Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Press story: concerns over Stanley and Lanchester buses

Press story: concerns over Stanley and Lanchester buses

Press story: concerns over Stanley and Lanchester buses

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Train8261

03 Nov 2021, 4:55 pm #1
Another article. This time about the recent extended of the 6 extension & Cancelled buses. Had to copy the entire article as it wouldn't let me copy the link

A BUS service brought in to "improve" links between a number of County Durham villages and towns was hampered by delays and cancellations on its very first day.

Go North East has faced criticism after the newly extended '6' between Newcastle and Lanchester saw services dropped due to "late operation" on Saturday and Sunday.

It comes as Tory MP Richard Holden recently hailed the extension of the service between Stanley and Lanchester as "significant" following the removal of another service.

The bus company has since blamed disruption on severe congestion caused by the Newcastle game, while saying the new service is "good news" for residents.

But The Northern Echo understands that there are concerns that the new service could see problems due to regular traffic on the Tyneside leg of its journey.

The newly extended 6 last week replaced the locally-run 730 service, which solely operated between Stanley and Lanchester. 

On social media, some customers suggested the extension of the service was not an improvement as they said a similar route had been tried before.

Addressing Mr Holden's statement previously welcoming the service, one person said: "Sorry Richard Holden MP as much as I appreciate what you are trying to do, an hourly service replaced by an hourly service in my opinion is not an improvement.

"The route from Lanchester and Burnhope to Metrocentre and Newcastle and return was tried a couple of years ago and it didn't work.

"(I) remember waiting in a very cold Stanley Bus Station for the bus from Metrocentre which regularly was very late due to traffic."

Meanwhile, The Echo received messages from customers who said they believed the newly extended service would suffer problems as congestion builds in the run up to the festive period.

At the weekend, Go North East was forced to cancel two services between Newcastle and Stanley due to "late operation," while one service was from Stanley to Metrocentre had to be cancelled due to "operational issues."

In response Go North East said the extension of the 6 was positive as it said it had restored links between Newcastle, Metrocentre and Lanchester, Burnhope and South Moor.

Explaining that services faced disruption due to the Newcastle United home game on Saturday afternoon, the firm said a small number of journeys were affected.

Stephen King, Commercial Director at Go North East, said: “All journeys between Stanley and Lanchester on service 6 have operated over the weekend. 

"A small number of journeys in the early evening on Saturday operated late due to the NUFC home game.  

On the section of route between Newcastle and Stanley, a small number of journeys were curtailed as a result of severe congestion in Newcastle from the NUFC home game traffic but all journeys between Stanley and Lanchester operated.

"One trip was cancelled on Sunday due to driver availability, but there is no service on the Stanley-Lanchester section on Sundays
Train8261
03 Nov 2021, 4:55 pm #1

Another article. This time about the recent extended of the 6 extension & Cancelled buses. Had to copy the entire article as it wouldn't let me copy the link

A BUS service brought in to "improve" links between a number of County Durham villages and towns was hampered by delays and cancellations on its very first day.

Go North East has faced criticism after the newly extended '6' between Newcastle and Lanchester saw services dropped due to "late operation" on Saturday and Sunday.

It comes as Tory MP Richard Holden recently hailed the extension of the service between Stanley and Lanchester as "significant" following the removal of another service.

The bus company has since blamed disruption on severe congestion caused by the Newcastle game, while saying the new service is "good news" for residents.

But The Northern Echo understands that there are concerns that the new service could see problems due to regular traffic on the Tyneside leg of its journey.

The newly extended 6 last week replaced the locally-run 730 service, which solely operated between Stanley and Lanchester. 

On social media, some customers suggested the extension of the service was not an improvement as they said a similar route had been tried before.

Addressing Mr Holden's statement previously welcoming the service, one person said: "Sorry Richard Holden MP as much as I appreciate what you are trying to do, an hourly service replaced by an hourly service in my opinion is not an improvement.

"The route from Lanchester and Burnhope to Metrocentre and Newcastle and return was tried a couple of years ago and it didn't work.

"(I) remember waiting in a very cold Stanley Bus Station for the bus from Metrocentre which regularly was very late due to traffic."

Meanwhile, The Echo received messages from customers who said they believed the newly extended service would suffer problems as congestion builds in the run up to the festive period.

At the weekend, Go North East was forced to cancel two services between Newcastle and Stanley due to "late operation," while one service was from Stanley to Metrocentre had to be cancelled due to "operational issues."

In response Go North East said the extension of the 6 was positive as it said it had restored links between Newcastle, Metrocentre and Lanchester, Burnhope and South Moor.

Explaining that services faced disruption due to the Newcastle United home game on Saturday afternoon, the firm said a small number of journeys were affected.

Stephen King, Commercial Director at Go North East, said: “All journeys between Stanley and Lanchester on service 6 have operated over the weekend. 

"A small number of journeys in the early evening on Saturday operated late due to the NUFC home game.  

On the section of route between Newcastle and Stanley, a small number of journeys were curtailed as a result of severe congestion in Newcastle from the NUFC home game traffic but all journeys between Stanley and Lanchester operated.

"One trip was cancelled on Sunday due to driver availability, but there is no service on the Stanley-Lanchester section on Sundays

03 Nov 2021, 6:19 pm #2
(03 Nov 2021, 4:55 pm)Train8261 Another article. This time about the recent extended of the 6 extension & Cancelled buses. Had to copy the entire article as it wouldn't let me copy the link

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...ter-buses/

I read that earlier and I'm surprised they didn't have a moan about the lack of service on the Stanley-Lanchester section on Sundays.
I know I would have!
streetdeckfan
03 Nov 2021, 6:19 pm #2

(03 Nov 2021, 4:55 pm)Train8261 Another article. This time about the recent extended of the 6 extension & Cancelled buses. Had to copy the entire article as it wouldn't let me copy the link

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...ter-buses/

I read that earlier and I'm surprised they didn't have a moan about the lack of service on the Stanley-Lanchester section on Sundays.
I know I would have!

Andreos1

03 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm #3

They knew NUFC were playing at home and know the bus would be going past the Metrocentre, yet they've seemingly not taken that in to account nor remembered about the delays in times gone past.
Traffic is presumably only going to get worse in the lead up to Christmas, so what happens then?
Do they cancel more runs? Shout for more bus lanes? Market their services so people are aware of them? Ensure buses across the network take people to the places they need to be? 
I'll guess it is whatever is the cheapest option...

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm #3

They knew NUFC were playing at home and know the bus would be going past the Metrocentre, yet they've seemingly not taken that in to account nor remembered about the delays in times gone past.
Traffic is presumably only going to get worse in the lead up to Christmas, so what happens then?
Do they cancel more runs? Shout for more bus lanes? Market their services so people are aware of them? Ensure buses across the network take people to the places they need to be? 

DeltaMan

03 Nov 2021, 7:10 pm #4
(03 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm)Andreos1 They knew NUFC were playing at home and know the bus would be going past the Metrocentre, yet they've seemingly not taken that in to account nor remembered about the delays in times gone past.
Newcastle would play a maximum of 19 home league games on a Saturday out of 52 Saturdays a year though. So the bad day run times would get flattened out by the normal days wouldn't they? Maybe GNE should have a 52 different Saturday timetables!
DeltaMan
03 Nov 2021, 7:10 pm #4

(03 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm)Andreos1 They knew NUFC were playing at home and know the bus would be going past the Metrocentre, yet they've seemingly not taken that in to account nor remembered about the delays in times gone past.
Newcastle would play a maximum of 19 home league games on a Saturday out of 52 Saturdays a year though. So the bad day run times would get flattened out by the normal days wouldn't they? Maybe GNE should have a 52 different Saturday timetables!

Andreos1

03 Nov 2021, 7:30 pm #5
(03 Nov 2021, 7:10 pm)DeltaMan Newcastle would play a maximum of 19 home league games on a Saturday out of 52 Saturdays a year though. So the bad day run times would get flattened out by the normal days wouldn't they? Maybe GNE should have a 52 different Saturday timetables!

Excellent idea. You should send it in to GNE Towers as a suggestion. 
You might get a pat on the back for it.
Or they could say it's a load of tosh, look at the services they have shadowing each other between Derwentside and the Metrocentre or Derwentside and Newcastle and come up with some sort of plan, so that when traffic gets busy on the Metrocentre approach roads and a bus gets delayed and then it gets delayed again approaching Newcastle, gets slowed down on the way back out and again in the areas around the Metrocentre - something is in place to mitigate the delays.

It only takes a couple of missing buses for those elastic punters to give up on public transport and make the switch back to the car.
It only takes a couple of those punters cars to delay a bus even more. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Operators doing the same old over and over doesn't improve or change anything.
Thumbs might be lovely to sit on but I'm sure punters prefer them to be used more constructively too. Maybe being used to desig a network that works for a start.

Andreos1
03 Nov 2021, 7:30 pm #5

(03 Nov 2021, 7:10 pm)DeltaMan Newcastle would play a maximum of 19 home league games on a Saturday out of 52 Saturdays a year though. So the bad day run times would get flattened out by the normal days wouldn't they? Maybe GNE should have a 52 different Saturday timetables!

Excellent idea. You should send it in to GNE Towers as a suggestion. 
You might get a pat on the back for it.
Or they could say it's a load of tosh, look at the services they have shadowing each other between Derwentside and the Metrocentre or Derwentside and Newcastle and come up with some sort of plan, so that when traffic gets busy on the Metrocentre approach roads and a bus gets delayed and then it gets delayed again approaching Newcastle, gets slowed down on the way back out and again in the areas around the Metrocentre - something is in place to mitigate the delays.

It only takes a couple of missing buses for those elastic punters to give up on public transport and make the switch back to the car.
It only takes a couple of those punters cars to delay a bus even more. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Operators doing the same old over and over doesn't improve or change anything.
Thumbs might be lovely to sit on but I'm sure punters prefer them to be used more constructively too. Maybe being used to desig a network that works for a start.

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average