Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Nexus Tenders - May 2021

Nexus Tenders - May 2021

Nexus Tenders - May 2021

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (5) Previous 1 2 35 Next
Andreos1

15 Mar 2021, 5:47 pm #21
(15 Mar 2021, 5:31 pm)TEN 6083 They don’t have the best reputation on this forum.

Reasons why are:

Missing out parts of routes.

Not bothering to run routes at all.

Take their buses out of service if running late and head back to the depot or back to the starting point of the route.

Showing up early / late or not showing up at all.

Drivers parking the buses outside their own houses at night time.

Non working destination blinds.

These are just a few examples what I’ve read on here and seen while out in person, I’m sure there’ll be more stories floating around.

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

To be fair, the majority of your reply could apply to any of the big three.
It's certainly not unique to GCT or any other small operator - locally or otherwise.

Clifton may well experience the same in his neck of the woods.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
15 Mar 2021, 5:47 pm #21

(15 Mar 2021, 5:31 pm)TEN 6083 They don’t have the best reputation on this forum.

Reasons why are:

Take their buses out of service if running late and head back to the depot or back to the starting point of the route.

These are just a few examples what I’ve read on here and seen while out in person, I’m sure there’ll be more stories floating around.

To be fair, the majority of your reply could apply to any of the big three.
It's certainly not unique to GCT or any other small operator - locally or otherwise.

Clifton may well experience the same in his neck of the woods.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Adrian

15 Mar 2021, 7:54 pm #22
(15 Mar 2021, 3:43 pm)Ambassador Hello, Joe Taxpayer here. 

I hear these services are rarely used and are point A-B and the people who use it will use it regardless of it being a Ford Fiesta or a Limousine.

On behalf of the overwhelming majority of people who pay taxes and don't go near secured services, please spend less of my taxes on this and just ensure that the people get from A-B at the cheapest option possible. Why I am paying for people to use wifi and have tables?

Best Wishes
Taxpayer

Cheapest is not always the best value to tax payers. When I see public money used, of course I want to see value for money, but I also want to see it being spent in such a way that is beneficial to the general public. If the cost is slightly more with additional quality elements; such as NSAs, real-time information, contactless payments and presentation, then I would see that as better value for money.

It's actually a disgrace that we still see NSAs as a quality measure, rather than something that makes buses more accessible. It's a big positive that there was a suggestion in the Ministerial statement today that this will become legislated going forward.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Mar 2021, 7:54 pm #22

(15 Mar 2021, 3:43 pm)Ambassador Hello, Joe Taxpayer here. 

I hear these services are rarely used and are point A-B and the people who use it will use it regardless of it being a Ford Fiesta or a Limousine.

On behalf of the overwhelming majority of people who pay taxes and don't go near secured services, please spend less of my taxes on this and just ensure that the people get from A-B at the cheapest option possible. Why I am paying for people to use wifi and have tables?

Best Wishes
Taxpayer

Cheapest is not always the best value to tax payers. When I see public money used, of course I want to see value for money, but I also want to see it being spent in such a way that is beneficial to the general public. If the cost is slightly more with additional quality elements; such as NSAs, real-time information, contactless payments and presentation, then I would see that as better value for money.

It's actually a disgrace that we still see NSAs as a quality measure, rather than something that makes buses more accessible. It's a big positive that there was a suggestion in the Ministerial statement today that this will become legislated going forward.

Ambassador

16 Mar 2021, 12:32 pm #23
(15 Mar 2021, 7:54 pm)Adrian Cheapest is not always the best value to tax payers. When I see public money used, of course I want to see value for money, but I also want to see it being spent in such a way that is beneficial to the general public. If the cost is slightly more with additional quality elements; such as NSAs, real-time information, contactless payments and presentation, then I would see that as better value for money.

If it comes to franchising then I'd agree - you wouldn't want GCT throwing some orange buses on the 21 for example. There's scope to grow and nurture that part of the network.

But when it comes to poorly used essential secured services, I don't think you'll ever grow that market so the lower costs the better.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
16 Mar 2021, 12:32 pm #23

(15 Mar 2021, 7:54 pm)Adrian Cheapest is not always the best value to tax payers. When I see public money used, of course I want to see value for money, but I also want to see it being spent in such a way that is beneficial to the general public. If the cost is slightly more with additional quality elements; such as NSAs, real-time information, contactless payments and presentation, then I would see that as better value for money.

If it comes to franchising then I'd agree - you wouldn't want GCT throwing some orange buses on the 21 for example. There's scope to grow and nurture that part of the network.

But when it comes to poorly used essential secured services, I don't think you'll ever grow that market so the lower costs the better.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

markydh

16 Mar 2021, 2:05 pm #24
Just to provide devil's advocate, given the teeth gnashing, it's worth remembering that Stagecoach only have NSAs available on 20-odd deckers in Tyne & Wear. So, frankly, not mandating such technology is as much about them as it is about the little boys.
markydh
16 Mar 2021, 2:05 pm #24

Just to provide devil's advocate, given the teeth gnashing, it's worth remembering that Stagecoach only have NSAs available on 20-odd deckers in Tyne & Wear. So, frankly, not mandating such technology is as much about them as it is about the little boys.

16 Mar 2021, 3:06 pm #25
(16 Mar 2021, 2:05 pm)markydh Just to provide devil's advocate, given the teeth gnashing, it's worth remembering that Stagecoach only have NSAs available on 20-odd deckers in Tyne & Wear.  So, frankly, not mandating such technology is as much about them as it is about the little boys.

Definitely, there's absolutely no reason why the likes of Stagecoach haven't been installing NSA for a decade now, when you're spending the best part of £250k on a decker, the cost of specifying NSA is likely to be negligible.
streetdeckfan
16 Mar 2021, 3:06 pm #25

(16 Mar 2021, 2:05 pm)markydh Just to provide devil's advocate, given the teeth gnashing, it's worth remembering that Stagecoach only have NSAs available on 20-odd deckers in Tyne & Wear.  So, frankly, not mandating such technology is as much about them as it is about the little boys.

Definitely, there's absolutely no reason why the likes of Stagecoach haven't been installing NSA for a decade now, when you're spending the best part of £250k on a decker, the cost of specifying NSA is likely to be negligible.

16 Mar 2021, 4:49 pm #26

Reasons why are:

Thank you.

They sound dreadful to say the least. If I were a driver, I wouldn't like to take my work home with me no matter how much fuel it could save me.

Say, you remind me of someone. Have we met before?
Clifton Hignett III
16 Mar 2021, 4:49 pm #26

Reasons why are:

Thank you.

They sound dreadful to say the least. If I were a driver, I wouldn't like to take my work home with me no matter how much fuel it could save me.

Say, you remind me of someone. Have we met before?

mb134

16 Mar 2021, 6:02 pm #27

Agreed. First up here are just as backward, the new 70 plates don't even have WiFi, let alone NSAs or USBs, and their app is beyond unreliable. The general condition of both First and Stagecoach fleets up here, in terms of technology, is very much mid-2000s standard - it makes ANEs 'MAX' brand look like the epitome of a luxury service.

I'd still take either of them over something from GCT mind, possibly quite snobby of me but I think that while we do have some very good independents in the NE, we also have some absolute cowboys.
mb134
16 Mar 2021, 6:02 pm #27

Agreed. First up here are just as backward, the new 70 plates don't even have WiFi, let alone NSAs or USBs, and their app is beyond unreliable. The general condition of both First and Stagecoach fleets up here, in terms of technology, is very much mid-2000s standard - it makes ANEs 'MAX' brand look like the epitome of a luxury service.

I'd still take either of them over something from GCT mind, possibly quite snobby of me but I think that while we do have some very good independents in the NE, we also have some absolute cowboys.

16 Mar 2021, 6:39 pm #28
(16 Mar 2021, 6:02 pm)mb134 Agreed. First up here are just as backward, the new 70 plates don't even have WiFi, let alone NSAs or USBs, and their app is beyond unreliable. The general condition of both First and Stagecoach fleets up here, in terms of technology, is very much mid-2000s standard - it makes ANEs 'MAX' brand look like the epitome of a luxury service.

Like I said, if you're spending £250k on a new decker, would it really be too difficult to ask for some mod cons?
As I've also said in the past, there really is nothing to a next stop announcement system, I'd be interested to know how much the likes of Hanover charge for their system.
streetdeckfan
16 Mar 2021, 6:39 pm #28

(16 Mar 2021, 6:02 pm)mb134 Agreed. First up here are just as backward, the new 70 plates don't even have WiFi, let alone NSAs or USBs, and their app is beyond unreliable. The general condition of both First and Stagecoach fleets up here, in terms of technology, is very much mid-2000s standard - it makes ANEs 'MAX' brand look like the epitome of a luxury service.

Like I said, if you're spending £250k on a new decker, would it really be too difficult to ask for some mod cons?
As I've also said in the past, there really is nothing to a next stop announcement system, I'd be interested to know how much the likes of Hanover charge for their system.

Jamie M

16 Mar 2021, 9:21 pm #29
(16 Mar 2021, 6:39 pm)streetdeckfan Like I said, if you're spending £250k on a new decker, would it really be too difficult to ask for some mod cons?

New destination kit goes upwards of 1£k per lot direct from them, so I'd expect nothing less for all the stuff you need to make it suitable (door feed, speakers, the visual displays, the box behind it, software). You then have to have someone to program/maintain it/repair it. Then really, you need wi-fi kits to make it scalable, which is another faff on and associated running costs. It's definitely a cost on bus-by-bus basis, and I'd hate to see the costs over several hundred vehicles.

Enough money to pay some ground staff a bit extra an hour, I'd imagine, though that's just dreaming!
Jamie M
16 Mar 2021, 9:21 pm #29

(16 Mar 2021, 6:39 pm)streetdeckfan Like I said, if you're spending £250k on a new decker, would it really be too difficult to ask for some mod cons?

New destination kit goes upwards of 1£k per lot direct from them, so I'd expect nothing less for all the stuff you need to make it suitable (door feed, speakers, the visual displays, the box behind it, software). You then have to have someone to program/maintain it/repair it. Then really, you need wi-fi kits to make it scalable, which is another faff on and associated running costs. It's definitely a cost on bus-by-bus basis, and I'd hate to see the costs over several hundred vehicles.

Enough money to pay some ground staff a bit extra an hour, I'd imagine, though that's just dreaming!

Adrian

16 Mar 2021, 9:59 pm #30

Quality has to be looked at as more than just next stop announcements though. It's an overall measure, so considering elements such as presentation, real-time info, contactless payments, fare integration into the wider network. They're all examples of quality and all benefit the consumer.

But on next stop, it absolutely should be considered as part of Nexus equality assessment in the tender process, if they're looking to replace a contract that already runs with next stop enabled buses. Contractual or not, the contract award is of detriment to those passengers that rely on such technology.

Adrian
16 Mar 2021, 9:59 pm #30

Quality has to be looked at as more than just next stop announcements though. It's an overall measure, so considering elements such as presentation, real-time info, contactless payments, fare integration into the wider network. They're all examples of quality and all benefit the consumer.

But on next stop, it absolutely should be considered as part of Nexus equality assessment in the tender process, if they're looking to replace a contract that already runs with next stop enabled buses. Contractual or not, the contract award is of detriment to those passengers that rely on such technology.

Big O

16 Mar 2021, 10:04 pm #31

You think Stagecoach are really spending £250k on those polished turds that we call the E400MMC?  Smile  The Siemens used system in London is really good and integrates the likes of scheduling also.  I do think the North-East has potential to become a great city for Transport, its just whether or not the ministers will back the industry up here. I think NSAs, an oyster style ticketing system etc should have become standard years ago.
Big O
16 Mar 2021, 10:04 pm #31

You think Stagecoach are really spending £250k on those polished turds that we call the E400MMC?  Smile  The Siemens used system in London is really good and integrates the likes of scheduling also.  I do think the North-East has potential to become a great city for Transport, its just whether or not the ministers will back the industry up here. I think NSAs, an oyster style ticketing system etc should have become standard years ago.

16 Mar 2021, 10:19 pm #32
(16 Mar 2021, 9:21 pm)Jamie M New destination kit goes upwards of 1£k per lot direct from them, so I'd expect nothing less for all the stuff you need to make it suitable (door feed, speakers, the visual displays, the box behind it, software). You then have to have someone to program/maintain it/repair it. Then really, you need wi-fi kits to make it scalable, which is another faff on and associated running costs. It's definitely a cost on bus-by-bus basis, and I'd hate to see the costs over several hundred vehicles.

I was expecting somewhere around the £5k mark per bus, the equipment itself isn't actually that expensive, it's the software/people that's the real money pit.

Hardware wise, the system can probably run on something as low power as a Raspberry Pi, the speakers are probably £5-10 a pop, LCD/LED displays are cheap as chips these days, I'd expect them to be around £20-30 a screen (cost price, not to the operator, there has to be at least a 5-10x mark up from Hanover), all the sensors are probably pennies. So, in terms of raw cost, you're probably only looking at £100-200 for the hardware

If I'd actually paid attention in school, I would definitely think about developing a low cost alternative.

(16 Mar 2021, 10:04 pm)Big O You think Stagecoach are really spending £250k on those polished turds that we call the E400MMC?  Smile  The Siemens used system in London is really good and integrates the likes of scheduling also.  I do think the North-East has potential to become a great city for Transport, its just whether or not the ministers will back the industry up here. I think NSAs, an oyster style ticketing system etc should have become standard years ago.

The thing is, Oyster style ticketing could have become standard years ago, but everyone went their own way with the smartcards. If they'd have worked together with Nexus on the Pop cards instead of each having an incompatible card, we could have been there a decade ago!
streetdeckfan
16 Mar 2021, 10:19 pm #32

(16 Mar 2021, 9:21 pm)Jamie M New destination kit goes upwards of 1£k per lot direct from them, so I'd expect nothing less for all the stuff you need to make it suitable (door feed, speakers, the visual displays, the box behind it, software). You then have to have someone to program/maintain it/repair it. Then really, you need wi-fi kits to make it scalable, which is another faff on and associated running costs. It's definitely a cost on bus-by-bus basis, and I'd hate to see the costs over several hundred vehicles.

I was expecting somewhere around the £5k mark per bus, the equipment itself isn't actually that expensive, it's the software/people that's the real money pit.

Hardware wise, the system can probably run on something as low power as a Raspberry Pi, the speakers are probably £5-10 a pop, LCD/LED displays are cheap as chips these days, I'd expect them to be around £20-30 a screen (cost price, not to the operator, there has to be at least a 5-10x mark up from Hanover), all the sensors are probably pennies. So, in terms of raw cost, you're probably only looking at £100-200 for the hardware

If I'd actually paid attention in school, I would definitely think about developing a low cost alternative.

(16 Mar 2021, 10:04 pm)Big O You think Stagecoach are really spending £250k on those polished turds that we call the E400MMC?  Smile  The Siemens used system in London is really good and integrates the likes of scheduling also.  I do think the North-East has potential to become a great city for Transport, its just whether or not the ministers will back the industry up here. I think NSAs, an oyster style ticketing system etc should have become standard years ago.

The thing is, Oyster style ticketing could have become standard years ago, but everyone went their own way with the smartcards. If they'd have worked together with Nexus on the Pop cards instead of each having an incompatible card, we could have been there a decade ago!

Acky81

06 Apr 2021, 11:56 pm #33
39 not mentioned is it going
Back to GNE on evenings
Acky81
06 Apr 2021, 11:56 pm #33

39 not mentioned is it going
Back to GNE on evenings

Michael

20 Apr 2021, 1:09 pm #34
(14 Mar 2021, 5:10 pm)Dan Nexus has invited operators to tender for a number of new contracts, which would commence operation from 16 May 2021.

In all instances, the 'quality' weighting (for better features such as contactless payment methods, USB charging points, Wi-Fi and next stop audio-visual announcements) has been removed, in favour of more weighting towards cost.

These are:
  • Service 8 (South Hylton - The Docks): 1 PVR daily (evenings and all day Sunday), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Gateshead Central Taxis.
  • Service 12 (South Shields - The Lonnen): 1 PVR daily (evenings only), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Stagecoach North East.
  • Service 79 (Hall Lane - Barnwell): 1 PVR Mon-Sat, Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 36 - currently operated by JH Coaches.
  • Service 79/79A (Barnwell - Easington Lane): 2 PVR (Mon-Sat evenings and all day Sunday), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Go North East.
  • Services 93/94 and 97 (Gateshead services): 4 PVR (Early morning and late evening journeys), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 36 - currently operated by Go North East.
  • Services 135/136 (Downhill/Hylton Circular): 3 PVR (Early morning journeys), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Go North East.
  • Service 592 (Roker - Doxford International): 1 PVR weekdays only, Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Gateshead Central Taxis.
  • Service 593 (Pallion - Doxford International): 1 PVR weekdays only, Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Gateshead Central Taxis.
There has been lots of discussion on this forum recently regarding the development of bus networks, and what operators do to improve patronage and drive growth on their bus services. There has been a lot of suggestion that the use of better on-board features such as free Wi-Fi, USB charging points and contactless payments help drive growth, whilst next stop announcements improve accessibility. There has also been some suggestions that this isn't enough, and operators should be looking to improve their networks by providing better services which are more catered towards the current market.

It's quite disappointing to see that in this latest batch of tenders, neither of those are deemed important enough (with the same timetables from last year being used again, and the removal of incentive for operators to provide a better quality service).

With it being less than a month until these start, have these been rewarded to Gateshead Central Taxi's yet because we all know they'll win them.... they're NEXUS's favourite company atm.............

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 Apr 2021, 1:09 pm #34

(14 Mar 2021, 5:10 pm)Dan Nexus has invited operators to tender for a number of new contracts, which would commence operation from 16 May 2021.

In all instances, the 'quality' weighting (for better features such as contactless payment methods, USB charging points, Wi-Fi and next stop audio-visual announcements) has been removed, in favour of more weighting towards cost.

These are:
  • Service 8 (South Hylton - The Docks): 1 PVR daily (evenings and all day Sunday), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Gateshead Central Taxis.
  • Service 12 (South Shields - The Lonnen): 1 PVR daily (evenings only), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Stagecoach North East.
  • Service 79 (Hall Lane - Barnwell): 1 PVR Mon-Sat, Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 36 - currently operated by JH Coaches.
  • Service 79/79A (Barnwell - Easington Lane): 2 PVR (Mon-Sat evenings and all day Sunday), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Go North East.
  • Services 93/94 and 97 (Gateshead services): 4 PVR (Early morning and late evening journeys), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 36 - currently operated by Go North East.
  • Services 135/136 (Downhill/Hylton Circular): 3 PVR (Early morning journeys), Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Go North East.
  • Service 592 (Roker - Doxford International): 1 PVR weekdays only, Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Gateshead Central Taxis.
  • Service 593 (Pallion - Doxford International): 1 PVR weekdays only, Euro 5 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 23 - currently operated by Gateshead Central Taxis.
There has been lots of discussion on this forum recently regarding the development of bus networks, and what operators do to improve patronage and drive growth on their bus services. There has been a lot of suggestion that the use of better on-board features such as free Wi-Fi, USB charging points and contactless payments help drive growth, whilst next stop announcements improve accessibility. There has also been some suggestions that this isn't enough, and operators should be looking to improve their networks by providing better services which are more catered towards the current market.

It's quite disappointing to see that in this latest batch of tenders, neither of those are deemed important enough (with the same timetables from last year being used again, and the removal of incentive for operators to provide a better quality service).

With it being less than a month until these start, have these been rewarded to Gateshead Central Taxi's yet because we all know they'll win them.... they're NEXUS's favourite company atm.............

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

20 Apr 2021, 4:41 pm #35
(20 Apr 2021, 1:09 pm)Michael With it being less than a month until these start, have these been rewarded to Gateshead Central Taxi's yet because we all know they'll win them.... they're NEXUS's favourite company atm.............

No, no tenders have yet been awarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
20 Apr 2021, 4:41 pm #35

(20 Apr 2021, 1:09 pm)Michael With it being less than a month until these start, have these been rewarded to Gateshead Central Taxi's yet because we all know they'll win them.... they're NEXUS's favourite company atm.............

No, no tenders have yet been awarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morritt89

05 May 2021, 4:50 pm #36
Is there any official word as to who won what contracts? Rumours (I will refer to it as this as no briefing has yet been issued) spreading round Deptford today that we have lost the 79A.
morritt89
05 May 2021, 4:50 pm #36

Is there any official word as to who won what contracts? Rumours (I will refer to it as this as no briefing has yet been issued) spreading round Deptford today that we have lost the 79A.

LVK 404L

05 May 2021, 7:23 pm #37
(05 May 2021, 4:50 pm)morritt89 Is there any official word as to who won what contracts? Rumours (I will refer to it as this as no briefing has yet been issued) spreading round Deptford today that we have lost the 79A.
Bustimes.org is showing 79A as GCT from 16 May.
LVK 404L
05 May 2021, 7:23 pm #37

(05 May 2021, 4:50 pm)morritt89 Is there any official word as to who won what contracts? Rumours (I will refer to it as this as no briefing has yet been issued) spreading round Deptford today that we have lost the 79A.
Bustimes.org is showing 79A as GCT from 16 May.

05 May 2021, 7:54 pm #38
And the 79 from JH
Micheal Aaron
05 May 2021, 7:54 pm #38

And the 79 from JH

06 May 2021, 4:13 pm #39
A near monopoly on Nexus contracts if that's the case, can't be many left not operated by them? I think GNE only have the 38C and the Newcastle 33 left?
deanmachine
06 May 2021, 4:13 pm #39

A near monopoly on Nexus contracts if that's the case, can't be many left not operated by them? I think GNE only have the 38C and the Newcastle 33 left?

06 May 2021, 5:13 pm #40
(06 May 2021, 4:13 pm)deanmachine A near monopoly on Nexus contracts if that's the case, can't be many left not operated by them? I think GNE only have the 38C and the Newcastle 33 left?

Yes, a near monopoly indeed. GNE automatically get awarded the 42/42A and still have the 33/33A in Newcastle until March next year I guess. A-line, Henry Cooper and Weardale have some works services and scholars contracts are operated by JH, Arriva, GNE, Henry Cooper and Weardale. 

A shame how it's all gone to GCT to be ruined when there are far better operators without much work.
OrangeArrow49
06 May 2021, 5:13 pm #40

(06 May 2021, 4:13 pm)deanmachine A near monopoly on Nexus contracts if that's the case, can't be many left not operated by them? I think GNE only have the 38C and the Newcastle 33 left?

Yes, a near monopoly indeed. GNE automatically get awarded the 42/42A and still have the 33/33A in Newcastle until March next year I guess. A-line, Henry Cooper and Weardale have some works services and scholars contracts are operated by JH, Arriva, GNE, Henry Cooper and Weardale. 

A shame how it's all gone to GCT to be ruined when there are far better operators without much work.

Pages (5) Previous 1 2 35 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average