Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events GNE Riverside Depot Open Day Sunday 25th July

GNE Riverside Depot Open Day Sunday 25th July

GNE Riverside Depot Open Day Sunday 25th July

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

24 Jul 2021, 9:36 pm #21
(24 Jul 2021, 7:10 pm)streetdeckfan I know, if only they had a StreetDeck appreciation day I'd be straight there Rolleyes

Maybe I'm just not enough of an 'enthusiast' to be here. I mean, I like buses but I ain't obsessed

I think you’ll find plenty of StreetDecks at the open day tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
24 Jul 2021, 9:36 pm #21

(24 Jul 2021, 7:10 pm)streetdeckfan I know, if only they had a StreetDeck appreciation day I'd be straight there Rolleyes

Maybe I'm just not enough of an 'enthusiast' to be here. I mean, I like buses but I ain't obsessed

I think you’ll find plenty of StreetDecks at the open day tomorrow.

24 Jul 2021, 9:40 pm #22
(24 Jul 2021, 8:39 pm)BusLoverMum I'm admittedly a bit of a lightweight as bus enthusiasts go but I was brought up around old vehicles being restored and have always enjoyed bus travel so joined in with my eldest when he started to take an interest.

I don't go onto rail enthusiast forums, though, and tell them how much I'm not interested in their hobby. That would be just plain weird.

I'm not not interested, I'd say I'm probably more interested in the operations side of it than the vehicles themselves.
And, with the vehicles, whilst I have an appreciation for the engineering underneath them, I'm probably more interested in the styling and passenger experience more than anything.

For example, contrary to popular belief, I don't actually hate the Enviro 400s, I just hate GNE's decision to go with low height vehicles on routes that don't require it, impacting on the passenger experience for 'people of height'. Likewise, while I'm a fan of StreetDecks, I'll happily admit their shortcomings
streetdeckfan
24 Jul 2021, 9:40 pm #22

(24 Jul 2021, 8:39 pm)BusLoverMum I'm admittedly a bit of a lightweight as bus enthusiasts go but I was brought up around old vehicles being restored and have always enjoyed bus travel so joined in with my eldest when he started to take an interest.

I don't go onto rail enthusiast forums, though, and tell them how much I'm not interested in their hobby. That would be just plain weird.

I'm not not interested, I'd say I'm probably more interested in the operations side of it than the vehicles themselves.
And, with the vehicles, whilst I have an appreciation for the engineering underneath them, I'm probably more interested in the styling and passenger experience more than anything.

For example, contrary to popular belief, I don't actually hate the Enviro 400s, I just hate GNE's decision to go with low height vehicles on routes that don't require it, impacting on the passenger experience for 'people of height'. Likewise, while I'm a fan of StreetDecks, I'll happily admit their shortcomings

Train8261

24 Jul 2021, 9:45 pm #23
As long as there is a QuayCity or two there. I'll be happy
Train8261
24 Jul 2021, 9:45 pm #23

As long as there is a QuayCity or two there. I'll be happy

24 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm #24
(24 Jul 2021, 9:36 pm)Dan I think you’ll find plenty of StreetDecks at the open day tomorrow.

Well bugger.

If GNE committed to a proper Sunday service on the X21 I'd have been there, but alas I shall have to just be there in spirit.
streetdeckfan
24 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm #24

(24 Jul 2021, 9:36 pm)Dan I think you’ll find plenty of StreetDecks at the open day tomorrow.

Well bugger.

If GNE committed to a proper Sunday service on the X21 I'd have been there, but alas I shall have to just be there in spirit.

25 Jul 2021, 6:22 am #25
Drove past at 0630 on the way to somewhere else, there's a Durham Diamond, various MetroCentre Shuttles, Berry and a Cherry I think
omnicity4659
25 Jul 2021, 6:22 am #25

Drove past at 0630 on the way to somewhere else, there's a Durham Diamond, various MetroCentre Shuttles, Berry and a Cherry I think

Andreos1

25 Jul 2021, 7:41 pm #26
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...5361271154&id=1568919676454419

Quote: 
DO YOU KNOW THESE CHILDREN?

We have been sent this image and the following text:

Today Go North East held an open-day event at their Riverside Depot near Metrocentre in Gateshead. The event was for people to gain an insight into the work of a bus company, the vehicles and the various different types of bus..

However, these buses were for display purposes only, without even asking staff these two youths were jumping on buses, turning switches and trying to start them up along with another male who had curly blonde hair and a grey hoodie, possibly from Teesside.

These two males were asked by Go North East staff to not fiddle with the buttons in the bus cab but proceeded to run to an area where staff weren't in attendance so they could start the bus up, had they made a wrong move or touched a wrong button and a bus rolled forward, this could have had serious consequences if anyone was in the way...

When a member of public intervened, they swore at him before calling him "Fat B*****" and running off when this picture was taken.

These barely look old enough to be out on their own, nevermind trying to drive buses!

Go North East staff went above and beyond to accommodate the event and tried every effort to stop these kids, but they are not your babysitter!

Oh dear!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Jul 2021, 7:41 pm #26

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...5361271154&id=1568919676454419

Quote: 
DO YOU KNOW THESE CHILDREN?

We have been sent this image and the following text:

Today Go North East held an open-day event at their Riverside Depot near Metrocentre in Gateshead. The event was for people to gain an insight into the work of a bus company, the vehicles and the various different types of bus..

However, these buses were for display purposes only, without even asking staff these two youths were jumping on buses, turning switches and trying to start them up along with another male who had curly blonde hair and a grey hoodie, possibly from Teesside.

These two males were asked by Go North East staff to not fiddle with the buttons in the bus cab but proceeded to run to an area where staff weren't in attendance so they could start the bus up, had they made a wrong move or touched a wrong button and a bus rolled forward, this could have had serious consequences if anyone was in the way...

When a member of public intervened, they swore at him before calling him "Fat B*****" and running off when this picture was taken.

These barely look old enough to be out on their own, nevermind trying to drive buses!

Go North East staff went above and beyond to accommodate the event and tried every effort to stop these kids, but they are not your babysitter!

Oh dear!

25 Jul 2021, 8:07 pm #27
(25 Jul 2021, 7:41 pm)Andreos1 https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...5361271154&id=1568919676454419

Oh dear!

Yes the activities were observed, an attempt was made to start the B5LH. Staff rapidly isolated the batteries on the buses, but it should never have happened.
54APhotography
25 Jul 2021, 8:07 pm #27

(25 Jul 2021, 7:41 pm)Andreos1 https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...5361271154&id=1568919676454419

Oh dear!

Yes the activities were observed, an attempt was made to start the B5LH. Staff rapidly isolated the batteries on the buses, but it should never have happened.

Michael

25 Jul 2021, 8:09 pm #28

Oh dear!

Link isn't working for me.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Jul 2021, 8:09 pm #28

Oh dear!

Link isn't working for me.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

25 Jul 2021, 8:23 pm #29
Always someone to spoil it for the rest of us.

Just to add, prob a good idea to use a chain and padlock to prevent unauthorised access to the vehicles cab.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
25 Jul 2021, 8:23 pm #29

Always someone to spoil it for the rest of us.

Just to add, prob a good idea to use a chain and padlock to prevent unauthorised access to the vehicles cab.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Andreos1

25 Jul 2021, 10:08 pm #30
(25 Jul 2021, 8:09 pm)Michael Link isn't working for me.

Looks like the story has been removed.
Glad I manged to copy the text.

Andreos1
25 Jul 2021, 10:08 pm #30

(25 Jul 2021, 8:09 pm)Michael Link isn't working for me.

Looks like the story has been removed.
Glad I manged to copy the text.

mb134

25 Jul 2021, 10:28 pm #31
(25 Jul 2021, 8:23 pm)Rapidsnap Always someone to spoil it for the rest of us.

Ultimately regardless of how many times organisers/companies/individuals ask, a small handful of 'enthusiasts' will behave like this anyway. 

The thing is, they're so small-minded that they don't see the damage they do to the enthusiast-organiser/company/individual relationship - or the potential physical damage that they *could* do. All it would take is for there to be an oversight in the planning and something be parked on a slight gradient, and for them to manage to release the parking brake.

It'll get to the point that vehicles have to be attended by staff, in this instance, at all times - at which point I'd imagine there'd be serious questions as to whether the open day is even worth having. Harder again for individual preservationists - leave their bus for lunch, return to find some arrogant little sods on it/find it careering through the parking lot.
mb134
25 Jul 2021, 10:28 pm #31

(25 Jul 2021, 8:23 pm)Rapidsnap Always someone to spoil it for the rest of us.

Ultimately regardless of how many times organisers/companies/individuals ask, a small handful of 'enthusiasts' will behave like this anyway. 

The thing is, they're so small-minded that they don't see the damage they do to the enthusiast-organiser/company/individual relationship - or the potential physical damage that they *could* do. All it would take is for there to be an oversight in the planning and something be parked on a slight gradient, and for them to manage to release the parking brake.

It'll get to the point that vehicles have to be attended by staff, in this instance, at all times - at which point I'd imagine there'd be serious questions as to whether the open day is even worth having. Harder again for individual preservationists - leave their bus for lunch, return to find some arrogant little sods on it/find it careering through the parking lot.

Train8261

25 Jul 2021, 10:39 pm #32
About 1pm. Gne staff stopped everyone from going in the cab of the X Lines as it look like they did something to the X85 one
Train8261
25 Jul 2021, 10:39 pm #32

About 1pm. Gne staff stopped everyone from going in the cab of the X Lines as it look like they did something to the X85 one

Adrian

25 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm #33
(25 Jul 2021, 10:28 pm)mb134 Ultimately regardless of how many times organisers/companies/individuals ask, a small handful of 'enthusiasts' will behave like this anyway. 

They're not 'enthusiasts' - or at least I'd like to think that actual enthusiasts wouldn't try and wreck access to their own hobby.

To be honest, I'd say its not worth GNE or any other company hosting open access days to their depots, unless they've got proper SIA holder security for the event. They shouldn't have to, but you can't afford not to when opening up to the general public nowadays.

Its a shame the article has been taken down. The more people who circulate descriptions and photos, the better.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
25 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm #33

(25 Jul 2021, 10:28 pm)mb134 Ultimately regardless of how many times organisers/companies/individuals ask, a small handful of 'enthusiasts' will behave like this anyway. 

They're not 'enthusiasts' - or at least I'd like to think that actual enthusiasts wouldn't try and wreck access to their own hobby.

To be honest, I'd say its not worth GNE or any other company hosting open access days to their depots, unless they've got proper SIA holder security for the event. They shouldn't have to, but you can't afford not to when opening up to the general public nowadays.

Its a shame the article has been taken down. The more people who circulate descriptions and photos, the better.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

25 Jul 2021, 11:18 pm #34
(25 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm)Adrian They're not 'enthusiasts' - or at least I'd like to think that actual enthusiasts wouldn't try and wreck access to their own hobby.

I managed to open it before it was deleted, and there was a comment from the page saying they had been identified and were asking people to tag their parents so they could see.
streetdeckfan
25 Jul 2021, 11:18 pm #34

(25 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm)Adrian They're not 'enthusiasts' - or at least I'd like to think that actual enthusiasts wouldn't try and wreck access to their own hobby.

I managed to open it before it was deleted, and there was a comment from the page saying they had been identified and were asking people to tag their parents so they could see.

27 Jul 2021, 12:11 am #35
The volunteer staff had dumped the air on all the buses upon opening, the notable incident was when one enthusiast started the diamond and had engaged reverse before he was caught in the act. They then went round and isolated everything but there was still a few attempts made to start them.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
27 Jul 2021, 12:11 am #35

The volunteer staff had dumped the air on all the buses upon opening, the notable incident was when one enthusiast started the diamond and had engaged reverse before he was caught in the act. They then went round and isolated everything but there was still a few attempts made to start them.

27 Jul 2021, 12:21 am #36
(27 Jul 2021, 12:11 am)6049 The volunteer staff had dumped the air on all the buses upon opening, the notable incident was when one enthusiast started the diamond and had engaged reverse before he was caught in the act. They then went round and isolated everything but there was still a few attempts made to start them.

Why did they start the Diamond and engage reverse? How did they get caught in the act? Any ideas about the X84/X85 bus incident mentioned on here previously, something happened to it?

Some people do some rather stupid things.
OrangeArrow49
27 Jul 2021, 12:21 am #36

(27 Jul 2021, 12:11 am)6049 The volunteer staff had dumped the air on all the buses upon opening, the notable incident was when one enthusiast started the diamond and had engaged reverse before he was caught in the act. They then went round and isolated everything but there was still a few attempts made to start them.

Why did they start the Diamond and engage reverse? How did they get caught in the act? Any ideas about the X84/X85 bus incident mentioned on here previously, something happened to it?

Some people do some rather stupid things.

Train8261

27 Jul 2021, 12:32 am #37
Dk. But it forced nearby staff members to stop anyone getting in the cab. Tbh it was fun with the destination boards but Jesus the honking got annoying
Train8261
27 Jul 2021, 12:32 am #37

Dk. But it forced nearby staff members to stop anyone getting in the cab. Tbh it was fun with the destination boards but Jesus the honking got annoying

27 Jul 2021, 12:45 am #38
I'm just surprised they're allowed to have people in the cabs at all, even with supervision.

Imagine explaining to the insurance what happened if someone was to let the handbrake off and it ran into another bus, or the courts if someone let off the handbrake and it ran over a bunch of school children.
I'm pretty sure the person 'supervising' would not be let off lightly in such an incident since I believe legally they'd be seen as in control of the vehicle, the same way that a driving instructor is when teaching a student.
streetdeckfan
27 Jul 2021, 12:45 am #38

I'm just surprised they're allowed to have people in the cabs at all, even with supervision.

Imagine explaining to the insurance what happened if someone was to let the handbrake off and it ran into another bus, or the courts if someone let off the handbrake and it ran over a bunch of school children.
I'm pretty sure the person 'supervising' would not be let off lightly in such an incident since I believe legally they'd be seen as in control of the vehicle, the same way that a driving instructor is when teaching a student.

Train8261

27 Jul 2021, 12:49 am #39
True. I mean. Some people were being decent about it. Random destination and parents taken there kids on. And letting the kids sit in the cab. But u had the Random ones who for some reason just started the bus up.

Think the reason for the cab not being sat in anymore was become I think the X84 one moved a tiny bit which one of the nearby staff noticed cause he seemed to dash over to it. At least that's what I think it was.

I heard the Durham Diamond engine turns on. And the headlights of the X45 but that was it
Train8261
27 Jul 2021, 12:49 am #39

True. I mean. Some people were being decent about it. Random destination and parents taken there kids on. And letting the kids sit in the cab. But u had the Random ones who for some reason just started the bus up.

Think the reason for the cab not being sat in anymore was become I think the X84 one moved a tiny bit which one of the nearby staff noticed cause he seemed to dash over to it. At least that's what I think it was.

I heard the Durham Diamond engine turns on. And the headlights of the X45 but that was it

27 Jul 2021, 12:59 am #40
At the end of the day, had anything serious happened the fault would have been on solely GNE's part imo.

They shouldn't have been able to access the cab unsupervised and they shouldn't have been able to start the vehicle.

Risk assessments should have been made and precautions taken to make sure such a thing couldn't happen in the first place.

Yes, the little shits shouldn't have done what they did, but if GNE had proper measures in place, they wouldn't have been able to

It's all well and good saying they should be able to trust the enthusiast community, but what if a murdering psychopath that knows how to start a bus properly turned up and decided to mow everyone down?
streetdeckfan
27 Jul 2021, 12:59 am #40

At the end of the day, had anything serious happened the fault would have been on solely GNE's part imo.

They shouldn't have been able to access the cab unsupervised and they shouldn't have been able to start the vehicle.

Risk assessments should have been made and precautions taken to make sure such a thing couldn't happen in the first place.

Yes, the little shits shouldn't have done what they did, but if GNE had proper measures in place, they wouldn't have been able to

It's all well and good saying they should be able to trust the enthusiast community, but what if a murdering psychopath that knows how to start a bus properly turned up and decided to mow everyone down?

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average