Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Lack of Reliability of X9/X10 Coaches

Lack of Reliability of X9/X10 Coaches

Lack of Reliability of X9/X10 Coaches

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Michael

30 Nov 2021, 9:39 am #21
(30 Nov 2021, 9:28 am)Dan Their argument would have more substance if there wasn't any spare coaches of a similar specification, and conventional buses were regularly being allocated.

That clearly isn't the case - given usual spare vehicle ratios are around 12-14% of PVR, this clearly shows Go North East has identified reliability issues with the interdeck coaches and put adequate measures in place to address this, by increasing spare provision to an almost 100% percentage.

What are the problems with them?

Are GNE working with Volvo to sort the issues out?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Nov 2021, 9:39 am #21

(30 Nov 2021, 9:28 am)Dan Their argument would have more substance if there wasn't any spare coaches of a similar specification, and conventional buses were regularly being allocated.

That clearly isn't the case - given usual spare vehicle ratios are around 12-14% of PVR, this clearly shows Go North East has identified reliability issues with the interdeck coaches and put adequate measures in place to address this, by increasing spare provision to an almost 100% percentage.

What are the problems with them?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

30 Nov 2021, 10:43 am #22
(30 Nov 2021, 9:39 am)Michael What are the problems with them?

I'd be concerned about the cost of sorting them out, presumably due to their age (and acquiring them used) means they're out of warranty and anything would have to be done at GNE's expense
streetdeckfan
30 Nov 2021, 10:43 am #22

(30 Nov 2021, 9:39 am)Michael What are the problems with them?

I'd be concerned about the cost of sorting them out, presumably due to their age (and acquiring them used) means they're out of warranty and anything would have to be done at GNE's expense

mb134

30 Nov 2021, 10:54 am #23
(30 Nov 2021, 12:39 am)Train8261 Tbh they don't seem suitable to the route. 

Reliability issues with second hand stock does not mean they're not suitable for the route. They're arguably the most suitable vehicles for that sort of route (Stagecoach operate the exact same vehicle type on similar services, and Megabus work, without anywhere near as much issue).

Part of the reliability issues is possibly down to GNE engineering still getting used to them, their common problems, and likely having to consult with Volvo on major issues. They're unique vehicles within GNE (possibly also within GAG?), so it's not as if they'll have mountains of spare parts lying around either - and the wait time on parts at the moment is lengthy I'm led to believe.

(30 Nov 2021, 9:19 am)Train8261 If they were to be replaced. I'd say something like the
Volvo B8L ADL Enviro400XLB would be a great fit to the X9/X10 (that's if the coaches ever left)

No they wouldn't. 

A Scania powered MMC or the 6 cylinder Streetdeck would be far more likely, and suitable, options.
Edited 30 Nov 2021, 10:56 am by mb134.
mb134
30 Nov 2021, 10:54 am #23

(30 Nov 2021, 12:39 am)Train8261 Tbh they don't seem suitable to the route. 

Reliability issues with second hand stock does not mean they're not suitable for the route. They're arguably the most suitable vehicles for that sort of route (Stagecoach operate the exact same vehicle type on similar services, and Megabus work, without anywhere near as much issue).

Part of the reliability issues is possibly down to GNE engineering still getting used to them, their common problems, and likely having to consult with Volvo on major issues. They're unique vehicles within GNE (possibly also within GAG?), so it's not as if they'll have mountains of spare parts lying around either - and the wait time on parts at the moment is lengthy I'm led to believe.

(30 Nov 2021, 9:19 am)Train8261 If they were to be replaced. I'd say something like the
Volvo B8L ADL Enviro400XLB would be a great fit to the X9/X10 (that's if the coaches ever left)

No they wouldn't. 

A Scania powered MMC or the 6 cylinder Streetdeck would be far more likely, and suitable, options.

Train8261

30 Nov 2021, 11:30 am #24
(30 Nov 2021, 10:54 am)mb134 Reliability issues with second hand stock does not mean they're not suitable for the route. They're arguably the most suitable vehicles for that sort of route (Stagecoach operate the exact same vehicle type on similar services, and Megabus work, without anywhere near as much issue).

No they wouldn't. 

How long have the coaches now. You think they would have gotten used to it now
Train8261
30 Nov 2021, 11:30 am #24

(30 Nov 2021, 10:54 am)mb134 Reliability issues with second hand stock does not mean they're not suitable for the route. They're arguably the most suitable vehicles for that sort of route (Stagecoach operate the exact same vehicle type on similar services, and Megabus work, without anywhere near as much issue).

No they wouldn't. 

How long have the coaches now. You think they would have gotten used to it now

30 Nov 2021, 11:37 am #25
Mechanically they are no different to the Caetano Levantes (well the Mk2 version) used on NatEx work, they all being Volvo B11RTs. Not sure if they gearboxes are the same. It could also be some other issue that just affects the Elite-i such as failed destination equipment which is a pain to replace or the entrance doors.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
30 Nov 2021, 11:37 am #25

Mechanically they are no different to the Caetano Levantes (well the Mk2 version) used on NatEx work, they all being Volvo B11RTs. Not sure if they gearboxes are the same. It could also be some other issue that just affects the Elite-i such as failed destination equipment which is a pain to replace or the entrance doors.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Adrian

30 Nov 2021, 11:45 am #26

No they wouldn't. 

Agree that the Scania powered Enviros would be ideal, but after the song and dance when introducing luxury/executive coaches onto the route earlier this year, I fear that reverting back to a normal service bus would be seen as a downgrade. I'd say it'd also not be as appealing to those looking to switch over from the train.

The introduction of the second-hand coaches was a good move, and takes the service to a new level in my opinion, but clearly there's a cost vs benefit argument to be had in the near-future here, and a dilemma that is of the operator's own creation.

(30 Nov 2021, 11:30 am)Train8261 How long have the coaches now. You think they would have gotten used to it now

Do you work in engineering? If not, then I'm not sure how you can make sure a comment.

Perhaps you can enlighten us on how long it takes to be able to support a particular vehicle type fluently?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Nov 2021, 11:45 am #26

No they wouldn't. 

Agree that the Scania powered Enviros would be ideal, but after the song and dance when introducing luxury/executive coaches onto the route earlier this year, I fear that reverting back to a normal service bus would be seen as a downgrade. I'd say it'd also not be as appealing to those looking to switch over from the train.

The introduction of the second-hand coaches was a good move, and takes the service to a new level in my opinion, but clearly there's a cost vs benefit argument to be had in the near-future here, and a dilemma that is of the operator's own creation.

(30 Nov 2021, 11:30 am)Train8261 How long have the coaches now. You think they would have gotten used to it now

Do you work in engineering? If not, then I'm not sure how you can make sure a comment.

Perhaps you can enlighten us on how long it takes to be able to support a particular vehicle type fluently?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

30 Nov 2021, 4:48 pm #27
I can only assume it was their previous use that rendered them unreliable, Megabus B11RTs are great at their job. The Oxford tube was a punishing service, Astromegas suffered as well.

They're not bad, they perhaps just needed a bit more than Crowther could offer in terms of uplift..
54APhotography
30 Nov 2021, 4:48 pm #27

I can only assume it was their previous use that rendered them unreliable, Megabus B11RTs are great at their job. The Oxford tube was a punishing service, Astromegas suffered as well.

They're not bad, they perhaps just needed a bit more than Crowther could offer in terms of uplift..

Keeiajs

30 Nov 2021, 5:37 pm #28
When X9/X10 bus is off I don't know about you but I would much rather have Streetdeck or E400 covering. 

And I think Dan mentioned USB's on the white coaches, they do however it would be amazing if they actually worked
Keeiajs
30 Nov 2021, 5:37 pm #28

When X9/X10 bus is off I don't know about you but I would much rather have Streetdeck or E400 covering. 

And I think Dan mentioned USB's on the white coaches, they do however it would be amazing if they actually worked

LVK 404L

30 Nov 2021, 6:37 pm #29
(30 Nov 2021, 5:37 pm)Keeiajs When X9/X10 bus is off I don't know about you but I would much rather have Streetdeck or E400 covering. 

Are you a regular user of these services, ie 3 to 5 days a week, return journeys?
LVK 404L
30 Nov 2021, 6:37 pm #29

(30 Nov 2021, 5:37 pm)Keeiajs When X9/X10 bus is off I don't know about you but I would much rather have Streetdeck or E400 covering. 

Are you a regular user of these services, ie 3 to 5 days a week, return journeys?

30 Nov 2021, 6:38 pm #30
(30 Nov 2021, 6:37 pm)ifm001 Are you a regular user of these services, ie 3 to 5 days a week, return journeys?

Judging by their posts, they're a regular of every service going
streetdeckfan
30 Nov 2021, 6:38 pm #30

(30 Nov 2021, 6:37 pm)ifm001 Are you a regular user of these services, ie 3 to 5 days a week, return journeys?

Judging by their posts, they're a regular of every service going

Train8261

30 Nov 2021, 7:34 pm #31

Where I've never seen them
Train8261
30 Nov 2021, 7:34 pm #31

Where I've never seen them

Keeiajs

30 Nov 2021, 8:39 pm #32
(30 Nov 2021, 7:34 pm)Train8261 Where I've never seen them
There right at the bottom, really hard to see as they are not lit up because they don't work.

Yeah.

(30 Nov 2021, 6:38 pm)streetdeckfan Judging by their posts, they're a regular of every service going
Not every service thanks. But I do use a lot of GNE.
Edited 30 Nov 2021, 8:45 pm by Keeiajs.
Keeiajs
30 Nov 2021, 8:39 pm #32

(30 Nov 2021, 7:34 pm)Train8261 Where I've never seen them
There right at the bottom, really hard to see as they are not lit up because they don't work.

Yeah.

(30 Nov 2021, 6:38 pm)streetdeckfan Judging by their posts, they're a regular of every service going
Not every service thanks. But I do use a lot of GNE.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average