Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Pricing

Pricing

Pricing

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (89) Previous 160 61 6289 Next
BusLoverMum

06 Jan 2020, 10:49 pm #1,201
(05 Jan 2020, 9:18 pm)deanmachine Might stop a bit of the confusion with us GNE drivers when kids get on with £1 thinking it's the same as Stagecoach. Or maybe it won't, because kids.
It was £1 for kids on GNE until September so it's an easy mistake to make.

(05 Jan 2020, 10:37 pm)Storx Depends on the journey I've found for that. Arriva have fare zones which are roughly every three or four bus stops whereas GNE have zones which cover miles so if you live at the start of the zone it's expensive but live at the end of it then it's cheaper.

I believe the 21 zones from Newcastle are Newcastle through to Harlow Green (£1.70) then there all the way through to Barley Moor (£3.10) then to Plawsworth (£3.60) then Durham (£4.60). So if you got on at Harlow Green it'll be quite cheap get on the next bus stop the Coach and Horses it's £3.10 and a rip off whereas Arriva will have a fare to The Cannon, Harlow Green, Coach and Horses, Birtley (£2.60'ish I believe), Barley Moor etc.

Arriva have an invisible boundary tax where if you cross the Tyne and Wear / Northumberland boundary there's a massive fare jump for no reason at all however. I know at one point it was cheaper to buy a single from Seghill to Annitsford then a single from there to Newcastle than it was to buy a single from Seghill to Newcastle on the X7.
Arriva are definitely cheaper around Durham city. It used to be that it was cheaper to buy Arriva weekly/monthly tickets than GNE to get to Spenny, too, though the GNE zones change may have fixed that as an ANE durham district ticket has become more pricey as that area has expanded and GNE all zones isn't much more, now. It's still cheaper to get to Newcastle and back from durham on ANE but I've only ever done that once. I set out to do that another time and the X12 didn't even show up, so I just got the next Angel and a Castles daysaver. I'd rather pay a pound odd more for a guarantee that I don't have to wait an hour for a bus to show up.
Edited 06 Jan 2020, 10:56 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
06 Jan 2020, 10:49 pm #1,201

(05 Jan 2020, 9:18 pm)deanmachine Might stop a bit of the confusion with us GNE drivers when kids get on with £1 thinking it's the same as Stagecoach. Or maybe it won't, because kids.
It was £1 for kids on GNE until September so it's an easy mistake to make.

(05 Jan 2020, 10:37 pm)Storx Depends on the journey I've found for that. Arriva have fare zones which are roughly every three or four bus stops whereas GNE have zones which cover miles so if you live at the start of the zone it's expensive but live at the end of it then it's cheaper.

I believe the 21 zones from Newcastle are Newcastle through to Harlow Green (£1.70) then there all the way through to Barley Moor (£3.10) then to Plawsworth (£3.60) then Durham (£4.60). So if you got on at Harlow Green it'll be quite cheap get on the next bus stop the Coach and Horses it's £3.10 and a rip off whereas Arriva will have a fare to The Cannon, Harlow Green, Coach and Horses, Birtley (£2.60'ish I believe), Barley Moor etc.

Arriva have an invisible boundary tax where if you cross the Tyne and Wear / Northumberland boundary there's a massive fare jump for no reason at all however. I know at one point it was cheaper to buy a single from Seghill to Annitsford then a single from there to Newcastle than it was to buy a single from Seghill to Newcastle on the X7.
Arriva are definitely cheaper around Durham city. It used to be that it was cheaper to buy Arriva weekly/monthly tickets than GNE to get to Spenny, too, though the GNE zones change may have fixed that as an ANE durham district ticket has become more pricey as that area has expanded and GNE all zones isn't much more, now. It's still cheaper to get to Newcastle and back from durham on ANE but I've only ever done that once. I set out to do that another time and the X12 didn't even show up, so I just got the next Angel and a Castles daysaver. I'd rather pay a pound odd more for a guarantee that I don't have to wait an hour for a bus to show up.

07 Jan 2020, 11:28 am #1,202
No mention of the 3-4 day ticket since MG tweeted about it. Hopefully it will be introduced soon. I think it will be a good addition to GNE's range of tickets, but we don't know much about it yet.
OrangeArrow49
07 Jan 2020, 11:28 am #1,202

No mention of the 3-4 day ticket since MG tweeted about it. Hopefully it will be introduced soon. I think it will be a good addition to GNE's range of tickets, but we don't know much about it yet.

07 Jan 2020, 12:18 pm #1,203
(06 Jan 2020, 10:49 pm)BusLoverMum It was £1 for kids on GNE until September so it's an easy mistake to make.

I used the X12 between Durham and Newcastle during CTBW, and I will never be doing it again!
I made an effort of trying to only use Arriva services that day and I was genuinely surprised how unreliable the Arriva services were, I know it's not unusual to have 2 6 services following each other from Bishop to Durham, but I just put that down to the 6 being far too frequent. 
To be fair though, the X12 back down was actually on time, whereas the 21 never showed! 

If we look at the pricing of the X21 and the Arriva 6, it's all a bit of a mess!
If you're travelling between Bishop Auckland and Durham, for a day ticket (Auckland Castle Saver and Service 6 Routesaver), it's the same price, but for the weekly ticket Arriva is £2.50 cheaper.
If you want to travel between West Auckland and Durham, for the day ticket (Xlines X21 Saver and Service 6 Routesaver Plus), GNE is 50p cheaper, but for the weekly ticket Arriva is 20p cheaper. However, the GNE ticket will allow you to travel between West Auckland and Newcastle, whereas the Arriva ticket is only West Auckland to Durham (Fram during peak times)
Now, if we look at single prices, from Tindale to Spennymoor on Arriva it's £4.80 (according to live chat anyway, I ended up buying a day ticket instead so don't know if it's accurate), with GNE it's only £3.10, but from Tindale to Bishop with Arriva it's £1.40 and GNE £1.60.
streetdeckfan
07 Jan 2020, 12:18 pm #1,203

(06 Jan 2020, 10:49 pm)BusLoverMum It was £1 for kids on GNE until September so it's an easy mistake to make.

I used the X12 between Durham and Newcastle during CTBW, and I will never be doing it again!
I made an effort of trying to only use Arriva services that day and I was genuinely surprised how unreliable the Arriva services were, I know it's not unusual to have 2 6 services following each other from Bishop to Durham, but I just put that down to the 6 being far too frequent. 
To be fair though, the X12 back down was actually on time, whereas the 21 never showed! 

If we look at the pricing of the X21 and the Arriva 6, it's all a bit of a mess!
If you're travelling between Bishop Auckland and Durham, for a day ticket (Auckland Castle Saver and Service 6 Routesaver), it's the same price, but for the weekly ticket Arriva is £2.50 cheaper.
If you want to travel between West Auckland and Durham, for the day ticket (Xlines X21 Saver and Service 6 Routesaver Plus), GNE is 50p cheaper, but for the weekly ticket Arriva is 20p cheaper. However, the GNE ticket will allow you to travel between West Auckland and Newcastle, whereas the Arriva ticket is only West Auckland to Durham (Fram during peak times)
Now, if we look at single prices, from Tindale to Spennymoor on Arriva it's £4.80 (according to live chat anyway, I ended up buying a day ticket instead so don't know if it's accurate), with GNE it's only £3.10, but from Tindale to Bishop with Arriva it's £1.40 and GNE £1.60.

BusLoverMum

07 Jan 2020, 4:43 pm #1,204
(07 Jan 2020, 12:18 pm)streetdeckfan I used the X12 between Durham and Newcastle during CTBW, and I will never be doing it again!

A service 6 routesaver is no good to me as I have to get the 64 before the 6, hence the Durham District ticket. I can get the X21 door to door but it's less frequent and I've spent enough time waiting at 4 lane ends for a lifetime, already.

The problem with the 6 is largely congestion on church street and south road, combined with students who catch it in their dozens to save a 10 minute walk. As soon as you add any complications like the current roadworks around Tudhoe then it can't keep time at all. It's a busy service at almost any time on a weekday so definitely not too frequent.
BusLoverMum
07 Jan 2020, 4:43 pm #1,204

(07 Jan 2020, 12:18 pm)streetdeckfan I used the X12 between Durham and Newcastle during CTBW, and I will never be doing it again!

A service 6 routesaver is no good to me as I have to get the 64 before the 6, hence the Durham District ticket. I can get the X21 door to door but it's less frequent and I've spent enough time waiting at 4 lane ends for a lifetime, already.

The problem with the 6 is largely congestion on church street and south road, combined with students who catch it in their dozens to save a 10 minute walk. As soon as you add any complications like the current roadworks around Tudhoe then it can't keep time at all. It's a busy service at almost any time on a weekday so definitely not too frequent.

Adrian

07 Jan 2020, 8:14 pm #1,205
(07 Jan 2020, 11:28 am)OrangeArrow49 No mention of the 3-4 day ticket since MG tweeted about it. Hopefully it will be introduced soon. I think it will be a good addition to GNE's range of tickets, but we don't know much about it yet.

It was only about 4 days ago he tweeted it. Give them a chance! Smile

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Jan 2020, 8:14 pm #1,205

(07 Jan 2020, 11:28 am)OrangeArrow49 No mention of the 3-4 day ticket since MG tweeted about it. Hopefully it will be introduced soon. I think it will be a good addition to GNE's range of tickets, but we don't know much about it yet.

It was only about 4 days ago he tweeted it. Give them a chance! Smile

07 Jan 2020, 8:32 pm #1,206
(07 Jan 2020, 8:14 pm)Adrian It was only about 4 days ago he tweeted it. Give them a chance! Smile

Fair enough. I am just excited because he didn't give much away! They recently introduced the 24 hour and evening tickets, all praise for GNE! Stagecoach only has singles and day tickets, then weekly, monthly, annual (?)...boring, very limited ticket range. Stagecoach could get away with higher fares on expresses than normal services if they wanted to, and then introduce route savers for services only going into the City Centre, not passing through like the 12, 22, 39/40, 62/63 etc, so all expresses and the 71, 72 and 87.
OrangeArrow49
07 Jan 2020, 8:32 pm #1,206

(07 Jan 2020, 8:14 pm)Adrian It was only about 4 days ago he tweeted it. Give them a chance! Smile

Fair enough. I am just excited because he didn't give much away! They recently introduced the 24 hour and evening tickets, all praise for GNE! Stagecoach only has singles and day tickets, then weekly, monthly, annual (?)...boring, very limited ticket range. Stagecoach could get away with higher fares on expresses than normal services if they wanted to, and then introduce route savers for services only going into the City Centre, not passing through like the 12, 22, 39/40, 62/63 etc, so all expresses and the 71, 72 and 87.

Andreos1

16 Jan 2020, 2:14 pm #1,207
The bus users UK twitter feed is a cracking read today. 
Hopefully it has woken a few from their ignorant slumber and we see changes ahead. 

https://twitter.com/BusUsersUK/status/12...90177?s=19

https://twitter.com/BusUsersUK/status/12...21321?s=19

Just two examples.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Jan 2020, 2:14 pm #1,207

The bus users UK twitter feed is a cracking read today. 
Hopefully it has woken a few from their ignorant slumber and we see changes ahead. 

Just two examples.

BusLoverMum

16 Jan 2020, 11:14 pm #1,208
(16 Jan 2020, 2:14 pm)Andreos1 The bus users UK twitter feed is a cracking read today. 

Just two examples.
Hell, they came across an account that seemed to be run by Katie Hopkins in her bus driver days.
BusLoverMum
16 Jan 2020, 11:14 pm #1,208

(16 Jan 2020, 2:14 pm)Andreos1 The bus users UK twitter feed is a cracking read today. 

Just two examples.
Hell, they came across an account that seemed to be run by Katie Hopkins in her bus driver days.

16 Jan 2020, 11:59 pm #1,209
(16 Jan 2020, 11:14 pm)BusLoverMum Hell, they came across an account that seemed to be run by Katie Hopkins in her bus driver days.

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

These days, especially on social media, the only way to get your point across is to be louder than everyone else.

It's no use hiding behind a corporate image, the most successful people/companies are the ones that say exactly what they think, have a bit of fun, have arguments, heck even cause 'offence' (though as we all know, offence can only be taken, not given). It's why the likes of Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan are so popular.
streetdeckfan
16 Jan 2020, 11:59 pm #1,209

(16 Jan 2020, 11:14 pm)BusLoverMum Hell, they came across an account that seemed to be run by Katie Hopkins in her bus driver days.

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

These days, especially on social media, the only way to get your point across is to be louder than everyone else.

It's no use hiding behind a corporate image, the most successful people/companies are the ones that say exactly what they think, have a bit of fun, have arguments, heck even cause 'offence' (though as we all know, offence can only be taken, not given). It's why the likes of Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan are so popular.

BusLoverMum

17 Jan 2020, 12:52 pm #1,210
(16 Jan 2020, 11:59 pm)streetdeckfan Is that necessarily a bad thing?

I think it is a bad thing when the responsibility is put on often vulnerable people not to be upset by other people's unpleasantness.
BusLoverMum
17 Jan 2020, 12:52 pm #1,210

(16 Jan 2020, 11:59 pm)streetdeckfan Is that necessarily a bad thing?

I think it is a bad thing when the responsibility is put on often vulnerable people not to be upset by other people's unpleasantness.

Andreos1

17 Jan 2020, 1:07 pm #1,211

It was certainly something that stirred conversation and if it has the desired result for passengers - brilliant.

Andreos1
17 Jan 2020, 1:07 pm #1,211

It was certainly something that stirred conversation and if it has the desired result for passengers - brilliant.

15 Feb 2020, 7:51 pm #1,212
Stagecoach fares going up tomorrow. Ridiculous.
OrangeArrow49
15 Feb 2020, 7:51 pm #1,212

Stagecoach fares going up tomorrow. Ridiculous.

18 Feb 2020, 11:58 am #1,213
(15 Feb 2020, 7:51 pm)OrangeArrow49 Stagecoach fares going up tomorrow. Ridiculous.

Nothing to do with having to fund Euro 6 mods, paying their staff in line with inflation and buying new buses then? Not to mention the fluctuating fuel prices which are bouncing up and down by 10p every so often...
omnicity4659
18 Feb 2020, 11:58 am #1,213

(15 Feb 2020, 7:51 pm)OrangeArrow49 Stagecoach fares going up tomorrow. Ridiculous.

Nothing to do with having to fund Euro 6 mods, paying their staff in line with inflation and buying new buses then? Not to mention the fluctuating fuel prices which are bouncing up and down by 10p every so often...

18 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm #1,214
(18 Feb 2020, 11:58 am)omnicity4659 Nothing to do with having to fund Euro 6 mods, paying their staff in line with inflation and buying new buses then? Not to mention the fluctuating fuel prices which are bouncing up and down by 10p every so often...

When I needed to travel in to Stagecoach territory I was looking at the tickets and thought they were too cheap so I'm not surprised they've put them up.
The issue is people these days just expect everything to be handed to them for free and don't seem to take in to account the actual costs of doing business!

I think I've mentioned it before, but people look at the price of a bus ticket in London and think it should be that price everywhere without realising that it's heavily subsidised, and even then once you've done a few journeys it actually works out cheaper up here with the day/week tickets.
streetdeckfan
18 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm #1,214

(18 Feb 2020, 11:58 am)omnicity4659 Nothing to do with having to fund Euro 6 mods, paying their staff in line with inflation and buying new buses then? Not to mention the fluctuating fuel prices which are bouncing up and down by 10p every so often...

When I needed to travel in to Stagecoach territory I was looking at the tickets and thought they were too cheap so I'm not surprised they've put them up.
The issue is people these days just expect everything to be handed to them for free and don't seem to take in to account the actual costs of doing business!

I think I've mentioned it before, but people look at the price of a bus ticket in London and think it should be that price everywhere without realising that it's heavily subsidised, and even then once you've done a few journeys it actually works out cheaper up here with the day/week tickets.

18 Feb 2020, 8:10 pm #1,215

For me personally, Go North East is better value. As for Euro 6 modifications, I doubt the average passenger cares, or is even aware this is happening. Paying their staff in line with inflation, buying new buses and fuel prices I can understand, however they could put their fares up by more, and less often to cover these costs which they plan for in advance, in addition to offering an equal service. Some of my local buses are newer than others, but are certainly not the newest, and that is when they actually turn up! From personal experience, the buses are mixed between old and new, and the service provided is well...not always provided. Stagecoach has been a big problem in my life, for education, for work and for leisure (and for volunteering, but that is less of an issue, even though still an issue). I do not like Stagecoach or Gateshead Central Taxis, and don't use Arriva because I find them even worse! Go North East is the best for me.
OrangeArrow49
18 Feb 2020, 8:10 pm #1,215

For me personally, Go North East is better value. As for Euro 6 modifications, I doubt the average passenger cares, or is even aware this is happening. Paying their staff in line with inflation, buying new buses and fuel prices I can understand, however they could put their fares up by more, and less often to cover these costs which they plan for in advance, in addition to offering an equal service. Some of my local buses are newer than others, but are certainly not the newest, and that is when they actually turn up! From personal experience, the buses are mixed between old and new, and the service provided is well...not always provided. Stagecoach has been a big problem in my life, for education, for work and for leisure (and for volunteering, but that is less of an issue, even though still an issue). I do not like Stagecoach or Gateshead Central Taxis, and don't use Arriva because I find them even worse! Go North East is the best for me.

Andreos1

18 Feb 2020, 9:12 pm #1,216

Surely a business like Stagecoach have bought their fuel well in advance? Most if not all of the big operators hedge their fuel. 

However going back to the other points you raise, they might all be true. Except that isn't what SNE are telling the media. 
They're telling the media that traffic is causing issues and to counter that traffic, they're having to use extra buses. 

"Operating costs within our business have risen, predominantly due to the growing effect of congestion in our towns and cities, which pushes up the cost of delivering our services and impacts our ability to keep fares low for our customers. For example, in   Newcastle over the last five year, Stagecoach North East has increased the number of vehicles required during peak times by an additional 10 buses as a direct result of traffic congestion.

"Using additional vehicles and drivers to try and maintain punctuality for customers adds almost £2m each year.

Source: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on...e-17760592

We all know that raising prices isn't going to reduce the amount of traffic on the road. I would hazard a guess and say that it may have the opposite effect and increase traffic on the road.

Andreos1
18 Feb 2020, 9:12 pm #1,216

Surely a business like Stagecoach have bought their fuel well in advance? Most if not all of the big operators hedge their fuel. 

However going back to the other points you raise, they might all be true. Except that isn't what SNE are telling the media. 
They're telling the media that traffic is causing issues and to counter that traffic, they're having to use extra buses. 

"Operating costs within our business have risen, predominantly due to the growing effect of congestion in our towns and cities, which pushes up the cost of delivering our services and impacts our ability to keep fares low for our customers. For example, in   Newcastle over the last five year, Stagecoach North East has increased the number of vehicles required during peak times by an additional 10 buses as a direct result of traffic congestion.

"Using additional vehicles and drivers to try and maintain punctuality for customers adds almost £2m each year.

We all know that raising prices isn't going to reduce the amount of traffic on the road. I would hazard a guess and say that it may have the opposite effect and increase traffic on the road.

Storx

18 Feb 2020, 9:45 pm #1,217
To be fair to Stagecoach most their tickets are reasonably priced and even with the increases aren't bad value. The day ticket in Newcastle is the same price as a single for certain journeys with GNE and Arriva from just just outside of T&W (the same distance as Ponteland where it's only £4.70 for a day). It's £4.60 for a single from Ouston to Gateshead for example.
Storx
18 Feb 2020, 9:45 pm #1,217

To be fair to Stagecoach most their tickets are reasonably priced and even with the increases aren't bad value. The day ticket in Newcastle is the same price as a single for certain journeys with GNE and Arriva from just just outside of T&W (the same distance as Ponteland where it's only £4.70 for a day). It's £4.60 for a single from Ouston to Gateshead for example.

Andreos1

18 Feb 2020, 10:04 pm #1,218
(18 Feb 2020, 9:45 pm)Storx To be fair to Stagecoach most their tickets are reasonably priced and even with the increases aren't bad value. The day ticket in Newcastle is the same price as a single for certain journeys with GNE and Arriva from just just outside of T&W (the same distance as Ponteland where it's only £4.70 for a day). It's £4.60 for a single from Ouston to Gateshead for example.

I agree that compared to some, the prices are more attractive. 
Could it be that there's more competition on the local SNE services (longer distance ANE and GNE ops and Metro as an example) or are they pricing their offer in such a way that it meets the financial demands of the markets they're serving?

Either way, I can't see the logic in their statement at all. 
Using basic economics and following the demand curve principle, then passenger numbers will fall.
That's forgetting that any traffic they're blaming, could get worse.

Andreos1
18 Feb 2020, 10:04 pm #1,218

(18 Feb 2020, 9:45 pm)Storx To be fair to Stagecoach most their tickets are reasonably priced and even with the increases aren't bad value. The day ticket in Newcastle is the same price as a single for certain journeys with GNE and Arriva from just just outside of T&W (the same distance as Ponteland where it's only £4.70 for a day). It's £4.60 for a single from Ouston to Gateshead for example.

I agree that compared to some, the prices are more attractive. 
Could it be that there's more competition on the local SNE services (longer distance ANE and GNE ops and Metro as an example) or are they pricing their offer in such a way that it meets the financial demands of the markets they're serving?

Either way, I can't see the logic in their statement at all. 
Using basic economics and following the demand curve principle, then passenger numbers will fall.

Storx

18 Feb 2020, 11:47 pm #1,219
(18 Feb 2020, 10:04 pm)Andreos1 I agree that compared to some, the prices are more attractive. 

I always thought it was more the opposite way around especially with the West End. Charge it at a rate which is just enough and reasonable to the customer instead of charging too much and letting the competition sneak in as the majority of their bus routes have little / no competition at all but not too cheap that their losing money. On the other hand GNE, Arriva and the Metro are battling each other and also have run long distance services through pretty much no-where with some routes.

It wouldn't surprise me if Stagecoach had the top 5 busiest bus routes in the North East. (1, 22, 38, 39/40 and 62/63). There's only really the 21 which could come close to any of those.

(18 Feb 2020, 10:04 pm)Andreos1 Either way, I can't see the logic in their statement at all. 

Imagine it being a bunch of people around a table with a job of 'What reason can we use which doesn't sound as bad as petrol prices and inflation' and that's the best which they came up with. Not particularly the best neither.
Storx
18 Feb 2020, 11:47 pm #1,219

(18 Feb 2020, 10:04 pm)Andreos1 I agree that compared to some, the prices are more attractive. 

I always thought it was more the opposite way around especially with the West End. Charge it at a rate which is just enough and reasonable to the customer instead of charging too much and letting the competition sneak in as the majority of their bus routes have little / no competition at all but not too cheap that their losing money. On the other hand GNE, Arriva and the Metro are battling each other and also have run long distance services through pretty much no-where with some routes.

It wouldn't surprise me if Stagecoach had the top 5 busiest bus routes in the North East. (1, 22, 38, 39/40 and 62/63). There's only really the 21 which could come close to any of those.

(18 Feb 2020, 10:04 pm)Andreos1 Either way, I can't see the logic in their statement at all. 

Imagine it being a bunch of people around a table with a job of 'What reason can we use which doesn't sound as bad as petrol prices and inflation' and that's the best which they came up with. Not particularly the best neither.

Adrian

19 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm #1,220

As others have said, the majority of customers won't have a clue what Euro 6 is or means. I'd be surprised if the majority are interested in operational matters either.

Interested re: the comment on paying staff in line with inflation. Are you saying they're consistent at making pay offers either above or inline with inflation?

(18 Feb 2020, 9:12 pm)Andreos1 Surely a business like Stagecoach have bought their fuel well in advance? Most if not all of the big operators hedge their fuel. 

Spot on. There's a lot of talk from operators at the moment about congestion and making buses (and public transport in general) more attractive to try and combat it, but I'm not sure what they hope to achieve by further pricing people away from it.

Stagecoach's operation in the North East is very much no-frills. They have a national model and they continue to make square pegs fit into round holes, wherever they look to operate. There's no attempt to even try and encourage people out of their car, unlike GNE for example, who have continued to innovate over a number of years and try new things. The new buses and spec on the X30, in my opinion, being a really good example.

Its going to take more than just the local authority and Government to help combat congestion. The real challenge starts at the operators doors.

Adrian
19 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm #1,220

As others have said, the majority of customers won't have a clue what Euro 6 is or means. I'd be surprised if the majority are interested in operational matters either.

Interested re: the comment on paying staff in line with inflation. Are you saying they're consistent at making pay offers either above or inline with inflation?

(18 Feb 2020, 9:12 pm)Andreos1 Surely a business like Stagecoach have bought their fuel well in advance? Most if not all of the big operators hedge their fuel. 

Spot on. There's a lot of talk from operators at the moment about congestion and making buses (and public transport in general) more attractive to try and combat it, but I'm not sure what they hope to achieve by further pricing people away from it.

Stagecoach's operation in the North East is very much no-frills. They have a national model and they continue to make square pegs fit into round holes, wherever they look to operate. There's no attempt to even try and encourage people out of their car, unlike GNE for example, who have continued to innovate over a number of years and try new things. The new buses and spec on the X30, in my opinion, being a really good example.

Its going to take more than just the local authority and Government to help combat congestion. The real challenge starts at the operators doors.

Pages (89) Previous 160 61 6289 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average