Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Sunderland Station redevelopment

Sunderland Station redevelopment

Sunderland Station redevelopment

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Michael

01 Dec 2020, 5:33 pm #1
Sunderland Central Station Redevelopment & Car Park - £27.989m gross, £3.470m net (£20.157m external funding and £4.362m already in existing programme)

Redevelopment of the Sunderland Central Station & car park. This will be via the demolition and reconstruction of the main southern concourse of the Station above platform level with the provision of a new modern facility to act as an improved arrival experience for people arriving into the city by rail and also the associated parking facilities to serve the station and the City. The project is expected to be supported by external funding from the Transforming Cities Fund (Tranche 2). Area Outcomes / Benefits and Contribution to Strategic Priorities: The investment to rebuild the station at concourse level, to provide modern, attractive facilities for a better passenger experience will also serve as a gateway focal point for the retail core of Sunderland, with the corresponding benefits to businesses, commuters and visitors to the city. It’s aspiration as a university hub also means an enhanced railway station has potential to serve more students and help drive the growth of the fledgling knowledge industry and promote low carbon travel. Establishing a 500-space car park on the nearby Holmeside site will facilitate both pre-paid permits and pay & display parking and will provide the Council with a revenue stream. Although its primary benefit will be to offer park and ride support to heavy rail users the car park will be a city-wide asset for the occupants and visitors to the City Centre.
Attached Files
.png
train 2.png
Size: 177.78 KB / Downloads: 30

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Dec 2020, 5:33 pm #1

Sunderland Central Station Redevelopment & Car Park - £27.989m gross, £3.470m net (£20.157m external funding and £4.362m already in existing programme)

Redevelopment of the Sunderland Central Station & car park. This will be via the demolition and reconstruction of the main southern concourse of the Station above platform level with the provision of a new modern facility to act as an improved arrival experience for people arriving into the city by rail and also the associated parking facilities to serve the station and the City. The project is expected to be supported by external funding from the Transforming Cities Fund (Tranche 2). Area Outcomes / Benefits and Contribution to Strategic Priorities: The investment to rebuild the station at concourse level, to provide modern, attractive facilities for a better passenger experience will also serve as a gateway focal point for the retail core of Sunderland, with the corresponding benefits to businesses, commuters and visitors to the city. It’s aspiration as a university hub also means an enhanced railway station has potential to serve more students and help drive the growth of the fledgling knowledge industry and promote low carbon travel. Establishing a 500-space car park on the nearby Holmeside site will facilitate both pre-paid permits and pay & display parking and will provide the Council with a revenue stream. Although its primary benefit will be to offer park and ride support to heavy rail users the car park will be a city-wide asset for the occupants and visitors to the City Centre.

Attached Files
.png
train 2.png
Size: 177.78 KB / Downloads: 30

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

01 Dec 2020, 5:44 pm #2
A 500 car park is also planned, looking at Google maps, I can see the current shops demolished, the ones in the red square to make way for this, I don't think any of them have anyone in anyway.
Attached Files
.png
train.png
Size: 589.67 KB / Downloads: 35

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Dec 2020, 5:44 pm #2

A 500 car park is also planned, looking at Google maps, I can see the current shops demolished, the ones in the red square to make way for this, I don't think any of them have anyone in anyway.

Attached Files
.png
train.png
Size: 589.67 KB / Downloads: 35

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

V514DFT

03 Dec 2020, 6:42 pm #3
I'd like to see the station at platform level brightened up,its not the most inviting of stations

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
03 Dec 2020, 6:42 pm #3

I'd like to see the station at platform level brightened up,its not the most inviting of stations

Kind Regards
Tez

Storx

03 Dec 2020, 11:15 pm #4
I respect the building the new train station and it's well overdue but building another car park in the centre of a city centre really doesn't scream wanting to have cleaner air etc. Surely better ticketing via bus or Metro connections etc would be the better option and keep cars out of the city centre, especially where they're building that.

It's almost as bad as the new car park they're building in Gateshead near the new arena which involves driving around the hot spots near the Tyne Bridge which they want to decrease traffic from. It's all counter productive and just makes a mockery of it all.
Storx
03 Dec 2020, 11:15 pm #4

I respect the building the new train station and it's well overdue but building another car park in the centre of a city centre really doesn't scream wanting to have cleaner air etc. Surely better ticketing via bus or Metro connections etc would be the better option and keep cars out of the city centre, especially where they're building that.

It's almost as bad as the new car park they're building in Gateshead near the new arena which involves driving around the hot spots near the Tyne Bridge which they want to decrease traffic from. It's all counter productive and just makes a mockery of it all.

DaveyB

01 Jan 2021, 2:09 pm #5
Storx" pid="251074" dateline="1607037325"]

[/quote]

I imagine it’s to replace parking spaces on that side of town when the Civic Centre is demolished.

Also, if it’s safe, it will be welcome to park there while using Grand Central as the last train arrives after most bus services have finished for the night. Having the car close by is essential as the taxi services are always hit and miss. I’ve never understood that and asked many cab drivers why they don’t use the rank much when they know the train is arriving.
DaveyB
01 Jan 2021, 2:09 pm #5

Storx" pid="251074" dateline="1607037325"]

[/quote]

I imagine it’s to replace parking spaces on that side of town when the Civic Centre is demolished.

Also, if it’s safe, it will be welcome to park there while using Grand Central as the last train arrives after most bus services have finished for the night. Having the car close by is essential as the taxi services are always hit and miss. I’ve never understood that and asked many cab drivers why they don’t use the rank much when they know the train is arriving.

Michael

28 Jun 2021, 4:03 pm #6
Sunderland station is in a right mess

Photos from the "Sunderland News" Facebook page...
Attached Files
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895371090.jpg
Size: 98.5 KB / Downloads: 28
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895380601.jpg
Size: 80.4 KB / Downloads: 29
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895378738.jpg
Size: 104.15 KB / Downloads: 33
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895374903.jpg
Size: 143.28 KB / Downloads: 25
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895376809.jpg
Size: 48.26 KB / Downloads: 36
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895372947.jpg
Size: 59.78 KB / Downloads: 26

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Jun 2021, 4:03 pm #6

Sunderland station is in a right mess

Attached Files
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895371090.jpg
Size: 98.5 KB / Downloads: 28
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895380601.jpg
Size: 80.4 KB / Downloads: 29
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895378738.jpg
Size: 104.15 KB / Downloads: 33
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895374903.jpg
Size: 143.28 KB / Downloads: 25
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895376809.jpg
Size: 48.26 KB / Downloads: 36
.jpg
FB_IMG_1624895372947.jpg
Size: 59.78 KB / Downloads: 26

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

V514DFT

28 Jun 2021, 4:33 pm #7
(28 Jun 2021, 4:03 pm)Michael Sunderland station is in a right mess

Judging from your photos,im surprised they allow passengers to use it,obviously not an issue for the metro as those passengers can use Park Lane,but for the mainline trains its another story

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
28 Jun 2021, 4:33 pm #7

Judging from your photos,im surprised they allow passengers to use it,obviously not an issue for the metro as those passengers can use Park Lane,but for the mainline trains its another story

Kind Regards
Tez

28 Jun 2021, 4:46 pm #8

Photos from the "Sunderland News" Facebook page

It is an absolute disgrace, the entire blocks about should be demolished, all the way to High Street West, open it back up properly. The town centre is finished anyway so demolition is all it is fit for.
54APhotography
28 Jun 2021, 4:46 pm #8

Photos from the "Sunderland News" Facebook page

It is an absolute disgrace, the entire blocks about should be demolished, all the way to High Street West, open it back up properly. The town centre is finished anyway so demolition is all it is fit for.

Michael

28 Jun 2021, 4:52 pm #9
Whole train station is due to be done, knocked down and rebuilt along with a multi story car park... when is that happening.......... No idea.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Jun 2021, 4:52 pm #9

Whole train station is due to be done, knocked down and rebuilt along with a multi story car park... when is that happening.......... No idea.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

28 Jun 2021, 4:54 pm #10
(28 Jun 2021, 4:52 pm)Michael Whole train station is due to be done, knocked down and rebuilt along with a multi story car park... when is that happening.......... No idea.

Be nice to have it open with canopies as it was after the main roof was lost in WWII Like all rail investment, it is never guaranteed and as there is no Tory MP here, may well get kicked into the long grass...
54APhotography
28 Jun 2021, 4:54 pm #10

(28 Jun 2021, 4:52 pm)Michael Whole train station is due to be done, knocked down and rebuilt along with a multi story car park... when is that happening.......... No idea.

Be nice to have it open with canopies as it was after the main roof was lost in WWII Like all rail investment, it is never guaranteed and as there is no Tory MP here, may well get kicked into the long grass...

Michael

08 Jul 2021, 5:52 am #11
Transformational plans to revamp Sunderland's central train station are full steam ahead, with a £26m boost that will 'give Sunderland the rail station it deserves'.

Striking proposals for the southern entrance of Sunderland's central station were unveiled today, for a six-year programme to fully transform the city's arrival point.

Preparatory work on the first part of the ambitious project is expected to begin within days, kick-starting a programme of improvements that will deliver a beautiful new station for the city.

https://www.mysunderland.co.uk/article/1...ransformed

Looks really good, glad work is due to start in August.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Jul 2021, 5:52 am #11

Transformational plans to revamp Sunderland's central train station are full steam ahead, with a £26m boost that will 'give Sunderland the rail station it deserves'.

Striking proposals for the southern entrance of Sunderland's central station were unveiled today, for a six-year programme to fully transform the city's arrival point.

Preparatory work on the first part of the ambitious project is expected to begin within days, kick-starting a programme of improvements that will deliver a beautiful new station for the city.

https://www.mysunderland.co.uk/article/1...ransformed

Looks really good, glad work is due to start in August.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

idiot

08 Jul 2021, 7:18 am #12
Unfortunately Michael its got to a point as much as I love my city, I will believe it when I see it Sad
idiot
08 Jul 2021, 7:18 am #12

Unfortunately Michael its got to a point as much as I love my city, I will believe it when I see it Sad

V514DFT

08 Jul 2021, 9:52 am #13
As much as i dont really like Sunderland,im glad you's are getting a better railway station,Sunderland has been neglected for far too long imo (and thats coming from someone who is Newcastle born and bred) hopefully whilst theyre at it they'll remove the dark gloomy look aswell

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
08 Jul 2021, 9:52 am #13

As much as i dont really like Sunderland,im glad you's are getting a better railway station,Sunderland has been neglected for far too long imo (and thats coming from someone who is Newcastle born and bred) hopefully whilst theyre at it they'll remove the dark gloomy look aswell

Kind Regards
Tez

Michael

08 Jul 2021, 6:58 pm #14
(08 Jul 2021, 9:52 am)V514DFT As much as i dont really like Sunderland,im glad you's are getting a better railway station,Sunderland has been neglected for far too long imo (and thats coming from someone who is Newcastle born and bred) hopefully whilst theyre at it they'll remove the dark gloomy look aswell

I live in Sunderland I have to agree but its about time we got a new train station........ work starting next month too, can't wait to see it go.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Jul 2021, 6:58 pm #14

(08 Jul 2021, 9:52 am)V514DFT As much as i dont really like Sunderland,im glad you's are getting a better railway station,Sunderland has been neglected for far too long imo (and thats coming from someone who is Newcastle born and bred) hopefully whilst theyre at it they'll remove the dark gloomy look aswell

I live in Sunderland I have to agree but its about time we got a new train station........ work starting next month too, can't wait to see it go.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

BusLoverMum

08 Jul 2021, 10:33 pm #15
I was there last week (visiting sewing machine shop) and noticed that all the shops had moved on. I can imagine a lack of urgency, tbh.

Will the multistory car park replace the central car park that nothing wider than a Nissan note can get on and out of without major cosmetic damage?
Edited 08 Jul 2021, 10:36 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
08 Jul 2021, 10:33 pm #15

I was there last week (visiting sewing machine shop) and noticed that all the shops had moved on. I can imagine a lack of urgency, tbh.

Will the multistory car park replace the central car park that nothing wider than a Nissan note can get on and out of without major cosmetic damage?

09 Jul 2021, 4:32 pm #16
To be fair all I have seen is a new forecourt and concourse, it doesn't matter how smart it may appear up top, the platforms are still a disgrace and there seems little scope for getting rid of everything between High West Street and Holmeside and doing what has been needed for 60 years and opening the station up again. bar the concourse. A redesign is needed to separate metro trains, reopen the lost two platforms and reinstate the permanent way alignment at the north end.
54APhotography
09 Jul 2021, 4:32 pm #16

To be fair all I have seen is a new forecourt and concourse, it doesn't matter how smart it may appear up top, the platforms are still a disgrace and there seems little scope for getting rid of everything between High West Street and Holmeside and doing what has been needed for 60 years and opening the station up again. bar the concourse. A redesign is needed to separate metro trains, reopen the lost two platforms and reinstate the permanent way alignment at the north end.

09 Jul 2021, 5:10 pm #17
(09 Jul 2021, 4:32 pm)54APhotography To be fair all I have seen is a new forecourt and concourse, it doesn't matter how smart it may appear up top, the platforms are still a disgrace and there seems little scope for getting rid of everything between High West Street and Holmeside and doing what has been needed for 60 years and opening the station up again. bar the concourse. A redesign is needed to separate metro trains, reopen the lost two platforms and reinstate the permanent way alignment at the north end.
In the Nexus press release it does say there will be "Major works to the platform-level of the station ... with the ambition to increase capacity by creating a four track, four platform station that separates Nexus and Metro, on one platform, from mainline services" so you'll get exactly what you said.  Big Grin
Adtrainsam
09 Jul 2021, 5:10 pm #17

(09 Jul 2021, 4:32 pm)54APhotography To be fair all I have seen is a new forecourt and concourse, it doesn't matter how smart it may appear up top, the platforms are still a disgrace and there seems little scope for getting rid of everything between High West Street and Holmeside and doing what has been needed for 60 years and opening the station up again. bar the concourse. A redesign is needed to separate metro trains, reopen the lost two platforms and reinstate the permanent way alignment at the north end.
In the Nexus press release it does say there will be "Major works to the platform-level of the station ... with the ambition to increase capacity by creating a four track, four platform station that separates Nexus and Metro, on one platform, from mainline services" so you'll get exactly what you said.  Big Grin

09 Jul 2021, 5:47 pm #18
(09 Jul 2021, 5:10 pm)Adtrainsam In the Nexus press release it does say there will be "Major works to the platform-level of the station ... with the ambition to increase capacity by creating a four track, four platform station that separates Nexus and Metro, on one platform, from mainline services" so you'll get exactly what you said.  Big Grin
I have since noted the Nexus statement. but the whole show would still appear to be entirely covered. with the town's retail in permanent decline it would be better to take out both poundland blocks in their entirety, adequate floorspace is available in the bridges for them.
54APhotography
09 Jul 2021, 5:47 pm #18

(09 Jul 2021, 5:10 pm)Adtrainsam In the Nexus press release it does say there will be "Major works to the platform-level of the station ... with the ambition to increase capacity by creating a four track, four platform station that separates Nexus and Metro, on one platform, from mainline services" so you'll get exactly what you said.  Big Grin
I have since noted the Nexus statement. but the whole show would still appear to be entirely covered. with the town's retail in permanent decline it would be better to take out both poundland blocks in their entirety, adequate floorspace is available in the bridges for them.

Michael

20 Aug 2021, 5:17 pm #19
From the Skyscrapercity site:

I've just heard that the Council have purchased the land where the railway club and Sinatra's is situated, likely for the multi storey car park.

Interesting, apparently the owner got a Million quid for Sinatra's.......... from a council which apparently has NO money..........................

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 Aug 2021, 5:17 pm #19

From the Skyscrapercity site:

I've just heard that the Council have purchased the land where the railway club and Sinatra's is situated, likely for the multi storey car park.

Interesting, apparently the owner got a Million quid for Sinatra's.......... from a council which apparently has NO money..........................

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

20 Aug 2021, 5:35 pm #20
Called for the accounts to be made public, in any case a car park there is just like sweets in a broken shop window. Holmeside is a criminal paradise now.
54APhotography
20 Aug 2021, 5:35 pm #20

Called for the accounts to be made public, in any case a car park there is just like sweets in a broken shop window. Holmeside is a criminal paradise now.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average