Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (14) Previous 110 11 1214 Next
Ambassador

07 Aug 2023, 9:23 pm #201
I ordered my Magpie Mover this week, embracing the new age of digital technology with my digital season ticket and all the bus operators having their own fancy apps. What could Network ticketing offer up? A smart card? A qr code….

What arrives…a cheap bit of laminated cardboard

It’s like living in the dark ages

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
07 Aug 2023, 9:23 pm #201

I ordered my Magpie Mover this week, embracing the new age of digital technology with my digital season ticket and all the bus operators having their own fancy apps. What could Network ticketing offer up? A smart card? A qr code….

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Aug 2023, 9:24 pm #202
(07 Aug 2023, 9:23 pm)Ambassador I ordered my Magpie Mover this week, embracing the new age of digital technology with my digital season ticket and all the bus operators having their own fancy apps. What could Network ticketing offer up? A smart card? A qr code….

Such a pity. Feels like it can’t be too difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
07 Aug 2023, 9:24 pm #202

(07 Aug 2023, 9:23 pm)Ambassador I ordered my Magpie Mover this week, embracing the new age of digital technology with my digital season ticket and all the bus operators having their own fancy apps. What could Network ticketing offer up? A smart card? A qr code….

Such a pity. Feels like it can’t be too difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Aug 2023, 12:54 pm #203

At least a cheap bit of laminated cardboard can't run out of battery or have server issues!

I still think they need to put just as much effort into smart cards as they do their apps. If there's one thing I can't stand is having to use apps for everything!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
08 Aug 2023, 12:54 pm #203

At least a cheap bit of laminated cardboard can't run out of battery or have server issues!

I still think they need to put just as much effort into smart cards as they do their apps. If there's one thing I can't stand is having to use apps for everything!

V514DFT

08 Aug 2023, 1:32 pm #204
Never knew North Shields ferry landing was in such a poor state, theyre saying it'll be unusable by 2025

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
08 Aug 2023, 1:32 pm #204

Never knew North Shields ferry landing was in such a poor state, theyre saying it'll be unusable by 2025

Kind Regards
Tez

Adrian

08 Aug 2023, 2:27 pm #205
(08 Aug 2023, 12:54 pm)streetdeckfan At least a cheap bit of laminated cardboard can't run out of battery or have server issues!

No, but it can get lost/stolen, and then continue to be used by someone for the rest of the season.

At least with a digital card, you can cancel one that is reported lost/stolen, and provide the user with a replacement.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
08 Aug 2023, 2:27 pm #205

(08 Aug 2023, 12:54 pm)streetdeckfan At least a cheap bit of laminated cardboard can't run out of battery or have server issues!

No, but it can get lost/stolen, and then continue to be used by someone for the rest of the season.

At least with a digital card, you can cancel one that is reported lost/stolen, and provide the user with a replacement.

Storx

08 Aug 2023, 4:09 pm #206
(08 Aug 2023, 2:27 pm)Adrian No, but it can get lost/stolen, and then continue to be used by someone for the rest of the season.

In fairness, if it used a QR code, you should in theory be able to void the first code and issue a new one.

Obviously reality and what should be possible are usually two totally different things when it comes to things relating to buses.
Storx
08 Aug 2023, 4:09 pm #206

(08 Aug 2023, 2:27 pm)Adrian No, but it can get lost/stolen, and then continue to be used by someone for the rest of the season.

In fairness, if it used a QR code, you should in theory be able to void the first code and issue a new one.

Obviously reality and what should be possible are usually two totally different things when it comes to things relating to buses.

Adrian

09 Aug 2023, 9:30 am #207
(08 Aug 2023, 4:09 pm)Storx In fairness, if it used a QR code, you should in theory be able to void the first code and issue a new one.

Yeah, but they don't use a QR code as far as I'm aware? Even if they did, it'd only be GNE and Arriva buses that could scan them; there'd be nothing stopping you using Stagecoach, the Metro or other Nexus funded bus services.

Adrian
09 Aug 2023, 9:30 am #207

(08 Aug 2023, 4:09 pm)Storx In fairness, if it used a QR code, you should in theory be able to void the first code and issue a new one.

Yeah, but they don't use a QR code as far as I'm aware? Even if they did, it'd only be GNE and Arriva buses that could scan them; there'd be nothing stopping you using Stagecoach, the Metro or other Nexus funded bus services.

Storx

09 Aug 2023, 9:41 am #208
(09 Aug 2023, 9:30 am)Adrian Yeah, but they don't use a QR code as far as I'm aware? Even if they did, it'd only be GNE and Arriva buses that could scan them; there'd be nothing stopping you using Stagecoach, the Metro or other Nexus funded bus services.

Yeah that's true, mind don't GCT have the same ticket machines that accept QR codes now?

The Metro machines should really have QR Code readers retrofitted aswell, like the national rail stations so they can accept paper bus tickets and tickets using an app without having to speak to a member of staff but that's another debate to be fair.
Storx
09 Aug 2023, 9:41 am #208

(09 Aug 2023, 9:30 am)Adrian Yeah, but they don't use a QR code as far as I'm aware? Even if they did, it'd only be GNE and Arriva buses that could scan them; there'd be nothing stopping you using Stagecoach, the Metro or other Nexus funded bus services.

Yeah that's true, mind don't GCT have the same ticket machines that accept QR codes now?

The Metro machines should really have QR Code readers retrofitted aswell, like the national rail stations so they can accept paper bus tickets and tickets using an app without having to speak to a member of staff but that's another debate to be fair.

Rob44

09 Aug 2023, 1:49 pm #209

is that why loads of customers just show there phone with the QR code viable to SCNE drivers?
Rob44
09 Aug 2023, 1:49 pm #209

is that why loads of customers just show there phone with the QR code viable to SCNE drivers?

Adrian

09 Aug 2023, 6:53 pm #210
(09 Aug 2023, 1:49 pm)Rob44 is that why loads of customers just show there phone with the QR code viable to SCNE drivers?

Yes. No facility to scan on the Vix ETMs that Stagecoach use.

Although GNE and Arriva both use Ticketer with the QR code scanning, but they don't share the hashes with each other, even for Network One. So something that should be simple, you still have to rely on manual checking of the ticket.

Adrian
09 Aug 2023, 6:53 pm #210

(09 Aug 2023, 1:49 pm)Rob44 is that why loads of customers just show there phone with the QR code viable to SCNE drivers?

Yes. No facility to scan on the Vix ETMs that Stagecoach use.

Although GNE and Arriva both use Ticketer with the QR code scanning, but they don't share the hashes with each other, even for Network One. So something that should be simple, you still have to rely on manual checking of the ticket.

F114TML

09 Aug 2023, 7:40 pm #211

Yes, and it's strangely amusing watching the ones that don't realise we don't have scanners.

I once had someone try to ram their phone in the bit the ticket comes out of. Someone else gave the machine a full on massage with a Stagecoach Dayrider as well, which, I'll be honest, was slightly terrifying.
F114TML
09 Aug 2023, 7:40 pm #211

Yes, and it's strangely amusing watching the ones that don't realise we don't have scanners.

I once had someone try to ram their phone in the bit the ticket comes out of. Someone else gave the machine a full on massage with a Stagecoach Dayrider as well, which, I'll be honest, was slightly terrifying.

10 Aug 2023, 8:32 am #212
(09 Aug 2023, 7:40 pm)F114TML Yes, and it's strangely amusing watching the ones that don't realise we don't have scanners.

To be fair, they massage the ticketer machines too which is creepy, especially when they make eye contact with you.
deanmachine
10 Aug 2023, 8:32 am #212

(09 Aug 2023, 7:40 pm)F114TML Yes, and it's strangely amusing watching the ones that don't realise we don't have scanners.

To be fair, they massage the ticketer machines too which is creepy, especially when they make eye contact with you.

busmanT

10 Aug 2023, 9:50 am #213
(09 Aug 2023, 6:53 pm)Adrian Yes. No facility to scan on the Vix ETMs that Stagecoach use.

And for the new BSIP multi modal tickets there is the problem of tickets issued from Metro machines not have QR codes and barriers not accepting QR code bus tickets.

On the Coast Road Arriva QR codes certainly scan of GNE buses.
busmanT
10 Aug 2023, 9:50 am #213

(09 Aug 2023, 6:53 pm)Adrian Yes. No facility to scan on the Vix ETMs that Stagecoach use.

And for the new BSIP multi modal tickets there is the problem of tickets issued from Metro machines not have QR codes and barriers not accepting QR code bus tickets.

Adrian

10 Aug 2023, 10:27 am #214
(10 Aug 2023, 9:50 am)busmanT And for the new BSIP multi modal tickets there is the problem of tickets issued from Metro machines not have QR codes and barriers not accepting QR code bus tickets.

This is what happens when everybody does their own thing, rather than having any level of joined up thinking. 

There should be nothing stopping the BSIP multi-modal tickets being issued via the POP Pay As You Go scheme, developed under NESTi? According to the press release years ago now, this is exactly what it is supposed to do: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/smart...north-east

Having the BSIP tickets setup as a day cap for the value of each ticket and zone, and if anything, it'd be a lot more flexible to those using them. As we've seen with the Metro, the card can either be physical or virtual.

The Coast Road QR scanning is relatively new, but as I commented in that thread, it should act as a proof of concept of a wider scheme being delivered. Network One tickets, incl. Day Rovers and Explorers don't scan on other operators services throughout the region, and as you point out, there's no facility to scan them on the Metro.

Adrian
10 Aug 2023, 10:27 am #214

(10 Aug 2023, 9:50 am)busmanT And for the new BSIP multi modal tickets there is the problem of tickets issued from Metro machines not have QR codes and barriers not accepting QR code bus tickets.

This is what happens when everybody does their own thing, rather than having any level of joined up thinking. 

There should be nothing stopping the BSIP multi-modal tickets being issued via the POP Pay As You Go scheme, developed under NESTi? According to the press release years ago now, this is exactly what it is supposed to do: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/smart...north-east

Having the BSIP tickets setup as a day cap for the value of each ticket and zone, and if anything, it'd be a lot more flexible to those using them. As we've seen with the Metro, the card can either be physical or virtual.

The Coast Road QR scanning is relatively new, but as I commented in that thread, it should act as a proof of concept of a wider scheme being delivered. Network One tickets, incl. Day Rovers and Explorers don't scan on other operators services throughout the region, and as you point out, there's no facility to scan them on the Metro.

10 Aug 2023, 10:33 am #215
(10 Aug 2023, 10:27 am)Adrian This is what happens when everybody does their own thing, rather than having any level of joined up thinking. 

It seems like they developed POP and then abandoned it completely.

GNE should have abandoned the Key and moved the tickets over to using the POP cards, same with Arriva (and potentially Stagecoach, do they use a smart card?)

Now that I've got used to using Tap on Tap off on Arriva, I just can't stand using either the GNE app to buy a ticket, or buying a day ticket on the bus (it inevitably gets ruined before the end of the day).

streetdeckfan
10 Aug 2023, 10:33 am #215

(10 Aug 2023, 10:27 am)Adrian This is what happens when everybody does their own thing, rather than having any level of joined up thinking. 

It seems like they developed POP and then abandoned it completely.

GNE should have abandoned the Key and moved the tickets over to using the POP cards, same with Arriva (and potentially Stagecoach, do they use a smart card?)

Now that I've got used to using Tap on Tap off on Arriva, I just can't stand using either the GNE app to buy a ticket, or buying a day ticket on the bus (it inevitably gets ruined before the end of the day).

10 Aug 2023, 1:32 pm #216

Sounds intriguing, haha  Wink
logidoodah
10 Aug 2023, 1:32 pm #216

Sounds intriguing, haha  Wink

RobinHood

10 Aug 2023, 3:19 pm #217
(10 Aug 2023, 10:27 am)Adrian The Coast Road QR scanning is relatively new, but as I commented in that thread, it should act as a proof of concept of a wider scheme being delivered. Network One tickets, incl. Day Rovers and Explorers don't scan on other operators services throughout the region, and as you point out, there's no facility to scan them on the Metro.

I believe that that is exactly that, a 'proof of concept'.

I fully expect ANE and GNE to be sharing hashes on all multi-op (current and new) by the end of the year (across the region).
RobinHood
10 Aug 2023, 3:19 pm #217

(10 Aug 2023, 10:27 am)Adrian The Coast Road QR scanning is relatively new, but as I commented in that thread, it should act as a proof of concept of a wider scheme being delivered. Network One tickets, incl. Day Rovers and Explorers don't scan on other operators services throughout the region, and as you point out, there's no facility to scan them on the Metro.

I believe that that is exactly that, a 'proof of concept'.

I fully expect ANE and GNE to be sharing hashes on all multi-op (current and new) by the end of the year (across the region).

Rob44

10 Aug 2023, 4:19 pm #218
(10 Aug 2023, 10:33 am)streetdeckfan It seems like they developed POP and then abandoned it completely.

did you every get you claims sorted??
Rob44
10 Aug 2023, 4:19 pm #218

(10 Aug 2023, 10:33 am)streetdeckfan It seems like they developed POP and then abandoned it completely.

did you every get you claims sorted??

10 Aug 2023, 6:29 pm #219
(10 Aug 2023, 4:19 pm)Rob44 did you every get you claims sorted??

I didn't, and tbh I forgot to complain again!
streetdeckfan
10 Aug 2023, 6:29 pm #219

(10 Aug 2023, 4:19 pm)Rob44 did you every get you claims sorted??

I didn't, and tbh I forgot to complain again!

mb134

10 Aug 2023, 10:31 pm #220
(10 Aug 2023, 6:29 pm)streetdeckfan I didn't, and tbh I forgot to complain again!

Has it happened at all since you'd mentioned it on here? 

I've noticed the GPS on certain vehicles/Ticketer machines seem to be slightly different. On the way home my bus generally stops at a traffic lighted junction just before my stop, and occasionally the reader activates there which allows me to tap off while the bus is stopped there and just walk off the bus once it pulls up to the stop, however most readers don't activate until the bus is pulling up to/at the stop. I'm assuming this is a difference between different ticket machines, but I've not been bothered enough to remember if it's always the same vehicle(s) to confirm it.
mb134
10 Aug 2023, 10:31 pm #220

(10 Aug 2023, 6:29 pm)streetdeckfan I didn't, and tbh I forgot to complain again!

Has it happened at all since you'd mentioned it on here? 

I've noticed the GPS on certain vehicles/Ticketer machines seem to be slightly different. On the way home my bus generally stops at a traffic lighted junction just before my stop, and occasionally the reader activates there which allows me to tap off while the bus is stopped there and just walk off the bus once it pulls up to the stop, however most readers don't activate until the bus is pulling up to/at the stop. I'm assuming this is a difference between different ticket machines, but I've not been bothered enough to remember if it's always the same vehicle(s) to confirm it.

Pages (14) Previous 110 11 1214 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average