eCitaro on trial

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
ne14ne1

08 Jan 2023, 3:43 pm #41
ne14ne1
08 Jan 2023, 3:43 pm #41

08 Jan 2023, 7:03 pm #42
Looks like it's still got the same god awful Citaro seats, are they as bad as the ones on GNE's?
streetdeckfan
08 Jan 2023, 7:03 pm #42

Looks like it's still got the same god awful Citaro seats, are they as bad as the ones on GNE's?

Dan

Site Administrator

08 Jan 2023, 11:10 pm #43
(08 Jan 2023, 7:03 pm)streetdeckfan Looks like it's still got the same god awful Citaro seats, are they as bad as the ones on GNE's?

More comfortable as they’re in moquette rather than leather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
08 Jan 2023, 11:10 pm #43

(08 Jan 2023, 7:03 pm)streetdeckfan Looks like it's still got the same god awful Citaro seats, are they as bad as the ones on GNE's?

More comfortable as they’re in moquette rather than leather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambassador

08 Jan 2023, 11:26 pm #44
Has anyone been brought to trial for introducing leather to GNE?

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
08 Jan 2023, 11:26 pm #44

Has anyone been brought to trial for introducing leather to GNE?

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

nova347

09 Jan 2023, 9:50 pm #45
Why is it being trialled on the 97? Like they just got new buses like 4 years ago.
nova347
09 Jan 2023, 9:50 pm #45

Why is it being trialled on the 97? Like they just got new buses like 4 years ago.

09 Jan 2023, 9:56 pm #46
(09 Jan 2023, 9:50 pm)nova347 Why is it being trialled on the 97? Like they just got new buses like 4 years ago.

Popular routes that make money (not sure if the 97 is included) are most likely to be able to make back the investment of new vehicles.
streetdeckfan
09 Jan 2023, 9:56 pm #46

(09 Jan 2023, 9:50 pm)nova347 Why is it being trialled on the 97? Like they just got new buses like 4 years ago.

Popular routes that make money (not sure if the 97 is included) are most likely to be able to make back the investment of new vehicles.

Unber43

09 Jan 2023, 10:12 pm #47
I don't get why its just being trialed at Riverside and not Deptford or Washington on the 4/60 possibly the 20, as CLS managed to do the electroliner on the 21 granted that was on for like 4/5 hours per day and was still off for a bit.

Today the eCitaro was replaced at Gateshead managing around 11 hours. also I dont really get why it can only do 160km when I am pretty sure the ones in Germany can manage 200km which I still don't think will be enough however GNE should have fast charging electric facilities at bus station where they can park for 15 mins pretty sure you get like 80% charge in what could be less time than that.
Unber43
09 Jan 2023, 10:12 pm #47

I don't get why its just being trialed at Riverside and not Deptford or Washington on the 4/60 possibly the 20, as CLS managed to do the electroliner on the 21 granted that was on for like 4/5 hours per day and was still off for a bit.

Today the eCitaro was replaced at Gateshead managing around 11 hours. also I dont really get why it can only do 160km when I am pretty sure the ones in Germany can manage 200km which I still don't think will be enough however GNE should have fast charging electric facilities at bus station where they can park for 15 mins pretty sure you get like 80% charge in what could be less time than that.

nova347

09 Jan 2023, 10:17 pm #48
(09 Jan 2023, 9:56 pm)streetdeckfan Popular routes that make money (not sure if the 97 is included) are most likely to be able to make back the investment of new vehicles.
That makes sense, but if the 97 can get new buses in like 4 years but the 60 which gets packed, and I know the 97 gets busy but the 60 which hasn't had new vehicles in 10 years can't get a repaint or get their seat re-done. 

Like even just a trial in Sunderland would be nice, whether that's a Euro 6 bus or an electric bus which is not very likely, I know Deptford doesn't have any charger facilities but neither did Chester they still trialled an electric decker although if Depford ever gets an electric bus it's more likely to be trialled on the 56.

But it would be nice for them to trial a GB Hawk (Euro 6) or GB Kite whether that's the Hydrogen or the Electric one also trial or the Volvo 7900.
nova347
09 Jan 2023, 10:17 pm #48

(09 Jan 2023, 9:56 pm)streetdeckfan Popular routes that make money (not sure if the 97 is included) are most likely to be able to make back the investment of new vehicles.
That makes sense, but if the 97 can get new buses in like 4 years but the 60 which gets packed, and I know the 97 gets busy but the 60 which hasn't had new vehicles in 10 years can't get a repaint or get their seat re-done. 

Like even just a trial in Sunderland would be nice, whether that's a Euro 6 bus or an electric bus which is not very likely, I know Deptford doesn't have any charger facilities but neither did Chester they still trialled an electric decker although if Depford ever gets an electric bus it's more likely to be trialled on the 56.

But it would be nice for them to trial a GB Hawk (Euro 6) or GB Kite whether that's the Hydrogen or the Electric one also trial or the Volvo 7900.

09 Jan 2023, 11:09 pm #49
(09 Jan 2023, 10:17 pm)nova347 That makes sense, but if the 97 can get new buses in like 4 years but the 60 which gets packed, and I know the 97 gets busy but the 60 which hasn't had new vehicles in 10 years can't get a repaint or get their seat re-done. 

But the only feasible way for some of the 'lesser' routes to get upgrades is through cascades from the more profitable routes (once again, not sure where the routes you mention fit into the scale).

The thing is though, you say a trial in Sunderland would be nice, but honestly why would they bother? It's essentially just a waste of money/effort if the vehicle is never going to be ordered for the area. The time would be better spent evaluating the vehicle where it's more likely to end up.

If the 97 does get upgraded, those 'nearly new' E200s will then end up on a route that just couldn't feasibly be run if new vehicles were ordered for it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe single deckers are expected to last 10 years, so those E200s on the 97 are already a third through their life and have likely already been depreciated down to the point where they could be moved onto another less profitable route.
streetdeckfan
09 Jan 2023, 11:09 pm #49

(09 Jan 2023, 10:17 pm)nova347 That makes sense, but if the 97 can get new buses in like 4 years but the 60 which gets packed, and I know the 97 gets busy but the 60 which hasn't had new vehicles in 10 years can't get a repaint or get their seat re-done. 

But the only feasible way for some of the 'lesser' routes to get upgrades is through cascades from the more profitable routes (once again, not sure where the routes you mention fit into the scale).

The thing is though, you say a trial in Sunderland would be nice, but honestly why would they bother? It's essentially just a waste of money/effort if the vehicle is never going to be ordered for the area. The time would be better spent evaluating the vehicle where it's more likely to end up.

If the 97 does get upgraded, those 'nearly new' E200s will then end up on a route that just couldn't feasibly be run if new vehicles were ordered for it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe single deckers are expected to last 10 years, so those E200s on the 97 are already a third through their life and have likely already been depreciated down to the point where they could be moved onto another less profitable route.

Unber43

09 Jan 2023, 11:12 pm #50
(09 Jan 2023, 11:09 pm)streetdeckfan But the only feasible way for some of the 'lesser' routes to get upgrades is through cascades from the more profitable routes (once again, not sure where the routes you mention fit into the scale).

I thought it was 15. 

But the last upgrade to the 97 was replacing 15 year old Scania's, when I've seen it its can be busy but it can also be dead or just maybe about 10-12 people on, quite often the latter actually. 

If the max life of a single decker is 10 years I would be worrying about GNE situation tbh.
Unber43
09 Jan 2023, 11:12 pm #50

(09 Jan 2023, 11:09 pm)streetdeckfan But the only feasible way for some of the 'lesser' routes to get upgrades is through cascades from the more profitable routes (once again, not sure where the routes you mention fit into the scale).

I thought it was 15. 

But the last upgrade to the 97 was replacing 15 year old Scania's, when I've seen it its can be busy but it can also be dead or just maybe about 10-12 people on, quite often the latter actually. 

If the max life of a single decker is 10 years I would be worrying about GNE situation tbh.

09 Jan 2023, 11:18 pm #51
(09 Jan 2023, 11:12 pm)Unber43 I thought it was 15. 

I thought it was something like 7 for mini buses, 10 for single deckers, and 15 for double deckers? Could be wrong though

Obviously they'll last much longer than that, but they use standard figures like that to calculate the depreciation and other financial stuffs
streetdeckfan
09 Jan 2023, 11:18 pm #51

(09 Jan 2023, 11:12 pm)Unber43 I thought it was 15. 

I thought it was something like 7 for mini buses, 10 for single deckers, and 15 for double deckers? Could be wrong though

Obviously they'll last much longer than that, but they use standard figures like that to calculate the depreciation and other financial stuffs

Unber43

09 Jan 2023, 11:39 pm #52
(09 Jan 2023, 11:18 pm)streetdeckfan I thought it was something like 7 for mini buses, 10 for single deckers, and 15 for double deckers? Could be wrong though

If its 7 for minibuses then basically all of GNE solos bar 3 will need replacements, 10 for single 40 buses would need to be replaced with another 20 or smth soon. 

Deckers they're pretty much all under 15 years old.
Unber43
09 Jan 2023, 11:39 pm #52

(09 Jan 2023, 11:18 pm)streetdeckfan I thought it was something like 7 for mini buses, 10 for single deckers, and 15 for double deckers? Could be wrong though

If its 7 for minibuses then basically all of GNE solos bar 3 will need replacements, 10 for single 40 buses would need to be replaced with another 20 or smth soon. 

Deckers they're pretty much all under 15 years old.

09 Jan 2023, 11:44 pm #53
Perhaps the reason it's being used on the 97 is because it's quite a challenging route for an electric vehicle with numerous steep hill climbs and the potential to regenerate energy when it goes back down a hill. It's hill starting ability on Lobley Hill this morning was certainly impressive, better than any fuel powered vehicle, but then again electric motors will have more torque than a combustion engine and the lack of gears.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
09 Jan 2023, 11:44 pm #53

Perhaps the reason it's being used on the 97 is because it's quite a challenging route for an electric vehicle with numerous steep hill climbs and the potential to regenerate energy when it goes back down a hill. It's hill starting ability on Lobley Hill this morning was certainly impressive, better than any fuel powered vehicle, but then again electric motors will have more torque than a combustion engine and the lack of gears.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

Unber43

09 Jan 2023, 11:49 pm #54
(09 Jan 2023, 11:44 pm)Rapidsnap Perhaps the reason it's being used on the 97 is because it's quite a challenging route for an electric vehicle with numerous steep hill climbs and the potential to regenerate energy when it goes back down a hill. It's hill starting ability on Lobley Hill this morning was certainly impressive, better than any fuel powered vehicle, but then again electric motors will have more torque than a combustion engine and the lack of gears.
Not a bad idea, it seems like a decent bus. However for it does just have 39 seats, which is practically the same as the Common Optare Versas which GNE use, with 1.2m shorter (presumably its 12m). 

I think it would be ideal on possibly the 4, 28/29, 12, also the 35 (as it used to have citaros)
Unber43
09 Jan 2023, 11:49 pm #54

(09 Jan 2023, 11:44 pm)Rapidsnap Perhaps the reason it's being used on the 97 is because it's quite a challenging route for an electric vehicle with numerous steep hill climbs and the potential to regenerate energy when it goes back down a hill. It's hill starting ability on Lobley Hill this morning was certainly impressive, better than any fuel powered vehicle, but then again electric motors will have more torque than a combustion engine and the lack of gears.
Not a bad idea, it seems like a decent bus. However for it does just have 39 seats, which is practically the same as the Common Optare Versas which GNE use, with 1.2m shorter (presumably its 12m). 

I think it would be ideal on possibly the 4, 28/29, 12, also the 35 (as it used to have citaros)

09 Jan 2023, 11:50 pm #55

Assuming they have decent enough regen, it would be just about equivalent to driving the same distance on level ground. So, for a hilly route an EV would be perfect.
streetdeckfan
09 Jan 2023, 11:50 pm #55

Assuming they have decent enough regen, it would be just about equivalent to driving the same distance on level ground. So, for a hilly route an EV would be perfect.

Unber43

09 Jan 2023, 11:56 pm #56
(09 Jan 2023, 11:50 pm)streetdeckfan Assuming they have decent enough regen, it would be just about equivalent to driving the same distance on level ground. So, for a hilly route an EV would be perfect.
There needs to be some sort of infrastructure in place such as fast chargings at stops e.g 

Newcastle/Gateshead/Metrocentre/Durham/Chester-Le-Street/Heworth/Washington Galleries/Sunderland/South Sheilds/Stanley/Consett however It seems GNE are going for the ability to plug in and charge but thats fine and great when its at the depot but routes such as X21/10's. As Im pretty sure you have the ability to charge 0-80% in like 7/8 mins in Germany and other european countries and layovers are regularly 5-10 mins charging even for 3 mins at Durham or smth would massively help but Im pretty sure you can only do that with overhead chargers and it doesn't seem like GNE is heading that way. 

Aswell you need to deal with them potentially being damaged however in the major bus stations wont/shouldn't be an issue however its locations such as possibly  Greenside/Brandon/Langley Park/Low Moorlsey where routes end after quite a long distance and then when they break it costs money.
Unber43
09 Jan 2023, 11:56 pm #56

(09 Jan 2023, 11:50 pm)streetdeckfan Assuming they have decent enough regen, it would be just about equivalent to driving the same distance on level ground. So, for a hilly route an EV would be perfect.
There needs to be some sort of infrastructure in place such as fast chargings at stops e.g 

Newcastle/Gateshead/Metrocentre/Durham/Chester-Le-Street/Heworth/Washington Galleries/Sunderland/South Sheilds/Stanley/Consett however It seems GNE are going for the ability to plug in and charge but thats fine and great when its at the depot but routes such as X21/10's. As Im pretty sure you have the ability to charge 0-80% in like 7/8 mins in Germany and other european countries and layovers are regularly 5-10 mins charging even for 3 mins at Durham or smth would massively help but Im pretty sure you can only do that with overhead chargers and it doesn't seem like GNE is heading that way. 

Aswell you need to deal with them potentially being damaged however in the major bus stations wont/shouldn't be an issue however its locations such as possibly  Greenside/Brandon/Langley Park/Low Moorlsey where routes end after quite a long distance and then when they break it costs money.

10 Jan 2023, 12:17 am #57
(09 Jan 2023, 11:56 pm)Unber43 There needs to be some sort of infrastructure in place such as fast chargings at stops e.g 

Where would they get the power from though? It's not as simple as just whacking a charger in at a stop.

If they charge over the CCS connector, and pull the maximum amount of power (which you would want to for the fastest speeds), then it would be the equivalent of having 15 houses maxing out their connections (CCS maximum charge rate is 350kW, a typical house with a 100A connection can pull around 24kW before blowing the fuse).

As for the fast charging you suggest, I'm guessing to achieve a 0-80% charge time of 8 minutes they have very small batteries and they just charge them more often.

A 0-80% charge in 8 minutes with either the Yutong or eCitaro would require a charge rate of around 3.6MW, to put that into perspective, Kielder Water can generate around 6MW.
streetdeckfan
10 Jan 2023, 12:17 am #57

(09 Jan 2023, 11:56 pm)Unber43 There needs to be some sort of infrastructure in place such as fast chargings at stops e.g 

Where would they get the power from though? It's not as simple as just whacking a charger in at a stop.

If they charge over the CCS connector, and pull the maximum amount of power (which you would want to for the fastest speeds), then it would be the equivalent of having 15 houses maxing out their connections (CCS maximum charge rate is 350kW, a typical house with a 100A connection can pull around 24kW before blowing the fuse).

As for the fast charging you suggest, I'm guessing to achieve a 0-80% charge time of 8 minutes they have very small batteries and they just charge them more often.

A 0-80% charge in 8 minutes with either the Yutong or eCitaro would require a charge rate of around 3.6MW, to put that into perspective, Kielder Water can generate around 6MW.

Unber43

10 Jan 2023, 12:26 am #58
(10 Jan 2023, 12:17 am)streetdeckfan Where would they get the power from though? It's not as simple as just whacking a charger in at a stop.

Pretty sure Germany manages it pretty sure that is with eCitaros which have a range of 200KM. 

In the UK we dont have the infrastructure for electric cars and the GOV aren't in a hurry to sort that out, So I cant imagine their will be any grants for this type of stuff, unless its in London.
Unber43
10 Jan 2023, 12:26 am #58

(10 Jan 2023, 12:17 am)streetdeckfan Where would they get the power from though? It's not as simple as just whacking a charger in at a stop.

Pretty sure Germany manages it pretty sure that is with eCitaros which have a range of 200KM. 

In the UK we dont have the infrastructure for electric cars and the GOV aren't in a hurry to sort that out, So I cant imagine their will be any grants for this type of stuff, unless its in London.

10 Jan 2023, 12:34 am #59
(10 Jan 2023, 12:26 am)Unber43 Pretty sure Germany manages it pretty sure that is with eCitaros which have a range of 200KM. 

While I'm happy to be proven wrong, I highly doubt a bus with a 200km range could be charged in that time. In fact, I'd go as far as saying with current technology, it's nigh on physically impossible.
streetdeckfan
10 Jan 2023, 12:34 am #59

(10 Jan 2023, 12:26 am)Unber43 Pretty sure Germany manages it pretty sure that is with eCitaros which have a range of 200KM. 

While I'm happy to be proven wrong, I highly doubt a bus with a 200km range could be charged in that time. In fact, I'd go as far as saying with current technology, it's nigh on physically impossible.

10 Jan 2023, 7:32 am #60
A lot of roadside charging facilities for buses only top up the battery rather than fully recharge it. At least that how it works at Harrogate, the buses come in to the bus station, goes on the required stand and sits for 5 mins or so taken on juice from the charger.

Rapidsnap
10 Jan 2023, 7:32 am #60

A lot of roadside charging facilities for buses only top up the battery rather than fully recharge it. At least that how it works at Harrogate, the buses come in to the bus station, goes on the required stand and sits for 5 mins or so taken on juice from the charger.

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average