Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Best New Brand/Redone Brand of 2021

Best New Brand/Redone Brand of 2021

Best New Brand/Redone Brand of 2021

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Andreos1

05 Dec 2021, 9:33 pm #21
The grey spare livery is the one that stands out for me. 
Maybe it's because it isn't too much of an identi-kit copy and paste that looks like something ran by another operator.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27974644@N07/51523176814
https://www.flickr.com/photos/york-bus/42835576360

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
05 Dec 2021, 9:33 pm #21

The grey spare livery is the one that stands out for me. 
Maybe it's because it isn't too much of an identi-kit copy and paste that looks like something ran by another operator.

06 Dec 2021, 9:34 am #22
(05 Dec 2021, 9:33 pm)Andreos1 The grey spare livery is the one that stands out for me. 
Thanks to the proliferation of Best Impressions designs, all liveries now seem identi-kit...
54APhotography
06 Dec 2021, 9:34 am #22

(05 Dec 2021, 9:33 pm)Andreos1 The grey spare livery is the one that stands out for me. 
Thanks to the proliferation of Best Impressions designs, all liveries now seem identi-kit...

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Dec 2021, 10:13 am #23
(06 Dec 2021, 9:34 am)54APhotography Thanks to the proliferation of Best Impressions designs, all liveries now seem identi-kit...

I don't think it's fair to blame Best Impressions.

Go North East has briefed in the design concepts to the agencies which they use (not limited to Best Impressions). Go North East's Managing Director made it very publicly known when starting at the company that his view was that all branded buses should have something that ties them together in one house style, having achieved something similar in his last position at Reading Buses.

This 'house style' is two colours separated by two 'road stripes' on a 55-degree angle. Inevitably any other operators using a similar livery design will look similar - there are only so many colours in the rainbow, especially colours which don't jar... That's not the design agency's fault, that's the operators'.

Ironically, and further reiterating my point, the two examples Andreos gave above (First Leeds & Tyne Valley 10) were designed by different agencies.
Dan
06 Dec 2021, 10:13 am #23

(06 Dec 2021, 9:34 am)54APhotography Thanks to the proliferation of Best Impressions designs, all liveries now seem identi-kit...

I don't think it's fair to blame Best Impressions.

Go North East has briefed in the design concepts to the agencies which they use (not limited to Best Impressions). Go North East's Managing Director made it very publicly known when starting at the company that his view was that all branded buses should have something that ties them together in one house style, having achieved something similar in his last position at Reading Buses.

This 'house style' is two colours separated by two 'road stripes' on a 55-degree angle. Inevitably any other operators using a similar livery design will look similar - there are only so many colours in the rainbow, especially colours which don't jar... That's not the design agency's fault, that's the operators'.

Ironically, and further reiterating my point, the two examples Andreos gave above (First Leeds & Tyne Valley 10) were designed by different agencies.

mb134

06 Dec 2021, 10:17 am #24
(06 Dec 2021, 10:13 am)Dan Go North East has briefed in the design concepts to the agencies which they use (not limited to Best Impressions). Go North East's Managing Director made it very publicly known when starting at the company that his view was that all branded buses should have something that ties them together in one house style, having achieved something similar in his last position at Reading Buses.

This 'house style' is two colours separated by two 'road stripes' on a 55-degree angle. 

That brief not make it to the Quaycity or Voltra designers then?
mb134
06 Dec 2021, 10:17 am #24

(06 Dec 2021, 10:13 am)Dan Go North East has briefed in the design concepts to the agencies which they use (not limited to Best Impressions). Go North East's Managing Director made it very publicly known when starting at the company that his view was that all branded buses should have something that ties them together in one house style, having achieved something similar in his last position at Reading Buses.

This 'house style' is two colours separated by two 'road stripes' on a 55-degree angle. 

That brief not make it to the Quaycity or Voltra designers then?

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Dec 2021, 10:28 am #25
(06 Dec 2021, 10:17 am)mb134 That brief not make it to the Quaycity or Voltra designers then?

No, they were intentionally designed as services in the 'special' livery.

VOLTRA because it's electric and Go North East wanted them to stand out against the rest, and, right or wrong, Quaycity because of its ties with the Toon Tour and other tourist activity at the Quayside. The Metrocentre Shuttle was similarly branded in the special livery.
Dan
06 Dec 2021, 10:28 am #25

(06 Dec 2021, 10:17 am)mb134 That brief not make it to the Quaycity or Voltra designers then?

No, they were intentionally designed as services in the 'special' livery.

VOLTRA because it's electric and Go North East wanted them to stand out against the rest, and, right or wrong, Quaycity because of its ties with the Toon Tour and other tourist activity at the Quayside. The Metrocentre Shuttle was similarly branded in the special livery.

06 Dec 2021, 11:01 am #26
(06 Dec 2021, 10:13 am)Dan I don't think it's fair to blame Best Impressions.

We will disagree there, looking at the country as a whole you don't need to look twice to spot a BI design, problem is when one person/team is responsible it soon loses any individuality and starts to blend. Your roadstripes are a different aspect, by that ⅔ block colour to ⅓ diagonal break is all over the shop.

It is an observation many see..
54APhotography
06 Dec 2021, 11:01 am #26

We will disagree there, looking at the country as a whole you don't need to look twice to spot a BI design, problem is when one person/team is responsible it soon loses any individuality and starts to blend. Your roadstripes are a different aspect, by that ⅔ block colour to ⅓ diagonal break is all over the shop.

It is an observation many see..

Andreos1

06 Dec 2021, 5:09 pm #27

The brief was obviously to make the Q3 look very similar to the LBA services. https://flic.kr/p/2kGWoCy
https://busandtrainuser.com/2020/09/02/f...flyer/amp/

Take away that corporate road stripe and the differences are even harder to detect.
Do you not find it bizarre that different operators in various parts of the country all seem to be jumping on the same pattern or theme? With designers seemingly struggling to come up with something unique or different?
Yet, designers in other parts of the world (away from the corporate templates set out by those in say Doxford Towers) seem to manage fine.

Unless they're all copying each other (I mean are inspired by) and are desperate to have a curve or vertical/diagonal line of some sort.
Edited 06 Dec 2021, 5:17 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
06 Dec 2021, 5:09 pm #27

The brief was obviously to make the Q3 look very similar to the LBA services. https://flic.kr/p/2kGWoCy

Take away that corporate road stripe and the differences are even harder to detect.
Do you not find it bizarre that different operators in various parts of the country all seem to be jumping on the same pattern or theme? With designers seemingly struggling to come up with something unique or different?
Yet, designers in other parts of the world (away from the corporate templates set out by those in say Doxford Towers) seem to manage fine.

Unless they're all copying each other (I mean are inspired by) and are desperate to have a curve or vertical/diagonal line of some sort.

citaro5284

06 Dec 2021, 5:36 pm #28
(06 Dec 2021, 5:09 pm)Andreos1 The brief was obviously to make the Q3 look very similar to the LBA services. https://flic.kr/p/2kGWoCy

Howay, even a blind man can tell them apart, I fail to see the similarity between Quaycity and Flyer....giz a clue!
citaro5284
06 Dec 2021, 5:36 pm #28

(06 Dec 2021, 5:09 pm)Andreos1 The brief was obviously to make the Q3 look very similar to the LBA services. https://flic.kr/p/2kGWoCy

Howay, even a blind man can tell them apart, I fail to see the similarity between Quaycity and Flyer....giz a clue!

busmanT

07 Dec 2021, 10:10 am #29

To the average passenger, it's not obvious in my view that the buses are run by Go North East - no longer is there a fleet name on the front or above the entrance doors, it's relatively small and towards the rear.
busmanT
07 Dec 2021, 10:10 am #29

To the average passenger, it's not obvious in my view that the buses are run by Go North East - no longer is there a fleet name on the front or above the entrance doors, it's relatively small and towards the rear.

Train8261

07 Dec 2021, 10:21 am #30
Questions you have to ask. Is all this bus branding really working in "getting people back on board"
Train8261
07 Dec 2021, 10:21 am #30

Questions you have to ask. Is all this bus branding really working in "getting people back on board"

07 Dec 2021, 11:52 am #31
(07 Dec 2021, 10:21 am)Train8261 Questions you have to ask. Is all this bus branding really working in "getting people back on board"

Well, considering it was apparently working pre-COVID, with passenger numbers increasing for the first time in a number of years, I imagine it could be.

Does anyone know what passenger numbers are back to? I think last time I saw any figures it was around 70% of pre-COVID levels.
streetdeckfan
07 Dec 2021, 11:52 am #31

(07 Dec 2021, 10:21 am)Train8261 Questions you have to ask. Is all this bus branding really working in "getting people back on board"

Well, considering it was apparently working pre-COVID, with passenger numbers increasing for the first time in a number of years, I imagine it could be.

Does anyone know what passenger numbers are back to? I think last time I saw any figures it was around 70% of pre-COVID levels.

Andreos1

07 Dec 2021, 1:18 pm #32
(06 Dec 2021, 5:36 pm)citaro5284 Howay, even a blind man can tell them apart, I fail to see the similarity between Quaycity and Flyer....giz a clue!

Gerraway man, even you must be able to see the similarities between them?

Andreos1
07 Dec 2021, 1:18 pm #32

(06 Dec 2021, 5:36 pm)citaro5284 Howay, even a blind man can tell them apart, I fail to see the similarity between Quaycity and Flyer....giz a clue!

Gerraway man, even you must be able to see the similarities between them?

JP6004

07 Dec 2021, 1:20 pm #33
(07 Dec 2021, 1:18 pm)Andreos1 Gerraway man, even you must be able to see the similarities between them?
I can see it straight away.....they both versas  Wink
JP6004
07 Dec 2021, 1:20 pm #33

(07 Dec 2021, 1:18 pm)Andreos1 Gerraway man, even you must be able to see the similarities between them?
I can see it straight away.....they both versas  Wink

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average