Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Nostalgia

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (13): 1 2 313 Next
Adrian

27 May 2013, 8:31 pm #1
Was having a chat earlier about brands or items that were around when we were younger, but are no where to be seen now. So in a bid to get other parts of the forum a bit more active, I thought I'd stick a post on here Wink Apologies in advance if this is not the place.

Few things I thought of were -

[Image: OpalFruits.jpg]

[Image: poppers.jpg]

[Image: tazo.jpg]

Anyone got any others?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 May 2013, 8:31 pm #1

Was having a chat earlier about brands or items that were around when we were younger, but are no where to be seen now. So in a bid to get other parts of the forum a bit more active, I thought I'd stick a post on here Wink Apologies in advance if this is not the place.

Few things I thought of were -

[Image: OpalFruits.jpg]

[Image: poppers.jpg]

[Image: tazo.jpg]

Anyone got any others?

Kuyoyo

27 May 2013, 8:38 pm #2
Adidas is certainly still about, for I only recently bought a few pairs of their jog pants.
Kuyoyo
27 May 2013, 8:38 pm #2

Adidas is certainly still about, for I only recently bought a few pairs of their jog pants.

Adrian

27 May 2013, 8:39 pm #3
(27 May 2013, 8:38 pm)Kuyoyo Adidas is certainly still about, for I only recently bought a few pairs of their jog pants.

Try finding those popper pants though, or anyone that would still wear them for that matter Smile they were all the rage in the 90s for some strange reason.

Adrian
27 May 2013, 8:39 pm #3

(27 May 2013, 8:38 pm)Kuyoyo Adidas is certainly still about, for I only recently bought a few pairs of their jog pants.

Try finding those popper pants though, or anyone that would still wear them for that matter Smile they were all the rage in the 90s for some strange reason.

Andreos1

27 May 2013, 8:43 pm #4
I can remember Opal Fruits and the popping buttons on the adidas tracky bottoms (had a pair of zippy ones), but havent got a clue what the bottom picture is
Andreos1
27 May 2013, 8:43 pm #4

I can remember Opal Fruits and the popping buttons on the adidas tracky bottoms (had a pair of zippy ones), but havent got a clue what the bottom picture is

Adrian

27 May 2013, 8:45 pm #5
(27 May 2013, 8:43 pm)Andreos1 I can remember Opal Fruits and the popping buttons on the adidas tracky bottoms (had a pair of zippy ones), but havent got a clue what the bottom picture is

Pogs/Tazos. They came about in about 94-95. I can't actually remember the point in them, other than collecting as many as you can??

Adrian
27 May 2013, 8:45 pm #5

(27 May 2013, 8:43 pm)Andreos1 I can remember Opal Fruits and the popping buttons on the adidas tracky bottoms (had a pair of zippy ones), but havent got a clue what the bottom picture is

Pogs/Tazos. They came about in about 94-95. I can't actually remember the point in them, other than collecting as many as you can??

Kuyoyo

27 May 2013, 8:49 pm #6
Those 'Adidas' popper pants - I had some at the start of the Noughies, very handy to wear on the sidelines during my early rugby playing days. But yes, hard to find them these days.
Kuyoyo
27 May 2013, 8:49 pm #6

Those 'Adidas' popper pants - I had some at the start of the Noughies, very handy to wear on the sidelines during my early rugby playing days. But yes, hard to find them these days.

Andreos1

27 May 2013, 8:54 pm #7
Vaguely remember getting them in bags of crisps and either chucking them or giving them away.
I was getting to the age where I was too cool to collect stuff other than lovebites in the mid 90s hahaha

Can anyone remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2UfzAQ8Pfg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There was also Fish n Chip crisps that the swimming baths used to sell. Nowt like burning a few calories in the water and putting them back on with a bag of crisps and a bottle of pop...
Edited 27 May 2013, 9:17 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
27 May 2013, 8:54 pm #7

Vaguely remember getting them in bags of crisps and either chucking them or giving them away.
I was getting to the age where I was too cool to collect stuff other than lovebites in the mid 90s hahaha

Can anyone remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2UfzAQ8Pfg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There was also Fish n Chip crisps that the swimming baths used to sell. Nowt like burning a few calories in the water and putting them back on with a bag of crisps and a bottle of pop...

Adrian

17 Aug 2013, 9:37 pm #8
Anyone remember these?

[Image: 110343_super_cup_1_01.jpg]

[Image: n2344279591_1408.jpg]

[Image: Amiga-1200.jpg]

[Image: monkey+4.gif]

Adrian
17 Aug 2013, 9:37 pm #8

Anyone remember these?

[Image: 110343_super_cup_1_01.jpg]

[Image: n2344279591_1408.jpg]

[Image: Amiga-1200.jpg]

[Image: monkey+4.gif]

MurdnunoC

17 Aug 2013, 9:43 pm #9
I used to have Amiga 500. That's where I was introduced to the world of Championship Manager and Sensible Soccer.

My first computer was one of these:

[Image: Sinclair_Spectrum+3_Large.jpg]

Obviously, disks meant a quicker loading time than the tape-based Spectrum +2. The only drawback, I was the only kid in school who had one which meant I had no-one to trade games with Sad
MurdnunoC
17 Aug 2013, 9:43 pm #9

I used to have Amiga 500. That's where I was introduced to the world of Championship Manager and Sensible Soccer.

Obviously, disks meant a quicker loading time than the tape-based Spectrum +2. The only drawback, I was the only kid in school who had one which meant I had no-one to trade games with Sad

Adrian

17 Aug 2013, 9:54 pm #10
(17 Aug 2013, 9:43 pm)AdamY I used to have Amiga 500. That's where I was introduced to the world of Championship Manager and Sensible Soccer.

We had a Commodore 64 with the cassette drive prior to having an Amiga 500 Big Grin Amiga 1200 came shortly after that. I too was introduced to Championship Manager at that point. '93 with the end of season update I believe - the one with two fictional players (who were developers) at Cambridge Utd. The most amazing thing is that it only required 2x (iirc) 3.5" floppy disks - one for game and one for save.

[Image: championship_manager_93_01.png]

Amiga games themselves were rife around here. Everyone was at it with XCopy (used to love the GUI by the way haha).

[Image: xcopy93_2.png]

Adrian
17 Aug 2013, 9:54 pm #10

(17 Aug 2013, 9:43 pm)AdamY I used to have Amiga 500. That's where I was introduced to the world of Championship Manager and Sensible Soccer.

We had a Commodore 64 with the cassette drive prior to having an Amiga 500 Big Grin Amiga 1200 came shortly after that. I too was introduced to Championship Manager at that point. '93 with the end of season update I believe - the one with two fictional players (who were developers) at Cambridge Utd. The most amazing thing is that it only required 2x (iirc) 3.5" floppy disks - one for game and one for save.

Amiga games themselves were rife around here. Everyone was at it with XCopy (used to love the GUI by the way haha).

MurdnunoC

17 Aug 2013, 10:13 pm #11
Yup. Those two fictional players used to be amongst my first signings. Steve Claridge, who also played for Cambridge at the time, wasn't too shabby either IIRC. Now you come to mention it, one-disk was pretty good for Championship Manager. Monkey Island had 12 disks in comparison.

I can't remember X-Copy but I used to use a similar copying programme. I can't remember what it was called off the top of my head though.

Did you ever own a copy of Jolly Roger's Cookbook?
Edited 17 Aug 2013, 10:28 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
17 Aug 2013, 10:13 pm #11

Yup. Those two fictional players used to be amongst my first signings. Steve Claridge, who also played for Cambridge at the time, wasn't too shabby either IIRC. Now you come to mention it, one-disk was pretty good for Championship Manager. Monkey Island had 12 disks in comparison.

I can't remember X-Copy but I used to use a similar copying programme. I can't remember what it was called off the top of my head though.

Did you ever own a copy of Jolly Roger's Cookbook?

Adrian

17 Aug 2013, 10:15 pm #12
(17 Aug 2013, 10:13 pm)AdamY Did you ever own a copy of Jolly Roger's Cookbook?

I didn't - no. What was that?

Adrian
17 Aug 2013, 10:15 pm #12

(17 Aug 2013, 10:13 pm)AdamY Did you ever own a copy of Jolly Roger's Cookbook?

I didn't - no. What was that?

MurdnunoC

17 Aug 2013, 10:20 pm #13
It was the most sought after disk at my school. Full of files telling you how to make home-made drugs and explosives. Of course, nobody I know was ever foolish enough to attempt the recipes listed. But as a 14 year-old adolescent, it was something that you had to have nonetheless.

A brief history of the programme can be found through the link below:
http://www.hack247.co.uk/blogpost/jolly-...f-history/
MurdnunoC
17 Aug 2013, 10:20 pm #13

It was the most sought after disk at my school. Full of files telling you how to make home-made drugs and explosives. Of course, nobody I know was ever foolish enough to attempt the recipes listed. But as a 14 year-old adolescent, it was something that you had to have nonetheless.

A brief history of the programme can be found through the link below:
http://www.hack247.co.uk/blogpost/jolly-...f-history/

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

17 Aug 2013, 11:38 pm #14
As for the popper tracksuit bottoms I had a pair of Reebok pants that popped right to the waist, so a quick pull would whip them off all together...

Also during the 90's I was a proper little chav going round in my kappa tracksuit

And my first computer was an Amstrad 464 Green Screen

[IMG] http://www.nightfallcrew.com/wp-content/...g_2248.jpg[/IMG]

my old man used to get me a magazine every month with programming instructions how to create games, programmed some canny games back in the day
Edited 17 Aug 2013, 11:41 pm by MrFozz.
Attached Files
.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1376782477722.jpg
Size: 56.08 KB / Downloads: 26
.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1376782538322.jpg
Size: 56.08 KB / Downloads: 21
MrFozz
17 Aug 2013, 11:38 pm #14

As for the popper tracksuit bottoms I had a pair of Reebok pants that popped right to the waist, so a quick pull would whip them off all together...

Also during the 90's I was a proper little chav going round in my kappa tracksuit

And my first computer was an Amstrad 464 Green Screen

[IMG] http://www.nightfallcrew.com/wp-content/...g_2248.jpg[/IMG]

my old man used to get me a magazine every month with programming instructions how to create games, programmed some canny games back in the day

Attached Files
.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1376782477722.jpg
Size: 56.08 KB / Downloads: 26
.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1376782538322.jpg
Size: 56.08 KB / Downloads: 21

Andreos1

18 Aug 2013, 8:41 am #15
(17 Aug 2013, 9:54 pm)aureolin We had a Commodore 64 with the cassette drive prior to having an Amiga 500 Big Grin Amiga 1200 came shortly after that. I too was introduced to Championship Manager at that point. '93 with the end of season update I believe - the one with two fictional players (who were developers) at Cambridge Utd. The most amazing thing is that it only required 2x (iirc) 3.5" floppy disks - one for game and one for save.

Still have my Amiga 1200 somewhere and it still works (or did last time I fired it up).
Sensi Soccer, Champ Manager, Winter Olympics, Cannon Fodder, Railroad Tycoon and the excellent Jolly Rogers Cookbook and a few different versions of the x-copy were amongst the must haves.
There were some cracking games around then.
The dot-matrix printer I had, sounded like something off Grandstand, but it did the job!
Andreos1
18 Aug 2013, 8:41 am #15

(17 Aug 2013, 9:54 pm)aureolin We had a Commodore 64 with the cassette drive prior to having an Amiga 500 Big Grin Amiga 1200 came shortly after that. I too was introduced to Championship Manager at that point. '93 with the end of season update I believe - the one with two fictional players (who were developers) at Cambridge Utd. The most amazing thing is that it only required 2x (iirc) 3.5" floppy disks - one for game and one for save.

Still have my Amiga 1200 somewhere and it still works (or did last time I fired it up).
Sensi Soccer, Champ Manager, Winter Olympics, Cannon Fodder, Railroad Tycoon and the excellent Jolly Rogers Cookbook and a few different versions of the x-copy were amongst the must haves.
There were some cracking games around then.
The dot-matrix printer I had, sounded like something off Grandstand, but it did the job!

MurdnunoC

18 Aug 2013, 9:13 am #16
(18 Aug 2013, 8:41 am)Andreos1 The dot-matrix printer I had, sounded like something off Grandstand, but it did the job!

I miss the old Vidi-printer and the distinctive sound it made. One of the staples of Saturday afternoon television.

Speaking of Grandstand, remember this?

[Image: world_of_sport.jpg]

Him?

[Image: 250px-Dickie_Davies_-_World_Of_Sport.jpg]

and, of course, these two.

[Image: saints.jpg]
Edited 18 Aug 2013, 9:47 am by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
18 Aug 2013, 9:13 am #16

(18 Aug 2013, 8:41 am)Andreos1 The dot-matrix printer I had, sounded like something off Grandstand, but it did the job!

I miss the old Vidi-printer and the distinctive sound it made. One of the staples of Saturday afternoon television.

Speaking of Grandstand, remember this?

[Image: world_of_sport.jpg]

Him?

[Image: 250px-Dickie_Davies_-_World_Of_Sport.jpg]

and, of course, these two.

[Image: saints.jpg]

Andreos1

18 Aug 2013, 9:48 am #17
Only the Dicky Davies jpg is opening.

Heres me singing the praises of Opera Mini...

But yeah, I can remember him. The ITV version of Grandstand with the wrestling too!
Andreos1
18 Aug 2013, 9:48 am #17

Only the Dicky Davies jpg is opening.

But yeah, I can remember him. The ITV version of Grandstand with the wrestling too!

Adrian

18 Aug 2013, 9:48 am #18
I can remember hearing something like you've described Jolly Roger's cookbook as, so it must have been doing the rounds at some point Smile Dot Matrix printers were brilliant mind - I remember having a colour dot matrix, and it would take about a week to print something. Those were the days lol.

Adrian
18 Aug 2013, 9:48 am #18

I can remember hearing something like you've described Jolly Roger's cookbook as, so it must have been doing the rounds at some point Smile Dot Matrix printers were brilliant mind - I remember having a colour dot matrix, and it would take about a week to print something. Those were the days lol.

MurdnunoC

18 Aug 2013, 9:49 am #19
(18 Aug 2013, 9:48 am)Andreos1 Only the Dicky Davies jpg is opening.

Sorted now hopefully.
MurdnunoC
18 Aug 2013, 9:49 am #19

(18 Aug 2013, 9:48 am)Andreos1 Only the Dicky Davies jpg is opening.

Sorted now hopefully.

Andreos1

18 Aug 2013, 9:56 am #20
(18 Aug 2013, 9:49 am)AdamY Sorted now hopefully.

Yeah, can see them now. Saint & Greavsie.
Wasn't really a fan at the time, but can remember the show.

@aureolin. A week to print the page and the house being shook to its foundations!
Andreos1
18 Aug 2013, 9:56 am #20

(18 Aug 2013, 9:49 am)AdamY Sorted now hopefully.

Yeah, can see them now. Saint & Greavsie.
Wasn't really a fan at the time, but can remember the show.

@aureolin. A week to print the page and the house being shook to its foundations!

Pages (13): 1 2 313 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average