Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Vehicle Suggestions

Vehicle Suggestions

Vehicle Suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LVK 404L

07 Jun 2021, 3:36 pm #20
(07 Jun 2021, 2:02 pm)6049 The links you have mentioned are infrequent and run by two different operators - the latter meaning unless you get a Day Rover, you will have to pay two separate fares (unless GCT accept South Tyneside SmartZone which I suspect they don't). Off the top of my head, the 30 runs once every two hours and the 558 is hourly, with a number of early morning journeys not running through Fellgate, not to mention only serving one side of the estate.

Even the point about the Metro runs into difficulties in that it is not free for the elderly (token payment I accept to use it for the year), the change to the 9 would have to occur in Boldon for 558 users as there isn't a stop prior to that where they meet or they face a hike over to Calf Close which for anyone with walking difficulties may be too much.

I agree there's room for improvement, but given the links the 5 provides, I can't see it going anywhere or being changed. Especially as the whole drive at the moment is to make public transport more accessible.

On a side note, the 50 works half hourly as it interworks with the 5. The 5 is generally not the busiest of buses, but the 50 is. Quite a few departures from Durham have students packing the Omnicities out. They've changed it to serve Nissan all day now, and naturally it's the direct link for anyone in the Chester-Le-Street area for a day out at the seaside. Weekend's on the 50 in the Summer can be standing room only by the time it gets to Washington. Hence why Sunday allocations used to be Red Arrow B9s. The same argument could be used with the 26 and 27. 27 warrants a decker, the 26 generally won't. I'd argue that converting the 50 and 5 to DD wouldn't be a bad idea when suitable deckers are available. The Angels are a few years old now, maybe they'll be upgraded about the same time as the Omnicities are ready to expire and they come over to the 50 and 5?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Now if they did convert both routes to DD that would be ideal and I'm more than happy with ideal.  I only put forward my ideas when the other member raised the issue that minibuses would be suffice on the 5 as opposed to the decker on the 50.   But if they did do away with the interlocking and make them standalone then what would need to be considered is the capacity requirements once more.
LVK 404L
07 Jun 2021, 3:36 pm #20

(07 Jun 2021, 2:02 pm)6049 The links you have mentioned are infrequent and run by two different operators - the latter meaning unless you get a Day Rover, you will have to pay two separate fares (unless GCT accept South Tyneside SmartZone which I suspect they don't). Off the top of my head, the 30 runs once every two hours and the 558 is hourly, with a number of early morning journeys not running through Fellgate, not to mention only serving one side of the estate.

Even the point about the Metro runs into difficulties in that it is not free for the elderly (token payment I accept to use it for the year), the change to the 9 would have to occur in Boldon for 558 users as there isn't a stop prior to that where they meet or they face a hike over to Calf Close which for anyone with walking difficulties may be too much.

I agree there's room for improvement, but given the links the 5 provides, I can't see it going anywhere or being changed. Especially as the whole drive at the moment is to make public transport more accessible.

On a side note, the 50 works half hourly as it interworks with the 5. The 5 is generally not the busiest of buses, but the 50 is. Quite a few departures from Durham have students packing the Omnicities out. They've changed it to serve Nissan all day now, and naturally it's the direct link for anyone in the Chester-Le-Street area for a day out at the seaside. Weekend's on the 50 in the Summer can be standing room only by the time it gets to Washington. Hence why Sunday allocations used to be Red Arrow B9s. The same argument could be used with the 26 and 27. 27 warrants a decker, the 26 generally won't. I'd argue that converting the 50 and 5 to DD wouldn't be a bad idea when suitable deckers are available. The Angels are a few years old now, maybe they'll be upgraded about the same time as the Omnicities are ready to expire and they come over to the 50 and 5?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Now if they did convert both routes to DD that would be ideal and I'm more than happy with ideal.  I only put forward my ideas when the other member raised the issue that minibuses would be suffice on the 5 as opposed to the decker on the 50.   But if they did do away with the interlocking and make them standalone then what would need to be considered is the capacity requirements once more.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Vehicle Suggestions - by transportintyneandwear - 05 Jun 2021, 9:24 pm
RE: Vehicle Suggestions - by 6049 - 05 Jun 2021, 10:11 pm
RE: Vehicle Suggestions - by V514DFT - 06 Jun 2021, 7:44 am
RE: Vehicle Suggestions - by Micheal Aaron - 06 Jun 2021, 8:27 am
RE: Vehicle Suggestions - by Ds1197 - 06 Jun 2021, 8:42 am
RE: Vehicle Suggestions - by LVK 404L - 06 Jun 2021, 8:58 am
RE: Vehicle Suggestions - by deanmachine - 06 Jun 2021, 11:41 am
RE: Vehicle Suggestions - by LVK 404L - 06 Jun 2021, 3:15 pm
RE: Vehicle Suggestions - by Storx - 06 Jun 2021, 3:41 pm
RE: Vehicle Suggestions - by LVK 404L - 06 Jun 2021, 5:26 pm