Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure ZEBRA zero-emission buses scheme launched

ZEBRA zero-emission buses scheme launched

ZEBRA zero-emission buses scheme launched

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): Previous 14 5 6 Next
peter

13 Jan 2022, 8:00 pm #81
(13 Jan 2022, 6:50 pm)BusLoverMum I don't think cls has enough space for all those charging bays.

I do wonder what the future will be Chester-le-Street depot in the coming years. Also I do wonder if there would be any feasibility in GNE opening a new depot at Durham. Say they won the P&R and get all the ZEBRA buses - it says in the bid document the P&R fleet could be maintained at an operators commercial depot. A depot at Durham could house the Durham Park and Ride, Cathedral bus and potentially outstation a couple of buses for the 21. It looks possible that the National Express tender will end due to the merger with Stagecoach, the X21, X22 and 25 could readily be operated from a depot at Durham, and the 8 could be operated from Consett, Washington or Deptford. So that only leaves the 28/28A, 34, 71 and the scholars services, with the southern section of the 28 and the 71 being DCC contracted of course, so potential for splitting between the other depots or dropping a contract or two when they're up for renewal.
peter
13 Jan 2022, 8:00 pm #81

(13 Jan 2022, 6:50 pm)BusLoverMum I don't think cls has enough space for all those charging bays.

I do wonder what the future will be Chester-le-Street depot in the coming years. Also I do wonder if there would be any feasibility in GNE opening a new depot at Durham. Say they won the P&R and get all the ZEBRA buses - it says in the bid document the P&R fleet could be maintained at an operators commercial depot. A depot at Durham could house the Durham Park and Ride, Cathedral bus and potentially outstation a couple of buses for the 21. It looks possible that the National Express tender will end due to the merger with Stagecoach, the X21, X22 and 25 could readily be operated from a depot at Durham, and the 8 could be operated from Consett, Washington or Deptford. So that only leaves the 28/28A, 34, 71 and the scholars services, with the southern section of the 28 and the 71 being DCC contracted of course, so potential for splitting between the other depots or dropping a contract or two when they're up for renewal.

Storx

14 Jan 2022, 8:24 am #82
(13 Jan 2022, 11:02 am)Adrian If any Northumberland money should be going towards Arriva, it makes you wonder why they didn't have the foresight to develop a joint bid with Transport North East? There was nothing the ZEBRA guidance to state that LTAs could only work with a single operator.

Whilst there's no denying that it is a significant investment from the exchequer, there's also a significant amount of private funding involved... the business case states: "The delivery partners of this project, in particular, the bus operators, will provide £21,860,882 in match funding of the capital  costs for buses and infrastructure. This represents 54% of the overall project cost." The delivery partners, from what I read, being Go North East, Northumberland County Council and Durham County Council:

1) Go North East – Delivery of 49 zero emission buses and associated infrastructure operating out of Consett, Riverside and Percy Main depots.
2) Northumberland County Council – Appointment of a delivery partner and associated onward delivery of 10 zero emission buses and infrastructure on routes from Hexham; and
3) Durham County Council Appointment of a delivery partner and associated onward delivery of 14 zero emission buses and infrastructure to operate on Durham’s two Park and Ride routes.

So the ZEBs used on the Hexham services, and the ones used on the Durham Park & Ride, look to be owned by the respective councils. Possibly with a leasing arrangement as part of the contract?

Yeah that's fair enough then if they're part owning the buses in Hexham and GNE are doing the rest. I thought at first we were subsidising the 309/(310/311) and Durham were doing the 21 when arguably neither benefit either council and it seemed a total waste of our tax money when it should be Nexus / the other councils doing it.
Storx
14 Jan 2022, 8:24 am #82

(13 Jan 2022, 11:02 am)Adrian If any Northumberland money should be going towards Arriva, it makes you wonder why they didn't have the foresight to develop a joint bid with Transport North East? There was nothing the ZEBRA guidance to state that LTAs could only work with a single operator.

Whilst there's no denying that it is a significant investment from the exchequer, there's also a significant amount of private funding involved... the business case states: "The delivery partners of this project, in particular, the bus operators, will provide £21,860,882 in match funding of the capital  costs for buses and infrastructure. This represents 54% of the overall project cost." The delivery partners, from what I read, being Go North East, Northumberland County Council and Durham County Council:

1) Go North East – Delivery of 49 zero emission buses and associated infrastructure operating out of Consett, Riverside and Percy Main depots.
2) Northumberland County Council – Appointment of a delivery partner and associated onward delivery of 10 zero emission buses and infrastructure on routes from Hexham; and
3) Durham County Council Appointment of a delivery partner and associated onward delivery of 14 zero emission buses and infrastructure to operate on Durham’s two Park and Ride routes.

So the ZEBs used on the Hexham services, and the ones used on the Durham Park & Ride, look to be owned by the respective councils. Possibly with a leasing arrangement as part of the contract?

Yeah that's fair enough then if they're part owning the buses in Hexham and GNE are doing the rest. I thought at first we were subsidising the 309/(310/311) and Durham were doing the 21 when arguably neither benefit either council and it seemed a total waste of our tax money when it should be Nexus / the other councils doing it.

14 Jan 2022, 8:31 am #83
On the subject of the 21 moving to riverside from Chester. If this is going to happen and there are already another 9 Pelican Yutong on the way could there be services going to other way from riverside to Chester. I'm not sure what capacity is like at riverside but that's potentially 27 new vehicles and charging infrastructure on top of the 9 EVs already there and everything else.
User2613
14 Jan 2022, 8:31 am #83

On the subject of the 21 moving to riverside from Chester. If this is going to happen and there are already another 9 Pelican Yutong on the way could there be services going to other way from riverside to Chester. I'm not sure what capacity is like at riverside but that's potentially 27 new vehicles and charging infrastructure on top of the 9 EVs already there and everything else.

Omega54

14 Jan 2022, 12:13 pm #84
(14 Jan 2022, 8:31 am)User2613 On the subject of the 21 moving to riverside from Chester. If this is going to happen and there are already another 9 Pelican Yutong on the way could there be services going to other way from riverside to Chester. I'm not sure what capacity is like at riverside but that's potentially 27 new vehicles and charging infrastructure on top of the 9 EVs already there and everything else.
I think the capacity is 29/30. 

Tbh, with Go-Ahead realistically not buying very little desiel vehicles in the next couple of years, it's okay everyone saying they'll move to Riverside, but what if the 309/10/11 bid is sucessful are they also going to move to riverside. Aswell as the other 9 on order for presumably the 57. 

+ Tynedale Links bid (granted I don't think hexham would need a new depot) will that include not only minibuses, but other vehicles for the 684...or the 689 (which is consett operated). Consett depot being only a few years old, I doubt they would have not thought about the future adding electric vechiles and there is a lot of space around the depot, so electrifying consett i don't see will be a massive issue. 

Its mainley CLS/Percy Main/Deptford/Washington (granted Washington's fleet is relatively young). that I am wondering where they are going to place stuff. Or are they just going to transfer all new electric buses to Riverside, and replace the older Mercedes with 17' Plate Streetlites  or 63' Versa's when they get replaced with electric buses. And the other depots just get the left over and no new buses...Which is basically against what CAZ was introduced for. SC is doing the same.
Omega54
14 Jan 2022, 12:13 pm #84

(14 Jan 2022, 8:31 am)User2613 On the subject of the 21 moving to riverside from Chester. If this is going to happen and there are already another 9 Pelican Yutong on the way could there be services going to other way from riverside to Chester. I'm not sure what capacity is like at riverside but that's potentially 27 new vehicles and charging infrastructure on top of the 9 EVs already there and everything else.
I think the capacity is 29/30. 

Tbh, with Go-Ahead realistically not buying very little desiel vehicles in the next couple of years, it's okay everyone saying they'll move to Riverside, but what if the 309/10/11 bid is sucessful are they also going to move to riverside. Aswell as the other 9 on order for presumably the 57. 

+ Tynedale Links bid (granted I don't think hexham would need a new depot) will that include not only minibuses, but other vehicles for the 684...or the 689 (which is consett operated). Consett depot being only a few years old, I doubt they would have not thought about the future adding electric vechiles and there is a lot of space around the depot, so electrifying consett i don't see will be a massive issue. 

Its mainley CLS/Percy Main/Deptford/Washington (granted Washington's fleet is relatively young). that I am wondering where they are going to place stuff. Or are they just going to transfer all new electric buses to Riverside, and replace the older Mercedes with 17' Plate Streetlites  or 63' Versa's when they get replaced with electric buses. And the other depots just get the left over and no new buses...Which is basically against what CAZ was introduced for. SC is doing the same.

Ambassador

14 Jan 2022, 12:13 pm #85
Slightly off topic but I'd assume Chester Le Street is a listed building? It may not be.

Plenty of land for a depot. Drum Industrial Estate and swathes of other land around the area available to build a more efficient cost effective depot.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
14 Jan 2022, 12:13 pm #85

Slightly off topic but I'd assume Chester Le Street is a listed building? It may not be.

Plenty of land for a depot. Drum Industrial Estate and swathes of other land around the area available to build a more efficient cost effective depot.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Michael

27 Feb 2022, 10:19 am #86
Any idea when we will find out if the NE has won any of this funding?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
27 Feb 2022, 10:19 am #86

Any idea when we will find out if the NE has won any of this funding?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

27 Feb 2022, 11:41 am #87
(27 Feb 2022, 10:19 am)Michael Any idea when we will find out if the NE has won any of this funding?

February 2022, according to the timetable they published!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 Feb 2022, 11:41 am #87

(27 Feb 2022, 10:19 am)Michael Any idea when we will find out if the NE has won any of this funding?

February 2022, according to the timetable they published!

busmanT

26 Mar 2022, 6:45 am #88
ZEBRA funding announced
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-on...lion-boost
busmanT
26 Mar 2022, 6:45 am #88

ZEBRA funding announced

26 Mar 2022, 7:40 am #89
Clearly the government think that levelling up the whole of England" only counts as far north as York.
User2613
26 Mar 2022, 7:40 am #89

Clearly the government think that levelling up the whole of England" only counts as far north as York.

L469 YVK

26 Mar 2022, 8:49 am #90
(26 Mar 2022, 6:45 am)busmanT ZEBRA funding announced
So that means no EV's for the Angel or Cobalt & Coast unless Go Ahead go down a different route?
L469 YVK
26 Mar 2022, 8:49 am #90

So that means no EV's for the Angel or Cobalt & Coast unless Go Ahead go down a different route?

Storx

26 Mar 2022, 9:10 am #91
Not a surprise really they won funding last time round and half the routes were running around the countryside which have little impact unlike Gateshead last time.
Storx
26 Mar 2022, 9:10 am #91

Not a surprise really they won funding last time round and half the routes were running around the countryside which have little impact unlike Gateshead last time.

Michael

26 Mar 2022, 9:15 am #92

Wow what a surprise... sod all for the NE...... knew we wouldn't get out anyway.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
26 Mar 2022, 9:15 am #92

Wow what a surprise... sod all for the NE...... knew we wouldn't get out anyway.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

26 Mar 2022, 9:16 am #93
More 'levelling up' for the North East!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian
26 Mar 2022, 9:16 am #93

More 'levelling up' for the North East!

Unber43

26 Mar 2022, 11:05 am #94
So i take it, no electric buses now.

just plaine diesel
Unber43
26 Mar 2022, 11:05 am #94

So i take it, no electric buses now.

just plaine diesel

Andreos1

26 Mar 2022, 12:27 pm #95
(26 Mar 2022, 11:05 am)Unber43 So i take it, no electric buses now.

just plaine diesel 
I don't know if aviation fuel works on the current GNE fleet.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Mar 2022, 12:27 pm #95

(26 Mar 2022, 11:05 am)Unber43 So i take it, no electric buses now.

just plaine diesel 
I don't know if aviation fuel works on the current GNE fleet.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

L469 YVK

26 Mar 2022, 1:18 pm #96
With Arriva's Blyth depot plans and also a predicted investment within the next few years (given it's normally a depot at a time), could they not submit an EV bid for the 306/308?
L469 YVK
26 Mar 2022, 1:18 pm #96

With Arriva's Blyth depot plans and also a predicted investment within the next few years (given it's normally a depot at a time), could they not submit an EV bid for the 306/308?

Storx

26 Mar 2022, 1:40 pm #97
(26 Mar 2022, 1:18 pm)L469 YVK With Arriva's Blyth depot plans and also a predicted investment within the next few years (given it's normally a depot at a time), could they not submit an EV bid for the 306/308?

Can't see them ever going for EV at Blyth there's not enough space for starters.

For some reason I have a feeling Arriva will be fully hydrogen to keep some continuity and Teesside is pretty much guaranteed to go down that route and EV on the majority of Ashington's routes would be a waste of time. Even Blyth would be useless currently as the routes are too long. 

Stagecoach is the obvious choice in Newcastle as it would be ideal for most routes.
Storx
26 Mar 2022, 1:40 pm #97

(26 Mar 2022, 1:18 pm)L469 YVK With Arriva's Blyth depot plans and also a predicted investment within the next few years (given it's normally a depot at a time), could they not submit an EV bid for the 306/308?

Can't see them ever going for EV at Blyth there's not enough space for starters.

For some reason I have a feeling Arriva will be fully hydrogen to keep some continuity and Teesside is pretty much guaranteed to go down that route and EV on the majority of Ashington's routes would be a waste of time. Even Blyth would be useless currently as the routes are too long. 

Stagecoach is the obvious choice in Newcastle as it would be ideal for most routes.

DeltaMan

26 Mar 2022, 2:30 pm #98
Maybe Transport governance is so poor in the North East that the ZEBRA applications going in arent deemed good enough.
DeltaMan
26 Mar 2022, 2:30 pm #98

Maybe Transport governance is so poor in the North East that the ZEBRA applications going in arent deemed good enough.

mb134

27 Mar 2022, 11:46 am #99
(26 Mar 2022, 9:16 am)Adrian More 'levelling up' for the North East!

Think you'll find that the £20m redevelopment of Blyth town centre is all the levelling up we need! At least, that's what the digital boards around Newcastle suggest...
mb134
27 Mar 2022, 11:46 am #99

(26 Mar 2022, 9:16 am)Adrian More 'levelling up' for the North East!

Think you'll find that the £20m redevelopment of Blyth town centre is all the levelling up we need! At least, that's what the digital boards around Newcastle suggest...

busmanT

27 Mar 2022, 12:13 pm #100
(26 Mar 2022, 2:30 pm)DeltaMan Maybe Transport governance is so poor in the North East that the ZEBRA applications going in arent deemed good enough.

Looking at the successful bids they all seem to be based around the conversion of a significant part of a single town network to zero emission buses - Blackpool, Oxford, Rotherham, Bradford, Harrogate etc. - whereas the North East bid (I don't think that governance is an issue is this case) was about bits converted to electric here, there and almost everywhere. 

Previous funding has enabled Go North East to get the 9 for 53/54 and the next 9 for ??? (Q3 perhaps, as now it's been butchered it only needs 8 buses).
busmanT
27 Mar 2022, 12:13 pm #100

(26 Mar 2022, 2:30 pm)DeltaMan Maybe Transport governance is so poor in the North East that the ZEBRA applications going in arent deemed good enough.

Looking at the successful bids they all seem to be based around the conversion of a significant part of a single town network to zero emission buses - Blackpool, Oxford, Rotherham, Bradford, Harrogate etc. - whereas the North East bid (I don't think that governance is an issue is this case) was about bits converted to electric here, there and almost everywhere. 

Previous funding has enabled Go North East to get the 9 for 53/54 and the next 9 for ??? (Q3 perhaps, as now it's been butchered it only needs 8 buses).

Pages (6): Previous 14 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average