Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (14) Previous 1 2 3 414 Next
Charles41

26 Oct 2021, 7:39 pm #41
Well if they are getting this money then how about reopening travel shops. It's ridiculous there's not a single travel shop left in the entire region.

And please don't say people can find information on line. We all know it tends to be out of date and many people are not computer literate.

Covid just being used as an excuse to cut public services.

But hey it's keeping us all safe..

Charles
Charles41
26 Oct 2021, 7:39 pm #41

Well if they are getting this money then how about reopening travel shops. It's ridiculous there's not a single travel shop left in the entire region.

And please don't say people can find information on line. We all know it tends to be out of date and many people are not computer literate.

Charles

Ambassador

26 Oct 2021, 10:48 pm #42
(26 Oct 2021, 7:39 pm)Charles41 Well if they are getting this money then how about reopening travel shops. It's ridiculous there's not a single travel shop left in the entire region.

Charles

I understand why they closed the travel shops, like most public service they were highly unprofitable and barely used. The move to digital is complete as much as you or others may not like it. The travelshop was an archaic format and those that did use the centres were existing customers, they aren’t going to grow the nexus or bus company wallet sadly. Online travel information in this region is pretty solid too.

I do think they could have compromised and had tfl style customer ambassadors at key stations (as opposed to surly metro staff) to support Customers at minimal cost.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
26 Oct 2021, 10:48 pm #42

(26 Oct 2021, 7:39 pm)Charles41 Well if they are getting this money then how about reopening travel shops. It's ridiculous there's not a single travel shop left in the entire region.

Charles

I understand why they closed the travel shops, like most public service they were highly unprofitable and barely used. The move to digital is complete as much as you or others may not like it. The travelshop was an archaic format and those that did use the centres were existing customers, they aren’t going to grow the nexus or bus company wallet sadly. Online travel information in this region is pretty solid too.

I do think they could have compromised and had tfl style customer ambassadors at key stations (as opposed to surly metro staff) to support Customers at minimal cost.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

27 Oct 2021, 12:21 pm #43
Can’t find a thread for it but I have just seen this at the Metrocentre about 20 mins ago, noticed it had been charging up in Electric Bus depot at Riverside presumably continuing its journey to Cop26 in Glasgow.

High Resolution Flickr Link : https://flic.kr/p/2mEBsMm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[Image: af31acebd5a42fc9ab306efa9e064a35.jpg]
Xlines 6335
27 Oct 2021, 12:21 pm #43

Can’t find a thread for it but I have just seen this at the Metrocentre about 20 mins ago, noticed it had been charging up in Electric Bus depot at Riverside presumably continuing its journey to Cop26 in Glasgow.

ne14ne1

28 Oct 2021, 5:56 am #44
(27 Oct 2021, 12:21 pm)Xlines 6335 Can’t find a thread for it but I have just seen this at the Metrocentre about 20 mins ago, noticed it had been charging up in Electric Bus depot at Riverside presumably continuing its journey to Cop26 in Glasgow.

I posted in the electric vehicles thread in the GNE area with it being at Riverside.
ne14ne1
28 Oct 2021, 5:56 am #44

(27 Oct 2021, 12:21 pm)Xlines 6335 Can’t find a thread for it but I have just seen this at the Metrocentre about 20 mins ago, noticed it had been charging up in Electric Bus depot at Riverside presumably continuing its journey to Cop26 in Glasgow.

I posted in the electric vehicles thread in the GNE area with it being at Riverside.

Adrian

16 Nov 2021, 8:33 pm #45
I've collated the information that has been made available so far on the North East's Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) / the £804 million pound plan quoted in the press. All information can be found in a dedicated section on my blog here: https://www.busesandbeyond.co.uk/north-east-bsip/

The full bus service improvement plan itself (as submitted) is also included in the 'Downloads' heading of that page.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Nov 2021, 8:33 pm #45

I've collated the information that has been made available so far on the North East's Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) / the £804 million pound plan quoted in the press. All information can be found in a dedicated section on my blog here: https://www.busesandbeyond.co.uk/north-east-bsip/

The full bus service improvement plan itself (as submitted) is also included in the 'Downloads' heading of that page.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Michael

17 Nov 2021, 7:45 pm #46
(16 Nov 2021, 8:33 pm)Adrian I've collated the information that has been made available so far on the North East's Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) / the £804 million pound plan quoted in the press. All information can be found in a dedicated section on my blog here: https://www.busesandbeyond.co.uk/north-east-bsip/

Looks very good, lots of detail too.... a proper night time network is needed.

Do like the idea of upgrading the bus stations and bus stops and trying to stop overlapping on buses.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Nov 2021, 7:45 pm #46

(16 Nov 2021, 8:33 pm)Adrian I've collated the information that has been made available so far on the North East's Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) / the £804 million pound plan quoted in the press. All information can be found in a dedicated section on my blog here: https://www.busesandbeyond.co.uk/north-east-bsip/

Looks very good, lots of detail too.... a proper night time network is needed.

Do like the idea of upgrading the bus stations and bus stops and trying to stop overlapping on buses.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

18 Nov 2021, 12:51 am #47
Meanwhile the Sunderland Echo are reporting that there's a £20 million shortfall to pay for buses and Nexus are warning that "routes will be slashed".

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/poli...IW4BfQUYSI
deanmachine
18 Nov 2021, 12:51 am #47

Meanwhile the Sunderland Echo are reporting that there's a £20 million shortfall to pay for buses and Nexus are warning that "routes will be slashed".

idiot

18 Nov 2021, 8:26 am #48
Nice red arrows x1 merc on the echo article
idiot
18 Nov 2021, 8:26 am #48

Nice red arrows x1 merc on the echo article

18 Nov 2021, 8:41 am #49
(18 Nov 2021, 12:51 am)deanmachine Meanwhile the Sunderland Echo are reporting that there's a £20 million shortfall to pay for buses and Nexus are warning that "routes will be slashed".

Perhaps the time has come to end the free bus pass. Bring back the concession fares, if £7.5m is to be cut from that budget, then it must be on the cards. The other £4.1m would also appear to revolve around the off peak=, predominantly free pass occupied services..
54APhotography
18 Nov 2021, 8:41 am #49

(18 Nov 2021, 12:51 am)deanmachine Meanwhile the Sunderland Echo are reporting that there's a £20 million shortfall to pay for buses and Nexus are warning that "routes will be slashed".

Perhaps the time has come to end the free bus pass. Bring back the concession fares, if £7.5m is to be cut from that budget, then it must be on the cards. The other £4.1m would also appear to revolve around the off peak=, predominantly free pass occupied services..

18 Nov 2021, 8:55 am #50
(18 Nov 2021, 8:41 am)54APhotography Perhaps the time has come to end the free bus pass. Bring back the concession fares, if £7.5m is to be cut from that budget, then it must be on the cards. The other £4.1m would also appear to revolve around the off peak=, predominantly free pass occupied services..
Rather than getting rid entirely, I'd make it a means tested benefit so it's available to those who need it rather than just those who are of a certain age.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
18 Nov 2021, 8:55 am #50

(18 Nov 2021, 8:41 am)54APhotography Perhaps the time has come to end the free bus pass. Bring back the concession fares, if £7.5m is to be cut from that budget, then it must be on the cards. The other £4.1m would also appear to revolve around the off peak=, predominantly free pass occupied services..
Rather than getting rid entirely, I'd make it a means tested benefit so it's available to those who need it rather than just those who are of a certain age.

18 Nov 2021, 9:01 am #51
(18 Nov 2021, 8:55 am)streetdeckfan Rather than getting rid entirely, I'd make it a means tested benefit so it's available to those who need it rather than just those who are of a certain age.

Retain for disabled, and perhaps those on single persons pension etc, but he concession should return. I don't use the bus that much compared to most on here but I can recall a trip on an X85 from Eldon Square where only I and a lady ahead of me payed a fare... And predominantly that all I see, free pass, free pass, free pass...
54APhotography
18 Nov 2021, 9:01 am #51

(18 Nov 2021, 8:55 am)streetdeckfan Rather than getting rid entirely, I'd make it a means tested benefit so it's available to those who need it rather than just those who are of a certain age.

Retain for disabled, and perhaps those on single persons pension etc, but he concession should return. I don't use the bus that much compared to most on here but I can recall a trip on an X85 from Eldon Square where only I and a lady ahead of me payed a fare... And predominantly that all I see, free pass, free pass, free pass...

18 Nov 2021, 9:30 am #52
(18 Nov 2021, 9:01 am)54APhotography Retain for disabled, and perhaps those on single persons pension etc, but he concession should return. I don't use the bus that much compared to most on here but I can recall a trip on an X85 from Eldon Square where only I and a lady ahead of me payed a fare... And predominantly that all I see, free pass, free pass, free pass...

I think for once we agree on something!
streetdeckfan
18 Nov 2021, 9:30 am #52

(18 Nov 2021, 9:01 am)54APhotography Retain for disabled, and perhaps those on single persons pension etc, but he concession should return. I don't use the bus that much compared to most on here but I can recall a trip on an X85 from Eldon Square where only I and a lady ahead of me payed a fare... And predominantly that all I see, free pass, free pass, free pass...

I think for once we agree on something!

18 Nov 2021, 9:37 am #53
(18 Nov 2021, 9:30 am)streetdeckfan I think for once we agree on something!
I suspect most would agree, but fear saying so..
54APhotography
18 Nov 2021, 9:37 am #53

(18 Nov 2021, 9:30 am)streetdeckfan I think for once we agree on something!
I suspect most would agree, but fear saying so..

Andreos1

18 Nov 2021, 9:46 am #54

Pretty sure any political party/La agreeing to this, would see their share of the vote fall next time there was any sort of vote.

My proposal is a little more radical and would see the end to Nexus subsidising these bus routes, the constant threat of withdrawals coming to an end (with Nexus, DCC or NCC being placed over a barrel by the operators) , passengers seeing the end to multiple operators running a route - depending on the time of day) and ticketing anomalies reducing etc. 

It involves the operators running services commercially. 
It involves operators not picking and choosing the runs they see the money in and not bothering with the ones they don't see money in. 
It means the end of bolting on a failing service on to a subsided service (see the 71) and still apparently failing to make it work commercially.

If the twirly passes were cancelled, I wonder what that would do to operator revenues?
Assuming they only receive the concession fare and aren't given any other rebate to cover the balance of the actual fare.

These operators can afford to pay out a dividend, give out staff shares and hefty salaries for those at the top of the pile, but they can't afford to run a service that doesn't tick a couple of commercial boxes.
Passengers shouldn't be the ones to lose out here (either by inconvenience of a route being cancelled, ran by a different operator or by paying a token fare).

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
18 Nov 2021, 9:46 am #54

Pretty sure any political party/La agreeing to this, would see their share of the vote fall next time there was any sort of vote.

My proposal is a little more radical and would see the end to Nexus subsidising these bus routes, the constant threat of withdrawals coming to an end (with Nexus, DCC or NCC being placed over a barrel by the operators) , passengers seeing the end to multiple operators running a route - depending on the time of day) and ticketing anomalies reducing etc. 

It involves operators not picking and choosing the runs they see the money in and not bothering with the ones they don't see money in. 
It means the end of bolting on a failing service on to a subsided service (see the 71) and still apparently failing to make it work commercially.

If the twirly passes were cancelled, I wonder what that would do to operator revenues?
Assuming they only receive the concession fare and aren't given any other rebate to cover the balance of the actual fare.

These operators can afford to pay out a dividend, give out staff shares and hefty salaries for those at the top of the pile, but they can't afford to run a service that doesn't tick a couple of commercial boxes.
Passengers shouldn't be the ones to lose out here (either by inconvenience of a route being cancelled, ran by a different operator or by paying a token fare).

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Nov 2021, 9:50 am #55
(18 Nov 2021, 9:46 am)Andreos1 Pretty sure any political party/La agreeing to this, would see their share of the vote fall next time there was any sort of vote.

My proposal is a little more radical and would see the end to Nexus subsidising these bus routes, the constant threat of withdrawals coming to an end (with Nexus, DCC or NCC being placed over a barrel by the operators, passengers seeing the end to multiple operators running a route (depending on the time of day) and ticketing anomalies reducing etc. 

I suspect your proposal is hugely different to that of Central Government, local authorities and commercial bus operators.

I suspect if operators were to go ahead with your proposal then they would go bust in less than a year. That's the harsh reality of the impact of Covid.
Dan
18 Nov 2021, 9:50 am #55

(18 Nov 2021, 9:46 am)Andreos1 Pretty sure any political party/La agreeing to this, would see their share of the vote fall next time there was any sort of vote.

My proposal is a little more radical and would see the end to Nexus subsidising these bus routes, the constant threat of withdrawals coming to an end (with Nexus, DCC or NCC being placed over a barrel by the operators, passengers seeing the end to multiple operators running a route (depending on the time of day) and ticketing anomalies reducing etc. 

I suspect your proposal is hugely different to that of Central Government, local authorities and commercial bus operators.

I suspect if operators were to go ahead with your proposal then they would go bust in less than a year. That's the harsh reality of the impact of Covid.

18 Nov 2021, 10:08 am #56

If you're thinking of what the current regime think, I seriously doubt they would care, it must have been in Sunak's mind...
As for any subsidy, it bewilders me that a pass can be subsidised for the same rate for a two stop hop as for a journey like a 309, or arriva X18..
Either way the bus company lose. Technology is there to have a smart pass, that doesn't need physical scanning, but can scan the card on entry and exit giving a far more accurate account to be balanced.. The subsidy would not be removed in my solution, just reduced.
54APhotography
18 Nov 2021, 10:08 am #56

If you're thinking of what the current regime think, I seriously doubt they would care, it must have been in Sunak's mind...
As for any subsidy, it bewilders me that a pass can be subsidised for the same rate for a two stop hop as for a journey like a 309, or arriva X18..
Either way the bus company lose. Technology is there to have a smart pass, that doesn't need physical scanning, but can scan the card on entry and exit giving a far more accurate account to be balanced.. The subsidy would not be removed in my solution, just reduced.

Andreos1

18 Nov 2021, 10:56 am #57
(18 Nov 2021, 9:50 am)Dan I suspect your proposal is hugely different to that of Central Government, local authorities and commercial bus operators.

Maybe their proposals need to be different.

I'm not sure maintaining the status quo is going to work (just look at the quotes and figures released to the media). Something has to give. 

I also think this a fantastic opportunity for operators to change the way they're working and where buses run to/from.
We have been constantly told that changes to people's habits are impacting on services and certain runs are axed as a result. 
We are being told that working and shopping habits have changed.
Yet here we are, with a network very similar to the one on a wall in Beamish - with a focus on not much more than a bus to a town or city centre.

https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE/status/14...htYpYW49tg&s=19

(18 Nov 2021, 10:08 am)54APhotography If you're thinking of what the current regime think, I seriously doubt they would care, it must have been in Sunak's mind...

Hence why singles have traditionally been so high. 
If they can get as much as they can for a twirly going two stops, they will structure their fares in the 'best' way they can.
Just us ordinary punters who suffer the consequence and those elastic ones will look for alternatives.
Edited 18 Nov 2021, 11:02 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
18 Nov 2021, 10:56 am #57

(18 Nov 2021, 9:50 am)Dan I suspect your proposal is hugely different to that of Central Government, local authorities and commercial bus operators.

Maybe their proposals need to be different.

I'm not sure maintaining the status quo is going to work (just look at the quotes and figures released to the media). Something has to give. 

I also think this a fantastic opportunity for operators to change the way they're working and where buses run to/from.
We have been constantly told that changes to people's habits are impacting on services and certain runs are axed as a result. 
Yet here we are, with a network very similar to the one on a wall in Beamish - with a focus on not much more than a bus to a town or city centre.

(18 Nov 2021, 10:08 am)54APhotography If you're thinking of what the current regime think, I seriously doubt they would care, it must have been in Sunak's mind...

If they can get as much as they can for a twirly going two stops, they will structure their fares in the 'best' way they can.
Just us ordinary punters who suffer the consequence and those elastic ones will look for alternatives.

idiot

18 Nov 2021, 7:32 pm #58
Singles are ridiculously priced. For example £1.70 from wheatsheaf to blue Bell in Sunderland.
idiot
18 Nov 2021, 7:32 pm #58

Singles are ridiculously priced. For example £1.70 from wheatsheaf to blue Bell in Sunderland.

Keeiajs

18 Nov 2021, 8:21 pm #59
(18 Nov 2021, 7:32 pm)idiot Singles are ridiculously priced. For example £1.70 from wheatsheaf to blue Bell in Sunderland.
Its £1.60 I think from Newcastle - Gateshead 

Also, I thought for the free passes the Gov paid for the most expensive route charge.
Keeiajs
18 Nov 2021, 8:21 pm #59

(18 Nov 2021, 7:32 pm)idiot Singles are ridiculously priced. For example £1.70 from wheatsheaf to blue Bell in Sunderland.
Its £1.60 I think from Newcastle - Gateshead 

Also, I thought for the free passes the Gov paid for the most expensive route charge.

18 Nov 2021, 8:23 pm #60
(18 Nov 2021, 10:56 am)Andreos1 Maybe their proposals need to be different.

Hence why I buy Day Rider Plus or All zones
Hence why I buy Day Rider Plus or All zones
54APhotography
18 Nov 2021, 8:23 pm #60

(18 Nov 2021, 10:56 am)Andreos1 Maybe their proposals need to be different.

Hence why I buy Day Rider Plus or All zones
Hence why I buy Day Rider Plus or All zones

Pages (14) Previous 1 2 3 414 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average