Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East 2011 Versas

2011 Versas

2011 Versas

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

29 May 2021, 8:06 pm #1
Has anyone else been noticing that alot of the 2011 Optare Versas have been breaking down? I use the Q1/2 regularly and I have been in/saw many broken down Versas. I am also thinking that they should upgrade the QuayLink buses as it is quite a main service and honestly these Versas aren't good enough. I think they should get some Streetlites or Citaros.
transportintyneandwear
29 May 2021, 8:06 pm #1

Has anyone else been noticing that alot of the 2011 Optare Versas have been breaking down? I use the Q1/2 regularly and I have been in/saw many broken down Versas. I am also thinking that they should upgrade the QuayLink buses as it is quite a main service and honestly these Versas aren't good enough. I think they should get some Streetlites or Citaros.

Adrian

29 May 2021, 8:16 pm #2
(29 May 2021, 8:06 pm)transportintyneandwear Has anyone else been noticing that alot of the 2011 Optare Versas have been breaking down? I use the Q1/2 regularly and I have been in/saw many broken down Versas. I am also thinking that they should upgrade the QuayLink buses as it is quite a main service and honestly these Versas aren't good enough. I think they should get some Streetlites or Citaros.

Quaylink would have been a good contender for the ZEBRA scheme: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...terest.pdf

Deadline was last week, but unsure if Nexus have submitted anything in partnership with one of the operators.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 May 2021, 8:16 pm #2

(29 May 2021, 8:06 pm)transportintyneandwear Has anyone else been noticing that alot of the 2011 Optare Versas have been breaking down? I use the Q1/2 regularly and I have been in/saw many broken down Versas. I am also thinking that they should upgrade the QuayLink buses as it is quite a main service and honestly these Versas aren't good enough. I think they should get some Streetlites or Citaros.

Quaylink would have been a good contender for the ZEBRA scheme: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...terest.pdf

Deadline was last week, but unsure if Nexus have submitted anything in partnership with one of the operators.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

29 May 2021, 8:18 pm #3

The Q1/Q2 definitely need an upgrade. There have been a few breakdowns on a few services recently. Versas aren't on the Quaylink services at times, there have been Toonlink Scanias on Quaylink and QuayCity recently.

Fingers crossed Quaylink will get upgraded soon.
OrangeArrow49
29 May 2021, 8:18 pm #3

The Q1/Q2 definitely need an upgrade. There have been a few breakdowns on a few services recently. Versas aren't on the Quaylink services at times, there have been Toonlink Scanias on Quaylink and QuayCity recently.

Fingers crossed Quaylink will get upgraded soon.

29 May 2021, 8:44 pm #4
Tbh I'd personally like to see them upgrading to Citaros in the meantime till if gne would buy a batch of the new Scania Fencer F1 when they are available
Micheal Aaron
29 May 2021, 8:44 pm #4

Tbh I'd personally like to see them upgrading to Citaros in the meantime till if gne would buy a batch of the new Scania Fencer F1 when they are available

Jimmi

29 May 2021, 8:57 pm #5
I think it just looks like there's more of a absence of Versas with two of them being instead deployed onto the Metro Shuttle Vaccination service (although now no longer required).

I do question if plans are in the works for allocation changes and/or brand refresh for the Q1/Q2 considering them two Versas were chosen for the Metro Shuttle.
Jimmi
29 May 2021, 8:57 pm #5

I think it just looks like there's more of a absence of Versas with two of them being instead deployed onto the Metro Shuttle Vaccination service (although now no longer required).

I do question if plans are in the works for allocation changes and/or brand refresh for the Q1/Q2 considering them two Versas were chosen for the Metro Shuttle.

29 May 2021, 8:58 pm #6
(29 May 2021, 8:57 pm)Jimmi I think it just looks like there's more of a absence of Versas with two of them being instead deployed onto the Metro Shuttle Vaccination service (although now no longer required).

I've noticed them two plus another one haven't been seen since the 8th of May. I saw one.of the metro shuttle buses still branded at Saltmedows on Tuesday as one of the shutters was open
Micheal Aaron
29 May 2021, 8:58 pm #6

(29 May 2021, 8:57 pm)Jimmi I think it just looks like there's more of a absence of Versas with two of them being instead deployed onto the Metro Shuttle Vaccination service (although now no longer required).

I've noticed them two plus another one haven't been seen since the 8th of May. I saw one.of the metro shuttle buses still branded at Saltmedows on Tuesday as one of the shutters was open

29 May 2021, 9:33 pm #7
Wonder if we see an East Gateshead Orbit appear.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
29 May 2021, 9:33 pm #7

Wonder if we see an East Gateshead Orbit appear.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Malarkey

29 May 2021, 10:06 pm #8
Their certainly quite a few corporate versas allocated daily and this been the case for a few months now with odd rare allocation thrown in also, today was a Toon Link Omnicity.

I'd certainly say those Versas need replacing after 10 years Orbiting/Quaylinking.
Malarkey
29 May 2021, 10:06 pm #8

Their certainly quite a few corporate versas allocated daily and this been the case for a few months now with odd rare allocation thrown in also, today was a Toon Link Omnicity.

I'd certainly say those Versas need replacing after 10 years Orbiting/Quaylinking.

ne14ne1

30 May 2021, 5:58 am #9
(29 May 2021, 9:33 pm)Rapidsnap Wonder if we see an East Gateshead Orbit appear.

I think the Quaylink name should remain, it says what it does on the tin - a link to the Quays. And what with the new NGQ Arena & Conference Centre being built, Quaylink is surely the most suitable name. You can imagine arena-goers in East Gateshead (or those turning up in Central Newcastle or Gateshead Interchange not wanting to walk down to the arena) seeing the Quaylink and thinking ah we can jump on that.

I wonder if once the arena is up and running Quaylink could justify double deckers (with dual doors). Although I don’t know if single decks are better for the steep hills at Hillgate Quay & Dean Street?
ne14ne1
30 May 2021, 5:58 am #9

(29 May 2021, 9:33 pm)Rapidsnap Wonder if we see an East Gateshead Orbit appear.

I think the Quaylink name should remain, it says what it does on the tin - a link to the Quays. And what with the new NGQ Arena & Conference Centre being built, Quaylink is surely the most suitable name. You can imagine arena-goers in East Gateshead (or those turning up in Central Newcastle or Gateshead Interchange not wanting to walk down to the arena) seeing the Quaylink and thinking ah we can jump on that.

I wonder if once the arena is up and running Quaylink could justify double deckers (with dual doors). Although I don’t know if single decks are better for the steep hills at Hillgate Quay & Dean Street?

Storx

30 May 2021, 7:58 am #10
(29 May 2021, 10:06 pm)Malarkey Their certainly quite a few corporate versas allocated daily and this been the case for a few months now with odd rare allocation thrown in also, today was a Toon Link Omnicity.

There's not enough buses for there not to be corporates on. They repainted some of the Q1/Q2 Quaylinks at the same time they moved the Q3 ones about. Plus there's 2 repainted for the NHS Shuttle.

(30 May 2021, 5:58 am)ne14ne1 I think the Quaylink name should remain, it says what it does on the tin - a link to the Quays. And what with the new NGQ Arena & Conference Centre being built, Quaylink is surely the most suitable name. You can imagine arena-goers in East Gateshead (or those turning up in Central Newcastle or Gateshead Interchange not wanting to walk down to the arena) seeing the Quaylink and thinking ah we can jump on that.

Most concerts start at roughly 8pm and the last bus is 18.10 so it's not much use really. It definitely doesn't warrant deckers, very very few people after the concert will be thinking about using a short bus to another bus as it's just not something you do (experience) because it'll be heavily delayed and take twice as long because of it being stuck with traffic/people from the gig
Storx
30 May 2021, 7:58 am #10

(29 May 2021, 10:06 pm)Malarkey Their certainly quite a few corporate versas allocated daily and this been the case for a few months now with odd rare allocation thrown in also, today was a Toon Link Omnicity.

There's not enough buses for there not to be corporates on. They repainted some of the Q1/Q2 Quaylinks at the same time they moved the Q3 ones about. Plus there's 2 repainted for the NHS Shuttle.

(30 May 2021, 5:58 am)ne14ne1 I think the Quaylink name should remain, it says what it does on the tin - a link to the Quays. And what with the new NGQ Arena & Conference Centre being built, Quaylink is surely the most suitable name. You can imagine arena-goers in East Gateshead (or those turning up in Central Newcastle or Gateshead Interchange not wanting to walk down to the arena) seeing the Quaylink and thinking ah we can jump on that.

Most concerts start at roughly 8pm and the last bus is 18.10 so it's not much use really. It definitely doesn't warrant deckers, very very few people after the concert will be thinking about using a short bus to another bus as it's just not something you do (experience) because it'll be heavily delayed and take twice as long because of it being stuck with traffic/people from the gig

GNE6312

30 May 2021, 9:40 am #11

Maybe GNE could trial night buses or just even later buses on the Q1/2 and if the demand is there on other routes around the Newcastle Gateshead area too when the arena is up and running
GNE6312
30 May 2021, 9:40 am #11

Maybe GNE could trial night buses or just even later buses on the Q1/2 and if the demand is there on other routes around the Newcastle Gateshead area too when the arena is up and running

Storx

30 May 2021, 10:02 am #12
(30 May 2021, 9:40 am)GNE6312 Maybe GNE could trial night buses or just even later buses on the Q1/2 and if the demand is there on other routes around the Newcastle Gateshead area too when the arena is up and running

Be better to run later buses on the Q3 and 93/94 imo. People going to Newcastle are likely to walk straight across the Millenium Bridge from where the arena is and past the Q3 stop rather and people walking towards Gateshead are likely to pass the 93/94 stops. At least they serve more places.

This is controversial but I hope the Q1/Q2 doesn't serve down there anymore because South Shore Road is fully pedestrianised bar access to the Navy place. It'd be much better to have a massive open square outside the arena for meeting people etc rather than a road for 4 buses an hour which cart around fresh air most of the time. There's places for roads, directly outside of arenas isn't one (ram raiding).
Storx
30 May 2021, 10:02 am #12

(30 May 2021, 9:40 am)GNE6312 Maybe GNE could trial night buses or just even later buses on the Q1/2 and if the demand is there on other routes around the Newcastle Gateshead area too when the arena is up and running

Be better to run later buses on the Q3 and 93/94 imo. People going to Newcastle are likely to walk straight across the Millenium Bridge from where the arena is and past the Q3 stop rather and people walking towards Gateshead are likely to pass the 93/94 stops. At least they serve more places.

This is controversial but I hope the Q1/Q2 doesn't serve down there anymore because South Shore Road is fully pedestrianised bar access to the Navy place. It'd be much better to have a massive open square outside the arena for meeting people etc rather than a road for 4 buses an hour which cart around fresh air most of the time. There's places for roads, directly outside of arenas isn't one (ram raiding).

ne14ne1

30 May 2021, 10:41 am #13
(30 May 2021, 7:58 am)Storx Most concerts start at roughly 8pm and the last bus is 18.10 so it's not much use really. It definitely doesn't warrant deckers, very very few people after the concert will be thinking about using a short bus to another bus as it's just not something you do (experience) because it'll be heavily delayed and take twice as long because of it being stuck with traffic/people from the gig

There’ll be a transport plan developed between the council and arena operators. 
We know a new multi storey car park is being built in the Baltic Quarter, but most will be encouraged to use use public transport or park somewhere and walk the last stretch to the arena. 
There’s even been speculation of a new Gateshead station being built to serve the town centre and quays. If not many people may still arrive into Central Station and wish to make a connection to get to the arena if they don’t wish to walk or if it’s cold or raining etc,
No doubt road alterations will be made and hopefully bus priority measures included. 
Shuttle services may run to Gateshead Interchange and Central Station/Newcastle City Centre during events. 
Who knows what service increases/later running and bigger buses Quaylink may justify in the next few years once the arena, new restaurants and hotels all come online.
ne14ne1
30 May 2021, 10:41 am #13

(30 May 2021, 7:58 am)Storx Most concerts start at roughly 8pm and the last bus is 18.10 so it's not much use really. It definitely doesn't warrant deckers, very very few people after the concert will be thinking about using a short bus to another bus as it's just not something you do (experience) because it'll be heavily delayed and take twice as long because of it being stuck with traffic/people from the gig

There’ll be a transport plan developed between the council and arena operators. 
We know a new multi storey car park is being built in the Baltic Quarter, but most will be encouraged to use use public transport or park somewhere and walk the last stretch to the arena. 
There’s even been speculation of a new Gateshead station being built to serve the town centre and quays. If not many people may still arrive into Central Station and wish to make a connection to get to the arena if they don’t wish to walk or if it’s cold or raining etc,
No doubt road alterations will be made and hopefully bus priority measures included. 
Shuttle services may run to Gateshead Interchange and Central Station/Newcastle City Centre during events. 
Who knows what service increases/later running and bigger buses Quaylink may justify in the next few years once the arena, new restaurants and hotels all come online.

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average