Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North East Transport Plan

North East Transport Plan

North East Transport Plan

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Andreos1

01 Dec 2020, 3:32 pm #1
https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wh...port-plan/

Proposals, feedback and online events.
Some of this is very similar to the Lord Adonis report which is further down in this section of the forum.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 Dec 2020, 3:32 pm #1

https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wh...port-plan/

Some of this is very similar to the Lord Adonis report which is further down in this section of the forum.

MurdnunoC

01 Dec 2020, 9:44 pm #2
(01 Dec 2020, 3:32 pm)Andreos1 https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wh...port-plan/

We're probably both veterans of reading this sort of thing now.

Nice ideas but, based on what we've seen in the past, very little will come of it.

I'll believe it when I see it.
MurdnunoC
01 Dec 2020, 9:44 pm #2

(01 Dec 2020, 3:32 pm)Andreos1 https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wh...port-plan/

We're probably both veterans of reading this sort of thing now.

Nice ideas but, based on what we've seen in the past, very little will come of it.

Andreos1

01 Dec 2020, 10:15 pm #3
(01 Dec 2020, 9:44 pm)MurdnunoC We're probably both veterans of reading this sort of thing now.

You're too cynical. Too much time spent at the whims of North east based transport operators has dulled your sense of excitement. 

But yeah, as good a read as they are. You're probably right.

Andreos1
01 Dec 2020, 10:15 pm #3

(01 Dec 2020, 9:44 pm)MurdnunoC We're probably both veterans of reading this sort of thing now.

You're too cynical. Too much time spent at the whims of North east based transport operators has dulled your sense of excitement. 

But yeah, as good a read as they are. You're probably right.

MurdnunoC

01 Dec 2020, 10:38 pm #4
I like how all the interesting stuff is scheduled for 2035.

15/16 years down the line has come to be somewhat of a staple of this type of report.

It must be assumed that people won't remember this report in 15 years time so, naturally, the same ideas can be rehashed to be completed by 2050 when a new report is produced in the early 2030s.
MurdnunoC
01 Dec 2020, 10:38 pm #4

I like how all the interesting stuff is scheduled for 2035.

15/16 years down the line has come to be somewhat of a staple of this type of report.

It must be assumed that people won't remember this report in 15 years time so, naturally, the same ideas can be rehashed to be completed by 2050 when a new report is produced in the early 2030s.

Adrian

11 Jan 2021, 7:17 pm #5
A reminder that the consultation closes on 14th January 2021 - i.e. this Thursday. You can submit a response by clicking here.

The main documents for the Newcastle/Gateshead North East Transport Plan can be found below:
Summary: https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wp...t-plan.pdf
Full plan: https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wp...t-Plan.pdf

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
11 Jan 2021, 7:17 pm #5

A reminder that the consultation closes on 14th January 2021 - i.e. this Thursday. You can submit a response by clicking here.

The main documents for the Newcastle/Gateshead North East Transport Plan can be found below:
Summary: https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wp...t-plan.pdf
Full plan: https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wp...t-Plan.pdf

BusLoverMum

15 Jan 2021, 11:43 pm #6
"overcome inequality'

Not with £7 tickets....
BusLoverMum
15 Jan 2021, 11:43 pm #6

"overcome inequality'

Not with £7 tickets....

Andreos1

26 Apr 2021, 12:22 pm #7
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-20311836

Interesting analysis of transport provision in Aycliffe West.

Andreos1
26 Apr 2021, 12:22 pm #7

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-20311836

Adrian

26 Apr 2021, 2:07 pm #8
(26 Apr 2021, 12:22 pm)Andreos1 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-20311836

I agree that its a strange ranking. I wouldn't advocate entering a race to the bottom, but out of all the Divisions in County Durham, it is probably one of the best for links and variety of links, having not only several bus routes (to several destinations) and the railway station.

However, in my opinion, quotes like this are part of the reason why we have such a problem with transport provision: 
"Independent town councillor for the West ward Ken Robson said: “A lot of people I know don’t use public transport. From my point of view I really don’t think there’s any major problems with transport.
I can get in my car and drive to the Lakes in an hour and a quarter. I can drive to the coast at Redcar in about 40 minutes. I can drive up to Newcastle in 50 minutes. The A1M is a great road.”

It doesn't matter how much effort and energy that transport operators put into encouraging people onto greener public transport, when you have the people (Councillors) who should be scrutinising transport provision taking the attitude of "I have a car, so I'm alright, Jack."

Adrian
26 Apr 2021, 2:07 pm #8

(26 Apr 2021, 12:22 pm)Andreos1 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-20311836

I agree that its a strange ranking. I wouldn't advocate entering a race to the bottom, but out of all the Divisions in County Durham, it is probably one of the best for links and variety of links, having not only several bus routes (to several destinations) and the railway station.

However, in my opinion, quotes like this are part of the reason why we have such a problem with transport provision: 
"Independent town councillor for the West ward Ken Robson said: “A lot of people I know don’t use public transport. From my point of view I really don’t think there’s any major problems with transport.
I can get in my car and drive to the Lakes in an hour and a quarter. I can drive to the coast at Redcar in about 40 minutes. I can drive up to Newcastle in 50 minutes. The A1M is a great road.”

It doesn't matter how much effort and energy that transport operators put into encouraging people onto greener public transport, when you have the people (Councillors) who should be scrutinising transport provision taking the attitude of "I have a car, so I'm alright, Jack."

Andreos1

26 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm #9
(26 Apr 2021, 2:07 pm)Adrian I agree that its a strange ranking. I wouldn't advocate entering a race to the bottom, but out of all the Divisions in County Durham, it is probably one of the best for links and variety of links, having not only several bus routes (to several destinations) and the railway station.

I wonder if timetables are a factor.
Vaguely remember Jimmi talking about services starting late on a Sunday and him being unable to get to rallies and the like.
Yes, there's the train - but services on that line are pretty limited.

Andreos1
26 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm #9

(26 Apr 2021, 2:07 pm)Adrian I agree that its a strange ranking. I wouldn't advocate entering a race to the bottom, but out of all the Divisions in County Durham, it is probably one of the best for links and variety of links, having not only several bus routes (to several destinations) and the railway station.

I wonder if timetables are a factor.
Vaguely remember Jimmi talking about services starting late on a Sunday and him being unable to get to rallies and the like.

Storx

26 Apr 2021, 5:27 pm #10
(26 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm)Andreos1 I wonder if timetables are a factor.

Sounds like a weird results really. Surely Ponteland, Red House Farm (Whitley), Preston / Preston Grange (North Shields) or Teal Farm / Barmston (Washington) has to rank worse. Ponteland has the X77/X78/X79 and that's got no evening services and there's no train anywhere near either. Red House Farm literally only has the 51, Preston Grange only has the 11 and the 306 (day times only) if you walk all the way to Morrisons and parts of Washington like Teal Farm and Barmston have a bus to Washington and nothing more. Much worse than what that area of Aycliffe have imo, be interesting to know how those results have come about tbh.
Storx
26 Apr 2021, 5:27 pm #10

(26 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm)Andreos1 I wonder if timetables are a factor.

Sounds like a weird results really. Surely Ponteland, Red House Farm (Whitley), Preston / Preston Grange (North Shields) or Teal Farm / Barmston (Washington) has to rank worse. Ponteland has the X77/X78/X79 and that's got no evening services and there's no train anywhere near either. Red House Farm literally only has the 51, Preston Grange only has the 11 and the 306 (day times only) if you walk all the way to Morrisons and parts of Washington like Teal Farm and Barmston have a bus to Washington and nothing more. Much worse than what that area of Aycliffe have imo, be interesting to know how those results have come about tbh.

Jimmi

26 Apr 2021, 7:20 pm #11

I best comment, given its my local area...

I do find it a little bit unusual with the high ranking but at the same time with the way the Aycliffe West ward is geographically doesn't help when it comes to these things as much of the ward is purely served by the 5/5A both running hourly (combined half hourly) with parts with supplemented by the council supported town service 17 running hourly Monday to Friday (although parts have a 2 hour gap around lunchtime for drivers legal break).

The options of transport links for our ward are a bit naff as it's essentially, Aycliffe Town Centre, Darlington, Bishop Auckland and Shildon (with slightly further links on Bishop Line).

There is a mention about Hospital links which is fine for Bishop Auckland General which is served by the 5/5A but is poor for other medical facilities especially those in Darlington which are very close but all require two buses to get to with West Park & BMI Woodlands Hospital having limited connections (19 half hourly, West Park & 12 to Woodlands only being hourly for most of the day). Until December 2012 we had an hourly service to West Park hospital on service 16 until Darlington Borough Council withdrew all Bus subsidies (plus some more local links like Heighington to Aycliffe which is now a two bus job via Shildon or Darlington) and we lost the direct link to Darlington Memorial in July 2008 when Arriva did their major shake up of routes in Darlington.

One thing that's irked me is the limited operation of Town Service 17 when other towns have a greater service for similar connections, for example the Chester 700 services got increased to operate on Saturdays whereas shortly after when the current tenders first came out, we got a gap in service on the 17 for a drivers legal break to enable it to be one driver operation.

The Rail service has improved in recent years at least, going from a 2 hourly service to running an hourly service, 7 days a week, only real downer was losing the direct service to Whitby on a Sunday.

As I've stated previously the lack of buses to Darlington early on a Sunday morning was an irritant and still is, however we at least have a train to Darlington these days departing at around 0820 (and about 30 mins prior to Bishop Auckland) although does irritatingly just miss some connections towards York.

Luckily I am able to drive these days so some of these gripes are much less of a problem these days to me at least.
Jimmi
26 Apr 2021, 7:20 pm #11

I best comment, given its my local area...

I do find it a little bit unusual with the high ranking but at the same time with the way the Aycliffe West ward is geographically doesn't help when it comes to these things as much of the ward is purely served by the 5/5A both running hourly (combined half hourly) with parts with supplemented by the council supported town service 17 running hourly Monday to Friday (although parts have a 2 hour gap around lunchtime for drivers legal break).

The options of transport links for our ward are a bit naff as it's essentially, Aycliffe Town Centre, Darlington, Bishop Auckland and Shildon (with slightly further links on Bishop Line).

There is a mention about Hospital links which is fine for Bishop Auckland General which is served by the 5/5A but is poor for other medical facilities especially those in Darlington which are very close but all require two buses to get to with West Park & BMI Woodlands Hospital having limited connections (19 half hourly, West Park & 12 to Woodlands only being hourly for most of the day). Until December 2012 we had an hourly service to West Park hospital on service 16 until Darlington Borough Council withdrew all Bus subsidies (plus some more local links like Heighington to Aycliffe which is now a two bus job via Shildon or Darlington) and we lost the direct link to Darlington Memorial in July 2008 when Arriva did their major shake up of routes in Darlington.

One thing that's irked me is the limited operation of Town Service 17 when other towns have a greater service for similar connections, for example the Chester 700 services got increased to operate on Saturdays whereas shortly after when the current tenders first came out, we got a gap in service on the 17 for a drivers legal break to enable it to be one driver operation.

The Rail service has improved in recent years at least, going from a 2 hourly service to running an hourly service, 7 days a week, only real downer was losing the direct service to Whitby on a Sunday.

As I've stated previously the lack of buses to Darlington early on a Sunday morning was an irritant and still is, however we at least have a train to Darlington these days departing at around 0820 (and about 30 mins prior to Bishop Auckland) although does irritatingly just miss some connections towards York.

Luckily I am able to drive these days so some of these gripes are much less of a problem these days to me at least.

V514DFT

26 Apr 2021, 8:12 pm #12
Links on a hole are garbage

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
26 Apr 2021, 8:12 pm #12

Links on a hole are garbage

Kind Regards
Tez

Jimmi

29 Apr 2021, 10:18 pm #13

Interestingly, following on from this article from last week, there's talk that a half hourly train service is 'highly likely' for services to Bishop Auckland within the next two years according to a local rail group: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-20491118
Jimmi
29 Apr 2021, 10:18 pm #13

Interestingly, following on from this article from last week, there's talk that a half hourly train service is 'highly likely' for services to Bishop Auckland within the next two years according to a local rail group: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-20491118

Andreos1

27 Jul 2021, 8:33 am #14
Took a screenshot and forgot I can't upload images.

An ex-colleague shared some info on LinkedIn earlier.

Sunderland Council and Digital Catapult are looking for an intelligent and interactive data collection and analysis solution to help the council understand travel choices and mobility patterns.

£10,000 on offer for proof of concept.

It falls under the 'Sunderland Transport Challenge'

Andreos1
27 Jul 2021, 8:33 am #14

Took a screenshot and forgot I can't upload images.

Sunderland Council and Digital Catapult are looking for an intelligent and interactive data collection and analysis solution to help the council understand travel choices and mobility patterns.

Adrian

27 Jul 2021, 8:37 am #15
(27 Jul 2021, 8:33 am)Andreos1 Took a screenshot and forgot I can't upload images.

Does Washington Moto feature?  Big Grin

Adrian
27 Jul 2021, 8:37 am #15

(27 Jul 2021, 8:33 am)Andreos1 Took a screenshot and forgot I can't upload images.

Does Washington Moto feature?  Big Grin

27 Jul 2021, 8:46 am #16

Here's a thought they can have for free, maybe ask people what they want, and actually take notice of it.

Not everything has to take advantage of 'AI' and '[insert other buzzword here]'. Sometimes a bit of common sense is just as good, and doesn't cost anything
streetdeckfan
27 Jul 2021, 8:46 am #16

Here's a thought they can have for free, maybe ask people what they want, and actually take notice of it.

Not everything has to take advantage of 'AI' and '[insert other buzzword here]'. Sometimes a bit of common sense is just as good, and doesn't cost anything

Andreos1

27 Jul 2021, 12:19 pm #17
(27 Jul 2021, 8:37 am)Adrian Does Washington Moto feature?  Big Grin

Not yet!

(27 Jul 2021, 8:46 am)streetdeckfan Here's a thought they can have for free, maybe ask people what they want, and actually take notice of it.

I think they wanted gamification involved too.
The successful bid will lead to them proposing 'interactive solutions to seamlessly gather insights on transport choices'
Edited 27 Jul 2021, 12:22 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
27 Jul 2021, 12:19 pm #17

(27 Jul 2021, 8:37 am)Adrian Does Washington Moto feature?  Big Grin

Not yet!

(27 Jul 2021, 8:46 am)streetdeckfan Here's a thought they can have for free, maybe ask people what they want, and actually take notice of it.

I think they wanted gamification involved too.
The successful bid will lead to them proposing 'interactive solutions to seamlessly gather insights on transport choices'

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average