Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Pricing

Pricing

Pricing

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (89): Previous 171 72 7389 Next
Adrian

09 Jun 2021, 6:30 pm #1,421
(09 Jun 2021, 6:15 pm)BusLoverMum Just followed a link from an arriva email about their current tickets. The pricing is all over the place. I scanned the family ticket prices. You would think the region wide family ticket would be the most expensive at £14 but there are several that cost more, for example the  Durham District family ticket at £15.50
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/floating-pag...urce=email&utm_medium=challenger_orange_cta&utm_campaign=WHFY

I do like the idea of the duo tickets, mind.

Odd! Pay more to travel across a smaller area... Same with Durham City and the Durham City and Brandon ticket. It's almost double the price without Brandon! 

I think they've completely over complicated this with the vast range of pricing, but I do like the idea of a reduced price ticket for more local journeys. They'd have been better off sticking to one price for the North East and any local versions capped at one and the same price.

Agree on the duo too. Replicates something available with a railcard.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Jun 2021, 6:30 pm #1,421

(09 Jun 2021, 6:15 pm)BusLoverMum Just followed a link from an arriva email about their current tickets. The pricing is all over the place. I scanned the family ticket prices. You would think the region wide family ticket would be the most expensive at £14 but there are several that cost more, for example the  Durham District family ticket at £15.50
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/floating-pag...urce=email&utm_medium=challenger_orange_cta&utm_campaign=WHFY

I do like the idea of the duo tickets, mind.

Odd! Pay more to travel across a smaller area... Same with Durham City and the Durham City and Brandon ticket. It's almost double the price without Brandon! 

I think they've completely over complicated this with the vast range of pricing, but I do like the idea of a reduced price ticket for more local journeys. They'd have been better off sticking to one price for the North East and any local versions capped at one and the same price.

Agree on the duo too. Replicates something available with a railcard.

LVK 404L

16 Jun 2021, 6:36 am #1,422
Have I missed this being introduced.

Network One 7 day All Zones Plus.

Valid on all bus services Tyne and Wear, County Durham and Northumberland, along with the Metro and Shields Ferry.
Priced at £34 for 7 days travel.  That's not a bad price now they have extended to cover Tyne and Wear and Northumberland
Info from GNE fares and tickets section on website
LVK 404L
16 Jun 2021, 6:36 am #1,422

Have I missed this being introduced.

Valid on all bus services Tyne and Wear, County Durham and Northumberland, along with the Metro and Shields Ferry.
Priced at £34 for 7 days travel.  That's not a bad price now they have extended to cover Tyne and Wear and Northumberland

tcts24

16 Jun 2021, 8:13 am #1,423
Arriva's East Durham tickets don't make a great deal of sense either. There's the 3 seperate zones and an "all zones" ticket, which you would think covers the same area as the Seaham & Sunderland, Peterlee and Hartlepool zones combined... Yet it doesn't!
Haswell is in the Peterlee zone but not the East Durham All Zones.
tcts24
16 Jun 2021, 8:13 am #1,423

Arriva's East Durham tickets don't make a great deal of sense either. There's the 3 seperate zones and an "all zones" ticket, which you would think covers the same area as the Seaham & Sunderland, Peterlee and Hartlepool zones combined... Yet it doesn't!
Haswell is in the Peterlee zone but not the East Durham All Zones.

16 Jun 2021, 9:04 am #1,424
(16 Jun 2021, 6:36 am)ifm001 Have I missed this being introduced.

Wait, what?

I can't seem to find that..

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
16 Jun 2021, 9:04 am #1,424

Wait, what?

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Jun 2021, 9:18 am #1,425
(16 Jun 2021, 9:04 am)streetdeckfan Wait, what?

It’s being officially launched next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
16 Jun 2021, 9:18 am #1,425

It’s being officially launched next week.

16 Jun 2021, 9:25 am #1,426
(16 Jun 2021, 9:18 am)Dan It’s being officially launched next week.

Depending on the coverage, that's basically the ticket I've been wanting for years now!
streetdeckfan
16 Jun 2021, 9:25 am #1,426

(16 Jun 2021, 9:18 am)Dan It’s being officially launched next week.

Depending on the coverage, that's basically the ticket I've been wanting for years now!

LVK 404L

16 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm #1,427

Go North Easr Website Homepage.
About
Fares and Tickets
Better than Ever Tickets
Select Network One 7 day All Zones Plus
All info there
LVK 404L
16 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm #1,427

Go North Easr Website Homepage.
About
Fares and Tickets
Better than Ever Tickets
All info there

16 Jun 2021, 4:15 pm #1,428
(16 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm)ifm001 Go North Easr Website Homepage.
About
Fares and Tickets
Better than Ever Tickets
All info there

Aah, I was being logical and looked under Multi-operator tickets and then Network One.

Of course I'd expect it to be under Better than Ever Tickets!
streetdeckfan
16 Jun 2021, 4:15 pm #1,428

(16 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm)ifm001 Go North Easr Website Homepage.
About
Fares and Tickets
Better than Ever Tickets
All info there

Aah, I was being logical and looked under Multi-operator tickets and then Network One.

Of course I'd expect it to be under Better than Ever Tickets!

Adrian

17 Jun 2021, 12:07 pm #1,429
Its great value if you're just using it for an odd week. I'd probably get one if I was off for a week, as I'd get my money worth out of it. But as there's no monthly option, it works out a bit pricey at around £152 a month.

Hopefully under Enhanced Partnerships, they can further develop and enhance Network One, rather than just adding on to an aged system. Proper monthly and annual options, a bus only version and perhaps one that integrates with rail too.

I'd also like to see the ability to mix zones too, so you could purchase a Northumberland + Tyne and Wear zones, a County Durham + Tyne and Wear zones, or a Tees Valley + County Durham. Those are more likely options to be commuting journeys, and I'd say those that travel across multiple counties are in their minority.

Adrian
17 Jun 2021, 12:07 pm #1,429

Its great value if you're just using it for an odd week. I'd probably get one if I was off for a week, as I'd get my money worth out of it. But as there's no monthly option, it works out a bit pricey at around £152 a month.

Hopefully under Enhanced Partnerships, they can further develop and enhance Network One, rather than just adding on to an aged system. Proper monthly and annual options, a bus only version and perhaps one that integrates with rail too.

I'd also like to see the ability to mix zones too, so you could purchase a Northumberland + Tyne and Wear zones, a County Durham + Tyne and Wear zones, or a Tees Valley + County Durham. Those are more likely options to be commuting journeys, and I'd say those that travel across multiple counties are in their minority.

17 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm #1,430
(17 Jun 2021, 12:07 pm)Adrian Its great value if you're just using it for an odd week. I'd probably get one if I was off for a week, as I'd get my money worth out of it. But as there's no monthly option, it works out a bit pricey at around £152 a month.

Honestly I think £152 a month is a reasonable price.

I was quite happy paying the £110 a month for just GNE (before they separated the X9/X10), and I was probably spending another £20-30 a month in Arriva tickets since the X21 doesn't go back to Tindale after 4pm, and doesn't run at all on a Sunday.

Obviously I'd rather not have to pay for Northumberland since I rarely go there, but once things go back to normal I can see myself getting that ticket regularly.

streetdeckfan
17 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm #1,430

(17 Jun 2021, 12:07 pm)Adrian Its great value if you're just using it for an odd week. I'd probably get one if I was off for a week, as I'd get my money worth out of it. But as there's no monthly option, it works out a bit pricey at around £152 a month.

Honestly I think £152 a month is a reasonable price.

I was quite happy paying the £110 a month for just GNE (before they separated the X9/X10), and I was probably spending another £20-30 a month in Arriva tickets since the X21 doesn't go back to Tindale after 4pm, and doesn't run at all on a Sunday.

Obviously I'd rather not have to pay for Northumberland since I rarely go there, but once things go back to normal I can see myself getting that ticket regularly.

Storx

17 Jun 2021, 6:54 pm #1,431

Depends where your coming from tbh. I know someone who lives just across the border in Northumberland who used to do Bus / Metro / Bus with 2 different bus companies and the cheapest option for them was a daily explorer ticket which was roughly £45 a week (didn't work 5 days every week with holidays etc) so it's canny discount for him.

Would love to see the zones extended though just to cover the whole area, Tees Valley isn't part of it atm though it's just the NECA area (plus Darlington).

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/buy-tickets/...one/ane024 - Direct link for the Arriva ticket and the operating area.
Storx
17 Jun 2021, 6:54 pm #1,431

Depends where your coming from tbh. I know someone who lives just across the border in Northumberland who used to do Bus / Metro / Bus with 2 different bus companies and the cheapest option for them was a daily explorer ticket which was roughly £45 a week (didn't work 5 days every week with holidays etc) so it's canny discount for him.

Would love to see the zones extended though just to cover the whole area, Tees Valley isn't part of it atm though it's just the NECA area (plus Darlington).

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/buy-tickets/...one/ane024 - Direct link for the Arriva ticket and the operating area.

17 Jun 2021, 7:05 pm #1,432
I've always wonder why the explorer ticket doesn't get u futher than Blaydon or Sunderland on the train. As that ticket can get u to Morpeth, Carlisle, Middlesbrough. Places that are used by the Northern Trains
Micheal Aaron
17 Jun 2021, 7:05 pm #1,432

I've always wonder why the explorer ticket doesn't get u futher than Blaydon or Sunderland on the train. As that ticket can get u to Morpeth, Carlisle, Middlesbrough. Places that are used by the Northern Trains

Adrian

17 Jun 2021, 8:12 pm #1,433
(17 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm)streetdeckfan Honestly I think £152 a month is a reasonable price.

Is it though? Works out at £5 a day, and for that I'm close to the range where I could park my car for the day. Especially if car sharing with a colleague.

Adrian
17 Jun 2021, 8:12 pm #1,433

(17 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm)streetdeckfan Honestly I think £152 a month is a reasonable price.

Is it though? Works out at £5 a day, and for that I'm close to the range where I could park my car for the day. Especially if car sharing with a colleague.

17 Jun 2021, 11:09 pm #1,434
(17 Jun 2021, 8:12 pm)Adrian Is it though? Works out at £5 a day, and for that I'm close to the range where I could park my car for the day. Especially if car sharing with a colleague.

And how much does that car cost in insurance, tax, fuel etc.?
You could barely get a Corsa on finance for that price.
streetdeckfan
17 Jun 2021, 11:09 pm #1,434

(17 Jun 2021, 8:12 pm)Adrian Is it though? Works out at £5 a day, and for that I'm close to the range where I could park my car for the day. Especially if car sharing with a colleague.

And how much does that car cost in insurance, tax, fuel etc.?

Adrian

18 Jun 2021, 5:28 am #1,435
(17 Jun 2021, 11:09 pm)streetdeckfan And how much does that car cost in insurance, tax, fuel etc.?
It's being paid regardless, and the convenience factor comes into play.

Whether you like it or not, buses aren't convenient for the most part. You have a walk either side of the journey, you have to stand around waiting, and during peak times you could be stood for the entire journey.

This is which is why pricing has to be a significant saving, to even so much as interest people in making the switch. If its not, they'll continue using the car, regardless of how many arguments you pitch about insurance, tax and fuel.

Remember that car usage is increasing year on year, and bus usage is declining.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian
18 Jun 2021, 5:28 am #1,435

(17 Jun 2021, 11:09 pm)streetdeckfan And how much does that car cost in insurance, tax, fuel etc.?
It's being paid regardless, and the convenience factor comes into play.

Whether you like it or not, buses aren't convenient for the most part. You have a walk either side of the journey, you have to stand around waiting, and during peak times you could be stood for the entire journey.

This is which is why pricing has to be a significant saving, to even so much as interest people in making the switch. If its not, they'll continue using the car, regardless of how many arguments you pitch about insurance, tax and fuel.

Ambassador

18 Jun 2021, 2:52 pm #1,436
(18 Jun 2021, 5:28 am)Adrian It's being paid regardless, and the convenience factor comes into play.

Yeah convenience is king and even a cost saving vs a bus will be dismissed when you consider that factor.

And as shiny bells and whistles as some buses are, there is a perception of bus passengers, public transport in general which puts the general public off. This forum can be somewhat tinted because we enjoy transport but the vast majority of people don't and aren't using it out of choice.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
18 Jun 2021, 2:52 pm #1,436

(18 Jun 2021, 5:28 am)Adrian It's being paid regardless, and the convenience factor comes into play.

Yeah convenience is king and even a cost saving vs a bus will be dismissed when you consider that factor.

And as shiny bells and whistles as some buses are, there is a perception of bus passengers, public transport in general which puts the general public off. This forum can be somewhat tinted because we enjoy transport but the vast majority of people don't and aren't using it out of choice.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

mb134

18 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm #1,437
(18 Jun 2021, 2:52 pm)Ambassador Yeah convenience is king and even a cost saving vs a bus will be dismissed when you consider that factor.

Agreed. Folk with a car will be very unlikely to switch to buses for their commute, and there's a whole host of reasons. Changing weather, poor perceptions, minimal cost difference, huge time differences are just some. I think folk tend to forget on here that cars are also improving in terms of comfort. Heated seats, air conditioning, phone connectivity, and charging (amongst others) are all now commonplace in new vehicles - so realistically who is going to leave that on a drive on a December morning to go and stand for a bus - no matter how much Best Impressions have tarted it up.
mb134
18 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm #1,437

(18 Jun 2021, 2:52 pm)Ambassador Yeah convenience is king and even a cost saving vs a bus will be dismissed when you consider that factor.

Agreed. Folk with a car will be very unlikely to switch to buses for their commute, and there's a whole host of reasons. Changing weather, poor perceptions, minimal cost difference, huge time differences are just some. I think folk tend to forget on here that cars are also improving in terms of comfort. Heated seats, air conditioning, phone connectivity, and charging (amongst others) are all now commonplace in new vehicles - so realistically who is going to leave that on a drive on a December morning to go and stand for a bus - no matter how much Best Impressions have tarted it up.

18 Jun 2021, 6:24 pm #1,438
(17 Jun 2021, 7:05 pm)Micheal Aaron I've always wonder why the explorer ticket doesn't get u futher than Blaydon or Sunderland on the train. As that ticket can get u to Morpeth, Carlisle, Middlesbrough. Places that are used by the Northern Trains

I believe that journeys within Tyne & Wear are/were subsidised by Nexus, hence the ticket acceptance.
omnicity4659
18 Jun 2021, 6:24 pm #1,438

(17 Jun 2021, 7:05 pm)Micheal Aaron I've always wonder why the explorer ticket doesn't get u futher than Blaydon or Sunderland on the train. As that ticket can get u to Morpeth, Carlisle, Middlesbrough. Places that are used by the Northern Trains

I believe that journeys within Tyne & Wear are/were subsidised by Nexus, hence the ticket acceptance.

19 Jun 2021, 3:12 am #1,439
(18 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm)mb134 Agreed. Folk with a car will be very unlikely to switch to buses for their commute, and there's a whole host of reasons. Changing weather, poor perceptions, minimal cost difference, huge time differences are just some. I think folk tend to forget on here that cars are also improving in terms of comfort. Heated seats, air conditioning, phone connectivity, and charging (amongst others) are all now commonplace in new vehicles - so realistically who is going to leave that on a drive on a December morning to go and stand for a bus - no matter how much Best Impressions have tarted it up.

But what about those who don't already have a car, like myself?
streetdeckfan
19 Jun 2021, 3:12 am #1,439

(18 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm)mb134 Agreed. Folk with a car will be very unlikely to switch to buses for their commute, and there's a whole host of reasons. Changing weather, poor perceptions, minimal cost difference, huge time differences are just some. I think folk tend to forget on here that cars are also improving in terms of comfort. Heated seats, air conditioning, phone connectivity, and charging (amongst others) are all now commonplace in new vehicles - so realistically who is going to leave that on a drive on a December morning to go and stand for a bus - no matter how much Best Impressions have tarted it up.

But what about those who don't already have a car, like myself?

19 Jun 2021, 5:17 pm #1,440

That would also be an excellent fare for holidaymakers there for 4 days or more.
MetrolineGA1511
19 Jun 2021, 5:17 pm #1,440

That would also be an excellent fare for holidaymakers there for 4 days or more.

Pages (89): Previous 171 72 7389 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average