Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239) Previous 1114 115 116239 Next
mb134

13 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm #2,281
(13 Mar 2015, 6:00 pm)MarcTheA4 So......who's looking forward to tomorrow? Big Grin

Looking forward to the review Wink 

Is anyone heading into Northumberland tomorrow? I'm out and about in Morpeth so I may see people if you're up that way Smile
mb134
13 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm #2,281

(13 Mar 2015, 6:00 pm)MarcTheA4 So......who's looking forward to tomorrow? Big Grin

Looking forward to the review Wink 

Is anyone heading into Northumberland tomorrow? I'm out and about in Morpeth so I may see people if you're up that way Smile

13 Mar 2015, 9:11 pm #2,282
Been reading the start of this thread, about people's experiences. May as well share a few I've experienced:

• I remember when I was young, my mam dropped me off at my grandad's for the day in Pelton while she went to work. We got the 778 down to Chester-le-Street, which most likely a Renown, and hopped on an Arriva bus to Durham. I just remember it being my very first journey on an Arriva bus, let alone to Durham. I recall it was a Delta, although I can barely remember them (wouldn't mind a ride on one now to see what they were actually like!) I remember sitting on the rather quiet bus with my grandad playing Rock, Paper, Scissors. Tongue

• Again, I was a little boy when this one happened, but I remember the old Stanley bus station very well. My mam and grandad had been to Asda for some shopping (my dad was at work, this was likely just after lunch) - and my grandad and me sat in the bus station while my mam sorted her shopping out. She came over when she was done, and I remember we raced her back down to my grandad's house - mam taking the car, grandad and me taking the 775 or 778 (was a Renown). Obviously, by the time we got off and walked back to his; she'd been parked on his drive for 15 minutes! Tongue

• Yet another memory from when I was at Nursery (used to spend Monday's with my grandad, Tuesday's with my grandma) - one morning, we missed the 08:50ish 778 down to Chester-le-Street, so we stood at the stop waiting for the next one. A Delta came down, and it was headed to the MetroCentre (sure that was it - I vividly remember my grandad bending down at the foot of the doors to tell me where it was going - can anyone elaborate on which service this was?) and if memory serves, another came down headed to Newcastle it was a Handybus. (Had to look that up, wouldn't have known otherwise! Tongue). Eventually got on either the 778 or 775 down. Wink

• Not with my grandad, but with my mam. She had a day off during the middle of the week, so instead of me going to my grandad's, that Monday we went to Newcastle. Hopped on a 21 from Chester-le-Street to (I think!) Pilgrim Street, did some shopping, and I acquired a handful of Mr. Men books!! Wink Sure the bus there was a Resident President (sorry, that's an awful pun), and what I remember most was on the way back, an Olympian of some sort - we sat at the front upstairs and she read me some of my Mr. Men books. haha

• Back to my grandad, one time we got the 778 all the way through to Sunderland. However, it was a National. I would have only been around 3 at the time, definitely still in Nursery. I just strongly remember that being a National, obviously didn't know at the time but after looking around - definitely a National. Had a bit of a wander around, then hopped on a 775 back about an hour later.

• Once ended up having an adventure to Newcastle with my grandad. Can't remember what the service number was, it was definitely a Delta, no doubt about it. Probably the 28/28A route back in the day of the 7xx numbers - 739/740 was it? Anyway, DAF on the way back Big Grin, then a few episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine to wash it down with after we got back to his house. Tongue

When I think back, I did so much with my grandad, and my mam and dad for that matter, as a little boy; that it often dawns on me that the person I am today, is because of how I was raised as a little one.

I'd say my grandad had a huge impact on the person I am today (bus enthusiast Big Grin) - and hopefully because of this, I'll end up being a good person when I'm older.

Happy memories...appreciate what you've got while you've still got it.
Edited 13 Mar 2015, 9:20 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
13 Mar 2015, 9:11 pm #2,282

Been reading the start of this thread, about people's experiences. May as well share a few I've experienced:

• I remember when I was young, my mam dropped me off at my grandad's for the day in Pelton while she went to work. We got the 778 down to Chester-le-Street, which most likely a Renown, and hopped on an Arriva bus to Durham. I just remember it being my very first journey on an Arriva bus, let alone to Durham. I recall it was a Delta, although I can barely remember them (wouldn't mind a ride on one now to see what they were actually like!) I remember sitting on the rather quiet bus with my grandad playing Rock, Paper, Scissors. Tongue

• Again, I was a little boy when this one happened, but I remember the old Stanley bus station very well. My mam and grandad had been to Asda for some shopping (my dad was at work, this was likely just after lunch) - and my grandad and me sat in the bus station while my mam sorted her shopping out. She came over when she was done, and I remember we raced her back down to my grandad's house - mam taking the car, grandad and me taking the 775 or 778 (was a Renown). Obviously, by the time we got off and walked back to his; she'd been parked on his drive for 15 minutes! Tongue

• Yet another memory from when I was at Nursery (used to spend Monday's with my grandad, Tuesday's with my grandma) - one morning, we missed the 08:50ish 778 down to Chester-le-Street, so we stood at the stop waiting for the next one. A Delta came down, and it was headed to the MetroCentre (sure that was it - I vividly remember my grandad bending down at the foot of the doors to tell me where it was going - can anyone elaborate on which service this was?) and if memory serves, another came down headed to Newcastle it was a Handybus. (Had to look that up, wouldn't have known otherwise! Tongue). Eventually got on either the 778 or 775 down. Wink

• Not with my grandad, but with my mam. She had a day off during the middle of the week, so instead of me going to my grandad's, that Monday we went to Newcastle. Hopped on a 21 from Chester-le-Street to (I think!) Pilgrim Street, did some shopping, and I acquired a handful of Mr. Men books!! Wink Sure the bus there was a Resident President (sorry, that's an awful pun), and what I remember most was on the way back, an Olympian of some sort - we sat at the front upstairs and she read me some of my Mr. Men books. haha

• Back to my grandad, one time we got the 778 all the way through to Sunderland. However, it was a National. I would have only been around 3 at the time, definitely still in Nursery. I just strongly remember that being a National, obviously didn't know at the time but after looking around - definitely a National. Had a bit of a wander around, then hopped on a 775 back about an hour later.

• Once ended up having an adventure to Newcastle with my grandad. Can't remember what the service number was, it was definitely a Delta, no doubt about it. Probably the 28/28A route back in the day of the 7xx numbers - 739/740 was it? Anyway, DAF on the way back Big Grin, then a few episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine to wash it down with after we got back to his house. Tongue

When I think back, I did so much with my grandad, and my mam and dad for that matter, as a little boy; that it often dawns on me that the person I am today, is because of how I was raised as a little one.

I'd say my grandad had a huge impact on the person I am today (bus enthusiast Big Grin) - and hopefully because of this, I'll end up being a good person when I'm older.

Happy memories...appreciate what you've got while you've still got it.

tyresmoke

13 Mar 2015, 9:55 pm #2,283
(12 Mar 2015, 7:11 pm)tyresmoke Well I decided to have a quick blast out today with a few targets in mind, and I got photos of all of them so I count it as a successful day! Just got home now but didn't go out til just before 10...

0948 Rimswell Shops - Stockton 13 17027
1006 Stockton - North Road Morrisons X66 4651
1043 North Road Morrisons - Darlington X66 4656
1105 Darlington - Neasham Road Matalan 13B 2503
1122 Neasham Road Matalan - Darlington 13B 2849
1140 Darlington - Richmond X26 4644
1323 Richmond - Darlington X26 4646
1400 Darlington - Bishop Auckland X1 1425
1520 Bishop Auckland - Ferryhill 56 2817
1557 Ferryhill - Darlington 7 1517
1750 Darlington - Stockton X66 4656
1832 Stockton - Malcolm Drive 59 22062

Very impressed with all of today's travelling, everything has been on time (more or less) and mostly of good quality. First time I've used the MAX Scanias on the X26/X27 and (since refurb) on the X66 and they're well suited to the role they have, the seats may look uncomfortable but they're really not, and the colour scheme looks worse on photos (I was very critical at first too!) but it's not as obvious when you're onboard. Glad to say they've spent some time screwing them together better too!

Easy to see why the 7 needs deckers too, not even a peak time one and the one I travelled on arrived at Ferryhill with standing passengers and disgorged about 12 college students so thankfully there was a bit more space after that!

Had to have a ride on 2503 before that disappears too, shame it wasn't on something more useful but it filled a gap before going to Richmond for lunchtime... Quite pleased to catch up with former Leven Dart SN06BRV on loan at Dales & District working the town service in Richmond, and Hodgsons sent one of the Darts I hadn't seen before on the 79 too. Shame the (Thursday only!) 79A wasn't something new for me, LDV Maxus W6BUS again.

Managed a shot of 2869 on the X59 to Leyburn (and onwards to Askrigg as svc 59) on the way home, even if it meant missing the 1725 X66 by seconds! That route will become a college days only contract service come April sadly! Shame because it gets decent loadings out of Darlington as far as I could see. That was my main focus today and thankfully managed it.

Worth mentioning that I've uploaded my photos of my day out now Wink
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N...9010151813

Highlights being the Richmond independents and the X59 (2869)

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
13 Mar 2015, 9:55 pm #2,283

(12 Mar 2015, 7:11 pm)tyresmoke Well I decided to have a quick blast out today with a few targets in mind, and I got photos of all of them so I count it as a successful day! Just got home now but didn't go out til just before 10...

0948 Rimswell Shops - Stockton 13 17027
1006 Stockton - North Road Morrisons X66 4651
1043 North Road Morrisons - Darlington X66 4656
1105 Darlington - Neasham Road Matalan 13B 2503
1122 Neasham Road Matalan - Darlington 13B 2849
1140 Darlington - Richmond X26 4644
1323 Richmond - Darlington X26 4646
1400 Darlington - Bishop Auckland X1 1425
1520 Bishop Auckland - Ferryhill 56 2817
1557 Ferryhill - Darlington 7 1517
1750 Darlington - Stockton X66 4656
1832 Stockton - Malcolm Drive 59 22062

Very impressed with all of today's travelling, everything has been on time (more or less) and mostly of good quality. First time I've used the MAX Scanias on the X26/X27 and (since refurb) on the X66 and they're well suited to the role they have, the seats may look uncomfortable but they're really not, and the colour scheme looks worse on photos (I was very critical at first too!) but it's not as obvious when you're onboard. Glad to say they've spent some time screwing them together better too!

Easy to see why the 7 needs deckers too, not even a peak time one and the one I travelled on arrived at Ferryhill with standing passengers and disgorged about 12 college students so thankfully there was a bit more space after that!

Had to have a ride on 2503 before that disappears too, shame it wasn't on something more useful but it filled a gap before going to Richmond for lunchtime... Quite pleased to catch up with former Leven Dart SN06BRV on loan at Dales & District working the town service in Richmond, and Hodgsons sent one of the Darts I hadn't seen before on the 79 too. Shame the (Thursday only!) 79A wasn't something new for me, LDV Maxus W6BUS again.

Managed a shot of 2869 on the X59 to Leyburn (and onwards to Askrigg as svc 59) on the way home, even if it meant missing the 1725 X66 by seconds! That route will become a college days only contract service come April sadly! Shame because it gets decent loadings out of Darlington as far as I could see. That was my main focus today and thankfully managed it.

Worth mentioning that I've uploaded my photos of my day out now Wink
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N...9010151813

Highlights being the Richmond independents and the X59 (2869)

Adrian

13 Mar 2015, 9:58 pm #2,284
(13 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm)mb134 Looking forward to the review Wink 

I was going to, should my day have went to plan. Something has come up and will take most of my morning up, so will just head through Newcastle in the PM I think.

I need to get my arse into gear, but not too worried, as I've a week off before Easter. I intend to have a long awaited trip over to Carlisle for then.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Mar 2015, 9:58 pm #2,284

(13 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm)mb134 Looking forward to the review Wink 

I was going to, should my day have went to plan. Something has come up and will take most of my morning up, so will just head through Newcastle in the PM I think.

I need to get my arse into gear, but not too worried, as I've a week off before Easter. I intend to have a long awaited trip over to Carlisle for then.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Jimmi

13 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm #2,285
(13 Mar 2015, 9:58 pm)aureolin I was going to, should my day have went to plan. Something has come up and will take most of my morning up, so will just head through Newcastle in the PM I think.

Think I was planning on doing Carlisle this month at some point, think it was originally next Saturday but may change it to another date so I can get some of the Leven Valley replacement services.

Can't remember anything though as all my plans where in my notes and calendar on my dead phone.

Seriously I have lost so many ideas for where to go and where to take photos which were all on that phone.

All I remember is Saturday March 28th will be Durham for a shot of the 128.
Jimmi
13 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm #2,285

(13 Mar 2015, 9:58 pm)aureolin I was going to, should my day have went to plan. Something has come up and will take most of my morning up, so will just head through Newcastle in the PM I think.

Think I was planning on doing Carlisle this month at some point, think it was originally next Saturday but may change it to another date so I can get some of the Leven Valley replacement services.

Can't remember anything though as all my plans where in my notes and calendar on my dead phone.

Seriously I have lost so many ideas for where to go and where to take photos which were all on that phone.

13 Mar 2015, 10:19 pm #2,286
(13 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm)Jimmi Think I was planning on doing Carlisle this month at some point, think it was originally next Saturday but may change it to another date so I can get some of the Leven Valley replacement services.

Will be riding that over the course of the day, so I may see you about! Smile
R852 PRG
13 Mar 2015, 10:19 pm #2,286

(13 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm)Jimmi Think I was planning on doing Carlisle this month at some point, think it was originally next Saturday but may change it to another date so I can get some of the Leven Valley replacement services.

Will be riding that over the course of the day, so I may see you about! Smile

Jimmi

13 Mar 2015, 10:33 pm #2,287
(13 Mar 2015, 10:19 pm)MarcTheA4 Will be riding that over the course of the day, so I may see you about! Smile

Maybe - I will probably get a photo up by Durham Rail Station.
Jimmi
13 Mar 2015, 10:33 pm #2,287

(13 Mar 2015, 10:19 pm)MarcTheA4 Will be riding that over the course of the day, so I may see you about! Smile

Maybe - I will probably get a photo up by Durham Rail Station.

13 Mar 2015, 10:34 pm #2,288
(13 Mar 2015, 10:33 pm)Jimmi Maybe - I will probably get a photo up by Durham Rail Station.

Going to try at Beamish Museum, less crowded, etc., and the coach park there would offer quite a few more photos.

Anything to make my Flickr look like I care about it! Tongue
R852 PRG
13 Mar 2015, 10:34 pm #2,288

(13 Mar 2015, 10:33 pm)Jimmi Maybe - I will probably get a photo up by Durham Rail Station.

Going to try at Beamish Museum, less crowded, etc., and the coach park there would offer quite a few more photos.

Anything to make my Flickr look like I care about it! Tongue

mb134

13 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm #2,289

May not have seen you (or anyone for that matter) anyway, as I've decided to get there for 9ish to do what I need to do, stupidly early on a Saturday morning Undecided
mb134
13 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm #2,289

May not have seen you (or anyone for that matter) anyway, as I've decided to get there for 9ish to do what I need to do, stupidly early on a Saturday morning Undecided

tyresmoke

13 Mar 2015, 10:53 pm #2,290

I keep meaning to go up into Weardale to Stanhope etc - probably best when the Wolsingham school buses are running to get the Olympians

tyresmoke
13 Mar 2015, 10:53 pm #2,290

I keep meaning to go up into Weardale to Stanhope etc - probably best when the Wolsingham school buses are running to get the Olympians

14 Mar 2015, 9:15 am #2,291
Well...lets hope the 09:34 #78 from Chester-le-Street to Sunderland (my stop: 09:40) is a Lime...

If you see me about at all, give me a shout. Smile
R852 PRG
14 Mar 2015, 9:15 am #2,291

Well...lets hope the 09:34 #78 from Chester-le-Street to Sunderland (my stop: 09:40) is a Lime...

If you see me about at all, give me a shout. Smile

14 Mar 2015, 4:58 pm #2,292
Review will be up by the end of tonight, absolutely exhausted after an excellent day out on an Explorer. 11 journeys in total, 8 Go North East buses, 2 T&W Metro hops and Northern Rail back to Sunderland from Newcastle.

Absolutely drained, but satisfied. Wink
Edited 14 Mar 2015, 4:58 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
14 Mar 2015, 4:58 pm #2,292

Review will be up by the end of tonight, absolutely exhausted after an excellent day out on an Explorer. 11 journeys in total, 8 Go North East buses, 2 T&W Metro hops and Northern Rail back to Sunderland from Newcastle.

14 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm #2,293
(14 Mar 2015, 4:58 pm)MarcTheA4 Review will be up by the end of tonight, absolutely exhausted after an excellent day out on an Explorer. 11 journeys in total, 8 Go North East buses, 2 T&W Metro hops and Northern Rail back to Sunderland from Newcastle.

Would have seen you today if I was at Newcastle lol
omnicity4659
14 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm #2,293

(14 Mar 2015, 4:58 pm)MarcTheA4 Review will be up by the end of tonight, absolutely exhausted after an excellent day out on an Explorer. 11 journeys in total, 8 Go North East buses, 2 T&W Metro hops and Northern Rail back to Sunderland from Newcastle.

Would have seen you today if I was at Newcastle lol

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm #2,294
Can't wait to hear what 4853 was like, Marcus!
Dan
14 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm #2,294

Can't wait to hear what 4853 was like, Marcus!

14 Mar 2015, 5:02 pm #2,295
(14 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm)Dan Can't wait to hear what 4853 was like, Marcus!

You've been chatting to citaro haven't you?
R852 PRG
14 Mar 2015, 5:02 pm #2,295

(14 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm)Dan Can't wait to hear what 4853 was like, Marcus!

You've been chatting to citaro haven't you?

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm #2,296
(14 Mar 2015, 5:02 pm)MarcTheA4 You've been chatting to citaro haven't you?
You're saying that as if I don't have access to all of the systems he does!
Dan
14 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm #2,296

(14 Mar 2015, 5:02 pm)MarcTheA4 You've been chatting to citaro haven't you?
You're saying that as if I don't have access to all of the systems he does!

14 Mar 2015, 5:04 pm #2,297
(14 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm)Dan You're saying that as if I don't have access to all of the systems he does!

Erm.........I forgot.
R852 PRG
14 Mar 2015, 5:04 pm #2,297

(14 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm)Dan You're saying that as if I don't have access to all of the systems he does!

Erm.........I forgot.

14 Mar 2015, 8:10 pm #2,298
Today's North East Explorer (£9.50) was a huge success, 11 journeys in total, but sadly in the midst of everything - just Northern Rail, the Tyne and Wear Metro and Go North East. Sadly no Arriva or Stagecoach to cater for those enthusiasts. But anyway, hopefully those of you who aren't catered for enjoy reading this. Smile

#78 - Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange - (09:43 --- 10:18) - Go North East 4853 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
After having a brief conversation after waking up at 08:30 this morning with a friend, I was informed that my chariot to Sunderland on the 78 would be a Lime branded Renown, namely 4853. Splendid! Had intended to get the 09:10 instead of the 09:40 after considering getting the Northern Rail service through to Newcastle (in hindsight, pleased I didn't!) - but after finding out it would be 4853, it now proved to be a win-win move. Got to my local stop on the Chester-le-Street to Sunderland route for 09:30, and a couple of minutes later, I noticed that Diamond Merc on the A167. Lucky I suppose, as I was texting someone at the time and wasn't looking in that direction. 

Anyway, (I'm great at getting off-topic haha), at 09:40 the 78 hadn't showed, but I remembered being told she was running 5 minutes late anyway, so not worries. 4853 showed up at 09:43, and I got my Explorer from the driver. Sat towards the rear just above the step, and noticed it was surprisingly busy this run. Normally no more than half a dozen on, there was 10 I counted. Not a major difference, but something you do notice! 4853 was a splendid ride into Sunderland, even if my seat was a bit squeaky and irritating. A great way to kick off the day, a soon to be gone Lime B10BLE!

Tyne and Wear Metro - Park Lane to Haymarket - (10:32 --- 11:07) - Metrocars 4005 & 4037
Walked down into the Metro, and as I walked down the stairs, heard a Metro departing. Damn it. An 11 minute wait on the freezing, cold platform was endured, before a Metro showed up. 4005 was leading the train, so I just sat down on the rather quiet train. Surprising, but enjoyable because usually at this time it begins to crowd up at Sunderland (in my experience anyway!) Enjoyed the journey, which I had a seat throughout the whole of. Things got really crowded up at Heworth and Pelaw, etc, but eventually things started to quieten down as we hit Gateshead, Central and Monument, and it was 50% full by the time I disembarked at Haymarket. Walked across into the Haymarket, and picked up a Chicken Bake to satisfy my hunger. Saw a few things, then spotted a Renown departing on a 43. Bit irritated, have never tried an Arriva Renown (as far as I recall) and that would have been a great opportunity, if only as far as the Regent Centre. Then made my way across to Eldon Square, and saw 4846 park up in the layover bays on a 32. Couldn't be arsed to wait, but then noticed a Renown on the Red Kites.

#46 - Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station to MetroCentre Interchange - (11:22 --- 11:43) - Go North East 4904 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
Hopped on the bus, with only 3 other people sitting ready for our departure. Sat at those seats above the first step towards the back (seems to be my main spot for the majority of single deckers!) and let the journey go by with ease. However, my seat squeaked, much worse than on 4853, and then disembarked as soon as we got to the MetroCentre. Was another nice ride on a B10BLE, but like I've said before, I don't think 4904 is very good. Quite slow and squeaky, not a personal favourite.

Had a bit of a scope around the MetroCentre's bus station, and didn't notice anything good. So I just decided to hop on the next bus back to Newcastle. Was hoping for a 100, but then noticed a TEN heading in, so just went with that.

#10B - MetroCentre Interchange to Newcastle, Eldon Square - (11:50 --- 12:09) - Go North East 6073 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
After a quick driver changeover, I boarded 6073 and made my way upstairs. Left-hand front seats were free, so I hit them and looked out the front. A pleasant ride into Newcastle, and after hitting a bit of traffic in the city centre, after no more than 20 minutes I hopped off in Eldon Square. Decent bus, haven't been on this one in a while now. Noticed the destination number was just normal, unlike the other examples I saw today, didn't look quite right haha. 

Made my way out of Eldon Square, and after walking down Blackett Street then Pilgrim Street, I saw a Saltwell Park Streetlite waiting. Great! That was one of the aims of the day, so this was something to tick off.

#54 - Newcastle, Market Street West to Gateshead Interchange - (12:16 --- 12:49) - Go North East 8341 - Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite
This is where I made a bit of a mistake. I'd reviewed the timetables prior to today, and knew the 53 was something like a 12 minute journey from here to Gateshead, but I was obviously in such a rush, I didn't check the service number. D'oh! Noticed something wasn't right when we didn't head towards Gateshead Interchange after crossing the River Tyne....ohhhh sh!t. Went around just about every part of Gateshead (it felt like it anyway!) but made it to Gateshead Interchange about 30 minutes after I got on. So, what is my verdict on these Saltwell Parks? Personally, aside from the tour and the crowded passenger numbers; I feel like this was an alright vehicle. The engine was noticeable and evident throughout the whole journey, which I found myself quite fascinated by (not being a regular user of these). Wouldn't mind another ride in the future. Just ensure I don't board a 54 in Newcastle for Gateshead, and vice-versa for the 53! haha

#27 - Gateshead Interchange to Heworth Metro Station - (12:51 --- 13:04) - Go North East 5317 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Headed across from the 54 to the other side of the interchange, planning on getting on the first bus I could see for Heworth. Noticed a 57 at the top, but didn't want to chance it and just played it safe by hopping on the Crusader in front of me. Rather quiet, no more than a dozen people on. Hit my regular choice of seats and waited for the journey to go by. When we got to Gateshead High Street, a trio of kids got on; two girls - one boy. Boy gets on and asks ''for a 90'' followed by one girl who did the same. However, one couldn't find her return ticket amongst her bags, and after a minute, the driver just abandoned ship and drove off...PAHAHAHA...me being the cynic I am, I found this most amusing. 

Anyway, we got to Heworth and I disembarked. It was rather busy, I assume a Metro had just come through, so I had a bit of a walk around looking for any opportunity for a photograph. Citylink 5388 was in the layover having worked a 58 in, and then made my way across to the other side of the interchange. A Connections 4 Merc was heading in from Houghton-le-Spring, and I decided to get that to Washington, then an X1 back across the river. 

#4 - Heworth Metro Station to Washington, The Galleries Bus Station - (13:11 --- 13:33) - Go North East 5358 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Second Citaro of the day, and I sat at that favourite spot on any full-sized single decker. As I walked up the aisle, I noticed something, so I may as well strike a debate - does anyone think Citaros are really dark inside? I think they are, to be honest. But, anyway, I sank into my seat; and noticed how comfy it was! Despite the 4 running quite near me, I'm a rare user myself. Last time I was on one was back in January, and I sat at the very front left-hand seat, absolutely killed my backside. Whereas these seats in the main part of the interior were really plushy and comfortable, I loved it! Definitely going to try another ride on one next week while I'm out. Things started to fill up after Concord, and there were standees by the time we got to Washington. Lovely 20-odd minute journey!

#X1 - Washington, The Galleries Bus Station to Gateshead Interchange - (13:45 --- 14:10) - Go North East 6050 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
Waited for the 13:34 #X1 for Newcastle, and it was a no-show! Hung around, as there was no other way to get back to Newcastle in order to catch my Northern service to Sunderland at 14:30. Eventually, two Red Arrows B9s came into sight, and one stopped down at the bottom to set down passengers. The huge queue that formed due to the 13:34 not turning up led to the chance of me standing. But, I did manage to sit at one of the foldy thingy seats for the journey. Because of the delay, this meant I would have to bail at Gateshead. Always had my eye on my watch, so didn't make many notes on the journey and the bus. 

After hopping off at Gateshead, I made my way down to the Metro station. Perfectly timed, just as I got down to platform level, I heard the rumbling of a Metro drawing close. 

Tyne and Wear Metro - Gateshead to Central Station - (14:13 --- 14:15) - Metrocars 4015 & 4032
Got on, and was relieved that I wouldn't be missing my Northern Rail back to Sunderland. Not many comments to make, just a couple of minutes on it. Stood up against that little bit for you to rest against (think regular users will know what I mean) and just played Crossy Road for a bit. hehe

Hopped off, and made my way out of platform level and up the escalators. I can't help but feel that Haymarket, Central, etc, feel a lot like Tube station (with the massive escalators, etc)...lol, just a random comment to give this bit a little something to say for itself. I walked across to the other side after entering the station, and took a photo of the Thunderbird 67 in it's siding (67003 I think?) - will upload it later, the only decent photo I took today! 

2N30 - Newcastle Central Station to Sunderland Station - (14:25 --- 14:54) - Northern Rail 142089 - Class 142 ''Pacer'' Diesel Multiple Unit
Noticed my Nunthorpe-bound Northern train pulling in on Platform 5, and went over as it stopped at 14:24. After waiting in the queue to board, I got on and got myself a seat in the middle of the rear carriage. Heating was brilliant, and I was just waiting for for us to depart to be honest! As we slowly crept out of Platform 5, and we rounded the bend, I noticed a 66 on Freight, damn! Would have been a good photo...but then I noticed the screams as we crossed the points and rounded the bend. Dear me, absolute ear-rape!! Tried to block it out with my earphones, but I could still hear it. People were wincing with pain at the noise! Got quite bad around Heworth too! Safe to say I was relieved when we got to Sunderland!

Walked out of the station, and found myself on the streets of Sunderland. 10 minutes until my 78 home left Park Lane, help! Followed any signs, and got to Park Lane c.15:03. Quickly nipped into Gregg's for something, then made my way across to the Lime's stand. 

#78 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground - (15:09 --- 15:48) - Go North East 4896 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
With no bus in sight, I had finally made it for my final journey of the day. Saw a red Volvo enter the bus station, and noticed it's destination set for the 78 to Consett. Ahhhhh...4896 as well! Not a bad bus out of the former Lime batch. No squeaky seats either! Pleasant ride back home, with some lovely views with the sun shining a bit too! 

Got to my local stop, and got off. Walked back through the housing estate, and paid a visit to my grandma's house to drop off a leaflet on the diversions. Informed her of my little stand towards the girls in my tutor group, and made my way back along to mine. Got in the house around 16:40ish. 

Thanks for reading!! Smile Please like for more next week.

Marcus
Edited 14 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
14 Mar 2015, 8:10 pm #2,298

Today's North East Explorer (£9.50) was a huge success, 11 journeys in total, but sadly in the midst of everything - just Northern Rail, the Tyne and Wear Metro and Go North East. Sadly no Arriva or Stagecoach to cater for those enthusiasts. But anyway, hopefully those of you who aren't catered for enjoy reading this. Smile

#78 - Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange - (09:43 --- 10:18) - Go North East 4853 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
After having a brief conversation after waking up at 08:30 this morning with a friend, I was informed that my chariot to Sunderland on the 78 would be a Lime branded Renown, namely 4853. Splendid! Had intended to get the 09:10 instead of the 09:40 after considering getting the Northern Rail service through to Newcastle (in hindsight, pleased I didn't!) - but after finding out it would be 4853, it now proved to be a win-win move. Got to my local stop on the Chester-le-Street to Sunderland route for 09:30, and a couple of minutes later, I noticed that Diamond Merc on the A167. Lucky I suppose, as I was texting someone at the time and wasn't looking in that direction. 

Anyway, (I'm great at getting off-topic haha), at 09:40 the 78 hadn't showed, but I remembered being told she was running 5 minutes late anyway, so not worries. 4853 showed up at 09:43, and I got my Explorer from the driver. Sat towards the rear just above the step, and noticed it was surprisingly busy this run. Normally no more than half a dozen on, there was 10 I counted. Not a major difference, but something you do notice! 4853 was a splendid ride into Sunderland, even if my seat was a bit squeaky and irritating. A great way to kick off the day, a soon to be gone Lime B10BLE!

Tyne and Wear Metro - Park Lane to Haymarket - (10:32 --- 11:07) - Metrocars 4005 & 4037
Walked down into the Metro, and as I walked down the stairs, heard a Metro departing. Damn it. An 11 minute wait on the freezing, cold platform was endured, before a Metro showed up. 4005 was leading the train, so I just sat down on the rather quiet train. Surprising, but enjoyable because usually at this time it begins to crowd up at Sunderland (in my experience anyway!) Enjoyed the journey, which I had a seat throughout the whole of. Things got really crowded up at Heworth and Pelaw, etc, but eventually things started to quieten down as we hit Gateshead, Central and Monument, and it was 50% full by the time I disembarked at Haymarket. Walked across into the Haymarket, and picked up a Chicken Bake to satisfy my hunger. Saw a few things, then spotted a Renown departing on a 43. Bit irritated, have never tried an Arriva Renown (as far as I recall) and that would have been a great opportunity, if only as far as the Regent Centre. Then made my way across to Eldon Square, and saw 4846 park up in the layover bays on a 32. Couldn't be arsed to wait, but then noticed a Renown on the Red Kites.

#46 - Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station to MetroCentre Interchange - (11:22 --- 11:43) - Go North East 4904 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
Hopped on the bus, with only 3 other people sitting ready for our departure. Sat at those seats above the first step towards the back (seems to be my main spot for the majority of single deckers!) and let the journey go by with ease. However, my seat squeaked, much worse than on 4853, and then disembarked as soon as we got to the MetroCentre. Was another nice ride on a B10BLE, but like I've said before, I don't think 4904 is very good. Quite slow and squeaky, not a personal favourite.

Had a bit of a scope around the MetroCentre's bus station, and didn't notice anything good. So I just decided to hop on the next bus back to Newcastle. Was hoping for a 100, but then noticed a TEN heading in, so just went with that.

#10B - MetroCentre Interchange to Newcastle, Eldon Square - (11:50 --- 12:09) - Go North East 6073 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
After a quick driver changeover, I boarded 6073 and made my way upstairs. Left-hand front seats were free, so I hit them and looked out the front. A pleasant ride into Newcastle, and after hitting a bit of traffic in the city centre, after no more than 20 minutes I hopped off in Eldon Square. Decent bus, haven't been on this one in a while now. Noticed the destination number was just normal, unlike the other examples I saw today, didn't look quite right haha. 

Made my way out of Eldon Square, and after walking down Blackett Street then Pilgrim Street, I saw a Saltwell Park Streetlite waiting. Great! That was one of the aims of the day, so this was something to tick off.

#54 - Newcastle, Market Street West to Gateshead Interchange - (12:16 --- 12:49) - Go North East 8341 - Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite
This is where I made a bit of a mistake. I'd reviewed the timetables prior to today, and knew the 53 was something like a 12 minute journey from here to Gateshead, but I was obviously in such a rush, I didn't check the service number. D'oh! Noticed something wasn't right when we didn't head towards Gateshead Interchange after crossing the River Tyne....ohhhh sh!t. Went around just about every part of Gateshead (it felt like it anyway!) but made it to Gateshead Interchange about 30 minutes after I got on. So, what is my verdict on these Saltwell Parks? Personally, aside from the tour and the crowded passenger numbers; I feel like this was an alright vehicle. The engine was noticeable and evident throughout the whole journey, which I found myself quite fascinated by (not being a regular user of these). Wouldn't mind another ride in the future. Just ensure I don't board a 54 in Newcastle for Gateshead, and vice-versa for the 53! haha

#27 - Gateshead Interchange to Heworth Metro Station - (12:51 --- 13:04) - Go North East 5317 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Headed across from the 54 to the other side of the interchange, planning on getting on the first bus I could see for Heworth. Noticed a 57 at the top, but didn't want to chance it and just played it safe by hopping on the Crusader in front of me. Rather quiet, no more than a dozen people on. Hit my regular choice of seats and waited for the journey to go by. When we got to Gateshead High Street, a trio of kids got on; two girls - one boy. Boy gets on and asks ''for a 90'' followed by one girl who did the same. However, one couldn't find her return ticket amongst her bags, and after a minute, the driver just abandoned ship and drove off...PAHAHAHA...me being the cynic I am, I found this most amusing. 

Anyway, we got to Heworth and I disembarked. It was rather busy, I assume a Metro had just come through, so I had a bit of a walk around looking for any opportunity for a photograph. Citylink 5388 was in the layover having worked a 58 in, and then made my way across to the other side of the interchange. A Connections 4 Merc was heading in from Houghton-le-Spring, and I decided to get that to Washington, then an X1 back across the river. 

#4 - Heworth Metro Station to Washington, The Galleries Bus Station - (13:11 --- 13:33) - Go North East 5358 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Second Citaro of the day, and I sat at that favourite spot on any full-sized single decker. As I walked up the aisle, I noticed something, so I may as well strike a debate - does anyone think Citaros are really dark inside? I think they are, to be honest. But, anyway, I sank into my seat; and noticed how comfy it was! Despite the 4 running quite near me, I'm a rare user myself. Last time I was on one was back in January, and I sat at the very front left-hand seat, absolutely killed my backside. Whereas these seats in the main part of the interior were really plushy and comfortable, I loved it! Definitely going to try another ride on one next week while I'm out. Things started to fill up after Concord, and there were standees by the time we got to Washington. Lovely 20-odd minute journey!

#X1 - Washington, The Galleries Bus Station to Gateshead Interchange - (13:45 --- 14:10) - Go North East 6050 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
Waited for the 13:34 #X1 for Newcastle, and it was a no-show! Hung around, as there was no other way to get back to Newcastle in order to catch my Northern service to Sunderland at 14:30. Eventually, two Red Arrows B9s came into sight, and one stopped down at the bottom to set down passengers. The huge queue that formed due to the 13:34 not turning up led to the chance of me standing. But, I did manage to sit at one of the foldy thingy seats for the journey. Because of the delay, this meant I would have to bail at Gateshead. Always had my eye on my watch, so didn't make many notes on the journey and the bus. 

After hopping off at Gateshead, I made my way down to the Metro station. Perfectly timed, just as I got down to platform level, I heard the rumbling of a Metro drawing close. 

Tyne and Wear Metro - Gateshead to Central Station - (14:13 --- 14:15) - Metrocars 4015 & 4032
Got on, and was relieved that I wouldn't be missing my Northern Rail back to Sunderland. Not many comments to make, just a couple of minutes on it. Stood up against that little bit for you to rest against (think regular users will know what I mean) and just played Crossy Road for a bit. hehe

Hopped off, and made my way out of platform level and up the escalators. I can't help but feel that Haymarket, Central, etc, feel a lot like Tube station (with the massive escalators, etc)...lol, just a random comment to give this bit a little something to say for itself. I walked across to the other side after entering the station, and took a photo of the Thunderbird 67 in it's siding (67003 I think?) - will upload it later, the only decent photo I took today! 

2N30 - Newcastle Central Station to Sunderland Station - (14:25 --- 14:54) - Northern Rail 142089 - Class 142 ''Pacer'' Diesel Multiple Unit
Noticed my Nunthorpe-bound Northern train pulling in on Platform 5, and went over as it stopped at 14:24. After waiting in the queue to board, I got on and got myself a seat in the middle of the rear carriage. Heating was brilliant, and I was just waiting for for us to depart to be honest! As we slowly crept out of Platform 5, and we rounded the bend, I noticed a 66 on Freight, damn! Would have been a good photo...but then I noticed the screams as we crossed the points and rounded the bend. Dear me, absolute ear-rape!! Tried to block it out with my earphones, but I could still hear it. People were wincing with pain at the noise! Got quite bad around Heworth too! Safe to say I was relieved when we got to Sunderland!

Walked out of the station, and found myself on the streets of Sunderland. 10 minutes until my 78 home left Park Lane, help! Followed any signs, and got to Park Lane c.15:03. Quickly nipped into Gregg's for something, then made my way across to the Lime's stand. 

#78 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground - (15:09 --- 15:48) - Go North East 4896 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
With no bus in sight, I had finally made it for my final journey of the day. Saw a red Volvo enter the bus station, and noticed it's destination set for the 78 to Consett. Ahhhhh...4896 as well! Not a bad bus out of the former Lime batch. No squeaky seats either! Pleasant ride back home, with some lovely views with the sun shining a bit too! 

Got to my local stop, and got off. Walked back through the housing estate, and paid a visit to my grandma's house to drop off a leaflet on the diversions. Informed her of my little stand towards the girls in my tutor group, and made my way back along to mine. Got in the house around 16:40ish. 

Thanks for reading!! Smile Please like for more next week.

Marcus

Davie

Banned

14 Mar 2015, 8:53 pm #2,299
I love your reviews, Marcus
Davie
14 Mar 2015, 8:53 pm #2,299

I love your reviews, Marcus

14 Mar 2015, 8:55 pm #2,300
(14 Mar 2015, 8:53 pm)Davie I love your reviews, Marcus

Thanks.
R852 PRG