Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Plug Sockets/USB Not Working

Plug Sockets/USB Not Working

Plug Sockets/USB Not Working

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next
Keeiajs

12 Nov 2021, 10:02 pm #1
I have been on the Coast & Country, CityRider 56, Prince Bishops and various other 15' & 16' plate Streetlites, not once since Sept 2020 have I been on not once has their been working chargers.
Keeiajs
12 Nov 2021, 10:02 pm #1

I have been on the Coast & Country, CityRider 56, Prince Bishops and various other 15' & 16' plate Streetlites, not once since Sept 2020 have I been on not once has their been working chargers.

12 Nov 2021, 10:18 pm #2
(12 Nov 2021, 10:02 pm)Keeiajs I have been on the Coast & Country, CityRider 56, Prince Bishops and various other 15' & 16' plate Streetlites, not once since Sept 2020 have I been on not once has their been working chargers.
I was on a refurbed TVT today and guess what, the sockets didn't work!

To be fair, I remember getting them when they were brand new and they didn't work then either so it's nowt new!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
12 Nov 2021, 10:18 pm #2

(12 Nov 2021, 10:02 pm)Keeiajs I have been on the Coast & Country, CityRider 56, Prince Bishops and various other 15' & 16' plate Streetlites, not once since Sept 2020 have I been on not once has their been working chargers.
I was on a refurbed TVT today and guess what, the sockets didn't work!

To be fair, I remember getting them when they were brand new and they didn't work then either so it's nowt new!

Andreos1

12 Nov 2021, 10:19 pm #3
(12 Nov 2021, 10:02 pm)Keeiajs I have been on the Coast & Country, CityRider 56, Prince Bishops and various other 15' & 16' plate Streetlites, not once since Sept 2020 have I been on not once has their been working chargers.

I have been on various 15' & 16' plate Streetlites too.
Not once since 2015 have I been on on where there's been working chargers.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 Nov 2021, 10:19 pm #3

(12 Nov 2021, 10:02 pm)Keeiajs I have been on the Coast & Country, CityRider 56, Prince Bishops and various other 15' & 16' plate Streetlites, not once since Sept 2020 have I been on not once has their been working chargers.

I have been on various 15' & 16' plate Streetlites too.
Not once since 2015 have I been on on where there's been working chargers.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Keeiajs

12 Nov 2021, 11:01 pm #4
(12 Nov 2021, 10:18 pm)streetdeckfan I was on a refurbed TVT today and guess what, the sockets didn't work!

It does seem the 16' Plate Streetdecks are working, but not any streetlites.
Keeiajs
12 Nov 2021, 11:01 pm #4

(12 Nov 2021, 10:18 pm)streetdeckfan I was on a refurbed TVT today and guess what, the sockets didn't work!

It does seem the 16' Plate Streetdecks are working, but not any streetlites.

12 Nov 2021, 11:31 pm #5
(12 Nov 2021, 11:01 pm)Keeiajs It does seem the 16' Plate Streetdecks are working, but not any streetlites.
When we had the 16 plate StreetDecks on the X21, the sockets seemed to work more often than not, but it seems with the B5s we have now, they're rarely working.

Were they not supposed to be getting modified so the drivers don't have to manually turn them on every time?

streetdeckfan
12 Nov 2021, 11:31 pm #5

(12 Nov 2021, 11:01 pm)Keeiajs It does seem the 16' Plate Streetdecks are working, but not any streetlites.
When we had the 16 plate StreetDecks on the X21, the sockets seemed to work more often than not, but it seems with the B5s we have now, they're rarely working.

Were they not supposed to be getting modified so the drivers don't have to manually turn them on every time?

Keeiajs

12 Nov 2021, 11:42 pm #6
(12 Nov 2021, 11:31 pm)streetdeckfan When we had the 16 plate StreetDecks on the X21, the sockets seemed to work more often than not, but it seems with the B5s we have now, they're rarely working.

Who thought it would be a good idea to put plugsockets on a bus where the driver has to turn them all on manually
Keeiajs
12 Nov 2021, 11:42 pm #6

(12 Nov 2021, 11:31 pm)streetdeckfan When we had the 16 plate StreetDecks on the X21, the sockets seemed to work more often than not, but it seems with the B5s we have now, they're rarely working.

Who thought it would be a good idea to put plugsockets on a bus where the driver has to turn them all on manually

Storx

13 Nov 2021, 9:04 am #7
Probably because there's staff shortages and it's more important to have running buses than pissing around fixing some plugs. They're really not that important in comparison to bus actually running.
Storx
13 Nov 2021, 9:04 am #7

Probably because there's staff shortages and it's more important to have running buses than pissing around fixing some plugs. They're really not that important in comparison to bus actually running.

DeltaMan

13 Nov 2021, 9:35 am #8
(13 Nov 2021, 9:04 am)Storx Probably because there's staff shortages and it's more important to have running buses than pissing around fixing some plugs. They're really not that important in comparison to bus actually running.
To be fair, I've used the 56 for the last 5 years and I've never had one with working sockets!
DeltaMan
13 Nov 2021, 9:35 am #8

(13 Nov 2021, 9:04 am)Storx Probably because there's staff shortages and it's more important to have running buses than pissing around fixing some plugs. They're really not that important in comparison to bus actually running.
To be fair, I've used the 56 for the last 5 years and I've never had one with working sockets!

13 Nov 2021, 9:48 am #9
(13 Nov 2021, 9:35 am)DeltaMan To be fair, I've used the 56 for the last 5 years and I've never had one with working sockets!
I agree, never been on a single 56 with working sockets
54APhotography
13 Nov 2021, 9:48 am #9

(13 Nov 2021, 9:35 am)DeltaMan To be fair, I've used the 56 for the last 5 years and I've never had one with working sockets!
I agree, never been on a single 56 with working sockets

Adrian

13 Nov 2021, 10:29 am #10

You can't blame staff shortages for this one. The Coast & Country Streetlites for example, and other similar batches, have rarely had working sockets/USB power since day 1. I lost count (although its probably somewhere on this forum) the amount of buses I reported to customer services or asked the driver to note it on the defect card. I actually offered to remove the sockets/USB stickers at one point free of charge Big Grin 

If it's a feature that is advertised as part of a wider product, then I'd argue it is equally as important to ensure it's available. I just don't think depots see it at this, and it's not unique to Go North East. I had the same issue above with Arriva, which also went unresolved.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Nov 2021, 10:29 am #10

You can't blame staff shortages for this one. The Coast & Country Streetlites for example, and other similar batches, have rarely had working sockets/USB power since day 1. I lost count (although its probably somewhere on this forum) the amount of buses I reported to customer services or asked the driver to note it on the defect card. I actually offered to remove the sockets/USB stickers at one point free of charge Big Grin 

If it's a feature that is advertised as part of a wider product, then I'd argue it is equally as important to ensure it's available. I just don't think depots see it at this, and it's not unique to Go North East. I had the same issue above with Arriva, which also went unresolved.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Storx

13 Nov 2021, 10:46 am #11
(13 Nov 2021, 10:29 am)Adrian You can't blame staff shortages for this one. The Coast & Country Streetlites for example, and other similar batches, have rarely had working sockets/USB power since day 1. I lost count (although its probably somewhere on this forum) the amount of buses I reported to customer services or asked the driver to note it on the defect card. I actually offered to remove the sockets/USB stickers at one point free of charge Big Grin 

Yeah that's fair must admit my local buses don't have USB's so I wouldn't know.

Mind half the time it's questionable how much maintenance is done half the time (never mind USB's) with the amount of engine warning lights / alarms you see and the amount of buses which seem to be limp mode for more than one day (admit more of an Arriva problem there) or just sound outright unwell for weeks (and that's all 3 operators). From an outsider, there seems to a be a big, it isn't broke until it's at the side of the road mentality in recent years.

It's not exclusive to buses either as the Metro is just as bad, least buses don't have the problem with the heating being broken throughout the winter but then being on full blast in the summer months.
Storx
13 Nov 2021, 10:46 am #11

(13 Nov 2021, 10:29 am)Adrian You can't blame staff shortages for this one. The Coast & Country Streetlites for example, and other similar batches, have rarely had working sockets/USB power since day 1. I lost count (although its probably somewhere on this forum) the amount of buses I reported to customer services or asked the driver to note it on the defect card. I actually offered to remove the sockets/USB stickers at one point free of charge Big Grin 

Yeah that's fair must admit my local buses don't have USB's so I wouldn't know.

Mind half the time it's questionable how much maintenance is done half the time (never mind USB's) with the amount of engine warning lights / alarms you see and the amount of buses which seem to be limp mode for more than one day (admit more of an Arriva problem there) or just sound outright unwell for weeks (and that's all 3 operators). From an outsider, there seems to a be a big, it isn't broke until it's at the side of the road mentality in recent years.

It's not exclusive to buses either as the Metro is just as bad, least buses don't have the problem with the heating being broken throughout the winter but then being on full blast in the summer months.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Nov 2021, 11:06 am #12

Agreed. It all boils down to Health & Safety requirements. Drivers have to manually turn the 240V sockets on, and if one fuses, it knocks them all off. Given the lower voltage, the USBs can be turned on by default (with an option to turn off, the opposite of the 240V sockets) and unlike the 240V sockets they're not all linked on a circuit so if one goes off the rest aren't affected (from what I understand, with limited electrical knowledge!)

The sockets on the Volvo B9s always used to work (as a semi-regular user of the 56 when the B9s replaced the L94s) and were supposed to be checked again when they first got repainted/refurbished. I noticed a couple of years ago that Arriva started to replace some of their 240v three-pin sockets with USBs, but didn't ever seem to finish them.
Dan
13 Nov 2021, 11:06 am #12

Agreed. It all boils down to Health & Safety requirements. Drivers have to manually turn the 240V sockets on, and if one fuses, it knocks them all off. Given the lower voltage, the USBs can be turned on by default (with an option to turn off, the opposite of the 240V sockets) and unlike the 240V sockets they're not all linked on a circuit so if one goes off the rest aren't affected (from what I understand, with limited electrical knowledge!)

The sockets on the Volvo B9s always used to work (as a semi-regular user of the 56 when the B9s replaced the L94s) and were supposed to be checked again when they first got repainted/refurbished. I noticed a couple of years ago that Arriva started to replace some of their 240v three-pin sockets with USBs, but didn't ever seem to finish them.

13 Nov 2021, 11:17 am #13

I gave up reporting them long ago.

When I tell the driver, the response is usually something like 'yeah, what do you want me to do about it".

And when I report it to customer services I just got the usual "I'll pass it onto the depot", which is obviously just their way of saying to bugger off!

A thing I'm seeing more common recently is even the USB ports on the seat backs not working, in the past they would pretty much always work, albeit very, very slowly.

streetdeckfan
13 Nov 2021, 11:17 am #13

I gave up reporting them long ago.

When I tell the driver, the response is usually something like 'yeah, what do you want me to do about it".

And when I report it to customer services I just got the usual "I'll pass it onto the depot", which is obviously just their way of saying to bugger off!

A thing I'm seeing more common recently is even the USB ports on the seat backs not working, in the past they would pretty much always work, albeit very, very slowly.

13 Nov 2021, 11:33 am #14
(13 Nov 2021, 11:06 am)Dan Agreed. It all boils down to Health & Safety requirements. Drivers have to manually turn the 240V sockets on, and if one fuses, it knocks them all off. Given the lower voltage, the USBs can be turned on by default (with an option to turn off, the opposite of the 240V sockets) and unlike the 240V sockets they're not all linked on a circuit so if one goes off the rest aren't affected (from what I understand, with limited electrical knowledge!)

From the testing on the 240v sockets on the StreetDecks and B5s, it seems that the inverters they use are majorly underpowered for the application.

It seems that a load over 150W is enough to 'trip' the power, even spread out over multiple sockets.

I get that it isn't powerful enough to do silly things like plug in toasters and kettles, but with phones now coming as standard with 20-30W+ chargers in the box, it doesn't take much for the power to cut off.

They also don't seem to be pure sine wave inverters as my USB chargers don't play nicely with them at all.

The 30W charger that came with my phone seems to max out at ~10W on the bus.

streetdeckfan
13 Nov 2021, 11:33 am #14

(13 Nov 2021, 11:06 am)Dan Agreed. It all boils down to Health & Safety requirements. Drivers have to manually turn the 240V sockets on, and if one fuses, it knocks them all off. Given the lower voltage, the USBs can be turned on by default (with an option to turn off, the opposite of the 240V sockets) and unlike the 240V sockets they're not all linked on a circuit so if one goes off the rest aren't affected (from what I understand, with limited electrical knowledge!)

From the testing on the 240v sockets on the StreetDecks and B5s, it seems that the inverters they use are majorly underpowered for the application.

It seems that a load over 150W is enough to 'trip' the power, even spread out over multiple sockets.

I get that it isn't powerful enough to do silly things like plug in toasters and kettles, but with phones now coming as standard with 20-30W+ chargers in the box, it doesn't take much for the power to cut off.

They also don't seem to be pure sine wave inverters as my USB chargers don't play nicely with them at all.

The 30W charger that came with my phone seems to max out at ~10W on the bus.

Keeiajs

13 Nov 2021, 11:39 am #15

Are GNE doing anything about this?
Keeiajs
13 Nov 2021, 11:39 am #15

Are GNE doing anything about this?

Rob44

13 Nov 2021, 11:40 am #16
I'd rather have non working sockets than none at all, which i currently have on the serice i use to drinking sessions, football matches etc! This yourselves lucky!! Wink
Rob44
13 Nov 2021, 11:40 am #16

I'd rather have non working sockets than none at all, which i currently have on the serice i use to drinking sessions, football matches etc! This yourselves lucky!! Wink

13 Nov 2021, 1:13 pm #17
(13 Nov 2021, 11:40 am)Rob44 I'd rather have non working sockets than none at all, which i currently have on the serice i use to drinking sessions, football matches etc! This yourselves lucky!! Wink
I'd rather they didn't advertise there being sockets/USBs if it's a known problem that they don't work, and haven't worked for years!

streetdeckfan
13 Nov 2021, 1:13 pm #17

(13 Nov 2021, 11:40 am)Rob44 I'd rather have non working sockets than none at all, which i currently have on the serice i use to drinking sessions, football matches etc! This yourselves lucky!! Wink
I'd rather they didn't advertise there being sockets/USBs if it's a known problem that they don't work, and haven't worked for years!

Rob44

13 Nov 2021, 3:37 pm #18
(13 Nov 2021, 1:13 pm)streetdeckfan I'd rather they didn't advertise there being sockets/USBs if it's a known problem that they don't work, and haven't worked for years!

i agree! False advertising.... nothing worse.!!!  Smile
Rob44
13 Nov 2021, 3:37 pm #18

(13 Nov 2021, 1:13 pm)streetdeckfan I'd rather they didn't advertise there being sockets/USBs if it's a known problem that they don't work, and haven't worked for years!

i agree! False advertising.... nothing worse.!!!  Smile

DeltaMan

13 Nov 2021, 3:38 pm #19
That's fair enough, but things like phone chargers and WiFi are not only there to attract new customers, but more importantly keep existing ones. There is nothing more annoying then getting on a bus or train that should have USB/socket chargers ghat aren't functioning when your battery is low.
DeltaMan
13 Nov 2021, 3:38 pm #19

That's fair enough, but things like phone chargers and WiFi are not only there to attract new customers, but more importantly keep existing ones. There is nothing more annoying then getting on a bus or train that should have USB/socket chargers ghat aren't functioning when your battery is low.

JP6004

13 Nov 2021, 4:03 pm #20
(13 Nov 2021, 3:37 pm)Rob44 i agree! False advertising.... nothing worse.!!!  Smile
Nkt false advertising at all....they so have sockets USB...nothing to say they work  Tongue
JP6004
13 Nov 2021, 4:03 pm #20

(13 Nov 2021, 3:37 pm)Rob44 i agree! False advertising.... nothing worse.!!!  Smile
Nkt false advertising at all....they so have sockets USB...nothing to say they work  Tongue

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average