Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East School time duplicates

School time duplicates

School time duplicates

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

V514DFT

03 May 2021, 8:11 am #1
I was on a school time duplicate on Friday (30/4/21) with my son,and a woman sadly had to be denied getting on the bus,which leads me to a question,i know GNE number their school buses with 'S', so why dont Arriva do the same instead of putting a piece of paper in the window and having the destination show its normal route number and destination?

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
03 May 2021, 8:11 am #1

I was on a school time duplicate on Friday (30/4/21) with my son,and a woman sadly had to be denied getting on the bus,which leads me to a question,i know GNE number their school buses with 'S', so why dont Arriva do the same instead of putting a piece of paper in the window and having the destination show its normal route number and destination?

Kind Regards
Tez

GNE6312

03 May 2021, 8:22 am #2
(03 May 2021, 8:11 am)V514DFT I was on a school time duplicate on Friday (30/4/21) with my son,and a woman sadly had to be denied getting on the bus,which leads me to a question,i know GNE number their school buses with 'S', so why dont Arriva do the same instead of putting a piece of paper in the window and having the destination show its normal route number and destination?

Some drivers on the X7 dupe use the scholars service dest though not all drivers do and most don't
GNE6312
03 May 2021, 8:22 am #2

(03 May 2021, 8:11 am)V514DFT I was on a school time duplicate on Friday (30/4/21) with my son,and a woman sadly had to be denied getting on the bus,which leads me to a question,i know GNE number their school buses with 'S', so why dont Arriva do the same instead of putting a piece of paper in the window and having the destination show its normal route number and destination?

Some drivers on the X7 dupe use the scholars service dest though not all drivers do and most don't

V514DFT

03 May 2021, 9:04 am #3
It doesnt sit right with me tbh, it should be enforced as a MUST

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
03 May 2021, 9:04 am #3

It doesnt sit right with me tbh, it should be enforced as a MUST

Kind Regards
Tez

Storx

03 May 2021, 9:15 am #4

I believe it's because the GNE extras aren't actually duplicates and are actually registered as extra buses services. Arriva are just pure duplicates of a normal service.

Whatever the bus route is registered as has to go on the destination blind legally hence they can't use the S etc.

https://bustimes.org/services/21s-gatesh...-green-bir - There's the 21S for example.
Storx
03 May 2021, 9:15 am #4

I believe it's because the GNE extras aren't actually duplicates and are actually registered as extra buses services. Arriva are just pure duplicates of a normal service.

Whatever the bus route is registered as has to go on the destination blind legally hence they can't use the S etc.

https://bustimes.org/services/21s-gatesh...-green-bir - There's the 21S for example.

03 May 2021, 9:51 am #5
A question I've wanted to know. So the S43 passed me the other day and it was a Streetlite yet there was a decker behind it on a normal 43 service. Shouldn't it be the other way round.
Micheal Aaron
03 May 2021, 9:51 am #5

A question I've wanted to know. So the S43 passed me the other day and it was a Streetlite yet there was a decker behind it on a normal 43 service. Shouldn't it be the other way round.

GNE6312

03 May 2021, 10:08 am #6
(03 May 2021, 9:51 am)Micheal Aaron A question I've wanted to know. So the S43 passed me the other day and it was a Streetlite yet there was a decker behind it on a normal 43 service. Shouldn't it be the other way round.

The S43 might not require a decker
GNE6312
03 May 2021, 10:08 am #6

(03 May 2021, 9:51 am)Micheal Aaron A question I've wanted to know. So the S43 passed me the other day and it was a Streetlite yet there was a decker behind it on a normal 43 service. Shouldn't it be the other way round.

The S43 might not require a decker

Dan

Site Administrator

03 May 2021, 10:20 am #7
(03 May 2021, 9:51 am)Micheal Aaron A question I've wanted to know. So the S43 passed me the other day and it was a Streetlite yet there was a decker behind it on a normal 43 service. Shouldn't it be the other way round.

It’ll be school students only on the S43 (with no social distancing required) whereas both students and normal passengers can get on the normal 43 (where social distancing is required) - seems sensible to allocate the double-deck to the run where social distancing is required!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
03 May 2021, 10:20 am #7

(03 May 2021, 9:51 am)Micheal Aaron A question I've wanted to know. So the S43 passed me the other day and it was a Streetlite yet there was a decker behind it on a normal 43 service. Shouldn't it be the other way round.

It’ll be school students only on the S43 (with no social distancing required) whereas both students and normal passengers can get on the normal 43 (where social distancing is required) - seems sensible to allocate the double-deck to the run where social distancing is required!

03 May 2021, 10:25 am #8
Ah thanks. It just confused me
Micheal Aaron
03 May 2021, 10:25 am #8

Ah thanks. It just confused me

RobinHood

03 May 2021, 2:17 pm #9
Every school duplicate that Arriva run are still 'open door' (except for some S43 and S54 journeys in North Tyneside).

This is because Arriva don't have many DBS checked drivers (which you can't run a closed door service without a DBS check). This is why you don't see the 'S' prefix on most - infact none in Durham County.

Buses provided by GNE or Stanley Travel that run in tandem with Arriva journeys are closed door so they do run with the 'S' prefix.
RobinHood
03 May 2021, 2:17 pm #9

Every school duplicate that Arriva run are still 'open door' (except for some S43 and S54 journeys in North Tyneside).

This is because Arriva don't have many DBS checked drivers (which you can't run a closed door service without a DBS check). This is why you don't see the 'S' prefix on most - infact none in Durham County.

Buses provided by GNE or Stanley Travel that run in tandem with Arriva journeys are closed door so they do run with the 'S' prefix.

V514DFT

03 May 2021, 3:16 pm #10
Im guessing the 308 is the same as thats what i was on when that woman was denied access

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
03 May 2021, 3:16 pm #10

Im guessing the 308 is the same as thats what i was on when that woman was denied access

Kind Regards
Tez

GNE6312

03 May 2021, 3:32 pm #11
(03 May 2021, 2:17 pm)RobinHood Every school duplicate that Arriva run are still 'open door' (except for some S43 and S54 journeys in North Tyneside).

So why don't Arrova not give their duplicates to a company with DBS checked drivers.
GNE6312
03 May 2021, 3:32 pm #11

(03 May 2021, 2:17 pm)RobinHood Every school duplicate that Arriva run are still 'open door' (except for some S43 and S54 journeys in North Tyneside).

So why don't Arrova not give their duplicates to a company with DBS checked drivers.

morritt89

03 May 2021, 4:46 pm #12
The whole DBS varies on where a scholars service operates (I'm talking precovid here). When I was on a Nexus scholars contract a few years back all I needed was a DBS check which I needed when starting with GNE. However I know drive a County Durham scholars (the 4274) and for that I need an enhanced DBS check and also complete the Durham Council Safeguarding Course/Lecture. I then have a badge which I need to wear at all times and needs to be renewed every 3 years.

Yet when I was at Arriva, I didn't even have a DBS check when I started. I'm not sure if there is a cost associated with the DBS itself so maybe that's why Arriva don't do them but there's alot of paperwork and admin involved (especially if every driver gets done).
morritt89
03 May 2021, 4:46 pm #12

The whole DBS varies on where a scholars service operates (I'm talking precovid here). When I was on a Nexus scholars contract a few years back all I needed was a DBS check which I needed when starting with GNE. However I know drive a County Durham scholars (the 4274) and for that I need an enhanced DBS check and also complete the Durham Council Safeguarding Course/Lecture. I then have a badge which I need to wear at all times and needs to be renewed every 3 years.

Yet when I was at Arriva, I didn't even have a DBS check when I started. I'm not sure if there is a cost associated with the DBS itself so maybe that's why Arriva don't do them but there's alot of paperwork and admin involved (especially if every driver gets done).

Andreos1

03 May 2021, 5:27 pm #13
(03 May 2021, 4:46 pm)morritt89 The whole DBS varies on where a scholars service operates (I'm talking precovid here). When I was on a Nexus scholars contract a few years back all I needed was a DBS check which I needed when starting with GNE. However I know drive a County Durham scholars (the 4274) and for that I need an enhanced DBS check and also complete the Durham Council Safeguarding Course/Lecture. I then have a badge which I need to wear at all times and needs to be renewed every 3 years.

There's not that much paperwork in the grand scheme of things.
It can also be done online.
I cant remember the exact amounts for the different levels of clearance, but if going through an external agency (rather than direct) I'd imagine there would be some sort of admin fee. 
In addition, there is a 'renewal service', which costs about £13 a year. 

I am genuinely amazed that they don't insist on a DBS for all customer facing staff.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 May 2021, 5:27 pm #13

(03 May 2021, 4:46 pm)morritt89 The whole DBS varies on where a scholars service operates (I'm talking precovid here). When I was on a Nexus scholars contract a few years back all I needed was a DBS check which I needed when starting with GNE. However I know drive a County Durham scholars (the 4274) and for that I need an enhanced DBS check and also complete the Durham Council Safeguarding Course/Lecture. I then have a badge which I need to wear at all times and needs to be renewed every 3 years.

There's not that much paperwork in the grand scheme of things.
It can also be done online.
I cant remember the exact amounts for the different levels of clearance, but if going through an external agency (rather than direct) I'd imagine there would be some sort of admin fee. 
In addition, there is a 'renewal service', which costs about £13 a year. 

I am genuinely amazed that they don't insist on a DBS for all customer facing staff.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Rob44

04 May 2021, 10:54 am #14
you need a DBS check in some of the roles where I work. These used to be done by the employer with no cast to the employee but now the employee has to pay for it. You can either do this upfronyt after yourve been offered the job or they take it off your wages for 6 months. Not sure of the cost though
Rob44
04 May 2021, 10:54 am #14

you need a DBS check in some of the roles where I work. These used to be done by the employer with no cast to the employee but now the employee has to pay for it. You can either do this upfronyt after yourve been offered the job or they take it off your wages for 6 months. Not sure of the cost though

BusLoverMum

05 May 2021, 9:56 pm #15
I. Would have thought a dbs check would be mandatory for all bus drivers as any of them could potentially be alone with someone vulnerable, plus the small issue of carrying any stranger in a vehicle they have to remain safely in control of.
BusLoverMum
05 May 2021, 9:56 pm #15

I. Would have thought a dbs check would be mandatory for all bus drivers as any of them could potentially be alone with someone vulnerable, plus the small issue of carrying any stranger in a vehicle they have to remain safely in control of.

18 Jun 2021, 2:09 pm #16
S43 is still running
Micheal Aaron
18 Jun 2021, 2:09 pm #16

S43 is still running

ArrivaDriver2210

Unregistered

04 Jul 2021, 8:15 pm #17
(18 Jun 2021, 2:09 pm)Micheal Aaron S43 is still running
S54 is too, it's normally me or one other driver who operates them both (alternate weeks). Normally runs about 30 seconds to a minute in front of the service bus so the service bus doesn't get bombarded with schoolkids. They're the only 2 school duplicates that are operated in house. And yes, we have enhanced DBS badges and also badges from Northumberland County Council, the company paid for these and also pay for us to keep them up to date Smile

(03 May 2021, 10:20 am)Dan It’ll be school students only on the S43 (with no social distancing required) whereas both students and normal passengers can get on the normal 43 (where social distancing is required) - seems sensible to allocate the double-deck to the run where social distancing is required!

Exactly, the S54 and S43 are operated as closed school services with regular max capacity and no social distancing in operation, so only schoolchildren can use them. If a parent wishes to travel with their child they have to use the service bus that's normally about 30 seconds behind.
ArrivaDriver2210
04 Jul 2021, 8:15 pm #17

(18 Jun 2021, 2:09 pm)Micheal Aaron S43 is still running
S54 is too, it's normally me or one other driver who operates them both (alternate weeks). Normally runs about 30 seconds to a minute in front of the service bus so the service bus doesn't get bombarded with schoolkids. They're the only 2 school duplicates that are operated in house. And yes, we have enhanced DBS badges and also badges from Northumberland County Council, the company paid for these and also pay for us to keep them up to date Smile

(03 May 2021, 10:20 am)Dan It’ll be school students only on the S43 (with no social distancing required) whereas both students and normal passengers can get on the normal 43 (where social distancing is required) - seems sensible to allocate the double-deck to the run where social distancing is required!

Exactly, the S54 and S43 are operated as closed school services with regular max capacity and no social distancing in operation, so only schoolchildren can use them. If a parent wishes to travel with their child they have to use the service bus that's normally about 30 seconds behind.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average