Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Night Buses

Night Buses

Night Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next
Andreos1

23 Nov 2021, 9:53 pm #21
(22 Nov 2021, 8:36 pm)big mac What have the passenger numbers been like on the night buses since they were introduced?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

The 0330 21 off Newcastle was heaving apparently. Possibly due to the 0230 not running (allegedly).

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
23 Nov 2021, 9:53 pm #21

(22 Nov 2021, 8:36 pm)big mac What have the passenger numbers been like on the night buses since they were introduced?

The 0330 21 off Newcastle was heaving apparently. Possibly due to the 0230 not running (allegedly).

big mac

24 Nov 2021, 9:07 pm #22
(23 Nov 2021, 9:53 pm)Andreos1 The 0330 21 off Newcastle was heaving apparently. Possibly due to the 0230 not running (allegedly).
There never seems to be any night buses ever mentioned in the short term journey cancellations list.
I'm sure they must have been cancelled at some point.

big mac
24 Nov 2021, 9:07 pm #22

(23 Nov 2021, 9:53 pm)Andreos1 The 0330 21 off Newcastle was heaving apparently. Possibly due to the 0230 not running (allegedly).
There never seems to be any night buses ever mentioned in the short term journey cancellations list.

Keeiajs

24 Nov 2021, 9:55 pm #23
(24 Nov 2021, 9:07 pm)big mac There never seems to be any night buses ever mentioned in the short term journey cancellations list.

I know there has been a few cancellations with the 56/60 once or twice. And I believe there has been N21's about 30 mins lates.
Keeiajs
24 Nov 2021, 9:55 pm #23

(24 Nov 2021, 9:07 pm)big mac There never seems to be any night buses ever mentioned in the short term journey cancellations list.

I know there has been a few cancellations with the 56/60 once or twice. And I believe there has been N21's about 30 mins lates.

Andreos1

24 Nov 2021, 10:17 pm #24

Certainly appears to have been the case on Saturday. According to eldest constantopolous anyway. 
Huge crowds and vulnerable lasses waiting for over an hour in the town.

Andreos1
24 Nov 2021, 10:17 pm #24

Certainly appears to have been the case on Saturday. According to eldest constantopolous anyway. 

citaro5284

25 Nov 2021, 10:11 am #25
(24 Nov 2021, 10:17 pm)Andreos1 Certainly appears to have been the case on Saturday. According to eldest constantopolous anyway. 

There was one missed on Saturday, but nothing to do with the short term cancellations.

Due to Anti-social behaviour, a window was smashed in the Birtley area on its way into Newcastle.
citaro5284
25 Nov 2021, 10:11 am #25

(24 Nov 2021, 10:17 pm)Andreos1 Certainly appears to have been the case on Saturday. According to eldest constantopolous anyway. 

There was one missed on Saturday, but nothing to do with the short term cancellations.

Due to Anti-social behaviour, a window was smashed in the Birtley area on its way into Newcastle.

25 Nov 2021, 11:01 am #26
(25 Nov 2021, 10:11 am)citaro5284 There was one missed on Saturday, but nothing to do with the short term cancellations.

One of the late northbound X21s was cancelled last night, I'm assuming due to antisocial behaviour, given that it was pulled over in Spennymoor surrounded by 4 police cars and at least a dozen police officers.
streetdeckfan
25 Nov 2021, 11:01 am #26

(25 Nov 2021, 10:11 am)citaro5284 There was one missed on Saturday, but nothing to do with the short term cancellations.

One of the late northbound X21s was cancelled last night, I'm assuming due to antisocial behaviour, given that it was pulled over in Spennymoor surrounded by 4 police cars and at least a dozen police officers.

Andreos1

25 Nov 2021, 12:38 pm #27

Thanks for clarifying.

Certainly can't be helped, but I wonder if there's something that could have been done to alert passengers. Particularly on a cold, winter night.

Andreos1
25 Nov 2021, 12:38 pm #27

Thanks for clarifying.

Certainly can't be helped, but I wonder if there's something that could have been done to alert passengers. Particularly on a cold, winter night.

Unber43

29 Jun 2022, 1:13 am #28
Do you not think that GNE maybe should have did I promotion for night buses for the 21, 56 & 60. 

I saw something on FB about people not even knowing that there were night buses till last week and I wondered if especially with the 60 being one spare whether a livery, with the times it runs like Midnight till 5am would actually make people see it more than on Facebook.
Unber43
29 Jun 2022, 1:13 am #28

Do you not think that GNE maybe should have did I promotion for night buses for the 21, 56 & 60. 

I saw something on FB about people not even knowing that there were night buses till last week and I wondered if especially with the 60 being one spare whether a livery, with the times it runs like Midnight till 5am would actually make people see it more than on Facebook.

29 Jun 2022, 6:37 am #29
It was the same when GNE put on the later X85’s.
Loads of people didn’t know they were running. No local leaflet drops, poster campaigns or adverts in the local paper.
there was an advert made but I never saw it on the tv, I think it may have been a YouTube only advert?
Echolima07
29 Jun 2022, 6:37 am #29

It was the same when GNE put on the later X85’s.
Loads of people didn’t know they were running. No local leaflet drops, poster campaigns or adverts in the local paper.
there was an advert made but I never saw it on the tv, I think it may have been a YouTube only advert?

ALavery

29 Jun 2022, 7:22 am #30
(29 Jun 2022, 1:13 am)Unber43 Do you not think that GNE maybe should have did I promotion for night buses for the 21, 56 & 60. 

I think they could definitely have made something really cool out of the new livery on the 56. Also im not sure if its been discussed already but how come the 56 and 60 just stayed the 56 and 60?
ALavery
29 Jun 2022, 7:22 am #30

(29 Jun 2022, 1:13 am)Unber43 Do you not think that GNE maybe should have did I promotion for night buses for the 21, 56 & 60. 

I think they could definitely have made something really cool out of the new livery on the 56. Also im not sure if its been discussed already but how come the 56 and 60 just stayed the 56 and 60?

F114TML

29 Jun 2022, 1:58 pm #31
(29 Jun 2022, 7:22 am)ALavery I think they could definitely have made something really cool out of the new livery on the 56. Also im not sure if its been discussed already but how come the 56 and 60 just stayed the 56 and 60?
Perhaps because the N21 goes to the University, and a different starting point in Newcastle, whereas with the 56 and 60, they just extended the timetable overnight, ergo no real need to change the number.
F114TML
29 Jun 2022, 1:58 pm #31

(29 Jun 2022, 7:22 am)ALavery I think they could definitely have made something really cool out of the new livery on the 56. Also im not sure if its been discussed already but how come the 56 and 60 just stayed the 56 and 60?
Perhaps because the N21 goes to the University, and a different starting point in Newcastle, whereas with the 56 and 60, they just extended the timetable overnight, ergo no real need to change the number.

Andreos1

29 Jun 2022, 2:04 pm #32
No idea and to be honest, I'm not sure even the most optimistic members in here ever thought they would work.

It needed to be a variation of both routes imo. Someone living in Seaham and working at Nissan could be at work within 10mins via the A19 - whether that's driving or using some sort of car share.
Two buses via the world ahead or at the end of a long shift, can't even begin to compete. Regardless of the branding or promotion attached to its livery.

Andreos1
29 Jun 2022, 2:04 pm #32

No idea and to be honest, I'm not sure even the most optimistic members in here ever thought they would work.

It needed to be a variation of both routes imo. Someone living in Seaham and working at Nissan could be at work within 10mins via the A19 - whether that's driving or using some sort of car share.
Two buses via the world ahead or at the end of a long shift, can't even begin to compete. Regardless of the branding or promotion attached to its livery.

29 Jun 2022, 4:35 pm #33
(29 Jun 2022, 2:04 pm)Andreos1 No idea and to be honest, I'm not sure even the most optimistic members in here ever thought they would work.

Why? The 56 gets a good load over it's whole route over night, hence why it's still running mostly come the changes, seems to work.
deanmachine
29 Jun 2022, 4:35 pm #33

(29 Jun 2022, 2:04 pm)Andreos1 No idea and to be honest, I'm not sure even the most optimistic members in here ever thought they would work.

Why? The 56 gets a good load over it's whole route over night, hence why it's still running mostly come the changes, seems to work.

29 Jun 2022, 5:03 pm #34
Night buses need looking at as a whole across the region... I'm sure that I've said it before, but bus operators struggle to meet the needs of those who travel late at night on Fridays and Saturdays, with roads heading out of the city almost as busy as during the day up until 2-3am, so what chance have they got at getting it right every other night?

I'm regularly driving around at night and there is some demand from looking at the numbers of cars and taxis on the road, not just for buses but for the likes of Metro too.
omnicity4659
29 Jun 2022, 5:03 pm #34

Night buses need looking at as a whole across the region... I'm sure that I've said it before, but bus operators struggle to meet the needs of those who travel late at night on Fridays and Saturdays, with roads heading out of the city almost as busy as during the day up until 2-3am, so what chance have they got at getting it right every other night?

I'm regularly driving around at night and there is some demand from looking at the numbers of cars and taxis on the road, not just for buses but for the likes of Metro too.

Drifter60

29 Jun 2022, 5:40 pm #35
(29 Jun 2022, 5:03 pm)omnicity4659 Night buses need looking at as a whole across the region... I'm sure that I've said it before, but bus operators struggle to meet the needs of those who travel late at night on Fridays and Saturdays, with roads heading out of the city almost as busy as during the day up until 2-3am, so what chance have they got at getting it right every other night?

This has been said before and does hit the nail on the head in my opinion. 

I drive so don’t use buses for work, visiting the shops etc. as I take the car. So when I do get the bus, it’s general for leisure activities whereby I either want a drink or parking isn’t feasible. This of course tends to be either in the evenings or weekends. Since the 65 launched evening and Sunday services last September, I’ve used it a couple of times in the evening to travel to/from Seaham on the last buses at approx 10:30. I’ve also done a couple of journeys to/from Durham once on a Saturday early evening and a few times on a Sunday/Bank Holiday. 

Now all of these times of days are facing cuts, evenings are scrapped altogether, Saturday after 3pm reduced it seems and Sundays going two hourly. I understand ‘buses can’t run empty’ but it just seems to me that by cutting where they have you’re reducing all of those key leisure times - such as evening/night life economy, weekend tourism etc. 

The system is flawed.
Drifter60
29 Jun 2022, 5:40 pm #35

(29 Jun 2022, 5:03 pm)omnicity4659 Night buses need looking at as a whole across the region... I'm sure that I've said it before, but bus operators struggle to meet the needs of those who travel late at night on Fridays and Saturdays, with roads heading out of the city almost as busy as during the day up until 2-3am, so what chance have they got at getting it right every other night?

This has been said before and does hit the nail on the head in my opinion. 

I drive so don’t use buses for work, visiting the shops etc. as I take the car. So when I do get the bus, it’s general for leisure activities whereby I either want a drink or parking isn’t feasible. This of course tends to be either in the evenings or weekends. Since the 65 launched evening and Sunday services last September, I’ve used it a couple of times in the evening to travel to/from Seaham on the last buses at approx 10:30. I’ve also done a couple of journeys to/from Durham once on a Saturday early evening and a few times on a Sunday/Bank Holiday. 

Now all of these times of days are facing cuts, evenings are scrapped altogether, Saturday after 3pm reduced it seems and Sundays going two hourly. I understand ‘buses can’t run empty’ but it just seems to me that by cutting where they have you’re reducing all of those key leisure times - such as evening/night life economy, weekend tourism etc. 

The system is flawed.

DeltaMan

29 Jun 2022, 5:49 pm #36
You can throw as much money at drivers as you want, but getting more of them to work lates or overnight is a "bold strategy" to say the least!
DeltaMan
29 Jun 2022, 5:49 pm #36

You can throw as much money at drivers as you want, but getting more of them to work lates or overnight is a "bold strategy" to say the least!

Andreos1

29 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm #37
(29 Jun 2022, 4:35 pm)deanmachine Why? The 56 gets a good load over it's whole route over night, hence why it's still running mostly come the changes, seems to work.
Aye, but they thought the 60 would work on a night.
It was never going to work based on the route it takes and the places it goes to/goes through.

If there's enough people to make a bus from Seaham to Nissan work, then it needs to be as quick or there abouts as a car.
Whatever the N56 does right, isn't because of its marketing  Its because of the route its taken since its 187/188 days and the fact Nissan was built where it was.

Andreos1
29 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm #37

(29 Jun 2022, 4:35 pm)deanmachine Why? The 56 gets a good load over it's whole route over night, hence why it's still running mostly come the changes, seems to work.
Aye, but they thought the 60 would work on a night.
It was never going to work based on the route it takes and the places it goes to/goes through.

If there's enough people to make a bus from Seaham to Nissan work, then it needs to be as quick or there abouts as a car.
Whatever the N56 does right, isn't because of its marketing  Its because of the route its taken since its 187/188 days and the fact Nissan was built where it was.

29 Jun 2022, 6:19 pm #38
(29 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm)Andreos1 Aye, but they thought the 60 would work on a night.

I'm suprised they havent tried a night bus 10, 27 or X1, espically the 27 seen as theres no night metros.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
29 Jun 2022, 6:19 pm #38

(29 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm)Andreos1 Aye, but they thought the 60 would work on a night.

I'm suprised they havent tried a night bus 10, 27 or X1, espically the 27 seen as theres no night metros.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

Storx

29 Jun 2022, 6:38 pm #39
There's no demand for nightbuses imo. As a bus carrying 20 passengers won't pick up anyone up and has to get back to Newcastle or whatever no money there.

I know I've mentioned it before but it's the sort of place where DRT would work but not as it is now. Work it on the basis of you book a taxi, and it groups passengers going to same place or thereabouts and everyone gets the same minibus or a 7 seater if it's 3 of groups 2 etc. for a discounted price with further discounts for groups if they all go to the same stop similar to a taxi.

It's the halfway house and certainly better than what happens now where you have to wait 45 minutes where 20 taxis are going to Whitley Bay and back half the time carrying nothing.
Storx
29 Jun 2022, 6:38 pm #39

There's no demand for nightbuses imo. As a bus carrying 20 passengers won't pick up anyone up and has to get back to Newcastle or whatever no money there.

I know I've mentioned it before but it's the sort of place where DRT would work but not as it is now. Work it on the basis of you book a taxi, and it groups passengers going to same place or thereabouts and everyone gets the same minibus or a 7 seater if it's 3 of groups 2 etc. for a discounted price with further discounts for groups if they all go to the same stop similar to a taxi.

It's the halfway house and certainly better than what happens now where you have to wait 45 minutes where 20 taxis are going to Whitley Bay and back half the time carrying nothing.

Andreos1

29 Jun 2022, 7:07 pm #40
(29 Jun 2022, 6:19 pm)ASX_Terranova I'm suprised they havent tried a night bus 10, 27 or X1, espically the 27 seen as theres no night metros.
Where would the demand for those routes come from? Apart from the nighttime economy in Newcastle, they wouldn't pass by any major employers who have a 24hr operation - like Nissan or Amazon.
It's telling that those sites are all near main roads (to aid distribution of goods) and it's also telling that public transport operators don't use the same road networks to help aid the workforce.

If there's a nighttime network that's going to work, operators need to think outside the box and maybe even offer something which is different to the daytime network.

Whilst a Seaham - Sunderland via Ryhope Road works during the day - a variation of that route in peaks or on a night would offer so much more.
60X: A morning and evening peak version of the 60 via the A19 and Doxford International in to Sunderland. 
60N: Night time version via Nissan and Follingsby to Newcastle would offer so much more than what we see now and would could play a part in making a 24hr network successful.

Couple that with say a 27X and 27N between Shields and Newcastle via Monkton Business Park and/or Boldon Business Park, Nissan and/or Amazon and you've instantly opened up a network that has the potential to work during the day, peaks and night.

Andreos1
29 Jun 2022, 7:07 pm #40

(29 Jun 2022, 6:19 pm)ASX_Terranova I'm suprised they havent tried a night bus 10, 27 or X1, espically the 27 seen as theres no night metros.
Where would the demand for those routes come from? Apart from the nighttime economy in Newcastle, they wouldn't pass by any major employers who have a 24hr operation - like Nissan or Amazon.
It's telling that those sites are all near main roads (to aid distribution of goods) and it's also telling that public transport operators don't use the same road networks to help aid the workforce.

If there's a nighttime network that's going to work, operators need to think outside the box and maybe even offer something which is different to the daytime network.

Whilst a Seaham - Sunderland via Ryhope Road works during the day - a variation of that route in peaks or on a night would offer so much more.
60X: A morning and evening peak version of the 60 via the A19 and Doxford International in to Sunderland. 
60N: Night time version via Nissan and Follingsby to Newcastle would offer so much more than what we see now and would could play a part in making a 24hr network successful.

Couple that with say a 27X and 27N between Shields and Newcastle via Monkton Business Park and/or Boldon Business Park, Nissan and/or Amazon and you've instantly opened up a network that has the potential to work during the day, peaks and night.

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average