Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239) Previous 1212 213 214239 Next
BusLoverMum

22 May 2016, 8:35 am #4,241
(22 May 2016, 5:41 am)citaro5284 Canny picture that BLM......must be getting time for a flickr account.

I'm thinking that, too. He got a fair few decent pics, yesterday. Cheapy bomb proof camera (needs to be!) But good composition. 

He's got a good mentor as well, of courseBig Grin
BusLoverMum
22 May 2016, 8:35 am #4,241

(22 May 2016, 5:41 am)citaro5284 Canny picture that BLM......must be getting time for a flickr account.

I'm thinking that, too. He got a fair few decent pics, yesterday. Cheapy bomb proof camera (needs to be!) But good composition. 

He's got a good mentor as well, of courseBig Grin

22 May 2016, 8:40 am #4,242
(21 May 2016, 8:50 pm)R852 PRG Had a good day out today on a North East Explorer ticket.

09:10 X21 6307 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Durham Bus Station
The first vehicle of the day was Streetdeck 6307, on the first X21 of the day Bishop Auckland-bound from Chester-le-Street, the 09:11 from the Red Lion; 08:39 from Newcastle. When heading north on an Explorer, I have made a habit of catching the same board through to Newcastle, the 07:59 from Chester-le-Street Corals. Boarded 6307 and the driver issued me my Explorer, before I headed upstairs, taking a seat at the front on the offside. I have to say that the added extras to the Castles Express Streetdecks, such as the charging sockets, gives me more incentive to use the X21 over the competing X12. The journey through to Durham was smooth and punctual.

09:32 43 7444 Durham Bus Station to Durham Bus Station via Ushaw Moor
As 6307 entered the bus station, I spied two Y-reg Lowlanders in adjacent stands to one another. I identified one as 7444, still in it's original livery, with the old Arriva logos on the sides, while the second was 7440. The former was on the 43 to Esh Winning, and the latter was due to be the operate 46 to Crook. Given that I'd already had 7440 for haulage, I decided to go with 7444. My original intention had been to travel only as far as Ushaw Moor, then catch a 43 or 48 back, but I ended up enjoying the ride so much that I stayed on for a circular around Esh Winning, then the return trip to Durham. I think 7444 is now my favourite of the remaining Lowlanders, it has an excellent Voith gearbox and retarder, and it rattles like a box of nails. 

10:33 64 2838 Durham North Road to Arnison Centre
Upon returning to Durham, I had a walk out onto North Road, spotting one of the Optare Solos that make up the allocation at Belmont depot on the 64 to the Arnison Centre. As I've had limited experience of the Belmont Solos, I decided to go with it, and then catch something onwards from there. I boarded and took a seat at the back on the offside, next to the emergency exit door. The service left North Road with a fair loading of about fifteen passengers, with a number boarding and alighting on the journey to the Arnison Centre. The Allison transmission (something I rarely experience) was interesting to listen to, accompanied by the usual squeaks of a Solo's brakes. 

11:02 50 5256 Arnison Centre to Chester-le-Street Corals
Following an alright journey on 2838, I decided to head back to Chester-le-Street and then catch a 36 across to Houghton-le-Spring so that I could meet with Adrian. When I checked the times, I was happy to see that I had connected nicely with a 50 that was due within ten minutes. After crossing the car park at Sainsbury's, I had a wait time of around five minutes before the South Shields-bound 50 came into view. It was in the hands of 5256, which was running on-time. I hadn't travelled on 5256 since it left Chester-le-Street depot for Washington last month.

11:44 36 4945 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Houghton-le-Spring Church
I floated around the bottom of the Front Street for around twenty minutes, observing the usual late Saturday morning goings-on, before I sighted Scania L94UB 4945, with the next 36 to Town End Farm. Still looking resplendent in it's recently applied repaint, it turned around at the market place and proceeded to pick up at the usual stand, where I boarded. The journey to Houghton-le-Spring was largely uneventful, just the average Solar journey. I'll probably miss them when they're gone, but right now, there are more rateable things to be on. Adrian was perched around the corner from the church, so I alighted and walked around to meet with him.

12:23 20A 5420 Houghton-le-Spring Church to Durham Bus Station
We got a few photos before the heavens opened, and we decided to catch the next Prince Bishops to Durham. The plan had been to jump on and off where the 20/20A meet on the route, but due to the weather conditions, we decided not to bother and just stay on the bus until Durham. 5420 was operating this run, my third one of the new Streetlites to clear for haulage. We sat towards the rear, one row of seats from the back, as is common procedure for me on Streetlites. The charging sockets and WiFi worked fine, as expected with the new vehicles, but two guys got on at Gilesgate that absolutely stank of urine, so that ruined the journey somewhat. Was pleased to be off.

13:15 16A 4903 Durham Bus Station to Stanley Bus Station
Omnicity 5247 was broken down in the top layover bay at Durham, so I went to get a photo. Not long afterwards, B10BLE 4903 came in with the 16A to Stanley. As it's listed for withdrawal, and on temporary loan to Stanley (where it is likely to live out it's remaining days), I didn't even give Adrian a choice in the matter, and more-or-less dragged him across to board it. We sat at the back for this journey and enjoyed listening to this fine machine as it climbed the hills into Sacriston; the 16/16A have some nice sections to the route, similar to the 43 to Esh Winning that I sampled in the morning, but then have some bad sections. We alighted at Stanley, where the 16A terminates.

14:13 X31 5253 Stanley Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Square
Our next move was one of the express services to Newcastle. We'd been intending to catch the 14:00 X31 from Stanley, and it eventually showed up, 13 minutes late. After overhearing the drivers talking while they changed over, the driver who was being relieved claimed to have arrived into Newcastle 38 minutes late, so fair play to him for getting to Stanley with such a quick recovery. We sat next to the emergency exit on 5253, which was operating this run, and the driver floored it to Newcastle, arriving into Eldon Square just before 15:00.

15:01 46 2806 Newcastle Haymarket to Regent Centre Interchange
In order to get some more value for money for my Explorer, I encouraged Adrian that heading to Haymarket for something Arriva-operated was best. We boarded Solo 2806 on the 46 to Featherstone Grove, departing on-time and having a short and quick run up to Regent Centre. We spent quite a while getting photos here, observing many Arriva ALX400s on the local Jesmond services, before I decided that we would head up to the Airport on the Metro so that it was included in the day's log.

15:40 T&W Metro 4008+4053 Regent Centre to Airport
We had a 10 minute wait on the platform, but 4008 and 4053 eventually arrived with the service to the Airport. Sat at some of the sideways-facing seats in 4008 for the journey up to the Airport. I quite like this section of the South Hylton-Airport line, it's largely quiet from my experience of it, when compared to the likes of Heworth-Haymarket.

16:05 T&W Metro 4053+4008 Airport to Kingston Park
Just decided to get the same units south, as I'd decided to aim for the 17:09 X21 out of Newcastle home. Adrian managed to get the front seats before me (and proceeded to wind me up about it), with 4053 (now leading the train) carrying only ourselves and a couple of others who had boarded at Callerton Parkway. At Kingston Park, Adrian suggested that we bailed for a few photos and then caught a Stagecoach X47 back to Newcastle, so some Stagecoach had been covered.

16:36 X47 22411 Kingston Park to Newcastle New Bridge Street
We spent about fifteen minutes getting photos of Metros and ALX300s here, including the surprise of a Gateshead Central Taxis 16-plate Wright Streetlite WF on the Tesco Free Bus. Due to the delays in the city centre with the rugby thingy being on, we were waiting quite a while at the bus stop, but 22411 soon appeared, followed closely behind by 22410. We went with the former, I think I've had all of the X47-branded ALX300s for haulage by now so I'm not bothered by any of them. The ALX300s themselves are fine machines if maintained well, but they're Germans so naturally they're heavy drinkers.

17:03 X21 6301 Newcastle Eldon Square to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace
Arrived back into Newcastle at 16:55, and walked from New Bridge Street back into Eldon Square. I parted ways with Adrian at the neck of the bus station; he headed up to the stand for the X1 back to Washington while I headed down for the X21. 6301 was operating this run, with my favourite Crook driver at the wheel. He's always pleasant with me when he sees me, and I seem to get him on the X21 quite a lot. Sat downstairs on the nearside at the back (I wish they had a charging socket on the offside, where I prefer to sit, but that would interfere with the emergency exit door).

Thanks for reading, I hope to see some of you tomorrow at the open day.
Quite a long day, good review
NK53 TKT
22 May 2016, 8:40 am #4,242

(21 May 2016, 8:50 pm)R852 PRG Had a good day out today on a North East Explorer ticket.

09:10 X21 6307 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Durham Bus Station
The first vehicle of the day was Streetdeck 6307, on the first X21 of the day Bishop Auckland-bound from Chester-le-Street, the 09:11 from the Red Lion; 08:39 from Newcastle. When heading north on an Explorer, I have made a habit of catching the same board through to Newcastle, the 07:59 from Chester-le-Street Corals. Boarded 6307 and the driver issued me my Explorer, before I headed upstairs, taking a seat at the front on the offside. I have to say that the added extras to the Castles Express Streetdecks, such as the charging sockets, gives me more incentive to use the X21 over the competing X12. The journey through to Durham was smooth and punctual.

09:32 43 7444 Durham Bus Station to Durham Bus Station via Ushaw Moor
As 6307 entered the bus station, I spied two Y-reg Lowlanders in adjacent stands to one another. I identified one as 7444, still in it's original livery, with the old Arriva logos on the sides, while the second was 7440. The former was on the 43 to Esh Winning, and the latter was due to be the operate 46 to Crook. Given that I'd already had 7440 for haulage, I decided to go with 7444. My original intention had been to travel only as far as Ushaw Moor, then catch a 43 or 48 back, but I ended up enjoying the ride so much that I stayed on for a circular around Esh Winning, then the return trip to Durham. I think 7444 is now my favourite of the remaining Lowlanders, it has an excellent Voith gearbox and retarder, and it rattles like a box of nails. 

10:33 64 2838 Durham North Road to Arnison Centre
Upon returning to Durham, I had a walk out onto North Road, spotting one of the Optare Solos that make up the allocation at Belmont depot on the 64 to the Arnison Centre. As I've had limited experience of the Belmont Solos, I decided to go with it, and then catch something onwards from there. I boarded and took a seat at the back on the offside, next to the emergency exit door. The service left North Road with a fair loading of about fifteen passengers, with a number boarding and alighting on the journey to the Arnison Centre. The Allison transmission (something I rarely experience) was interesting to listen to, accompanied by the usual squeaks of a Solo's brakes. 

11:02 50 5256 Arnison Centre to Chester-le-Street Corals
Following an alright journey on 2838, I decided to head back to Chester-le-Street and then catch a 36 across to Houghton-le-Spring so that I could meet with Adrian. When I checked the times, I was happy to see that I had connected nicely with a 50 that was due within ten minutes. After crossing the car park at Sainsbury's, I had a wait time of around five minutes before the South Shields-bound 50 came into view. It was in the hands of 5256, which was running on-time. I hadn't travelled on 5256 since it left Chester-le-Street depot for Washington last month.

11:44 36 4945 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Houghton-le-Spring Church
I floated around the bottom of the Front Street for around twenty minutes, observing the usual late Saturday morning goings-on, before I sighted Scania L94UB 4945, with the next 36 to Town End Farm. Still looking resplendent in it's recently applied repaint, it turned around at the market place and proceeded to pick up at the usual stand, where I boarded. The journey to Houghton-le-Spring was largely uneventful, just the average Solar journey. I'll probably miss them when they're gone, but right now, there are more rateable things to be on. Adrian was perched around the corner from the church, so I alighted and walked around to meet with him.

12:23 20A 5420 Houghton-le-Spring Church to Durham Bus Station
We got a few photos before the heavens opened, and we decided to catch the next Prince Bishops to Durham. The plan had been to jump on and off where the 20/20A meet on the route, but due to the weather conditions, we decided not to bother and just stay on the bus until Durham. 5420 was operating this run, my third one of the new Streetlites to clear for haulage. We sat towards the rear, one row of seats from the back, as is common procedure for me on Streetlites. The charging sockets and WiFi worked fine, as expected with the new vehicles, but two guys got on at Gilesgate that absolutely stank of urine, so that ruined the journey somewhat. Was pleased to be off.

13:15 16A 4903 Durham Bus Station to Stanley Bus Station
Omnicity 5247 was broken down in the top layover bay at Durham, so I went to get a photo. Not long afterwards, B10BLE 4903 came in with the 16A to Stanley. As it's listed for withdrawal, and on temporary loan to Stanley (where it is likely to live out it's remaining days), I didn't even give Adrian a choice in the matter, and more-or-less dragged him across to board it. We sat at the back for this journey and enjoyed listening to this fine machine as it climbed the hills into Sacriston; the 16/16A have some nice sections to the route, similar to the 43 to Esh Winning that I sampled in the morning, but then have some bad sections. We alighted at Stanley, where the 16A terminates.

14:13 X31 5253 Stanley Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Square
Our next move was one of the express services to Newcastle. We'd been intending to catch the 14:00 X31 from Stanley, and it eventually showed up, 13 minutes late. After overhearing the drivers talking while they changed over, the driver who was being relieved claimed to have arrived into Newcastle 38 minutes late, so fair play to him for getting to Stanley with such a quick recovery. We sat next to the emergency exit on 5253, which was operating this run, and the driver floored it to Newcastle, arriving into Eldon Square just before 15:00.

15:01 46 2806 Newcastle Haymarket to Regent Centre Interchange
In order to get some more value for money for my Explorer, I encouraged Adrian that heading to Haymarket for something Arriva-operated was best. We boarded Solo 2806 on the 46 to Featherstone Grove, departing on-time and having a short and quick run up to Regent Centre. We spent quite a while getting photos here, observing many Arriva ALX400s on the local Jesmond services, before I decided that we would head up to the Airport on the Metro so that it was included in the day's log.

15:40 T&W Metro 4008+4053 Regent Centre to Airport
We had a 10 minute wait on the platform, but 4008 and 4053 eventually arrived with the service to the Airport. Sat at some of the sideways-facing seats in 4008 for the journey up to the Airport. I quite like this section of the South Hylton-Airport line, it's largely quiet from my experience of it, when compared to the likes of Heworth-Haymarket.

16:05 T&W Metro 4053+4008 Airport to Kingston Park
Just decided to get the same units south, as I'd decided to aim for the 17:09 X21 out of Newcastle home. Adrian managed to get the front seats before me (and proceeded to wind me up about it), with 4053 (now leading the train) carrying only ourselves and a couple of others who had boarded at Callerton Parkway. At Kingston Park, Adrian suggested that we bailed for a few photos and then caught a Stagecoach X47 back to Newcastle, so some Stagecoach had been covered.

16:36 X47 22411 Kingston Park to Newcastle New Bridge Street
We spent about fifteen minutes getting photos of Metros and ALX300s here, including the surprise of a Gateshead Central Taxis 16-plate Wright Streetlite WF on the Tesco Free Bus. Due to the delays in the city centre with the rugby thingy being on, we were waiting quite a while at the bus stop, but 22411 soon appeared, followed closely behind by 22410. We went with the former, I think I've had all of the X47-branded ALX300s for haulage by now so I'm not bothered by any of them. The ALX300s themselves are fine machines if maintained well, but they're Germans so naturally they're heavy drinkers.

17:03 X21 6301 Newcastle Eldon Square to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace
Arrived back into Newcastle at 16:55, and walked from New Bridge Street back into Eldon Square. I parted ways with Adrian at the neck of the bus station; he headed up to the stand for the X1 back to Washington while I headed down for the X21. 6301 was operating this run, with my favourite Crook driver at the wheel. He's always pleasant with me when he sees me, and I seem to get him on the X21 quite a lot. Sat downstairs on the nearside at the back (I wish they had a charging socket on the offside, where I prefer to sit, but that would interfere with the emergency exit door).

Thanks for reading, I hope to see some of you tomorrow at the open day.
Quite a long day, good review

Jimmi

22 May 2016, 9:58 am #4,243
(20 May 2016, 8:38 pm)TEN 6083 14:52 Durham Railway Station - Central Station (Cross Country 221???)

Was going to wait for a Virgin East Coast but it would be a 35 min wait so grudgingly got on one of the Cross Country Voyagers which I personally have a severe distaste for and are my least favourite trains. As usual no empty seats resulting in standing by the toilet in the corridor (Coach F) Which isn't the best place to stand. One thing I notice every time I get these there's an awful smell upon boarding, like hot metal or something like that. Also the door into the coach closed as I was halfway through after boarding.

I hate Voyagers, had to spend over 3 hours on them yesterday, seats are crap, I don't like the screen things that tell you the seat reservation's, especially as it seems some people who don't have reserved seats will just plonk themselves wherever they please, the interior feels too plasticity and the doors do indeed close on you, got halfway through a door one day when departing and the person in front of me kept letting everyone in the other carriage off before us so I was getting myself trapped with the passenger behind having to press the button to free me, oh and when I got off last night, the area where the doors are smelt a bit like my armpits after a tough session at the gym (no it wasn't me, I checked). As ever with trains the toilets are horrible but for different reasons on these, it was making strange awful noises when I went in last night I thought I was about to be beamed into outer space and I hate all the buttons which unfortunately as I got used to the toilets locking automatically on VTEC I made the mistake of not locking the door the other week so I sort of ended up recreating that Irn Bru advert although it was more recoiling in embarrassment rather than saying "ladies"

Sadly I had no real choice to avoid them yesterday, so I had to bare it. When possible I always try and aim to get VTEC when possible or sometimes TransPennine Express although my problem there is they often seem rammed on them 185's. Wish I knew which CrossCountry journeys tend to use HST's, annoyingly it always seems to be ones heading in the opposite direction to me just to rub it in.
Jimmi
22 May 2016, 9:58 am #4,243

(20 May 2016, 8:38 pm)TEN 6083 14:52 Durham Railway Station - Central Station (Cross Country 221???)

Was going to wait for a Virgin East Coast but it would be a 35 min wait so grudgingly got on one of the Cross Country Voyagers which I personally have a severe distaste for and are my least favourite trains. As usual no empty seats resulting in standing by the toilet in the corridor (Coach F) Which isn't the best place to stand. One thing I notice every time I get these there's an awful smell upon boarding, like hot metal or something like that. Also the door into the coach closed as I was halfway through after boarding.

I hate Voyagers, had to spend over 3 hours on them yesterday, seats are crap, I don't like the screen things that tell you the seat reservation's, especially as it seems some people who don't have reserved seats will just plonk themselves wherever they please, the interior feels too plasticity and the doors do indeed close on you, got halfway through a door one day when departing and the person in front of me kept letting everyone in the other carriage off before us so I was getting myself trapped with the passenger behind having to press the button to free me, oh and when I got off last night, the area where the doors are smelt a bit like my armpits after a tough session at the gym (no it wasn't me, I checked). As ever with trains the toilets are horrible but for different reasons on these, it was making strange awful noises when I went in last night I thought I was about to be beamed into outer space and I hate all the buttons which unfortunately as I got used to the toilets locking automatically on VTEC I made the mistake of not locking the door the other week so I sort of ended up recreating that Irn Bru advert although it was more recoiling in embarrassment rather than saying "ladies"

Sadly I had no real choice to avoid them yesterday, so I had to bare it. When possible I always try and aim to get VTEC when possible or sometimes TransPennine Express although my problem there is they often seem rammed on them 185's. Wish I knew which CrossCountry journeys tend to use HST's, annoyingly it always seems to be ones heading in the opposite direction to me just to rub it in.

citaro5284

22 May 2016, 10:55 am #4,244
You see, I don't mind the Voyagers. I use them if I need to go to Birmingham, and its a nice change from Class 43's and 91's that I use more often. However, I do think XC First Class menu is rather poor compared to Virgins Trains (East and West Coast).
citaro5284
22 May 2016, 10:55 am #4,244

You see, I don't mind the Voyagers. I use them if I need to go to Birmingham, and its a nice change from Class 43's and 91's that I use more often. However, I do think XC First Class menu is rather poor compared to Virgins Trains (East and West Coast).

Jimmi

22 May 2016, 11:22 am #4,245
(22 May 2016, 10:55 am)citaro5284 You see, I don't mind the Voyagers. I use them if I need to go to Birmingham, and its a nice change from Class 43's and 91's that I use more often. However, I do think XC First Class menu is rather poor compared to Virgins Trains (East and West Coast).
Just out of intrest, are you travelling in First or Standard Class when you are on a Voyager? Can imagine it may be more favourable in First than standard.

I don't tend to go First Class purely for cost, although I was tempted to the other Saturday on a journey between Darlington and Doncaster as First was something like only one pound odd more than standard, but I'm tight!

Apart from a trip to Liverpool in June and a Northallerton - Darlington journey at some point in the next few weeks I haven't got any plans to make any rail journeys at the moment. Would quite like to sample a Grand Central 180, a Class 158 and a few other Classes Northern have (the novelty of 142's has worn off now!) few other things I may do at some point if I get chance.
Jimmi
22 May 2016, 11:22 am #4,245

(22 May 2016, 10:55 am)citaro5284 You see, I don't mind the Voyagers. I use them if I need to go to Birmingham, and its a nice change from Class 43's and 91's that I use more often. However, I do think XC First Class menu is rather poor compared to Virgins Trains (East and West Coast).
Just out of intrest, are you travelling in First or Standard Class when you are on a Voyager? Can imagine it may be more favourable in First than standard.

I don't tend to go First Class purely for cost, although I was tempted to the other Saturday on a journey between Darlington and Doncaster as First was something like only one pound odd more than standard, but I'm tight!

Apart from a trip to Liverpool in June and a Northallerton - Darlington journey at some point in the next few weeks I haven't got any plans to make any rail journeys at the moment. Would quite like to sample a Grand Central 180, a Class 158 and a few other Classes Northern have (the novelty of 142's has worn off now!) few other things I may do at some point if I get chance.

citaro5284

22 May 2016, 11:31 am #4,246
(22 May 2016, 11:22 am)Jimmi Just out of intrest, are you travelling in First or Standard Class when you are on a Voyager? Can imagine it may be more favourable in First than standard.

Normally the fares to Birmingham are rather expensive at the best of times, so it is Standard.  I have hit on lucky once or twice and the price difference was about a couple of quid, so went first instead.
citaro5284
22 May 2016, 11:31 am #4,246

(22 May 2016, 11:22 am)Jimmi Just out of intrest, are you travelling in First or Standard Class when you are on a Voyager? Can imagine it may be more favourable in First than standard.

Normally the fares to Birmingham are rather expensive at the best of times, so it is Standard.  I have hit on lucky once or twice and the price difference was about a couple of quid, so went first instead.

22 May 2016, 12:03 pm #4,247
Yesterday i got a nice outing
09 :15 4 36091 wheatsheaf sunderland depot to john street
09 : 30 northern 156448 sunderland to heworth
09 :47 82 8271 heworth to heworth golfclub
09 : 57 q2 8337 heworth golfclub to heworth transport interchange
10 : 05 yellow line 4067 heworth to Gateshead
10 : 15 96 4944 Gateshead interchange to Eldon Square bus station
10 : 30 X11 7605 Haymarket to Gosforth sainsburys
10 : 45 ish x20 7415 Gosforth shops to regent centre
10 : 50 x11 7411 regent centre to haymarket
11 : 05 6 3885 Eldon squre to central station
11 :30 northern 156448 newcastle to seaham
12 :19 northern 156484 seaham to sunderland
12 :40 4 360?? Sunderland to East herrington
12 : 55 x35 5209 east herrington to sunderland
13 : 03 x36 5212 sunderland to wheatsheaf depot
13 : 48 x36 4973 wheatsheaf to john street
14 :00 ish 39 8258 city centre to ryhope village
14 : 25 39 4907 ryhope village to sunderland
14 : 36 x36 5217 sunderland fawcett street to downhill circle to sunderland interchange
15 : 38 35 5327 sunderland interchange to boldon cinema
16 :25 x36 5212 boldon cinema to downhill
16 : 43 99 565 downhill to royal hospital
17 :07 18 36086 royal hospital to fullwell grange.
A fairley good day i began on 36091 this bus was quite nice one of the better examples,i was only on for a stop so was alright.
I hoped a sprinter as the majority of pacers arent my favourites after 10 minutes of waiting 156448 shows up with my ride to heworth.
On board it was a canny journey i observed 156484 pass as it was my favourite sprinter i thought to get a ride upon it later in the day.
At heworth i hoped to find a renown but what caught my eye was 8271 on the 82 i went round and boarded this.
I planned to go to washington on this but when onboard loads of vibration noises started happening so i alighted near to the golf club.
My next ride was 8337 the next stop announcements were turned down which was a downer.
At heworth i went straight for the metro with just a 2 minute wait 4067 comes in,this was a short hop i very much enjoyed it though.
As i missed 4898 by seconds on the loop i noticed the 96 was due for Newcastle i walked round and hoped a renown or something that was good haulage to my disappointment 4944 showed up another solar as i had 4933 not that long ago on the 96.
The journey was decent passed a few buses one of which was a castle express.
I observed eldon Square seeing only 6130 that was decent on the 6 but i decided other wise and headed to haymarket i noted 7474 but i had 7480 a few weeks ago so left it , i noted 7605 come in with a x11 so joined the que once onboard the journey skyrocketed a fair few kickdowns also.
I alighted at Gosforth to head to sainsburys i got some bottles of smart water and a 25 p freddo.
I just left the shop when y182cfs passed me i was realy upset from this and there was no buses coming so crossed over and got 7415 to the regent centre.
As i went to get the metro to sunderland my bad luck got even worse when by seconds i missed 4001 and 40 so walked back to get a bus.
7411 came for this journey i was glad to clear this for haulage i noted the hand rails were different to 7415s we got plenty of kickdowns after Gosforth.
I entered Eldon squre and seen 4923 boarding for service 11 i quickly raced round but it unfortunately departed.
Afrer a 5 minute wait 3885 came in with service 6 i just took my chances and boarded this.
Fine revs from this fine machine i alighted at central station to get the 11 :30 Nunthorpe train ,on the station i noted 156481 boarding for carlisle i was tempted to get this to metrocentre but it would mean i couldnt get 156484.
156448 came in soon after just a nice journey i noted the nexus man on this aswell , i purchased a ticket to travel up to seaham , we arrived in just after 11.
I observed two darts on service 238 near to the station, soon after this 156484 came in quite a few people on this the engine revv was extremely cool.
I went to get a 4 for east herrington another enviro 200 turned up for this run.
I awaited the 20 but 5209 comes first with service x35 a full thrash from this marvellous machine.
Next up was 5212 a short journey to the wheatsheaf i was going to get 6034 on the 9 but i decided otherwise.
I observed sunderland depot and also a pop in tesco soon after this i got another x36 back to Sunderland with 4973 a nice little journey with its voith engine
I went to get service 39 and to my disappointment 8258 was on this journey, water leaked through the ventalation of this bus.
I was pleased my journey back was operated by 4907 this proved ok i personaly think its ok for short ride but not the best renown ive traveled on.
I took a trip on 5217 on the short x36 it was an ok ride but i can see why this short version is withdrawn now.
5327 was next up for haulage it proved a nice ride the mercadies engine is quite something.
I got 5212 a second time this was decent to ride on for several minutes, 565 was my next journey im quite saddend that the 99 will be withdrawn by Go north east but if its not making money...
My last ride of the day was another enviro 200 in the form of 36086 just boring and dull though.
Thanks for reading

Best bus ever
biglugs@yahoo.com
22 May 2016, 12:03 pm #4,247

Yesterday i got a nice outing
09 :15 4 36091 wheatsheaf sunderland depot to john street
09 : 30 northern 156448 sunderland to heworth
09 :47 82 8271 heworth to heworth golfclub
09 : 57 q2 8337 heworth golfclub to heworth transport interchange
10 : 05 yellow line 4067 heworth to Gateshead
10 : 15 96 4944 Gateshead interchange to Eldon Square bus station
10 : 30 X11 7605 Haymarket to Gosforth sainsburys
10 : 45 ish x20 7415 Gosforth shops to regent centre
10 : 50 x11 7411 regent centre to haymarket
11 : 05 6 3885 Eldon squre to central station
11 :30 northern 156448 newcastle to seaham
12 :19 northern 156484 seaham to sunderland
12 :40 4 360?? Sunderland to East herrington
12 : 55 x35 5209 east herrington to sunderland
13 : 03 x36 5212 sunderland to wheatsheaf depot
13 : 48 x36 4973 wheatsheaf to john street
14 :00 ish 39 8258 city centre to ryhope village
14 : 25 39 4907 ryhope village to sunderland
14 : 36 x36 5217 sunderland fawcett street to downhill circle to sunderland interchange
15 : 38 35 5327 sunderland interchange to boldon cinema
16 :25 x36 5212 boldon cinema to downhill
16 : 43 99 565 downhill to royal hospital
17 :07 18 36086 royal hospital to fullwell grange.
A fairley good day i began on 36091 this bus was quite nice one of the better examples,i was only on for a stop so was alright.
I hoped a sprinter as the majority of pacers arent my favourites after 10 minutes of waiting 156448 shows up with my ride to heworth.
On board it was a canny journey i observed 156484 pass as it was my favourite sprinter i thought to get a ride upon it later in the day.
At heworth i hoped to find a renown but what caught my eye was 8271 on the 82 i went round and boarded this.
I planned to go to washington on this but when onboard loads of vibration noises started happening so i alighted near to the golf club.
My next ride was 8337 the next stop announcements were turned down which was a downer.
At heworth i went straight for the metro with just a 2 minute wait 4067 comes in,this was a short hop i very much enjoyed it though.
As i missed 4898 by seconds on the loop i noticed the 96 was due for Newcastle i walked round and hoped a renown or something that was good haulage to my disappointment 4944 showed up another solar as i had 4933 not that long ago on the 96.
The journey was decent passed a few buses one of which was a castle express.
I observed eldon Square seeing only 6130 that was decent on the 6 but i decided other wise and headed to haymarket i noted 7474 but i had 7480 a few weeks ago so left it , i noted 7605 come in with a x11 so joined the que once onboard the journey skyrocketed a fair few kickdowns also.
I alighted at Gosforth to head to sainsburys i got some bottles of smart water and a 25 p freddo.
I just left the shop when y182cfs passed me i was realy upset from this and there was no buses coming so crossed over and got 7415 to the regent centre.
As i went to get the metro to sunderland my bad luck got even worse when by seconds i missed 4001 and 40 so walked back to get a bus.
7411 came for this journey i was glad to clear this for haulage i noted the hand rails were different to 7415s we got plenty of kickdowns after Gosforth.
I entered Eldon squre and seen 4923 boarding for service 11 i quickly raced round but it unfortunately departed.
Afrer a 5 minute wait 3885 came in with service 6 i just took my chances and boarded this.
Fine revs from this fine machine i alighted at central station to get the 11 :30 Nunthorpe train ,on the station i noted 156481 boarding for carlisle i was tempted to get this to metrocentre but it would mean i couldnt get 156484.
156448 came in soon after just a nice journey i noted the nexus man on this aswell , i purchased a ticket to travel up to seaham , we arrived in just after 11.
I observed two darts on service 238 near to the station, soon after this 156484 came in quite a few people on this the engine revv was extremely cool.
I went to get a 4 for east herrington another enviro 200 turned up for this run.
I awaited the 20 but 5209 comes first with service x35 a full thrash from this marvellous machine.
Next up was 5212 a short journey to the wheatsheaf i was going to get 6034 on the 9 but i decided otherwise.
I observed sunderland depot and also a pop in tesco soon after this i got another x36 back to Sunderland with 4973 a nice little journey with its voith engine
I went to get service 39 and to my disappointment 8258 was on this journey, water leaked through the ventalation of this bus.
I was pleased my journey back was operated by 4907 this proved ok i personaly think its ok for short ride but not the best renown ive traveled on.
I took a trip on 5217 on the short x36 it was an ok ride but i can see why this short version is withdrawn now.
5327 was next up for haulage it proved a nice ride the mercadies engine is quite something.
I got 5212 a second time this was decent to ride on for several minutes, 565 was my next journey im quite saddend that the 99 will be withdrawn by Go north east but if its not making money...
My last ride of the day was another enviro 200 in the form of 36086 just boring and dull though.
Thanks for reading

Best bus ever

22 May 2016, 12:23 pm #4,248
(22 May 2016, 12:03 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com I observed sunderland depot and also a pop in tesco soon after this i got another x36 back to Sunderland with 4973 a nice little journey with its voith engine

Voith don't make engines, they make transmission systems.

4973 has a Scania DS9? engine.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
22 May 2016, 12:23 pm #4,248

(22 May 2016, 12:03 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com I observed sunderland depot and also a pop in tesco soon after this i got another x36 back to Sunderland with 4973 a nice little journey with its voith engine

Voith don't make engines, they make transmission systems.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

22 May 2016, 4:19 pm #4,249
(22 May 2016, 12:23 pm)GMitchelhill Voith don't make engines, they make transmission systems.

Scania 9.4L DC9, Coupled to a ZF 4HP Gearbox.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
22 May 2016, 4:19 pm #4,249

(22 May 2016, 12:23 pm)GMitchelhill Voith don't make engines, they make transmission systems.

Scania 9.4L DC9, Coupled to a ZF 4HP Gearbox.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

22 May 2016, 4:49 pm #4,250
The family open day held at Go North East's Riverside depot today was a mixed bag for me. I travelled to the event with the Northern National Restoration Group's 4855 (R855 PRG), a Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown, as most will know, being picked up at bang-on 09:00 from my local stop. 

We met with Jonothan Ruddick's Leyland National Mk2 4708 at the Team Valley and travelled to Riverside in convoy with it, but things went wrong when we tried to enter Riverside with 4708. The depot manager was of the understanding that only one preserved bus was expected to be in attendence, and seemed dismayed at two turning up. Craig had been asked to bring two NNRG buses, and 4855 and 4708 were selected. As 4855 suddenly suffered an oil leak while it was waiting to go in, it was refused admission, and 4708 was asked to go to the coach park, which 4855 followed in afterwards. Nobody was particularly happy about being delegated to the coach park...

As we were at the coach park for about 10:15, and the event didn't start until 11:00, we had to twiddle our thumbs to pass the time. I engaged in conversation with Billy Cook, a Riverside driver who mainly works on the X66 rota, once nominated for the UK Top National Bus Driver Award in 2009. He had brought 5404 to the coach park, which was alongside 6085 and three Streetdecks. Just before 11:00, he took the Streetlite out on a shuttle to Riverside, so I boarded and sat in my usual spot on a Streetlite. Upon arrival at the depot, I joined the end of the queue to enter, and not long afterwards, I was in the depot. 

I walked across to see Ben Stoves, a driver friend from Chester-le-Street depot, who was driving Volvo B9TL 6047 on the bus wash rides. I sat behind the stairs for this ride; 6047 was required for haulage and I'd not been through a bus wash before, so I was happy enough to try it out. I quite enjoyed it, and after about fifteen minutes, during which time I chatted with John Westmoreland and northern156, and Westy was asked to take another vehicle on the bus wash rides. He took 6046, meaning two Tyne Tees Express B9s were operating it, and we did a trip with him. Another one cleared for haulage.

Following this, we did a tour of the main building. I quite liked the Service Delivery Centre, and at the end, I got to see Cath Bell (now Assistant Depot Manager at Stanley), who used to drive my scholars a few years ago when she was based at Chester-le-Street, then moving to Deptford, and now at Stanley. After this, we exited the main building (after northern156 was left disappointed at hearing the news he couldn't be a driver for just one day per week, with the minumum being two) and noticed that Ben was now driving 3942 on the bus wash shuttles, which had now died down in demand, as John Westmoreland had seemingly stopped doing them alongside him. We had another trip (my third of the day), being the quietest that I'd been on.

After this, northern156 and I caught 6133 (which was the other vehicle operating alongside 5404 on the shuttles) back to the coach park, where I sat on 4855 for a while, and northern156 and MurdnunoC queued for a test drive experience. It was the former who was wanting to drive a bus, and he ended up with 3973, so I joined them as a passenger. I have to say, he did very well, although based on what others said, 3973 was arguably the nicest Vyking there. He then had a trip back to Riverside with MurdnunoC, while I conversed with Craig on 4855. About an hour or so passed, before I saw Sean again, looking to drive another Vyking as the queue length had died down. He had 3966, which he handled well again. You can imagine the surprise I got when the instructor offered me the chance to drive it myself, which I happily took up. I was initially confused, as I don't hold a licence nor am I old enough to, but he insisted that it was perfectly alright, as the training circuit was on private land at the coach park. After being acquainted with the cab features and how to make the vehicle turn a wheel, I set off. My first circuit was interesting, as I kept slamming my foot down on the air brakes, nearly killing both him and northern156 when I panicked on a corner. But, when I then went around for a second time, I did much better. I really did enjoy driving 3966, and it must have been the highlight of my day. 

The return journey was made in 4855, making a pitstop at Chester-le-Street depot so that Ian could start his shift. I was dropped back off at my local stop at 15:45, and I walked home for 16:00. In spite of the initial hiccup and then being delegated to the coach park for the rest of the day, the event itself was enjoyable, and I had the chance to drive my first bus. A good day overall, thanks for reading.
R852 PRG
22 May 2016, 4:49 pm #4,250

The family open day held at Go North East's Riverside depot today was a mixed bag for me. I travelled to the event with the Northern National Restoration Group's 4855 (R855 PRG), a Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown, as most will know, being picked up at bang-on 09:00 from my local stop. 

We met with Jonothan Ruddick's Leyland National Mk2 4708 at the Team Valley and travelled to Riverside in convoy with it, but things went wrong when we tried to enter Riverside with 4708. The depot manager was of the understanding that only one preserved bus was expected to be in attendence, and seemed dismayed at two turning up. Craig had been asked to bring two NNRG buses, and 4855 and 4708 were selected. As 4855 suddenly suffered an oil leak while it was waiting to go in, it was refused admission, and 4708 was asked to go to the coach park, which 4855 followed in afterwards. Nobody was particularly happy about being delegated to the coach park...

As we were at the coach park for about 10:15, and the event didn't start until 11:00, we had to twiddle our thumbs to pass the time. I engaged in conversation with Billy Cook, a Riverside driver who mainly works on the X66 rota, once nominated for the UK Top National Bus Driver Award in 2009. He had brought 5404 to the coach park, which was alongside 6085 and three Streetdecks. Just before 11:00, he took the Streetlite out on a shuttle to Riverside, so I boarded and sat in my usual spot on a Streetlite. Upon arrival at the depot, I joined the end of the queue to enter, and not long afterwards, I was in the depot. 

I walked across to see Ben Stoves, a driver friend from Chester-le-Street depot, who was driving Volvo B9TL 6047 on the bus wash rides. I sat behind the stairs for this ride; 6047 was required for haulage and I'd not been through a bus wash before, so I was happy enough to try it out. I quite enjoyed it, and after about fifteen minutes, during which time I chatted with John Westmoreland and northern156, and Westy was asked to take another vehicle on the bus wash rides. He took 6046, meaning two Tyne Tees Express B9s were operating it, and we did a trip with him. Another one cleared for haulage.

Following this, we did a tour of the main building. I quite liked the Service Delivery Centre, and at the end, I got to see Cath Bell (now Assistant Depot Manager at Stanley), who used to drive my scholars a few years ago when she was based at Chester-le-Street, then moving to Deptford, and now at Stanley. After this, we exited the main building (after northern156 was left disappointed at hearing the news he couldn't be a driver for just one day per week, with the minumum being two) and noticed that Ben was now driving 3942 on the bus wash shuttles, which had now died down in demand, as John Westmoreland had seemingly stopped doing them alongside him. We had another trip (my third of the day), being the quietest that I'd been on.

After this, northern156 and I caught 6133 (which was the other vehicle operating alongside 5404 on the shuttles) back to the coach park, where I sat on 4855 for a while, and northern156 and MurdnunoC queued for a test drive experience. It was the former who was wanting to drive a bus, and he ended up with 3973, so I joined them as a passenger. I have to say, he did very well, although based on what others said, 3973 was arguably the nicest Vyking there. He then had a trip back to Riverside with MurdnunoC, while I conversed with Craig on 4855. About an hour or so passed, before I saw Sean again, looking to drive another Vyking as the queue length had died down. He had 3966, which he handled well again. You can imagine the surprise I got when the instructor offered me the chance to drive it myself, which I happily took up. I was initially confused, as I don't hold a licence nor am I old enough to, but he insisted that it was perfectly alright, as the training circuit was on private land at the coach park. After being acquainted with the cab features and how to make the vehicle turn a wheel, I set off. My first circuit was interesting, as I kept slamming my foot down on the air brakes, nearly killing both him and northern156 when I panicked on a corner. But, when I then went around for a second time, I did much better. I really did enjoy driving 3966, and it must have been the highlight of my day. 

The return journey was made in 4855, making a pitstop at Chester-le-Street depot so that Ian could start his shift. I was dropped back off at my local stop at 15:45, and I walked home for 16:00. In spite of the initial hiccup and then being delegated to the coach park for the rest of the day, the event itself was enjoyable, and I had the chance to drive my first bus. A good day overall, thanks for reading.

Charles41

24 May 2016, 12:15 pm #4,251
On Sunday 22 May I visited Scarborough Bus Fest. This was the event’s maiden year and it was really enjoyable. I travelled down by train, catching the 09.35 Birmingham service from Newcastle Central. This was a good journey without any problems and we arrived at York on time. I was scheduled to have a few minutes in York before catching the Scarborough train which was coming from Liverpool. This train was delayed by 14 minutes so I decided to get some photos of First Bus and Transdev vehicles outside the station. It had been a few years since I had last been in York and I made the most of my time to get some spotting in. I was surprised to see owner operator Robson (Coach 42) of Bedlington with his single Iveco going past the station.

I boarded my Scarborough connection after a last minute platform change and soon we were on our way. I had last been to Scarborough as a teenager with my parents. I was excited to see how it had changed over the years. I spent most of the journey looking out the window at the lush agricultural land. Castle Howard one of the North’s largest stately homes is near to the route. In next to no time we were approaching Scarborough. We passed the garage of Shoreline Suncruisers on the approach to the station and there were plenty of deckers in their yard. We also passed the East Yorkshire Motor Services (EYMS) depot which is right next to the railway station.

On leaving the train, I made my way round to the EYMS depot. There were about 20 vehicles in the yard and I was able to spot and photograph most of these with ease. I had not spotted any EYMS vehicles before so this was a real treat. Next I walked to what I remembered being the bus station. However I was greeted with the sight of car park with the former buildings demolished. What I shame, I recall United Bristol LHs and VRTs operating from here when I was about 15.

It being a nice morning I decided to take a slow walk to the rally site near Peasholm Park This took me about 20 minutes at an ambling pace since I wished to clear my head after the train journey. I found the rally easily enough, the park being well signposted. The organisers had chosen a good location, it was held in the car park of the local leisure pool, which had it’s facilities open to rally goers. The adjacent park was popular with local and tourists. It benefited from plenty of swings etc for children. Nearby was a miniature steam railway which was open for trade. The seafront was only 5 minutes walk away.

The control bus, which was an EYMS vehicle was at the entrance to the rally. The bus and adjacent sales stand were well manned by West Riding Bus Group (WRBG) members. They were clearly identifiable wearing hi-viz. WRBG members were also among the vehicles on display as well. Here they co-ordinated vehicle movements and dealt with enquiries from visitors. I felt this was a well organised system as you knew where to go and who to speak to if you had a problem or query. Members of the WRBG were also promoting the rally programme.

The programme cost £3.00 and was printed on glossy paper. This was a really useful well presented guide. It shared roughly the same format as the 500 Group’s recent running day programme. It had pictures and descriptions of the vehicles attending. It also gave general information about the rally and a service timetable. The timetable showed which vehicles were scheduled to operate each service. A useful idea was also to show which vehicles were DDA compliant. This allowed families with buggies to plan their day. Any profits from programme sales were to be given to the local RNLI who had a stall present.

There were approximately 20-25 vehicles at the event. Not all vehicles listed in the programme were present, but there were also some surprises. United were well represented along with a good contingent of vehicles from Humberside and buses with Plaxton bodywork. Scarborough was the former home of Plaxton’s works. I made a good tour of the site and photographed the vehicles present. I then took my first bus ride which was a former United Olympian. It was about 13.00 so I travelled back into the town centre. Here I got some lunch, explored the shopping streets and visited the beach. I then walked back upto the town centre and did a bit spotting near the railway station. As well as EYMS vehicles, I also spotted Transdev and Arriva deckers.

The rally organisers had use of a centrally placed bus stop in the town centre. This was opposite the Wetherspoons (Lord Roseberry). The stop was clearly labelled with rally details and a timetable. From here I caught a preserved Bristol LH. The driver stopped near the sea front and asked any of the children on the bus if they wanted their photos taken in the driver’s seat. I thought this was a nice touch and a good way of getting families involved.

Next we had a great journey along the busy seafront. The beach was very popular with holiday makers. Unfortunately traffic was a bit bad at times, the donkeys seemed to be moving faster! I spotted EYMS and Shoreline open toppers plying their trade along the way. The weather was glorious as we made our way to the rally site. The full circular route was scheduled to take about 40 minutes.

Back at the rally, a good crowd turned had out. There were plenty of enthusiasts present but more importantly locals and tourists having a look round. It had a real family atmosphere as pensioners from the nearby miners’ home reminisced whilst young kids played in the sun. At one point enthusiasts seemed to be outnumbered by mums with pushchairs. This is how a rally should be, an event for all the community to visit and enjoy.

I got some more photos and had a look around the stalls. There was a good turn out of traders selling books, photos, old timetables and model buses. There were also food and drink stalls. I bought some good bargain books of North East bus operators dating from the 1960s. I then queued for more bus rides. Most popular vehicle of day was Keith Andrews’s open topper Bristol VRT. It ended up doing extra unscheduled journeys to keep up with demand. Mums and kids seemed to love this VRT and it was exhilarating thrashing along the seafront. The WRBG volunteers were doing a great job keeping everyone informed of the extra journeys. My favourite vehicle was a 1952 Austin in the livery of former Darlington operator Scotts Greys.

Time was getting on so I caught a Plaxton Derwent bodied Leopard back into town alighting opposite Wetherspoons. I did a bit of spotting and got some photos before catching the 15.53 Trans Pennine service back to York. At York I got some more photos outside the station. I also spotted one of Jim Hughes Mercedes coaches. My final train was the 17:25 Cross-Country service which was going to Edinburgh Waverley. I was lucky to get a good window seat. We arrived back in Newcastle on time, tired but happy.

It had been a brilliant day out, even the delayed train was a positive as it allowed me to do some spotting in York. The rally was really interesting and well organised. There was a good turn out of vehicles present and lots of interest from within the local community. The vintage bus service was well planned and followed a lovely scenic route. The rally site is probably big enough to accommodate 30-40 buses so there is scope for expansion in the future.

I will definitely visit this rally if it’s held again next year. Well done WRBG.

Finally on a personal note the 22nd May was my first birthday as a born again bus enthusiast. I took up the hobby after many years break on 22 May 2015. My first trip on that date was to Alnwick where I looked around Rothbury Motors’ yard and took a trip on Spirit Buses.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

Charles
Charles41
24 May 2016, 12:15 pm #4,251

On Sunday 22 May I visited Scarborough Bus Fest. This was the event’s maiden year and it was really enjoyable. I travelled down by train, catching the 09.35 Birmingham service from Newcastle Central. This was a good journey without any problems and we arrived at York on time. I was scheduled to have a few minutes in York before catching the Scarborough train which was coming from Liverpool. This train was delayed by 14 minutes so I decided to get some photos of First Bus and Transdev vehicles outside the station. It had been a few years since I had last been in York and I made the most of my time to get some spotting in. I was surprised to see owner operator Robson (Coach 42) of Bedlington with his single Iveco going past the station.

I boarded my Scarborough connection after a last minute platform change and soon we were on our way. I had last been to Scarborough as a teenager with my parents. I was excited to see how it had changed over the years. I spent most of the journey looking out the window at the lush agricultural land. Castle Howard one of the North’s largest stately homes is near to the route. In next to no time we were approaching Scarborough. We passed the garage of Shoreline Suncruisers on the approach to the station and there were plenty of deckers in their yard. We also passed the East Yorkshire Motor Services (EYMS) depot which is right next to the railway station.

On leaving the train, I made my way round to the EYMS depot. There were about 20 vehicles in the yard and I was able to spot and photograph most of these with ease. I had not spotted any EYMS vehicles before so this was a real treat. Next I walked to what I remembered being the bus station. However I was greeted with the sight of car park with the former buildings demolished. What I shame, I recall United Bristol LHs and VRTs operating from here when I was about 15.

It being a nice morning I decided to take a slow walk to the rally site near Peasholm Park This took me about 20 minutes at an ambling pace since I wished to clear my head after the train journey. I found the rally easily enough, the park being well signposted. The organisers had chosen a good location, it was held in the car park of the local leisure pool, which had it’s facilities open to rally goers. The adjacent park was popular with local and tourists. It benefited from plenty of swings etc for children. Nearby was a miniature steam railway which was open for trade. The seafront was only 5 minutes walk away.

The control bus, which was an EYMS vehicle was at the entrance to the rally. The bus and adjacent sales stand were well manned by West Riding Bus Group (WRBG) members. They were clearly identifiable wearing hi-viz. WRBG members were also among the vehicles on display as well. Here they co-ordinated vehicle movements and dealt with enquiries from visitors. I felt this was a well organised system as you knew where to go and who to speak to if you had a problem or query. Members of the WRBG were also promoting the rally programme.

The programme cost £3.00 and was printed on glossy paper. This was a really useful well presented guide. It shared roughly the same format as the 500 Group’s recent running day programme. It had pictures and descriptions of the vehicles attending. It also gave general information about the rally and a service timetable. The timetable showed which vehicles were scheduled to operate each service. A useful idea was also to show which vehicles were DDA compliant. This allowed families with buggies to plan their day. Any profits from programme sales were to be given to the local RNLI who had a stall present.

There were approximately 20-25 vehicles at the event. Not all vehicles listed in the programme were present, but there were also some surprises. United were well represented along with a good contingent of vehicles from Humberside and buses with Plaxton bodywork. Scarborough was the former home of Plaxton’s works. I made a good tour of the site and photographed the vehicles present. I then took my first bus ride which was a former United Olympian. It was about 13.00 so I travelled back into the town centre. Here I got some lunch, explored the shopping streets and visited the beach. I then walked back upto the town centre and did a bit spotting near the railway station. As well as EYMS vehicles, I also spotted Transdev and Arriva deckers.

The rally organisers had use of a centrally placed bus stop in the town centre. This was opposite the Wetherspoons (Lord Roseberry). The stop was clearly labelled with rally details and a timetable. From here I caught a preserved Bristol LH. The driver stopped near the sea front and asked any of the children on the bus if they wanted their photos taken in the driver’s seat. I thought this was a nice touch and a good way of getting families involved.

Next we had a great journey along the busy seafront. The beach was very popular with holiday makers. Unfortunately traffic was a bit bad at times, the donkeys seemed to be moving faster! I spotted EYMS and Shoreline open toppers plying their trade along the way. The weather was glorious as we made our way to the rally site. The full circular route was scheduled to take about 40 minutes.

Back at the rally, a good crowd turned had out. There were plenty of enthusiasts present but more importantly locals and tourists having a look round. It had a real family atmosphere as pensioners from the nearby miners’ home reminisced whilst young kids played in the sun. At one point enthusiasts seemed to be outnumbered by mums with pushchairs. This is how a rally should be, an event for all the community to visit and enjoy.

I got some more photos and had a look around the stalls. There was a good turn out of traders selling books, photos, old timetables and model buses. There were also food and drink stalls. I bought some good bargain books of North East bus operators dating from the 1960s. I then queued for more bus rides. Most popular vehicle of day was Keith Andrews’s open topper Bristol VRT. It ended up doing extra unscheduled journeys to keep up with demand. Mums and kids seemed to love this VRT and it was exhilarating thrashing along the seafront. The WRBG volunteers were doing a great job keeping everyone informed of the extra journeys. My favourite vehicle was a 1952 Austin in the livery of former Darlington operator Scotts Greys.

Time was getting on so I caught a Plaxton Derwent bodied Leopard back into town alighting opposite Wetherspoons. I did a bit of spotting and got some photos before catching the 15.53 Trans Pennine service back to York. At York I got some more photos outside the station. I also spotted one of Jim Hughes Mercedes coaches. My final train was the 17:25 Cross-Country service which was going to Edinburgh Waverley. I was lucky to get a good window seat. We arrived back in Newcastle on time, tired but happy.

It had been a brilliant day out, even the delayed train was a positive as it allowed me to do some spotting in York. The rally was really interesting and well organised. There was a good turn out of vehicles present and lots of interest from within the local community. The vintage bus service was well planned and followed a lovely scenic route. The rally site is probably big enough to accommodate 30-40 buses so there is scope for expansion in the future.

I will definitely visit this rally if it’s held again next year. Well done WRBG.

Finally on a personal note the 22nd May was my first birthday as a born again bus enthusiast. I took up the hobby after many years break on 22 May 2015. My first trip on that date was to Alnwick where I looked around Rothbury Motors’ yard and took a trip on Spirit Buses.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

Charles

Jimmi

24 May 2016, 12:30 pm #4,252
Great review Charles,

I was originally going to head down to this event, but unfortunately after my adventure the previous day where I was out for 17 hours, I woke up on the Sunday morning with my legs aching and had a headache which I still have now which is putting me off doing anything at the moment.

Good to hear it seemed to be a very popular event and it seemed to be well organised, hopefully they will do this again next year.
Jimmi
24 May 2016, 12:30 pm #4,252

Great review Charles,

I was originally going to head down to this event, but unfortunately after my adventure the previous day where I was out for 17 hours, I woke up on the Sunday morning with my legs aching and had a headache which I still have now which is putting me off doing anything at the moment.

Good to hear it seemed to be a very popular event and it seemed to be well organised, hopefully they will do this again next year.

25 May 2016, 11:44 pm #4,253
Had a run out to North Shields 25/05 with the other half as we wanted to check where Parks Leisure Centre was as i am going there on Saturday for ScreenCon which is being held there. Times are what is displayed on the tickets.

10:05 10 Prudhoe Waterworld - Ryton Co-Op (GNE 3964)

Wasn't impressed with this one, out of the red B7's they use for the 10 route spares this is by far my least favourite of the fleet. Makes a right noise. Decided to get off at Ryton and change to a branded TEN bus.

10:23 10A Ryton Co-Op - Eldon Square Bus Station (GNE 6071)

As we waited along came 6071 running on 10A to greet us which we boarded to get to Newcastle. We sat in our usual default seat above the driver. This was a lot quieter on board the 10 which was quite busy. We alighted at Eldon Square Bus Station and headed to Haymarket Bus Station.

11:13 310 Haymarket Bus Station - North Shields, Rudyerd Street (GNE 6109)

This arrived at Haymarket at about 12 mins past 11. I guess this was the late running 11am as we got further away from Newcastle City Centre I spotted what was the 11:30 coming the other way which was on a red spare. Didn't catch. The fleet number as I was on the phone at the time. Not too bad a journey coming out of Newcastle but not too interesting after that as most of it was housing estates. We then alighted at Rudyerd Street in North Shields and waited for the 9.

12:16 9 North Shields, Rudyerd Street - Park Lane Interchange (GNE 5249)

Was expecting a Solar to come which I am not too much of a fan of (except for the Tynedale Xpress Solar's) but to my delight 5249 showed up which I rarely travel on so made a nice change. We sat on the four seaters on the near side at the back due to having a large case as the other half has been staying at my place all week. This wasn't too bad of a journey before the Tyne Tunnel which was nice to go through as I haven't been through here in years. The rest of the journey south of the Tyne was a bore fest, with it being mainly housing estates. Didn't pick up again until we got into Sunderland city centre. We alighted at Park Lane Interchange with the intention of getting the 2/2A or 8 to Washington.

13:31 2A Park Lane Interchange - Washington Galleries (GNE 8319)

As it was due first we got the 2A to Washington. Preferred to get this as I don't travel on Versa's too much and wanted to sample some variety of buses. We sat on the back seat due to needing space for the case. Nice journey to Washington with passing such places as Penshaw Monument along the way with the only annoyance being stuck behind a learner driver going under the speed limit between Penshaw and Biddick. We alighted at The Gallieries and walked to Albany to drop the case off at her house.

14:38 4 Albany, Albany Way - Concord Bus Station (GNE 5368)

We walked up to the bus stop on Albany Way and got the 4 to Concord Bus Station. This was quite busy but we managed to get a seat for the short journey to Concord.

14:53 56 Concord Bus Station - Gateshead Interchange (GNE 6096)

After waiting for around 10 mins 6096 showed up which was around 4 mins late. Nice to have a change to the usual X1 route which I normally get to Newcastle, with going through Donwell first before Springwell Village. Emma's voice kept cutting off next stops mid sentence on the NSA's on this bus on occasion but not constantly. We alighted at Gateshead Interchange as we wanted to go to Iceland for a bit of shopping and Subway as we hadn't eaten all day. We then headed back to the bus station.

15:46 X21 Gateshead Interchange - Eldon Square Bus Station (GNE 6304)

We boarded 6304 and sat upstairs above the driver like we usually do when available. This was a nice quick journey to Eldon Square Bus Station.

16:16 10B Eldon Square Bus Station - Prudhoe Waterworld (GNE 6081)

After waiting in Eldon Square Bus Station for a while due to the 10 being quite busy so we waited for the next 10B, we boarded 6081 for our return journey to Prudhoe.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Edited 29 May 2016, 12:42 am by TEN 6083.
TEN 6083
25 May 2016, 11:44 pm #4,253

Had a run out to North Shields 25/05 with the other half as we wanted to check where Parks Leisure Centre was as i am going there on Saturday for ScreenCon which is being held there. Times are what is displayed on the tickets.

10:05 10 Prudhoe Waterworld - Ryton Co-Op (GNE 3964)

Wasn't impressed with this one, out of the red B7's they use for the 10 route spares this is by far my least favourite of the fleet. Makes a right noise. Decided to get off at Ryton and change to a branded TEN bus.

10:23 10A Ryton Co-Op - Eldon Square Bus Station (GNE 6071)

As we waited along came 6071 running on 10A to greet us which we boarded to get to Newcastle. We sat in our usual default seat above the driver. This was a lot quieter on board the 10 which was quite busy. We alighted at Eldon Square Bus Station and headed to Haymarket Bus Station.

11:13 310 Haymarket Bus Station - North Shields, Rudyerd Street (GNE 6109)

This arrived at Haymarket at about 12 mins past 11. I guess this was the late running 11am as we got further away from Newcastle City Centre I spotted what was the 11:30 coming the other way which was on a red spare. Didn't catch. The fleet number as I was on the phone at the time. Not too bad a journey coming out of Newcastle but not too interesting after that as most of it was housing estates. We then alighted at Rudyerd Street in North Shields and waited for the 9.

12:16 9 North Shields, Rudyerd Street - Park Lane Interchange (GNE 5249)

Was expecting a Solar to come which I am not too much of a fan of (except for the Tynedale Xpress Solar's) but to my delight 5249 showed up which I rarely travel on so made a nice change. We sat on the four seaters on the near side at the back due to having a large case as the other half has been staying at my place all week. This wasn't too bad of a journey before the Tyne Tunnel which was nice to go through as I haven't been through here in years. The rest of the journey south of the Tyne was a bore fest, with it being mainly housing estates. Didn't pick up again until we got into Sunderland city centre. We alighted at Park Lane Interchange with the intention of getting the 2/2A or 8 to Washington.

13:31 2A Park Lane Interchange - Washington Galleries (GNE 8319)

As it was due first we got the 2A to Washington. Preferred to get this as I don't travel on Versa's too much and wanted to sample some variety of buses. We sat on the back seat due to needing space for the case. Nice journey to Washington with passing such places as Penshaw Monument along the way with the only annoyance being stuck behind a learner driver going under the speed limit between Penshaw and Biddick. We alighted at The Gallieries and walked to Albany to drop the case off at her house.

14:38 4 Albany, Albany Way - Concord Bus Station (GNE 5368)

We walked up to the bus stop on Albany Way and got the 4 to Concord Bus Station. This was quite busy but we managed to get a seat for the short journey to Concord.

14:53 56 Concord Bus Station - Gateshead Interchange (GNE 6096)

After waiting for around 10 mins 6096 showed up which was around 4 mins late. Nice to have a change to the usual X1 route which I normally get to Newcastle, with going through Donwell first before Springwell Village. Emma's voice kept cutting off next stops mid sentence on the NSA's on this bus on occasion but not constantly. We alighted at Gateshead Interchange as we wanted to go to Iceland for a bit of shopping and Subway as we hadn't eaten all day. We then headed back to the bus station.

15:46 X21 Gateshead Interchange - Eldon Square Bus Station (GNE 6304)

We boarded 6304 and sat upstairs above the driver like we usually do when available. This was a nice quick journey to Eldon Square Bus Station.

16:16 10B Eldon Square Bus Station - Prudhoe Waterworld (GNE 6081)

After waiting in Eldon Square Bus Station for a while due to the 10 being quite busy so we waited for the next 10B, we boarded 6081 for our return journey to Prudhoe.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

BusLoverMum

28 May 2016, 8:36 pm #4,254
We accidentally managed a journey involving no repeat bus types, today. Even more unusually, it featured no streetlites!

We started off in Durham, having been dropped off there so Big'un could have his head pruned. Grabbed the ritual sarnies and headed down to the bus station in time to hop onto a 16 at 10:40 - 5289. Definitely my favourite batch of Citaros, these.

Straight onto a Venture Solo on the V8 at Stanley at 11:16. Can't remember which one we got, but it wasn't the really rattly one. As always, this bus was very full.

Went to powder our by now shiny noses at the Metrocentre, then sat and ate our lunch and watched the world go by, in the bus station. I can recommend the pret classic club - v tasty (and kept me full until dinnertime, which went down well with MyFitnessPal)

We had decided to catch one of the stagecoach services to the Freeman hospital, for a change of scene. Caught the 12:22 7. Annoyingly, the driver tried to turn us away with our tickets "you can't use Northerns". This vehicle was 25191 - a very uninspiring SPD which struggled on hills.

Having used the route maps available onboard to work out what went where, we decided that we were bored, after the grimness of Kenton (and all the loud gobshite kids) and hopped off just after Fawdon Metro. A 30, which would take us straight into Newcastle wasn't far behind. This driver understood our tickets, at least. This vehicle was an ALX300 - 22034, big'un thinks. This was a nicer ride than the SPD, though I'm assuming there must be a portable ramp stashed away somewhere, or else how the hell is it DDA compliant?

We had a good walk around town, at this point. Some of the worst buskers I've heard in Newcastle for a long time, including a guy torturing a harmonica vaguely along to a backing track. Big'un was disgusted that John Lewis no longer have blueberry muffins in their cafe, so my free cuppa and cake voucher for this month has gone unused.

We grabbed some goodies from Waitrose (mostly pasta meals for Mr Fussy McFussypants, here) and then, after some scouting around, caught 4927, the Y reg Solar on the rather delayed 14:25 X25. Turns out that our trip via the West end was probably a good move, since there had been a rather disruptive incident on the Tyne Bridge, at lunch time.

We left this vehicle at CLS and crossed the road for better light to get a few pictures. We didn't stay long, though as 3872 turned up on the 21 to Durham. Big'un likes this Lolyne, even if it does stink and plods along the A167.

Durham bus station was absolutely heaving. We'd spotted newly repainted ANE 2839 pulling in on the 49, so took a walk the long way round to the roundabout to catch it for a photo, along with a few others. Headed back into the station, once it had passed, as our 22 was pulling in - a lovely, lovely Pulsar - 1520. Probably my favourite ride of the day since the morning's merc!
BusLoverMum
28 May 2016, 8:36 pm #4,254

We accidentally managed a journey involving no repeat bus types, today. Even more unusually, it featured no streetlites!

We started off in Durham, having been dropped off there so Big'un could have his head pruned. Grabbed the ritual sarnies and headed down to the bus station in time to hop onto a 16 at 10:40 - 5289. Definitely my favourite batch of Citaros, these.

Straight onto a Venture Solo on the V8 at Stanley at 11:16. Can't remember which one we got, but it wasn't the really rattly one. As always, this bus was very full.

Went to powder our by now shiny noses at the Metrocentre, then sat and ate our lunch and watched the world go by, in the bus station. I can recommend the pret classic club - v tasty (and kept me full until dinnertime, which went down well with MyFitnessPal)

We had decided to catch one of the stagecoach services to the Freeman hospital, for a change of scene. Caught the 12:22 7. Annoyingly, the driver tried to turn us away with our tickets "you can't use Northerns". This vehicle was 25191 - a very uninspiring SPD which struggled on hills.

Having used the route maps available onboard to work out what went where, we decided that we were bored, after the grimness of Kenton (and all the loud gobshite kids) and hopped off just after Fawdon Metro. A 30, which would take us straight into Newcastle wasn't far behind. This driver understood our tickets, at least. This vehicle was an ALX300 - 22034, big'un thinks. This was a nicer ride than the SPD, though I'm assuming there must be a portable ramp stashed away somewhere, or else how the hell is it DDA compliant?

We had a good walk around town, at this point. Some of the worst buskers I've heard in Newcastle for a long time, including a guy torturing a harmonica vaguely along to a backing track. Big'un was disgusted that John Lewis no longer have blueberry muffins in their cafe, so my free cuppa and cake voucher for this month has gone unused.

We grabbed some goodies from Waitrose (mostly pasta meals for Mr Fussy McFussypants, here) and then, after some scouting around, caught 4927, the Y reg Solar on the rather delayed 14:25 X25. Turns out that our trip via the West end was probably a good move, since there had been a rather disruptive incident on the Tyne Bridge, at lunch time.

We left this vehicle at CLS and crossed the road for better light to get a few pictures. We didn't stay long, though as 3872 turned up on the 21 to Durham. Big'un likes this Lolyne, even if it does stink and plods along the A167.

Durham bus station was absolutely heaving. We'd spotted newly repainted ANE 2839 pulling in on the 49, so took a walk the long way round to the roundabout to catch it for a photo, along with a few others. Headed back into the station, once it had passed, as our 22 was pulling in - a lovely, lovely Pulsar - 1520. Probably my favourite ride of the day since the morning's merc!

citaro5284

28 May 2016, 8:41 pm #4,255
Got to get my priorites sorted so......what is in a pret club classic?

Mind I hate long hair, I am at the barbers nearly every 3 to 4 weeks.
citaro5284
28 May 2016, 8:41 pm #4,255

Got to get my priorites sorted so......what is in a pret club classic?

Mind I hate long hair, I am at the barbers nearly every 3 to 4 weeks.

citaro5284

28 May 2016, 8:49 pm #4,256
Good review Charles. I bet you could see the difference in the organisation of the Scarboro rally versus the Metrocentre.
citaro5284
28 May 2016, 8:49 pm #4,256

Good review Charles. I bet you could see the difference in the organisation of the Scarboro rally versus the Metrocentre.

28 May 2016, 8:55 pm #4,257
(28 May 2016, 8:36 pm)BusLoverMum We accidentally managed a journey involving no repeat bus types, today. Even more unusually, it featured no streetlites!

Interesting review, I seem to always have 22034 by chance (my grandparents live in next to the X77/X78/GNE 74 route) and the past ten times eight of them on the X78 I have had 22034, not great but not rubbish, there is a ramp because I have seen it before. On another note if you want a great SNE SPD catch 35192, I use them regularly on the 32/32A and the 7 to/from my school so I know plenty about those buses, and 35191 is worst of all and if you want info about the ALX300s 22038, 22408 and 22050 are some of the best (22038 only because of the registration) and the worst is 22031 by far
NK53 TKT
28 May 2016, 8:55 pm #4,257

(28 May 2016, 8:36 pm)BusLoverMum We accidentally managed a journey involving no repeat bus types, today. Even more unusually, it featured no streetlites!

Interesting review, I seem to always have 22034 by chance (my grandparents live in next to the X77/X78/GNE 74 route) and the past ten times eight of them on the X78 I have had 22034, not great but not rubbish, there is a ramp because I have seen it before. On another note if you want a great SNE SPD catch 35192, I use them regularly on the 32/32A and the 7 to/from my school so I know plenty about those buses, and 35191 is worst of all and if you want info about the ALX300s 22038, 22408 and 22050 are some of the best (22038 only because of the registration) and the worst is 22031 by far

Tom

28 May 2016, 9:05 pm #4,258
Ramps on the ALX300 are in the side blind I think or near there anyway
Tom
28 May 2016, 9:05 pm #4,258

Ramps on the ALX300 are in the side blind I think or near there anyway

28 May 2016, 9:06 pm #4,259
Havent got time to write a review because of the Champions League Final, But heres a Flickr post off today, More will be on soon https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/

South Tyne Lad
28 May 2016, 9:06 pm #4,259

Havent got time to write a review because of the Champions League Final, But heres a Flickr post off today, More will be on soon https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/

28 May 2016, 9:16 pm #4,260
Today was quite a long day.
08 : 48 x36 5207 Sunderland wheatsheaf depot to Sunderland Homeside.
I planned to go and get the 9 but after 5 minutes of no shows i walked a few stops to the wheatsheaf 5207 was first so took it, quite ok but was just a short journey.
09 :00 2 4925 sunderland homeside to Grangetown roundabout.
This was quite a ride a few gasps of roar from this beauty, alighted in Grangtown with a choice of 4813 or 5376 back.
09:10 60 5376 Grangetown Roundabout to Sunderland interchange.
This was pretty decent i noted the bus needs new branding as its all pealed of.
09 :20 20A 4907 Sunderland interchange to Durham Bus station.
I was expecting a solar or a new pb streetlites and when i so this i couldn't believe it, so pleased as this may be withdrawn shortley , none the less i sat back and enjoyed the journey.
10 : 46 128 5419 Durham Bus station to Beamish main entrance.
I had hoped for 4896 or 4903 or a rare worker but unfortunately 5419 showed i was glad it had wifi though, the journey flu by with some marvellous scenery.
I spent a while at Beamish before leaving to carch the next bus of the day.
12 : 27 ( 12:32) 8 5401 Beamish museum main entrance to Stanley Bus station.
I just thought a plain coast n country would come , but 5401 was up for rides i quite enjoyed this bus compared to many streetlights.
12 : 55 713 W363ABD Stanley Bus Station to Flint Hill ternimus.
I awaited the next bus and to my delight i so W363ABD though i forgot it had urban90 seats at the time , but to be fair they were comfy id recommend this route to anyone the scenery is good , you also pass there garage where Driver change overs take place.
13 : 19 16 547 Flint Hill to Stanley Bus station
The bus back was another dart in the form of 547, i was surprised that this bus lacked speed as it used to be a really good motor.
13 : 46 8 5406 Stanley Bus station to Chester-le-Street south burns.
This was the next ride now a branded streetlight , i charged my phone upon this bus aswell.
14 :20 50 5245 chester le street south burns to Chester-le-Street depot.
I boarded 5245 and noticed the driver was a regular on the x1 must be change of boards for her , 5245 was quite decent a very nice ride.
At chester depot i glared in to see 551 there first i thought it was to replace something but found out its been donating parts to other buses, a few lolynes were at the back of Chester-le-Street aswell.
14 :37 34A 8305 chester le street south burns to the top of front street?
I ventured 2 stops on this stalking versa every time i use the worm this is on.
14 :45 34 4928 Chester le street to south burns
Another short journey this time 4928 it seemed ok i noticed it has no clock.
15 :10 X25 4905 Chester le street to Eldon Square
This was my delightful ride to newcastle it got good power along many roads and a very fun journey.
Shame this bus has to get withdrawn again.
16 :07 x8 7606 Haymarket to South Gosforth roundabout.
I went in to Haymarket in hope of something decent i located 7606 so took it for haulage, this got to speeds along Great north road (now ive been on all 27 of Arrivas Geminis).
16:33 6 22077 South Gosforth roundabout to Gosforth High Street
I was pleased this turned up for haulage a pretty short 5 minute journey.
16 :50 q3 5380 Gosforth high street to Haymarket
This was next up an extreme rare worker and surprisingly it had the next stop announcements for this service aswell.
17 :10 47 4896 Eldon Square to central station
I was pleased 4896 was next for haulage as i haven't had it for a while just plain natural though.
17 :25:metro 4001 /40* central station to seaburn
I was pleased that i had the unrefurbished set back as they are much better.
Thanks for reading

Best bus ever
biglugs@yahoo.com
28 May 2016, 9:16 pm #4,260

Today was quite a long day.
08 : 48 x36 5207 Sunderland wheatsheaf depot to Sunderland Homeside.
I planned to go and get the 9 but after 5 minutes of no shows i walked a few stops to the wheatsheaf 5207 was first so took it, quite ok but was just a short journey.
09 :00 2 4925 sunderland homeside to Grangetown roundabout.
This was quite a ride a few gasps of roar from this beauty, alighted in Grangtown with a choice of 4813 or 5376 back.
09:10 60 5376 Grangetown Roundabout to Sunderland interchange.
This was pretty decent i noted the bus needs new branding as its all pealed of.
09 :20 20A 4907 Sunderland interchange to Durham Bus station.
I was expecting a solar or a new pb streetlites and when i so this i couldn't believe it, so pleased as this may be withdrawn shortley , none the less i sat back and enjoyed the journey.
10 : 46 128 5419 Durham Bus station to Beamish main entrance.
I had hoped for 4896 or 4903 or a rare worker but unfortunately 5419 showed i was glad it had wifi though, the journey flu by with some marvellous scenery.
I spent a while at Beamish before leaving to carch the next bus of the day.
12 : 27 ( 12:32) 8 5401 Beamish museum main entrance to Stanley Bus station.
I just thought a plain coast n country would come , but 5401 was up for rides i quite enjoyed this bus compared to many streetlights.
12 : 55 713 W363ABD Stanley Bus Station to Flint Hill ternimus.
I awaited the next bus and to my delight i so W363ABD though i forgot it had urban90 seats at the time , but to be fair they were comfy id recommend this route to anyone the scenery is good , you also pass there garage where Driver change overs take place.
13 : 19 16 547 Flint Hill to Stanley Bus station
The bus back was another dart in the form of 547, i was surprised that this bus lacked speed as it used to be a really good motor.
13 : 46 8 5406 Stanley Bus station to Chester-le-Street south burns.
This was the next ride now a branded streetlight , i charged my phone upon this bus aswell.
14 :20 50 5245 chester le street south burns to Chester-le-Street depot.
I boarded 5245 and noticed the driver was a regular on the x1 must be change of boards for her , 5245 was quite decent a very nice ride.
At chester depot i glared in to see 551 there first i thought it was to replace something but found out its been donating parts to other buses, a few lolynes were at the back of Chester-le-Street aswell.
14 :37 34A 8305 chester le street south burns to the top of front street?
I ventured 2 stops on this stalking versa every time i use the worm this is on.
14 :45 34 4928 Chester le street to south burns
Another short journey this time 4928 it seemed ok i noticed it has no clock.
15 :10 X25 4905 Chester le street to Eldon Square
This was my delightful ride to newcastle it got good power along many roads and a very fun journey.
Shame this bus has to get withdrawn again.
16 :07 x8 7606 Haymarket to South Gosforth roundabout.
I went in to Haymarket in hope of something decent i located 7606 so took it for haulage, this got to speeds along Great north road (now ive been on all 27 of Arrivas Geminis).
16:33 6 22077 South Gosforth roundabout to Gosforth High Street
I was pleased this turned up for haulage a pretty short 5 minute journey.
16 :50 q3 5380 Gosforth high street to Haymarket
This was next up an extreme rare worker and surprisingly it had the next stop announcements for this service aswell.
17 :10 47 4896 Eldon Square to central station
I was pleased 4896 was next for haulage as i haven't had it for a while just plain natural though.
17 :25:metro 4001 /40* central station to seaburn
I was pleased that i had the unrefurbished set back as they are much better.
Thanks for reading

Best bus ever

Pages (239) Previous 1212 213 214239 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average