Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East MG’s live Facebook updates

MG’s live Facebook updates

MG’s live Facebook updates

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (7) Previous 1 2 3 47 Next
peter

07 Aug 2021, 6:35 pm #41
(07 Aug 2021, 4:54 pm)L469 YVK I agree with Martijn. GNE could easily sit around and not invest in marketing, vehicles and branding. They could also not cut routes to "keep the small minority of punters" happy. But at what cost? Would that be sustainable in the long term? 

To put it in a context (and I do have some sympathy to an extent), the only decent deckers Arriva Northumbria have are the 17 plate Sapphires at Ashington and probably the 14 plate Sapphires if they haven't been shot regularly standing in on the Alnwick / Berwick 'X' routes. The youngest decker at Blyth depot (where some of their alleged 'goldmine' routes run from) is soon to be 10 year old! 

Arriva might be making a profit but at somepoint, the old vehicles that "do just fine" and "at least turn up" will need replacing. Where will Arriva / DB get the capital from and how can they sustainably replace them?

If anything, Arriva could take a leaf out of GNE's book and actually run a sustainable operation that's customer friendly too and even deliver some benefits. Prime example being a restructure of the X7/X8/X9/X10/X11. If Arriva somehow replaced the southern part of the X8 and introduced a new 'X' for the Northern part eventually combining with the X10/X11 between Cramlington and Newcastle, that would be an instant win with faster journeys.

Arriva's business model is seemingly to buy a vast number of buses over a couple years, run them for their life span and then replace them, whereas the GNE model is one of a continually modernising fleet with x buses in the door replacing x buses out the door each year. If you think back ANE had Prestiges, Darts, Olympian's etc running around at the end of their service life and then from 2008 through 2012 they underwent a massive fleet replacement with Solo', Pulsars, Temsa's and Gemini's (supplemented by a couple Streetlite and E400 orders in 2014/15).

Undoubtedly GNE's method is the best for passengers meaning fewer people are having to use old buses, while ANE's might work out best from a business point of view, with a number of years on the trot making a profit by not having to invest in any new vehicles. It will be very interesting to see what happens later this decade when Arriva's fleet comes up for renewal once again!

As for the service changes, you do have to hand it to GNE for trying out different things, but at the same time a lot can be said for stability. While a brand new route with a sparkly new bus is all well and good, it's maybe less appetising if 12 months down the line it's going to change route and end up being shafted with older vehicles.
peter
07 Aug 2021, 6:35 pm #41

(07 Aug 2021, 4:54 pm)L469 YVK I agree with Martijn. GNE could easily sit around and not invest in marketing, vehicles and branding. They could also not cut routes to "keep the small minority of punters" happy. But at what cost? Would that be sustainable in the long term? 

To put it in a context (and I do have some sympathy to an extent), the only decent deckers Arriva Northumbria have are the 17 plate Sapphires at Ashington and probably the 14 plate Sapphires if they haven't been shot regularly standing in on the Alnwick / Berwick 'X' routes. The youngest decker at Blyth depot (where some of their alleged 'goldmine' routes run from) is soon to be 10 year old! 

Arriva might be making a profit but at somepoint, the old vehicles that "do just fine" and "at least turn up" will need replacing. Where will Arriva / DB get the capital from and how can they sustainably replace them?

If anything, Arriva could take a leaf out of GNE's book and actually run a sustainable operation that's customer friendly too and even deliver some benefits. Prime example being a restructure of the X7/X8/X9/X10/X11. If Arriva somehow replaced the southern part of the X8 and introduced a new 'X' for the Northern part eventually combining with the X10/X11 between Cramlington and Newcastle, that would be an instant win with faster journeys.

Arriva's business model is seemingly to buy a vast number of buses over a couple years, run them for their life span and then replace them, whereas the GNE model is one of a continually modernising fleet with x buses in the door replacing x buses out the door each year. If you think back ANE had Prestiges, Darts, Olympian's etc running around at the end of their service life and then from 2008 through 2012 they underwent a massive fleet replacement with Solo', Pulsars, Temsa's and Gemini's (supplemented by a couple Streetlite and E400 orders in 2014/15).

Undoubtedly GNE's method is the best for passengers meaning fewer people are having to use old buses, while ANE's might work out best from a business point of view, with a number of years on the trot making a profit by not having to invest in any new vehicles. It will be very interesting to see what happens later this decade when Arriva's fleet comes up for renewal once again!

As for the service changes, you do have to hand it to GNE for trying out different things, but at the same time a lot can be said for stability. While a brand new route with a sparkly new bus is all well and good, it's maybe less appetising if 12 months down the line it's going to change route and end up being shafted with older vehicles.

L469 YVK

07 Aug 2021, 7:27 pm #42
(07 Aug 2021, 6:33 pm)Storx There's nothing wrong with the DB300's at Blyth and there's not much difference age wise between them and the 100 or so B5TL's/B9TL's which are between 11 - 63 plate at GoNorthEast which won't be going nowhere anytime soon.

Stagecoach is the one you should be targeting about old battered fleets. There's battered MAN's running around on flagship services every day which are much much much worse than the Arriva Northumbria fleet.

If your making a profit, it's probably not in your best interest to copy a bus company which isn't making a profit. Change the X8 and X9 by all means as they probably are going to struggle at some point but I'd leave the X7, X10 and X11 alone there's nothing wrong with them.
Big difference between the DB300s and B9TLs. B9TLs are a heavier vehicle thus will last as long as Leyland & Volvo Olympians did. Arriva were running 1997 P4** CCU Palatines until 2012/2013.

Stagecoach......completely different type of work to Arriva. To be fair to your comment, they could do with some "cleaner" buses on key routes. But in terms of vehicle quality and performance, the majority of their work is the likes of rata****g up and down Shields Rd & Blackett Street. Arriva's work is interurban / suburban and needs a higher quality vehicle. GNE have recently ordered StreetDecks but will no doubt have sensible plans after 5-7 years to cascade them to "easier" routes.

Fair enough, Arriva are making a profit but how long can they "sustainably" keep making a profit? Blyth's DB300s, Ashington's 64 & 15 plate E400s and the B7TLs dotted around will need replacing on a large scale and at significant cost. Arriva Northumbria (based on pre March 2020 service levels) need to cut their PVR by around 10-15 vehicles.
L469 YVK
07 Aug 2021, 7:27 pm #42

(07 Aug 2021, 6:33 pm)Storx There's nothing wrong with the DB300's at Blyth and there's not much difference age wise between them and the 100 or so B5TL's/B9TL's which are between 11 - 63 plate at GoNorthEast which won't be going nowhere anytime soon.

Stagecoach is the one you should be targeting about old battered fleets. There's battered MAN's running around on flagship services every day which are much much much worse than the Arriva Northumbria fleet.

If your making a profit, it's probably not in your best interest to copy a bus company which isn't making a profit. Change the X8 and X9 by all means as they probably are going to struggle at some point but I'd leave the X7, X10 and X11 alone there's nothing wrong with them.
Big difference between the DB300s and B9TLs. B9TLs are a heavier vehicle thus will last as long as Leyland & Volvo Olympians did. Arriva were running 1997 P4** CCU Palatines until 2012/2013.

Stagecoach......completely different type of work to Arriva. To be fair to your comment, they could do with some "cleaner" buses on key routes. But in terms of vehicle quality and performance, the majority of their work is the likes of rata****g up and down Shields Rd & Blackett Street. Arriva's work is interurban / suburban and needs a higher quality vehicle. GNE have recently ordered StreetDecks but will no doubt have sensible plans after 5-7 years to cascade them to "easier" routes.

Fair enough, Arriva are making a profit but how long can they "sustainably" keep making a profit? Blyth's DB300s, Ashington's 64 & 15 plate E400s and the B7TLs dotted around will need replacing on a large scale and at significant cost. Arriva Northumbria (based on pre March 2020 service levels) need to cut their PVR by around 10-15 vehicles.

ne14ne1

30 Oct 2021, 6:44 am #43
Live update from MG yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/100009920923911...3754764936

Head to the ZEBRA thread in the Bus Ops area of the forum to see the conversation so far on the EV bid.
ne14ne1
30 Oct 2021, 6:44 am #43

Live update from MG yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/100009920923911...3754764936

Head to the ZEBRA thread in the Bus Ops area of the forum to see the conversation so far on the EV bid.

ne14ne1

24 Dec 2021, 8:18 am #44
Copying link here for other thread.

https://www.facebook.com/100009920923911...2637956404
ne14ne1
24 Dec 2021, 8:18 am #44

Copying link here for other thread.

https://www.facebook.com/100009920923911...2637956404

L469 YVK

25 Jan 2022, 8:36 pm #45
Just seen MG's video update. Some changes to Percy Main services in March. Will GNE revert the evening 309 journeys back to xx:45 or xx:50 in line with potential BSIP?
L469 YVK
25 Jan 2022, 8:36 pm #45

Just seen MG's video update. Some changes to Percy Main services in March. Will GNE revert the evening 309 journeys back to xx:45 or xx:50 in line with potential BSIP?

Thomas12

25 Jan 2022, 9:11 pm #46
(25 Jan 2022, 8:36 pm)L469 YVK Just seen MG's video update. Some changes to Percy Main services in March. Will GNE revert the evening 309 journeys back to xx:45 or xx:50 in line with potential BSIP?

Wonder if it's more to do with Nexus contract changes? 

Believe the 41/41A are being cut from Howdon and Holy Cross with the 11 replacing them, although that's just talk from a driver.
Thomas12
25 Jan 2022, 9:11 pm #46

(25 Jan 2022, 8:36 pm)L469 YVK Just seen MG's video update. Some changes to Percy Main services in March. Will GNE revert the evening 309 journeys back to xx:45 or xx:50 in line with potential BSIP?

Wonder if it's more to do with Nexus contract changes? 

Believe the 41/41A are being cut from Howdon and Holy Cross with the 11 replacing them, although that's just talk from a driver.

25 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm #47
(25 Jan 2022, 9:11 pm)Thomas12 Wonder if it's more to do with Nexus contract changes? 

Sounds bleak from the way Martijn talks on that video, particularly if the public funding bail out from LAs that he seems to be relying on doesn't materialise.

Realise we don't know what the future holds for other operators but notable this will be the second round of major cuts (sounds like anyway) from GNE with Stagecoach and Arriva (as far as I'm aware) having made no substantial cuts since pre-pandemic.  I'm sure they will come for those as well in some form, but why is it GNE seem so badly affected on this compared to the other NE operators?
stagecoachbusdepot
25 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm #47

(25 Jan 2022, 9:11 pm)Thomas12 Wonder if it's more to do with Nexus contract changes? 

Sounds bleak from the way Martijn talks on that video, particularly if the public funding bail out from LAs that he seems to be relying on doesn't materialise.

Realise we don't know what the future holds for other operators but notable this will be the second round of major cuts (sounds like anyway) from GNE with Stagecoach and Arriva (as far as I'm aware) having made no substantial cuts since pre-pandemic.  I'm sure they will come for those as well in some form, but why is it GNE seem so badly affected on this compared to the other NE operators?

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Jan 2022, 9:35 pm #48
(25 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Sounds bleak from the way Martijn talks on that video, particularly if the public funding bail out from LAs that he seems to be relying on doesn't materialise.

Go North East were in the worst position financially pre-pandemic. Post-pandemic, without CBSSG, only Stagecoach are making a profit in the North East (and a small one at that). It’s not surprising that Go North East is therefore making the biggest cuts. I think Arriva have made some fairly big cuts across the network too, but seem to ‘get away with it’ for want of a better phrase.

The cuts from other operators will come, you are correct. I have just posted earlier this evening that Nexus tenders in North Tyneside and Newcastle include services which are currently operated by Stagecoach commercially, that they intend to withdraw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
25 Jan 2022, 9:35 pm #48

(25 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Sounds bleak from the way Martijn talks on that video, particularly if the public funding bail out from LAs that he seems to be relying on doesn't materialise.

Go North East were in the worst position financially pre-pandemic. Post-pandemic, without CBSSG, only Stagecoach are making a profit in the North East (and a small one at that). It’s not surprising that Go North East is therefore making the biggest cuts. I think Arriva have made some fairly big cuts across the network too, but seem to ‘get away with it’ for want of a better phrase.

The cuts from other operators will come, you are correct. I have just posted earlier this evening that Nexus tenders in North Tyneside and Newcastle include services which are currently operated by Stagecoach commercially, that they intend to withdraw.

ne14ne1

25 Jan 2022, 10:00 pm #49
Please could someone with Facebook post a link to MG’s earlier update?
Thanks.
ne14ne1
25 Jan 2022, 10:00 pm #49

Please could someone with Facebook post a link to MG’s earlier update?
Thanks.

25 Jan 2022, 10:55 pm #51

They want to cut the 11, 42/42a and 19 completely/. The 41 will go from Hadrian Park to Wallsend only via Wiltshire Drive.

The Q3 will also only go as far as St. Peters all day and go via osborne road

Its likely they are cutting those services so that Nexus have to put a tender out for them that GNE can then bid on, as i believe Martijn said in the update. because although the reasoning for them being cut is that they lose money operating them there is still alot of demand for them in the day.
AnonPM1
25 Jan 2022, 10:55 pm #51

They want to cut the 11, 42/42a and 19 completely/. The 41 will go from Hadrian Park to Wallsend only via Wiltshire Drive.

Its likely they are cutting those services so that Nexus have to put a tender out for them that GNE can then bid on, as i believe Martijn said in the update. because although the reasoning for them being cut is that they lose money operating them there is still alot of demand for them in the day.

BusLoverMum

25 Jan 2022, 10:59 pm #52
(25 Jan 2022, 9:35 pm)Dan Go North East were in the worst position financially pre-pandemic. Post-pandemic, without CBSSG, only Stagecoach are making a profit in the North East (and a small one at that). It’s not surprising that Go North East is therefore making the biggest cuts. I think Arriva have made some fairly big cuts across the network too, but seem to ‘get away with it’ for want of a better phrase.

Arriva are mostly being quiet about it. I can't think of any services that have been axed but many in Co Durham have been gradually halved. The 6, 7 and 64 are all a fraction of their former selves.
BusLoverMum
25 Jan 2022, 10:59 pm #52

(25 Jan 2022, 9:35 pm)Dan Go North East were in the worst position financially pre-pandemic. Post-pandemic, without CBSSG, only Stagecoach are making a profit in the North East (and a small one at that). It’s not surprising that Go North East is therefore making the biggest cuts. I think Arriva have made some fairly big cuts across the network too, but seem to ‘get away with it’ for want of a better phrase.

Arriva are mostly being quiet about it. I can't think of any services that have been axed but many in Co Durham have been gradually halved. The 6, 7 and 64 are all a fraction of their former selves.

Thomas12

25 Jan 2022, 11:04 pm #53
(25 Jan 2022, 10:55 pm)AnonPM1 They want to cut the 11, 42/42a and 19 completely/. The 41 will go from Hadrian Park to Wallsend only via Wiltshire Drive.

The Q3 will also only go as far as St. Peters all day

Pretty drastic and disgraceful cuts. Hopefully they don’t win them back.
Thomas12
25 Jan 2022, 11:04 pm #53

(25 Jan 2022, 10:55 pm)AnonPM1 They want to cut the 11, 42/42a and 19 completely/. The 41 will go from Hadrian Park to Wallsend only via Wiltshire Drive.

The Q3 will also only go as far as St. Peters all day

Pretty drastic and disgraceful cuts. Hopefully they don’t win them back.

peter

25 Jan 2022, 11:05 pm #54
(25 Jan 2022, 10:59 pm)BusLoverMum Arriva are mostly being quiet about it. I can't think of any services that have been axed but many in Co Durham have been gradually halved. The 6, 7 and 64 are all a fraction of their former selves.

I suppose Arriva's service changes have primarily been frequency reductions as opposed to more drastic network changes. In Northumbria it's been the 46, 55, X10/X11, and the withdrawal of the X16 (the 1 & 2 were also reduced but capacity increased). In Stockton the 7, 8 and 9 were all reduced slightly, in Darlington the town services 2/3/4/9/10 and the X26 and in Durham the 43 and 49. In fairness, the 6, 7 and 64 have always been maintained as temporary - whether that's the case or not remains to be seen. The 56 was recently re-increased so that's a good sign.
peter
25 Jan 2022, 11:05 pm #54

(25 Jan 2022, 10:59 pm)BusLoverMum Arriva are mostly being quiet about it. I can't think of any services that have been axed but many in Co Durham have been gradually halved. The 6, 7 and 64 are all a fraction of their former selves.

I suppose Arriva's service changes have primarily been frequency reductions as opposed to more drastic network changes. In Northumbria it's been the 46, 55, X10/X11, and the withdrawal of the X16 (the 1 & 2 were also reduced but capacity increased). In Stockton the 7, 8 and 9 were all reduced slightly, in Darlington the town services 2/3/4/9/10 and the X26 and in Durham the 43 and 49. In fairness, the 6, 7 and 64 have always been maintained as temporary - whether that's the case or not remains to be seen. The 56 was recently re-increased so that's a good sign.

busmanT

25 Jan 2022, 11:09 pm #55
(25 Jan 2022, 11:04 pm)Thomas12 Pretty drastic and disgraceful cuts. Hopefully they don’t win them back.

Given the current National driver shortage, it’s very likely that the only operators who will be able to operate the contracts will be the ones who run them now, so they are likely to be the only ones who tender.
I can’t see Nexus having sufficient money to replace everything exactly the same.
busmanT
25 Jan 2022, 11:09 pm #55

(25 Jan 2022, 11:04 pm)Thomas12 Pretty drastic and disgraceful cuts. Hopefully they don’t win them back.

Given the current National driver shortage, it’s very likely that the only operators who will be able to operate the contracts will be the ones who run them now, so they are likely to be the only ones who tender.
I can’t see Nexus having sufficient money to replace everything exactly the same.

25 Jan 2022, 11:13 pm #56

The 19 and 42/42A are getting withdrawn? Absolute disgrace if that happens. Could just reduce the frequency of these services.
OrangeArrow49
25 Jan 2022, 11:13 pm #56

The 19 and 42/42A are getting withdrawn? Absolute disgrace if that happens. Could just reduce the frequency of these services.

Thomas12

25 Jan 2022, 11:20 pm #57
(25 Jan 2022, 11:09 pm)busmanT Given the current National driver shortage, it’s very likely that the only operators who will be able to operate the contracts will be the ones who run them now, so they are likely to be the only ones who tender.

I agree.

However - to cut that many services without even trying any different, as Andreos has mentioned before, is a disgrace. 

They could’ve just reduced the 11 in frequency, or incorporated services together. And to reduce the Q3 completely between Wallsend and St Peters is another disgraceful decision, could’ve just operated half hourly.
Thomas12
25 Jan 2022, 11:20 pm #57

(25 Jan 2022, 11:09 pm)busmanT Given the current National driver shortage, it’s very likely that the only operators who will be able to operate the contracts will be the ones who run them now, so they are likely to be the only ones who tender.

I agree.

However - to cut that many services without even trying any different, as Andreos has mentioned before, is a disgrace. 

They could’ve just reduced the 11 in frequency, or incorporated services together. And to reduce the Q3 completely between Wallsend and St Peters is another disgraceful decision, could’ve just operated half hourly.

25 Jan 2022, 11:28 pm #58
Looks like from one of MGs comments the £1 fare is being replaced with a £2 fare, is this the case?
streetdeckfan
25 Jan 2022, 11:28 pm #58

Looks like from one of MGs comments the £1 fare is being replaced with a £2 fare, is this the case?

25 Jan 2022, 11:31 pm #59
(25 Jan 2022, 11:20 pm)Thomas12 I agree.

I didn't expect the Q3 to get curtailed at St Peters, and thought more likely the 1 would be curtailed to Wallsend - Whitley Bay with plenty of cross river services and the 22 to Wallsend from Market Street (plus 12, 40 and Q3).

1, 11 and Q3 reduced frequency. 

19, I'm unsure what could be done with that, any ideas? 

42/42A could operate two-hourly (combined hourly on common sections) perhaps curtailed at Killingworth or Benton (still operating to/from  Cramlington/Kingston Park).
OrangeArrow49
25 Jan 2022, 11:31 pm #59

I didn't expect the Q3 to get curtailed at St Peters, and thought more likely the 1 would be curtailed to Wallsend - Whitley Bay with plenty of cross river services and the 22 to Wallsend from Market Street (plus 12, 40 and Q3).

1, 11 and Q3 reduced frequency. 

19, I'm unsure what could be done with that, any ideas? 

42/42A could operate two-hourly (combined hourly on common sections) perhaps curtailed at Killingworth or Benton (still operating to/from  Cramlington/Kingston Park).

Storx

25 Jan 2022, 11:32 pm #60

In fairness to the Q3 it could be for competition reasons aswell. Apart from St Peter's Basin, the rest of the route is pretty much covered by the 12, 22, 39 and 40.

If the rumours are true about the 11, 19, 41 and 42/42A then GNE should leave North Tyneside altogether. Their routes just create unnecessary competition with Arriva along the Coast Road with the Arriva services changed to serve the areas missed and then unnecessary competition with Stagecoach through Wallsend with the 1 which could easily be a variant of the 22. Other than that they offer nothing literally. At the end of the day isn't this what the point of BSIP is? or is it just when it's not profitable.

I'm sure someone will come along to tell me they have a good footing through Battle Hill because they live there soon though.
Storx
25 Jan 2022, 11:32 pm #60

In fairness to the Q3 it could be for competition reasons aswell. Apart from St Peter's Basin, the rest of the route is pretty much covered by the 12, 22, 39 and 40.

If the rumours are true about the 11, 19, 41 and 42/42A then GNE should leave North Tyneside altogether. Their routes just create unnecessary competition with Arriva along the Coast Road with the Arriva services changed to serve the areas missed and then unnecessary competition with Stagecoach through Wallsend with the 1 which could easily be a variant of the 22. Other than that they offer nothing literally. At the end of the day isn't this what the point of BSIP is? or is it just when it's not profitable.

I'm sure someone will come along to tell me they have a good footing through Battle Hill because they live there soon though.

Pages (7) Previous 1 2 3 47 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average