Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Tyne & Wear Metro Service Suggestions

Tyne & Wear Metro Service Suggestions

Tyne & Wear Metro Service Suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
27 May 2013, 6:28 pm #1
Feel free to post any service suggestions for the Metro Idea
daniel p
27 May 2013, 6:28 pm #1

Feel free to post any service suggestions for the Metro Idea

Andreos1

27 May 2013, 7:17 pm #2
In an ideal world, we would love to see it extended, but it isnt going to happen anytime soon.

Ignoring all obstructions etc, I would love to see a line connecting the South Shields and Sunderland tracks as well as a link between the airport and coast lines, so that the changes of trains at South Gosforth and Pelaw are eliminated.
Andreos1
27 May 2013, 7:17 pm #2

In an ideal world, we would love to see it extended, but it isnt going to happen anytime soon.

Ignoring all obstructions etc, I would love to see a line connecting the South Shields and Sunderland tracks as well as a link between the airport and coast lines, so that the changes of trains at South Gosforth and Pelaw are eliminated.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

27 May 2013, 7:52 pm #3
as well as a link between the airport and coast lines

The infrastructure for this is already in place, probably not suitable for regular long-term passenger movements though. There is a depot avoiding line around the back of the Gosforth cars sheds. Flickr user "metromadme" has some photos here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metromadme/...3319689652

Probably one of the best Metro Flickr sets I've ever seen, well worth a look through.

This was the press-release from Nexus at the time of the special Airport - St James service:

SUNDAY METRO SERVICES SUSPENDED FOR ESSENTIAL ENGINEERING WORKS (23/10/2003)

Metro services on a stretch of line between Regent Centre / Longbenton and Haymarket are to be suspended all day on the next three Sundays to allow operator Nexus to carry out essential engineering work.

Service will be suspended on Sunday October 26, Sunday November 2, and Sunday November 9, 2003.

The services affected will be those between Regent Centre / Longbenton and Haymarket.

Replacement bus services, which will all accept Metro tickets, will operate during the suspension of Metro services to ensure passengers are able to undertake their journey.

Some of the buses on the replacement service will be low-floor, easy access buses to ensure the needs of mobility impaired passengers and those with pushchairs are met.

However, passengers should note that only folding prams / pushchairs will be allowed on the buses.

The replacement bus services will operate as follows:

SERVICE 900 (All day)
This replacement bus service will run, stopping near ALL Stations en-route between Regent Centre and Haymarket.

SERVICE 901 (9.30 to 18.00 approximately)
This replacement bus service will run non stop DIRECT via North Road between Regent Centre and Haymarket.

Passengers wishing to travel to/from North Tyneside area are advised to travel via Wallsend.

However, you also have the option to use the bus replacement services from Regent Centre to travel via ALL Stations or DIRECT towards Newcastle.

Last bus from Haymarket connecting with Metro at Regent Centre to Airport departs 2302

Last bus from Haymarket connecting with Metro at Regent Centre to Benton departs 2317

Last bus from Regent Centre connecting with Metro at Haymarket to Sunderland departs 2245

Last bus from Regent Centre connecting with Metro at Haymarket to South Shields departs 2252

Last bus from Regent Centre connecting with Metro at Haymarket to Pelaw departs 2307

METRO SERVICE

Some Metro services will operate, as follows:

A Special Timetable will operate between Airport and St James via Longbenton. Normal timetables will operate between Haymarket and South Hylton/South Shields with some minor changes.

Nexus is urging passengers to allow extra time for their journey and buy their ticket for their destination from a Metro ticket machine in the normal way.

Nexus apologises to passengers for any inconvenience the suspension of some Metro services may cause but reminds passengers that the work is essential to the ongoing operation of the Metro.

Nexus is undertaking the work on Sundays in order to minimise disruption.

Passengers can get further public transport information by calling Traveline on 0870 608 2 608.

Source - http://web.archive.org/web/2004022409135...NewsID=349
NEB Admin Team
27 May 2013, 7:52 pm #3

as well as a link between the airport and coast lines

The infrastructure for this is already in place, probably not suitable for regular long-term passenger movements though. There is a depot avoiding line around the back of the Gosforth cars sheds. Flickr user "metromadme" has some photos here.

Probably one of the best Metro Flickr sets I've ever seen, well worth a look through.

This was the press-release from Nexus at the time of the special Airport - St James service:

SUNDAY METRO SERVICES SUSPENDED FOR ESSENTIAL ENGINEERING WORKS (23/10/2003)

Metro services on a stretch of line between Regent Centre / Longbenton and Haymarket are to be suspended all day on the next three Sundays to allow operator Nexus to carry out essential engineering work.

Service will be suspended on Sunday October 26, Sunday November 2, and Sunday November 9, 2003.

The services affected will be those between Regent Centre / Longbenton and Haymarket.

Replacement bus services, which will all accept Metro tickets, will operate during the suspension of Metro services to ensure passengers are able to undertake their journey.

Some of the buses on the replacement service will be low-floor, easy access buses to ensure the needs of mobility impaired passengers and those with pushchairs are met.

However, passengers should note that only folding prams / pushchairs will be allowed on the buses.

The replacement bus services will operate as follows:

SERVICE 900 (All day)
This replacement bus service will run, stopping near ALL Stations en-route between Regent Centre and Haymarket.

SERVICE 901 (9.30 to 18.00 approximately)
This replacement bus service will run non stop DIRECT via North Road between Regent Centre and Haymarket.

Passengers wishing to travel to/from North Tyneside area are advised to travel via Wallsend.

However, you also have the option to use the bus replacement services from Regent Centre to travel via ALL Stations or DIRECT towards Newcastle.

Last bus from Haymarket connecting with Metro at Regent Centre to Airport departs 2302

Last bus from Haymarket connecting with Metro at Regent Centre to Benton departs 2317

Last bus from Regent Centre connecting with Metro at Haymarket to Sunderland departs 2245

Last bus from Regent Centre connecting with Metro at Haymarket to South Shields departs 2252

Last bus from Regent Centre connecting with Metro at Haymarket to Pelaw departs 2307

METRO SERVICE

Some Metro services will operate, as follows:

A Special Timetable will operate between Airport and St James via Longbenton. Normal timetables will operate between Haymarket and South Hylton/South Shields with some minor changes.

Nexus is urging passengers to allow extra time for their journey and buy their ticket for their destination from a Metro ticket machine in the normal way.

Nexus apologises to passengers for any inconvenience the suspension of some Metro services may cause but reminds passengers that the work is essential to the ongoing operation of the Metro.

Nexus is undertaking the work on Sundays in order to minimise disruption.

Passengers can get further public transport information by calling Traveline on 0870 608 2 608.

Source - http://web.archive.org/web/2004022409135...NewsID=349

cbma06

27 May 2013, 7:52 pm #4
I think the next extensions will be getting the south hylton to pelaw done, but need railtrack to play ball and there also hoped the new train factory would use the line also , nexus cant fund it just by themselves, the next easy one will be the old line between east boldon and tyne dock unless theres houses built on that old section

cbma06
27 May 2013, 7:52 pm #4

I think the next extensions will be getting the south hylton to pelaw done, but need railtrack to play ball and there also hoped the new train factory would use the line also , nexus cant fund it just by themselves, the next easy one will be the old line between east boldon and tyne dock unless theres houses built on that old section

Adrian

27 May 2013, 8:16 pm #5
(27 May 2013, 7:52 pm)cbma06 I think the next extensions will be getting the south hylton to pelaw done, but need railtrack to play ball and there also hoped the new train factory would use the line also , nexus cant fund it just by themselves, the next easy one will be the old line between east boldon and tyne dock unless theres houses built on that old section

It's looking more and more unlikely by the day unfortunately Sad the line behind the new estate at Penshaw has been taken up over the past few month, so there's even less track there now. Even if the track was there, it runs extremely close to the said estate, which could potentially carry a lot of objections if a case for reopening was presented.

It's always struck me that Metro alone wouldn't be a business case to get the line reopened though. Two things I've thought of that would certainly push the business case are;

1. Nissan - Create a really short freight line (or even loop) from the dual track between Usworth and Barmston, linking to the Nissan plant.
  2. Follingsby - Build a new freight depot, or work with existing couriers in the area (Citylink, Parcelforce, etc) to create a small freight network linking on to the mainline.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 May 2013, 8:16 pm #5

(27 May 2013, 7:52 pm)cbma06 I think the next extensions will be getting the south hylton to pelaw done, but need railtrack to play ball and there also hoped the new train factory would use the line also , nexus cant fund it just by themselves, the next easy one will be the old line between east boldon and tyne dock unless theres houses built on that old section

It's looking more and more unlikely by the day unfortunately Sad the line behind the new estate at Penshaw has been taken up over the past few month, so there's even less track there now. Even if the track was there, it runs extremely close to the said estate, which could potentially carry a lot of objections if a case for reopening was presented.

It's always struck me that Metro alone wouldn't be a business case to get the line reopened though. Two things I've thought of that would certainly push the business case are;

1. Nissan - Create a really short freight line (or even loop) from the dual track between Usworth and Barmston, linking to the Nissan plant.
  2. Follingsby - Build a new freight depot, or work with existing couriers in the area (Citylink, Parcelforce, etc) to create a small freight network linking on to the mainline.

cbma06

29 May 2013, 2:45 pm #6
(27 May 2013, 8:16 pm)aureolin

I don't think there would be able to use the existing track anyways as there havn't been maintained and have subsidence under the track, new houses with owners that are built next to disused lines would of been told before purchase that the line could be re activated in years to come, its only because BR/Railtrack sold the land close by to the rails, wasn't the government a couple of years ago stepped in to stop land being purchased next to railway lines.

Doesn't take much for Nissan to purchase land right next to leamside line in Washington and build a unit to take the cars etc.. by rail to the the port.

Wasn't it the government wanted the freight of the rails and onto roads in the first place.

If the leamside was open it would present a case for the Metro loop (In which Nexus wanted in the first place), Nissan Goods, Hitachi factory goods, secondly emergency line in something happens around Birtley area instead or re route through Sunderland.

cbma06
29 May 2013, 2:45 pm #6

(27 May 2013, 8:16 pm)aureolin

I don't think there would be able to use the existing track anyways as there havn't been maintained and have subsidence under the track, new houses with owners that are built next to disused lines would of been told before purchase that the line could be re activated in years to come, its only because BR/Railtrack sold the land close by to the rails, wasn't the government a couple of years ago stepped in to stop land being purchased next to railway lines.

Doesn't take much for Nissan to purchase land right next to leamside line in Washington and build a unit to take the cars etc.. by rail to the the port.

Wasn't it the government wanted the freight of the rails and onto roads in the first place.

If the leamside was open it would present a case for the Metro loop (In which Nexus wanted in the first place), Nissan Goods, Hitachi factory goods, secondly emergency line in something happens around Birtley area instead or re route through Sunderland.

Andreos1

29 May 2013, 3:47 pm #7
At Penshaw, the land where the houses have been built was an old Northern Electric maintenance depot. There are huge swathes of land there and further south in particular which has housing on and has done for a long time (some pre-dating closure of the line)
Andreos1
29 May 2013, 3:47 pm #7

At Penshaw, the land where the houses have been built was an old Northern Electric maintenance depot. There are huge swathes of land there and further south in particular which has housing on and has done for a long time (some pre-dating closure of the line)

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2013, 5:36 pm #8
I'm having bad memories of my practice Duke of Edinburgh award here... I foolishly led my group down the disused Leamside line.
To say our feet hurt off all the rocks was an understatement!

Back on-topic:
Isn't part of that line right next to a county border? If Nexus are T&W orientated, would they go into County Durham on that line?
Dan
29 May 2013, 5:36 pm #8

I'm having bad memories of my practice Duke of Edinburgh award here... I foolishly led my group down the disused Leamside line.

Back on-topic:
Isn't part of that line right next to a county border? If Nexus are T&W orientated, would they go into County Durham on that line?

cbma06

29 May 2013, 6:17 pm #9
(29 May 2013, 5:36 pm)Daniel I'm having bad memories of my practice Duke of Edinburgh award here... I foolishly led my group down the disused Leamside line.

Back on-topic:

Yes, it goes through Fence Houses further down after Penshaw, after Fence Houses it used to have a station at Leamside then it used to fork out, to the right to go to Durham, or to the left to Ferryhill.

I tell you what ive got numerous of maps of the old railway lines, I scan one and send it to northeastbus website and see if Brandon can put it up on here
Edited 29 May 2013, 6:23 pm by cbma06.

cbma06
29 May 2013, 6:17 pm #9

(29 May 2013, 5:36 pm)Daniel I'm having bad memories of my practice Duke of Edinburgh award here... I foolishly led my group down the disused Leamside line.

Back on-topic:

Yes, it goes through Fence Houses further down after Penshaw, after Fence Houses it used to have a station at Leamside then it used to fork out, to the right to go to Durham, or to the left to Ferryhill.

I tell you what ive got numerous of maps of the old railway lines, I scan one and send it to northeastbus website and see if Brandon can put it up on here

Adrian

29 May 2013, 6:25 pm #10
The line forks out just after the Viaduct. One part goes along the river to South Hylton, the other forking over the A182 and alongside the Lambton Estate, before heading off down Leamside.

Adrian
29 May 2013, 6:25 pm #10

The line forks out just after the Viaduct. One part goes along the river to South Hylton, the other forking over the A182 and alongside the Lambton Estate, before heading off down Leamside.

cbma06

29 May 2013, 6:36 pm #11
(29 May 2013, 6:25 pm)aureolin The line forks out just after the Viaduct. One part goes along the river to South Hylton, the other forking over the A182 and alongside the Lambton Estate, before heading off down Leamside.

Some good photos of the leamside line in the below link:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=leamside%20line

cbma06
29 May 2013, 6:36 pm #11

(29 May 2013, 6:25 pm)aureolin The line forks out just after the Viaduct. One part goes along the river to South Hylton, the other forking over the A182 and alongside the Lambton Estate, before heading off down Leamside.

Some good photos of the leamside line in the below link:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=leamside%20line

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2013, 6:55 pm #12
cbma06 has kindly scanned a leaflet he possesses showing a map of the old railway lines and shared it with North East Buses. This has been temporarily added as an attachment to this post - I'll leave it to Brandon to decide whether he wants to also add it to the archive too or not! Wink

Please see attached image for said map.
.jpg
IMG.jpg
Size 4.45 MB / Downloads 61
Dan
29 May 2013, 6:55 pm #12

cbma06 has kindly scanned a leaflet he possesses showing a map of the old railway lines and shared it with North East Buses. This has been temporarily added as an attachment to this post - I'll leave it to Brandon to decide whether he wants to also add it to the archive too or not! Wink

Please see attached image for said map.

.jpg
IMG.jpg
Size 4.45 MB / Downloads 61

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

29 May 2013, 7:13 pm #13
Now archived Wink

United and British Railways
NEB Admin Team
29 May 2013, 7:13 pm #13

Now archived Wink

United and British Railways

Adrian

29 May 2013, 7:19 pm #14
That map is great. Thanks for sharing. I used to walk across the Viaduct quite a bit when I was still at school, as I had family living up Penshaw way. I tend not to walk across so often now, but it's quite a depressing sight I find.

Adrian
29 May 2013, 7:19 pm #14

That map is great. Thanks for sharing. I used to walk across the Viaduct quite a bit when I was still at school, as I had family living up Penshaw way. I tend not to walk across so often now, but it's quite a depressing sight I find.

Andreos1

29 May 2013, 9:09 pm #15
Im on my phone at the mo, so cant see the map, but will have a good look at it.

The county border runs south from the Washington Highway/Lambton Estate as far as roughly Rainton Meadows - Tyne & Wear being to the East and Durham to the west. Road crossing points carrying 'Welcome to' Co Durham/Sunderland are on the A183 bridge just past the old Lambton Garden Centre, Fencehouses Crossing and the bridge off Blackie Boy Road at Chilton Moor.

The metro could go as far as Fencehouses in the south staying in Tyne & Wear (depending where they site a station), but there is the possibility to go on the line from South Hylton and go right over the viaduct as mentioned earlier.
Andreos1
29 May 2013, 9:09 pm #15

Im on my phone at the mo, so cant see the map, but will have a good look at it.

The county border runs south from the Washington Highway/Lambton Estate as far as roughly Rainton Meadows - Tyne & Wear being to the East and Durham to the west. Road crossing points carrying 'Welcome to' Co Durham/Sunderland are on the A183 bridge just past the old Lambton Garden Centre, Fencehouses Crossing and the bridge off Blackie Boy Road at Chilton Moor.

The metro could go as far as Fencehouses in the south staying in Tyne & Wear (depending where they site a station), but there is the possibility to go on the line from South Hylton and go right over the viaduct as mentioned earlier.

BusStop

02 Jun 2013, 8:03 pm #16
Leamside Line

Lets think here. The line is not going to run into central Washington.

Station 1

So I think P+R is the answer here. Somewhere between the Travelodge at the A194M and A184 interchange and Follingsby Lane overbridge. Ideal for traffic coming from south of Chester Le Street and up the A19. No traffic queues, relatively easy commute.

Station 2

Somewhere between A1290 and A1231 next to Nissan. Well, you have Nissan but it has great access into Washington. Any P+R ideal for local residents around the area.

The branch is short and covers some of the largest areas. Station 3 and 4 could follow but with Station 1 and 2, we have an amazing line in place

Type of trains

It's funny, everyone jumps to the Metro but is that the best situation. Would a direct train into Newcastle Central be the best. Could Gateshead rejoin the National Rail network (could something be installed to the east of Gateshead near Parklane and Gateshead Stadium). Could 25kV be extended to here?
BusStop
02 Jun 2013, 8:03 pm #16

Leamside Line

Lets think here. The line is not going to run into central Washington.

Station 1

So I think P+R is the answer here. Somewhere between the Travelodge at the A194M and A184 interchange and Follingsby Lane overbridge. Ideal for traffic coming from south of Chester Le Street and up the A19. No traffic queues, relatively easy commute.

Station 2

Somewhere between A1290 and A1231 next to Nissan. Well, you have Nissan but it has great access into Washington. Any P+R ideal for local residents around the area.

The branch is short and covers some of the largest areas. Station 3 and 4 could follow but with Station 1 and 2, we have an amazing line in place

Type of trains

It's funny, everyone jumps to the Metro but is that the best situation. Would a direct train into Newcastle Central be the best. Could Gateshead rejoin the National Rail network (could something be installed to the east of Gateshead near Parklane and Gateshead Stadium). Could 25kV be extended to here?

Andreos1

02 Jun 2013, 9:42 pm #17
Im guessing you havent tried getting from Chester le Street towards Whitemare Pool during the morning rush hour?
There are tailbacks at Washington Services and traffic can get back beyond the Follingsby junction on the A194. It would potentially be as quick going to the P&R at Heworth on some mornings.

We all know the line will never go into central Washington. The only way it could, would be for an extention to be built from the Leamside Line towards the Galleries and have a load of housing demolished at the same time.
Andreos1
02 Jun 2013, 9:42 pm #17

Im guessing you havent tried getting from Chester le Street towards Whitemare Pool during the morning rush hour?
There are tailbacks at Washington Services and traffic can get back beyond the Follingsby junction on the A194. It would potentially be as quick going to the P&R at Heworth on some mornings.

We all know the line will never go into central Washington. The only way it could, would be for an extention to be built from the Leamside Line towards the Galleries and have a load of housing demolished at the same time.

Malarkey

03 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm #18
This is very Interesting, personally I would love the metro to come into Central Washington, but it'll never happen I don't think although it could work in one simple way which would avoid demolishing houses.

And that solution would be ..... A Tram System from the line that runs along the back of Barmston, resulting in digging up the road to put in the lines between Barmston via JFK School (W5/W6/M2/M3 Route) and then round and through Glebe and have it finish on the Bus Link in between the Leisure Centre and the Police Station

or alternatively

Have it finish on that big bit of field next to the Walk In Centre. It could work but it would also result in the remodernisation of the Metro System and all of it's Station and also the type of train it would use.

Thing is this would cost A.) Millions of Pounds B.) Would take Years to do after applying for Grants etc and the time it takes to rebuild.

And C.) Would the Public in the Area Use it.
Now here is the other problem is the Go North East as they operate services Every 10 Minutes to Newcastle/Gateshead/Sunderland and Heworth which gives excellent connections to Major Areas where the Metro already serves.

So really does Washington need the T&W Metro System or is it the exact opposite and the T&W Metro needs Washington to help it make more money.

Like I said at the Start of this Post as much as I would like to see it happen I don't think it ever will.
Malarkey
03 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm #18

This is very Interesting, personally I would love the metro to come into Central Washington, but it'll never happen I don't think although it could work in one simple way which would avoid demolishing houses.

And that solution would be ..... A Tram System from the line that runs along the back of Barmston, resulting in digging up the road to put in the lines between Barmston via JFK School (W5/W6/M2/M3 Route) and then round and through Glebe and have it finish on the Bus Link in between the Leisure Centre and the Police Station

or alternatively

Have it finish on that big bit of field next to the Walk In Centre. It could work but it would also result in the remodernisation of the Metro System and all of it's Station and also the type of train it would use.

Thing is this would cost A.) Millions of Pounds B.) Would take Years to do after applying for Grants etc and the time it takes to rebuild.

And C.) Would the Public in the Area Use it.
Now here is the other problem is the Go North East as they operate services Every 10 Minutes to Newcastle/Gateshead/Sunderland and Heworth which gives excellent connections to Major Areas where the Metro already serves.

So really does Washington need the T&W Metro System or is it the exact opposite and the T&W Metro needs Washington to help it make more money.

Like I said at the Start of this Post as much as I would like to see it happen I don't think it ever will.

Andreos1

03 Jun 2013, 4:30 pm #19
The only reason there is such a frequent service to Heworth, is because of the lack of a railway into Washington and the remnants of pre-regulation services which obviously make GNE money.

If a station was built in Washington (it would need to be upto an interchange standard), then the chances are buses will end up going there just as frequently OR GNE would up the ante and provide quicker, faster buses to Newcastle in competition.

Looking at the bigger picture, if the Nexus QCS came into fruitition, then they probably would integrate all services and link them to the metro at various points.

A station at Nissan would be a given - probably at the Sulgrave crossing. Im not sure about anything further North, but there would need to be something near Peel Retail Park/Barmston and on the site of the old Washington Station.
If it continued south over the viaduct to Sunderland, Im not sure where the next station before South Hylton would be due to the lack of housing and employment near the line.
Andreos1
03 Jun 2013, 4:30 pm #19

The only reason there is such a frequent service to Heworth, is because of the lack of a railway into Washington and the remnants of pre-regulation services which obviously make GNE money.

If a station was built in Washington (it would need to be upto an interchange standard), then the chances are buses will end up going there just as frequently OR GNE would up the ante and provide quicker, faster buses to Newcastle in competition.

Looking at the bigger picture, if the Nexus QCS came into fruitition, then they probably would integrate all services and link them to the metro at various points.

A station at Nissan would be a given - probably at the Sulgrave crossing. Im not sure about anything further North, but there would need to be something near Peel Retail Park/Barmston and on the site of the old Washington Station.
If it continued south over the viaduct to Sunderland, Im not sure where the next station before South Hylton would be due to the lack of housing and employment near the line.

Adrian

03 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm #20
(03 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm)Adam Malarkey Have it finish on that big bit of field next to the Walk In Centre. It could work but it would also result in the remodernisation of the Metro System and all of it's Station and also the type of train it would use.

The new leisure centre is going there mate.

Adrian
03 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm #20

(03 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm)Adam Malarkey Have it finish on that big bit of field next to the Walk In Centre. It could work but it would also result in the remodernisation of the Metro System and all of it's Station and also the type of train it would use.

The new leisure centre is going there mate.

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average