Tom

21 Apr 2013, 8:19 pm #1
Bus Related Outings and Reviews to be posted in this thread Smile
Tom
21 Apr 2013, 8:19 pm #1

Bus Related Outings and Reviews to be posted in this thread Smile

Andreos1

04 May 2013, 10:43 pm #2
What sort of adventures or tales have people got from their trips on buses?

Breakdowns, bricks through windows, fights?
Andreos1
04 May 2013, 10:43 pm #2

What sort of adventures or tales have people got from their trips on buses?

Breakdowns, bricks through windows, fights?

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

05 May 2013, 2:34 pm #3
Once witnessed a father and son (grown up) in a headlock with all the associated shouting, swearing and shoving at the back of the bus on a 3 to Hylton Castle one evening a few years ago. Tongue

Driver phoned for the police at Marley Pots. They legged it before they arrived but the pair of them still took the opportunity to verbally abuse other passengers while on their way off. We still had to wait for the police to come before we could get moving again Undecided

I'm fortunate enough not to have experienced having a brick through the window though Wink
NEB Admin Team
05 May 2013, 2:34 pm #3

Once witnessed a father and son (grown up) in a headlock with all the associated shouting, swearing and shoving at the back of the bus on a 3 to Hylton Castle one evening a few years ago. Tongue

Driver phoned for the police at Marley Pots. They legged it before they arrived but the pair of them still took the opportunity to verbally abuse other passengers while on their way off. We still had to wait for the police to come before we could get moving again Undecided

I'm fortunate enough not to have experienced having a brick through the window though Wink

Dan

Site Administrator

05 May 2013, 3:06 pm #4
During the snowy periods a month or two ago, I was doing round trips with the driver because I had a few hours to kill. Some kids were throwing snowballs off the bus (again, think it was in the Hylton Castle area). We were near the terminus of the route, and as I knew the driver I asked him to open the doors on the way back before reaching the kids so I could pick up some snowballs before we got back to them. He agreed and I jumped off the bus when we got to the kids and threw a few snowballs I'd collected just beforehand off them.
Don't mess with Stagecoach in Sunderland ;-)
Dan
05 May 2013, 3:06 pm #4

During the snowy periods a month or two ago, I was doing round trips with the driver because I had a few hours to kill. Some kids were throwing snowballs off the bus (again, think it was in the Hylton Castle area). We were near the terminus of the route, and as I knew the driver I asked him to open the doors on the way back before reaching the kids so I could pick up some snowballs before we got back to them. He agreed and I jumped off the bus when we got to the kids and threw a few snowballs I'd collected just beforehand off them.
Don't mess with Stagecoach in Sunderland ;-)

MurdnunoC

05 May 2013, 7:34 pm #5
Fights used to be a regular occurrence on the last buses travelling from Newcastle to Blaydon/Winlaton/Rowlands Gill/Chopwell. On one occasion the police were called but the combatants decided to scarper through the emergency door at the back of the bus. Since the bus was only two stops away from where I wanted to alight, and because the bus driver was refusing to let anyone off the bus, I opted to to do the same thing rather than wait for the police to show up (as did one or two other passengers). The same journeys also witnessed spontaneous outbursts of singing and dancing, usually initiated by passengers who were somewhat inebriated, but that didn't stop other passengers joining in with the fun and games.

I've experienced a brick through the window before. It wasn't on a bus but on a train coming back from Sunderland to Newcastle in, maybe, 1984/5 (I vividly remember maps on the train showing routes from Newcastle to South Shields). The window was smashed coming through Gateshead so the brick must have been dropped from the bridge which now carries the Felling by-pass across the railway. The train was delayed for a little bit, then carried on to Central Station. On the same train, there were also some glue-sniffers sitting in the same carriage stinking up the train with solvents. A rather eventful train journey for a five/six year old.
MurdnunoC
05 May 2013, 7:34 pm #5

Fights used to be a regular occurrence on the last buses travelling from Newcastle to Blaydon/Winlaton/Rowlands Gill/Chopwell. On one occasion the police were called but the combatants decided to scarper through the emergency door at the back of the bus. Since the bus was only two stops away from where I wanted to alight, and because the bus driver was refusing to let anyone off the bus, I opted to to do the same thing rather than wait for the police to show up (as did one or two other passengers). The same journeys also witnessed spontaneous outbursts of singing and dancing, usually initiated by passengers who were somewhat inebriated, but that didn't stop other passengers joining in with the fun and games.

I've experienced a brick through the window before. It wasn't on a bus but on a train coming back from Sunderland to Newcastle in, maybe, 1984/5 (I vividly remember maps on the train showing routes from Newcastle to South Shields). The window was smashed coming through Gateshead so the brick must have been dropped from the bridge which now carries the Felling by-pass across the railway. The train was delayed for a little bit, then carried on to Central Station. On the same train, there were also some glue-sniffers sitting in the same carriage stinking up the train with solvents. A rather eventful train journey for a five/six year old.

Adrian

05 May 2013, 9:06 pm #6
Can't say I've seen any fights or bricks thrown through any windows - thank god! The old 638 from Sunderland to Heworth on a night was always an interesting ride if you happened to get on the last bus though. Including a young lass that drunk she ended up falling face first in to her pizza.

As for days out and such though. I'm getting sent down Brighton for the best part of a week later on this month, so hoping to have a good bit of free time to catch some of the fleet down there. Thankfully I travel with someone else who is an enthusiast, which I find helps!

I've also been thinking about doing a Saturday up Edinburgh sometime in July. Tickets are up at the moment, and I could probably do an advance return for £25.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
05 May 2013, 9:06 pm #6

Can't say I've seen any fights or bricks thrown through any windows - thank god! The old 638 from Sunderland to Heworth on a night was always an interesting ride if you happened to get on the last bus though. Including a young lass that drunk she ended up falling face first in to her pizza.

As for days out and such though. I'm getting sent down Brighton for the best part of a week later on this month, so hoping to have a good bit of free time to catch some of the fleet down there. Thankfully I travel with someone else who is an enthusiast, which I find helps!

I've also been thinking about doing a Saturday up Edinburgh sometime in July. Tickets are up at the moment, and I could probably do an advance return for £25.

Andreos1

05 May 2013, 11:45 pm #7
The only reason I asked, was because me and a few mates were chatting about the time we were merrily sitting at the back of a Superliner coach working the 231 a few years back - when heading through Fencehouses, someone chucked a brick through the window.

It got me thinking about other adventures which included:
* A certain bad tempered driver on the 194, waiting for his relief at Philildephia depot. He got that sick he drove the bus (with passengers) inside the depot, got out and left us sitting there.

* Heading to Gateshead on the short-lived 191 and noticing the engine on the National getting very hot. So hot you could feel it through the back seats. The driver detoured into Sunderland Road and this meant a change. It also meant a mad dash onto the x66 at Gateshead before our 25p transfer tickets expired (you had an hour to change from time of issue) and we werent going to fork out another 20p if we could help it!

* Waiting at Gateshead in the mid 80s and seeing a driver loose his rag with an Atlantean engine. The engine won and seemed to explode - luckily the driver had turned his back in a temper as he stormed off just as the engine went.

* A 16/17 year old on the 194 at Grasswell trying to get on with a kids 20p fare and spitting at the driver when he was refused.

* Sitting on a Prestege when a car decided to crash into the back of it in the bus lane outside Low Fell library.

* A Bristol VR on a school trip back from the Gateshead Garden Festival swerving to avoid a car and clipping the wall outside the Shell petrol station at Harlow Green.

* A 294 driver going the wrong way at the top of Worm Hill Terrace in Washington and having to do a reverse turn into a small residential street - it caused chaos.

*I would gave been about 10 and we were sitting upstairs on a MCW Metrobus heading to Barley Mow passing the site of the Gateshead Angel when a gust of wind got hold of us. The sheer panic on the passengers faces was enough to tell me that we had a lucky escape!
Whether it did or not, Im not sure, but it felt as if the bus had lifted off the ground.

* Waiting for the last 194 back to my parents after a few under age sherbets in a pub in Hetton. Sticking my hand out for the bus, it turned out it was the last x94 and the 194 had been early. The driver asked where I was going, let me on with my pass, went the normal way through Fencehouses to Shiney and instead of heading to Washington on the Highway, headed off down Station Lane towards Penshaw following the 194 route!
Legend! Saved me a long walk home!

Just remembered about this one, completely forgot! Jumping on the 194 home from school in Washington, there was a bit of bother with other school kids and the rear emergency door being opened from the outside. A well known driver who resembled a character from an ITV series set in 1960s Yorkshire decided enough was enough, drove a few yards down the road and turned into the school car park. Bearing in mind the emergency door was still open and it was a service bus, the driver then proceded to honk his horn until a deputy head came out to see what the hell this green bus was doing in the car park!

I was not on it, but if anyone is too young or cant remember, have a search to see if you can find photos of the decker that crashed through the railings on the Redheugh Bridge OR the JCB which rolled down the hill into a bus on Easedale Gardens in the mid 80s.
That would be a story to tell your grandkids being on one of those!
Andreos1
05 May 2013, 11:45 pm #7

The only reason I asked, was because me and a few mates were chatting about the time we were merrily sitting at the back of a Superliner coach working the 231 a few years back - when heading through Fencehouses, someone chucked a brick through the window.

It got me thinking about other adventures which included:
* A certain bad tempered driver on the 194, waiting for his relief at Philildephia depot. He got that sick he drove the bus (with passengers) inside the depot, got out and left us sitting there.

* Heading to Gateshead on the short-lived 191 and noticing the engine on the National getting very hot. So hot you could feel it through the back seats. The driver detoured into Sunderland Road and this meant a change. It also meant a mad dash onto the x66 at Gateshead before our 25p transfer tickets expired (you had an hour to change from time of issue) and we werent going to fork out another 20p if we could help it!

* Waiting at Gateshead in the mid 80s and seeing a driver loose his rag with an Atlantean engine. The engine won and seemed to explode - luckily the driver had turned his back in a temper as he stormed off just as the engine went.

* A 16/17 year old on the 194 at Grasswell trying to get on with a kids 20p fare and spitting at the driver when he was refused.

* Sitting on a Prestege when a car decided to crash into the back of it in the bus lane outside Low Fell library.

* A Bristol VR on a school trip back from the Gateshead Garden Festival swerving to avoid a car and clipping the wall outside the Shell petrol station at Harlow Green.

* A 294 driver going the wrong way at the top of Worm Hill Terrace in Washington and having to do a reverse turn into a small residential street - it caused chaos.

*I would gave been about 10 and we were sitting upstairs on a MCW Metrobus heading to Barley Mow passing the site of the Gateshead Angel when a gust of wind got hold of us. The sheer panic on the passengers faces was enough to tell me that we had a lucky escape!
Whether it did or not, Im not sure, but it felt as if the bus had lifted off the ground.

* Waiting for the last 194 back to my parents after a few under age sherbets in a pub in Hetton. Sticking my hand out for the bus, it turned out it was the last x94 and the 194 had been early. The driver asked where I was going, let me on with my pass, went the normal way through Fencehouses to Shiney and instead of heading to Washington on the Highway, headed off down Station Lane towards Penshaw following the 194 route!
Legend! Saved me a long walk home!

Just remembered about this one, completely forgot! Jumping on the 194 home from school in Washington, there was a bit of bother with other school kids and the rear emergency door being opened from the outside. A well known driver who resembled a character from an ITV series set in 1960s Yorkshire decided enough was enough, drove a few yards down the road and turned into the school car park. Bearing in mind the emergency door was still open and it was a service bus, the driver then proceded to honk his horn until a deputy head came out to see what the hell this green bus was doing in the car park!

I was not on it, but if anyone is too young or cant remember, have a search to see if you can find photos of the decker that crashed through the railings on the Redheugh Bridge OR the JCB which rolled down the hill into a bus on Easedale Gardens in the mid 80s.
That would be a story to tell your grandkids being on one of those!

MurdnunoC

06 May 2013, 7:44 am #8
(05 May 2013, 11:45 pm)Andreos1 I was not on it, but if anyone is too young or cant remember, have a search to see if you can find photos of the decker that crashed through the railings on the Redheugh Bridge

I vaguely remember this with the bus lying on its side and part of its upper deck protruding over the side of the bridge. It would have been in the mid-90s and I'm pretty sure it was the 602.
MurdnunoC
06 May 2013, 7:44 am #8

(05 May 2013, 11:45 pm)Andreos1 I was not on it, but if anyone is too young or cant remember, have a search to see if you can find photos of the decker that crashed through the railings on the Redheugh Bridge

I vaguely remember this with the bus lying on its side and part of its upper deck protruding over the side of the bridge. It would have been in the mid-90s and I'm pretty sure it was the 602.

Andreos1

06 May 2013, 9:02 am #9
I cant remember which bus it was, maybe there has been more than one incident of it happening.
The only reason I am sure about the one in the mid 80s was because the legend that is Paul Frost was presenting the local news with it on and I was at with one of my grandparents watching it (she died in early 90s).
Spookily enough I was also with her when the JCB rolled down the hill and she lived 2mins up the road. With it being near the hospital the sound of sirens didnt alarm us - it was only seeing it on the news that alerted us.
Andreos1
06 May 2013, 9:02 am #9

I cant remember which bus it was, maybe there has been more than one incident of it happening.
The only reason I am sure about the one in the mid 80s was because the legend that is Paul Frost was presenting the local news with it on and I was at with one of my grandparents watching it (she died in early 90s).
Spookily enough I was also with her when the JCB rolled down the hill and she lived 2mins up the road. With it being near the hospital the sound of sirens didnt alarm us - it was only seeing it on the news that alerted us.

28 Sep 2013, 7:49 am #10
Here is going to be a long trip, at 9am am going to Leave mine and do the following

BUS Thatto Heath - St Helens
BUS St Helens - Newton Le Willows
TRAIN Newton Le Willows - Manchester
BUS Manchester - Huddersfield
BUS Huddersfield - Manchester
TRAIN Manchester - Newton Le Willows
BUS Newton Le Willows - St Helens
BUS St Helens - Old Eccelston

the amount of miles am going to cover today its going to be very high Tongue
Terence Price
28 Sep 2013, 7:49 am #10

Here is going to be a long trip, at 9am am going to Leave mine and do the following

BUS Thatto Heath - St Helens
BUS St Helens - Newton Le Willows
TRAIN Newton Le Willows - Manchester
BUS Manchester - Huddersfield
BUS Huddersfield - Manchester
TRAIN Manchester - Newton Le Willows
BUS Newton Le Willows - St Helens
BUS St Helens - Old Eccelston

the amount of miles am going to cover today its going to be very high Tongue

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

10 Oct 2013, 11:52 am #11
A few years ago I bumped into a mate of mine, a driver on the X35 in Hetton, decided I would jump on and have a trip to Hartlepool and back up to Sunderland, this drunk got in at Hetton on the return, and although I know the driver sbould not really be talking to me, this guy, who I think was possibly on drugs as well, starting screaming at me with foul language, there was only me, the driver, an old lady and 2 young girls on the bus, this idiot was trying to chat the girls up who looked quite uncomfortable, so I was watching him when he caught me looking, the driver kicked him off the bus at the Burn Inn, as he was walking down the bus to get off he had his hand in his jacket and I honestly thought he was going to pull a knife, that his body language and behaviour was indicating, I was frozen to the spot and could feel myself nearly crying with the thought of 'not like this, not here, not now' going through my mind, i think it is the only time I ever remember being so scared, like a rabbit caught in the headlights...

Some other bus related tales

*On the 194 one night, bus pulled into Philly depot for something, we were left sitting there for about 10 minutes, dont know why, anyway bus gets to Easington Lane, I need the 152 to get home, I had just missed it by seconds, had to walk back to Murton, on roads that are unlit, not too good as it is easy to scare me at the best of times

*Coming back from school in Durham one day when I was 10/11 on the 154, the driver was horrible, a big fat ginger bloke from Murton called Norman who took delight in screaming at people, coming along Broomside Lane I was being a bit boistrous, he stopped the bus and threatened to put me off right there and then if I did not sit down and shut up, naturally I the rest of the journey was done in silence.

*In Durham in 1999 or 2000, had an argument with an Arriva driver over the way he spoke to another passenger, he started getting aggresive saying I ought to be but put in my place, so I just said to him, step off the bus big fella and we will continue the argument, he would not and told me to step in front of the bus to settle the argument that way, I wish I stepped out in front of that bus just to see if he had the balls to do anything but my dragged me away as somebody phoned the Police

I aint had a brick through a window while I have been on a bus, though seen a bird go head on with a decker, the impact was that hard it's beak cracked the glass a bit, I was around to hear quite possibly the best announcement on a train, coming back from Berwick on GNER, a window got put through, when the train got to Newcastle, the train manager announced 'GNER would like to apologise for any inconvenience, but this train will be terminating at Newcastle, this is through no fault of ours, some little Bastard thought it would be funny to smash a window in one of the carriages' to which an old lady replied 'Kids today, little twats have no respect'
MrFozz
10 Oct 2013, 11:52 am #11

A few years ago I bumped into a mate of mine, a driver on the X35 in Hetton, decided I would jump on and have a trip to Hartlepool and back up to Sunderland, this drunk got in at Hetton on the return, and although I know the driver sbould not really be talking to me, this guy, who I think was possibly on drugs as well, starting screaming at me with foul language, there was only me, the driver, an old lady and 2 young girls on the bus, this idiot was trying to chat the girls up who looked quite uncomfortable, so I was watching him when he caught me looking, the driver kicked him off the bus at the Burn Inn, as he was walking down the bus to get off he had his hand in his jacket and I honestly thought he was going to pull a knife, that his body language and behaviour was indicating, I was frozen to the spot and could feel myself nearly crying with the thought of 'not like this, not here, not now' going through my mind, i think it is the only time I ever remember being so scared, like a rabbit caught in the headlights...

Some other bus related tales

*On the 194 one night, bus pulled into Philly depot for something, we were left sitting there for about 10 minutes, dont know why, anyway bus gets to Easington Lane, I need the 152 to get home, I had just missed it by seconds, had to walk back to Murton, on roads that are unlit, not too good as it is easy to scare me at the best of times

*Coming back from school in Durham one day when I was 10/11 on the 154, the driver was horrible, a big fat ginger bloke from Murton called Norman who took delight in screaming at people, coming along Broomside Lane I was being a bit boistrous, he stopped the bus and threatened to put me off right there and then if I did not sit down and shut up, naturally I the rest of the journey was done in silence.

*In Durham in 1999 or 2000, had an argument with an Arriva driver over the way he spoke to another passenger, he started getting aggresive saying I ought to be but put in my place, so I just said to him, step off the bus big fella and we will continue the argument, he would not and told me to step in front of the bus to settle the argument that way, I wish I stepped out in front of that bus just to see if he had the balls to do anything but my dragged me away as somebody phoned the Police

I aint had a brick through a window while I have been on a bus, though seen a bird go head on with a decker, the impact was that hard it's beak cracked the glass a bit, I was around to hear quite possibly the best announcement on a train, coming back from Berwick on GNER, a window got put through, when the train got to Newcastle, the train manager announced 'GNER would like to apologise for any inconvenience, but this train will be terminating at Newcastle, this is through no fault of ours, some little Bastard thought it would be funny to smash a window in one of the carriages' to which an old lady replied 'Kids today, little twats have no respect'

Tom

17 Nov 2013, 2:09 pm #12
I think I might try the long X18 from Newcastle to Berwick sometime - Anyone ever used it?
Tom
17 Nov 2013, 2:09 pm #12

I think I might try the long X18 from Newcastle to Berwick sometime - Anyone ever used it?

Adrian

17 Nov 2013, 3:51 pm #13
(17 Nov 2013, 2:09 pm)Tom I think I might try the long X18 from Newcastle to Berwick sometime - Anyone ever used it?

Nope. I don't think I could last 4 hours on a bus. Sad I do need a trip up Berwick to catch some of the Perryman's fleet, but I think I'll go East Coast. Tongue

Adrian
17 Nov 2013, 3:51 pm #13

(17 Nov 2013, 2:09 pm)Tom I think I might try the long X18 from Newcastle to Berwick sometime - Anyone ever used it?

Nope. I don't think I could last 4 hours on a bus. Sad I do need a trip up Berwick to catch some of the Perryman's fleet, but I think I'll go East Coast. Tongue

Tom

17 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm #14
(17 Nov 2013, 3:51 pm)aureolin Nope. I don't think I could last 4 hours on a bus. Sad I do need a trip up Berwick to catch some of the Perryman's fleet, but I think I'll go East Coast. Tongue

I'd be going East Coast back, but the views on the X18 look truly fantastic. X15 seems a better option on the bus like.
Tom
17 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm #14

(17 Nov 2013, 3:51 pm)aureolin Nope. I don't think I could last 4 hours on a bus. Sad I do need a trip up Berwick to catch some of the Perryman's fleet, but I think I'll go East Coast. Tongue

I'd be going East Coast back, but the views on the X18 look truly fantastic. X15 seems a better option on the bus like.

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Nov 2013, 4:00 pm #15
(17 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm)Tom I'd be going East Coast back, but the views on the X18 look truly fantastic. X15 seems a better option on the bus like.

On my first trip to Berwick (as an enthusiast) in September 2012, I wanted to take the X15 there and X18 back as it allowed for quite a few hours in Berwick whilst also being able to see the views.
I think I've left it a little too late to squeeze in the trip this year, but when the nights start to get lighter again, I think I'll go then.
Dan
17 Nov 2013, 4:00 pm #15

(17 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm)Tom I'd be going East Coast back, but the views on the X18 look truly fantastic. X15 seems a better option on the bus like.

On my first trip to Berwick (as an enthusiast) in September 2012, I wanted to take the X15 there and X18 back as it allowed for quite a few hours in Berwick whilst also being able to see the views.
I think I've left it a little too late to squeeze in the trip this year, but when the nights start to get lighter again, I think I'll go then.

Tom

17 Nov 2013, 4:03 pm #16
(17 Nov 2013, 4:00 pm)Dan On my first trip to Berwick (as an enthusiast) in September 2012, I wanted to take the X15 there and X18 back as it allowed for quite a few hours in Berwick whilst also being able to see the views.

Furthest I had been was Alnwick, the X18 was 45 minutes late, and then I got 4515 which I had to stand all the way on Sad
Tom
17 Nov 2013, 4:03 pm #16

(17 Nov 2013, 4:00 pm)Dan On my first trip to Berwick (as an enthusiast) in September 2012, I wanted to take the X15 there and X18 back as it allowed for quite a few hours in Berwick whilst also being able to see the views.

Furthest I had been was Alnwick, the X18 was 45 minutes late, and then I got 4515 which I had to stand all the way on Sad

tyresmoke

17 Nov 2013, 5:28 pm #17
Just on the train coming back from Newcastle after another bus trip organised by Stu Gray and Alex Kennedy.

We departed Worswick St bus station around 1040 and had a blast down the A1 before following the old X1 route in Tiger ESU110, formerly part of the Tees/United fleet. After arriving in Middlesbrough, we carried onto the Stagecarriage depot at Grangetown where we had a selection of treats laid on by the OM (Mr Atkin).
Dennis Condor G303FWC was first up as we set off along the A66 and A174, climbing up through Skelton to Lingdale for a photo opportunity (even the sun made an appearance!) before returning to the depot via Margrove and Guisborough.
Second bus out was (former GNE) Olympian R556LGH for a quick trip via South Bank and the Riverside Stadium to the Transporter Bridge for another photo stop, before returning to the depot once again for another vehicle change.
The third run of the day was aboard Leyland Olympian H651VVV, formerly part of the Stephensons of Easingwold fleet and once a Stagecoach vehicle. This trip took us via Redcar and Marske to Saltburn where a quick lunch stop for fish and chips enabled a quick break by the seaside! The return climb up Saltburn bank was an experience in a Leyland and will no doubt be remembered by many! We returned to the depot and returned onto the Tiger for the opposite trip to Newcastle, which was operated via the A19 route that would have been used by the Tigers when operating the X10 earlier in their lives.
All in all a superb day out and many thanks to the 2 lads who organised it!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
17 Nov 2013, 5:28 pm #17

Just on the train coming back from Newcastle after another bus trip organised by Stu Gray and Alex Kennedy.

We departed Worswick St bus station around 1040 and had a blast down the A1 before following the old X1 route in Tiger ESU110, formerly part of the Tees/United fleet. After arriving in Middlesbrough, we carried onto the Stagecarriage depot at Grangetown where we had a selection of treats laid on by the OM (Mr Atkin).
Dennis Condor G303FWC was first up as we set off along the A66 and A174, climbing up through Skelton to Lingdale for a photo opportunity (even the sun made an appearance!) before returning to the depot via Margrove and Guisborough.
Second bus out was (former GNE) Olympian R556LGH for a quick trip via South Bank and the Riverside Stadium to the Transporter Bridge for another photo stop, before returning to the depot once again for another vehicle change.
The third run of the day was aboard Leyland Olympian H651VVV, formerly part of the Stephensons of Easingwold fleet and once a Stagecoach vehicle. This trip took us via Redcar and Marske to Saltburn where a quick lunch stop for fish and chips enabled a quick break by the seaside! The return climb up Saltburn bank was an experience in a Leyland and will no doubt be remembered by many! We returned to the depot and returned onto the Tiger for the opposite trip to Newcastle, which was operated via the A19 route that would have been used by the Tigers when operating the X10 earlier in their lives.
All in all a superb day out and many thanks to the 2 lads who organised it!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

18 Nov 2013, 1:36 am #18
Well what i day i have had, was up at 5am this morning to go to dewsbury rally, i went down on Preserved Alexander PS R896 XVM from Kirkby near Liverpool, was a good laugh and a lot of my friends went aswell, once returned in liverpool me and one of my friends decided to do a round trip on the 79 service (Liverpool - Halewood - Liverpool) with a Driver friend, i then left my driver friend yo catch another driver friend to St Helens, the town i lived in, when we arrived in St Helens a drunk guy refused to get of the bus, bus station staff could not remove him from the bus so the police was called and the police man got him of with no issues. so i been awake a total of 20 hours 35 mins so far!
Terence Price
18 Nov 2013, 1:36 am #18

Well what i day i have had, was up at 5am this morning to go to dewsbury rally, i went down on Preserved Alexander PS R896 XVM from Kirkby near Liverpool, was a good laugh and a lot of my friends went aswell, once returned in liverpool me and one of my friends decided to do a round trip on the 79 service (Liverpool - Halewood - Liverpool) with a Driver friend, i then left my driver friend yo catch another driver friend to St Helens, the town i lived in, when we arrived in St Helens a drunk guy refused to get of the bus, bus station staff could not remove him from the bus so the police was called and the police man got him of with no issues. so i been awake a total of 20 hours 35 mins so far!

Andreos1

18 Nov 2013, 6:32 pm #19
Whey, seeing as though everyone else is doing it.
My adventures last Friday involved dropping my car off to be serviced in Durham - hopping on a 20 to Durham Bus Station and then an x21 to Framwellgate Moor so I could sort some stuff out.
A 21 to Chester followed, before getting a 78 home.

Needing to pick my car up, I navigated my way onto a 20a from Houghton after using the 4 and made the trip back to Durham.

Nowt exciting, nowt out of the ordinary on any of the vehicles - but made the most of my red and green ticket.
Each bus journey probably averaged out at £2.00 a pop at the very minimum - possibly nearer £3.00, so I reckon the company are out of pocket by a few quid compared to the money they would have made had I bought singles.
Edited 18 Nov 2013, 7:16 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
18 Nov 2013, 6:32 pm #19

Whey, seeing as though everyone else is doing it.
My adventures last Friday involved dropping my car off to be serviced in Durham - hopping on a 20 to Durham Bus Station and then an x21 to Framwellgate Moor so I could sort some stuff out.
A 21 to Chester followed, before getting a 78 home.

Needing to pick my car up, I navigated my way onto a 20a from Houghton after using the 4 and made the trip back to Durham.

Nowt exciting, nowt out of the ordinary on any of the vehicles - but made the most of my red and green ticket.
Each bus journey probably averaged out at £2.00 a pop at the very minimum - possibly nearer £3.00, so I reckon the company are out of pocket by a few quid compared to the money they would have made had I bought singles.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

20 Nov 2013, 3:17 pm #20
Over the years I've done many long distance day trips by bus. Mind I might have covered many miles in a small area, but I've done some really long distance trips in my time. Here are some of them, some sections were linked my trains which will be stated below.

Battle Hill - Newcastle - Carlisle - Galashiels - Edinburgh (Via Peebles) - Galashiels (X95) - Melrose - Galashiels - Berwick - Alnwick - Morpeth (Via Amble) - Newcastle - Rosehill

Largs - Ayr - Dumfries - Carlisle - Wallsend - Rosehill

Blackpool - Preston - Lancaster - Keswick - Carlisle - Newcastle

I've done numerous trips around the South East including one that took in the following places - Guildford, Aldershot, Camberley, Bracknall, Slough, & Wycombe

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
20 Nov 2013, 3:17 pm #20

Over the years I've done many long distance day trips by bus. Mind I might have covered many miles in a small area, but I've done some really long distance trips in my time. Here are some of them, some sections were linked my trains which will be stated below.

Battle Hill - Newcastle - Carlisle - Galashiels - Edinburgh (Via Peebles) - Galashiels (X95) - Melrose - Galashiels - Berwick - Alnwick - Morpeth (Via Amble) - Newcastle - Rosehill

Largs - Ayr - Dumfries - Carlisle - Wallsend - Rosehill

Blackpool - Preston - Lancaster - Keswick - Carlisle - Newcastle

I've done numerous trips around the South East including one that took in the following places - Guildford, Aldershot, Camberley, Bracknall, Slough, & Wycombe

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Pages (239): 1 2 3239 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average