Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Favourite/least favourite Type of bus

Favourite/least favourite Type of bus

Favourite/least favourite Type of bus

• 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Adrian

07 Sep 2013, 8:30 pm #21
(07 Sep 2013, 8:09 pm)tyresmoke Oops no, seems the 873 got culled last summer! Glad I got a ride on it while it still existed then! Hexham is busy on a summer Tuesday on market day though... Superb time to go for photos.... But that's not for this thread!
Can't believe I forgot to mention Volvo Olympians in my original post too! The ultimate superb vehicle!

I love the Olympians too, but when I originally posted I tried to break it up a bit with type, then old/new. It really was a toss up between the Atlantean and Olympian for me. Both were absolute powerhouses, but the Atlantean just tipped it for me. Partially because it stood out from a mile off with it's unique shape.

As for singles, it was really between the Delta and National for me. Had some great trips on both, but the Delta just beat it for me. Used to regularly ride into Sunderland on the X4 on one, through Castletown, up John Street, and into the City Centre.

As for the newer generation. I found this probably the hardest of the lot. The rigid Citaros and Gemini 2s really stand out for me, not to mention the NB4L. However I always thought riding on an OmniCity was something a little bit different. Stylish on both the inside and out. The deckers really do resemble the singles, so if you like one you'll like both.

Citaro bendies might be a bit of a shock mention to some, but I really do think these buses had potential. They've come up here and been given a hard time with unsuitable routes (Citylink specifically). When I originally used these down London I thought they were great, so was obviously buzzing when I knew they were coming up here. Infact I waited a good hour at Heworth to catch the loan one they had haha. If they were reliable, I guess they'd be a contender for most.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Sep 2013, 8:30 pm #21

(07 Sep 2013, 8:09 pm)tyresmoke Oops no, seems the 873 got culled last summer! Glad I got a ride on it while it still existed then! Hexham is busy on a summer Tuesday on market day though... Superb time to go for photos.... But that's not for this thread!
Can't believe I forgot to mention Volvo Olympians in my original post too! The ultimate superb vehicle!

I love the Olympians too, but when I originally posted I tried to break it up a bit with type, then old/new. It really was a toss up between the Atlantean and Olympian for me. Both were absolute powerhouses, but the Atlantean just tipped it for me. Partially because it stood out from a mile off with it's unique shape.

As for singles, it was really between the Delta and National for me. Had some great trips on both, but the Delta just beat it for me. Used to regularly ride into Sunderland on the X4 on one, through Castletown, up John Street, and into the City Centre.

As for the newer generation. I found this probably the hardest of the lot. The rigid Citaros and Gemini 2s really stand out for me, not to mention the NB4L. However I always thought riding on an OmniCity was something a little bit different. Stylish on both the inside and out. The deckers really do resemble the singles, so if you like one you'll like both.

Citaro bendies might be a bit of a shock mention to some, but I really do think these buses had potential. They've come up here and been given a hard time with unsuitable routes (Citylink specifically). When I originally used these down London I thought they were great, so was obviously buzzing when I knew they were coming up here. Infact I waited a good hour at Heworth to catch the loan one they had haha. If they were reliable, I guess they'd be a contender for most.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

08 Sep 2013, 6:59 am #22
I find I dislike any bus that bends to be honest
MrFozz
08 Sep 2013, 6:59 am #22

I find I dislike any bus that bends to be honest

Andreos1

08 Sep 2013, 7:05 pm #23
The Leyland Atlantean and Olympians seem to be a popular choice.
Did anyone have a particular type of model or body that was a favourite?

I can't remember the model or who the coachbuilder was - but one of the Gateshead Atlanteans stood out, only because it had a giant black bumper at the front of the bus.
As far as I'm aware, it was the only type of its kind in the area and because it was unique and different, I loved it.
Edited 08 Sep 2013, 7:06 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
08 Sep 2013, 7:05 pm #23

The Leyland Atlantean and Olympians seem to be a popular choice.
Did anyone have a particular type of model or body that was a favourite?

I can't remember the model or who the coachbuilder was - but one of the Gateshead Atlanteans stood out, only because it had a giant black bumper at the front of the bus.
As far as I'm aware, it was the only type of its kind in the area and because it was unique and different, I loved it.

BJ10VUS

08 Sep 2013, 7:11 pm #24
(07 Sep 2013, 8:30 pm)aureolin I always thought riding on an OmniCity was something a little bit different. Stylish on both the inside and out.

I like the look of them, and some are lovely to travel on, especially with the legroom in most of the seats. However, some vibrate and rattle like mad - especially those used on the 9 - which is increasingly noticeable as you move further back towards where the engine 'column' thing (whatever it's called!) is located. Overall, I think they're excellent and sound vehicles.

(07 Sep 2013, 8:30 pm)aureolin Citaro bendies might be a bit of a shock mention to some, but I really do think these buses had potential. They've come up here and been given a hard time with unsuitable routes (Citylink specifically).

I agree about the bendies. They're nice vehicles to travel on and I like them on the X66, but I really don't think they're suited to the 'Citylink' services.
Edited 08 Sep 2013, 7:11 pm by BJ10VUS.
BJ10VUS
08 Sep 2013, 7:11 pm #24

(07 Sep 2013, 8:30 pm)aureolin I always thought riding on an OmniCity was something a little bit different. Stylish on both the inside and out.

I like the look of them, and some are lovely to travel on, especially with the legroom in most of the seats. However, some vibrate and rattle like mad - especially those used on the 9 - which is increasingly noticeable as you move further back towards where the engine 'column' thing (whatever it's called!) is located. Overall, I think they're excellent and sound vehicles.

(07 Sep 2013, 8:30 pm)aureolin Citaro bendies might be a bit of a shock mention to some, but I really do think these buses had potential. They've come up here and been given a hard time with unsuitable routes (Citylink specifically).

I agree about the bendies. They're nice vehicles to travel on and I like them on the X66, but I really don't think they're suited to the 'Citylink' services.

Dan

Site Administrator

08 Sep 2013, 7:37 pm #25
Anyone been on one of the Edinburgh - Dunfermline service 55 Omnilinks? They're just stunning.
The leather seats are actual leather too. Plug sockets, WiFi...
If the plug sockets were to work, I couldn't have pointed out a flaw.

Makes the Omnicity feel horrible. The Omnicity just can't compare to that level of luxury! Obviously they're not all kitted out like that though.
Would love to have a ride of the articulated version too.
Dan
08 Sep 2013, 7:37 pm #25

Anyone been on one of the Edinburgh - Dunfermline service 55 Omnilinks? They're just stunning.

Makes the Omnicity feel horrible. The Omnicity just can't compare to that level of luxury! Obviously they're not all kitted out like that though.

tyresmoke

08 Sep 2013, 10:04 pm #26
(08 Sep 2013, 7:37 pm)Daniel Anyone been on one of the Edinburgh - Dunfermline service 55 Omnilinks? They're just stunning.

Indeed they're not, the interior makes a massive difference. Try one of Centrebus Leeds' Omnicities for example...!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
08 Sep 2013, 10:04 pm #26

(08 Sep 2013, 7:37 pm)Daniel Anyone been on one of the Edinburgh - Dunfermline service 55 Omnilinks? They're just stunning.

Indeed they're not, the interior makes a massive difference. Try one of Centrebus Leeds' Omnicities for example...!

DanPicken

Banned

12 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm #27
(12 Jan 2015, 4:49 pm)MarcTheA4 Mine is in my signature. The hate still lies cold following her murder.

I agree it's so sad to see her parts stolen by her sisters. Sad
DanPicken
12 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm #27

(12 Jan 2015, 4:49 pm)MarcTheA4 Mine is in my signature. The hate still lies cold following her murder.

I agree it's so sad to see her parts stolen by her sisters. Sad

Andreos1

05 May 2015, 12:46 pm #28
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150413...bus-travel

Wonder if these changes influence our thoughts?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
05 May 2015, 12:46 pm #28

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150413...bus-travel

Wonder if these changes influence our thoughts?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

05 May 2015, 2:13 pm #29
It's always been the Leyland Atlantean for me. These are a dominate memory from childhood as they were regulars on the 21/22 which I used to get every week to my gran's. Also my dad and step-dad were drivers for the PTE/Busways.
AlexHunter1984
05 May 2015, 2:13 pm #29

It's always been the Leyland Atlantean for me. These are a dominate memory from childhood as they were regulars on the 21/22 which I used to get every week to my gran's. Also my dad and step-dad were drivers for the PTE/Busways.

Davie

Banned

17 Jun 2015, 1:36 pm #30
My favourites - Scania L94UB / Wright Solar,  Dennis Dart SPDs,  Dennis Tridents/East Lancs Lolyne, Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties palatine 2, Volvo Wright Renown*, Optare Spectras, Volvo Wright Gemini 2, Optare Deltas, Optare Sigmas, DAF Prestiges

Most hated Volvo Wright Renown **,   Dennis Dart MPDS, Volvo B7TL/ Plaxton President, Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Vykings, Optare Solo,  Scania Omnicities

*All excluding 5151 - 5171 former Oxford Renowns
** Only includes 5151-5171 former Oxford Renowns
Edited 17 Jun 2015, 2:08 pm by Davie.
Davie
17 Jun 2015, 1:36 pm #30

My favourites - Scania L94UB / Wright Solar,  Dennis Dart SPDs,  Dennis Tridents/East Lancs Lolyne, Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties palatine 2, Volvo Wright Renown*, Optare Spectras, Volvo Wright Gemini 2, Optare Deltas, Optare Sigmas, DAF Prestiges

Most hated Volvo Wright Renown **,   Dennis Dart MPDS, Volvo B7TL/ Plaxton President, Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Vykings, Optare Solo,  Scania Omnicities

*All excluding 5151 - 5171 former Oxford Renowns
** Only includes 5151-5171 former Oxford Renowns

Jimmi

17 Jun 2015, 5:09 pm #31
Seem as I have never really posted what buses I like and dislike...

Like.
Leyland Olympian*
Volvo Olympian*
Optare Delta
Optare Vectra
Leyland Atlantean
Dennis Dart (especially the step entrance examples Arriva got from the takeover of Stagecoach Darlington)
Scania Omnicity
Wright Pulsar
Volvo B9TL
Leyland Lynx

Dislike.
Plaxton Prestige (sorry Marcus )
Dennis Dart SPD
Mercedes Vario (especially the examples that Arriva had)
Fiat Bluebird (and any other bus like this)
Dennis Dart SLF / Plaxton Pointer 2 (ANE 1301-1315)

* Various bodies apply for Leyland and Volvo Olympian's.
Edited 17 Jun 2015, 5:16 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
17 Jun 2015, 5:09 pm #31

Seem as I have never really posted what buses I like and dislike...

Like.
Leyland Olympian*
Volvo Olympian*
Optare Delta
Optare Vectra
Leyland Atlantean
Dennis Dart (especially the step entrance examples Arriva got from the takeover of Stagecoach Darlington)
Scania Omnicity
Wright Pulsar
Volvo B9TL
Leyland Lynx

Dislike.
Plaxton Prestige (sorry Marcus )
Dennis Dart SPD
Mercedes Vario (especially the examples that Arriva had)
Fiat Bluebird (and any other bus like this)
Dennis Dart SLF / Plaxton Pointer 2 (ANE 1301-1315)

* Various bodies apply for Leyland and Volvo Olympian's.

mb134

17 Jun 2015, 5:52 pm #32
Never posted here either...

Favourite:

Volvo Olympian 
Leyland Olympian (7203/4/5- only ones I can remember)
Scania L113CRL East Lancs European 
Volvo B10BLE Wright Renown/ALX 300
Scania OmniCity
ADL Enviro400 (GENERALLY!!)  

Dislike:
Wright Streetlite 
MPD's 
VDL DB300 
Optare Metrorider
Mercedes Vario (Beaver 2)
mb134
17 Jun 2015, 5:52 pm #32

Never posted here either...

Favourite:

Volvo Olympian 
Leyland Olympian (7203/4/5- only ones I can remember)
Scania L113CRL East Lancs European 
Volvo B10BLE Wright Renown/ALX 300
Scania OmniCity
ADL Enviro400 (GENERALLY!!)  

Dislike:
Wright Streetlite 
MPD's 
VDL DB300 
Optare Metrorider
Mercedes Vario (Beaver 2)

28 Jul 2015, 1:54 pm #33
I just stumbled across this thread when browsing this section of the forum, I'll give my views on the buses used on our network. 

Least Favourite Modern Day Buses

- Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid: even though they are used on my local route, the ''Coast & Country'' 78, I fail to see the appeal in the Wright Streetlite. Despite the luxuries of plug sockets and free WiFi, which is a major attraction to the average customer who is commuting to/from work; from an enthusiast's perspective, they're a bit rubbish. They just feel very much like they're built as cheaply as possible, I could compare a Streetlite to a Renown and tell you the first one is made of the same material as a Barbie Doll, and the second is built using graphene. The noise of the engine decelerating is also incredibly annoying; it also feels like it lacks power. #bringbacktheb10s

- Wright Streetdeck/Wright Gemini 3: again, it's just two Streetlites slapped together and called a double decker. It lacks power, as does the Streetlite; when I had a ride on it from Newcastle to Chester-le-Street last week, it lacked power on some of the toughest stretches of the route. I wasn't keen on it at all, it just felt so cheap. It wouldn't last long on the X21, whereas it's opponent, the Enviro400MMC; stands a chance.

- Mini Pointer Darts: I've explained in the past that I'm not a fan of the MPDs. While I admit the examples in the red corporate livery look extremely smart, and the seating in the refurbished examples is great; the bus itself it's great. I find the engine has an irritating noise that I can't pinpoint, it can also be quite loud on some of them. They rattle dreadfully as well. Some of the ''East Durham'' routes can get busy from what I've seen, and the actual size of the bus isn't fantastic either. I know it is supposed to be a minibus, but it's a peak time crusher. I'd hate to be landed with an MPD for the 85/86 in Washington on the X1 out of Eldon Square during the evening rush hour. The lack of legroom in most areas of the interior is also a downside. 

Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity: they are just shit. 

''Meh'' Buses (not good, not bad)

- Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro: while I confess that in the past I've voiced my dislike for the Citaros, as I feel they are overrated, in recent weeks when I have been making trips on them, I admit they have started to grow on me. If you sit in the right place, you're in for a comfy ride. I'm quite fond of the seats on the very back row. The engine noise isn't bad either, I have to say. I'm not particularly fond of the 07-plate Citaros on the ''Blaydon Racers'' services, while I'm a huge fan of the examples on the ''Connections4''.

- Optare Versa V1110/Optare: I admit to being quite impressed with the space-like feeling of the Optare Versa body; they look very futuristic and it's always nice to see them. They certainly stand out when compared to some of the other buses you'll find in Gateshead Interchange, for example. Although, having said that, some of them aren't in the best condition now, I'm not 100% clued up on the registrations of the Versas but I think the oldest are NK09-plates? 

- VDL SB200/Wright Pulsar 2: I haven't travelled on enough of the Arriva Pulsars, despite the fleet being infested with them, to say I love them; but I've never had a bad journey on one to date. They always offer comfortable rides, and I'd say they're a nice vehicle to have as a standard fleet vehicle. Very smart on the exterior as well, I also think the seating in the ''MAX'' branded examples for the X12 is fantastic. 

- MAN 18.220LF/Alexander ALX300: once more, like with the Pulsar 2s, I have always viewed the ALX300s as being the Stagecoach fleet vehicle, since being a youngster. Although for a long time what I saw the main Arriva bus as, was the Plaxton Prestiges. I always saw them in Durham whenever I visited, and they were always found on the X2 (now X12). I've never been disappointed with a journey on one of these ALX300s. I just love the lights at the front, I think they're such a distinctive characteristic of the ALX300 body. Sadly, they seem to be fewer in number these days, with the Enviro300s seemingly becoming the most common Stagecoach vehicle. 

Buses that are now withdrawn

- DAF SB200/Optare Delta: I hope I got that vehicle title correct, I know they were on a DAF body and had an SBxxx number afterwards. I imagine there were different variations. I can recall the Deltas very well from when I was a young boy, with my grandad. They used to come through Pelton quite a bit, I think they would have been used on the 739/740 when I first started taking an interest in them. Fondly remember jumping on an Arriva Delta at the Black Horse in Chester-le-Street, for our first trip to Durham together. I can also recall how they sounded, spot on. Just like the ALX300s have the characteristic, when I was a young one, I used to think the front grills were a moustache. 

- DAF SB200GS/Plaxton Prestige: another one that I specifically remember from when I was younger, was the Plaxton Prestige. We used to get one back up to Pelton after going to Chester-le-Street, I'm going to guess they were on the 729 (Chester-le-Street to Stanley). I just loved the sound of their engines, the classic ZF gearbox. I always look forward to a ride on a Wright Solar on the ''Loop'' services, because I know the engines in those examples sound so similar. The noise of the engine is just so good. If anything, that is what I enjoyed most about them. My maths teacher, who commutes to work on the 28A from Kibblesworth to Birtley, then the 21 to Chester-le-Street from there, proclaimed that they belonged in Beamish. 

- Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 1: I've got some great memories of the R-LGH registration Palatine 1s that were used on the scholars services at my school. I recall two in particular; 3916 and 3917. One had the registration R274 LGH, I think it was 3916. Either way, that was the one I had the most. Then there was another with something like R556 LGH. I'm sure Chester-le-Street had three though. Looking back, it's just the memories of the funny times that were had on the 885 and 887 when I first started secondary education back in 2012. They were all withdrawn from Chester-le-Street by November; when 3821, 3822 and 3825 were transferred to replace them. I can't remember for the life of me what the third Palatine 1 was... I recall my last ride on one, I think it was 3917. I'd read on Go North East's Enthusiast Area (before I found the forum!) that they had all been ''delicenced''. That didn't stop a very shabby and scruffy looking 3917 coming out and doing either of those two scholars services the next evening. I'm gutted I didn't manage to ride 3910 or 3915 when they were briefly reinstated at Stanley in January 2013.

Favourite Modern Day Buses

- Scania L94UB/Wright Solar: take this one with a pinch of salt; I only mean certain examples. The Solars on the ''Loop'' 93/94 have a fantastic ZF gearbox that I just can't get enough of. I think those on the ''Highwayman'' services also have this particular sound. I need to have a long ride on the 97 between the MetroCentre and Gateshead soon. Aside from those batches, I think the Wright Solars are a bit like marmite. Some of them are definitely starting to show their age, and some are just worn out. At the risk of inviting people to pass a comment, the Solars on the ''Prince Bishops'' services really are at the end...

- Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2: overall, the B9TLs are just fantastic buses all around. The only examples that are starting to sound rough are those on the ''Tyne Tees Express'' services... Dear god...! I also loved how some of them have been really pimped out by Go North East, with some featuring plug sockets as well as free WiFi, not forgetting head cushions. They can also tackle very hard routes and manage them; Old Durham Road can be quite a nasty climb when heading to Washington or Sunderland from Gateshead on the X1 or 56 respectively. Also, the comfort of them is just great. 

- Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2: the Gemini 2s on the ''Angel'' 21 are in fine form still. I've used them all countless times over the past three years, and rarely encountered any problems. They still handle the route well, in my opinion. The Next Stop Announcements don't bother to be honest, they just blend in... My only gripe is when Karen says ''Next Stop; Chester-le-Street Black Horse Public House'', it sounds like ''Next Stop; Chezer-le-Street Black Horse Public House'' - it just irritates me so much. 

- Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 2: although I am sure many would class these as ''old'' buses now, seeing as Go North East still have 3814, 3818, 3819, 3822, 3830, 3831 and 3832 in their fleet at the moment, I'm going to count them as part of the ''modern'' day fleet. They are still in fine form, with the beastly Olympian engine just always doing the job. Still a pleasure to ride, although 3832 was a bit rough the last time I had it... My personal favourites are 3830 and 3831. 

.......and number one.......

- Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown: you probably saw this coming. Tongue I just love the Renowns so much. Like I've said time and time again, it's always very nostalgic to ride them, obviously as they were on the 775/778 when I was a young boy and going out with my grandad. Not only that; they're still going strong for buses of 15-17 years of age. The only B10BLEs I have a problem with are; 4843, 4904 and 4925. 4843 for just being an awful ride in general, 4904 for being too slow, and 4925 for being too similar to 4843. The engine noise combined with the smoothness is just great. I always look forward to a ride on a Wright Renown. I'd love to drive preserved 4855 one day, just to see what they're like to drive. I know nearly all drivers just love them for how smooth and capable they are. It's a Volvo/Wright combination at it's best.

Marcus
R852 PRG
28 Jul 2015, 1:54 pm #33

I just stumbled across this thread when browsing this section of the forum, I'll give my views on the buses used on our network. 

Least Favourite Modern Day Buses

- Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid: even though they are used on my local route, the ''Coast & Country'' 78, I fail to see the appeal in the Wright Streetlite. Despite the luxuries of plug sockets and free WiFi, which is a major attraction to the average customer who is commuting to/from work; from an enthusiast's perspective, they're a bit rubbish. They just feel very much like they're built as cheaply as possible, I could compare a Streetlite to a Renown and tell you the first one is made of the same material as a Barbie Doll, and the second is built using graphene. The noise of the engine decelerating is also incredibly annoying; it also feels like it lacks power. #bringbacktheb10s

- Wright Streetdeck/Wright Gemini 3: again, it's just two Streetlites slapped together and called a double decker. It lacks power, as does the Streetlite; when I had a ride on it from Newcastle to Chester-le-Street last week, it lacked power on some of the toughest stretches of the route. I wasn't keen on it at all, it just felt so cheap. It wouldn't last long on the X21, whereas it's opponent, the Enviro400MMC; stands a chance.

- Mini Pointer Darts: I've explained in the past that I'm not a fan of the MPDs. While I admit the examples in the red corporate livery look extremely smart, and the seating in the refurbished examples is great; the bus itself it's great. I find the engine has an irritating noise that I can't pinpoint, it can also be quite loud on some of them. They rattle dreadfully as well. Some of the ''East Durham'' routes can get busy from what I've seen, and the actual size of the bus isn't fantastic either. I know it is supposed to be a minibus, but it's a peak time crusher. I'd hate to be landed with an MPD for the 85/86 in Washington on the X1 out of Eldon Square during the evening rush hour. The lack of legroom in most areas of the interior is also a downside. 

Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity: they are just shit. 

''Meh'' Buses (not good, not bad)

- Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro: while I confess that in the past I've voiced my dislike for the Citaros, as I feel they are overrated, in recent weeks when I have been making trips on them, I admit they have started to grow on me. If you sit in the right place, you're in for a comfy ride. I'm quite fond of the seats on the very back row. The engine noise isn't bad either, I have to say. I'm not particularly fond of the 07-plate Citaros on the ''Blaydon Racers'' services, while I'm a huge fan of the examples on the ''Connections4''.

- Optare Versa V1110/Optare: I admit to being quite impressed with the space-like feeling of the Optare Versa body; they look very futuristic and it's always nice to see them. They certainly stand out when compared to some of the other buses you'll find in Gateshead Interchange, for example. Although, having said that, some of them aren't in the best condition now, I'm not 100% clued up on the registrations of the Versas but I think the oldest are NK09-plates? 

- VDL SB200/Wright Pulsar 2: I haven't travelled on enough of the Arriva Pulsars, despite the fleet being infested with them, to say I love them; but I've never had a bad journey on one to date. They always offer comfortable rides, and I'd say they're a nice vehicle to have as a standard fleet vehicle. Very smart on the exterior as well, I also think the seating in the ''MAX'' branded examples for the X12 is fantastic. 

- MAN 18.220LF/Alexander ALX300: once more, like with the Pulsar 2s, I have always viewed the ALX300s as being the Stagecoach fleet vehicle, since being a youngster. Although for a long time what I saw the main Arriva bus as, was the Plaxton Prestiges. I always saw them in Durham whenever I visited, and they were always found on the X2 (now X12). I've never been disappointed with a journey on one of these ALX300s. I just love the lights at the front, I think they're such a distinctive characteristic of the ALX300 body. Sadly, they seem to be fewer in number these days, with the Enviro300s seemingly becoming the most common Stagecoach vehicle. 

Buses that are now withdrawn

- DAF SB200/Optare Delta: I hope I got that vehicle title correct, I know they were on a DAF body and had an SBxxx number afterwards. I imagine there were different variations. I can recall the Deltas very well from when I was a young boy, with my grandad. They used to come through Pelton quite a bit, I think they would have been used on the 739/740 when I first started taking an interest in them. Fondly remember jumping on an Arriva Delta at the Black Horse in Chester-le-Street, for our first trip to Durham together. I can also recall how they sounded, spot on. Just like the ALX300s have the characteristic, when I was a young one, I used to think the front grills were a moustache. 

- DAF SB200GS/Plaxton Prestige: another one that I specifically remember from when I was younger, was the Plaxton Prestige. We used to get one back up to Pelton after going to Chester-le-Street, I'm going to guess they were on the 729 (Chester-le-Street to Stanley). I just loved the sound of their engines, the classic ZF gearbox. I always look forward to a ride on a Wright Solar on the ''Loop'' services, because I know the engines in those examples sound so similar. The noise of the engine is just so good. If anything, that is what I enjoyed most about them. My maths teacher, who commutes to work on the 28A from Kibblesworth to Birtley, then the 21 to Chester-le-Street from there, proclaimed that they belonged in Beamish. 

- Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 1: I've got some great memories of the R-LGH registration Palatine 1s that were used on the scholars services at my school. I recall two in particular; 3916 and 3917. One had the registration R274 LGH, I think it was 3916. Either way, that was the one I had the most. Then there was another with something like R556 LGH. I'm sure Chester-le-Street had three though. Looking back, it's just the memories of the funny times that were had on the 885 and 887 when I first started secondary education back in 2012. They were all withdrawn from Chester-le-Street by November; when 3821, 3822 and 3825 were transferred to replace them. I can't remember for the life of me what the third Palatine 1 was... I recall my last ride on one, I think it was 3917. I'd read on Go North East's Enthusiast Area (before I found the forum!) that they had all been ''delicenced''. That didn't stop a very shabby and scruffy looking 3917 coming out and doing either of those two scholars services the next evening. I'm gutted I didn't manage to ride 3910 or 3915 when they were briefly reinstated at Stanley in January 2013.

Favourite Modern Day Buses

- Scania L94UB/Wright Solar: take this one with a pinch of salt; I only mean certain examples. The Solars on the ''Loop'' 93/94 have a fantastic ZF gearbox that I just can't get enough of. I think those on the ''Highwayman'' services also have this particular sound. I need to have a long ride on the 97 between the MetroCentre and Gateshead soon. Aside from those batches, I think the Wright Solars are a bit like marmite. Some of them are definitely starting to show their age, and some are just worn out. At the risk of inviting people to pass a comment, the Solars on the ''Prince Bishops'' services really are at the end...

- Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2: overall, the B9TLs are just fantastic buses all around. The only examples that are starting to sound rough are those on the ''Tyne Tees Express'' services... Dear god...! I also loved how some of them have been really pimped out by Go North East, with some featuring plug sockets as well as free WiFi, not forgetting head cushions. They can also tackle very hard routes and manage them; Old Durham Road can be quite a nasty climb when heading to Washington or Sunderland from Gateshead on the X1 or 56 respectively. Also, the comfort of them is just great. 

- Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2: the Gemini 2s on the ''Angel'' 21 are in fine form still. I've used them all countless times over the past three years, and rarely encountered any problems. They still handle the route well, in my opinion. The Next Stop Announcements don't bother to be honest, they just blend in... My only gripe is when Karen says ''Next Stop; Chester-le-Street Black Horse Public House'', it sounds like ''Next Stop; Chezer-le-Street Black Horse Public House'' - it just irritates me so much. 

- Volvo Olympian/Northern Counties Palatine 2: although I am sure many would class these as ''old'' buses now, seeing as Go North East still have 3814, 3818, 3819, 3822, 3830, 3831 and 3832 in their fleet at the moment, I'm going to count them as part of the ''modern'' day fleet. They are still in fine form, with the beastly Olympian engine just always doing the job. Still a pleasure to ride, although 3832 was a bit rough the last time I had it... My personal favourites are 3830 and 3831. 

.......and number one.......

- Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown: you probably saw this coming. Tongue I just love the Renowns so much. Like I've said time and time again, it's always very nostalgic to ride them, obviously as they were on the 775/778 when I was a young boy and going out with my grandad. Not only that; they're still going strong for buses of 15-17 years of age. The only B10BLEs I have a problem with are; 4843, 4904 and 4925. 4843 for just being an awful ride in general, 4904 for being too slow, and 4925 for being too similar to 4843. The engine noise combined with the smoothness is just great. I always look forward to a ride on a Wright Renown. I'd love to drive preserved 4855 one day, just to see what they're like to drive. I know nearly all drivers just love them for how smooth and capable they are. It's a Volvo/Wright combination at it's best.

Marcus

tyresmoke

28 Jul 2015, 8:26 pm #34
Quite funny that you don't rate the Streetlites. I've found they're better as a passenger than they are as a driver... So imagine what we feel like! I've noticed they have an awful burning smell when pushed a bit though?!
Citaros are good fun when they're being abused, routes like the X7 are good for that.
I can see why you'd like Pulsars, even if they're a bit numerous now... We've got 130 in the NE fleet now I reckon!

It's crazy to think how many types I've driven in my (relatively short) career but I'd rate the B10BLEs highly! Not forgetting Olympians of course!

tyresmoke
28 Jul 2015, 8:26 pm #34

Quite funny that you don't rate the Streetlites. I've found they're better as a passenger than they are as a driver... So imagine what we feel like! I've noticed they have an awful burning smell when pushed a bit though?!
Citaros are good fun when they're being abused, routes like the X7 are good for that.
I can see why you'd like Pulsars, even if they're a bit numerous now... We've got 130 in the NE fleet now I reckon!

It's crazy to think how many types I've driven in my (relatively short) career but I'd rate the B10BLEs highly! Not forgetting Olympians of course!

Jimmi

28 Jul 2015, 8:42 pm #35
(28 Jul 2015, 8:26 pm)tyresmoke Quite funny that you don't rate the Streetlites. I've found they're better as a passenger than they are as a driver... So imagine what we feel like! I've noticed they have an awful burning smell when pushed a bit though?!

I actually don't mind some StreetLite's, I rode Dales & District's MX62GUG on service 70 Northallerton - Ripon on my Dales & District outing last week and I thought it performed pretty well on this route and it didn't rattle half as much as some examples I've been on. The only thing that really bugs me is when some examples rattle mainly the emergency exit door such the Red Kite example I rode on the 45 yesterday.

Citaro's are excellent performers especially on the X7, my only gripe with them is the interior as because of the large heaters down by the inside seats mainly on the lower deck is does highly limit the option of inside seats with legroom.

I actually quite like Pulsar's, I was quite pleased to see 1424 turn up on the 56 this morning as when it was at Darlington depot from December 2013 until December 2014 it was frequently allocated to service 7 on a board which with it's second journey of the day being the busy run to Framwellgate Moor which was heavily loaded with New College students (including myself) and if it wasn't on the 7 it was on the 5/5A. Was rather disappointed this example left Darlington as it was probably my personal favourite so it was nice to have a ride on it again this morning Smile
Jimmi
28 Jul 2015, 8:42 pm #35

(28 Jul 2015, 8:26 pm)tyresmoke Quite funny that you don't rate the Streetlites. I've found they're better as a passenger than they are as a driver... So imagine what we feel like! I've noticed they have an awful burning smell when pushed a bit though?!

I actually don't mind some StreetLite's, I rode Dales & District's MX62GUG on service 70 Northallerton - Ripon on my Dales & District outing last week and I thought it performed pretty well on this route and it didn't rattle half as much as some examples I've been on. The only thing that really bugs me is when some examples rattle mainly the emergency exit door such the Red Kite example I rode on the 45 yesterday.

Citaro's are excellent performers especially on the X7, my only gripe with them is the interior as because of the large heaters down by the inside seats mainly on the lower deck is does highly limit the option of inside seats with legroom.

I actually quite like Pulsar's, I was quite pleased to see 1424 turn up on the 56 this morning as when it was at Darlington depot from December 2013 until December 2014 it was frequently allocated to service 7 on a board which with it's second journey of the day being the busy run to Framwellgate Moor which was heavily loaded with New College students (including myself) and if it wasn't on the 7 it was on the 5/5A. Was rather disappointed this example left Darlington as it was probably my personal favourite so it was nice to have a ride on it again this morning Smile

tyresmoke

28 Jul 2015, 8:48 pm #36
(28 Jul 2015, 8:42 pm)Jimmi I actually don't mind some StreetLite's, I rode Dales & District's MX62GUG on service 70 Northallerton - Ripon on my Dales & District outing last week and I thought it performed pretty well on this route and it didn't rattle half as much as some examples I've been on. The only thing that really bugs me is when some examples rattle mainly the emergency exit door such the Red Kite example I rode on the 45 yesterday.

1424 is the only example in the fleet (as far as I know) to be fitted with hold gears. Can't wait to have a play with that one!

tyresmoke
28 Jul 2015, 8:48 pm #36

(28 Jul 2015, 8:42 pm)Jimmi I actually don't mind some StreetLite's, I rode Dales & District's MX62GUG on service 70 Northallerton - Ripon on my Dales & District outing last week and I thought it performed pretty well on this route and it didn't rattle half as much as some examples I've been on. The only thing that really bugs me is when some examples rattle mainly the emergency exit door such the Red Kite example I rode on the 45 yesterday.

1424 is the only example in the fleet (as far as I know) to be fitted with hold gears. Can't wait to have a play with that one!

Jimmi

28 Jul 2015, 8:53 pm #37
(28 Jul 2015, 8:48 pm)tyresmoke 1424 is the only example in the fleet (as far as I know) to be fitted with hold gears. Can't wait to have a play with that one!

It can be quite lively if you put your foot down, when the Durham Luminaire Festival was on in 2013 I had a ride on it home one night after being on a college trip to Birmingham and it was given an almighty thrashing on this journey

I hear it's the best example at Belmont.
Jimmi
28 Jul 2015, 8:53 pm #37

(28 Jul 2015, 8:48 pm)tyresmoke 1424 is the only example in the fleet (as far as I know) to be fitted with hold gears. Can't wait to have a play with that one!

It can be quite lively if you put your foot down, when the Durham Luminaire Festival was on in 2013 I had a ride on it home one night after being on a college trip to Birmingham and it was given an almighty thrashing on this journey

I hear it's the best example at Belmont.

Malarkey

28 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm #38

Think Marcus needs to get himself to Middlesbrough on an Explorer and tryout the Streetlites on the Sapphire Services to Guisborough which be a reasonable distance on the 5/5A, or he could get the X4 all the way down to Whitby, I reckon his opinion may change afterwards, I know mine certainly did.
Malarkey
28 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm #38

Think Marcus needs to get himself to Middlesbrough on an Explorer and tryout the Streetlites on the Sapphire Services to Guisborough which be a reasonable distance on the 5/5A, or he could get the X4 all the way down to Whitby, I reckon his opinion may change afterwards, I know mine certainly did.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Jul 2015, 5:58 am #39
(28 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm)Malarkey Think Marcus needs to get himself to Middlesbrough on an Explorer and tryout the Streetlites on the Sapphire Services to Guisborough which be a reasonable distance on the 5/5A, or he could get the X4 all the way down to Whitby, I reckon his opinion may change afterwards, I know mine certainly did.

Haha - Marcus would have a nose bleed venturing that far south by bus!
Dan
29 Jul 2015, 5:58 am #39

(28 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm)Malarkey Think Marcus needs to get himself to Middlesbrough on an Explorer and tryout the Streetlites on the Sapphire Services to Guisborough which be a reasonable distance on the 5/5A, or he could get the X4 all the way down to Whitby, I reckon his opinion may change afterwards, I know mine certainly did.

Haha - Marcus would have a nose bleed venturing that far south by bus!

BusLoverMum

29 Jul 2015, 9:31 am #40
The streetlites seem to be coping OK with the demands of the sapphire 22 route. The rattle gives you a headache, after a while, but it feels like a stable ride on the windy roads and we no longer see buses in need of some TLC after tackling silent bank which used to be a regular bus killer.
BusLoverMum
29 Jul 2015, 9:31 am #40

The streetlites seem to be coping OK with the demands of the sapphire 22 route. The rattle gives you a headache, after a while, but it feels like a stable ride on the windy roads and we no longer see buses in need of some TLC after tackling silent bank which used to be a regular bus killer.

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average