Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bygone Era Worswick St Bus Station

Worswick St Bus Station

Worswick St Bus Station

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ambassador

16 Jan 2021, 11:10 pm #1
A sad day for us older types as Worswick Street bus station finally met its demise yesterday.

From 1929 when it first opened until yesterday the old big Northern logo was still visible along with some MetroCity Taxis signage.

I guess this also ends Newcastle Councils dream of moving buses out of Eldon Sq and back to East Pilgrim St.

The site is part of the Reuben brothers redevelopment and will include offices, a garage and a pub...whatever a pub is.

Many happy memories of the 723, 722, 735 and the Durham Road bus wars...ah when we had competition and a not for profit bus network that actually served people and wasn’t just for likes on twitter.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
16 Jan 2021, 11:10 pm #1

A sad day for us older types as Worswick Street bus station finally met its demise yesterday.

From 1929 when it first opened until yesterday the old big Northern logo was still visible along with some MetroCity Taxis signage.

I guess this also ends Newcastle Councils dream of moving buses out of Eldon Sq and back to East Pilgrim St.

The site is part of the Reuben brothers redevelopment and will include offices, a garage and a pub...whatever a pub is.

Many happy memories of the 723, 722, 735 and the Durham Road bus wars...ah when we had competition and a not for profit bus network that actually served people and wasn’t just for likes on twitter.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Andreos1

17 Jan 2021, 11:29 am #2
(16 Jan 2021, 11:10 pm)Ambassador A sad day for us older types as Worswick Street bus station finally met its demise yesterday.

Rob posted in the Newcastle City Centre Developments thread and I shared my thoughts/memories there.
https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=1634&pid=252058#pid252058

I was a 26 kinda guy, but the 231 and 735 shadowed it closely - depending which side of the clock 26 I got.
When I was younger, it was the 725 or 726 and the extremely clostrophobic lower saloon on a VR. 
Always remember being on one at the back and being fascinated at a bloke filling his pipe (not a euphemism) whilst the bus waited time and then puffing away once we got away.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Jan 2021, 11:29 am #2

(16 Jan 2021, 11:10 pm)Ambassador A sad day for us older types as Worswick Street bus station finally met its demise yesterday.

Rob posted in the Newcastle City Centre Developments thread and I shared my thoughts/memories there.
https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=1634&pid=252058#pid252058

I was a 26 kinda guy, but the 231 and 735 shadowed it closely - depending which side of the clock 26 I got.
When I was younger, it was the 725 or 726 and the extremely clostrophobic lower saloon on a VR. 
Always remember being on one at the back and being fascinated at a bloke filling his pipe (not a euphemism) whilst the bus waited time and then puffing away once we got away.

Rob44

17 Jan 2021, 2:05 pm #3
I think i only used it once to go to beamish I think??? I used Northern from Marlboro crescent bus station every Saturday morning. 8am bus to Newcastle. 1 from northumbland street to Marlboro then a 631/2/3 up to winlation where my grandparents lived. Used to find a fortune on the floor of the bus depot if I arrived before the road sweepers.... that was when punters used buses to get home from a night in the town
Rob44
17 Jan 2021, 2:05 pm #3

I think i only used it once to go to beamish I think??? I used Northern from Marlboro crescent bus station every Saturday morning. 8am bus to Newcastle. 1 from northumbland street to Marlboro then a 631/2/3 up to winlation where my grandparents lived. Used to find a fortune on the floor of the bus depot if I arrived before the road sweepers.... that was when punters used buses to get home from a night in the town

Andreos1

18 Jan 2021, 8:52 pm #4
(17 Jan 2021, 2:05 pm)Rob44 I think i only used it once to go to beamish I think???  I used Northern from Marlboro crescent bus station every Saturday morning. 8am bus to Newcastle. 1 from northumbland street to Marlboro then a 631/2/3 up to winlation where my grandparents lived. Used to find a fortune on the floor of the bus depot if I arrived before the road sweepers.... that was when punters used buses to get home from a night in the town

It was a fascinating place. 
Buses pelting in and out, crowds of people in an orderly line across the street and towards the fire station - parting to let a bus out and on to its journey, pigeons everywhere... 
You missed out, only using it the once. 

Mind, saying that - I can't remember using Marlborough Crescent.
I remember where it was and the layout of it, but I think you definitely have one on me there.

One thing though. I've heard it pronounced Warsick Street and Wersick Street. Was there ever a definite pronunciation?

Andreos1
18 Jan 2021, 8:52 pm #4

(17 Jan 2021, 2:05 pm)Rob44 I think i only used it once to go to beamish I think???  I used Northern from Marlboro crescent bus station every Saturday morning. 8am bus to Newcastle. 1 from northumbland street to Marlboro then a 631/2/3 up to winlation where my grandparents lived. Used to find a fortune on the floor of the bus depot if I arrived before the road sweepers.... that was when punters used buses to get home from a night in the town

It was a fascinating place. 
Buses pelting in and out, crowds of people in an orderly line across the street and towards the fire station - parting to let a bus out and on to its journey, pigeons everywhere... 
You missed out, only using it the once. 

Mind, saying that - I can't remember using Marlborough Crescent.
I remember where it was and the layout of it, but I think you definitely have one on me there.

One thing though. I've heard it pronounced Warsick Street and Wersick Street. Was there ever a definite pronunciation?

Rob44

19 Jan 2021, 8:13 am #5
I though Marlborough was the idea bus station. Loads of parking. nice big covered stands. Couple of problems being getting dropped off and having to check another bus inst coming up the inside! plus i have the feeling that it was 2 bus stops per lane so if the bus on stand a pulled in early the bus in stand b would either have to use another stand or pull into the correct one and wait or reverse back out to be on there way.

My parents always pronounced it Worsick street. Probably all right tbh!
Rob44
19 Jan 2021, 8:13 am #5

I though Marlborough was the idea bus station. Loads of parking. nice big covered stands. Couple of problems being getting dropped off and having to check another bus inst coming up the inside! plus i have the feeling that it was 2 bus stops per lane so if the bus on stand a pulled in early the bus in stand b would either have to use another stand or pull into the correct one and wait or reverse back out to be on there way.

My parents always pronounced it Worsick street. Probably all right tbh!

19 Jan 2021, 9:14 am #6
Just on a whim, I wandered over to take a look at Worswick Street just over a year ago. Never realised it would turn out to be my last visit; so glad now that I did so!
Ianthegoon
19 Jan 2021, 9:14 am #6

Just on a whim, I wandered over to take a look at Worswick Street just over a year ago. Never realised it would turn out to be my last visit; so glad now that I did so!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average