Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Connections 4 Amazon runs

Connections 4 Amazon runs

Connections 4 Amazon runs

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3
03 Jan 2022, 10:51 pm #41
(03 Jan 2022, 9:27 pm)Rapidsnap I think in some cases, it's part of the planning permission for Amazon to pay towards public transport to serve the area of the site. Though it doesn't apply to all Amazon locations.

Follingsby Park is just sadly in an awkward location meaning either a service terminating there and returning to Heworth, or buses having to loop back on themselves to carry on to their destination. A way around it is to alternate journeys via Amazon, but again would leave an uneven timetable and even worse longer gaps in certain locations between runs if there was a bus missing.
The only other alternatives would be a 4A or 4X, but that could present other problems in in terms of PVR & Routing.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
03 Jan 2022, 10:51 pm #41

(03 Jan 2022, 9:27 pm)Rapidsnap I think in some cases, it's part of the planning permission for Amazon to pay towards public transport to serve the area of the site. Though it doesn't apply to all Amazon locations.

Follingsby Park is just sadly in an awkward location meaning either a service terminating there and returning to Heworth, or buses having to loop back on themselves to carry on to their destination. A way around it is to alternate journeys via Amazon, but again would leave an uneven timetable and even worse longer gaps in certain locations between runs if there was a bus missing.
The only other alternatives would be a 4A or 4X, but that could present other problems in in terms of PVR & Routing.

Andreos1

04 Jan 2022, 10:21 am #42
(03 Jan 2022, 5:31 pm)Adrian Seems a bit odd to walk 10 mins to avoid an extra couple of minutes on a bus, and then put someone out in giving him a lift home, to avoid a couple extra minutes on the way back. Each to their own I suppose, but I don't think many would use it as a reason to boycott a service.

The 294/M2 diversion (M3 did Stephenson Road/Northumbria Centre) was about the same as the Follingsby extension in adding time to the service. I suppose it worked both ways though, because people heading to Shiney College would use the 294 instead with it dropping off outside the door.

I suppose its not ideal for any service to extend in running time, but at the same time they should serve key spots on a route and not ignore them. Follinsby is a key employment spot on the 4 route for me, and I'm not sure how else you'd serve the park. The old 994 shuttle from Heworth carried nothing but fresh air for years, but clearly Amazon being there has presented a new opportunity that has been acted on.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It's an interesting one. However broken down, that 10min walk and then taking up the offer of a lift on the way back, probably saved quite a bit of time overall and allowed him to avoid getting to know the roundabout a little more than he does already.

Back in the day before the 294 was extended to Shiney College and was the Harraton/Rickleton bus, that Coach Road diversion was even less of a pull for those travelling that little further on it.

It would be interesting to know where the the Amazon workforce were actually travelling from ahead of their shift and the same after a shift. Particularly if GNE are wanting 100% of the fare revenue vs a proportion of it (assuming punters are starting off on a Metro, SNE or ANE bus).

There's also the fact that the road through Follingsby to Nissan is of a lot higher standard than it was in years gone by and has opened up other routes, beyond a simple in and out job off like we see currently or in the past with the 994.
Edited 04 Jan 2022, 10:25 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Jan 2022, 10:21 am #42

(03 Jan 2022, 5:31 pm)Adrian Seems a bit odd to walk 10 mins to avoid an extra couple of minutes on a bus, and then put someone out in giving him a lift home, to avoid a couple extra minutes on the way back. Each to their own I suppose, but I don't think many would use it as a reason to boycott a service.

The 294/M2 diversion (M3 did Stephenson Road/Northumbria Centre) was about the same as the Follingsby extension in adding time to the service. I suppose it worked both ways though, because people heading to Shiney College would use the 294 instead with it dropping off outside the door.

I suppose its not ideal for any service to extend in running time, but at the same time they should serve key spots on a route and not ignore them. Follinsby is a key employment spot on the 4 route for me, and I'm not sure how else you'd serve the park. The old 994 shuttle from Heworth carried nothing but fresh air for years, but clearly Amazon being there has presented a new opportunity that has been acted on.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It's an interesting one. However broken down, that 10min walk and then taking up the offer of a lift on the way back, probably saved quite a bit of time overall and allowed him to avoid getting to know the roundabout a little more than he does already.

Back in the day before the 294 was extended to Shiney College and was the Harraton/Rickleton bus, that Coach Road diversion was even less of a pull for those travelling that little further on it.

It would be interesting to know where the the Amazon workforce were actually travelling from ahead of their shift and the same after a shift. Particularly if GNE are wanting 100% of the fare revenue vs a proportion of it (assuming punters are starting off on a Metro, SNE or ANE bus).

There's also the fact that the road through Follingsby to Nissan is of a lot higher standard than it was in years gone by and has opened up other routes, beyond a simple in and out job off like we see currently or in the past with the 994.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Adrian

04 Jan 2022, 11:04 am #43
(04 Jan 2022, 10:21 am)Andreos1 It's an interesting one. However broken down, that 10min walk and then taking up the offer of a lift on the way back, probably saved quite a bit of time overall and allowed him to avoid getting to know the roundabout a little more than he does already.

Follingsby Lane being upgraded is positive, but it still leaves you extremely limited in what you can do in terms of a bus service. 

I don't think any operator will be considering another Sunderland to Newcastle, via North Sunderland estates service anytime soon, which leaves you with extending the Stagecoach 4, GNE 35 or creating a variation to the 56. The latter might sound the more sensible of the three, but you'd then be removing half of the 56 runs from Washington and Springwell Village.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Jan 2022, 11:04 am #43

(04 Jan 2022, 10:21 am)Andreos1 It's an interesting one. However broken down, that 10min walk and then taking up the offer of a lift on the way back, probably saved quite a bit of time overall and allowed him to avoid getting to know the roundabout a little more than he does already.

Follingsby Lane being upgraded is positive, but it still leaves you extremely limited in what you can do in terms of a bus service. 

I don't think any operator will be considering another Sunderland to Newcastle, via North Sunderland estates service anytime soon, which leaves you with extending the Stagecoach 4, GNE 35 or creating a variation to the 56. The latter might sound the more sensible of the three, but you'd then be removing half of the 56 runs from Washington and Springwell Village.

Storx

04 Jan 2022, 11:55 am #44
(04 Jan 2022, 11:04 am)Adrian Follingsby Lane being upgraded is positive, but it still leaves you extremely limited in what you can do in terms of a bus service. 

Surely the X24 and X34 would be the best routes to send along there. The former is quiet half the time anyway and the X34 if they promised an evening service I'm sure wouldn't be an issue for those in Marden for an extra few minutes. Would be useful for Stagecoach as they'd have a flow of passengers in the opposite directions during the peaks. (Out of Newcastle AM, in Newcastle PM) which are dead atm.

15 minute service for doing not an awful lot with Sunderland and parts of South Shields connected.
Storx
04 Jan 2022, 11:55 am #44

(04 Jan 2022, 11:04 am)Adrian Follingsby Lane being upgraded is positive, but it still leaves you extremely limited in what you can do in terms of a bus service. 

Surely the X24 and X34 would be the best routes to send along there. The former is quiet half the time anyway and the X34 if they promised an evening service I'm sure wouldn't be an issue for those in Marden for an extra few minutes. Would be useful for Stagecoach as they'd have a flow of passengers in the opposite directions during the peaks. (Out of Newcastle AM, in Newcastle PM) which are dead atm.

15 minute service for doing not an awful lot with Sunderland and parts of South Shields connected.

04 Jan 2022, 6:18 pm #45
(04 Jan 2022, 10:21 am)Andreos1 It would be interesting to know where the the Amazon workforce were actually travelling from ahead of their shift and the same after a shift. Particularly if GNE are wanting 100% of the fare revenue vs a proportion of it (assuming punters are starting off on a Metro, SNE or ANE bus).

I wondered this for whoever it is uses the 02xx Connections4 service from Amazon to Heworth as there's no Metros at that time
stagecoachbusdepot
04 Jan 2022, 6:18 pm #45

(04 Jan 2022, 10:21 am)Andreos1 It would be interesting to know where the the Amazon workforce were actually travelling from ahead of their shift and the same after a shift. Particularly if GNE are wanting 100% of the fare revenue vs a proportion of it (assuming punters are starting off on a Metro, SNE or ANE bus).

I wondered this for whoever it is uses the 02xx Connections4 service from Amazon to Heworth as there's no Metros at that time

Adrian

04 Jan 2022, 6:36 pm #46
(04 Jan 2022, 6:18 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I wondered this for whoever it is uses the 02xx Connections4 service from Amazon to Heworth as there's no Metros at that time

It's a bit of an odd run, but I assume something Amazon have asked for specifically, and I suppose there's plenty in reasonable walking distance from Heworth Metro, whereas there's nothing in reasonable walking distance of the Amazon site.

Adrian
04 Jan 2022, 6:36 pm #46

(04 Jan 2022, 6:18 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I wondered this for whoever it is uses the 02xx Connections4 service from Amazon to Heworth as there's no Metros at that time

It's a bit of an odd run, but I assume something Amazon have asked for specifically, and I suppose there's plenty in reasonable walking distance from Heworth Metro, whereas there's nothing in reasonable walking distance of the Amazon site.

04 Jan 2022, 6:57 pm #47

There's a shift starting at that time, mainly connecting with the 56 at Concord bringing people from Newcastle and Sunderland. Nobody finishing at that time, just taking them to work.
deanmachine
04 Jan 2022, 6:57 pm #47

There's a shift starting at that time, mainly connecting with the 56 at Concord bringing people from Newcastle and Sunderland. Nobody finishing at that time, just taking them to work.

04 Jan 2022, 10:33 pm #48
(04 Jan 2022, 6:57 pm)deanmachine There's a shift starting at that time, mainly connecting with the 56 at Concord bringing people from Newcastle and Sunderland. Nobody finishing at that time, just taking them to work.
I figured that's what the Houghton to Amazon part would be - just wondered what the point of the Amazon to Heworth part is if noone is boarding to go to a closed interchange... why not terminate at Amazon and save the dead mileage?
stagecoachbusdepot
04 Jan 2022, 10:33 pm #48

(04 Jan 2022, 6:57 pm)deanmachine There's a shift starting at that time, mainly connecting with the 56 at Concord bringing people from Newcastle and Sunderland. Nobody finishing at that time, just taking them to work.
I figured that's what the Houghton to Amazon part would be - just wondered what the point of the Amazon to Heworth part is if noone is boarding to go to a closed interchange... why not terminate at Amazon and save the dead mileage?

04 Jan 2022, 10:43 pm #49
(04 Jan 2022, 10:33 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I figured that's what the Houghton to Amazon part would be - just wondered what the point of the Amazon to Heworth part is if noone is boarding to go to a closed interchange... why not terminate at Amazon and save the dead mileage?

I've had people stay on to Heworth before, it's only an extra few minutes, why not?
deanmachine
04 Jan 2022, 10:43 pm #49

(04 Jan 2022, 10:33 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I figured that's what the Houghton to Amazon part would be - just wondered what the point of the Amazon to Heworth part is if noone is boarding to go to a closed interchange... why not terminate at Amazon and save the dead mileage?

I've had people stay on to Heworth before, it's only an extra few minutes, why not?

04 Jan 2022, 10:56 pm #50
Public Access to Heworth is available at all times, so the bus stops are still available to use, they just have to walk all the way around as the Metro Building is shut.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
04 Jan 2022, 10:56 pm #50

Public Access to Heworth is available at all times, so the bus stops are still available to use, they just have to walk all the way around as the Metro Building is shut.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

04 Jan 2022, 11:06 pm #51
I could see extra 27's being added if there is demand for connections.
Especially if theres no metro running.

ASX_Terranova
04 Jan 2022, 11:06 pm #51

I could see extra 27's being added if there is demand for connections.
Especially if theres no metro running.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average