Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport All Things Water Ferries

Ferries

Ferries

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Andreos1

06 May 2013, 1:14 pm #1
Just trying to get the forums started off a bit.

Has anyone had any adventures or trips on North Sea, English Channel or Irish Sea Ferries - or anything even more exotic?
Andreos1
06 May 2013, 1:14 pm #1

Just trying to get the forums started off a bit.

Has anyone had any adventures or trips on North Sea, English Channel or Irish Sea Ferries - or anything even more exotic?

Adrian

06 May 2013, 1:31 pm #2
I'm not a great traveller on water, so I try to avoid. It's been a good age since I've been on the shields ferry. The last ferry I used was the Santa Pola - Tabarca ferry in the Mediterranean. Thought I'd give it a go as the sea looked nice and calm, but it ended up rocking for half an hour till I got there. Spent the few hours on Tabarca dreading the trip back in the end! Undecided

But that being said, it's a great little island and the weather ain't bad over that way either. Wink Few details here if anyone is interested;

http://www.discovercostacalida.info/en/W...a-Tabarca/

http://goo.gl/maps/KEFzW

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 May 2013, 1:31 pm #2

I'm not a great traveller on water, so I try to avoid. It's been a good age since I've been on the shields ferry. The last ferry I used was the Santa Pola - Tabarca ferry in the Mediterranean. Thought I'd give it a go as the sea looked nice and calm, but it ended up rocking for half an hour till I got there. Spent the few hours on Tabarca dreading the trip back in the end! Undecided

But that being said, it's a great little island and the weather ain't bad over that way either. Wink Few details here if anyone is interested;

http://www.discovercostacalida.info/en/W...a-Tabarca/

http://goo.gl/maps/KEFzW

Andreos1

06 May 2013, 6:48 pm #3
Only ever been to mainland Spain once, strangely enough to the Alicante area.
Knew about the longer journeys to Mallorca etc from the area, didnt know about the shorter journey.

Is that the island they go to on a trip to on 'Benidorm'?
Andreos1
06 May 2013, 6:48 pm #3

Only ever been to mainland Spain once, strangely enough to the Alicante area.
Knew about the longer journeys to Mallorca etc from the area, didnt know about the shorter journey.

Is that the island they go to on a trip to on 'Benidorm'?

Adrian

06 May 2013, 7:08 pm #4
I've not seen that episode, but I'd guess it wouldn't be. There's really not a lot on Tabarca Island.

Adrian
06 May 2013, 7:08 pm #4

I've not seen that episode, but I'd guess it wouldn't be. There's really not a lot on Tabarca Island.

Andreos1

06 May 2013, 9:58 pm #5
On one of the episodes they got on a small boat and headed out to an island just off the mainland - there are probably a few to be fair.

The last one ferry I got on was a Western Ferries across the Firth of Clyde to Argyle - luckily we got our tickets in advance, but it can be pricey for a half hour journey if making a return trip with a family (www.western-ferries.co.uk/mob/fares.shtml).
There are some great views and we saw a small pod of porpoises at one point on one of our journies.
Andreos1
06 May 2013, 9:58 pm #5

On one of the episodes they got on a small boat and headed out to an island just off the mainland - there are probably a few to be fair.

The last one ferry I got on was a Western Ferries across the Firth of Clyde to Argyle - luckily we got our tickets in advance, but it can be pricey for a half hour journey if making a return trip with a family (www.western-ferries.co.uk/mob/fares.shtml).
There are some great views and we saw a small pod of porpoises at one point on one of our journies.

Andreos1

30 Oct 2013, 4:17 pm #6
www.tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/87307/stormageddon-hits-passengers-on-north-sea-ferry-from-tyneside

A mini-cruise that turned into a bigger cruise!
Not much sight seeing on this trip.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 Oct 2013, 4:17 pm #6

www.tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/87307/stormageddon-hits-passengers-on-north-sea-ferry-from-tyneside

A mini-cruise that turned into a bigger cruise!
Not much sight seeing on this trip.

Andreos1

08 Nov 2013, 11:34 am #7
Even with my very limited, very, very basic Norwegien - it looks like the ferry between North Tyneside and Bergen is being reinstated in April.

If you haven't been - go.
Edited 08 Nov 2013, 11:57 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
08 Nov 2013, 11:34 am #7

Even with my very limited, very, very basic Norwegien - it looks like the ferry between North Tyneside and Bergen is being reinstated in April.

If you haven't been - go.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

13 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm #8
Been to Amsterdam many times from North Shields, my main memories of that was going for New Year 2006, I was fighting with my dad and I nearly got thrown in the ships brig, coming back on that same trip, I got back on the boat, was rooting through my pockets and as I had been trying it's finest culture I pulled out a bag of skunk out my pocket(I forgot I had it in the first place) not knowing what to do, I ate it before we docked back at North Shields as I did not want to waste it or throw it away, I was ill for about 3 days after getting home...

I have been Dover-Calais many times, Stranraer-Belfast and Cairnryan-Larne, done Hull-Rotterdam and when I was a kid I went a education department organised sailing trip across the Channel, that was horrible, the sea sickness was a killer, got to the point we were all sick so much that there was nothing left on our guts to bring up Wink
MrFozz
13 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm #8

Been to Amsterdam many times from North Shields, my main memories of that was going for New Year 2006, I was fighting with my dad and I nearly got thrown in the ships brig, coming back on that same trip, I got back on the boat, was rooting through my pockets and as I had been trying it's finest culture I pulled out a bag of skunk out my pocket(I forgot I had it in the first place) not knowing what to do, I ate it before we docked back at North Shields as I did not want to waste it or throw it away, I was ill for about 3 days after getting home...

I have been Dover-Calais many times, Stranraer-Belfast and Cairnryan-Larne, done Hull-Rotterdam and when I was a kid I went a education department organised sailing trip across the Channel, that was horrible, the sea sickness was a killer, got to the point we were all sick so much that there was nothing left on our guts to bring up Wink

Andreos1

12 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm #9
(13 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm)fozzovmurton Been to Amsterdam many times from North Shields, my main memories of that was going for New Year 2006, I was fighting with my dad and I nearly got thrown in the ships brig, coming back on that same trip, I got back on the boat, was rooting through my pockets and as I had been trying it's finest culture I pulled out a bag of skunk out my pocket(I forgot I had it in the first place) not knowing what to do, I ate it before we docked back at North Shields as I did not want to waste it or throw it away, I was ill for about 3 days after getting home...

I have seen people pulled behind the screen at the top of the stairs in Ijmuiden many a time.
Sure there was a bottle of ky jelly on the floor too Wink.

Andreos1
12 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm #9

(13 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm)fozzovmurton Been to Amsterdam many times from North Shields, my main memories of that was going for New Year 2006, I was fighting with my dad and I nearly got thrown in the ships brig, coming back on that same trip, I got back on the boat, was rooting through my pockets and as I had been trying it's finest culture I pulled out a bag of skunk out my pocket(I forgot I had it in the first place) not knowing what to do, I ate it before we docked back at North Shields as I did not want to waste it or throw it away, I was ill for about 3 days after getting home...

I have seen people pulled behind the screen at the top of the stairs in Ijmuiden many a time.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

16 Mar 2014, 6:30 pm #10
(12 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm)Andreos Constantopolous I have seen people pulled behind the screen at the top of the stairs in Ijmuiden many a time.

I have lucky never to have been pulled at IJmuiden...

If I ever did get pulled in such a situation, I would hand over any goods I had before the KY Jelly had a chance to be applied Wink
MrFozz
16 Mar 2014, 6:30 pm #10

(12 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm)Andreos Constantopolous I have seen people pulled behind the screen at the top of the stairs in Ijmuiden many a time.

I have lucky never to have been pulled at IJmuiden...

If I ever did get pulled in such a situation, I would hand over any goods I had before the KY Jelly had a chance to be applied Wink

Andreos1

19 Oct 2014, 7:31 pm #11
Closely following the Princess Seaways out of the Port of Tyne tonight was a Fred Olsen cruise liner.

No idea where it was going, but wasn't in any hurry once it got out to sea.
The Princess Seaways was away like a flash, leaving the Fred Olsen in its wake.
It looked a nice ship, wherever it was off to.

Andreos1
19 Oct 2014, 7:31 pm #11

Closely following the Princess Seaways out of the Port of Tyne tonight was a Fred Olsen cruise liner.

GuyParkRoyal

22 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm #12
(19 Oct 2014, 7:31 pm)Andreos1 Closely following the Princess Seaways out of the Port of Tyne tonight was a Fred Olsen cruise liner.

It would have been the Black Watch setting off on a 15 night cruise to Lisbon, Canaries Islands, Madeira, La Coruna, returning to Port of Tyne.
Attached Files
.jpg
PA190002.JPG
Size: 2.92 MB / Downloads: 24
GuyParkRoyal
22 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm #12

(19 Oct 2014, 7:31 pm)Andreos1 Closely following the Princess Seaways out of the Port of Tyne tonight was a Fred Olsen cruise liner.

It would have been the Black Watch setting off on a 15 night cruise to Lisbon, Canaries Islands, Madeira, La Coruna, returning to Port of Tyne.

Attached Files
.jpg
PA190002.JPG
Size: 2.92 MB / Downloads: 24

Andreos1

01 Nov 2021, 10:46 am #13
Groningse Eemshaven krijgt vaste veerverbinding met Noorwegen - https://nos.nl/l/2403944

New sea route from the Netherlands to southern Norway.
Not quite North Shields, but it certainly opens up things up a bit. 
North Shields - Ijmuiden. Food, drinks and whatever else in Amsterdam - train north and overnight ferry to Kristiansand.

Andreos1
01 Nov 2021, 10:46 am #13

Groningse Eemshaven krijgt vaste veerverbinding met Noorwegen - https://nos.nl/l/2403944

New sea route from the Netherlands to southern Norway.
Not quite North Shields, but it certainly opens up things up a bit. 
North Shields - Ijmuiden. Food, drinks and whatever else in Amsterdam - train north and overnight ferry to Kristiansand.

02 Dec 2021, 7:31 am #14
(06 May 2013, 1:14 pm)Andreos1 Just trying to get the forums started off a bit.

Like many of us up here I was taken on holiday by DFDS over the years, Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Had some memorable journeys in high seas, but the worst ever crossing was Hull to Rotterdam. Harwich boats took us many times after a proper train journey there and back, always Newcastle - Poole to Sheffield and change for the 'European' which ran from Glasgow and the north west to Harwich cross country.

All part of the fun, proper trains and proper ships!
54APhotography
02 Dec 2021, 7:31 am #14

(06 May 2013, 1:14 pm)Andreos1 Just trying to get the forums started off a bit.

Like many of us up here I was taken on holiday by DFDS over the years, Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Had some memorable journeys in high seas, but the worst ever crossing was Hull to Rotterdam. Harwich boats took us many times after a proper train journey there and back, always Newcastle - Poole to Sheffield and change for the 'European' which ran from Glasgow and the north west to Harwich cross country.

Andreos1

02 Dec 2021, 2:33 pm #15
(02 Dec 2021, 7:31 am)54APhotography Like many of us up here I was taken on holiday by DFDS over the years, Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Had some memorable journeys in high seas, but the worst ever crossing was Hull to Rotterdam. Harwich boats took us many times after a proper train journey there and back, always Newcastle - Poole to Sheffield and change for the 'European' which ran from Glasgow and the north west to Harwich cross country.

https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=2633

Get your trips logged Wink

Andreos1
02 Dec 2021, 2:33 pm #15

(02 Dec 2021, 7:31 am)54APhotography Like many of us up here I was taken on holiday by DFDS over the years, Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Had some memorable journeys in high seas, but the worst ever crossing was Hull to Rotterdam. Harwich boats took us many times after a proper train journey there and back, always Newcastle - Poole to Sheffield and change for the 'European' which ran from Glasgow and the north west to Harwich cross country.

https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=2633

Get your trips logged Wink

Andreos1

22 Apr 2022, 6:44 pm #16
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61194041

New ferry between Wales and England?

Andreos1
22 Apr 2022, 6:44 pm #16

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61194041

New ferry between Wales and England?

MurdnunoC

22 Apr 2022, 7:28 pm #17
If 'Green Energy' is the aim, it's a shame there wasn't a way of powering a ferry by wind to sail across the Bristol Channel, or indeed any other waterway in the world.
MurdnunoC
22 Apr 2022, 7:28 pm #17

If 'Green Energy' is the aim, it's a shame there wasn't a way of powering a ferry by wind to sail across the Bristol Channel, or indeed any other waterway in the world.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average