Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Branding

Branding

Branding

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (7): Previous 15 6 7 Next
idiot

08 Jan 2019, 1:59 pm #101
What a farce branding is at the moment! Lol. I
idiot
08 Jan 2019, 1:59 pm #101

What a farce branding is at the moment! Lol. I

Michael

08 Jan 2019, 5:22 pm #102
(08 Jan 2019, 1:59 pm)idiot What a farce branding is at the moment! Lol. I

How?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Jan 2019, 5:22 pm #102

(08 Jan 2019, 1:59 pm)idiot What a farce branding is at the moment! Lol. I

How?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

idiot

08 Jan 2019, 6:43 pm #103
Because of arriva strike.
idiot
08 Jan 2019, 6:43 pm #103

Because of arriva strike.

Adrian

08 Jan 2019, 9:05 pm #104
(08 Jan 2019, 6:43 pm)idiot Because of arriva strike.

Its exceptional circumstances. They're going to put as much capacity out with as little resource as possible.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
08 Jan 2019, 9:05 pm #104

(08 Jan 2019, 6:43 pm)idiot Because of arriva strike.

Its exceptional circumstances. They're going to put as much capacity out with as little resource as possible.

idiot

08 Jan 2019, 10:09 pm #105
Just another example of how it doesn't work.
idiot
08 Jan 2019, 10:09 pm #105

Just another example of how it doesn't work.

RobinHood

11 Jan 2019, 2:21 pm #106
(08 Jan 2019, 10:09 pm)idiot Just another example of how it doesn't work.

Or... A cycling of the buses each day to ensure as many different vehicles as possible are given some run time - in an effort to avoid problems come Monday morning.

I don't think anyone at Arriva is bothered about branding at the minute.

Nobody will go to brand their fleet, then step back and say "hang on, what if we go on strike?".

Really?
RobinHood
11 Jan 2019, 2:21 pm #106

(08 Jan 2019, 10:09 pm)idiot Just another example of how it doesn't work.

Or... A cycling of the buses each day to ensure as many different vehicles as possible are given some run time - in an effort to avoid problems come Monday morning.

I don't think anyone at Arriva is bothered about branding at the minute.

Nobody will go to brand their fleet, then step back and say "hang on, what if we go on strike?".

Really?

Andreos1

02 May 2019, 6:21 pm #107
Dunno about anyone else, but I've been watching the BBC series 'a house in time'.
Canny little programme, but this series has been focusing on a house just off Westgate Road.

The production team have shown quite a bit of modern Newcastle and inevitably, buses have appeared quite a bit across the city.

ANE and SNE have had quite a lot of free advertising. 
If I was an outsider looking in, I'd have no idea there was a GNE prescence. There was a hotch potch of multicoloured buses tootling back and forth, but not sure who runs them. An independent perhaps? An ANE or SNE division?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
02 May 2019, 6:21 pm #107

Dunno about anyone else, but I've been watching the BBC series 'a house in time'.
Canny little programme, but this series has been focusing on a house just off Westgate Road.

The production team have shown quite a bit of modern Newcastle and inevitably, buses have appeared quite a bit across the city.

If I was an outsider looking in, I'd have no idea there was a GNE prescence. There was a hotch potch of multicoloured buses tootling back and forth, but not sure who runs them. An independent perhaps? An ANE or SNE division?

12 Jan 2020, 6:22 pm #108
(02 May 2019, 6:21 pm)Andreos1 Dunno about anyone else, but I've been watching the BBC series 'a house in time'.

Branding or not is certainly an interesting debate and I have long been conflicted about whether I like identity branding like GNE, uniform branding like Stagecoach or uniform livery with sub-branding like Arriva. There are of course exceptions too, GNE has a corporate livery, Stagecoach introduced a green livery for their hybrids and has long had a Metrocentre brand for the 100 shuttle and more recently the 
6/7. Arriva also has different liveries such as Coastliner, the NHS and Quorum Solos, the purple/grey livery and older and newer corporate liveries. Independents largely have a uniform livery, Stanley Travel white and blue with or without red, GCT using the Nexus Bus livery of grey and red, A-Line either white or grey and pink. Uniform/corporate branding is certainly more instantly recognisable and consistent.  Identities like with GNE are iconic, for example Quaylink has long been the iconic yellow for running around the Quayside, and can be useful 'Tynedale/Tyne Valley', 'Quaylink', 'Cobalt and Coast/Coaster/Little Coasters', relevant to a service or area served 'Red Kite, Angel, Black Cats ' but can also be daft 'The 9/The 49, Connection4, Fab 56, City Link 57/58, Toon Link, Green/Blue Arrow' etc.

Consistent branding is a good compromise, like we are seeing now with the new and refreshed identities like Cobalt & Coast, Little Coasters, Green Arrow, and X-lines. 

Thoughts?

OrangeArrow49
12 Jan 2020, 6:22 pm #108

(02 May 2019, 6:21 pm)Andreos1 Dunno about anyone else, but I've been watching the BBC series 'a house in time'.

Branding or not is certainly an interesting debate and I have long been conflicted about whether I like identity branding like GNE, uniform branding like Stagecoach or uniform livery with sub-branding like Arriva. There are of course exceptions too, GNE has a corporate livery, Stagecoach introduced a green livery for their hybrids and has long had a Metrocentre brand for the 100 shuttle and more recently the 
6/7. Arriva also has different liveries such as Coastliner, the NHS and Quorum Solos, the purple/grey livery and older and newer corporate liveries. Independents largely have a uniform livery, Stanley Travel white and blue with or without red, GCT using the Nexus Bus livery of grey and red, A-Line either white or grey and pink. Uniform/corporate branding is certainly more instantly recognisable and consistent.  Identities like with GNE are iconic, for example Quaylink has long been the iconic yellow for running around the Quayside, and can be useful 'Tynedale/Tyne Valley', 'Quaylink', 'Cobalt and Coast/Coaster/Little Coasters', relevant to a service or area served 'Red Kite, Angel, Black Cats ' but can also be daft 'The 9/The 49, Connection4, Fab 56, City Link 57/58, Toon Link, Green/Blue Arrow' etc.

Consistent branding is a good compromise, like we are seeing now with the new and refreshed identities like Cobalt & Coast, Little Coasters, Green Arrow, and X-lines. 

Thoughts?

12 Jan 2020, 8:48 pm #109
(12 Jan 2020, 6:22 pm)OrangeArrow49

Thoughts?

I like the approach that GNE are taking.

I personally find Stagecoach boring, I don't even see their buses driving through Newcastle anymore, they just blend in. (maybe that's why they keep having 'incidents'!)

I like the idea behind Arriva's, but as with everything they do, the execution just hasn't worked. What is the difference between MAX and Sapphire? Wasn't Sapphire supposed to be posh with dedicated drivers and uniform? Are MAX routes express? What even is Arriva's current livery?!

While we are losing some good brands, I think simplifying the branding is a good idea. I'm really coming round to X-Lines! I'm not a fan of Cobalt and Coast, it just seems a bit half-arsed to me. But I do like Little Coasters and Green Arrows, they're bright but not over the top (like Fab 56!)

What I would like to see is something like X-Lines but for the more urban routes.
So basically, what I'm saying is GNE should just take what Arriva did with MAX and Sapphire, but put effort into making them good!
streetdeckfan
12 Jan 2020, 8:48 pm #109

Thoughts?

I like the approach that GNE are taking.

I personally find Stagecoach boring, I don't even see their buses driving through Newcastle anymore, they just blend in. (maybe that's why they keep having 'incidents'!)

I like the idea behind Arriva's, but as with everything they do, the execution just hasn't worked. What is the difference between MAX and Sapphire? Wasn't Sapphire supposed to be posh with dedicated drivers and uniform? Are MAX routes express? What even is Arriva's current livery?!

While we are losing some good brands, I think simplifying the branding is a good idea. I'm really coming round to X-Lines! I'm not a fan of Cobalt and Coast, it just seems a bit half-arsed to me. But I do like Little Coasters and Green Arrows, they're bright but not over the top (like Fab 56!)

What I would like to see is something like X-Lines but for the more urban routes.
So basically, what I'm saying is GNE should just take what Arriva did with MAX and Sapphire, but put effort into making them good!

Andreos1

13 Jan 2020, 10:28 am #110

Thoughts?

Forgetting whether an express is actually an express or not, I do like the consistent approach which is being taken on that particular type of route.
I do like the consistency there. 
Whether that consistency ties in with the overall corporate identity - I'm not sure.

Ive voiced my opinions on the brand names many a time and it hasn't changed at all.

Andreos1
13 Jan 2020, 10:28 am #110

Thoughts?

Forgetting whether an express is actually an express or not, I do like the consistent approach which is being taken on that particular type of route.
I do like the consistency there. 
Whether that consistency ties in with the overall corporate identity - I'm not sure.

Ive voiced my opinions on the brand names many a time and it hasn't changed at all.

Storx

13 Jan 2020, 10:43 am #111
Personally I prefer Stagecoach's approach where every route is treat the same bar a few gold routes which are longer routes where you're expected to be on the bus for longer travel times.

Once you start doing stuff like the X Lines and Sapphire you end up having a mixed image imo. By this I mean that some bus routes are treat like a special route and get all the attention yet if you don't live on one of these routes you end up with nothing and usually resultingly: older buses, no features, no special fares (more expensive), crap service, bad / no evening service.

By using Stagecoach's approach everyone is treat the same, no special route fares, all buses are the same (okay newer ones might have NSA etc) so it gives off a uniform brand across the board. GNE for example if you live in Birtley you have the 21: new buses, much cheaper, 15 minute service, direct to Newcastle. Live 5 minutes West in Ouston you have the 28: older buses, expensive, no evening service til recently, goes around the world, .

That's just my opinion though.
Storx
13 Jan 2020, 10:43 am #111

Personally I prefer Stagecoach's approach where every route is treat the same bar a few gold routes which are longer routes where you're expected to be on the bus for longer travel times.

Once you start doing stuff like the X Lines and Sapphire you end up having a mixed image imo. By this I mean that some bus routes are treat like a special route and get all the attention yet if you don't live on one of these routes you end up with nothing and usually resultingly: older buses, no features, no special fares (more expensive), crap service, bad / no evening service.

By using Stagecoach's approach everyone is treat the same, no special route fares, all buses are the same (okay newer ones might have NSA etc) so it gives off a uniform brand across the board. GNE for example if you live in Birtley you have the 21: new buses, much cheaper, 15 minute service, direct to Newcastle. Live 5 minutes West in Ouston you have the 28: older buses, expensive, no evening service til recently, goes around the world, .

That's just my opinion though.

ne14ne1

25 Jul 2020, 9:17 pm #112
What’s the story with the Green Arrows brand?
I guess when the Red Arrows brand came on the scene it was an express route with red buses so they named them after the red arrow planes - something the majority of people are aware of have connotations to speed and something quite cool and impressive.
But then Green Arrows popped up, followed by Blue Arrows(?) - back then GNE just seemed to want to brand everything, so they probably changed the colour on the fill tool to easily reuse an existing design & bang, another route branded. Okay, fair enough.

However now in the new era, if you will, where they’ve realised a corporate identity and house style would be beneficial and look more professional, Im curious to why they felt the need to maintain the Green Arrows brand.
I don’t use the route but can’t work out any local link to the name, (unlike when it was The Highwayman), and Whickham & Lobley Hill don’t exactly have other operators serving them that GNE needed to stand out from & compete with.

Since the enviro200MMCs arrived in the latest variation of Green Arrow livery I couldn’t help but wonder why they bothered keeping the brand in the first place, then why use an amateurish looking font, in a colour that doesn’t really contrast enough from its background to be easily read from a distance, and why the road strips didn’t stand out much either - which were the one thing that was supposed to make it easily recognisable as a GNE bus.

Just my opinion of course and everyone has their own tastes. I know many of you love the Green Arrows.

Thoughts?
ne14ne1
25 Jul 2020, 9:17 pm #112

What’s the story with the Green Arrows brand?
I guess when the Red Arrows brand came on the scene it was an express route with red buses so they named them after the red arrow planes - something the majority of people are aware of have connotations to speed and something quite cool and impressive.
But then Green Arrows popped up, followed by Blue Arrows(?) - back then GNE just seemed to want to brand everything, so they probably changed the colour on the fill tool to easily reuse an existing design & bang, another route branded. Okay, fair enough.

However now in the new era, if you will, where they’ve realised a corporate identity and house style would be beneficial and look more professional, Im curious to why they felt the need to maintain the Green Arrows brand.
I don’t use the route but can’t work out any local link to the name, (unlike when it was The Highwayman), and Whickham & Lobley Hill don’t exactly have other operators serving them that GNE needed to stand out from & compete with.

Since the enviro200MMCs arrived in the latest variation of Green Arrow livery I couldn’t help but wonder why they bothered keeping the brand in the first place, then why use an amateurish looking font, in a colour that doesn’t really contrast enough from its background to be easily read from a distance, and why the road strips didn’t stand out much either - which were the one thing that was supposed to make it easily recognisable as a GNE bus.

Just my opinion of course and everyone has their own tastes. I know many of you love the Green Arrows.

Thoughts?

Andreos1

26 Jul 2020, 11:16 am #113
(25 Jul 2020, 9:17 pm)ne14ne1 What’s the story with the Green Arrows brand?

Thoughts?

Don't forget the Silver version used on the 2A and C between Washington and Sunderland.

I think the red version was 'inspired' by the service in Nottingham.
Coaches - tick
Two major regional cities - tick
Express/limited stop along fast roads - tick

Then the others came along like you say, in addition to the red colour scheme being rolled out on two other 'via Washington' expresses. You could be right about that template/colour scheme! Blue, green, silver and the other red incarnations certainly didn't tick the boxes the original X2 (or its equivalent in Nottingham) did.

Andreos1
26 Jul 2020, 11:16 am #113

(25 Jul 2020, 9:17 pm)ne14ne1 What’s the story with the Green Arrows brand?

Thoughts?

Don't forget the Silver version used on the 2A and C between Washington and Sunderland.

Coaches - tick

Then the others came along like you say, in addition to the red colour scheme being rolled out on two other 'via Washington' expresses. You could be right about that template/colour scheme! Blue, green, silver and the other red incarnations certainly didn't tick the boxes the original X2 (or its equivalent in Nottingham) did.

ne14ne1

27 Jul 2020, 8:31 am #114
(26 Jul 2020, 11:16 am)Andreos1 Don't forget the Silver version used on the 2A and C between Washington and Sunderland.

Coaches - tick

Yes, I forgot about the Silver version too.

In fact as Red Arrows was destined for the chop because of Xlines, I'd say there was even less reason to keep the Green Arrow brand. Oh well.
ne14ne1
27 Jul 2020, 8:31 am #114

(26 Jul 2020, 11:16 am)Andreos1 Don't forget the Silver version used on the 2A and C between Washington and Sunderland.

Coaches - tick

Yes, I forgot about the Silver version too.

In fact as Red Arrows was destined for the chop because of Xlines, I'd say there was even less reason to keep the Green Arrow brand. Oh well.

Ambassador

27 Jul 2020, 8:44 am #115
It's nice to see branding has moved on since the days of the Star Trek inspired Stanley Shuttle (which considering the route wasn't really a shuttle and in an era where anything and everything was branded)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stagecoachuk/14228803417/

I did quite enjoy the Washington Street Shuttle branding, purely for the subtle nod to it's American links.

Personally 'Pink Angel' was my least favourite - possibly due to the Omnicities that run the route and just the garish nature of it.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
27 Jul 2020, 8:44 am #115

It's nice to see branding has moved on since the days of the Star Trek inspired Stanley Shuttle (which considering the route wasn't really a shuttle and in an era where anything and everything was branded)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stagecoachuk/14228803417/

I did quite enjoy the Washington Street Shuttle branding, purely for the subtle nod to it's American links.

Personally 'Pink Angel' was my least favourite - possibly due to the Omnicities that run the route and just the garish nature of it.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Andreos1

10 Oct 2020, 6:04 pm #116
https://twitter.com/BusManual/status/131...60833?s=19

The contsant state of flux with branding and various liveries isn't just a new thing!

A really good read.

Andreos1
10 Oct 2020, 6:04 pm #116

https://twitter.com/BusManual/status/131...60833?s=19

The contsant state of flux with branding and various liveries isn't just a new thing!

A really good read.

Andreos1

13 Jul 2021, 12:30 pm #117
https://twitter.com/BusAndTrainUser/stat...49474?s=19

Services with desirable localised branding seems to be what Mr French is in favour of.
Not the uniform designs that Arriva and Stagecoach use. 

I hope the irony isn't lost on anyone else, 'cos the sycophants on his twitter seem to have missed it.

Andreos1
13 Jul 2021, 12:30 pm #117

https://twitter.com/BusAndTrainUser/stat...49474?s=19

Services with desirable localised branding seems to be what Mr French is in favour of.

I hope the irony isn't lost on anyone else, 'cos the sycophants on his twitter seem to have missed it.

mb134

13 Jul 2021, 12:58 pm #118
(13 Jul 2021, 12:30 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/BusAndTrainUser/stat...49474?s=19

Stagecoach have had a corporate livery, and very little else, for as long as I can remember. They're also arguably the most recognisable bus company in the country, my mates who don't have the faintest idea about anything that would be discussed on here for example, would always know what a Stagecoach bus was. 

And the "short-sighted" section, didn't GNE do similar with printed timetables a few years back? So much for being "in the vanguard".
mb134
13 Jul 2021, 12:58 pm #118

(13 Jul 2021, 12:30 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/BusAndTrainUser/stat...49474?s=19

Stagecoach have had a corporate livery, and very little else, for as long as I can remember. They're also arguably the most recognisable bus company in the country, my mates who don't have the faintest idea about anything that would be discussed on here for example, would always know what a Stagecoach bus was. 

And the "short-sighted" section, didn't GNE do similar with printed timetables a few years back? So much for being "in the vanguard".

Andreos1

13 Jul 2021, 3:00 pm #119
(13 Jul 2021, 12:58 pm)mb134 Stagecoach have had a corporate livery, and very little else, for as long as I can remember. They're also arguably the most recognisable bus company in the country, my mates who don't have the faintest idea about anything that would be discussed on here for example, would always know what a Stagecoach bus was.  

Whereas most other companies have some sort of road-stripe and use a similar font to describe a rough operating area, the app and some calling points. With not many clues as to who the operator actually is.
The same localised design he advocates, is copied and pasted all over in various localities across the country...

Andreos1
13 Jul 2021, 3:00 pm #119

(13 Jul 2021, 12:58 pm)mb134 Stagecoach have had a corporate livery, and very little else, for as long as I can remember. They're also arguably the most recognisable bus company in the country, my mates who don't have the faintest idea about anything that would be discussed on here for example, would always know what a Stagecoach bus was.  

Whereas most other companies have some sort of road-stripe and use a similar font to describe a rough operating area, the app and some calling points. With not many clues as to who the operator actually is.
The same localised design he advocates, is copied and pasted all over in various localities across the country...

Adrian

13 Jul 2021, 3:07 pm #120

Uniform designs that Arriva and Stagecoach use, as oppose to the uniform designs that design agencies use with multiple clients? Smile 

French is a bit of a mark when it comes to branding, and I'm far from convinced that it is a contributor towards organic growth. For example, often when growth was talked about in the past, it often neglected to mention the wholesale changes to the network and amalgamation of services. Of course there's going to be 'growth' on service 1 if service 2 no longer exists, but it is not new customers.

I'm also not convinced that the vast majority of First customers in Penzance will know anything about First's operation in Aberdeen, for example, yet alone care about it sharing the same livery.

Yep, and this is typical of French's writing. He neglects to mention that Go-Ahead have also closed travel shops; Chester-le-Street, Washington permanently, and with the Metrocentre one being closed 'due to COVID', I don't think that'll be far behind.

Adrian
13 Jul 2021, 3:07 pm #120

Uniform designs that Arriva and Stagecoach use, as oppose to the uniform designs that design agencies use with multiple clients? Smile 

French is a bit of a mark when it comes to branding, and I'm far from convinced that it is a contributor towards organic growth. For example, often when growth was talked about in the past, it often neglected to mention the wholesale changes to the network and amalgamation of services. Of course there's going to be 'growth' on service 1 if service 2 no longer exists, but it is not new customers.

I'm also not convinced that the vast majority of First customers in Penzance will know anything about First's operation in Aberdeen, for example, yet alone care about it sharing the same livery.

Yep, and this is typical of French's writing. He neglects to mention that Go-Ahead have also closed travel shops; Chester-le-Street, Washington permanently, and with the Metrocentre one being closed 'due to COVID', I don't think that'll be far behind.

Pages (7): Previous 15 6 7 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average