Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Summer Fares Offer

Summer Fares Offer

Summer Fares Offer

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (6): Previous 1 2 36 Next
Andreos1

30 Jul 2021, 2:06 pm #21
(30 Jul 2021, 1:34 pm)cbma06 Don’t forget the original SDO used to operate buses to Durham/Bishop Auckland/South Shields/Newcastle etc… and not just in the Sunderland district area

I don’t mind the brands, but don’t like route branding especially when the bus does other routes, especially on Arriva buses when anything from the depot turns up 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know we are getting well off topic, but that's part of the excitement for me. Whether it plane, train or... bus.
Always has been and although I see a lot of benefits to the various apps or rtt where the vehicle type/id is shown, it definitely takes the surprise out of what is going to come around the corner next and the groan/little fist pump that inevitably follows.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 Jul 2021, 2:06 pm #21

(30 Jul 2021, 1:34 pm)cbma06 Don’t forget the original SDO used to operate buses to Durham/Bishop Auckland/South Shields/Newcastle etc… and not just in the Sunderland district area

I don’t mind the brands, but don’t like route branding especially when the bus does other routes, especially on Arriva buses when anything from the depot turns up 

I know we are getting well off topic, but that's part of the excitement for me. Whether it plane, train or... bus.
Always has been and although I see a lot of benefits to the various apps or rtt where the vehicle type/id is shown, it definitely takes the surprise out of what is going to come around the corner next and the groan/little fist pump that inevitably follows.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

30 Jul 2021, 2:30 pm #22

Wasn't Murton depot Wear Buses as well even though it wasn't anywhere near the river Wear? I don't think many people in Seaham and Murton will be too offended with buses that have "Sunderland District" on the front of them when they can get all the way to Sunderland for £1.70 instead of the current £3.60/£3.10 respectively.
deanmachine
30 Jul 2021, 2:30 pm #22

Wasn't Murton depot Wear Buses as well even though it wasn't anywhere near the river Wear? I don't think many people in Seaham and Murton will be too offended with buses that have "Sunderland District" on the front of them when they can get all the way to Sunderland for £1.70 instead of the current £3.60/£3.10 respectively.

cbma06

30 Jul 2021, 3:07 pm #23
(30 Jul 2021, 2:30 pm)deanmachine Wasn't Murton depot Wear Buses as well even though it wasn't anywhere near the river Wear? I don't think many people in Seaham and Murton will be too offended with buses that have "Sunderland District" on the front of them when they can get all the way to Sunderland for £1.70 instead of the current £3.60/£3.10 respectively.

I think murton depot was closed well before the wearbuses livery came out

cbma06
30 Jul 2021, 3:07 pm #23

(30 Jul 2021, 2:30 pm)deanmachine Wasn't Murton depot Wear Buses as well even though it wasn't anywhere near the river Wear? I don't think many people in Seaham and Murton will be too offended with buses that have "Sunderland District" on the front of them when they can get all the way to Sunderland for £1.70 instead of the current £3.60/£3.10 respectively.

I think murton depot was closed well before the wearbuses livery came out

Drifter60

30 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm #24

I don’t think anyone will be offended! As I say, I welcome the promotion. And it’s welcome to see new zones introduced to lower travel to new areas, for instance Seaham to Durham is usually an all zone ticket whereas with this a County Durham ticket would be valid? Actually just as I wrote this, I’m wondering would it? As technically you leave County Durham in Hetton and Moorsley, is the ticket still valid as long as you don’t alight in Tyne and Wear area? Nonetheless welcome the introduction of new tickets and zones and the evening fare offer is also a great initative. 

Just not a fan of the livery really. And also this sort of hark back to yesteryear is what we’ve previously been told doesn’t connect with passengers. I’m 27 and didn’t even realise “Sunderland District Buses” was a previous name and I’m someone from this forum who takes an interest in buses. So I do wonder is the point of the brand? Surely not many people 10 years either side of my age are going to know the history of this brand name and surely those aged 17-37 are a growth marker who you’re more likely to convince to go green and ditch the car, particularly the younger end of that age band. So I just question the usefulness? The brands like “Coaster” “Prince Bishop” “XLINES” that are easy one or two word names work best, “East Gateshead Rider” “Sunderland District Purple” is just too many syllables in my eyes.
Drifter60
30 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm #24

I don’t think anyone will be offended! As I say, I welcome the promotion. And it’s welcome to see new zones introduced to lower travel to new areas, for instance Seaham to Durham is usually an all zone ticket whereas with this a County Durham ticket would be valid? Actually just as I wrote this, I’m wondering would it? As technically you leave County Durham in Hetton and Moorsley, is the ticket still valid as long as you don’t alight in Tyne and Wear area? Nonetheless welcome the introduction of new tickets and zones and the evening fare offer is also a great initative. 

Just not a fan of the livery really. And also this sort of hark back to yesteryear is what we’ve previously been told doesn’t connect with passengers. I’m 27 and didn’t even realise “Sunderland District Buses” was a previous name and I’m someone from this forum who takes an interest in buses. So I do wonder is the point of the brand? Surely not many people 10 years either side of my age are going to know the history of this brand name and surely those aged 17-37 are a growth marker who you’re more likely to convince to go green and ditch the car, particularly the younger end of that age band. So I just question the usefulness? The brands like “Coaster” “Prince Bishop” “XLINES” that are easy one or two word names work best, “East Gateshead Rider” “Sunderland District Purple” is just too many syllables in my eyes.

30 Jul 2021, 6:47 pm #25
(30 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm)Drifter60 I don’t think anyone will be offended! As I say, I welcome the promotion. And it’s welcome to see new zones introduced to lower travel to new areas, for instance Seaham to Durham is usually an all zone ticket whereas with this a County Durham ticket would be valid? Actually just as I wrote this, I’m wondering would it? As technically you leave County Durham in Hetton and Moorsley, is the ticket still valid as long as you don’t alight in Tyne and Wear area? 

Just double checked our staff briefing, the Durham county ticket is valid the full route of the 265.
deanmachine
30 Jul 2021, 6:47 pm #25

(30 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm)Drifter60 I don’t think anyone will be offended! As I say, I welcome the promotion. And it’s welcome to see new zones introduced to lower travel to new areas, for instance Seaham to Durham is usually an all zone ticket whereas with this a County Durham ticket would be valid? Actually just as I wrote this, I’m wondering would it? As technically you leave County Durham in Hetton and Moorsley, is the ticket still valid as long as you don’t alight in Tyne and Wear area? 

Just double checked our staff briefing, the Durham county ticket is valid the full route of the 265.

30 Jul 2021, 6:58 pm #26
(30 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm)Drifter60 Just not a fan of the livery really. And also this sort of hark back to yesteryear is what we’ve previously been told doesn’t connect with passengers. I’m 27 and didn’t even realise “Sunderland District Buses” was a previous name and I’m someone from this forum who takes an interest in buses. So I do wonder is the point of the brand? Surely not many people 10 years either side of my age are going to know the history of this brand name and surely those aged 17-37 are a growth marker who you’re more likely to convince to go green and ditch the car, particularly the younger end of that age band. So I just question the usefulness? The brands like “Coaster” “Prince Bishop” “XLINES” that are easy one or two word names work best, “East Gateshead Rider” “Sunderland District Purple” is just too many syllables in my eyes.

I wonder if it's got anything to do with Scarborough and District at East Yorkshire.

Since MG came to power everything seems to just be a rehash of other people's branding! I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just an observation
streetdeckfan
30 Jul 2021, 6:58 pm #26

(30 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm)Drifter60 Just not a fan of the livery really. And also this sort of hark back to yesteryear is what we’ve previously been told doesn’t connect with passengers. I’m 27 and didn’t even realise “Sunderland District Buses” was a previous name and I’m someone from this forum who takes an interest in buses. So I do wonder is the point of the brand? Surely not many people 10 years either side of my age are going to know the history of this brand name and surely those aged 17-37 are a growth marker who you’re more likely to convince to go green and ditch the car, particularly the younger end of that age band. So I just question the usefulness? The brands like “Coaster” “Prince Bishop” “XLINES” that are easy one or two word names work best, “East Gateshead Rider” “Sunderland District Purple” is just too many syllables in my eyes.

I wonder if it's got anything to do with Scarborough and District at East Yorkshire.

Since MG came to power everything seems to just be a rehash of other people's branding! I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just an observation

S813 FVK

30 Jul 2021, 7:04 pm #27
(30 Jul 2021, 6:58 pm)streetdeckfan I wonder if it's got anything to do with Scarborough and District at East Yorkshire.

Given they’ve taken the opposite view and banished the Scarborough & District brand from use, probably not.
S813 FVK
30 Jul 2021, 7:04 pm #27

(30 Jul 2021, 6:58 pm)streetdeckfan I wonder if it's got anything to do with Scarborough and District at East Yorkshire.

Given they’ve taken the opposite view and banished the Scarborough & District brand from use, probably not.

30 Jul 2021, 7:07 pm #28
(30 Jul 2021, 7:04 pm)S813 FVK Given they’ve taken the opposite view and banished the Scarborough & District brand from use, probably not.

That is true, I forgot they rebranded them to Scarborough Locals. I wonder when the 'locals' branding will turn up then!  Big Grin
streetdeckfan
30 Jul 2021, 7:07 pm #28

(30 Jul 2021, 7:04 pm)S813 FVK Given they’ve taken the opposite view and banished the Scarborough & District brand from use, probably not.

That is true, I forgot they rebranded them to Scarborough Locals. I wonder when the 'locals' branding will turn up then!  Big Grin

cbma06

30 Jul 2021, 7:12 pm #29
(30 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm)Drifter60 I don’t think anyone will be offended! As I say, I welcome the promotion. And it’s welcome to see new zones introduced to lower travel to new areas, for instance Seaham to Durham is usually an all zone ticket whereas with this a County Durham ticket would be valid? Actually just as I wrote this, I’m wondering would it? As technically you leave County Durham in Hetton and Moorsley, is the ticket still valid as long as you don’t alight in Tyne and Wear area? Nonetheless welcome the introduction of new tickets and zones and the evening fare offer is also a great initative. 

You probably not know that there used to be Durham and District Buses aswell but there were bought by United (now Arriva) , but that’s another story

All that GNE has done is used the old name and just spiced it up with out the old colour brand

cbma06
30 Jul 2021, 7:12 pm #29

(30 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm)Drifter60 I don’t think anyone will be offended! As I say, I welcome the promotion. And it’s welcome to see new zones introduced to lower travel to new areas, for instance Seaham to Durham is usually an all zone ticket whereas with this a County Durham ticket would be valid? Actually just as I wrote this, I’m wondering would it? As technically you leave County Durham in Hetton and Moorsley, is the ticket still valid as long as you don’t alight in Tyne and Wear area? Nonetheless welcome the introduction of new tickets and zones and the evening fare offer is also a great initative. 

You probably not know that there used to be Durham and District Buses aswell but there were bought by United (now Arriva) , but that’s another story

All that GNE has done is used the old name and just spiced it up with out the old colour brand

Adrian

01 Aug 2021, 12:47 pm #30
(30 Jul 2021, 3:04 am)streetdeckfan If it's not included then I do feel like the zone map is slightly misleading having Newcastle and Gateshead in the same bubble.
Plus, iirc Newcastle and Gateshead have been considered the same area in terms of ticketing with previous zones.

I agree, and I've seen a few queries around this already. The merging of the Newcastle and Gateshead bubbles suggest its inclusive, especially when the dashed boundary line doesn't split the two.

There also seems to be some confusion at whether these tickets compliment the existing Go Zones or replace them. Colouring the zones identically to the Go Zones doesn't help here. 

I note that the ticket page states "The ticket offers are designed to offer a range of very simple headline fares with easy-to-understand fare zones that match borough and county boundaries.", but I've noticed that Springwell falls outside of the City of Sunderland zone, despite the original Springwell being part of the administrative boundary. 

[Image: springwell.png]

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 Aug 2021, 12:47 pm #30

(30 Jul 2021, 3:04 am)streetdeckfan If it's not included then I do feel like the zone map is slightly misleading having Newcastle and Gateshead in the same bubble.
Plus, iirc Newcastle and Gateshead have been considered the same area in terms of ticketing with previous zones.

I agree, and I've seen a few queries around this already. The merging of the Newcastle and Gateshead bubbles suggest its inclusive, especially when the dashed boundary line doesn't split the two.

There also seems to be some confusion at whether these tickets compliment the existing Go Zones or replace them. Colouring the zones identically to the Go Zones doesn't help here. 

I note that the ticket page states "The ticket offers are designed to offer a range of very simple headline fares with easy-to-understand fare zones that match borough and county boundaries.", but I've noticed that Springwell falls outside of the City of Sunderland zone, despite the original Springwell being part of the administrative boundary. 

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

01 Aug 2021, 1:12 pm #31
(01 Aug 2021, 12:47 pm)Adrian I agree, and I've seen a few queries around this already. The merging of the Newcastle and Gateshead bubbles suggest its inclusive, especially when the dashed boundary line doesn't split the two.

Having got in touch with customer services I was informed that Newcastle is in fact outside of the Gateshead zone, so would result in being charged the full fare rather than it being capped.

It's bordering on false advertising to me, there definitely needs to be something done to make it clearer that it's not included
streetdeckfan
01 Aug 2021, 1:12 pm #31

(01 Aug 2021, 12:47 pm)Adrian I agree, and I've seen a few queries around this already. The merging of the Newcastle and Gateshead bubbles suggest its inclusive, especially when the dashed boundary line doesn't split the two.

Having got in touch with customer services I was informed that Newcastle is in fact outside of the Gateshead zone, so would result in being charged the full fare rather than it being capped.

It's bordering on false advertising to me, there definitely needs to be something done to make it clearer that it's not included

citaro5284

01 Aug 2021, 7:04 pm #32
(01 Aug 2021, 1:12 pm)streetdeckfan Having got in touch with customer services I was informed that Newcastle is in fact outside of the Gateshead zone, so would result in being charged the full fare rather than it being capped.

Err....Newcastle is not in Gateshead, cannot get much clearer than that mind.
citaro5284
01 Aug 2021, 7:04 pm #32

(01 Aug 2021, 1:12 pm)streetdeckfan Having got in touch with customer services I was informed that Newcastle is in fact outside of the Gateshead zone, so would result in being charged the full fare rather than it being capped.

Err....Newcastle is not in Gateshead, cannot get much clearer than that mind.

Drifter60

01 Aug 2021, 8:09 pm #33
(01 Aug 2021, 7:04 pm)citaro5284 Err....Newcastle is not in Gateshead, cannot get much clearer than that mind.

Yes, I think we can all work out county and borough boundaries and are aware of them but there’s already a few anomalies ie. Springwell* not being included on the City of Sunderland ticket / Seaham and Murton are included which means that ticket isn’t really following boundaries. The map for some reason looks as if Newcastle City centre maybe included, GNE caused the confusion with the map.

*Edit: However in fairness to GNE, Springwell can’t seem decide where it is, Wikipedia says part of Gateshead and has a Gateshead NE9 postcode. Is it actually Sunderland?
Drifter60
01 Aug 2021, 8:09 pm #33

(01 Aug 2021, 7:04 pm)citaro5284 Err....Newcastle is not in Gateshead, cannot get much clearer than that mind.

Yes, I think we can all work out county and borough boundaries and are aware of them but there’s already a few anomalies ie. Springwell* not being included on the City of Sunderland ticket / Seaham and Murton are included which means that ticket isn’t really following boundaries. The map for some reason looks as if Newcastle City centre maybe included, GNE caused the confusion with the map.

*Edit: However in fairness to GNE, Springwell can’t seem decide where it is, Wikipedia says part of Gateshead and has a Gateshead NE9 postcode. Is it actually Sunderland?

01 Aug 2021, 8:41 pm #34

It's still in the Sunderland Zone, must be a mistake for the map. On the info drivers have the fare stage border is Springwell Co-Op, also where the Gateshead Zone starts going the other way.
deanmachine
01 Aug 2021, 8:41 pm #34

It's still in the Sunderland Zone, must be a mistake for the map. On the info drivers have the fare stage border is Springwell Co-Op, also where the Gateshead Zone starts going the other way.

idiot

01 Aug 2021, 9:23 pm #35
Springwell is defo Sunderland, as I have taught there and work for City of Sunderland Council.

You may remember my post that I beat the bus on my bike...
idiot
01 Aug 2021, 9:23 pm #35

Springwell is defo Sunderland, as I have taught there and work for City of Sunderland Council.

You may remember my post that I beat the bus on my bike...

01 Aug 2021, 9:58 pm #36

Except the map shows that Newcastle and Gateshead are in the same bubble, a bubble that is partially inside of the Gateshead zone.
Heck, even the word Gateshead isn't in the Gateshead zone!

[Image: image.png]
streetdeckfan
01 Aug 2021, 9:58 pm #36

Except the map shows that Newcastle and Gateshead are in the same bubble, a bubble that is partially inside of the Gateshead zone.
Heck, even the word Gateshead isn't in the Gateshead zone!

[Image: image.png]

Ambassador

01 Aug 2021, 10:16 pm #37
In most cases aren’t Newcastle and Gateshead the same fare anyway?

Travelling from Chester and Birtley, Gateshead and Newcastle are always the same fare

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
01 Aug 2021, 10:16 pm #37

In most cases aren’t Newcastle and Gateshead the same fare anyway?

Travelling from Chester and Birtley, Gateshead and Newcastle are always the same fare

01 Aug 2021, 10:35 pm #38
(01 Aug 2021, 10:16 pm)Ambassador In most cases aren’t Newcastle and Gateshead the same fare anyway?

With the usual ticketing they are, but since trips within Gateshead will be capped at £1.70 there will be the situation where travelling to Gateshead will be £1.70 but crossing over the Tyne one extra stop will result in the price jumping up to £3-4
streetdeckfan
01 Aug 2021, 10:35 pm #38

(01 Aug 2021, 10:16 pm)Ambassador In most cases aren’t Newcastle and Gateshead the same fare anyway?

With the usual ticketing they are, but since trips within Gateshead will be capped at £1.70 there will be the situation where travelling to Gateshead will be £1.70 but crossing over the Tyne one extra stop will result in the price jumping up to £3-4

Ambassador

01 Aug 2021, 10:41 pm #39
(01 Aug 2021, 10:35 pm)streetdeckfan With the usual ticketing they are, but since trips within Gateshead will be capped at £1.70 there will be the situation where travelling to Gateshead will be £1.70 but crossing over the Tyne one extra stop will result in the price jumping up to £3-4

Surely they wouldn’t do that? That would make it cheaper to get off at Gateshead and hop onto the Metro….the literal plan that was the 1980s public transport strategy for Tyneside. 

It’s nice seeing a bus company that is a monopoly having to fight for passengers and seeing what it’s capable of. It’s core market is hugely eroded so it now needs to compete with Uber and Minicabs for leisure as opposed to the car.

Ambassador
01 Aug 2021, 10:41 pm #39

(01 Aug 2021, 10:35 pm)streetdeckfan With the usual ticketing they are, but since trips within Gateshead will be capped at £1.70 there will be the situation where travelling to Gateshead will be £1.70 but crossing over the Tyne one extra stop will result in the price jumping up to £3-4

Surely they wouldn’t do that? That would make it cheaper to get off at Gateshead and hop onto the Metro….the literal plan that was the 1980s public transport strategy for Tyneside. 

It’s nice seeing a bus company that is a monopoly having to fight for passengers and seeing what it’s capable of. It’s core market is hugely eroded so it now needs to compete with Uber and Minicabs for leisure as opposed to the car.

01 Aug 2021, 10:50 pm #40
(01 Aug 2021, 10:41 pm)Ambassador Surely they wouldn’t do that? That would make it cheaper to get off at Gateshead and hop onto the Metro….the literal plan that was the 1980s public transport strategy for Tyneside. 

That's what customer services told me, prices revert to the full standard single if the journey starts or ends outside of the Gateshead Zone
streetdeckfan
01 Aug 2021, 10:50 pm #40

(01 Aug 2021, 10:41 pm)Ambassador Surely they wouldn’t do that? That would make it cheaper to get off at Gateshead and hop onto the Metro….the literal plan that was the 1980s public transport strategy for Tyneside. 

That's what customer services told me, prices revert to the full standard single if the journey starts or ends outside of the Gateshead Zone

Pages (6): Previous 1 2 36 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average