Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East respond after bus drivers hit out over pay rise

Go North East respond after bus drivers hit out over pay rise

Go North East respond after bus drivers hit out over pay rise

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (7) Previous 15 6 7 Next
Adrian

24 Sep 2021, 8:42 pm #101
(24 Sep 2021, 8:28 pm)Driver9*** £35k a year? Aye, if you work 70 hours a week!

I have to admit, even at £10 an hour, I could get close to the calculation of 35k at an average of 67.5 hours per week over the year. That's not taking into account any overtime rates, extra for certain days or whatever, but I think those hours are probably still legal within the GB driving rules and rest time.

It's a bit of an odd sell though. Encouraging people to work themselves into the ground for a 35k salary.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
24 Sep 2021, 8:42 pm #101

(24 Sep 2021, 8:28 pm)Driver9*** £35k a year? Aye, if you work 70 hours a week!

I have to admit, even at £10 an hour, I could get close to the calculation of 35k at an average of 67.5 hours per week over the year. That's not taking into account any overtime rates, extra for certain days or whatever, but I think those hours are probably still legal within the GB driving rules and rest time.

It's a bit of an odd sell though. Encouraging people to work themselves into the ground for a 35k salary.

Ambassador

24 Sep 2021, 8:46 pm #102
(24 Sep 2021, 8:32 pm)Adrian Thanks, I thought it would be something like that... so the 21k advertised being based on average hours, rather than a set amount per week.

Pretty standard practice in service industry these days, even Greggs do it, quoting the possible profit share as part of your salary. 

looks great on paper but not that great in reality…a bit like X Lines  Big Grin

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
24 Sep 2021, 8:46 pm #102

(24 Sep 2021, 8:32 pm)Adrian Thanks, I thought it would be something like that... so the 21k advertised being based on average hours, rather than a set amount per week.

Pretty standard practice in service industry these days, even Greggs do it, quoting the possible profit share as part of your salary. 

looks great on paper but not that great in reality…a bit like X Lines  Big Grin

24 Sep 2021, 8:58 pm #103
(24 Sep 2021, 8:42 pm)Adrian I have to admit, even at £10 an hour, I could get close to the calculation of 35k at an average of 67.5 hours per week over the year. That's not taking into account any overtime rates, extra for certain days or whatever, but I think those hours are probably still legal within the GB driving rules and rest time.

This thread has certainly opened my eyes like. I'm on the top rate at Arriva which equates to just under 25k a year and I thought I was hard done by!
Driver9***
24 Sep 2021, 8:58 pm #103

(24 Sep 2021, 8:42 pm)Adrian I have to admit, even at £10 an hour, I could get close to the calculation of 35k at an average of 67.5 hours per week over the year. That's not taking into account any overtime rates, extra for certain days or whatever, but I think those hours are probably still legal within the GB driving rules and rest time.

This thread has certainly opened my eyes like. I'm on the top rate at Arriva which equates to just under 25k a year and I thought I was hard done by!

Ambassador

24 Sep 2021, 9:17 pm #104
(24 Sep 2021, 8:58 pm)Driver9*** This thread has certainly opened my eyes like. I'm on the top rate at Arriva which equates to just under 25k a year and I thought I was hard done by!

£25k a year is probably the median North East wage, pretty decent for entry level work tbh. Higher wage than a probation officer starting salary!

Ambassador
24 Sep 2021, 9:17 pm #104

(24 Sep 2021, 8:58 pm)Driver9*** This thread has certainly opened my eyes like. I'm on the top rate at Arriva which equates to just under 25k a year and I thought I was hard done by!

£25k a year is probably the median North East wage, pretty decent for entry level work tbh. Higher wage than a probation officer starting salary!

24 Sep 2021, 9:37 pm #105
(24 Sep 2021, 9:17 pm)Ambassador £25k a year is probably the median North East wage, pretty decent for entry level work tbh. Higher wage than a probation officer starting salary!
I'm sorry like but bus driving is hardly "entry level" work is it? Cleaning, manual labour or stacking shelves in shops are examples of that. I'd say bus driving is semi-skilled.
Driver9***
24 Sep 2021, 9:37 pm #105

(24 Sep 2021, 9:17 pm)Ambassador £25k a year is probably the median North East wage, pretty decent for entry level work tbh. Higher wage than a probation officer starting salary!
I'm sorry like but bus driving is hardly "entry level" work is it? Cleaning, manual labour or stacking shelves in shops are examples of that. I'd say bus driving is semi-skilled.

Adrian

24 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm #106
(24 Sep 2021, 9:37 pm)Driver9*** I'm sorry like but bus driving is hardly "entry level" work is it? Cleaning, manual labour or stacking shelves in shops are examples of that. I'd say bus driving is semi-skilled.

By definition of entry-level work. it probably is, because it requires minimal professional work experience to join, and there's potential to use the experience to move into management or other operational roles within the industry. That's not knocking the skill (and patience!) required to do the job, but it's something that can be trained to new starters as part of the process of getting them qualified as a bus driver. You're generally not recruiting people based on having 10 years of industry experience. 

IMO it's no different to graduates joining the NHS as project assistants or whatever, and then working their way up the grading structure, gaining their experience along the way.

Adrian
24 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm #106

(24 Sep 2021, 9:37 pm)Driver9*** I'm sorry like but bus driving is hardly "entry level" work is it? Cleaning, manual labour or stacking shelves in shops are examples of that. I'd say bus driving is semi-skilled.

By definition of entry-level work. it probably is, because it requires minimal professional work experience to join, and there's potential to use the experience to move into management or other operational roles within the industry. That's not knocking the skill (and patience!) required to do the job, but it's something that can be trained to new starters as part of the process of getting them qualified as a bus driver. You're generally not recruiting people based on having 10 years of industry experience. 

IMO it's no different to graduates joining the NHS as project assistants or whatever, and then working their way up the grading structure, gaining their experience along the way.

24 Sep 2021, 10:07 pm #107
(24 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm)Adrian By definition of entry-level work. it probably is, because it requires minimal professional work experience to join, and there's potential to use the experience to move into management or other operational roles within the industry. That's not knocking the skill (and patience!) required to do the job, but it's something that can be trained to new starters as part of the process of getting them qualified as a bus driver. You're generally not recruiting people based on having 10 years of industry experience. 

So how many other entry level jobs require you to undertake training to pass a test that costs around £2000 and has to be repayed to the employer if you leave the job within the first two years?

I'm not surprised at non bus drivers like Ambassador putting down the job we do, but disappointed at someone like yourself who has actually done it (I assume).
Driver9***
24 Sep 2021, 10:07 pm #107

(24 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm)Adrian By definition of entry-level work. it probably is, because it requires minimal professional work experience to join, and there's potential to use the experience to move into management or other operational roles within the industry. That's not knocking the skill (and patience!) required to do the job, but it's something that can be trained to new starters as part of the process of getting them qualified as a bus driver. You're generally not recruiting people based on having 10 years of industry experience. 

So how many other entry level jobs require you to undertake training to pass a test that costs around £2000 and has to be repayed to the employer if you leave the job within the first two years?

I'm not surprised at non bus drivers like Ambassador putting down the job we do, but disappointed at someone like yourself who has actually done it (I assume).

Adrian

24 Sep 2021, 10:26 pm #108
(24 Sep 2021, 10:07 pm)Driver9*** So how many other entry level jobs require you to undertake training to pass a test that costs around £2000 and has to be repayed to the employer if you leave the job within the first two years?

I'm not putting down the job, which is why I made that clear in the post, but please look up the definition! Entry-level isn't the same as unskilled/manual.

Every job is as important as the next in my opinion, which is why I'd never put a job down. If those stacking shelves in supermarkets, as you referred to above, didn't exist, then no one would be able to go to a shop and buy any food. Much the same as someone who refills coffee machines, which we all tend to make use of in a workplace.

As a reference to your point about training costs. There are plenty of graduate jobs right across the UK that are entry-level, yet the cost of achieving a degree is up to £28,000 (over 3 years) in University fees alone. Whilst I've personally never worked in the transport industry, I've taken qualifications and training at the employer's expense on a similar basis, where I'd be liable to pay back a percentage of the cost if I left (of my own will) within 18 months of being qualified. I think that's pretty standard with externally assessed training/qualifications, otherwise people would use certain employers as a stepping-stone to pay their fees.

Adrian
24 Sep 2021, 10:26 pm #108

(24 Sep 2021, 10:07 pm)Driver9*** So how many other entry level jobs require you to undertake training to pass a test that costs around £2000 and has to be repayed to the employer if you leave the job within the first two years?

I'm not putting down the job, which is why I made that clear in the post, but please look up the definition! Entry-level isn't the same as unskilled/manual.

Every job is as important as the next in my opinion, which is why I'd never put a job down. If those stacking shelves in supermarkets, as you referred to above, didn't exist, then no one would be able to go to a shop and buy any food. Much the same as someone who refills coffee machines, which we all tend to make use of in a workplace.

As a reference to your point about training costs. There are plenty of graduate jobs right across the UK that are entry-level, yet the cost of achieving a degree is up to £28,000 (over 3 years) in University fees alone. Whilst I've personally never worked in the transport industry, I've taken qualifications and training at the employer's expense on a similar basis, where I'd be liable to pay back a percentage of the cost if I left (of my own will) within 18 months of being qualified. I think that's pretty standard with externally assessed training/qualifications, otherwise people would use certain employers as a stepping-stone to pay their fees.

Ambassador

24 Sep 2021, 11:07 pm #109

Adrian has explained better but it literally is, hence the severe shortage of people willing to do it or current roles growing and progressing into new roles (HGV jobs for example). Greggs pay more than Go North East, most fast food places do. Which probably explains the attrition rate in driving at the moment.

It’s not a intended as a knock but £25k (for the North East) is a pretty decent wage when the average primary school teacher in the region is on £25.5k (dread to think the level of debt they rack up to get that versus a relatively cheap £2k training cost)

Ambassador
24 Sep 2021, 11:07 pm #109

Adrian has explained better but it literally is, hence the severe shortage of people willing to do it or current roles growing and progressing into new roles (HGV jobs for example). Greggs pay more than Go North East, most fast food places do. Which probably explains the attrition rate in driving at the moment.

It’s not a intended as a knock but £25k (for the North East) is a pretty decent wage when the average primary school teacher in the region is on £25.5k (dread to think the level of debt they rack up to get that versus a relatively cheap £2k training cost)

25 Sep 2021, 9:04 pm #110
Fair enough regarding the fact graduates have to pay back student loans, but only if they earn over a certain amount and the ceiling on their earnings is far higher than a bus drivers.
Driver9***
25 Sep 2021, 9:04 pm #110

Fair enough regarding the fact graduates have to pay back student loans, but only if they earn over a certain amount and the ceiling on their earnings is far higher than a bus drivers.

30 Sep 2021, 3:25 pm #111
Any news on what happened then? They're advertising a starting rate of £21k a year now which equates to £10/hr so I assume it's been resolved?
Driver9***
30 Sep 2021, 3:25 pm #111

Any news on what happened then? They're advertising a starting rate of £21k a year now which equates to £10/hr so I assume it's been resolved?

Keeiajs

19 Oct 2021, 4:20 pm #112
Apparently GNE drivers aren't going on strike, but are refusing to work over time/extra shifts.
Keeiajs
19 Oct 2021, 4:20 pm #112

Apparently GNE drivers aren't going on strike, but are refusing to work over time/extra shifts.

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Oct 2021, 4:21 pm #113
(19 Oct 2021, 4:20 pm)Keeiajs Apparently GNE drivers aren't going on strike, but are refusing to work over time/extra shifts.

Wrong.
Dan
19 Oct 2021, 4:21 pm #113

(19 Oct 2021, 4:20 pm)Keeiajs Apparently GNE drivers aren't going on strike, but are refusing to work over time/extra shifts.

Wrong.

MurdnunoC

19 Oct 2021, 4:22 pm #114
(19 Oct 2021, 4:21 pm)Dan Wrong.

You can do better than that!!!
MurdnunoC
19 Oct 2021, 4:22 pm #114

You can do better than that!!!

Keeiajs

19 Oct 2021, 4:24 pm #115
I mean I hope that is what GNE is hoping for instead of a proper strike.
Keeiajs
19 Oct 2021, 4:24 pm #115

I mean I hope that is what GNE is hoping for instead of a proper strike.

19 Oct 2021, 6:09 pm #116
It's such a shame that the UK no longer has a freedom of movement agreement with the EU.

In Poland, the pay and conditions of Srriva North East have improved to the point where drivers are receiving approximately a week's wage for a just a few hours work. Some drivers relish the chance to spend more time with their family, friends, and loved ones, however there are stories of some drivers who are restless because they now have too much time on their hands. Some of more restless drivers would love to come and work in the UK, breaking strike action for a fraction of what they are paid in Poland. It's just a pity they are no longer legally entitled to do so.
Clifton Hignett III
19 Oct 2021, 6:09 pm #116

It's such a shame that the UK no longer has a freedom of movement agreement with the EU.

In Poland, the pay and conditions of Srriva North East have improved to the point where drivers are receiving approximately a week's wage for a just a few hours work. Some drivers relish the chance to spend more time with their family, friends, and loved ones, however there are stories of some drivers who are restless because they now have too much time on their hands. Some of more restless drivers would love to come and work in the UK, breaking strike action for a fraction of what they are paid in Poland. It's just a pity they are no longer legally entitled to do so.

Keeiajs

19 Oct 2021, 6:55 pm #117
(19 Oct 2021, 6:09 pm)Clifton Hignett III It's such a shame that the UK no longer has a freedom of movement agreement with the EU.

I saw someone saying they can no longer get cheap labour from Poland which is really false as they were gettign the same wage as everyone else.
Keeiajs
19 Oct 2021, 6:55 pm #117

(19 Oct 2021, 6:09 pm)Clifton Hignett III It's such a shame that the UK no longer has a freedom of movement agreement with the EU.

I saw someone saying they can no longer get cheap labour from Poland which is really false as they were gettign the same wage as everyone else.

MurdnunoC

19 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm #118
I might become a bus driver in Poland if you get paid a weeks wage for just a few hours work.

It even beats the £19ph that GCT were offering on Facebook a few weeks ago.
MurdnunoC
19 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm #118

I might become a bus driver in Poland if you get paid a weeks wage for just a few hours work.

19 Oct 2021, 7:49 pm #119
(19 Oct 2021, 6:55 pm)Keeiajs I saw someone saying they can no longer get cheap labour from Poland which is really false as they were gettign the same wage as everyone else.

Labour is cheap enough in this country without the need to go elsewhere.

(19 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm)MurdnunoC I might become a bus driver in Poland if you get paid a weeks wage for just a few hours work.

Not many foreigners make it at Srriva. While the pay and conditions might be second to none, there is a huge culture difference between here and there. I think two people from here have tried in the past. One of them (Davey, I think his name was) was told never again to dress in green and grey (the colours of his favourite bus livery), and the other one, Anthony Nightie, was escorted off the premises for some sort of cultural faux-pas.

You're a brave man if you attempt to do this.
Clifton Hignett III
19 Oct 2021, 7:49 pm #119

(19 Oct 2021, 6:55 pm)Keeiajs I saw someone saying they can no longer get cheap labour from Poland which is really false as they were gettign the same wage as everyone else.

Labour is cheap enough in this country without the need to go elsewhere.

(19 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm)MurdnunoC I might become a bus driver in Poland if you get paid a weeks wage for just a few hours work.

Not many foreigners make it at Srriva. While the pay and conditions might be second to none, there is a huge culture difference between here and there. I think two people from here have tried in the past. One of them (Davey, I think his name was) was told never again to dress in green and grey (the colours of his favourite bus livery), and the other one, Anthony Nightie, was escorted off the premises for some sort of cultural faux-pas.

You're a brave man if you attempt to do this.

Keeiajs

24 Oct 2021, 11:27 am #120
I wonder if GNE drivers would ever do anything like this, but in Japan the drivers were striking and they drove all their routes but just let all passengers on for free and not accept any money wouldn't this be a better thing to do than strike and possible create services to every 30-60 mins.
Keeiajs
24 Oct 2021, 11:27 am #120

I wonder if GNE drivers would ever do anything like this, but in Japan the drivers were striking and they drove all their routes but just let all passengers on for free and not accept any money wouldn't this be a better thing to do than strike and possible create services to every 30-60 mins.

Pages (7) Previous 15 6 7 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average