Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Disruptions and driver shortages

Disruptions and driver shortages

Disruptions and driver shortages

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (103) Previous 1 2 3 4103 Next
Andreos1

07 Sep 2021, 8:00 pm #41
(07 Sep 2021, 7:57 pm)streetdeckfan Yeah, the new Arriva app is fairly buggy, but for me closing it and reopening it usually solves the problem. At least the M-tickets seem to work even if the app is borked.

I like the idea of push notifications, but I think that would be fairly difficult to implement without irritating people. I think obviously it would have to require people to 'subscribe' to notificaitons for a particular route, but would I have to set it up in the morning before I leave, deactivate it once I get to wherever to stop me getting notified throughout the day when I'm probably busy, then reactivate it before I leave?

I think a better, simpler option would be to basically copy what Arriva does, and just show on the live times if a bus is delayed or cancelled, rather than just updating the time and pretending it's running to timetable, or just removing the service and pretending it doesn't exist! 

You're right, NEXUS did (and I believe still does) have NFC tags at stops, but last time I tried they didn't work at all. They didn't even direct me to a dead link, they literally did nothing.

I reckon those push messages could easily have a time-out function, which then restricts how long the notifications were sent.

Bib: assuming punters have the app or the phone to do so, then yes. I agree.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Sep 2021, 8:00 pm #41

(07 Sep 2021, 7:57 pm)streetdeckfan Yeah, the new Arriva app is fairly buggy, but for me closing it and reopening it usually solves the problem. At least the M-tickets seem to work even if the app is borked.

I like the idea of push notifications, but I think that would be fairly difficult to implement without irritating people. I think obviously it would have to require people to 'subscribe' to notificaitons for a particular route, but would I have to set it up in the morning before I leave, deactivate it once I get to wherever to stop me getting notified throughout the day when I'm probably busy, then reactivate it before I leave?

I think a better, simpler option would be to basically copy what Arriva does, and just show on the live times if a bus is delayed or cancelled, rather than just updating the time and pretending it's running to timetable, or just removing the service and pretending it doesn't exist! 

You're right, NEXUS did (and I believe still does) have NFC tags at stops, but last time I tried they didn't work at all. They didn't even direct me to a dead link, they literally did nothing.

I reckon those push messages could easily have a time-out function, which then restricts how long the notifications were sent.

Bib: assuming punters have the app or the phone to do so, then yes. I agree.

mb134

07 Sep 2021, 8:03 pm #42
(07 Sep 2021, 8:00 pm)Andreos1 I reckon those push messages could easily have a time-out function, which then restricts how long the notifications were sent.

You'd like to think they'd be able to code it so that the notifications could be set up something like:

- Notify if service "X" is delayed by more than "x" minutes/cancelled between 07:00 and 09:00, and 16:00 and 18:00 (changable via the end user to their commuting times).
mb134
07 Sep 2021, 8:03 pm #42

(07 Sep 2021, 8:00 pm)Andreos1 I reckon those push messages could easily have a time-out function, which then restricts how long the notifications were sent.

You'd like to think they'd be able to code it so that the notifications could be set up something like:

- Notify if service "X" is delayed by more than "x" minutes/cancelled between 07:00 and 09:00, and 16:00 and 18:00 (changable via the end user to their commuting times).

07 Sep 2021, 8:14 pm #43
While we're on the subject of the GNE app, here's the biggest thing that I really hate about the app.
If I'm on a bus, how the f do I find out what time that bus gets to it's destination?

On the old app I could simply tap on the bus on the map and it would tell me what the service is and show the live times for it. Now, if I tap on the bus it just tells me that the bus is quiet and it has tables and WiFi!
Am I expected to find the next stop on the map, tap that, tap the bus that I'm on and then see what time it gets to my destination, or am I just missing something?
streetdeckfan
07 Sep 2021, 8:14 pm #43

While we're on the subject of the GNE app, here's the biggest thing that I really hate about the app.
If I'm on a bus, how the f do I find out what time that bus gets to it's destination?

On the old app I could simply tap on the bus on the map and it would tell me what the service is and show the live times for it. Now, if I tap on the bus it just tells me that the bus is quiet and it has tables and WiFi!
Am I expected to find the next stop on the map, tap that, tap the bus that I'm on and then see what time it gets to my destination, or am I just missing something?

Adrian

07 Sep 2021, 8:17 pm #44
(07 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm)Andreos1 Assuming the passengers use social media, then yes, I would agree.
If not, then not at all.
The 'transparency' for those people without social media won't have a clue and there's absolutely no transparency as far as they're concerned.

It's an age old problem. One I'd have hoped would have been resolved by now.

Arguably operators have improved the situation by using social media, or publishing cancellations in the app like Arriva (as Streetdeckfan pointed out), but as I mentioned in another thread, its important that communication is accessible to all.

One of the best schemes I've seen in action (outside of London) is the RTPI system in Brighton. Where there's real partnership between the operators and local authority, working in the best interests of the customers. That being said, I'd say Brighton are a forward thinking authority, whereas it often feels that Nexus are waiting for the computer to be invented. Their own RTPI screens, which are dated and limited, hadn't even been updated for Sunday's service changes.

There's plenty operators can do, like ensuring their own app reports disruption, customisable push notifications or even ensuring their customer service are available outside of the 70s concept of 'office hours', but ultimately they're not responsible for putting infrastructure on the streets.

(07 Sep 2021, 7:51 pm)mb134 The best examples I've had of this are at Haymarket where the (I assume Jesmond based) Arriva supervisor has informed passengers of delays, cancellations, or alternative plans (e.g an X15 has been spun at Regent Centre and will wait there, get on the next X21/22 and the X15 will be expecting you). Far more direct than a post on Twitter and having to figure it out yourself, and also more accessible. Granted though, only possible at major bus stations where staffing allows.

Do Arriva still have a supervisor at Haymarket, out of interest? I haven't seen anyone when I've been in there lately, which is much the same as any other Tyne and Wear bus station. Although the guy that's normally at the Metrocentre was in the last time I was there.

Face to face communication on disruption is obviously great, and I'd say a must at any bus station, but sadly Nexus decided to axe the last 6 Travel Shops during a pandemic. I think that means we don't have a single travel shop left in the region.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Sep 2021, 8:17 pm #44

(07 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm)Andreos1 Assuming the passengers use social media, then yes, I would agree.
If not, then not at all.
The 'transparency' for those people without social media won't have a clue and there's absolutely no transparency as far as they're concerned.

It's an age old problem. One I'd have hoped would have been resolved by now.

Arguably operators have improved the situation by using social media, or publishing cancellations in the app like Arriva (as Streetdeckfan pointed out), but as I mentioned in another thread, its important that communication is accessible to all.

One of the best schemes I've seen in action (outside of London) is the RTPI system in Brighton. Where there's real partnership between the operators and local authority, working in the best interests of the customers. That being said, I'd say Brighton are a forward thinking authority, whereas it often feels that Nexus are waiting for the computer to be invented. Their own RTPI screens, which are dated and limited, hadn't even been updated for Sunday's service changes.

There's plenty operators can do, like ensuring their own app reports disruption, customisable push notifications or even ensuring their customer service are available outside of the 70s concept of 'office hours', but ultimately they're not responsible for putting infrastructure on the streets.

(07 Sep 2021, 7:51 pm)mb134 The best examples I've had of this are at Haymarket where the (I assume Jesmond based) Arriva supervisor has informed passengers of delays, cancellations, or alternative plans (e.g an X15 has been spun at Regent Centre and will wait there, get on the next X21/22 and the X15 will be expecting you). Far more direct than a post on Twitter and having to figure it out yourself, and also more accessible. Granted though, only possible at major bus stations where staffing allows.

Do Arriva still have a supervisor at Haymarket, out of interest? I haven't seen anyone when I've been in there lately, which is much the same as any other Tyne and Wear bus station. Although the guy that's normally at the Metrocentre was in the last time I was there.

Face to face communication on disruption is obviously great, and I'd say a must at any bus station, but sadly Nexus decided to axe the last 6 Travel Shops during a pandemic. I think that means we don't have a single travel shop left in the region.

mb134

07 Sep 2021, 8:19 pm #45
(07 Sep 2021, 8:14 pm)streetdeckfan While we're on the subject of the GNE app, here's the biggest thing that I really hate about the app.

Yep, whereas on bustimes you just find the bus on the map and the timetable is a click away.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a third party website in Bustimes shouldn't provide substantially better access to information than the operators app.

(07 Sep 2021, 8:17 pm)Adrian Do Arriva still have a supervisor at Haymarket, out of interest? I haven't seen anyone when I've been in there lately, which is much the same as any other Tyne and Wear bus station. Although the guy that's normally at the Metrocentre was in the last time I was there.

I saw people being redirected the other week while I was there (in a similar situation to the previous post), and one popped onto the bus to assist the driver into reverse around the same time, so I would assume so.

Think they may stay in the office until there is disruption they need to communicate, as everytime I've seen them they seem to emerge from nowhere to suddenly be telling folk how to get where they need to be.
Edited 07 Sep 2021, 8:22 pm by mb134.
mb134
07 Sep 2021, 8:19 pm #45

(07 Sep 2021, 8:14 pm)streetdeckfan While we're on the subject of the GNE app, here's the biggest thing that I really hate about the app.

Yep, whereas on bustimes you just find the bus on the map and the timetable is a click away.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a third party website in Bustimes shouldn't provide substantially better access to information than the operators app.

(07 Sep 2021, 8:17 pm)Adrian Do Arriva still have a supervisor at Haymarket, out of interest? I haven't seen anyone when I've been in there lately, which is much the same as any other Tyne and Wear bus station. Although the guy that's normally at the Metrocentre was in the last time I was there.

I saw people being redirected the other week while I was there (in a similar situation to the previous post), and one popped onto the bus to assist the driver into reverse around the same time, so I would assume so.

Think they may stay in the office until there is disruption they need to communicate, as everytime I've seen them they seem to emerge from nowhere to suddenly be telling folk how to get where they need to be.

07 Sep 2021, 8:22 pm #46
(07 Sep 2021, 8:19 pm)mb134 Yep, whereas on bustimes you just find the bus on the map and the timetable is a click away.

I thought as much, I thought I was missing something obvious!

I remember a couple apps ago they had a great feature where it would automatically work out (presumably by GPS) which bus you're on and give you the live info.
streetdeckfan
07 Sep 2021, 8:22 pm #46

(07 Sep 2021, 8:19 pm)mb134 Yep, whereas on bustimes you just find the bus on the map and the timetable is a click away.

I thought as much, I thought I was missing something obvious!

I remember a couple apps ago they had a great feature where it would automatically work out (presumably by GPS) which bus you're on and give you the live info.

ne14ne1

07 Sep 2021, 8:22 pm #47
Jesus my Twitter feed appears to be have taken over by GNE and their one hundred and one operational issues. They don’t seem to be having a good time.
ne14ne1
07 Sep 2021, 8:22 pm #47

Jesus my Twitter feed appears to be have taken over by GNE and their one hundred and one operational issues. They don’t seem to be having a good time.

mb134

07 Sep 2021, 8:27 pm #48

Having reset some permissions and cleared the cache, it's actually far better than I remember it being - and closer to the old one (though not displaying every bus, I guess this helps with data use?). I can only assume it's had a few major updates since the last time I tried to actually use it for anything more than a ticket.
mb134
07 Sep 2021, 8:27 pm #48

Having reset some permissions and cleared the cache, it's actually far better than I remember it being - and closer to the old one (though not displaying every bus, I guess this helps with data use?). I can only assume it's had a few major updates since the last time I tried to actually use it for anything more than a ticket.

Andreos1

07 Sep 2021, 8:37 pm #49
(07 Sep 2021, 8:22 pm)ne14ne1 Jesus my Twitter feed appears to be have taken over by GNE and their one hundred and one operational issues. They don’t seem to be having a good time.

They tweeting any earlier than 5mins before the bus is due?
Actually. Scrub that. https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1...09704?s=19 this one went out after it was due to depart.

Andreos1
07 Sep 2021, 8:37 pm #49

(07 Sep 2021, 8:22 pm)ne14ne1 Jesus my Twitter feed appears to be have taken over by GNE and their one hundred and one operational issues. They don’t seem to be having a good time.

They tweeting any earlier than 5mins before the bus is due?
Actually. Scrub that. https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1...09704?s=19 this one went out after it was due to depart.

DeltaMan

07 Sep 2021, 9:07 pm #50
Great Western Railway posted a news story a few weeks back when they had a problem on a specific Sunday with a mixture of stock and driver availability. The page listed every service which WASN'T covered in the days leading up to the Sunday and it was updated periodically over the the preceding days when trips were covered.

I wonder if GNE (or other operators for that matter) could do something similar as a "cards on the table" given the current Covid related difficulties.

At least customers would know there is a potential problem instead of not knowing until a few minutes before while controllers desperately try to get trips covered.
DeltaMan
07 Sep 2021, 9:07 pm #50

Great Western Railway posted a news story a few weeks back when they had a problem on a specific Sunday with a mixture of stock and driver availability. The page listed every service which WASN'T covered in the days leading up to the Sunday and it was updated periodically over the the preceding days when trips were covered.

I wonder if GNE (or other operators for that matter) could do something similar as a "cards on the table" given the current Covid related difficulties.

At least customers would know there is a potential problem instead of not knowing until a few minutes before while controllers desperately try to get trips covered.

07 Sep 2021, 9:11 pm #51
(07 Sep 2021, 9:07 pm)DeltaMan Great Western Railway posted a news story a few weeks back when they had a problem on a specific  Sunday with a mixture of stock and driver availability. The page listed every service which WASN'T covered in the days leading up to the Sunday and it was updated periodically over the the preceding days when trips were covered.

Covid difficulties ? This is Brexit in action. EU bus drivers have gone home.
Economic505
07 Sep 2021, 9:11 pm #51

(07 Sep 2021, 9:07 pm)DeltaMan Great Western Railway posted a news story a few weeks back when they had a problem on a specific  Sunday with a mixture of stock and driver availability. The page listed every service which WASN'T covered in the days leading up to the Sunday and it was updated periodically over the the preceding days when trips were covered.

Covid difficulties ? This is Brexit in action. EU bus drivers have gone home.

07 Sep 2021, 9:13 pm #52
Least the info being given now is better than it was 15 years ago or even about 5 years ago. Especially when it came to Megabus, you didn't know if your bus was going to show up or not, and your anxiety got worse when the departure time passed. These days you can track the vehicles and give yourself peace of mind, well providing the thing on the bus talks to the equipment gathering the location data.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
07 Sep 2021, 9:13 pm #52

Least the info being given now is better than it was 15 years ago or even about 5 years ago. Especially when it came to Megabus, you didn't know if your bus was going to show up or not, and your anxiety got worse when the departure time passed. These days you can track the vehicles and give yourself peace of mind, well providing the thing on the bus talks to the equipment gathering the location data.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

07 Sep 2021, 9:16 pm #53
These disruptions seem to be affecting Consett depot in particular.

Noticed that both the 20:42 and 21:42 78s from Consett to Sunderland have been cancelled which is effectively the last 2 buses gone leaving people stranded since 8pm. It’s likely their respective return journeys will be cancelled as well. Gotta feel rather sorry for those who have been waiting for a non existent bus or will be left stranded with no money for a taxi. So much for the £1 evening fare.
Adtrainsam
07 Sep 2021, 9:16 pm #53

These disruptions seem to be affecting Consett depot in particular.

Noticed that both the 20:42 and 21:42 78s from Consett to Sunderland have been cancelled which is effectively the last 2 buses gone leaving people stranded since 8pm. It’s likely their respective return journeys will be cancelled as well. Gotta feel rather sorry for those who have been waiting for a non existent bus or will be left stranded with no money for a taxi. So much for the £1 evening fare.

Rob44

08 Sep 2021, 7:30 am #54
(07 Sep 2021, 7:32 pm)streetdeckfan Totally agree.
I don't know about you, but even as a Twitter addict when I'm standing at a bus stop and the bus is late, the first thing I do isn't go to Twitter and search GNE's recent Tweets to see if they happened to have mentioned the service I'm waiting for, it's check the app, because I probably already had it open to either check the times or have my ticket.

Unfortunately, for those without a smartphone there's very little that GNE can do. I don't know how the backend works, but they could potentially try and get DCC and Nexus to update the displays at bus stations with live info (I doubt that would be possible).
I do like the idea of the E-ink displays they're trialling, but like everything else in the industry, those companies rolling it out are no doubt charing way over the odds for what is a very simple product, so I can't personally see it being rolled out to all bus stops, or even those in 'key' areas to be honest.

Im sure the times on the boards at Haymarket are live. The bus i waited for wast due at 1920 but the creen said 1925 and it arriverd at 1925 pulled straight out and drove like a nutter to get back on time!  Also arnt the ones on low fell live too?
Rob44
08 Sep 2021, 7:30 am #54

(07 Sep 2021, 7:32 pm)streetdeckfan Totally agree.
I don't know about you, but even as a Twitter addict when I'm standing at a bus stop and the bus is late, the first thing I do isn't go to Twitter and search GNE's recent Tweets to see if they happened to have mentioned the service I'm waiting for, it's check the app, because I probably already had it open to either check the times or have my ticket.

Unfortunately, for those without a smartphone there's very little that GNE can do. I don't know how the backend works, but they could potentially try and get DCC and Nexus to update the displays at bus stations with live info (I doubt that would be possible).
I do like the idea of the E-ink displays they're trialling, but like everything else in the industry, those companies rolling it out are no doubt charing way over the odds for what is a very simple product, so I can't personally see it being rolled out to all bus stops, or even those in 'key' areas to be honest.

Im sure the times on the boards at Haymarket are live. The bus i waited for wast due at 1920 but the creen said 1925 and it arriverd at 1925 pulled straight out and drove like a nutter to get back on time!  Also arnt the ones on low fell live too?

Adrian

08 Sep 2021, 8:11 am #55
(08 Sep 2021, 7:30 am)Rob44 Im sure the times on the boards at Haymarket are live. The bus i waited for wast due at 1920 but the creen said 1925 and it arriverd at 1925 pulled straight out and drove like a nutter to get back on time!  Also arnt the ones on low fell live too?

Think it might only be the new style ones at Haymarket?
Certainly the orange LED ones weren't live on Sunday, telling me that a now withdrawn 83 was due Smile

Adrian
08 Sep 2021, 8:11 am #55

(08 Sep 2021, 7:30 am)Rob44 Im sure the times on the boards at Haymarket are live. The bus i waited for wast due at 1920 but the creen said 1925 and it arriverd at 1925 pulled straight out and drove like a nutter to get back on time!  Also arnt the ones on low fell live too?

Think it might only be the new style ones at Haymarket?
Certainly the orange LED ones weren't live on Sunday, telling me that a now withdrawn 83 was due Smile

08 Sep 2021, 8:27 am #56
(07 Sep 2021, 9:16 pm)Adtrainsam These disruptions seem to be affecting Consett depot in particular.

Just had a very angry call from a friend in High Spen and it looks like she can't get to work due to cancellations.
Two 47s in a row have been cancelled due to driver shortages and with the 10A running hourly she has no choice but to be an hour late to work
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2021, 8:27 am #56

(07 Sep 2021, 9:16 pm)Adtrainsam These disruptions seem to be affecting Consett depot in particular.

Just had a very angry call from a friend in High Spen and it looks like she can't get to work due to cancellations.
Two 47s in a row have been cancelled due to driver shortages and with the 10A running hourly she has no choice but to be an hour late to work

Rob44

08 Sep 2021, 9:17 am #57
(08 Sep 2021, 8:11 am)Adrian Think it might only be the new style ones at Haymarket?

They have been there for ages. The ones above the auto doors. Defiantly changed with the bus i was waiting for being late.
Rob44
08 Sep 2021, 9:17 am #57

(08 Sep 2021, 8:11 am)Adrian Think it might only be the new style ones at Haymarket?

They have been there for ages. The ones above the auto doors. Defiantly changed with the bus i was waiting for being late.

ne14ne1

08 Sep 2021, 9:47 am #58
(08 Sep 2021, 8:27 am)streetdeckfan Just had a very angry call from a friend in High Spen and it looks like she can't get to work due to cancellations. 

Do you cover the GNE customer service lines out of hours?
ne14ne1
08 Sep 2021, 9:47 am #58

(08 Sep 2021, 8:27 am)streetdeckfan Just had a very angry call from a friend in High Spen and it looks like she can't get to work due to cancellations. 

Do you cover the GNE customer service lines out of hours?

Ambassador

08 Sep 2021, 10:05 am #59
I am guessing the evening tweets are automated through HootSuite template hence the lateness of some? The template is bloody awful anyway and could do with a new tone of voice.

If they are written by humans then thats somehow worse...

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
08 Sep 2021, 10:05 am #59

I am guessing the evening tweets are automated through HootSuite template hence the lateness of some? The template is bloody awful anyway and could do with a new tone of voice.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Dan

Site Administrator

08 Sep 2021, 10:27 am #60
(08 Sep 2021, 10:05 am)Ambassador I am guessing the evening tweets are automated through HootSuite template hence the lateness of some? The template is bloody awful anyway and could do with a new tone of voice.

Yep, bang on.
Dan
08 Sep 2021, 10:27 am #60

(08 Sep 2021, 10:05 am)Ambassador I am guessing the evening tweets are automated through HootSuite template hence the lateness of some? The template is bloody awful anyway and could do with a new tone of voice.

Yep, bang on.

Pages (103) Previous 1 2 3 4103 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average