Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East ANE Ashington Vehicle Issues

ANE Ashington Vehicle Issues

ANE Ashington Vehicle Issues

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): Previous 1 2 36 Next
L469 YVK

29 Jan 2021, 8:27 pm #21
(29 Jan 2021, 8:22 pm)Storx Well said, it's pointless though they're blinded by a fancy repaint or some gimmicky brand on the side of the bus to hide the service cuts that certain operators up here have been doing for years now.
The whole point is that GNE have been prudent and acted accordingly. Although they haven't slashed services back to March / April 2020 levels, they've reduced them to give some wiggle room. Far more than fancy colours or gimmicks.

Arriva on the other hand acted too late. The odd journey here and there is acceptable in these circumstances but the extent of services that have been pulled is not good.
L469 YVK
29 Jan 2021, 8:27 pm #21

(29 Jan 2021, 8:22 pm)Storx Well said, it's pointless though they're blinded by a fancy repaint or some gimmicky brand on the side of the bus to hide the service cuts that certain operators up here have been doing for years now.
The whole point is that GNE have been prudent and acted accordingly. Although they haven't slashed services back to March / April 2020 levels, they've reduced them to give some wiggle room. Far more than fancy colours or gimmicks.

Arriva on the other hand acted too late. The odd journey here and there is acceptable in these circumstances but the extent of services that have been pulled is not good.

mb134

29 Jan 2021, 8:43 pm #22
(29 Jan 2021, 8:07 pm)RobinHood Also, just to highlight - how can Arriva be accused of holding a 'Race to the bottom' when they were the only operator who actually wanted (and tried) to maintain normal service levels - but now ultimately can't. Also, Arriva were the only operator to reinstate absolutely 100% service levels EVERYWHERE in Sept. GNE didn't and neither did Stagecoach - the former having already changed service levels and the latter holding down all of the weekend frequencies.

Sometimes the comments on here show how out of touch the enthusiasts really are with how bus operators actually work.

Can't say anything positive about Arriva on here, you must know that by now. 

I think it's clear I disagree with how they go about investment and fleet TLC in general (as evidenced by this thread), however their actual approach to service level is something deserving of credit. Over the 5 years I've lived up here First have had a number of network revisions, with virtually everything since 2017 just being cuts after cuts - the cited reasoning being falling passenger numbers, every time (you'd think they'd catch on). Whereas every time I go home the network is virtually unchanged, with reasonably strong passenger numbers - certainly prior to last summer I'd never noticed a drop off. If folk can rely on the bus being there, and are comfortable with the network, they will be more happy to use the bus.

I was critical of Darlington last year when they were cutting services left, right and centre due to cases, the difference here seems to be that proper measures were in place and there weren't glaring workplace hotspots (that we know of, anyway).

(29 Jan 2021, 8:27 pm)L469 YVK The whole point is that GNE have been prudent and acted accordingly. Although they haven't slashed services back to March / April 2020 levels, they've reduced them to give some wiggle room. Far more than fancy colours or gimmicks.

Look, I don't think anyone is saying the situation with Jesmond at the moment is ideal. But you're going on here like these cases were inevitable and directly linked to Arriva not cutting services at the same time as GNE. 

I was surprised they didn't drop them down earlier, but the reasoning given by Robin Hood makes sense and is understandable.
Edited 29 Jan 2021, 8:49 pm by mb134.
mb134
29 Jan 2021, 8:43 pm #22

(29 Jan 2021, 8:07 pm)RobinHood Also, just to highlight - how can Arriva be accused of holding a 'Race to the bottom' when they were the only operator who actually wanted (and tried) to maintain normal service levels - but now ultimately can't. Also, Arriva were the only operator to reinstate absolutely 100% service levels EVERYWHERE in Sept. GNE didn't and neither did Stagecoach - the former having already changed service levels and the latter holding down all of the weekend frequencies.

Sometimes the comments on here show how out of touch the enthusiasts really are with how bus operators actually work.

Can't say anything positive about Arriva on here, you must know that by now. 

I think it's clear I disagree with how they go about investment and fleet TLC in general (as evidenced by this thread), however their actual approach to service level is something deserving of credit. Over the 5 years I've lived up here First have had a number of network revisions, with virtually everything since 2017 just being cuts after cuts - the cited reasoning being falling passenger numbers, every time (you'd think they'd catch on). Whereas every time I go home the network is virtually unchanged, with reasonably strong passenger numbers - certainly prior to last summer I'd never noticed a drop off. If folk can rely on the bus being there, and are comfortable with the network, they will be more happy to use the bus.

I was critical of Darlington last year when they were cutting services left, right and centre due to cases, the difference here seems to be that proper measures were in place and there weren't glaring workplace hotspots (that we know of, anyway).

(29 Jan 2021, 8:27 pm)L469 YVK The whole point is that GNE have been prudent and acted accordingly. Although they haven't slashed services back to March / April 2020 levels, they've reduced them to give some wiggle room. Far more than fancy colours or gimmicks.

Look, I don't think anyone is saying the situation with Jesmond at the moment is ideal. But you're going on here like these cases were inevitable and directly linked to Arriva not cutting services at the same time as GNE. 

I was surprised they didn't drop them down earlier, but the reasoning given by Robin Hood makes sense and is understandable.

Jimmi

29 Jan 2021, 11:26 pm #23
(29 Jan 2021, 8:27 pm)L469 YVK The whole point is that GNE have been prudent and acted accordingly. Although they haven't slashed services back to March / April 2020 levels, they've reduced them to give some wiggle room. Far more than fancy colours or gimmicks.

I feel GNE were helped by the fact National Express has suspended all of their services plus the scholars dupes operated on behalf of other operators freeing up drivers whereas Arriva don't have these luxuries to fall back on in regards of driver availability.
Jimmi
29 Jan 2021, 11:26 pm #23

(29 Jan 2021, 8:27 pm)L469 YVK The whole point is that GNE have been prudent and acted accordingly. Although they haven't slashed services back to March / April 2020 levels, they've reduced them to give some wiggle room. Far more than fancy colours or gimmicks.

I feel GNE were helped by the fact National Express has suspended all of their services plus the scholars dupes operated on behalf of other operators freeing up drivers whereas Arriva don't have these luxuries to fall back on in regards of driver availability.

RobinHood

30 Jan 2021, 9:05 am #24
(29 Jan 2021, 8:27 pm)L469 YVK Arriva on the other hand acted too late. The odd journey here and there is acceptable in these circumstances but the extent of services that have been pulled is not good.

This paragraph is a real kick in the teeth to the guys working at Arriva in the commercial and schedules team, not to mention the operations team locally. Effectively suggesting that they acted too late suggests a sense to tardiness or lack of planning - however I know this is far from reality as I know the people doing that work.

The Operations team cannot run a bus without a driver. If drivers are being told to self isolate, they will do that that. The extent of services being pulled is the extent of drivers not available. It isn't a choice, its a requirement. Newcastle went from good to bad within 24 hours last weekend, absolutely nobody could have planned for that.

For perspective on the actual planning side of things, Arriva have 2 Network Managers (yes, just two!) for the entire network between Scarborough and Berwick. That's 2 people to basically replan every service and arrange headways and frequencies accordingly to get something sensible (these 2 people plan the changes, input the changes manually, register the changes, update the fare tables, create the local information, update destination screens and update NSA systems etc - it all runs through this tiny team). There are then another 2 people who will schedule the work and create the duties and rotas for each of the seven depots. In the background, these are also the same people are negotiating service levels with local authority leads (just 9 different authorities to have the same discussions with) and trade union reps internally across seven depots, but two different sets of pay schemes and therefore scheduling agreements to adhere to. It's a difficult job too juggle all of that normally, with a team that small.

Again, you don't know the situation or the politics that are in place - varying significantly between companies, internally. A view is simply made based on the output (or perceived lack of), which is far from reality and why I'm defending these people whom I know most of personally.

One thing I will agree on however, although not directly implied, is that Arriva have literally squeezed their local management and support functions to the bare minimum over the past 18 months and it shows when you compare reaction times now. I absolutely do not agree when it is suggested that Arriva simply haven't bothered to respond or acted too late. These guys are working 60 odd hour weeks to make up the difference compared to GNE and Stagecoach who have retained bigger local teams as part of their business plan and have the ability to repurpose very quickly.
RobinHood
30 Jan 2021, 9:05 am #24

(29 Jan 2021, 8:27 pm)L469 YVK Arriva on the other hand acted too late. The odd journey here and there is acceptable in these circumstances but the extent of services that have been pulled is not good.

This paragraph is a real kick in the teeth to the guys working at Arriva in the commercial and schedules team, not to mention the operations team locally. Effectively suggesting that they acted too late suggests a sense to tardiness or lack of planning - however I know this is far from reality as I know the people doing that work.

The Operations team cannot run a bus without a driver. If drivers are being told to self isolate, they will do that that. The extent of services being pulled is the extent of drivers not available. It isn't a choice, its a requirement. Newcastle went from good to bad within 24 hours last weekend, absolutely nobody could have planned for that.

For perspective on the actual planning side of things, Arriva have 2 Network Managers (yes, just two!) for the entire network between Scarborough and Berwick. That's 2 people to basically replan every service and arrange headways and frequencies accordingly to get something sensible (these 2 people plan the changes, input the changes manually, register the changes, update the fare tables, create the local information, update destination screens and update NSA systems etc - it all runs through this tiny team). There are then another 2 people who will schedule the work and create the duties and rotas for each of the seven depots. In the background, these are also the same people are negotiating service levels with local authority leads (just 9 different authorities to have the same discussions with) and trade union reps internally across seven depots, but two different sets of pay schemes and therefore scheduling agreements to adhere to. It's a difficult job too juggle all of that normally, with a team that small.

Again, you don't know the situation or the politics that are in place - varying significantly between companies, internally. A view is simply made based on the output (or perceived lack of), which is far from reality and why I'm defending these people whom I know most of personally.

One thing I will agree on however, although not directly implied, is that Arriva have literally squeezed their local management and support functions to the bare minimum over the past 18 months and it shows when you compare reaction times now. I absolutely do not agree when it is suggested that Arriva simply haven't bothered to respond or acted too late. These guys are working 60 odd hour weeks to make up the difference compared to GNE and Stagecoach who have retained bigger local teams as part of their business plan and have the ability to repurpose very quickly.

L469 YVK

30 Jan 2021, 9:29 am #25
(30 Jan 2021, 9:05 am)RobinHood For perspective on the actual planning side of things, Arriva have 2 Network Managers (yes, just two!) for the entire network between Scarborough and Berwick. That's 2 people to basically replan every service and arrange headways and frequencies accordingly to get something sensible (these 2 people plan the changes, input the changes manually, register the changes, update the fare tables, create the local information, update destination screens and update NSA systems etc - it all runs through this tiny team). There are then another 2 people who will schedule the work and create the duties and rotas for each of the seven depots. In the background, these are also the same people are negotiating service levels with local authority leads (just 9 different authorities to have the same discussions with) and trade union reps internally across seven depots, but two different sets of pay schemes and therefore scheduling agreements to adhere to. It's a difficult job too juggle all of that normally, with a team that small.

There lies the problem! It's not the frontline staff or local management to blame, it's the simple fact that Arriva are being run on a shoestring from the top.
L469 YVK
30 Jan 2021, 9:29 am #25

(30 Jan 2021, 9:05 am)RobinHood For perspective on the actual planning side of things, Arriva have 2 Network Managers (yes, just two!) for the entire network between Scarborough and Berwick. That's 2 people to basically replan every service and arrange headways and frequencies accordingly to get something sensible (these 2 people plan the changes, input the changes manually, register the changes, update the fare tables, create the local information, update destination screens and update NSA systems etc - it all runs through this tiny team). There are then another 2 people who will schedule the work and create the duties and rotas for each of the seven depots. In the background, these are also the same people are negotiating service levels with local authority leads (just 9 different authorities to have the same discussions with) and trade union reps internally across seven depots, but two different sets of pay schemes and therefore scheduling agreements to adhere to. It's a difficult job too juggle all of that normally, with a team that small.

There lies the problem! It's not the frontline staff or local management to blame, it's the simple fact that Arriva are being run on a shoestring from the top.

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Jan 2021, 9:59 am #26
(30 Jan 2021, 9:05 am)RobinHood This paragraph is a real kick in the teeth to the guys working at Arriva in the commercial and schedules team, not to mention the operations team locally. Effectively suggesting that they acted too late suggests a sense to tardiness or lack of planning - however I know this is far from reality as I know the people doing that work.

Go North East’s commercial team isn’t much bigger (their entire network is planned by one person, not two, but there is a greater resource for the physical scheduling of duties and rotas) - and they too had to undertake a completely fresh set of duties, just like Arriva, but managed to implement these two weeks ago. Not only this but have managed to communicate these revised timetables better than most operators in the country, with updated timetables available on the company’s website, mobile and app and in print (available on all buses), as well as re-allocating the fleet to ensure upgraded capacity is provided where it is expected to be required.

There is a lot of work involved in this, yes, and nobody is suggesting laziness or tardiness on Arriva’s part. 60+ hour weeks, with everything past the bog standard working week being done as a gesture of goodwill from employees in this department, has become the norm since March last year.

It’s not a contest but it cannot be denied that Go North East did respond much more quickly than Arriva, and arguably this was best for customers, as there aren’t any journeys being cancelled at short notice due to a lack of drivers being available. It goes without saying that if Arriva had more resource, then they could be doing more for their passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
30 Jan 2021, 9:59 am #26

(30 Jan 2021, 9:05 am)RobinHood This paragraph is a real kick in the teeth to the guys working at Arriva in the commercial and schedules team, not to mention the operations team locally. Effectively suggesting that they acted too late suggests a sense to tardiness or lack of planning - however I know this is far from reality as I know the people doing that work.

Go North East’s commercial team isn’t much bigger (their entire network is planned by one person, not two, but there is a greater resource for the physical scheduling of duties and rotas) - and they too had to undertake a completely fresh set of duties, just like Arriva, but managed to implement these two weeks ago. Not only this but have managed to communicate these revised timetables better than most operators in the country, with updated timetables available on the company’s website, mobile and app and in print (available on all buses), as well as re-allocating the fleet to ensure upgraded capacity is provided where it is expected to be required.

There is a lot of work involved in this, yes, and nobody is suggesting laziness or tardiness on Arriva’s part. 60+ hour weeks, with everything past the bog standard working week being done as a gesture of goodwill from employees in this department, has become the norm since March last year.

It’s not a contest but it cannot be denied that Go North East did respond much more quickly than Arriva, and arguably this was best for customers, as there aren’t any journeys being cancelled at short notice due to a lack of drivers being available. It goes without saying that if Arriva had more resource, then they could be doing more for their passengers.

RobinHood

30 Jan 2021, 3:58 pm #27
GNE most recent response was exactly the same as Arriva very first COVID ramp down, with simply pulling out vehicle workings, which reduced service level at the expense of sensible frequency. (i.e services are running with random gaps currently due to this very urgent approach).

They could have (and in hindsight probably should have) done this again, but I understand the stuff in the planning is effectively a full replan to ensure frequencies and common corridors don't have the same odd gaps that GNE are running now.

That's effectively the difference in the planning time compared to what GNE did and what Arriva are trying to do.
RobinHood
30 Jan 2021, 3:58 pm #27

GNE most recent response was exactly the same as Arriva very first COVID ramp down, with simply pulling out vehicle workings, which reduced service level at the expense of sensible frequency. (i.e services are running with random gaps currently due to this very urgent approach).

They could have (and in hindsight probably should have) done this again, but I understand the stuff in the planning is effectively a full replan to ensure frequencies and common corridors don't have the same odd gaps that GNE are running now.

That's effectively the difference in the planning time compared to what GNE did and what Arriva are trying to do.

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Jan 2021, 5:18 pm #28
(30 Jan 2021, 3:58 pm)RobinHood GNE most recent response was exactly the same as Arriva very first COVID ramp down, with simply pulling out vehicle workings, which reduced service level at the expense of sensible frequency. (i.e services are running with random gaps currently due to this very urgent approach).

Yes, when the taxpayer is funding operations, it makes sense morally to use a quicker approach.

In addition, you could argue that a quicker approach has allowed staffing levels to be reduced and reviewed more quickly, preventing any unscheduled odd gaps, as we are currently seeing in Arriva’s network.

The uneven headways, whilst inconvenient, are better planned than unplanned, as at least customers can still plan their journeys.

Dan
30 Jan 2021, 5:18 pm #28

(30 Jan 2021, 3:58 pm)RobinHood GNE most recent response was exactly the same as Arriva very first COVID ramp down, with simply pulling out vehicle workings, which reduced service level at the expense of sensible frequency. (i.e services are running with random gaps currently due to this very urgent approach).

Yes, when the taxpayer is funding operations, it makes sense morally to use a quicker approach.

In addition, you could argue that a quicker approach has allowed staffing levels to be reduced and reviewed more quickly, preventing any unscheduled odd gaps, as we are currently seeing in Arriva’s network.

The uneven headways, whilst inconvenient, are better planned than unplanned, as at least customers can still plan their journeys.

mb134

30 Jan 2021, 6:10 pm #29
To go back to the initial topic of this thread, today:

7446 failed on the 35 early on, was replaced by 1580.
7512 failed at Alnwick at 14:00, prior to operating the X15 to Morpeth.
7517 was pulled off the X18 at Morpeth around 15:40, replaced by 1580 (which was replaced on the 35 by 7446 about an hour later).
7525 failed on the X21 early afternoon. It was last in service on Wednesday, where it failed on its second trip of the day.
7533 was replaced by 7528 on the X18 after failing just outside Morpeth in the early afternoon. It has since picked up an X21/22.
7542 failed(?) on the X21 at lunchtime. This board doesn't seem to have been picked up until 7533 went onto it at 15:30.
7554 was replaced by 7531 on the X18 just before 17:00 at Morpeth.
7555 made it to Newcastle and back to Ashington on the X20 this morning before being replaced by 7515.

In addition, 7527 was pulled off the X21/22 to replace 1580 on the X14, which was punted onto an X15 to replace 7512. 7517 picked up the board 7528 was taken off just before 17:00, meaning that missed a run to Newcastle and back.

Both 51-plate Volvos (7484/6) going strong on the 35s mind, so every cloud and all that...

I just do not see how Arriva/DB can look at that and think that investment is not needed, or that the engineering team at Ashington do not need serious help. Wonder how many times today the phrase "at least we're not effing Jesmond" was uttered at Ashington...
mb134
30 Jan 2021, 6:10 pm #29

To go back to the initial topic of this thread, today:

7517 was pulled off the X18 at Morpeth around 15:40, replaced by 1580 (which was replaced on the 35 by 7446 about an hour later).
7525 failed on the X21 early afternoon. It was last in service on Wednesday, where it failed on its second trip of the day.
7533 was replaced by 7528 on the X18 after failing just outside Morpeth in the early afternoon. It has since picked up an X21/22.
7542 failed(?) on the X21 at lunchtime. This board doesn't seem to have been picked up until 7533 went onto it at 15:30.
7555 made it to Newcastle and back to Ashington on the X20 this morning before being replaced by 7515.

In addition, 7527 was pulled off the X21/22 to replace 1580 on the X14, which was punted onto an X15 to replace 7512. 7517 picked up the board 7528 was taken off just before 17:00, meaning that missed a run to Newcastle and back.

Both 51-plate Volvos (7484/6) going strong on the 35s mind, so every cloud and all that...

I just do not see how Arriva/DB can look at that and think that investment is not needed, or that the engineering team at Ashington do not need serious help. Wonder how many times today the phrase "at least we're not effing Jesmond" was uttered at Ashington...

L469 YVK

30 Jan 2021, 7:44 pm #30
(30 Jan 2021, 6:10 pm)mb134 To go back to the initial topic of this thread, today:

Do Ashington not post updates on ANE's main FB page like Blyth do when there's operational issues?
L469 YVK
30 Jan 2021, 7:44 pm #30

(30 Jan 2021, 6:10 pm)mb134 To go back to the initial topic of this thread, today:

Do Ashington not post updates on ANE's main FB page like Blyth do when there's operational issues?

30 Jan 2021, 7:58 pm #31
(30 Jan 2021, 9:05 am)RobinHood Arriva North West & Wales Wrexham depot is only reopening on the 1st Feb after some drivers came down with Covid plus many having to self isolate 
the Chester depot was able to cover a few services 

Arriva North West & Wales Wrexham depot is only reopening on the 1st Feb after some drivers came down with Covid plus many having to self isolate
Edited 30 Jan 2021, 7:59 pm by CC98507.
CC98507
30 Jan 2021, 7:58 pm #31

(30 Jan 2021, 9:05 am)RobinHood Arriva North West & Wales Wrexham depot is only reopening on the 1st Feb after some drivers came down with Covid plus many having to self isolate 

Arriva North West & Wales Wrexham depot is only reopening on the 1st Feb after some drivers came down with Covid plus many having to self isolate

Jimmi

30 Jan 2021, 8:56 pm #32

I believe 7542 was involved in an incident of some form today with 7556 also being involved in an incident yesterday too so now two buses down as a result.

7533 had an issue with a wheel whilst on the X18 (puncture possibly?)

(30 Jan 2021, 7:58 pm)CC98507
High Peak in Derbyshire has practically has had to suspend almost every service they operate due to a large number of drivers being off with the few services they have been running has been doing so effectively on a Sunday timetable.

D&G, Hulleys of Baslow and Andrews of Tideswell have come to the rescue to cover some of the services that High Peak have suspended.

_

Last I heard Jesmond had 13 cases whilst Belmont had 3 (not 13 at Belmont as the Northern Echo reported)
Edited 30 Jan 2021, 9:02 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
30 Jan 2021, 8:56 pm #32

I believe 7542 was involved in an incident of some form today with 7556 also being involved in an incident yesterday too so now two buses down as a result.

(30 Jan 2021, 7:58 pm)CC98507
High Peak in Derbyshire has practically has had to suspend almost every service they operate due to a large number of drivers being off with the few services they have been running has been doing so effectively on a Sunday timetable.

D&G, Hulleys of Baslow and Andrews of Tideswell have come to the rescue to cover some of the services that High Peak have suspended.

_

Last I heard Jesmond had 13 cases whilst Belmont had 3 (not 13 at Belmont as the Northern Echo reported)

mb134

30 Jan 2021, 9:26 pm #33
(30 Jan 2021, 8:56 pm)Jimmi I believe 7542 was involved in an incident of some form today with 7556 also being involved in an incident yesterday too so now two buses down as a result.

Even if we discount 7533 and 7542, that's still up to 6 failures today, one of which (7525) also failed on its last day in service.  Again, if this is a one off then it's understandable to an extent, but this many failures/swaps in a day on a consistent basis isn't a good sign.
mb134
30 Jan 2021, 9:26 pm #33

(30 Jan 2021, 8:56 pm)Jimmi I believe 7542 was involved in an incident of some form today with 7556 also being involved in an incident yesterday too so now two buses down as a result.

Even if we discount 7533 and 7542, that's still up to 6 failures today, one of which (7525) also failed on its last day in service.  Again, if this is a one off then it's understandable to an extent, but this many failures/swaps in a day on a consistent basis isn't a good sign.

Jimmi

30 Jan 2021, 10:07 pm #34
(30 Jan 2021, 9:26 pm)mb134 Even if we discount 7533 and 7542, that's still up to 6 failures today, one of which (7525) also failed on its last day in service.  Again, if this is a one off then it's understandable to an extent, but this many failures/swaps in a day on a consistent basis isn't a good sign.
These things just happen at times even after being worked on, one thing I don't think that helps is they can't ease them back into service by putting them on the 35 for a day or two as the 35 is stuck with a permanent allocation of unreliable sheds like 7445/6.

Investment is certainly needed up there now as the buses are showing their age now especially on the demanding X routes up and down the A1, Solos seem to be struggling now too and then there's the MPDs which must be getting on for doing 3 times more miles than they were intended to do.

There was suggestions of new deckers being on order for the X15/X18 and I think the X14 too but no clue what the deal is with this, speculation started around the time covid appeared then went quiet assuming the order had been cancelled, rumours started appearing again around the autumn time and shortly after it was alleged that they were being diverted to Leicester due to Euro 6 CAZ stuff there after the attempt to transfer E400MMCs from Southend was blocked from happening however I think they've since gotten round this by transferring B9s from Yorkshire which had been converted for the Leeds CAZ which has since been scrapped, so now the rumours are they're destined for the North East again. Just speculation so all this may or may not be the case.
Jimmi
30 Jan 2021, 10:07 pm #34

(30 Jan 2021, 9:26 pm)mb134 Even if we discount 7533 and 7542, that's still up to 6 failures today, one of which (7525) also failed on its last day in service.  Again, if this is a one off then it's understandable to an extent, but this many failures/swaps in a day on a consistent basis isn't a good sign.
These things just happen at times even after being worked on, one thing I don't think that helps is they can't ease them back into service by putting them on the 35 for a day or two as the 35 is stuck with a permanent allocation of unreliable sheds like 7445/6.

Investment is certainly needed up there now as the buses are showing their age now especially on the demanding X routes up and down the A1, Solos seem to be struggling now too and then there's the MPDs which must be getting on for doing 3 times more miles than they were intended to do.

There was suggestions of new deckers being on order for the X15/X18 and I think the X14 too but no clue what the deal is with this, speculation started around the time covid appeared then went quiet assuming the order had been cancelled, rumours started appearing again around the autumn time and shortly after it was alleged that they were being diverted to Leicester due to Euro 6 CAZ stuff there after the attempt to transfer E400MMCs from Southend was blocked from happening however I think they've since gotten round this by transferring B9s from Yorkshire which had been converted for the Leeds CAZ which has since been scrapped, so now the rumours are they're destined for the North East again. Just speculation so all this may or may not be the case.

GNE6312

31 Jan 2021, 8:18 am #35
(30 Jan 2021, 10:07 pm)Jimmi These things just happen at times even after being worked on, one thing I don't think that helps is they can't ease them back into service by putting them on the 35 for a day or two as the 35 is stuck with a permanent allocation of unreliable sheds like 7445/6.

There was suggestions of new deckers being on order for the X15/X18 and I think the X14 too but no clue what the deal is with this, speculation started around the time covid appeared then went quiet assuming the order had been cancelled, rumours started appearing again around the autumn time and shortly after it was alleged that they were being diverted to Leicester due to Euro 6 CAZ stuff there after the attempt to transfer E400MMCs from Southend was blocked from happening however I think they've since gotten round this by transferring B9s from Yorkshire which had been converted for the Leeds CAZ which has since been scrapped, so now the rumours are they're destined for the North East again.  Just speculation so all this may or may not be the case.
So the B9s are for Jesmond?
GNE6312
31 Jan 2021, 8:18 am #35

(30 Jan 2021, 10:07 pm)Jimmi These things just happen at times even after being worked on, one thing I don't think that helps is they can't ease them back into service by putting them on the 35 for a day or two as the 35 is stuck with a permanent allocation of unreliable sheds like 7445/6.

There was suggestions of new deckers being on order for the X15/X18 and I think the X14 too but no clue what the deal is with this, speculation started around the time covid appeared then went quiet assuming the order had been cancelled, rumours started appearing again around the autumn time and shortly after it was alleged that they were being diverted to Leicester due to Euro 6 CAZ stuff there after the attempt to transfer E400MMCs from Southend was blocked from happening however I think they've since gotten round this by transferring B9s from Yorkshire which had been converted for the Leeds CAZ which has since been scrapped, so now the rumours are they're destined for the North East again.  Just speculation so all this may or may not be the case.
So the B9s are for Jesmond?

L469 YVK

31 Jan 2021, 9:05 am #36
With the current situation, this year would be the best time to purchase new vehicles for the X15/X18/X93 given the potential rise of "staycations".

If they order ADL E400MMC's thought, they need to go for ZF gearboxes like GoNE/EY examples. Far better for 'X' work.

New:
- 6x StreetDeck OM936 for X93
- 4x ADL E400MMC (ZF) or StreetDeck OM936 for X15
- 6x ADL E400MMC (ZF) or StreetDeck OM936 for X18

Cascades:
- 7401-04 to Ashington for X20
- 7405-06 to Ashington for X14
- 1x best of 7529-33 / 7553-56 making up the X14 PVR
- 7529-33 go on the 35
- 3x E400MMC (out of 755x batch) spare. 2x could then fill in on the X14 during the summer with 2x B9TL going to Whitby for X93 extras.
L469 YVK
31 Jan 2021, 9:05 am #36

With the current situation, this year would be the best time to purchase new vehicles for the X15/X18/X93 given the potential rise of "staycations".

If they order ADL E400MMC's thought, they need to go for ZF gearboxes like GoNE/EY examples. Far better for 'X' work.

New:
- 6x StreetDeck OM936 for X93
- 4x ADL E400MMC (ZF) or StreetDeck OM936 for X15
- 6x ADL E400MMC (ZF) or StreetDeck OM936 for X18

Cascades:
- 7401-04 to Ashington for X20
- 7405-06 to Ashington for X14
- 1x best of 7529-33 / 7553-56 making up the X14 PVR
- 7529-33 go on the 35
- 3x E400MMC (out of 755x batch) spare. 2x could then fill in on the X14 during the summer with 2x B9TL going to Whitby for X93 extras.

mb134

31 Jan 2021, 12:31 pm #37

Agreed, though with 7525 it's the third time in 8 days it has failed (first time was last Friday on the X18 at Acklington). Obviously stuff can go bang at any time, I think anyone would be understanding of one off occurrences - but again it seems to be a common theme of them fixing something and it failing again shortly afterwards. On your point about 7445/6 I find it amazing that the 19 year old 7484, with its time in London and on the X93, is in better nick than both of them - especially 7445 (the less said about that heap the better). 7514 also looks to have failed yesterday on the X18 south of Seahouses.

Regarding the new vehicles, if I remember rightly the rumour was 12x E400 MMCs for the X14/5/8 which neatly ties into the combined PVR. I'd assume that the plan would be to keep 7529-33/7553-6 as the allocation for the X20, moving 7511/2/4-7 and 4653/9/64 to less demanding work.
mb134
31 Jan 2021, 12:31 pm #37

Agreed, though with 7525 it's the third time in 8 days it has failed (first time was last Friday on the X18 at Acklington). Obviously stuff can go bang at any time, I think anyone would be understanding of one off occurrences - but again it seems to be a common theme of them fixing something and it failing again shortly afterwards. On your point about 7445/6 I find it amazing that the 19 year old 7484, with its time in London and on the X93, is in better nick than both of them - especially 7445 (the less said about that heap the better). 7514 also looks to have failed yesterday on the X18 south of Seahouses.

Regarding the new vehicles, if I remember rightly the rumour was 12x E400 MMCs for the X14/5/8 which neatly ties into the combined PVR. I'd assume that the plan would be to keep 7529-33/7553-6 as the allocation for the X20, moving 7511/2/4-7 and 4653/9/64 to less demanding work.

L469 YVK

31 Jan 2021, 12:39 pm #38
Will Arriva switch to ZF for the MMC now that stop-start is available or will they stick with Voith for commonality?
L469 YVK
31 Jan 2021, 12:39 pm #38

Will Arriva switch to ZF for the MMC now that stop-start is available or will they stick with Voith for commonality?

Storx

31 Jan 2021, 12:40 pm #39
(31 Jan 2021, 12:31 pm)mb134 Agreed, though with 7525 it's the third time in 8 days it has failed (first time was last Friday on the X18 at Acklington). Obviously stuff can go bang at any time, I think anyone would be understanding of one off occurrences - but again it seems to be a common theme of them fixing something and it failing again shortly afterwards. On your point about 7445/6 I find it amazing that the 19 year old 7484, with its time in London and on the X93, is in better nick than both of them - especially 7445 (the less said about that heap the better). 7514 also looks to have failed yesterday on the X18 south of Seahouses.

Sorry to take the thread a bit of topic here but can't find it but what we're 7445/7446 originally bought for, I know they we're part of the Operation Overdrive at Durham but then ended up at Jesmond pretty much straight away to join the Tridents on the 306 (now they really were sheds) but can't find anything about which route they were for.

They've been crap for awhile though and were terrible when they used to be on the 56/57 circuit when Jesmond had it. The Olympians and B10BLE's we're miles ahead of them in power.
Storx
31 Jan 2021, 12:40 pm #39

(31 Jan 2021, 12:31 pm)mb134 Agreed, though with 7525 it's the third time in 8 days it has failed (first time was last Friday on the X18 at Acklington). Obviously stuff can go bang at any time, I think anyone would be understanding of one off occurrences - but again it seems to be a common theme of them fixing something and it failing again shortly afterwards. On your point about 7445/6 I find it amazing that the 19 year old 7484, with its time in London and on the X93, is in better nick than both of them - especially 7445 (the less said about that heap the better). 7514 also looks to have failed yesterday on the X18 south of Seahouses.

Sorry to take the thread a bit of topic here but can't find it but what we're 7445/7446 originally bought for, I know they we're part of the Operation Overdrive at Durham but then ended up at Jesmond pretty much straight away to join the Tridents on the 306 (now they really were sheds) but can't find anything about which route they were for.

They've been crap for awhile though and were terrible when they used to be on the 56/57 circuit when Jesmond had it. The Olympians and B10BLE's we're miles ahead of them in power.

Jimmi

31 Jan 2021, 12:48 pm #40
(31 Jan 2021, 12:40 pm)Storx Sorry to take the thread a bit of topic here but can't find it but what we're 7445/7446 originally bought for, I know they we're part of the Operation Overdrive at Durham but then ended up at Jesmond pretty much straight away to join the Tridents on the 306 (now they really were sheds) but can't find anything about which route they were for.

Bought as Operation Overdrive for Durham depot however it was then decided to more or less focus on only having deckers for scholars so got sent to Darlington depot instead for their 723 workings (Darlington to Framwellgate Moor, essentially what is now the 7) then of course it ended up at Jesmond before returning to Darlington for about 12 months a few years later with wraps/livery to celebrate 100 years of United then returning to North of the Tyne.
Jimmi
31 Jan 2021, 12:48 pm #40

(31 Jan 2021, 12:40 pm)Storx Sorry to take the thread a bit of topic here but can't find it but what we're 7445/7446 originally bought for, I know they we're part of the Operation Overdrive at Durham but then ended up at Jesmond pretty much straight away to join the Tridents on the 306 (now they really were sheds) but can't find anything about which route they were for.

Bought as Operation Overdrive for Durham depot however it was then decided to more or less focus on only having deckers for scholars so got sent to Darlington depot instead for their 723 workings (Darlington to Framwellgate Moor, essentially what is now the 7) then of course it ended up at Jesmond before returning to Darlington for about 12 months a few years later with wraps/livery to celebrate 100 years of United then returning to North of the Tyne.

Pages (6): Previous 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average