Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North Shields Regeneration Plan

North Shields Regeneration Plan

North Shields Regeneration Plan

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 3 46 Next
Andreos1

22 Mar 2022, 9:05 pm #41
https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/news/298...tro-bridge

So many possible threads to put this in!
Plumped for this one. 
Bridge to be replaced and height from road, to be increased by 1.5m

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 Mar 2022, 9:05 pm #41

https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/news/298...tro-bridge

So many possible threads to put this in!
Plumped for this one. 
Bridge to be replaced and height from road, to be increased by 1.5m

Train8261

23 Mar 2022, 8:44 am #42
It's interesting that it says the clearance for Double Decker Buses. Yet no services go under that bridge. The 333 was gonna go under that bridge yet never did
Train8261
23 Mar 2022, 8:44 am #42

It's interesting that it says the clearance for Double Decker Buses. Yet no services go under that bridge. The 333 was gonna go under that bridge yet never did

Andreos1

23 Mar 2022, 11:46 am #43
(23 Mar 2022, 8:44 am)Train8261 It's interesting that it says the clearance for Double Decker Buses. Yet no services go under that bridge.  The 333 was gonna go under that bridge yet never did
Yet...

If Nexus are spending that much money, you would hope that at the very least, they will re-route something down there.
Or, an operator with an ounce of commercial sense would explore opportunities and direct something via Tanners Bank to make full use of the ferry, fish quay, Tynemouth and the coast.

As for the 333, I genuinely never understood why it took the route it did, missing out the centre of Tynemouth.
The seemingly never ending loops back and forth around the fish quay and North Shields did my head in and surely didn't make the most of the opportunities the road network offered.

Andreos1
23 Mar 2022, 11:46 am #43

(23 Mar 2022, 8:44 am)Train8261 It's interesting that it says the clearance for Double Decker Buses. Yet no services go under that bridge.  The 333 was gonna go under that bridge yet never did
Yet...

If Nexus are spending that much money, you would hope that at the very least, they will re-route something down there.
Or, an operator with an ounce of commercial sense would explore opportunities and direct something via Tanners Bank to make full use of the ferry, fish quay, Tynemouth and the coast.

As for the 333, I genuinely never understood why it took the route it did, missing out the centre of Tynemouth.
The seemingly never ending loops back and forth around the fish quay and North Shields did my head in and surely didn't make the most of the opportunities the road network offered.

Storx

23 Mar 2022, 11:56 am #44
(23 Mar 2022, 11:46 am)Andreos1 Yet...

I have a feeling it might be an opposite idea of attempting to shut the fish quay down at the bottom for everything but buses during the summer months without causing lorries having to travel through the centre of Shields when they're heading down to the fish quay etc.

It would massively benefit the area, having the extra space like they did during Covid.
Storx
23 Mar 2022, 11:56 am #44

I have a feeling it might be an opposite idea of attempting to shut the fish quay down at the bottom for everything but buses during the summer months without causing lorries having to travel through the centre of Shields when they're heading down to the fish quay etc.

It would massively benefit the area, having the extra space like they did during Covid.

Train8261

23 Mar 2022, 1:11 pm #45

The seemingly never ending loops back and forth around the fish quay and North Shields did my head in and surely didn't make the most of the opportunities the road network offered
The route would have missed out the route the 306 does when Leaving North Shields. It still showed it serving the Fish Quay(the turn around point near Tanners Bank) and North Shields yet the part people complain about was the part where it leaves the ferry and heads straight along to the fish Quay. For some reason that was the problem why the 333 was rerouted
Train8261
23 Mar 2022, 1:11 pm #45

The seemingly never ending loops back and forth around the fish quay and North Shields did my head in and surely didn't make the most of the opportunities the road network offered
The route would have missed out the route the 306 does when Leaving North Shields. It still showed it serving the Fish Quay(the turn around point near Tanners Bank) and North Shields yet the part people complain about was the part where it leaves the ferry and heads straight along to the fish Quay. For some reason that was the problem why the 333 was rerouted

Busu284

28 Jul 2023, 8:17 pm #46
Bit of an update to this

North Shields Interchange has made some major progress over the last few weeks especially

The road layout is starting to take place. The sign North Shields Transport Hub is now up on the Bedford Street side of the Interchange and the planned opening date if anything by the changes for September shows it'll be open early September before the 3rd or late August
Busu284
28 Jul 2023, 8:17 pm #46

Bit of an update to this

North Shields Interchange has made some major progress over the last few weeks especially

The road layout is starting to take place. The sign North Shields Transport Hub is now up on the Bedford Street side of the Interchange and the planned opening date if anything by the changes for September shows it'll be open early September before the 3rd or late August

V514DFT

29 Jul 2023, 9:36 am #47
(28 Jul 2023, 8:17 pm)Busu284 Bit of an update to this

Yes and this week they started putting the sign up on the Rudyerd Street side, and started planting Trees,i have been informed that once the hub is open, they are going to be redoing the paving on Bedford Street (atleast),this work will be done at night to avoid disruption

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
29 Jul 2023, 9:36 am #47

Yes and this week they started putting the sign up on the Rudyerd Street side, and started planting Trees,i have been informed that once the hub is open, they are going to be redoing the paving on Bedford Street (atleast),this work will be done at night to avoid disruption

Kind Regards
Tez

Storx

29 Jul 2023, 10:00 am #48
Still think this is a complete waste of money. I don't understand the need for a bus station there. No-one goes to North Shields as there's nothing there and a bus station won't change that and the interchange is in the complete wrong place where exactly can you interchange from without travelling 10/15 minutes in the complete wrong direction.

It's got white elephant like Four Lane Ends written all over it.
Storx
29 Jul 2023, 10:00 am #48

Still think this is a complete waste of money. I don't understand the need for a bus station there. No-one goes to North Shields as there's nothing there and a bus station won't change that and the interchange is in the complete wrong place where exactly can you interchange from without travelling 10/15 minutes in the complete wrong direction.

Rob44

29 Jul 2023, 12:12 pm #49
surely a transport hub/bus station might attracted people to shop in the area? That what i would assume the thinking was/
Rob44
29 Jul 2023, 12:12 pm #49

surely a transport hub/bus station might attracted people to shop in the area? That what i would assume the thinking was/

Storx

29 Jul 2023, 12:29 pm #50
(29 Jul 2023, 12:12 pm)Rob44 surely a transport hub/bus station might attracted people to shop in the area?  That what i would assume the thinking was/

Does it though? If there's nothing there, not sure what difference it would make. Personally I'd rather have a bus stopping at multiple points so I could get on at one end of the street do my business and get on at the other end of the street. Unless the bus is very late, I'm not planning to be in the interchange / bus stop more than 5 minutes.

Darlington is arguably one of the strongest places buses in the North East and the lack of a bus station doesn't seem a problem there.

I know in Blyth there was lots of complaining when they swapped the X7 and X9 around in South Beach as the pensioners couldn't get on the bus on the main street anymore to go to Amersham Drive so suggests I'm not in the minority.

The only place I'd care about a waiting area is on an interchange where I can't control the timings so may have to wait 15 minutes or whatever.
Storx
29 Jul 2023, 12:29 pm #50

(29 Jul 2023, 12:12 pm)Rob44 surely a transport hub/bus station might attracted people to shop in the area?  That what i would assume the thinking was/

Does it though? If there's nothing there, not sure what difference it would make. Personally I'd rather have a bus stopping at multiple points so I could get on at one end of the street do my business and get on at the other end of the street. Unless the bus is very late, I'm not planning to be in the interchange / bus stop more than 5 minutes.

Darlington is arguably one of the strongest places buses in the North East and the lack of a bus station doesn't seem a problem there.

I know in Blyth there was lots of complaining when they swapped the X7 and X9 around in South Beach as the pensioners couldn't get on the bus on the main street anymore to go to Amersham Drive so suggests I'm not in the minority.

The only place I'd care about a waiting area is on an interchange where I can't control the timings so may have to wait 15 minutes or whatever.

Rob44

29 Jul 2023, 12:36 pm #51
(29 Jul 2023, 12:29 pm)Storx Does it though? If there's nothing there, not sure what difference it would make. Personally I'd rather have a bus stopping at multiple points so I could get on at one end of the street do my business and get on at the other end of the street. Unless the bus is very late, I'm not planning to be in the interchange / bus stop more than 5 minutes.

north shields i canny compact though?  I know darlo well from my gambling days and you are right there;s no bus station but i didnt think buses stopped at multiple point? i though each bus stop was for a certain service to if yhou wanted the 1 to boro you would still have to walk to that bus stop, no difference to a bus station?
Rob44
29 Jul 2023, 12:36 pm #51

(29 Jul 2023, 12:29 pm)Storx Does it though? If there's nothing there, not sure what difference it would make. Personally I'd rather have a bus stopping at multiple points so I could get on at one end of the street do my business and get on at the other end of the street. Unless the bus is very late, I'm not planning to be in the interchange / bus stop more than 5 minutes.

north shields i canny compact though?  I know darlo well from my gambling days and you are right there;s no bus station but i didnt think buses stopped at multiple point? i though each bus stop was for a certain service to if yhou wanted the 1 to boro you would still have to walk to that bus stop, no difference to a bus station?

Storx

29 Jul 2023, 1:16 pm #52
(29 Jul 2023, 12:36 pm)Rob44 north shields i canny compact though?  I know darlo well from my gambling days and you are right there;s no bus station but i didnt think buses stopped at multiple point? i though each bus stop was for a certain service to if yhou wanted the 1 to boro you would still have to walk to that bus stop, no difference to a bus station?

They all do a loop nowadays don't they, not sure if every bus does but I believe they do.

Stop at Northgate to the North of the Town then travel through and stop at Tubwell Row at the bottom of the town don't they which is pretty much both ends? Easily get off at one and travel down to the other.

See I think North Shields would be a good to have a loop around and just loop everything around it which they did until reletively recently where you used to get off outside the Metro and then get on at either the Library or the end of Bedford Street until they pissed around blocking roads off around Stephenson Square. It's stupid where the 306 stop is now since they done that.
Storx
29 Jul 2023, 1:16 pm #52

(29 Jul 2023, 12:36 pm)Rob44 north shields i canny compact though?  I know darlo well from my gambling days and you are right there;s no bus station but i didnt think buses stopped at multiple point? i though each bus stop was for a certain service to if yhou wanted the 1 to boro you would still have to walk to that bus stop, no difference to a bus station?

They all do a loop nowadays don't they, not sure if every bus does but I believe they do.

Stop at Northgate to the North of the Town then travel through and stop at Tubwell Row at the bottom of the town don't they which is pretty much both ends? Easily get off at one and travel down to the other.

See I think North Shields would be a good to have a loop around and just loop everything around it which they did until reletively recently where you used to get off outside the Metro and then get on at either the Library or the end of Bedford Street until they pissed around blocking roads off around Stephenson Square. It's stupid where the 306 stop is now since they done that.

busmanT

29 Jul 2023, 5:28 pm #53
(29 Jul 2023, 10:00 am)Storx Still think this is a complete waste of money. I don't understand the need for a bus station there. No-one goes to North Shields as there's nothing there and a bus station won't change that and the interchange is in the complete wrong place where exactly can you interchange from without travelling 10/15 minutes in the complete wrong direction.

Interchange with Metro?
Or Interchange with buses to/from the Ferry
Or Interchange with buses to/from the Hospital

The elected representatives on North Tyneside Council obviously think that there is a need.
busmanT
29 Jul 2023, 5:28 pm #53

(29 Jul 2023, 10:00 am)Storx Still think this is a complete waste of money. I don't understand the need for a bus station there. No-one goes to North Shields as there's nothing there and a bus station won't change that and the interchange is in the complete wrong place where exactly can you interchange from without travelling 10/15 minutes in the complete wrong direction.

Interchange with Metro?

The elected representatives on North Tyneside Council obviously think that there is a need.

29 Jul 2023, 5:48 pm #54

Nice timing before my visit to the area later in September.  Smile
MetrolineGA1511
29 Jul 2023, 5:48 pm #54

Nice timing before my visit to the area later in September.  Smile

Storx

29 Jul 2023, 10:08 pm #55
(29 Jul 2023, 5:28 pm)busmanT Interchange with Metro?

Don't see why you'd interchange there though for the Metro it's just the wrong direction and heading South to head West or East and the buses are infrequent bar the services which run parallel to the Metro pretty much anyway. Similar with the hospital there's direct buses from most places to it and if not you'd likely swap at Whitley anyway where there's 9 BPH vs 2 BPH at North Shields. 

Aren't the buses from the Ferry pretty much dead due to the bad timings now with most people choosing to walk instead. 

Just seems like a checkbox exercise that they're 'doing' something to me. Not to mention the most popular bus route in North Shields (306) is very unlikely to serve the thing anyway and unless there's changes the 1 will only serve it in one direction aswell.
Storx
29 Jul 2023, 10:08 pm #55

(29 Jul 2023, 5:28 pm)busmanT Interchange with Metro?

Don't see why you'd interchange there though for the Metro it's just the wrong direction and heading South to head West or East and the buses are infrequent bar the services which run parallel to the Metro pretty much anyway. Similar with the hospital there's direct buses from most places to it and if not you'd likely swap at Whitley anyway where there's 9 BPH vs 2 BPH at North Shields. 

Aren't the buses from the Ferry pretty much dead due to the bad timings now with most people choosing to walk instead. 

Just seems like a checkbox exercise that they're 'doing' something to me. Not to mention the most popular bus route in North Shields (306) is very unlikely to serve the thing anyway and unless there's changes the 1 will only serve it in one direction aswell.

Adrian

30 Jul 2023, 9:30 pm #56

It's part of wider regeneration through a masterplan for North Shields.

It's good to see infrastructure being one of the first developments, rather than the usual afterthought it becomes in most places.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Jul 2023, 9:30 pm #56

It's part of wider regeneration through a masterplan for North Shields.

It's good to see infrastructure being one of the first developments, rather than the usual afterthought it becomes in most places.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Busu284

24 Aug 2023, 12:35 pm #57
Yesterday Bedford Street closed and all buses are stopping on Railway Terrace till the new Interchange opens
Busu284
24 Aug 2023, 12:35 pm #57

Yesterday Bedford Street closed and all buses are stopping on Railway Terrace till the new Interchange opens

busmanT

01 Sep 2023, 4:27 pm #58
(24 Aug 2023, 12:35 pm)Busu284 Yesterday Bedford Street closed and all buses are stopping on Railway Terrace till the new Interchange opens

Official opening of the North Shields transport hub tomorrow - https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/news/325...th-shields
busmanT
01 Sep 2023, 4:27 pm #58

(24 Aug 2023, 12:35 pm)Busu284 Yesterday Bedford Street closed and all buses are stopping on Railway Terrace till the new Interchange opens

Official opening of the North Shields transport hub tomorrow - https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/news/325...th-shields

Ambassador

01 Sep 2023, 9:18 pm #59
(30 Jul 2023, 9:30 pm)Adrian It's part of wider regeneration through a masterplan for North Shields.

Is it really an infrastructure development of note though? 

You’ve (well not you directly of course) built an interchange station nobody wanted. Buses served the centre, the metro station is what it is and the ferry is so badly integrated you’d be better off swimming. 

The compelling reason to visit has to be the retail or bespoke offering which doesn’t exist. Fish Quay is car and taxi heavy and North Shields town centre is an utter dive.

The sensible investment would have been to lower rates, encourage investment in the town, open up bespoke retail, leisure etc then think about a shiny new interchange.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
01 Sep 2023, 9:18 pm #59

(30 Jul 2023, 9:30 pm)Adrian It's part of wider regeneration through a masterplan for North Shields.

Is it really an infrastructure development of note though? 

You’ve (well not you directly of course) built an interchange station nobody wanted. Buses served the centre, the metro station is what it is and the ferry is so badly integrated you’d be better off swimming. 

The compelling reason to visit has to be the retail or bespoke offering which doesn’t exist. Fish Quay is car and taxi heavy and North Shields town centre is an utter dive.

The sensible investment would have been to lower rates, encourage investment in the town, open up bespoke retail, leisure etc then think about a shiny new interchange.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Busu284

01 Sep 2023, 9:30 pm #60
(01 Sep 2023, 9:18 pm)Ambassador Is it really an infrastructure development of note though? 

Buses server the centre. What are you on about. They stopped at the bottom of Bedford Street. I'd say the Interchange is a welcome. The amount of criticism to the Interchange is purely cause it doesn't have enough buses to serve it. Alright have you seen before it was open where they stopped

1/317/53 Bedford Street 
10/11/307 Rudyerd Street 
317/Metro Replacement Railway Terrace 

Having them all in one building makes it easier then having to do to 3 difficult places to get a bus service. Plus once it was demolished. Everything went onto Bedford Street and look how packed that became. The cars weren't helping either. The Interchange will do well
Busu284
01 Sep 2023, 9:30 pm #60

(01 Sep 2023, 9:18 pm)Ambassador Is it really an infrastructure development of note though? 

Buses server the centre. What are you on about. They stopped at the bottom of Bedford Street. I'd say the Interchange is a welcome. The amount of criticism to the Interchange is purely cause it doesn't have enough buses to serve it. Alright have you seen before it was open where they stopped

1/317/53 Bedford Street 
10/11/307 Rudyerd Street 
317/Metro Replacement Railway Terrace 

Having them all in one building makes it easier then having to do to 3 difficult places to get a bus service. Plus once it was demolished. Everything went onto Bedford Street and look how packed that became. The cars weren't helping either. The Interchange will do well

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 3 46 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average