Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Blackett Street Pedestrianisation.

Blackett Street Pedestrianisation.

Blackett Street Pedestrianisation.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (5): 1 2 35 Next
07 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm #1
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...508066.amp
  • New bus stop locations would be provided in Market Street, John Dobson Street, and Grainger Street

This will just cause chaos, there won't be enough avaliable bus stops without serious road improvements. You could Use St Mary's Place and St Thomas Street though.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
07 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm #1

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...508066.amp

• New bus stop locations would be provided in Market Street, John Dobson Street, and Grainger Street

This will just cause chaos, there won't be enough avaliable bus stops without serious road improvements. You could Use St Mary's Place and St Thomas Street though.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

07 Sep 2021, 9:29 pm #2
(07 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm)ASX_Terranova https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...508066.amp

Market Street is already starting to get a bit crowded with all the GNE services and the few Stagecoach ones that already use it. It's almost like Newcastle needs a third, bigger, more appropriate sized bus station.
deanmachine
07 Sep 2021, 9:29 pm #2

(07 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm)ASX_Terranova https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...508066.amp

Market Street is already starting to get a bit crowded with all the GNE services and the few Stagecoach ones that already use it. It's almost like Newcastle needs a third, bigger, more appropriate sized bus station.

Storx

07 Sep 2021, 9:43 pm #3

St Mary's Place Westbound would be just be as bad as it's where the 306/308/309/310/311 buses wait if they're running early instead of going into Haymarket and blocking the stands at the end. The times are quite tight on the 2 stands and the Morpeth and Ashington expresses are down there aswell. Eastbound doesn't really have much space either.

I'm guessing it's Eastbound the extra stops though probably outside the British Legion (Grainger Street) and more at the end of Grey Street, not really much more space for them.
Storx
07 Sep 2021, 9:43 pm #3

St Mary's Place Westbound would be just be as bad as it's where the 306/308/309/310/311 buses wait if they're running early instead of going into Haymarket and blocking the stands at the end. The times are quite tight on the 2 stands and the Morpeth and Ashington expresses are down there aswell. Eastbound doesn't really have much space either.

I'm guessing it's Eastbound the extra stops though probably outside the British Legion (Grainger Street) and more at the end of Grey Street, not really much more space for them.

Adrian

07 Sep 2021, 9:59 pm #4
(07 Sep 2021, 9:29 pm)deanmachine Market Street is already starting to get a bit crowded with all the GNE services and the few Stagecoach ones that already use it. It's almost like Newcastle needs a third, bigger, more appropriate sized bus station.

I agree, but Market Street feels a lot safer than Blackett Street does.

The way Blackett Street was redesigned years ago, it gives the perception that it's already pedestrianised, with the single level pavement/road. That is evident from the way people just drift out across, despite buses coming hurtling towards them. There's been times I've been stood photographing there, and you could quite easily count a near miss every other minute, if you were keeping a record.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Sep 2021, 9:59 pm #4

(07 Sep 2021, 9:29 pm)deanmachine Market Street is already starting to get a bit crowded with all the GNE services and the few Stagecoach ones that already use it. It's almost like Newcastle needs a third, bigger, more appropriate sized bus station.

I agree, but Market Street feels a lot safer than Blackett Street does.

The way Blackett Street was redesigned years ago, it gives the perception that it's already pedestrianised, with the single level pavement/road. That is evident from the way people just drift out across, despite buses coming hurtling towards them. There's been times I've been stood photographing there, and you could quite easily count a near miss every other minute, if you were keeping a record.

07 Sep 2021, 10:11 pm #5
(07 Sep 2021, 9:59 pm)Adrian I agree, but Market Street feels a lot safer than Blackett Street does.

Yes completely agree, never been a fan of driving a bus through there, even though I've only done it on diversions and Metro Replacements. Not quite as bad as driving down the Bigg Market at 3 o'clock in the morning mind.
deanmachine
07 Sep 2021, 10:11 pm #5

(07 Sep 2021, 9:59 pm)Adrian I agree, but Market Street feels a lot safer than Blackett Street does.

Yes completely agree, never been a fan of driving a bus through there, even though I've only done it on diversions and Metro Replacements. Not quite as bad as driving down the Bigg Market at 3 o'clock in the morning mind.

Train8261

07 Sep 2021, 11:05 pm #6

New bus stop location. Doesn't the entire of market Street have a bus stops everywhere 
John Dobson Street is already crowded with everything coming of the Tyne Bridge
Train8261
07 Sep 2021, 11:05 pm #6

New bus stop location. Doesn't the entire of market Street have a bus stops everywhere 
John Dobson Street is already crowded with everything coming of the Tyne Bridge

Rob44

08 Sep 2021, 7:11 am #7
To be fare all the same moans and groans were mentioned on the Chronicles letter page back when Northumberland street was pedestrianised. I'm old enough to remember when the buses ran down there and it was a lot worse than blacket street is now.
Rob44
08 Sep 2021, 7:11 am #7

To be fare all the same moans and groans were mentioned on the Chronicles letter page back when Northumberland street was pedestrianised. I'm old enough to remember when the buses ran down there and it was a lot worse than blacket street is now.

Ambassador

08 Sep 2021, 10:06 am #8
The trial events which took place when the world was 'normal' and traffc was much much greater went off without too much disruption.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
08 Sep 2021, 10:06 am #8

The trial events which took place when the world was 'normal' and traffc was much much greater went off without too much disruption.

markydh

08 Sep 2021, 10:51 am #9
(08 Sep 2021, 10:06 am)Ambassador The trial events which took place when the world was 'normal' and traffc was much much greater went off without too much disruption.

Indeed they did.  What is true is that the waiting environments need to be massively upgraded on the 'bus loop' for the extra walking distance to be worth it.
markydh
08 Sep 2021, 10:51 am #9

(08 Sep 2021, 10:06 am)Ambassador The trial events which took place when the world was 'normal' and traffc was much much greater went off without too much disruption.

Indeed they did.  What is true is that the waiting environments need to be massively upgraded on the 'bus loop' for the extra walking distance to be worth it.

BusLoverMum

08 Sep 2021, 10:59 pm #10

The near misses aren't new. I was one myself when I worked on Blackett Street, in the late 80s. I almost had "she were wiped out by the Dumpling Hall bus" on my premature grave.
BusLoverMum
08 Sep 2021, 10:59 pm #10

The near misses aren't new. I was one myself when I worked on Blackett Street, in the late 80s. I almost had "she were wiped out by the Dumpling Hall bus" on my premature grave.

ne14ne1

20 Sep 2021, 4:21 pm #11
Extract from the proposals for city centre traffic changes on the Newcastle City Council website, relating to buses:

Blackett Street, New Bridge Street West and Pilgrim Street would be closed to buses. This map details proposed changes to the bus stops.
[Image: 6f0b9aa2-6efb-425f-847a-172eb5928d9c-jpeg.2084181]

Proposed changes to bus operations include:
Relocation of buses from Blackett Street, the northern section of Pilgrim Street and New Bridge Street West onto surrounding roads. This would effectively create a ‘bus loop’ around the core of the city centre. This central area would then be focused on people, with limited access for vehicles. The surrounding roads would then include:
  • Grainger Street
  • John Dobson Street
  • Market Street
  • Newgate Street
  • Percy Street
  • St Mary's Place
New and/or improved stops would be provided in the following locations:
  • Grainger Street
  • Grey Street (north)
  • John Dobson Street
  • Market Street
  • Newgate Street
Shelters and seating would be provided as far as possible in new / improved stop locations.

LINK: City centre improvements | Newcastle City Council
ne14ne1
20 Sep 2021, 4:21 pm #11

Extract from the proposals for city centre traffic changes on the Newcastle City Council website, relating to buses:

Blackett Street, New Bridge Street West and Pilgrim Street would be closed to buses. This map details proposed changes to the bus stops.

Relocation of buses from Blackett Street, the northern section of Pilgrim Street and New Bridge Street West onto surrounding roads. This would effectively create a ‘bus loop’ around the core of the city centre. This central area would then be focused on people, with limited access for vehicles. The surrounding roads would then include:

• Grainger Street
  • John Dobson Street
  • Market Street
  • Newgate Street
  • Percy Street
  • St Mary's Place
  • Grainger Street
  • Grey Street (north)
  • John Dobson Street
  • Market Street
  • Newgate Street
Shelters and seating would be provided as far as possible in new / improved stop locations.

20 Sep 2021, 11:46 pm #12
Just makes me groan at the thought of competing with all these different buses for space on already congested streets. Not to mention the various Private Hires *cough*Ubers*cough* that think it's fine to just wait wherever they please for a fare.

I know Blackett Street isn't exactly great for pedestrian safety, especially around the Monument, but I don't see how moving the congestion elsewhere is going to really help the city itself, especially when they're trying to introduce a Clean Air Zone.
deanmachine
20 Sep 2021, 11:46 pm #12

Just makes me groan at the thought of competing with all these different buses for space on already congested streets. Not to mention the various Private Hires *cough*Ubers*cough* that think it's fine to just wait wherever they please for a fare.

I know Blackett Street isn't exactly great for pedestrian safety, especially around the Monument, but I don't see how moving the congestion elsewhere is going to really help the city itself, especially when they're trying to introduce a Clean Air Zone.

21 Sep 2021, 5:57 am #13
(20 Sep 2021, 4:21 pm)ne14ne1 Extract from the proposals for city centre traffic changes on the Newcastle City Council website, relating to buses:

• Grainger Street
  • John Dobson Street
  • Market Street
  • Newgate Street
  • Percy Street
  • St Mary's Place
  • Grainger Street
  • Grey Street (north)
  • John Dobson Street
  • Market Street
  • Newgate Street

Newcastle City Council have to make the bus routes bus only, hackney carriages only Grainger Street/Clayton Street/Westgate Road. Deliveries up to 10am. Stop all private cars/fake taxis. Thats the only way the streets could cope with the extra buses. They haven't the spine or the common sense to do so.
54APhotography
21 Sep 2021, 5:57 am #13

(20 Sep 2021, 4:21 pm)ne14ne1 Extract from the proposals for city centre traffic changes on the Newcastle City Council website, relating to buses:

• Grainger Street
  • John Dobson Street
  • Market Street
  • Newgate Street
  • Percy Street
  • St Mary's Place
  • Grainger Street
  • Grey Street (north)
  • John Dobson Street
  • Market Street
  • Newgate Street

Newcastle City Council have to make the bus routes bus only, hackney carriages only Grainger Street/Clayton Street/Westgate Road. Deliveries up to 10am. Stop all private cars/fake taxis. Thats the only way the streets could cope with the extra buses. They haven't the spine or the common sense to do so.

21 Sep 2021, 6:18 am #14
(21 Sep 2021, 5:57 am)54APhotography Newcastle City Council have to make the bus routes bus only, hackney carriages only Grainger Street/Clayton Street/Westgate Road. Deliveries up to 10am. Stop all private cars/fake taxis. Thats the only way the streets could cope with the extra buses. They haven't the spine or the common sense to do so.

The majority of city centre roads are restricted to just buses and taxis though. Restricting the other roads would have a significant impact on those who actually live or operate their business from the places on the side streets, or for those with limited mobility who rely on disabled parking spaces. But let's make it all about the sodding buses without weighing in the consequences for other people.
omnicity4659
21 Sep 2021, 6:18 am #14

(21 Sep 2021, 5:57 am)54APhotography Newcastle City Council have to make the bus routes bus only, hackney carriages only Grainger Street/Clayton Street/Westgate Road. Deliveries up to 10am. Stop all private cars/fake taxis. Thats the only way the streets could cope with the extra buses. They haven't the spine or the common sense to do so.

The majority of city centre roads are restricted to just buses and taxis though. Restricting the other roads would have a significant impact on those who actually live or operate their business from the places on the side streets, or for those with limited mobility who rely on disabled parking spaces. But let's make it all about the sodding buses without weighing in the consequences for other people.

21 Sep 2021, 6:26 am #15
(21 Sep 2021, 6:18 am)omnicity4659 The majority of city centre roads are restricted to just buses and taxis though. Restricting the other roads would have a significant impact on those who actually live or operate their business from the places on the side streets, or for those with limited mobility who rely on disabled parking spaces. But let's make it all about the sodding buses without weighing in the consequences for other people.
The consequences to those you mention are exaggerated by the forcing of buses onto a few routes simply to pedestrianize a small part of the actual red zone. If sense was applied studies of cities with similar demographics would have been undertaken with due diligence.
54APhotography
21 Sep 2021, 6:26 am #15

(21 Sep 2021, 6:18 am)omnicity4659 The majority of city centre roads are restricted to just buses and taxis though. Restricting the other roads would have a significant impact on those who actually live or operate their business from the places on the side streets, or for those with limited mobility who rely on disabled parking spaces. But let's make it all about the sodding buses without weighing in the consequences for other people.
The consequences to those you mention are exaggerated by the forcing of buses onto a few routes simply to pedestrianize a small part of the actual red zone. If sense was applied studies of cities with similar demographics would have been undertaken with due diligence.

Rob44

21 Sep 2021, 7:31 am #16
all the above moans/complaints came up when they stopped traffic on Northumberland street back in the late 80's?.. way before most of the people on here's time. But i remember on numerous occasion nearly getting hit by buses running down there... you wouldn't think of de-pedestrianizing it now though ??
Rob44
21 Sep 2021, 7:31 am #16

all the above moans/complaints came up when they stopped traffic on Northumberland street back in the late 80's?.. way before most of the people on here's time. But i remember on numerous occasion nearly getting hit by buses running down there... you wouldn't think of de-pedestrianizing it now though ??

21 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm #17
(21 Sep 2021, 7:31 am)Rob44 all the above moans/complaints came up when they stopped traffic on Northumberland street back in the late 80's?.. way before most of the people on here's time. But i remember on numerous occasion nearly getting hit by buses running down there... you wouldn't think of de-pedestrianizing it now though ??

Northumberland Street makes sense as it has a majority of shops on it, the same cannot be said for Blackett Street, Pilgrim Street, or New Birdge Street.
deanmachine
21 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm #17

(21 Sep 2021, 7:31 am)Rob44 all the above moans/complaints came up when they stopped traffic on Northumberland street back in the late 80's?.. way before most of the people on here's time. But i remember on numerous occasion nearly getting hit by buses running down there... you wouldn't think of de-pedestrianizing it now though ??

Northumberland Street makes sense as it has a majority of shops on it, the same cannot be said for Blackett Street, Pilgrim Street, or New Birdge Street.

Rob44

21 Sep 2021, 12:24 pm #18
(21 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm)deanmachine Northumberland Street makes sense as it has a majority of shops on it, the same cannot be said for Blackett Street, Pilgrim Street, or New Birdge Street.

Very true but its not about the shops really - its about pedestrians being able to walk safely along that corridor which was the reason Northumberland street was done in the late 80s.. All those complaining are bringing up the same thing that were mentioned all those years ago... too many buses at certain stops, less vehicle access etc etc
Rob44
21 Sep 2021, 12:24 pm #18

(21 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm)deanmachine Northumberland Street makes sense as it has a majority of shops on it, the same cannot be said for Blackett Street, Pilgrim Street, or New Birdge Street.

Very true but its not about the shops really - its about pedestrians being able to walk safely along that corridor which was the reason Northumberland street was done in the late 80s.. All those complaining are bringing up the same thing that were mentioned all those years ago... too many buses at certain stops, less vehicle access etc etc

Ambassador

21 Sep 2021, 5:03 pm #19

As the City Centre develops it's more about the experience of living, working and shopping in the centre,  Pilgrim and NB Street, those streets are pivotal to the redevelopment of the City Centre

They've shown pre-covid they can close Blackett St wilth little disruption.

The issue is again Newcastle City Council and the PTE lack of planning. Marlborough Crescent and Worswick St haven't been replaced

Ambassador
21 Sep 2021, 5:03 pm #19

As the City Centre develops it's more about the experience of living, working and shopping in the centre,  Pilgrim and NB Street, those streets are pivotal to the redevelopment of the City Centre

The issue is again Newcastle City Council and the PTE lack of planning. Marlborough Crescent and Worswick St haven't been replaced

Adrian

21 Sep 2021, 6:38 pm #20
(21 Sep 2021, 5:03 pm)Ambassador As the City Centre develops it's more about the experience of living, working and shopping in the centre,  Pilgrim and NB Street, those streets are pivotal to the redevelopment of the City Centre

Yep, a massive lack of planning and foresight. There's no way that both of those locations should have been redeveloped with a change of use. 

The issue now is of course where would you put a new bus station? The site on the junction of Westmorland Road and Blandford Street would probably be most suitable, and of course not too far from the original Marlborough Crescent.

Adrian
21 Sep 2021, 6:38 pm #20

(21 Sep 2021, 5:03 pm)Ambassador As the City Centre develops it's more about the experience of living, working and shopping in the centre,  Pilgrim and NB Street, those streets are pivotal to the redevelopment of the City Centre

Yep, a massive lack of planning and foresight. There's no way that both of those locations should have been redeveloped with a change of use. 

The issue now is of course where would you put a new bus station? The site on the junction of Westmorland Road and Blandford Street would probably be most suitable, and of course not too far from the original Marlborough Crescent.

Pages (5): 1 2 35 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average