Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach & National Express merger

Stagecoach & National Express merger

Stagecoach & National Express merger

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
tcts24

21 Sep 2021, 6:32 am #1
I realise it's still early and may have just dreamed it up. But I'm sure they've just mentioned a merger between Stagecoach and First on Radio 4.
tcts24
21 Sep 2021, 6:32 am #1

I realise it's still early and may have just dreamed it up. But I'm sure they've just mentioned a merger between Stagecoach and First on Radio 4.

tcts24

21 Sep 2021, 6:48 am #2
Misheard it. It's apparently National Express and Stagecoach
https://www.cityam.com/national-express-...tagecoach/
tcts24
21 Sep 2021, 6:48 am #2

Misheard it. It's apparently National Express and Stagecoach

Storx

21 Sep 2021, 6:59 am #3
(21 Sep 2021, 6:48 am)tcts24 Misheard it. It's apparently National Express and Stagecoach

Can't see that going down well with the competition commissioner as they won't have any interest in the local routes. It's to get arid of their biggest competitor (Megabus) imo.
Storx
21 Sep 2021, 6:59 am #3

(21 Sep 2021, 6:48 am)tcts24 Misheard it. It's apparently National Express and Stagecoach

Can't see that going down well with the competition commissioner as they won't have any interest in the local routes. It's to get arid of their biggest competitor (Megabus) imo.

21 Sep 2021, 7:18 am #4
(21 Sep 2021, 6:59 am)Storx Can't see that going down well with the competition commissioner as they won't have any interest in the local routes. It's to get arid of their biggest competitor (Megabus) imo.

A very predictable scenario, Stagecoach take NatEx, Megabus can then raise it's prices and still be cheaper than Nat Ex fares over similar routes. Monopolies would have to come in on this, but with this regime, Stagecoach can just go to the DfT and get it quashed with a donation to the Tories...
54APhotography
21 Sep 2021, 7:18 am #4

(21 Sep 2021, 6:59 am)Storx Can't see that going down well with the competition commissioner as they won't have any interest in the local routes. It's to get arid of their biggest competitor (Megabus) imo.

A very predictable scenario, Stagecoach take NatEx, Megabus can then raise it's prices and still be cheaper than Nat Ex fares over similar routes. Monopolies would have to come in on this, but with this regime, Stagecoach can just go to the DfT and get it quashed with a donation to the Tories...

Andreos1

21 Sep 2021, 7:47 am #5

Whilst it's early days, I do think this is a major factor or reasoning behind the deal.
Particularly with the likes of flixbus entering the market. 

I can also see it being the end of Nat Ex routes being operated by some of the other major players and that work being carried out by Stagecoach. As an example, North East based Nat Ex routes would be stabled and operated out of Walkergate should this deal come off.

This is The Guardians take it on it. https://www.theguardian.com/business/202...us-company

(21 Sep 2021, 7:18 am)54APhotography A very predictable scenario, Stagecoach take NatEx, Megabus can then raise it's prices and still be cheaper than Nat Ex fares over similar routes. Monopolies would have to come in on this, but with this regime, Stagecoach can just go to the DfT and get it quashed with a donation to the Tories...

It appears to be the other way around. Nat Ex would be the biggest shareholder and it seems to be them leading the bid.
Edited 21 Sep 2021, 7:52 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Sep 2021, 7:47 am #5

Whilst it's early days, I do think this is a major factor or reasoning behind the deal.

I can also see it being the end of Nat Ex routes being operated by some of the other major players and that work being carried out by Stagecoach. As an example, North East based Nat Ex routes would be stabled and operated out of Walkergate should this deal come off.

This is The Guardians take it on it. https://www.theguardian.com/business/202...us-company

(21 Sep 2021, 7:18 am)54APhotography A very predictable scenario, Stagecoach take NatEx, Megabus can then raise it's prices and still be cheaper than Nat Ex fares over similar routes. Monopolies would have to come in on this, but with this regime, Stagecoach can just go to the DfT and get it quashed with a donation to the Tories...

It appears to be the other way around. Nat Ex would be the biggest shareholder and it seems to be them leading the bid.

21 Sep 2021, 7:56 am #6
(21 Sep 2021, 7:47 am)Andreos1 Whilst it's early days, I do think this is a major factor or reasoning behind the deal.

Surprised that Stagecoach would enter into a merger as the smaller shareholder, Megabus has a small percentage of non-stagecoach owned vehicles, whereas National Express has none. Stagecoach do however have some coaches with National Express. Be interesting to see how this plays out.
54APhotography
21 Sep 2021, 7:56 am #6

(21 Sep 2021, 7:47 am)Andreos1 Whilst it's early days, I do think this is a major factor or reasoning behind the deal.

Surprised that Stagecoach would enter into a merger as the smaller shareholder, Megabus has a small percentage of non-stagecoach owned vehicles, whereas National Express has none. Stagecoach do however have some coaches with National Express. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

N1cholas

21 Sep 2021, 8:01 am #7
How would this merger effect Go north east and other operators around the UK who run Nat Ex services, would they still carry on or would they all be stripped of contracts and all done in house by Nat Ex/Stagecoach, if that happens a mass exodus from GNE to Stagecoach would probably happen or the drivers would move over with the migration of services
N1cholas
21 Sep 2021, 8:01 am #7

How would this merger effect Go north east and other operators around the UK who run Nat Ex services, would they still carry on or would they all be stripped of contracts and all done in house by Nat Ex/Stagecoach, if that happens a mass exodus from GNE to Stagecoach would probably happen or the drivers would move over with the migration of services

cbma06

21 Sep 2021, 8:30 am #8
(21 Sep 2021, 6:32 am)tcts24 I realise it's still early and may have just dreamed it up. But I'm sure they've just mentioned a merger between Stagecoach and First on Radio 4.

Can you rename the title of this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
21 Sep 2021, 8:30 am #8

(21 Sep 2021, 6:32 am)tcts24 I realise it's still early and may have just dreamed it up. But I'm sure they've just mentioned a merger between Stagecoach and First on Radio 4.

Can you rename the title of this thread

DeltaMan

21 Sep 2021, 9:03 am #9
(21 Sep 2021, 8:01 am)N1cholas How would this merger effect Go north east and other operators around the UK who run Nat Ex services, would they still carry on or would they all be stripped of contracts and all done in house by Nat Ex/Stagecoach, if that happens a mass exodus from GNE to Stagecoach would probably happen or the drivers would move over with the migration of services
Nobody knows, but when NX bought a load of coach operators just before covid, they served notice on some franchise operators in those area shortly after. Ironically one of those was Yellow Buses of Bournemouth, which has since taken on Megabus work to replace it!
DeltaMan
21 Sep 2021, 9:03 am #9

(21 Sep 2021, 8:01 am)N1cholas How would this merger effect Go north east and other operators around the UK who run Nat Ex services, would they still carry on or would they all be stripped of contracts and all done in house by Nat Ex/Stagecoach, if that happens a mass exodus from GNE to Stagecoach would probably happen or the drivers would move over with the migration of services
Nobody knows, but when NX bought a load of coach operators just before covid, they served notice on some franchise operators in those area shortly after. Ironically one of those was Yellow Buses of Bournemouth, which has since taken on Megabus work to replace it!

Chris 1

21 Sep 2021, 11:30 am #10
Not the first time these 2 have flirted with the idea of merging. Maybe that explains Nat Ex selling Dundee to McGills?
Chris 1
21 Sep 2021, 11:30 am #10

Not the first time these 2 have flirted with the idea of merging. Maybe that explains Nat Ex selling Dundee to McGills?

citaro5284

21 Sep 2021, 11:35 am #11
Maybe Stagecoach could sell its UK operations to Flix like it did in Europe, thus satisfying any competition issues for the long distance network.

Of course, National Express has just sold Dundee to McGills which would only be the major bit of competition that I think would have been an issue in the local markets.
citaro5284
21 Sep 2021, 11:35 am #11

Maybe Stagecoach could sell its UK operations to Flix like it did in Europe, thus satisfying any competition issues for the long distance network.

Of course, National Express has just sold Dundee to McGills which would only be the major bit of competition that I think would have been an issue in the local markets.

Chris 1

21 Sep 2021, 11:41 am #12
(21 Sep 2021, 11:35 am)citaro5284 Maybe Stagecoach could sell its UK operations to Flix like it did in Europe, thus satisfying any competition issues for the long distance network.

Think there's a small amount around Coventry/Warwick and the Unilink routes.  Nothing insurmountable, I'm sure.
Chris 1
21 Sep 2021, 11:41 am #12

(21 Sep 2021, 11:35 am)citaro5284 Maybe Stagecoach could sell its UK operations to Flix like it did in Europe, thus satisfying any competition issues for the long distance network.

Think there's a small amount around Coventry/Warwick and the Unilink routes.  Nothing insurmountable, I'm sure.

KB59

21 Sep 2021, 11:42 am #13

Few routes around the Coventry, Nuneaton and Leamington Spa area, but not insurmountable. Cheers.
KB59
21 Sep 2021, 11:42 am #13

Few routes around the Coventry, Nuneaton and Leamington Spa area, but not insurmountable. Cheers.

Chris 1

21 Sep 2021, 11:57 am #14

I read a comment on another forum, that I tend to agree with - if they've announced it thus far, and they're already deciding who gets the top jobs then they must have a pretty good idea that there won't be too much trouble with the competition authorities.
Chris 1
21 Sep 2021, 11:57 am #14

I read a comment on another forum, that I tend to agree with - if they've announced it thus far, and they're already deciding who gets the top jobs then they must have a pretty good idea that there won't be too much trouble with the competition authorities.

tcts24

21 Sep 2021, 3:13 pm #15
(21 Sep 2021, 8:30 am)cbma06 Can you rename the title of this thread

Would if I knew how. Probably only done at moderator level.
tcts24
21 Sep 2021, 3:13 pm #15

(21 Sep 2021, 8:30 am)cbma06 Can you rename the title of this thread

Would if I knew how. Probably only done at moderator level.

Storx

21 Sep 2021, 3:37 pm #16
(21 Sep 2021, 11:57 am)Chris 1 I read a comment on another forum, that I tend to agree with - if they've announced it thus far, and they're already deciding who gets the top jobs then they must have a pretty good idea that there won't be too much trouble with the competition authorities.

Aye your probably right tbf like. Guessing they'll just have to sell some routes off if needed but Stagecoach dominate in Scotland anyway especially around Inverness with Megabus, Citylink and them running the local services aswell which are all owned by them so having the same in other areas probably won't bother the commissioner. Believe they had to sell a few routes to Parks when they took a share in Citylink.
Storx
21 Sep 2021, 3:37 pm #16

(21 Sep 2021, 11:57 am)Chris 1 I read a comment on another forum, that I tend to agree with - if they've announced it thus far, and they're already deciding who gets the top jobs then they must have a pretty good idea that there won't be too much trouble with the competition authorities.

Aye your probably right tbf like. Guessing they'll just have to sell some routes off if needed but Stagecoach dominate in Scotland anyway especially around Inverness with Megabus, Citylink and them running the local services aswell which are all owned by them so having the same in other areas probably won't bother the commissioner. Believe they had to sell a few routes to Parks when they took a share in Citylink.

Adrian

21 Sep 2021, 3:42 pm #17

I think the coaching operation would be called in by the CMA, as I don't think the FlixBus operation is significant enough to be deemed a major player yet. 

The bus operation on the other hand, I don't think would present a problem as far as competition goes. I think there's only parts of the West Midlands with competition now, at least since Xplore Dundee was sold on to McGill's.

(21 Sep 2021, 3:13 pm)tcts24 Would if I knew how. Probably only done at moderator level.

Done - its changed now.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
21 Sep 2021, 3:42 pm #17

I think the coaching operation would be called in by the CMA, as I don't think the FlixBus operation is significant enough to be deemed a major player yet. 

The bus operation on the other hand, I don't think would present a problem as far as competition goes. I think there's only parts of the West Midlands with competition now, at least since Xplore Dundee was sold on to McGill's.

(21 Sep 2021, 3:13 pm)tcts24 Would if I knew how. Probably only done at moderator level.

Done - its changed now.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

col87

21 Sep 2021, 9:29 pm #18
It going to be interesting. If this goes though locally I think the following would happen.

Go North East would almost certainly lose out on the coaching side as the new National express/Stagecoach company would likely keep everything in house. I could see one of the Newcastle depots and Sunderland sharing the work up here

I think Hartlepool and Shields depots/network would very likely be sold off or closed with Go North East most likely to buy them. If they don’t sell and close them then Hartlepool would likely lose services and merge with the Teesside network and Shields doing similar with the Sunderland network
col87
21 Sep 2021, 9:29 pm #18

It going to be interesting. If this goes though locally I think the following would happen.

Go North East would almost certainly lose out on the coaching side as the new National express/Stagecoach company would likely keep everything in house. I could see one of the Newcastle depots and Sunderland sharing the work up here

I think Hartlepool and Shields depots/network would very likely be sold off or closed with Go North East most likely to buy them. If they don’t sell and close them then Hartlepool would likely lose services and merge with the Teesside network and Shields doing similar with the Sunderland network

21 Sep 2021, 10:28 pm #19
(21 Sep 2021, 9:29 pm)col87 It going to be interesting.  If this goes though locally I think the following would happen.

I think Hartlepool and Shields depots/network  would very likely be sold off or closed with Go North East most likely to buy them.  If they don’t sell and close them then Hartlepool would likely lose services and merge with the Teesside network and Shields doing similar with the Sunderland network

I doubt any of this would effect our local bus area, not sure why this new entity would want to sell up anywhere when they don’t need to. The coaching side I can see happening, but not immediately as they have a contract with GNE.
deanmachine
21 Sep 2021, 10:28 pm #19

(21 Sep 2021, 9:29 pm)col87 It going to be interesting.  If this goes though locally I think the following would happen.

I think Hartlepool and Shields depots/network  would very likely be sold off or closed with Go North East most likely to buy them.  If they don’t sell and close them then Hartlepool would likely lose services and merge with the Teesside network and Shields doing similar with the Sunderland network

I doubt any of this would effect our local bus area, not sure why this new entity would want to sell up anywhere when they don’t need to. The coaching side I can see happening, but not immediately as they have a contract with GNE.

Andreos1

21 Sep 2021, 10:40 pm #20
(21 Sep 2021, 3:42 pm)Adrian I think the coaching operation would be called in by the CMA, as I don't think the FlixBus operation is significant enough to be deemed a major player yet.  

Done - its changed now.

I think 'yet' is the key word here.
Flixbus raised £500m of investment just a few months ago and if Nat Ex or Megabus are caught napping, they could lose out big time.

I think its important they look to stay ahead of the game here and if they can cut/reduce costs in the meantime through the merger, it seems a no-brainer.

Andreos1
21 Sep 2021, 10:40 pm #20

(21 Sep 2021, 3:42 pm)Adrian I think the coaching operation would be called in by the CMA, as I don't think the FlixBus operation is significant enough to be deemed a major player yet.  

Done - its changed now.

I think 'yet' is the key word here.
Flixbus raised £500m of investment just a few months ago and if Nat Ex or Megabus are caught napping, they could lose out big time.

I think its important they look to stay ahead of the game here and if they can cut/reduce costs in the meantime through the merger, it seems a no-brainer.

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average