Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach staff to strike for 12 days over 'divide-and-rule' pay tactics

Stagecoach staff to strike for 12 days over 'divide-and-rule' pay tactics

Stagecoach staff to strike for 12 days over 'divide-and-rule' pay tactics

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

22 Oct 2021, 2:59 pm #1
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...CMEyzrP1-U

(with a hilarious photograph!)
Dan
22 Oct 2021, 2:59 pm #1

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...CMEyzrP1-U

Michael

22 Oct 2021, 3:05 pm #2
(22 Oct 2021, 2:59 pm)Dan https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...CMEyzrP1-U

Oh great, gonna be a nightmare getting to work, but I'm all for them getting better wages!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Oct 2021, 3:05 pm #2

Oh great, gonna be a nightmare getting to work, but I'm all for them getting better wages!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

V514DFT

22 Oct 2021, 3:32 pm #3
(22 Oct 2021, 3:05 pm)Michael Oh great, gonna be a nightmare getting to work, but I'm all for them getting better wages!
Just aswell i can get the 309 and 12 to college otherwise i'd be screwed

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
22 Oct 2021, 3:32 pm #3

(22 Oct 2021, 3:05 pm)Michael Oh great, gonna be a nightmare getting to work, but I'm all for them getting better wages!
Just aswell i can get the 309 and 12 to college otherwise i'd be screwed

Kind Regards
Tez

Michael

22 Oct 2021, 3:45 pm #4
(22 Oct 2021, 3:32 pm)V514DFT Just aswell i can get the 309 and 12 to college otherwise i'd be screwed

If its every bus (likely to have some still running), using the 20 or 35 wouldn't even get to work for 7am - 20 will arrive just before 7 (then its a 10 min walk)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Oct 2021, 3:45 pm #4

(22 Oct 2021, 3:32 pm)V514DFT Just aswell i can get the 309 and 12 to college otherwise i'd be screwed

If its every bus (likely to have some still running), using the 20 or 35 wouldn't even get to work for 7am - 20 will arrive just before 7 (then its a 10 min walk)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Ambassador

22 Oct 2021, 4:47 pm #5
Across 3 Newcastle home games too.

I’m not adverse to other depots earning less if it’s based on finance. Retail pay differs depending on the grade and banding of shop you operate in. So if Newcastle brings in more cash than Stockton then I’d support paying more to Newcastle.

If that’s not the case then dodgy grounds but again short sighted from the union, they have to build up passenger confidence and short notice cancellations and strikes will turn people to cars, Ubers and other methods. The only ones who will suffer are those at the bottom rung with no other options

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
22 Oct 2021, 4:47 pm #5

Across 3 Newcastle home games too.

I’m not adverse to other depots earning less if it’s based on finance. Retail pay differs depending on the grade and banding of shop you operate in. So if Newcastle brings in more cash than Stockton then I’d support paying more to Newcastle.

If that’s not the case then dodgy grounds but again short sighted from the union, they have to build up passenger confidence and short notice cancellations and strikes will turn people to cars, Ubers and other methods. The only ones who will suffer are those at the bottom rung with no other options

22 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm #6
(22 Oct 2021, 4:47 pm)Ambassador Across 3 Newcastle home games too.

Why blame the Union? Why not blame the company for paying their drivers a decent wage? If they did maybe there wouldn't be strike action.
deanmachine
22 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm #6

Why blame the Union? Why not blame the company for paying their drivers a decent wage? If they did maybe there wouldn't be strike action.

Ambassador

22 Oct 2021, 4:56 pm #7
(22 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm)deanmachine Why blame the Union? Why not blame the company for paying their drivers a decent wage? If they did maybe there wouldn't be strike action.

A qualified driver at 22k-25k is a decent wage for this region for a manual job. Even newly qualified at £19k relative to the North East isn’t a bad wage. Probably much higher than the majority of passengers you’re about to seriously piss off. 

the days of public opinion being behind unions are long long gone

Ambassador
22 Oct 2021, 4:56 pm #7

(22 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm)deanmachine Why blame the Union? Why not blame the company for paying their drivers a decent wage? If they did maybe there wouldn't be strike action.

A qualified driver at 22k-25k is a decent wage for this region for a manual job. Even newly qualified at £19k relative to the North East isn’t a bad wage. Probably much higher than the majority of passengers you’re about to seriously piss off. 

22 Oct 2021, 5:02 pm #8
(22 Oct 2021, 4:56 pm)Ambassador A qualified driver at 22k-25k is a decent wage for this region for a manual job. Even newly qualified at £19k relative to the North East isn’t a bad wage. Probably much higher than the majority of passengers you’re about to seriously piss off. 

I don't work for Stagecoach btw, but the fact is people are leaving the job for other areas at a similar pay rate for less hassle. making the driver shortage worse, lowering the morale of everyone else there. If they're not willing to keep the driver's happy this is going to happen, I really don't understand this sort of attitude towards unions.
deanmachine
22 Oct 2021, 5:02 pm #8

(22 Oct 2021, 4:56 pm)Ambassador A qualified driver at 22k-25k is a decent wage for this region for a manual job. Even newly qualified at £19k relative to the North East isn’t a bad wage. Probably much higher than the majority of passengers you’re about to seriously piss off. 

I don't work for Stagecoach btw, but the fact is people are leaving the job for other areas at a similar pay rate for less hassle. making the driver shortage worse, lowering the morale of everyone else there. If they're not willing to keep the driver's happy this is going to happen, I really don't understand this sort of attitude towards unions.

Michael

22 Oct 2021, 5:22 pm #9

Just the one for Sunderland, when we face Ipswich on the 20th November.

Unions are good tbh, they really help, if you need support with work.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Oct 2021, 5:22 pm #9

Just the one for Sunderland, when we face Ipswich on the 20th November.

Unions are good tbh, they really help, if you need support with work.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Storx

22 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm #10

Why would a bus driver give a toss about passenger confidence and whether someone can get somewhere.

It's disgusting one depot is being paid more/less than another depot, borderline illegal. The person does the same job as the other person it's not their fault that one depot makes more money than the other. Absolutely ridiculous view and there's some nonsense posted on here.

Then people wonder on here why bus drivers stick there fingers up when when your taking photos at the side of the road...
Storx
22 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm #10

Why would a bus driver give a toss about passenger confidence and whether someone can get somewhere.

It's disgusting one depot is being paid more/less than another depot, borderline illegal. The person does the same job as the other person it's not their fault that one depot makes more money than the other. Absolutely ridiculous view and there's some nonsense posted on here.

Then people wonder on here why bus drivers stick there fingers up when when your taking photos at the side of the road...

Dan

Site Administrator

22 Oct 2021, 6:59 pm #11
(22 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm)Storx Why would a bus driver give a toss about passenger confidence and whether someone can get somewhere.

Bus drivers should care, because the customers that board their buses are the ones paying their wages…

If they don’t care about passenger confidence and customers being able to make journeys, then they might as well pack up and go home now.

If you’re suggesting otherwise then I’m afraid I think this post is more nonsensical than the one you’re replying to?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
22 Oct 2021, 6:59 pm #11

(22 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm)Storx Why would a bus driver give a toss about passenger confidence and whether someone can get somewhere.

Bus drivers should care, because the customers that board their buses are the ones paying their wages…

If they don’t care about passenger confidence and customers being able to make journeys, then they might as well pack up and go home now.

If you’re suggesting otherwise then I’m afraid I think this post is more nonsensical than the one you’re replying to?!

Storx

22 Oct 2021, 7:18 pm #12
(22 Oct 2021, 6:59 pm)Dan Bus drivers should care, because the customers that board their buses are the ones paying their wages…

Can't dispute that but should and do are two totally different things. Let's be honest outside of working hours they won't care, some probably don't even care while working but hopefully there's few of them. They'll definitely care about their wages though.

When your find out someone doing the same job is being paid more because he works at Newcastle and your at South Shields and there's an offer of strike action to sort it out I'd be very surprised if any bus driver's first thought is; Well I shouldn't strike because Betty on the 12 can't get to the shops and it might damage the companies reputation. They'll be more bothered about the polar opposite and want to cause the reputation problems, what's the point in striking otherwise.

Not saying it's right but it's reality really.
Storx
22 Oct 2021, 7:18 pm #12

(22 Oct 2021, 6:59 pm)Dan Bus drivers should care, because the customers that board their buses are the ones paying their wages…

Can't dispute that but should and do are two totally different things. Let's be honest outside of working hours they won't care, some probably don't even care while working but hopefully there's few of them. They'll definitely care about their wages though.

When your find out someone doing the same job is being paid more because he works at Newcastle and your at South Shields and there's an offer of strike action to sort it out I'd be very surprised if any bus driver's first thought is; Well I shouldn't strike because Betty on the 12 can't get to the shops and it might damage the companies reputation. They'll be more bothered about the polar opposite and want to cause the reputation problems, what's the point in striking otherwise.

Not saying it's right but it's reality really.

Adrian

22 Oct 2021, 8:02 pm #13

You're never going to gain public support for strikes because of the very nature of strike action. Let's not forget that it's an absolute last resort though, and that it takes two to tango. 

Having ran disputes myself, people are generally quick to blame the Unions, yet unwilling to give up anything that the unions have won them over the years. You'll find that even the drivers opposed to strike action won't think twice about rejecting any pay award that comes as a result of it...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
22 Oct 2021, 8:02 pm #13

You're never going to gain public support for strikes because of the very nature of strike action. Let's not forget that it's an absolute last resort though, and that it takes two to tango. 

Having ran disputes myself, people are generally quick to blame the Unions, yet unwilling to give up anything that the unions have won them over the years. You'll find that even the drivers opposed to strike action won't think twice about rejecting any pay award that comes as a result of it...

V514DFT

22 Oct 2021, 8:05 pm #14
(22 Oct 2021, 3:45 pm)Michael If its every bus (likely to have some still running), using the 20 or 35 wouldn't even get to work for 7am - 20 will arrive just before 7 (then its a 10 min walk)
Damn,i feel sorry for you mate

(22 Oct 2021, 5:02 pm)deanmachine I don't work for Stagecoach btw, but the fact is people are leaving the job for other areas at a similar pay rate for less hassle. making the driver shortage worse, lowering the morale of everyone else there. If they're not willing to keep the driver's happy this is going to happen, I really don't understand this sort of attitude towards unions.
Classic domino effect
Edited 22 Oct 2021, 8:06 pm by V514DFT.

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
22 Oct 2021, 8:05 pm #14

(22 Oct 2021, 3:45 pm)Michael If its every bus (likely to have some still running), using the 20 or 35 wouldn't even get to work for 7am - 20 will arrive just before 7 (then its a 10 min walk)
Damn,i feel sorry for you mate

(22 Oct 2021, 5:02 pm)deanmachine I don't work for Stagecoach btw, but the fact is people are leaving the job for other areas at a similar pay rate for less hassle. making the driver shortage worse, lowering the morale of everyone else there. If they're not willing to keep the driver's happy this is going to happen, I really don't understand this sort of attitude towards unions.
Classic domino effect

Kind Regards
Tez

Michael

22 Oct 2021, 8:42 pm #15
(22 Oct 2021, 8:05 pm)V514DFT Damn,i feel sorry for you mate

Classic domino effect

I hope that was sarcasm haha

But my work is quite good at working around our shifts so hopefully this won't be a problem.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Oct 2021, 8:42 pm #15

(22 Oct 2021, 8:05 pm)V514DFT Damn,i feel sorry for you mate

Classic domino effect

I hope that was sarcasm haha

But my work is quite good at working around our shifts so hopefully this won't be a problem.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Rob44

22 Oct 2021, 10:16 pm #16

I like unions. They got us ALL sick pay, paid annual leave, bank holidays. The list goes on!  It amazes me those who criticise unions but like to share the spoils they win there members, unless of course you take zero annual leave where you work and a bank holiday is just like any other day... and when your on sick you just go without?
Rob44
22 Oct 2021, 10:16 pm #16

I like unions. They got us ALL sick pay, paid annual leave, bank holidays. The list goes on!  It amazes me those who criticise unions but like to share the spoils they win there members, unless of course you take zero annual leave where you work and a bank holiday is just like any other day... and when your on sick you just go without?

Michael

24 Oct 2021, 11:18 am #17
Information should be on the site in the next few days about the strike.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
24 Oct 2021, 11:18 am #17

Information should be on the site in the next few days about the strike.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Chris 1

25 Oct 2021, 12:18 pm #18

Some of the comments on there, dear me!  Not sure which ones are worse, these ones are the ones accompanying the Northern Echo story on GNE.
Chris 1
25 Oct 2021, 12:18 pm #18

Some of the comments on there, dear me!  Not sure which ones are worse, these ones are the ones accompanying the Northern Echo story on GNE.

Michael

30 Oct 2021, 11:15 am #19
Found this on the Stagecoach site:

Despite the ongoing challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic, Stagecoach has already agreed a pay deal with drivers in Sunderland under the GMB Union, which is in line with the deal offered and rejected elsewhere in the North East. Stagecoach has also agreed pay deals with Unite at the majority of its depots across the UK.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and...ial-action

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Oct 2021, 11:15 am #19

Found this on the Stagecoach site:

Despite the ongoing challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic, Stagecoach has already agreed a pay deal with drivers in Sunderland under the GMB Union, which is in line with the deal offered and rejected elsewhere in the North East. Stagecoach has also agreed pay deals with Unite at the majority of its depots across the UK.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

30 Oct 2021, 1:55 pm #20
(30 Oct 2021, 11:15 am)Michael Found this on the Stagecoach site:

"Drivers offered a deal that would see pay being increased by 4% since the start of the pandemic"
So I wonder is that 4% over a two-year deal backdated? Or 4% for this year, when I assume nothing was offered last?

Bit cheap to point at GMB accepting the deal. It's as much their prerogative to accept one as Unite's not to accept one.

Adrian
30 Oct 2021, 1:55 pm #20

(30 Oct 2021, 11:15 am)Michael Found this on the Stagecoach site:

"Drivers offered a deal that would see pay being increased by 4% since the start of the pandemic"
So I wonder is that 4% over a two-year deal backdated? Or 4% for this year, when I assume nothing was offered last?

Bit cheap to point at GMB accepting the deal. It's as much their prerogative to accept one as Unite's not to accept one.

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average