Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Emergency Service Changes from 25th September 2021

Emergency Service Changes from 25th September 2021

Emergency Service Changes from 25th September 2021

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next
Michael

20 Sep 2021, 12:46 pm #1
Due to a national driver shortage, reflecting labour shortages now being seen in many sectors across the country, and a short-term increase in sickness absence, we are making some temporary changes to a small number of our high-frequency services from Saturday 25 September.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/temporary-...-september

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 Sep 2021, 12:46 pm #1

Due to a national driver shortage, reflecting labour shortages now being seen in many sectors across the country, and a short-term increase in sickness absence, we are making some temporary changes to a small number of our high-frequency services from Saturday 25 September.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Train8261

20 Sep 2021, 1:01 pm #2
We now know the reason the X11 TT and B1 are being cancelled. Ah well nowt can be done.

Hopefully things pick up in a few months
Train8261
20 Sep 2021, 1:01 pm #2

We now know the reason the X11 TT and B1 are being cancelled. Ah well nowt can be done.

Michael

20 Sep 2021, 1:35 pm #3
(20 Sep 2021, 1:01 pm)Train8261 We now know the reason the X11 TT and B1 are being cancelled. Ah well nowt can be done.

I can see the X11 returning next summer - could even start in Spring, hopefully next time, its planned better - having a hot spare at Washington for example - maybe even a extra run.........

I would do two runs each way:

Leave for Scarborough at: 7:30am and 8:30am

Leave for Newcastle at: 17:45pm and 18:45pm

Above is an example ^

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 Sep 2021, 1:35 pm #3

(20 Sep 2021, 1:01 pm)Train8261 We now know the reason the X11 TT and B1 are being cancelled. Ah well nowt can be done.

I can see the X11 returning next summer - could even start in Spring, hopefully next time, its planned better - having a hot spare at Washington for example - maybe even a extra run.........

I would do two runs each way:

Leave for Scarborough at: 7:30am and 8:30am

Leave for Newcastle at: 17:45pm and 18:45pm

Above is an example ^

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

20 Sep 2021, 1:49 pm #4
Could they have spaced the buses out a bit more heading towards Lambton & Ayton from The Galleries. It was also a problem before the changes as well. Depending on time of day and/or delays you could have the 82, 84 & 50 all leave directly one after another.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
20 Sep 2021, 1:49 pm #4

Could they have spaced the buses out a bit more heading towards Lambton & Ayton from The Galleries. It was also a problem before the changes as well. Depending on time of day and/or delays you could have the 82, 84 & 50 all leave directly one after another.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

Andreos1

20 Sep 2021, 2:16 pm #5
(20 Sep 2021, 12:46 pm)Michael Due to a national driver shortage, reflecting labour shortages now being seen in many sectors across the country, and a short-term increase in sickness absence, we are making some temporary changes to a small number of our high-frequency services from Saturday 25 September.

I'd have thought they could still run those special services on key dates in the lead up to Christmas mind.
Thinking goth weekend and Whitby as an example.
License to print money, with goths, steampunks and whatever else people identify as - coming from all four corners of the UK. Including (I assume), Tyneside.

(20 Sep 2021, 1:49 pm)ASX_Terranova Could they have spaced the buses out a bit more heading towards Lambton & Ayton from The Galleries. It was also a problem before the changes as well. Depending on time of day and/or delays you could have the 82, 84 & 50 all leave directly one after another.

There's so much more that could be done on a number of routes. Not just those ones. 

Appreciate there is a bigger picture to look at re headway through Lambton with the 2/2a and then the likes of the 78 on Chester Road, but utilising the resource better could not only save money, it could make money too!
Edited 20 Sep 2021, 2:23 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Sep 2021, 2:16 pm #5

(20 Sep 2021, 12:46 pm)Michael Due to a national driver shortage, reflecting labour shortages now being seen in many sectors across the country, and a short-term increase in sickness absence, we are making some temporary changes to a small number of our high-frequency services from Saturday 25 September.

I'd have thought they could still run those special services on key dates in the lead up to Christmas mind.
Thinking goth weekend and Whitby as an example.
License to print money, with goths, steampunks and whatever else people identify as - coming from all four corners of the UK. Including (I assume), Tyneside.

(20 Sep 2021, 1:49 pm)ASX_Terranova Could they have spaced the buses out a bit more heading towards Lambton & Ayton from The Galleries. It was also a problem before the changes as well. Depending on time of day and/or delays you could have the 82, 84 & 50 all leave directly one after another.

There's so much more that could be done on a number of routes. Not just those ones. 

Appreciate there is a bigger picture to look at re headway through Lambton with the 2/2a and then the likes of the 78 on Chester Road, but utilising the resource better could not only save money, it could make money too!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

21 Sep 2021, 1:11 am #6
Nowt to do with sickness absence. The race to the bottom in wages has finally come back to bite them on the arse and existing staff are leaving for pastures new, just like at Arriva who are having to pay agency drivers £16 an hour to try and plug the gaps......
Driver9***
21 Sep 2021, 1:11 am #6

Nowt to do with sickness absence. The race to the bottom in wages has finally come back to bite them on the arse and existing staff are leaving for pastures new, just like at Arriva who are having to pay agency drivers £16 an hour to try and plug the gaps......

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Sep 2021, 5:21 am #7
(21 Sep 2021, 1:11 am)Driver9*** Nowt to do with sickness absence. The race to the bottom in wages has finally come back to bite them on the arse and existing staff are leaving for pastures new, just like at Arriva who are having to pay agency drivers £16 an hour to try and plug the gaps......

It’s entirely to do with sickness absence - Go North East aren’t actually that short of drivers on paper, but high sickness levels are resulting in the current disruption.

The reasons for that sickness is what you could argue may be driven by some staff needlessly being off sick, but that’s by no means everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
21 Sep 2021, 5:21 am #7

(21 Sep 2021, 1:11 am)Driver9*** Nowt to do with sickness absence. The race to the bottom in wages has finally come back to bite them on the arse and existing staff are leaving for pastures new, just like at Arriva who are having to pay agency drivers £16 an hour to try and plug the gaps......

It’s entirely to do with sickness absence - Go North East aren’t actually that short of drivers on paper, but high sickness levels are resulting in the current disruption.

The reasons for that sickness is what you could argue may be driven by some staff needlessly being off sick, but that’s by no means everyone.

DeltaMan

21 Sep 2021, 6:27 am #8
The off-peak running time has remained the same between Chester and Newcastle but the frequency reduced. I hope that doesn't affect reliability with more people boarding fewer buses per hour
DeltaMan
21 Sep 2021, 6:27 am #8

The off-peak running time has remained the same between Chester and Newcastle but the frequency reduced. I hope that doesn't affect reliability with more people boarding fewer buses per hour

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Sep 2021, 6:30 am #9
(21 Sep 2021, 6:27 am)DeltaMan The off-peak running time has remained the same between Chester and Newcastle but the frequency reduced. I hope that doesn't affect reliability with more people boarding fewer buses per hour

Providing that all these 21s actually run, in the current climate this is probably an increase in the number of buses running per hour...
Dan
21 Sep 2021, 6:30 am #9

(21 Sep 2021, 6:27 am)DeltaMan The off-peak running time has remained the same between Chester and Newcastle but the frequency reduced. I hope that doesn't affect reliability with more people boarding fewer buses per hour

Providing that all these 21s actually run, in the current climate this is probably an increase in the number of buses running per hour...

DeltaMan

21 Sep 2021, 9:22 am #10
(21 Sep 2021, 6:30 am)Dan Providing that all these 21s actually run, in the current climate this is probably an increase in the number of buses running per hour...
Fair point!
DeltaMan
21 Sep 2021, 9:22 am #10

(21 Sep 2021, 6:30 am)Dan Providing that all these 21s actually run, in the current climate this is probably an increase in the number of buses running per hour...
Fair point!

21 Sep 2021, 12:35 pm #11
(21 Sep 2021, 5:21 am)Dan It’s entirely to do with sickness absence - Go North East aren’t actually that short of drivers on paper, but high sickness levels are resulting in the current disruption.

Well that's certainly no the case at my depot, although I work for Arriva. About 120 drivers in total of which about 10 are currently classed as "sick", which is maybe 2 or 3 above average.

Since everything opened up again we are losing around 2 drivers a week, mainly younger ones. We have a couple of new starters this week who have previously been sacked by the company in the past.
Driver9***
21 Sep 2021, 12:35 pm #11

(21 Sep 2021, 5:21 am)Dan It’s entirely to do with sickness absence - Go North East aren’t actually that short of drivers on paper, but high sickness levels are resulting in the current disruption.

Well that's certainly no the case at my depot, although I work for Arriva. About 120 drivers in total of which about 10 are currently classed as "sick", which is maybe 2 or 3 above average.

Since everything opened up again we are losing around 2 drivers a week, mainly younger ones. We have a couple of new starters this week who have previously been sacked by the company in the past.

col87

22 Sep 2021, 7:11 am #12
Am just wondering what the reason is for so many buses between Newcastle and Chester Le Street. The 21 every 7 minutes then the X21 every 30 then add in the 25 and 28/28A and with Arriva X12 they must be a bus ever 4/5 minutes at the very least. If they struggling for drivers would it not make sense to put 21 permanently to every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Chester Le Street and every 30 to Durham and then time the X21 to so it still provides a service every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Durham. Could still perhaps do 10 minutes at busier times such as mornings and rush hour but I really don’t see the point for the majority of the day because they would help with shortages surely.
col87
22 Sep 2021, 7:11 am #12

Am just wondering what the reason is for so many buses between Newcastle and Chester Le Street. The 21 every 7 minutes then the X21 every 30 then add in the 25 and 28/28A and with Arriva X12 they must be a bus ever 4/5 minutes at the very least. If they struggling for drivers would it not make sense to put 21 permanently to every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Chester Le Street and every 30 to Durham and then time the X21 to so it still provides a service every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Durham. Could still perhaps do 10 minutes at busier times such as mornings and rush hour but I really don’t see the point for the majority of the day because they would help with shortages surely.

tcts24

22 Sep 2021, 8:05 am #13
(22 Sep 2021, 7:11 am)col87 Am just wondering what the reason is for so many buses between Newcastle and Chester Le Street.  The 21 every 7 minutes then the X21 every 30 then add in the 25 and 28/28A and with Arriva X12 they must be a bus ever 4/5 minutes at the very least.  If they struggling for drivers would it not make sense to put 21 permanently to every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Chester Le Street and every 30 to Durham and then time the X21 to so it still provides a service every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Durham. Could still perhaps do 10 minutes at busier times such as mornings and rush hour but I really don’t see the point for the majority of the day because they would help with shortages surely.
Not overly familiar with that area but presumably passenger numbers probably warrant such a high frequency.
tcts24
22 Sep 2021, 8:05 am #13

(22 Sep 2021, 7:11 am)col87 Am just wondering what the reason is for so many buses between Newcastle and Chester Le Street.  The 21 every 7 minutes then the X21 every 30 then add in the 25 and 28/28A and with Arriva X12 they must be a bus ever 4/5 minutes at the very least.  If they struggling for drivers would it not make sense to put 21 permanently to every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Chester Le Street and every 30 to Durham and then time the X21 to so it still provides a service every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Durham. Could still perhaps do 10 minutes at busier times such as mornings and rush hour but I really don’t see the point for the majority of the day because they would help with shortages surely.
Not overly familiar with that area but presumably passenger numbers probably warrant such a high frequency.

big mac

22 Sep 2021, 8:07 am #14
(22 Sep 2021, 7:11 am)col87 Am just wondering what the reason is for so many buses between Newcastle and Chester Le Street. The 21 every 7 minutes then the X21 every 30 then add in the 25 and 28/28A and with Arriva X12 they must be a bus ever 4/5 minutes at the very least. If they struggling for drivers would it not make sense to put 21 permanently to every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Chester Le Street and every 30 to Durham and then time the X21 to so it still provides a service every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Durham. Could still perhaps do 10 minutes at busier times such as mornings and rush hour but I really don’t see the point for the majority of the day because they would help with shortages surely.
With the loadings the 21 gets it wouldn't cope with a frequency of every 15 minutes. It would almost certainly get overcrowded at times.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
big mac
22 Sep 2021, 8:07 am #14

(22 Sep 2021, 7:11 am)col87 Am just wondering what the reason is for so many buses between Newcastle and Chester Le Street. The 21 every 7 minutes then the X21 every 30 then add in the 25 and 28/28A and with Arriva X12 they must be a bus ever 4/5 minutes at the very least. If they struggling for drivers would it not make sense to put 21 permanently to every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Chester Le Street and every 30 to Durham and then time the X21 to so it still provides a service every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Durham. Could still perhaps do 10 minutes at busier times such as mornings and rush hour but I really don’t see the point for the majority of the day because they would help with shortages surely.
With the loadings the 21 gets it wouldn't cope with a frequency of every 15 minutes. It would almost certainly get overcrowded at times.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Ambassador

22 Sep 2021, 8:23 am #15

In simple terms demand. There's actually way less buses then there used to be along the corridor in the late 90s, early 00s.

From what I recall the peak loadings are the first part of the Durham Rd corridor itself so Newcastle-Birtley/Barley Mow as opposed to running through to Chester which the 28/28A and for part route, the 25, don't serve. The X12 is now hourly too.

If one 21 is missing you immediately notice the effects at bus stops (particualrly Gateshead Interchange and places like the Cannon and Birtley Station lane)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
22 Sep 2021, 8:23 am #15

In simple terms demand. There's actually way less buses then there used to be along the corridor in the late 90s, early 00s.

From what I recall the peak loadings are the first part of the Durham Rd corridor itself so Newcastle-Birtley/Barley Mow as opposed to running through to Chester which the 28/28A and for part route, the 25, don't serve. The X12 is now hourly too.

If one 21 is missing you immediately notice the effects at bus stops (particualrly Gateshead Interchange and places like the Cannon and Birtley Station lane)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

24 Sep 2021, 6:59 pm #16
i think you'll find that they are very short of drivers on paper. There are empty lines on virtually every rota. In one single month 38 drivers left with only 8 of them being replaced as its takes a while to get new recruits through there test and lot of them don't make it through. On day cancellations are a regular thing and many that are cancelled don't even make it onto the list that is being posted. If people this is all due to a "national driver shortage" because high sickness levels and covid then your very wrong.
CookieMonster
24 Sep 2021, 6:59 pm #16

i think you'll find that they are very short of drivers on paper. There are empty lines on virtually every rota. In one single month 38 drivers left with only 8 of them being replaced as its takes a while to get new recruits through there test and lot of them don't make it through. On day cancellations are a regular thing and many that are cancelled don't even make it onto the list that is being posted. If people this is all due to a "national driver shortage" because high sickness levels and covid then your very wrong.

24 Sep 2021, 7:10 pm #17
(24 Sep 2021, 6:59 pm)CookieMonster i think you'll find that they are very short of drivers on paper. There are empty lines on virtually every rota. In one single month 38 drivers left with only 8 of them being replaced as its takes a while to get new recruits through there test and lot of them don't make it through. On day cancellations are a regular thing and many that are cancelled don't even make it onto the list that is being posted. If people this is all due to a "national driver shortage" because high sickness levels and covid then your very wrong.
The Brexit chicken has come home to roost !
Economic505
24 Sep 2021, 7:10 pm #17

(24 Sep 2021, 6:59 pm)CookieMonster i think you'll find that they are very short of drivers on paper. There are empty lines on virtually every rota. In one single month 38 drivers left with only 8 of them being replaced as its takes a while to get new recruits through there test and lot of them don't make it through. On day cancellations are a regular thing and many that are cancelled don't even make it onto the list that is being posted. If people this is all due to a "national driver shortage" because high sickness levels and covid then your very wrong.
The Brexit chicken has come home to roost !

Adrian

24 Sep 2021, 7:16 pm #18
(24 Sep 2021, 7:10 pm)Economic505 The Brexit chicken has come home to roost !
I'll leave this here... Wink[Image: 385e627f9fe931425af218f272517016.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
24 Sep 2021, 7:16 pm #18

(24 Sep 2021, 7:10 pm)Economic505 The Brexit chicken has come home to roost !
I'll leave this here... Wink[Image: 385e627f9fe931425af218f272517016.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Wybus

04 Oct 2021, 9:00 am #19
This is not great in today's short notice cancellations

X-lines X30 | X31:

From Newcastle: 07:45, 10:15, 10:35, 10:55, 14:35, 16:00, 16:40.
From Stanley: 07:10, 08:34, 10:39, 10:59, 11:20, 15:22, 16:47, 17:30, 19:15, 19:55.

Three consecutive departures meaning no service from 9:55 to 11:15
Wybus
04 Oct 2021, 9:00 am #19

This is not great in today's short notice cancellations

X-lines X30 | X31:

From Stanley: 07:10, 08:34, 10:39, 10:59, 11:20, 15:22, 16:47, 17:30, 19:15, 19:55.

04 Oct 2021, 11:35 am #20
(04 Oct 2021, 9:00 am)Wybus This is not great in today's short notice cancellations

X-lines X30 | X31:

X-lines: don't drive, get stranded.
stagecoachbusdepot
04 Oct 2021, 11:35 am #20

(04 Oct 2021, 9:00 am)Wybus This is not great in today's short notice cancellations

X-lines X30 | X31:

X-lines: don't drive, get stranded.

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average