Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Disruptions and driver shortages

Disruptions and driver shortages

Disruptions and driver shortages

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (103): 1 2 3103 Next
Andreos1

03 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm #1
https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1...06658?s=19

An improvement on 'track the next bus'. But really? What about the punters who need to be in Sacriston or one of the many places the X15 doesn't go?
Needless to say, the timing of the tweet doesn't really help those punters standing and waiting for it already.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm #1

https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1...06658?s=19

An improvement on 'track the next bus'. But really? What about the punters who need to be in Sacriston or one of the many places the X15 doesn't go?
Needless to say, the timing of the tweet doesn't really help those punters standing and waiting for it already.

Adrian

03 Sep 2021, 11:32 pm #2
(03 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1...06658?s=19

Good question. I had thought that the X15 might have done a quick detour, but it doesn't appear to have done according to bustimes.org. Although it could well be the case that upon reaching University Hospital, no one was intending to travel to Sacriston, so it continued as normal? Wishful, customer-orientated thinking, at least Smile

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Sep 2021, 11:32 pm #2

(03 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm)Andreos1 https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1...06658?s=19

Good question. I had thought that the X15 might have done a quick detour, but it doesn't appear to have done according to bustimes.org. Although it could well be the case that upon reaching University Hospital, no one was intending to travel to Sacriston, so it continued as normal? Wishful, customer-orientated thinking, at least Smile

MurdnunoC

04 Sep 2021, 6:24 am #3
(03 Sep 2021, 11:32 pm)Adrian Good question. I had thought that the X15 might have done a quick detour, but it doesn't appear to have done according to bustimes.org. Although it could well be the case that upon reaching University Hospital, no one was intending to travel to Sacriston, so it continued as normal? Wishful, customer-orientated thinking, at least Smile

But what about those standing in Sacriston wishing to travel to Daisy Hill, Edmonsley Crossroafs, Craghead or South Moor? I might be wrong of course, but that tweet suggests the entire journey has been cancelled. Was that the last journey of the night? Or is there another bus 15, 20 or 30 minutes later?
MurdnunoC
04 Sep 2021, 6:24 am #3

(03 Sep 2021, 11:32 pm)Adrian Good question. I had thought that the X15 might have done a quick detour, but it doesn't appear to have done according to bustimes.org. Although it could well be the case that upon reaching University Hospital, no one was intending to travel to Sacriston, so it continued as normal? Wishful, customer-orientated thinking, at least Smile

But what about those standing in Sacriston wishing to travel to Daisy Hill, Edmonsley Crossroafs, Craghead or South Moor? I might be wrong of course, but that tweet suggests the entire journey has been cancelled. Was that the last journey of the night? Or is there another bus 15, 20 or 30 minutes later?

big mac

04 Sep 2021, 8:04 am #4
(04 Sep 2021, 6:24 am)MurdnunoC But what about those standing in Sacriston wishing to travel to Daisy Hill, Edmonsley Crossroafs, Craghead or South Moor? I might be wrong of course, but that tweet suggests the entire journey has been cancelled. Was that the last journey of the night? Or is there another bus 15, 20 or 30 minutes later?
11.25pm is the last journey from Durham.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
big mac
04 Sep 2021, 8:04 am #4

(04 Sep 2021, 6:24 am)MurdnunoC But what about those standing in Sacriston wishing to travel to Daisy Hill, Edmonsley Crossroafs, Craghead or South Moor? I might be wrong of course, but that tweet suggests the entire journey has been cancelled. Was that the last journey of the night? Or is there another bus 15, 20 or 30 minutes later?
11.25pm is the last journey from Durham.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Keeiajs

04 Sep 2021, 8:07 am #5
What if there are people further up the route..
Keeiajs
04 Sep 2021, 8:07 am #5

What if there are people further up the route..

GNE6312

04 Sep 2021, 8:16 am #6
Some disruptions can be unpredictable. Fir example on Sunday when there were protest marches1 and no nexus were at Eldon Square as they were helping arriva since they don't have radios and there was only temporary arrangements announced for the gateshead routes (exept the X21) nothing for the Q1/2/3, 33N, X21 or C&Cs.
GNE6312
04 Sep 2021, 8:16 am #6

Some disruptions can be unpredictable. Fir example on Sunday when there were protest marches1 and no nexus were at Eldon Square as they were helping arriva since they don't have radios and there was only temporary arrangements announced for the gateshead routes (exept the X21) nothing for the Q1/2/3, 33N, X21 or C&Cs.

Keeiajs

04 Sep 2021, 8:25 am #7
(04 Sep 2021, 8:16 am)GNE6312 Some disruptions can be unpredictable. Fir example on Sunday when there were protest marches1 and no nexus were at Eldon Square as they were helping arriva since they don't have radios and there was only temporary arrangements announced for the gateshead routes (exept the X21) nothing for the Q1/2/3, 33N, X21 or C&Cs.
Why doesn't Arriva has radios?
Keeiajs
04 Sep 2021, 8:25 am #7

(04 Sep 2021, 8:16 am)GNE6312 Some disruptions can be unpredictable. Fir example on Sunday when there were protest marches1 and no nexus were at Eldon Square as they were helping arriva since they don't have radios and there was only temporary arrangements announced for the gateshead routes (exept the X21) nothing for the Q1/2/3, 33N, X21 or C&Cs.
Why doesn't Arriva has radios?

Adrian

04 Sep 2021, 8:31 am #8
They can be, but I know when I've enquired previously, customer services have told me that the last journey of a service will always be covered regardless.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian
04 Sep 2021, 8:31 am #8

They can be, but I know when I've enquired previously, customer services have told me that the last journey of a service will always be covered regardless.

04 Sep 2021, 9:02 am #9
(04 Sep 2021, 8:25 am)Keeiajs Why doesn't Arriva has radios?

£££
streetdeckfan
04 Sep 2021, 9:02 am #9

£££

Rob44

04 Sep 2021, 9:35 am #10
when i ask GNE drivers to try to find out where a bus is that hasn't arrived I've had responses of bus doesn't have one? its broken? and the good old shrug of shoulders.

Don't ANE drivers all get staff mobiles>
Rob44
04 Sep 2021, 9:35 am #10

when i ask GNE drivers to try to find out where a bus is that hasn't arrived I've had responses of bus doesn't have one? its broken? and the good old shrug of shoulders.

MurdnunoC

04 Sep 2021, 9:38 am #11
(04 Sep 2021, 8:31 am)Adrian They can be, but I know when I've enquired previously, customer services have told me that the last journey of a service will always be covered regardless.

And so it should be. Missing out the last bus of the night is inexcusable. From my own experience of travelling on the last bus home, aside from people travelling back home from Newcastle or the Metrocentre, there are quite a lot of elderly people who use the bus to travel back from their local watering hole. Some are less able and as technologically savvy as others. So unless there are other passengers at the bus stop aware of what is going on, how to do you communicate that the last bus isn't operating to them? How do you relay the other options available? Walking might not be an option.

It's crazy isn't it? It's also very annoying. I used to work in the engineering department at one of their depots and sometimes I would have to do driver changeovers to release a bus for whatever purpose it was required. Unless the changeover was due to take place within a bus station, which was not without its problems, it used to be an absolute nightmare as you had to approximate a time to where a bus would be and hope that you wouldn't get held up in traffic or that the bus wouldn't be running early. I've actually had to chase buses down before to do the changeover, sometimes to the irritation of the driver who would have instruct passengers to change buses. At bus stations, there were similar problems as you had no way of communicating with the driver so, more often than not, the bus would pull onto a stand and I would have to pull up onto an adjacent stand and explain to the driver what was going on.
MurdnunoC
04 Sep 2021, 9:38 am #11

(04 Sep 2021, 8:31 am)Adrian They can be, but I know when I've enquired previously, customer services have told me that the last journey of a service will always be covered regardless.

And so it should be. Missing out the last bus of the night is inexcusable. From my own experience of travelling on the last bus home, aside from people travelling back home from Newcastle or the Metrocentre, there are quite a lot of elderly people who use the bus to travel back from their local watering hole. Some are less able and as technologically savvy as others. So unless there are other passengers at the bus stop aware of what is going on, how to do you communicate that the last bus isn't operating to them? How do you relay the other options available? Walking might not be an option.

It's crazy isn't it? It's also very annoying. I used to work in the engineering department at one of their depots and sometimes I would have to do driver changeovers to release a bus for whatever purpose it was required. Unless the changeover was due to take place within a bus station, which was not without its problems, it used to be an absolute nightmare as you had to approximate a time to where a bus would be and hope that you wouldn't get held up in traffic or that the bus wouldn't be running early. I've actually had to chase buses down before to do the changeover, sometimes to the irritation of the driver who would have instruct passengers to change buses. At bus stations, there were similar problems as you had no way of communicating with the driver so, more often than not, the bus would pull onto a stand and I would have to pull up onto an adjacent stand and explain to the driver what was going on.

Storx

04 Sep 2021, 10:34 am #12

Not sure why Nexus would be helping Arriva. You sure it wasn't the controller who usually works in Haymarket who you seen. Wouldn't be surprised if (s)he just went MIA it's what usually happens when then there's disruption especially on the Metro when there's usually 3 'customer service advisors' (ticket inspectors) at the stations in Newcastle but as soon as a there's a whiff of disruption they just vanish.

Also I thought Arriva could communicate via the ticket machines now anyway.
Storx
04 Sep 2021, 10:34 am #12

Not sure why Nexus would be helping Arriva. You sure it wasn't the controller who usually works in Haymarket who you seen. Wouldn't be surprised if (s)he just went MIA it's what usually happens when then there's disruption especially on the Metro when there's usually 3 'customer service advisors' (ticket inspectors) at the stations in Newcastle but as soon as a there's a whiff of disruption they just vanish.

Also I thought Arriva could communicate via the ticket machines now anyway.

mb134

04 Sep 2021, 10:50 am #13
(04 Sep 2021, 10:34 am)Storx Also I thought Arriva could communicate via the ticket machines now anyway.

Yeah I'd been told that messages for service regulation, bus changes etc can all be sent out via Ticketer and flagged as important so that the driver can read it at their next stop.
mb134
04 Sep 2021, 10:50 am #13

(04 Sep 2021, 10:34 am)Storx Also I thought Arriva could communicate via the ticket machines now anyway.

Yeah I'd been told that messages for service regulation, bus changes etc can all be sent out via Ticketer and flagged as important so that the driver can read it at their next stop.

N1cholas

04 Sep 2021, 10:21 pm #14
(04 Sep 2021, 9:35 am)Rob44 when i ask GNE drivers to try to find out where a bus is that hasn't arrived I've had responses of bus doesn't have one? its broken? and the good old shrug of shoulders. 

Bus drivers dont have crystal balls and control can take ages to get back to the driver for non important calls, a bus can not just sit and wait for 5-10 mins while the information is found, why not try the go north east app or bustimes.org and that way you can instantly see where the bus is
N1cholas
04 Sep 2021, 10:21 pm #14

(04 Sep 2021, 9:35 am)Rob44 when i ask GNE drivers to try to find out where a bus is that hasn't arrived I've had responses of bus doesn't have one? its broken? and the good old shrug of shoulders. 

Bus drivers dont have crystal balls and control can take ages to get back to the driver for non important calls, a bus can not just sit and wait for 5-10 mins while the information is found, why not try the go north east app or bustimes.org and that way you can instantly see where the bus is

Rob44

05 Sep 2021, 6:47 am #15
(04 Sep 2021, 10:21 pm)N1cholas Bus drivers dont have crystal balls and control can take ages to get back to the driver for non important calls, a bus can not just sit and wait for 5-10 mins while the information is found, why not try the go north east app or bustimes.org and that way you can instantly see where the bus is

Actually you mention the appt... i was actually looking at it and a 56 was coming into gateshead so i thought ok, 10 minutes it will be here ( market street).  After 10 no sign do looked again and there is the same bus heading south passed the civic centre. Thats when I asked the driver of the 57 and got the usual shrug when i asked if 56 was due. To top it off he sat fro at least 10 minutes so if he had contacted control they would have had 10 minutes to respond.... maybe saying as the punter to jump on your bus to gateshead and get a 56 from there?
Rob44
05 Sep 2021, 6:47 am #15

(04 Sep 2021, 10:21 pm)N1cholas Bus drivers dont have crystal balls and control can take ages to get back to the driver for non important calls, a bus can not just sit and wait for 5-10 mins while the information is found, why not try the go north east app or bustimes.org and that way you can instantly see where the bus is

Actually you mention the appt... i was actually looking at it and a 56 was coming into gateshead so i thought ok, 10 minutes it will be here ( market street).  After 10 no sign do looked again and there is the same bus heading south passed the civic centre. Thats when I asked the driver of the 57 and got the usual shrug when i asked if 56 was due. To top it off he sat fro at least 10 minutes so if he had contacted control they would have had 10 minutes to respond.... maybe saying as the punter to jump on your bus to gateshead and get a 56 from there?

LVK 404L

05 Sep 2021, 4:46 pm #16
Not good on twitter for service 26. According to the 2 separate tweets the 1716 and 1746 from South Shields to Lukes Lane were both unable to operate. Meaning went from the 1640 service with a large gap until 1816 before the next one (providing that operates) 96 minutes gap.
LVK 404L
05 Sep 2021, 4:46 pm #16

Not good on twitter for service 26. According to the 2 separate tweets the 1716 and 1746 from South Shields to Lukes Lane were both unable to operate. Meaning went from the 1640 service with a large gap until 1816 before the next one (providing that operates) 96 minutes gap.

05 Sep 2021, 5:14 pm #17
(05 Sep 2021, 6:47 am)Rob44 Actually you mention the appt... i was actually looking at it and a 56 was coming into gateshead so i thought ok, 10 minutes it will be here ( market street).  After 10 no sign do looked again and there is the same bus heading south passed the civic centre. Thats when I asked the driver of the 57 and got the usual shrug when i asked if 56 was due. To top it off he sat fro at least 10 minutes so if he had contacted control they would have had 10 minutes to respond.... maybe saying as the punter to jump on your bus to gateshead and get a 56 from there?

I've had that many a time with the app.
When there's bad traffic, the X21 will often either not go to West Auckland, or it'll go to West, but on the return journey just go along the bypass from West to Bishop, bypassing Tindale and Woodhouse Estate.
On the app it'll still show that the bus is due in x minutes, but you can watch it on the tracker going nowhere near.
Either that, or the bus just drops off the app and they pretend that journey doesn't exist.

Despite many of the things I hate about the Arriva app, one thing it does do well is show the delays and cancellations. They don't try to hide it like GNE does!
streetdeckfan
05 Sep 2021, 5:14 pm #17

(05 Sep 2021, 6:47 am)Rob44 Actually you mention the appt... i was actually looking at it and a 56 was coming into gateshead so i thought ok, 10 minutes it will be here ( market street).  After 10 no sign do looked again and there is the same bus heading south passed the civic centre. Thats when I asked the driver of the 57 and got the usual shrug when i asked if 56 was due. To top it off he sat fro at least 10 minutes so if he had contacted control they would have had 10 minutes to respond.... maybe saying as the punter to jump on your bus to gateshead and get a 56 from there?

I've had that many a time with the app.
When there's bad traffic, the X21 will often either not go to West Auckland, or it'll go to West, but on the return journey just go along the bypass from West to Bishop, bypassing Tindale and Woodhouse Estate.
On the app it'll still show that the bus is due in x minutes, but you can watch it on the tracker going nowhere near.
Either that, or the bus just drops off the app and they pretend that journey doesn't exist.

Despite many of the things I hate about the Arriva app, one thing it does do well is show the delays and cancellations. They don't try to hide it like GNE does!

Andreos1

05 Sep 2021, 10:03 pm #18
(05 Sep 2021, 4:46 pm)ifm001 Not good on twitter for service 26.  According to the 2 separate tweets the 1716 and 1746 from South Shields to Lukes Lane were both unable to operate. Meaning went from the 1640 service with a large gap until 1816 before the next one (providing that operates) 96 minutes gap.

Few more missing tonight too.
Last minute tweets of course.

The last X1 beyond Washington is also cancelled. Good luck to those needing to get beyond Washington (where the 23:30 run terminates). https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1...18662?s=19

I'd hope the 23:30 was extended. I'd hope passengers were informed earlier than 5mins before the 23:00 was due to set off (assuming there had been a tweet about the inbound run an hour or so earlier).

Andreos1
05 Sep 2021, 10:03 pm #18

(05 Sep 2021, 4:46 pm)ifm001 Not good on twitter for service 26.  According to the 2 separate tweets the 1716 and 1746 from South Shields to Lukes Lane were both unable to operate. Meaning went from the 1640 service with a large gap until 1816 before the next one (providing that operates) 96 minutes gap.

Few more missing tonight too.

The last X1 beyond Washington is also cancelled. Good luck to those needing to get beyond Washington (where the 23:30 run terminates). https://twitter.com/gonortheast/status/1...18662?s=19

I'd hope the 23:30 was extended. I'd hope passengers were informed earlier than 5mins before the 23:00 was due to set off (assuming there had been a tweet about the inbound run an hour or so earlier).

Dan

Site Administrator

05 Sep 2021, 10:10 pm #19
(05 Sep 2021, 10:03 pm)Andreos1 Few more missing tonight too.

Whilst I’m sure that Go North East will do all they can to extend the 23:30 beyond The Galleries, it really isn’t as simple as doing all you hope for:
- will the driver have sufficient driving hours to continue to Newcastle?
- if they did, would the driver have sufficient hours rest until their next shift?
- does the driver actually want to stay back beyond their booked finishing time as overtime?

Again, there’s no disputing how poor this is (and is something happening across the industry - which really goes against all bus operators are trying to achieve) but things really aren’t that black and white. I’m sure bus companies wish they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
05 Sep 2021, 10:10 pm #19

Whilst I’m sure that Go North East will do all they can to extend the 23:30 beyond The Galleries, it really isn’t as simple as doing all you hope for:
- will the driver have sufficient driving hours to continue to Newcastle?
- if they did, would the driver have sufficient hours rest until their next shift?
- does the driver actually want to stay back beyond their booked finishing time as overtime?

Again, there’s no disputing how poor this is (and is something happening across the industry - which really goes against all bus operators are trying to achieve) but things really aren’t that black and white. I’m sure bus companies wish they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuyoyo

05 Sep 2021, 10:11 pm #20

The last X1 of the night - it’s only hourly on a Sunday night.
Kuyoyo
05 Sep 2021, 10:11 pm #20

The last X1 of the night - it’s only hourly on a Sunday night.

Pages (103): 1 2 3103 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average