Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bygone Era Carliol Square Newcastle

Carliol Square Newcastle

Carliol Square Newcastle

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LVK 404L

17 Feb 2021, 8:20 pm #1
Can anyone help?

I've seen an old bus timetable late 70s early 80s for the old Northern service 524 (Jarrow depot) which operated South Shields - Jarrow - Newcastle (South Shields - Jarrow - Heworth only 1984-1986).  The terminus point for Newcastle prior to 1984 was listed as Carliol Square as opposed to Workswick Street.  I'm aware Carliol Square is or was the small approach street into Worswick Street, did a number of services omit the bus station and operate straight down the left hand side to a different terminus? It's always intrigued me this and cant find anything on google other than Worswick Street Bus Station.
LVK 404L
17 Feb 2021, 8:20 pm #1

Can anyone help?

I've seen an old bus timetable late 70s early 80s for the old Northern service 524 (Jarrow depot) which operated South Shields - Jarrow - Newcastle (South Shields - Jarrow - Heworth only 1984-1986).  The terminus point for Newcastle prior to 1984 was listed as Carliol Square as opposed to Workswick Street.  I'm aware Carliol Square is or was the small approach street into Worswick Street, did a number of services omit the bus station and operate straight down the left hand side to a different terminus? It's always intrigued me this and cant find anything on google other than Worswick Street Bus Station.

Andreos1

17 Feb 2021, 11:00 pm #2
(17 Feb 2021, 8:20 pm)ifm001 Can anyone help?

I've racked my brains on this. Carliol Square hasn't been a through road since the Central Motorway was built. Its more a Carliol half a square. 

I can't think of anywhere on what is left of Carliol Square for a vehicle to turn around or do a u-turn of any sort and the only place I can think of where a vehicle could stop, is on the junction of Carliol Square and Worswick St.
.jpg
Screenshot_20210217_225755.jpg
Size: 269.51 KB / Downloads: 48

I certainly can't remember a stop being there (although I do remember vehicles laying over towards the bottom of the bus station and also blocking off the very bottom set of stops in the bus station.
I also remember the stop outside the cafe/papershop and the likes of the 301 stopping there.

Edit: just found this - https://images.app.goo.gl/GwVJoaKuYtfDGhSy7 could this be the 524 in the distance? That 522 doesn't look like it has came out of the station, so could have been at the same stand.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Feb 2021, 11:00 pm #2

(17 Feb 2021, 8:20 pm)ifm001 Can anyone help?

I've racked my brains on this. Carliol Square hasn't been a through road since the Central Motorway was built. Its more a Carliol half a square. 

I can't think of anywhere on what is left of Carliol Square for a vehicle to turn around or do a u-turn of any sort and the only place I can think of where a vehicle could stop, is on the junction of Carliol Square and Worswick St.
.jpg
Screenshot_20210217_225755.jpg
Size: 269.51 KB / Downloads: 48

I certainly can't remember a stop being there (although I do remember vehicles laying over towards the bottom of the bus station and also blocking off the very bottom set of stops in the bus station.
I also remember the stop outside the cafe/papershop and the likes of the 301 stopping there.

Edit: just found this - https://images.app.goo.gl/GwVJoaKuYtfDGhSy7 could this be the 524 in the distance? That 522 doesn't look like it has came out of the station, so could have been at the same stand.

LVK 404L

18 Feb 2021, 8:05 am #3
(17 Feb 2021, 11:00 pm)Andreos1 I've racked my brains on this. Carliol Square hasn't been a through road since the Central Motorway was built. Its more a Carliol half a square. 

Edit: just found this - https://images.app.goo.gl/GwVJoaKuYtfDGhSy7  could this be the 524 in the distance? That 522 doesn't look like it has came out of the station, so could have been at the same stand.
Yeah I've seen that picture a few times and the 522 did observe Worswick Street towards the bottom stand. The 301 and 532 both observed the cafe/papershop in late 80s and 90s but was always referred to still as Worswick Street for the terminas. I've only ever seen the 524 as the only service I know of that listed Carliol Square.
LVK 404L
18 Feb 2021, 8:05 am #3

(17 Feb 2021, 11:00 pm)Andreos1 I've racked my brains on this. Carliol Square hasn't been a through road since the Central Motorway was built. Its more a Carliol half a square. 

Edit: just found this - https://images.app.goo.gl/GwVJoaKuYtfDGhSy7  could this be the 524 in the distance? That 522 doesn't look like it has came out of the station, so could have been at the same stand.
Yeah I've seen that picture a few times and the 522 did observe Worswick Street towards the bottom stand. The 301 and 532 both observed the cafe/papershop in late 80s and 90s but was always referred to still as Worswick Street for the terminas. I've only ever seen the 524 as the only service I know of that listed Carliol Square.

Andreos1

14 Nov 2021, 10:15 pm #4
Thought this may have been the most appropriate thread. 

Did buses ever layover near Manors Metro? 
It would have been the early 80s and well before the business park was built at Manors, but I can remember waiting at Worswick St, looking east towards Manors and seeing vehicles coming along New Bridge Street. I can vaguely remember them parked up. 

Metro work (can't remember when that section opened without checking)? Layover area before entering the town?

Andreos1
14 Nov 2021, 10:15 pm #4

Thought this may have been the most appropriate thread. 

It would have been the early 80s and well before the business park was built at Manors, but I can remember waiting at Worswick St, looking east towards Manors and seeing vehicles coming along New Bridge Street. I can vaguely remember them parked up. 

Metro work (can't remember when that section opened without checking)? Layover area before entering the town?

MurdnunoC

15 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm #5
(14 Nov 2021, 10:15 pm)Andreos1 Thought this may have been the most appropriate thread. 

It would have been well before the 80s, possibly the 60s before the CME was constructed, though it may have continued to act as layover for long-distance buses until the 80s. In some timetables I have from the late 60s/early 70s, some buses are listed as terminating at 'Newcastle Bus Park' (or something similarly named). This was located near Manors and is probably the layover area you describe.
MurdnunoC
15 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm #5

(14 Nov 2021, 10:15 pm)Andreos1 Thought this may have been the most appropriate thread. 

It would have been well before the 80s, possibly the 60s before the CME was constructed, though it may have continued to act as layover for long-distance buses until the 80s. In some timetables I have from the late 60s/early 70s, some buses are listed as terminating at 'Newcastle Bus Park' (or something similarly named). This was located near Manors and is probably the layover area you describe.

Andreos1

15 Nov 2021, 5:15 pm #6
(15 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm)MurdnunoC It would have been well before the 80s, possibly the 60s before the CME was constructed, though it may have continued to act as layover for long-distance buses until the 80s. In some timetables I have from the late 60s/early 70s, some buses are listed as terminating at 'Newcastle Bus Park' (or something similarly named). This was located near Manors and is probably the layover area you describe.

This would have been 83/84ish. No earlier and if later, only a year or so.
We would have been at one of the stands near the top of Worswick St, waiting for a Birtley bus.

After posting the message, I went on Google Street maps and from the top end, you can see the offices at Manors, over the 'sunken' motorway, making the buildings in the business park, appear a shorter walk than they actually are.
Guessing they were built around about the time Warner Bros developed the cinema - which would tie in with the window mentioned above. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RZViCAjuj6M4Xn2P7

If that bus park you mention did survive, it could tie things up.

Andreos1
15 Nov 2021, 5:15 pm #6

(15 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm)MurdnunoC It would have been well before the 80s, possibly the 60s before the CME was constructed, though it may have continued to act as layover for long-distance buses until the 80s. In some timetables I have from the late 60s/early 70s, some buses are listed as terminating at 'Newcastle Bus Park' (or something similarly named). This was located near Manors and is probably the layover area you describe.

This would have been 83/84ish. No earlier and if later, only a year or so.
We would have been at one of the stands near the top of Worswick St, waiting for a Birtley bus.

After posting the message, I went on Google Street maps and from the top end, you can see the offices at Manors, over the 'sunken' motorway, making the buildings in the business park, appear a shorter walk than they actually are.
Guessing they were built around about the time Warner Bros developed the cinema - which would tie in with the window mentioned above. 

MurdnunoC

15 Nov 2021, 5:47 pm #7
(15 Nov 2021, 5:15 pm)Andreos1 This would have been 83/84ish. No earlier and if later, only a year or so.

I actually found some information on my old blog (never updated for years) which I accidentally stumbled across whilst searching for more information about the aforementioned bus park.

https://oldtwbustime.wordpress.com/2015/.../#comments

Someone provided more information in the comments section beneath my original post.
MurdnunoC
15 Nov 2021, 5:47 pm #7

(15 Nov 2021, 5:15 pm)Andreos1 This would have been 83/84ish. No earlier and if later, only a year or so.

I actually found some information on my old blog (never updated for years) which I accidentally stumbled across whilst searching for more information about the aforementioned bus park.

Someone provided more information in the comments section beneath my original post.

Andreos1

15 Nov 2021, 6:22 pm #8
(15 Nov 2021, 5:47 pm)MurdnunoC I actually found some information on my old blog (never updated for years) which I accidentally stumbled across whilst searching for more information about the aforementioned bus park.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Must admit, I had forgot to check out your website - always used to find something interesting on there.

Andreos1
15 Nov 2021, 6:22 pm #8

(15 Nov 2021, 5:47 pm)MurdnunoC I actually found some information on my old blog (never updated for years) which I accidentally stumbled across whilst searching for more information about the aforementioned bus park.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Must admit, I had forgot to check out your website - always used to find something interesting on there.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average