Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East New livery for 2837 ?

New livery for 2837 ?

New livery for 2837 ?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2
cbma06

18 Nov 2020, 8:26 pm #21
(15 Nov 2020, 10:19 am)Dan It was a tongue in cheek remark, obviously, but all jokes aside, nobody can deny that Arriva is taking an exceptionally long time to roll out their new brand (especially compared to Stagecoach, for example, who seemingly manage to repaint 2-3 buses per week).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the Arriva management have got there new livery stationary etc... sitting on there desks

cbma06
18 Nov 2020, 8:26 pm #21

(15 Nov 2020, 10:19 am)Dan It was a tongue in cheek remark, obviously, but all jokes aside, nobody can deny that Arriva is taking an exceptionally long time to roll out their new brand (especially compared to Stagecoach, for example, who seemingly manage to repaint 2-3 buses per week).

As long as the Arriva management have got there new livery stationary etc... sitting on there desks

Storx

18 Nov 2020, 8:49 pm #22
(18 Nov 2020, 8:01 pm)mb134 Specifically looking at the Ashington/Bedlington end, I honestly don't see a huge shift away. 

If we go place by place along the X21 route, just to give an example:
Newbiggin - If people are using public transport to Newcastle, I don't see them paying twice.

Ashington - X20 is 40ish minutes. The station is bang in the middle of Ashington, majority of housing will be a decent walk/bus trip away - by which point its likely just as quick to get an X21/22 (or X20, particularly if living more towards North Seaton).

Stakeford - Will anyone bus to Bedlington Station to catch a train? Likely not, again bus is probably the way. 

Bedlington Station - To Newcastle, yep train is quicker. But if going up to Bedlington, Cramlington Industrial Estate, Gosforth then the bus is definitely/likely (in the case of Gosforth) the better option. Also if anyone misses a train, the bus stop is literally seconds away and they'll be on the A1 before the next train even rocks up (assuming the train is half hourly). 

Bedlington - Literally do not see the point in anyone going down to Bedlington Station to get on a train that'll take the same amount of time as the bus would have. To be honest the process of going down to get the train will make it far longer than getting on a bus and being in town in 30 minutes.

I really don't see many people using the line that are already bus users, it's really targeting people who drive into Newcastle. I think it'll be busy to start with but the novelty will quickly wear off, and that it was a mistake making it a conventional rail line rather than extending the Metro.

You not think we might not start and see people driving for a bit then using the train who just don't want to travel all the way into Newcastle for whatever reason, lack of parking etc though. Like Newbiggin if you get the bus it takes 75 minutes at rush hour (at best), could easily drive to Bebside in 10 minutes then a 20 minute train journey with little delays (traffic etc) could be very attractive to some.  

Bedlington though could easily just be served by the X22 though, I do think there is space for one express though on the lines of Newcastle -> Bedlington -> Guide Post -> Stakeford -> Ashington -> Newbiggin which fills the trains gaps.

Hopefully though we see better integration of tickets etc though and routes which suit the railway line rather than having a bus vs train which doesn't really benefit anyone ie you can get a ticket from Newbiggin to Ashington, then use the train after, the same with Stakeford etc and split the fares etc, surely it's better for everyone rather than having half empty trains and half empty buses doing similar routes.

https://haveyoursay.northumberland.gov.u...online.pdf - Plans for those interested btw.
Storx
18 Nov 2020, 8:49 pm #22

(18 Nov 2020, 8:01 pm)mb134 Specifically looking at the Ashington/Bedlington end, I honestly don't see a huge shift away. 

Newbiggin - If people are using public transport to Newcastle, I don't see them paying twice.

Ashington - X20 is 40ish minutes. The station is bang in the middle of Ashington, majority of housing will be a decent walk/bus trip away - by which point its likely just as quick to get an X21/22 (or X20, particularly if living more towards North Seaton).

Stakeford - Will anyone bus to Bedlington Station to catch a train? Likely not, again bus is probably the way. 

Bedlington Station - To Newcastle, yep train is quicker. But if going up to Bedlington, Cramlington Industrial Estate, Gosforth then the bus is definitely/likely (in the case of Gosforth) the better option. Also if anyone misses a train, the bus stop is literally seconds away and they'll be on the A1 before the next train even rocks up (assuming the train is half hourly). 

Bedlington - Literally do not see the point in anyone going down to Bedlington Station to get on a train that'll take the same amount of time as the bus would have. To be honest the process of going down to get the train will make it far longer than getting on a bus and being in town in 30 minutes.

I really don't see many people using the line that are already bus users, it's really targeting people who drive into Newcastle. I think it'll be busy to start with but the novelty will quickly wear off, and that it was a mistake making it a conventional rail line rather than extending the Metro.

You not think we might not start and see people driving for a bit then using the train who just don't want to travel all the way into Newcastle for whatever reason, lack of parking etc though. Like Newbiggin if you get the bus it takes 75 minutes at rush hour (at best), could easily drive to Bebside in 10 minutes then a 20 minute train journey with little delays (traffic etc) could be very attractive to some.  

Bedlington though could easily just be served by the X22 though, I do think there is space for one express though on the lines of Newcastle -> Bedlington -> Guide Post -> Stakeford -> Ashington -> Newbiggin which fills the trains gaps.

Hopefully though we see better integration of tickets etc though and routes which suit the railway line rather than having a bus vs train which doesn't really benefit anyone ie you can get a ticket from Newbiggin to Ashington, then use the train after, the same with Stakeford etc and split the fares etc, surely it's better for everyone rather than having half empty trains and half empty buses doing similar routes.

https://haveyoursay.northumberland.gov.u...online.pdf - Plans for those interested btw.

Andreos1

18 Nov 2020, 9:35 pm #23

Those points are relevant I think. 

There will also be the people boarding and travelling between stations, where the train just won't be an option. Just like on the other lines which feed in and out of the town.
For the longer trips, then I can see them taking the train over the bus.

But as you say, someone in Newbiggin could sit on the same bus all the way to the town, rather than get off in Ashington and pay additional costs, hope for a decent connection and then use the train.
Some may, I can't see the majority doing it.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
18 Nov 2020, 9:35 pm #23

Those points are relevant I think. 

There will also be the people boarding and travelling between stations, where the train just won't be an option. Just like on the other lines which feed in and out of the town.
For the longer trips, then I can see them taking the train over the bus.

But as you say, someone in Newbiggin could sit on the same bus all the way to the town, rather than get off in Ashington and pay additional costs, hope for a decent connection and then use the train.
Some may, I can't see the majority doing it.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average