handed a bag by one of the women, before I walked away. Back at the bus station; a wait of about 5 minutes took place before the next thing bound for the MetroCentre showed up. This was ''TEN'' branded B9TL 6076; we sat downstairs at the back. Again, the heat was something of an irritant. A journey time of just under ten minutes to the MetroCentre; I was impressed with the speeds this example got up to on the stretch of motorway between the two locations. Just like any other B9TL, it was a fantastic runner. I would say ''smooth as a baby's bum'', but that is probably frowned upon these days... 

#47 – MetroCentre Transport Interchange to Newcastle, Clayton Street West – (15:21 --- 15:39) – Go North East 6119 – Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
After Adrian joined us about 5 minutes after notifying him of our arrival, I introduced him to Adam and we sat in the main Interchange for a while. Two ''TEN'' branded vehicles showed up, so for the sake of variety; we decided to wait for the next non-''TEN'' to show. This was in the form of ''Red Kite'' 6119; the only one I need for haulage. I was quite happy, as it was very quiet too; with no more than ten other passengers throughout. We occupied the front upstairs; Adam on the right, Adrian behind me and myself at the left at the front. Not really paying attention to anything, we were shocked to see Peppercorn A1 ''Tornado'' fly through the MetroCentre with it's single coach with it (I know it's got a purpose, but I just can't remember!). Then again, when we were crossing the Tyne, we saw it on the King Edward Bridge. Adrian checked Real Time Trains; it wasn't due through into Central for another 15 minutes or so. Despite me suffering some camera issues, with Adrian's IT knowledge I managed to get it going again. Take the battery out and put it back in: sorted.

Train Spotting at Newcastle Central Station
For those of you who don't hold an interest, in trains; skip this part. We inquired at the Information Desk, just next to the ticket barriers, about a platform pass. The man redirected us to the woman manning the disabled gate. Again, we were redirected to a man on the ticket barriers; they certainly don't confuse you... Thankfully, he swiped his pass and allowed us through. According to Real Time Trains; Tornado was due to pass through on Platform 3. Our little group headed up to the top of Platform 2, where a group of three other enthusiasts had taken command of the very top; so we made do with a spot just down from it. A Class 91 set came in, 91127(?) was at the front while the rest of the set was ''Virgin Trains East Coast'' livery, along with the Driving Van Trailer. Next in, was yet another Class 91 set; this bowled quite a few shots as it got in the way of Tornado, which came past it on Platform 3. Due to the sunlight and the sudden rush of others to get a photograph, simply put; mine came out rubbish. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant sight... Although maybe a blow of the whistle (that is not a sex reference) would have been appreciated.

#X71 – Newcastle, High Level Bridge to Gateshead Transport Interchange – (16:12 --- 16:17) – Go North East 3831 – Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 2
Rather than get the Tyne and Wear Metro to Haymarket, then the ''Angel'' back to Chester-le-Street; Adrian suggested we had a walk along to the High Level Bridge and I catch it from there. To my surprise; as I waited for an ''Angel'', a ''Yellow Bus'' branded Volvo Olympian showed; out of nowhere. As ever, one couldn't refuse a ride on it, albeit brief, so we flagged it down and boarded. It was 3831, the last time I rode this was when I sat at the very back downstairs, and listened to the engine for the whole journey up to Stanley. Was brilliant then, I sat in the exact same seat as last time, and it was exactly the same. Very much enjoyed it, although it was only for about 5 minutes.

#21 – Gateshead Transport Interchange to Chester-le-Street Red Lion – (16:21 --- 16:46) – Go North East 6067 – Volvo B5LH/Wright Gemini 2
After leaving Adrian and Adam, I hovered around the stand for the 21. Within a couple of minutes, it appeared; it was a Chester-le-Street bound service so I just went with it. The journey was over in 25 minutes, it absolutely flew by. Nice and smooth, as usual; despite quite a lot of passengers when we left Gateshead, most had dispersed by the Angel of the North. I listened to my earphones for the journey, upon alighting in Chester-le-Street, I had a walk up to Morrisons, purchasing a Roast Chicken Leg for as little as £1.30. Then, after walking back down the St. Cuthbert's Walk, I caught Volvo B5LH 6060 on the 21 back up to Clifford Terrace, just a few stops away. Once I was in the house, I ate the Chicken Leg (was very nice!), uploaded my photos to Flickr, and started typing the review up.  

Thank you to Adam and Adrian for joining me today, it was nice to see you again. Unfortunately I will not be attending the Whitley Bay Rally tomorrow, in case anybody spends the whole day looking for me... Anyway, thank you for reading, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Smile

Marcus

DanPicken

Banned

04 Jul 2015, 8:29 pm #3,290
(04 Jul 2015, 8:11 pm)Malarkey 09:44 - 2 - 8324 - Lambton Village Centre to Washington Galleries 

The other one was Lee.
DanPicken
04 Jul 2015, 8:29 pm #3,290

(04 Jul 2015, 8:11 pm)Malarkey 09:44 - 2 - 8324 - Lambton Village Centre to Washington Galleries 

The other one was Lee.

Jimmi

04 Jul 2015, 8:36 pm #3,291
(04 Jul 2015, 8:11 pm)Malarkey I spent 50 Minutes taking Photos, rather disappointingly I only saw two of the 15Reg E200s, as there were more 58Reg MAN/61 Reg E200s showing up, after getting a bit frustrated I made my way over to the stand for the 20A which I knew would be 8258.

Which two did you get out of interest?

I got 37303 and 37304.
Jimmi
04 Jul 2015, 8:36 pm #3,291

(04 Jul 2015, 8:11 pm)Malarkey I spent 50 Minutes taking Photos, rather disappointingly I only saw two of the 15Reg E200s, as there were more 58Reg MAN/61 Reg E200s showing up, after getting a bit frustrated I made my way over to the stand for the 20A which I knew would be 8258.

Which two did you get out of interest?

I got 37303 and 37304.

Malarkey

04 Jul 2015, 8:46 pm #3,292
(04 Jul 2015, 8:36 pm)Jimmi Which two did you get out of interest?

I got 37303 and 37304.

I caught 37304 & 37305
Malarkey
04 Jul 2015, 8:46 pm #3,292

(04 Jul 2015, 8:36 pm)Jimmi Which two did you get out of interest?

I got 37303 and 37304.

I caught 37304 & 37305

Jimmi

04 Jul 2015, 8:49 pm #3,293
(04 Jul 2015, 8:46 pm)Malarkey I caught 37304 & 37305

37305 must of been the one I just missed when I jumped off the E1.

Oh well, at least I managed to get two in the short time I was there.
Jimmi
04 Jul 2015, 8:49 pm #3,293

(04 Jul 2015, 8:46 pm)Malarkey I caught 37304 & 37305

37305 must of been the one I just missed when I jumped off the E1.

Oh well, at least I managed to get two in the short time I was there.

04 Jul 2015, 9:56 pm #3,294
Getting frustrated with being so busy the past few weeks I thought enough is enough and get at least get 2 buses please note this is 2 mini outings over 2 days......

Strait after going to see my sister get on the coach to her venue for Prom and not returning until 12:30am I decided to for a E200 bash...

Journey 1 Home - South Shields Town Centre ADL Enviro 200 36475 18:57-19:25 Service 18

Expecting a integral E200 because there was only 2 or 3 MANviros out that day I hoped for a lucky catch ( 15 Reg Enviro ) but that didn't work out, in the end catching one from the original batch to enter service here in November 2011. The driver was in such a hurry, in the middle of picking my change and nearly got thrown the length of the bus! a nice load of around 7 people, picking up around 13 people through the journey even 1 of my friends from football gets on, Saying he's going to Tantobie via the Metro,X66 and X43 to visit his Dad. he gets off at Chichester to catch his Metro ad I continue to Kepple Street where I get off.

Hanging around for around 15 minuets for 1 of the 3 15 reg E200s out on Friday and 1 finally turns up on the 12.

Journey 2 South Sheilds Town Centre - Harton Nook ADL Enviro 200 37305 19:40-19:55 Service 12

Get in! I find one of the new E200s for my local routes ( 10,11,18 ) on the 12. I get on to find 2 drunk men singing the Wheels on the Bus. I sit a few rows in front of them but still manage to here them talking about how there going to cheat the benefits system and that stuff. Thankfully they get off around Tyne Dock and I go and sit a few rows towards the back to here the engine and gearbox. the driver put his foot down and the engine did well the thing I hate about the gearbox is the lack of a Kickdown button like the MANs which results in the driver putting his foot down but only gets a half kickdown in return. I abandon bus in the nook to find 1 of my friends from school ordering a Chinese yum yum, I chose not to disturb her and find another bus back to the town.

I wait in the nook for around 20 minutes to find either 22734 or 19194 on the Es or something else, in the distance I see 22725 on the 7 so I sprint across the road and up the road only to get ignored by the driver so I just wait another 10 mins for the 10 to the Crematorium which is only a short walk from my home.

Journey 3 Harton Nook - Simonside Crematorium ADL Envir 200 36469 20:08-?  Service 10

Nothing much to comment on just the bus was packed and the bus struggled up the fast part of the John Reid Road. from getting of the bus I walk the short distance home getting home for around 20:40

The next day ( Today ) I was going to leave my Mam and Dad at home and meet them again at the Metrocentre to go to the cinema, yes the cinema on this boiling hot day!
So I walk from my home towards the Metro station to hear a Northern 142 going over the points just after the station. From my memory a metro is due 4 minutes after the Northen 142....it was, and I miss the train by a fraction after sprinting to the platform and buying my ticket so I wait another 9 minuets for the next one..

Journey 1 Brockely Whins - Heworth Interchange Metrocars ? and ? ( sorry I forgot their numbers )

Preety much packed like normal. The metrocar was rattling and had Minor corrosion which shows that these Metrocars were definatly done on the cheap.
Nothing else to say, It was only a 10 minute journey.

I get off a Heworth and grab a drink form the Newsagents in the station and went to catch which ever bus comes first

Journey 2 Heworth Interchange - Gateshead Interchange Optare Versa 11.7 Metres 5388  Service 58

Driver was really slow and drove in that really annoying ECO way. I like these Versas but preferred the Mercedes Citaro G Bendys that once plied this very busy route.
In my opinion the Versas are too small for this route maybe a powerful Double Deck like a B9TL would have been good but there not in production anymore so anyways..
Very busy,mostly older people but also 2 buggies and some kids my age and older aswell.relieved to arrive in Gateshead after having 25 mins of total Slowness.

My Mam,Dad and Nana are in Toby Carvery in the Metroasis place so I catch the 49 instead of the X66 as it stops right at the door.

Journey 3 Gateshead Interchange - Metroasis Mercedes Citaro 5331 service 49

Very good Journey but then, what do you expect from a Citaro? Bus was packed and nothing else to comment on....

HAve a good weekend and I might see yous at Whitley bay tomorrow sorry if I disturb you for a quick hello just haven't met yous in person before.

Once again have a nice weekend!!!
Edited 04 Jul 2015, 9:59 pm by South Tyne Lad.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
04 Jul 2015, 9:56 pm #3,294

Getting frustrated with being so busy the past few weeks I thought enough is enough and get at least get 2 buses please note this is 2 mini outings over 2 days......

Strait after going to see my sister get on the coach to her venue for Prom and not returning until 12:30am I decided to for a E200 bash...

Journey 1 Home - South Shields Town Centre ADL Enviro 200 36475 18:57-19:25 Service 18

Expecting a integral E200 because there was only 2 or 3 MANviros out that day I hoped for a lucky catch ( 15 Reg Enviro ) but that didn't work out, in the end catching one from the original batch to enter service here in November 2011. The driver was in such a hurry, in the middle of picking my change and nearly got thrown the length of the bus! a nice load of around 7 people, picking up around 13 people through the journey even 1 of my friends from football gets on, Saying he's going to Tantobie via the Metro,X66 and X43 to visit his Dad. he gets off at Chichester to catch his Metro ad I continue to Kepple Street where I get off.

Hanging around for around 15 minuets for 1 of the 3 15 reg E200s out on Friday and 1 finally turns up on the 12.

Journey 2 South Sheilds Town Centre - Harton Nook ADL Enviro 200 37305 19:40-19:55 Service 12

Get in! I find one of the new E200s for my local routes ( 10,11,18 ) on the 12. I get on to find 2 drunk men singing the Wheels on the Bus. I sit a few rows in front of them but still manage to here them talking about how there going to cheat the benefits system and that stuff. Thankfully they get off around Tyne Dock and I go and sit a few rows towards the back to here the engine and gearbox. the driver put his foot down and the engine did well the thing I hate about the gearbox is the lack of a Kickdown button like the MANs which results in the driver putting his foot down but only gets a half kickdown in return. I abandon bus in the nook to find 1 of my friends from school ordering a Chinese yum yum, I chose not to disturb her and find another bus back to the town.

I wait in the nook for around 20 minutes to find either 22734 or 19194 on the Es or something else, in the distance I see 22725 on the 7 so I sprint across the road and up the road only to get ignored by the driver so I just wait another 10 mins for the 10 to the Crematorium which is only a short walk from my home.

Journey 3 Harton Nook - Simonside Crematorium ADL Envir 200 36469 20:08-?  Service 10

Nothing much to comment on just the bus was packed and the bus struggled up the fast part of the John Reid Road. from getting of the bus I walk the short distance home getting home for around 20:40

The next day ( Today ) I was going to leave my Mam and Dad at home and meet them again at the Metrocentre to go to the cinema, yes the cinema on this boiling hot day!
So I walk from my home towards the Metro station to hear a Northern 142 going over the points just after the station. From my memory a metro is due 4 minutes after the Northen 142....it was, and I miss the train by a fraction after sprinting to the platform and buying my ticket so I wait another 9 minuets for the next one..

Journey 1 Brockely Whins - Heworth Interchange Metrocars ? and ? ( sorry I forgot their numbers )

Preety much packed like normal. The metrocar was rattling and had Minor corrosion which shows that these Metrocars were definatly done on the cheap.
Nothing else to say, It was only a 10 minute journey.

I get off a Heworth and grab a drink form the Newsagents in the station and went to catch which ever bus comes first

Journey 2 Heworth Interchange - Gateshead Interchange Optare Versa 11.7 Metres 5388  Service 58

Driver was really slow and drove in that really annoying ECO way. I like these Versas but preferred the Mercedes Citaro G Bendys that once plied this very busy route.
In my opinion the Versas are too small for this route maybe a powerful Double Deck like a B9TL would have been good but there not in production anymore so anyways..
Very busy,mostly older people but also 2 buggies and some kids my age and older aswell.relieved to arrive in Gateshead after having 25 mins of total Slowness.

My Mam,Dad and Nana are in Toby Carvery in the Metroasis place so I catch the 49 instead of the X66 as it stops right at the door.

Journey 3 Gateshead Interchange - Metroasis Mercedes Citaro 5331 service 49

Very good Journey but then, what do you expect from a Citaro? Bus was packed and nothing else to comment on....

HAve a good weekend and I might see yous at Whitley bay tomorrow sorry if I disturb you for a quick hello just haven't met yous in person before.

Once again have a nice weekend!!!

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

Jimmi

05 Jul 2015, 8:33 pm #3,295
Another Bus Outing today for the trip up to Whitley Bay.

0847 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham (ANE 1513)
Starting off on the 7 with 1513 being my ride to Durham this morning. As this run starts at Aycliffe Town Centre it started off pretty quiet but got pretty busy as the journey went on which made me rather happy especially as this early Aycliffe - Durham morning journey was introduced last year and I hope it continues to operate as it comes in really handy if I want to head towards Durham and beyond on a Sunday especially for rallies like today and before this journey was introduced the first 7 to Durham was at 0937 which wasn't ideal so I hope this journey continues to operate.

0944 X22 Durham - MetroCentre (GNE 4929)
As the thought of spending an hour on the 21 sent shivers down my spine I decided to get this to the MetroCentre then catch another bus to Newcastle from there to add some more variety. This was actually one of the better Solars I have been on recently didn't rattle as much as some do and was a fairly comfortable journey.

1035 43 MetroCentre - Eldon Square (GNE 5293)
Waited for the first bus heading to Newcastle which ended up being this which made me rather happy as I haven't been on Citaro's much recently and made me even happier as many of the passengers jumped off at the MetroCentre so there was plenty of seats to choose from meaning I could sit where I want meaning I could sit somewhere where the heater doesn't take up all the leg room. Quite a nice journey and another thing I liked on this journey was the driver went round by the car garages near the Metro Radio Arena and the Centre 4 Life which made a nice change to the usual way to reach Central Station. Taking this detour via the MetroCentre got me into Newcastle just over 5 minutes later than the 21 would have.

1107 308 Newcastle - Whitley Bay (ANE 1583)
I would end up getting a StreetLite, oh well! I actually don't mind StreetLite's although I don't love them it has to be said. This was a failry smooth journey although I found going down the Coast Road rather boring especially coming off it every 2 minutes to serve bus stops unlike the last time I came down there on the 58X which doesn't stop until it reaches Newcastle. Eventually got to Whitley Bay and was rather pleased to be there as this is not the most interesting route in my opinion.

1310 309 Whitley Bay - Newcastle (GNE 6114)
After spending just over an hour at the rally I decided to head home, I let the 308 go past as I got the 308 there so I thought I'd get a 309 back with Adrian joining me on this journey. Was a bit bouncy as it went round Whitley Bay Town Centre. The next stop announcements on this service were alright non of this remain seated garbage. Was pretty quick down the Coast Road DaveyBowyer will be pleased to hear, although going along the Coast Road is rather boring especially with coming on/off all the time.

1400 X10 Newcastle - Peterlee (GNE 6044)
Every time! 6046 on this service again, get this every time without fail on the TTX although there is only 6 branded buses so it's bound to happen. This is probably where my headache came from as the wind striking against the bus was defining and the windows suddenly closing gave me a heart attack. Never enjoy the X10 that much as there isn't much scenery on this route. Didn't enjoy this journey much at all and was pleased to be off in Peterlee.

1501 21 Peterlee - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 4813)
Was pleased to get an ex demonstrator on this service as the seats are more comfortable and then I tried to connect to the non existent WiFi. I quite the 21 route but I didn't enjoy this journey much because I developed a headache and I just wanted to be home at this point.

Well that is what I had today, hope you enjoyed reading.

I will be going into hiding this week as I have a few things on so there may not be much in the way of photos or anything bus repeated in the next week or so but I am thinking of heading to the MetroCentre on Tuesday.
Jimmi
05 Jul 2015, 8:33 pm #3,295

Another Bus Outing today for the trip up to Whitley Bay.

0847 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham (ANE 1513)
Starting off on the 7 with 1513 being my ride to Durham this morning. As this run starts at Aycliffe Town Centre it started off pretty quiet but got pretty busy as the journey went on which made me rather happy especially as this early Aycliffe - Durham morning journey was introduced last year and I hope it continues to operate as it comes in really handy if I want to head towards Durham and beyond on a Sunday especially for rallies like today and before this journey was introduced the first 7 to Durham was at 0937 which wasn't ideal so I hope this journey continues to operate.

0944 X22 Durham - MetroCentre (GNE 4929)
As the thought of spending an hour on the 21 sent shivers down my spine I decided to get this to the MetroCentre then catch another bus to Newcastle from there to add some more variety. This was actually one of the better Solars I have been on recently didn't rattle as much as some do and was a fairly comfortable journey.

1035 43 MetroCentre - Eldon Square (GNE 5293)
Waited for the first bus heading to Newcastle which ended up being this which made me rather happy as I haven't been on Citaro's much recently and made me even happier as many of the passengers jumped off at the MetroCentre so there was plenty of seats to choose from meaning I could sit where I want meaning I could sit somewhere where the heater doesn't take up all the leg room. Quite a nice journey and another thing I liked on this journey was the driver went round by the car garages near the Metro Radio Arena and the Centre 4 Life which made a nice change to the usual way to reach Central Station. Taking this detour via the MetroCentre got me into Newcastle just over 5 minutes later than the 21 would have.

1107 308 Newcastle - Whitley Bay (ANE 1583)
I would end up getting a StreetLite, oh well! I actually don't mind StreetLite's although I don't love them it has to be said. This was a failry smooth journey although I found going down the Coast Road rather boring especially coming off it every 2 minutes to serve bus stops unlike the last time I came down there on the 58X which doesn't stop until it reaches Newcastle. Eventually got to Whitley Bay and was rather pleased to be there as this is not the most interesting route in my opinion.

1310 309 Whitley Bay - Newcastle (GNE 6114)
After spending just over an hour at the rally I decided to head home, I let the 308 go past as I got the 308 there so I thought I'd get a 309 back with Adrian joining me on this journey. Was a bit bouncy as it went round Whitley Bay Town Centre. The next stop announcements on this service were alright non of this remain seated garbage. Was pretty quick down the Coast Road DaveyBowyer will be pleased to hear, although going along the Coast Road is rather boring especially with coming on/off all the time.

1400 X10 Newcastle - Peterlee (GNE 6044)
Every time! 6046 on this service again, get this every time without fail on the TTX although there is only 6 branded buses so it's bound to happen. This is probably where my headache came from as the wind striking against the bus was defining and the windows suddenly closing gave me a heart attack. Never enjoy the X10 that much as there isn't much scenery on this route. Didn't enjoy this journey much at all and was pleased to be off in Peterlee.

1501 21 Peterlee - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 4813)
Was pleased to get an ex demonstrator on this service as the seats are more comfortable and then I tried to connect to the non existent WiFi. I quite the 21 route but I didn't enjoy this journey much because I developed a headache and I just wanted to be home at this point.

Well that is what I had today, hope you enjoyed reading.

I will be going into hiding this week as I have a few things on so there may not be much in the way of photos or anything bus repeated in the next week or so but I am thinking of heading to the MetroCentre on Tuesday.

tyresmoke

06 Jul 2015, 6:54 pm #3,296
Well I needed to get my haircut today so I actually used my day off productively and went after newly-branded Solo 2843 in Darlington... Caught a 59 from home down to the town (operated by 22061 I think) and crossed the road, went to wait for something towards Norton so I could get my hair cut at my usual barbers on Norton Road. A 37 and 36 turned up together (shock!) so I had the choice of 2 E300s. Can't remember which one I got there, and indeed back, but they were both Zone branded.
As I got back into Stockton around 1310, there was a 59 loading for home but I decided to give it a miss and head for Darlington. The X66 due at 1326 took me by surprise and turned up in Stockton at 1320, some early running involved there me thinks as I don't think it is physically possible to get there from Middlesbrough in 8 mins?! Anyway it was 4649 and both the wifi and next stop announcements worked perfectly!

Spent around an hour wandering around Darlington, photographing all of our repainted Solo's on the town workings, as well as the Dales & District departure at 1315. Also managed to get the repainted pink Solo from Scarlet Band, and a National Express working turned up (operated by GNE) along with the baths bus, Compass Royston B10M LIW4291 which I rarely see (probably explains why!). Photos are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N...5127650418

Caught the 1420 back from Darlington, operated by 4655 which also had the next stop announcements working, although I didn't try the wifi as I was busy eating my lunch! Arrived in Stockton at 1450 and jumped straight onto the 13 (22471) to come home, managing Darlington to home in 50 minutes flat, not bad going by bus.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
06 Jul 2015, 6:54 pm #3,296

Well I needed to get my haircut today so I actually used my day off productively and went after newly-branded Solo 2843 in Darlington... Caught a 59 from home down to the town (operated by 22061 I think) and crossed the road, went to wait for something towards Norton so I could get my hair cut at my usual barbers on Norton Road. A 37 and 36 turned up together (shock!) so I had the choice of 2 E300s. Can't remember which one I got there, and indeed back, but they were both Zone branded.
As I got back into Stockton around 1310, there was a 59 loading for home but I decided to give it a miss and head for Darlington. The X66 due at 1326 took me by surprise and turned up in Stockton at 1320, some early running involved there me thinks as I don't think it is physically possible to get there from Middlesbrough in 8 mins?! Anyway it was 4649 and both the wifi and next stop announcements worked perfectly!

Spent around an hour wandering around Darlington, photographing all of our repainted Solo's on the town workings, as well as the Dales & District departure at 1315. Also managed to get the repainted pink Solo from Scarlet Band, and a National Express working turned up (operated by GNE) along with the baths bus, Compass Royston B10M LIW4291 which I rarely see (probably explains why!). Photos are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N...5127650418

Caught the 1420 back from Darlington, operated by 4655 which also had the next stop announcements working, although I didn't try the wifi as I was busy eating my lunch! Arrived in Stockton at 1450 and jumped straight onto the 13 (22471) to come home, managing Darlington to home in 50 minutes flat, not bad going by bus.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Jimmi

06 Jul 2015, 7:03 pm #3,297
(06 Jul 2015, 6:54 pm)tyresmoke The X66 due at 1326 took me by surprise and turned up in Stockton at 1320, some early running involved there me thinks as I don't think it is physically possible to get there from Middlesbrough in 8 mins?! Anyway it was 4649 and both the wifi and next stop announcements worked perfectly!

The X66 often arrives at Stockton on Darlington bound journeys early although if it got to Stockton in 8 minutes the driver must have his foot buried to the floor on the accelerator if it left Middlesbrough on-time. Often arrives in Middlesbrough a few minutes early too.

Sick of the sight of 4649 at the moment it seems to be stalking me, it was the one I rode on the 8 last week and I think 4649 has now taken the crown from 4644 for my least favourite Omnicity which is always on the X66.
Jimmi
06 Jul 2015, 7:03 pm #3,297

(06 Jul 2015, 6:54 pm)tyresmoke The X66 due at 1326 took me by surprise and turned up in Stockton at 1320, some early running involved there me thinks as I don't think it is physically possible to get there from Middlesbrough in 8 mins?! Anyway it was 4649 and both the wifi and next stop announcements worked perfectly!

The X66 often arrives at Stockton on Darlington bound journeys early although if it got to Stockton in 8 minutes the driver must have his foot buried to the floor on the accelerator if it left Middlesbrough on-time. Often arrives in Middlesbrough a few minutes early too.

Sick of the sight of 4649 at the moment it seems to be stalking me, it was the one I rode on the 8 last week and I think 4649 has now taken the crown from 4644 for my least favourite Omnicity which is always on the X66.

06 Jul 2015, 8:54 pm #3,298
Considering a bus trip on Saturday to go something like this: (I don't normally do plans; this is just my wishlist)
Greenhead - Lemington Road Ends - Metrocentre - Durham via Stanley - Darlington (E400) - Middlesbrough - Durham (X12) - Sunderland via Peterlee - Newcastle (56) - Greenhead.

Obviously filling in the gaps where necessary, although I may change my mind before then Smile

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
06 Jul 2015, 8:54 pm #3,298

Considering a bus trip on Saturday to go something like this: (I don't normally do plans; this is just my wishlist)
Greenhead - Lemington Road Ends - Metrocentre - Durham via Stanley - Darlington (E400) - Middlesbrough - Durham (X12) - Sunderland via Peterlee - Newcastle (56) - Greenhead.

Obviously filling in the gaps where necessary, although I may change my mind before then Smile

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

idiot

07 Jul 2015, 8:59 am #3,299
If anyone is doing SC E services on a Sunday try catch decker on E6. Worth it for Lizzard Lane Smile
idiot
07 Jul 2015, 8:59 am #3,299

If anyone is doing SC E services on a Sunday try catch decker on E6. Worth it for Lizzard Lane Smile

S813 FVK

07 Jul 2015, 4:41 pm #3,300
Since I know you have all been waiting for it, here is my review of a Scania Omnidekka:

I was somewhat glad that 6126 turned up this morning as I had been here reading all of your reviews and all that did was make me want to go on one even more. Couple of issues getting on, my hair literally rubbed on the door line and I sharp discovered that the ceiling was low downstairs when I stepped on the step at the rear of the vehicle and bashed my head. Needless to say, I did not make the same mistake tonight. When I did get to the back, the half shelf really did annoy me and I completely understand where people come from when they say that they have a lack of leg room - infact, I head comments about the lack of legroom myself but I managed to slide in with ease. The 'back' of the seat at the rear was really quite hard but the main cusion and arm rest at the side were both really soft and comfy. The lack of windows[Image: arrow-10x10.png] at the very rear seats also make that area very secluded so if you want to go to sleep, you can easily. The arm rest will make a really good pillow!

Anyway, when the bus accelerated, it really did take off and had a really really smooth ride. It passed the Maiden Law Bank[Image: arrow-10x10.png] test with ease too - feels like the Palatine 1s are back Smile It has brilliant brakes too, some dosey cunt nearly missed his stop by misjudging his timing when coming down the stairs and it stopped only a couple of metres past the stop despite only being told a further five metres before the stop. That is good going - not too sudden but not too soft so it went miles past the stop.

Overall, I think that they are brilliant vehicles. One thing, I did note that 6126 has a NSA screen (similar to the ones on the C&C and Red Kite Streetlites). Could this mean that there is a possibility of services X30/X31/X70/X71 gaining NSAs in the future? It is already connected[Image: arrow-10x10.png] to the depot because it was displaying the 'code' thing with the service number at the end (unless it was a pure coincidence).
S813 FVK
07 Jul 2015, 4:41 pm #3,300

Since I know you have all been waiting for it, here is my review of a Scania Omnidekka:

I was somewhat glad that 6126 turned up this morning as I had been here reading all of your reviews and all that did was make me want to go on one even more. Couple of issues getting on, my hair literally rubbed on the door line and I sharp discovered that the ceiling was low downstairs when I stepped on the step at the rear of the vehicle and bashed my head. Needless to say, I did not make the same mistake tonight. When I did get to the back, the half shelf really did annoy me and I completely understand where people come from when they say that they have a lack of leg room - infact, I head comments about the lack of legroom myself but I managed to slide in with ease. The 'back' of the seat at the rear was really quite hard but the main cusion and arm rest at the side were both really soft and comfy. The lack of windows[Image: arrow-10x10.png] at the very rear seats also make that area very secluded so if you want to go to sleep, you can easily. The arm rest will make a really good pillow!

Anyway, when the bus accelerated, it really did take off and had a really really smooth ride. It passed the Maiden Law Bank[Image: arrow-10x10.png] test with ease too - feels like the Palatine 1s are back Smile It has brilliant brakes too, some dosey cunt nearly missed his stop by misjudging his timing when coming down the stairs and it stopped only a couple of metres past the stop despite only being told a further five metres before the stop. That is good going - not too sudden but not too soft so it went miles past the stop.

Overall, I think that they are brilliant vehicles. One thing, I did note that 6126 has a NSA screen (similar to the ones on the C&C and Red Kite Streetlites). Could this mean that there is a possibility of services X30/X31/X70/X71 gaining NSAs in the future? It is already connected[Image: arrow-10x10.png] to the depot because it was displaying the 'code' thing with the service number at the end (unless it was a pure coincidence).

Pages (239) Previous 1164 165 166239 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average