Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva Pay Rates

Arriva Pay Rates

Arriva Pay Rates

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

04 Dec 2021, 8:32 pm #1
Hey just wondering what are the pay rates like at Jesmond and also at Ashington depot as I'm thinking about applying. Also what are the chances of Jesmond getting a new express route in future.
lloyd647
04 Dec 2021, 8:32 pm #1

Hey just wondering what are the pay rates like at Jesmond and also at Ashington depot as I'm thinking about applying. Also what are the chances of Jesmond getting a new express route in future.

05 Dec 2021, 12:53 am #2
(04 Dec 2021, 8:32 pm)lloyd647 Hey just wondering what are the pay rates like at Jesmond and also at Ashington depot as I'm thinking about applying. Also what are the chances of Jesmond getting a new express route in future.

New starter rates as follows, mini bus £9.30/hr, big bus £9.93/hr, a pittance.

There is a pay rise due in January but no word of any offer yet from Arriva, and the clueless Unite union reps seem in no hurry to get them to make one either.

PS> I'd advise you not to bother applying, it's a thankless job at the moment. However, if you do have your mind set on it and are taken on (just turn up for the interview and you have the job pending a driving assessment) DO NOT join the union, they do nothing to help the drivers. Also bear in mind you'd be liable to repay the cost of your training if you leave the job within the first two years, I think it's about £2000.
Driver9***
05 Dec 2021, 12:53 am #2

(04 Dec 2021, 8:32 pm)lloyd647 Hey just wondering what are the pay rates like at Jesmond and also at Ashington depot as I'm thinking about applying. Also what are the chances of Jesmond getting a new express route in future.

New starter rates as follows, mini bus £9.30/hr, big bus £9.93/hr, a pittance.

There is a pay rise due in January but no word of any offer yet from Arriva, and the clueless Unite union reps seem in no hurry to get them to make one either.

PS> I'd advise you not to bother applying, it's a thankless job at the moment. However, if you do have your mind set on it and are taken on (just turn up for the interview and you have the job pending a driving assessment) DO NOT join the union, they do nothing to help the drivers. Also bear in mind you'd be liable to repay the cost of your training if you leave the job within the first two years, I think it's about £2000.

28 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm #3
Bumping this as we've finally got an offer from the company to ballot on.

Starting rate increase from £9.30 to £10/hr (in line with GNE starter rate) equates to 7.5% rise

Between one and two years service rate increase depending on mini/big bus equates to roughly 5% rise

Over two years service increase £12.20 to £12.55/hr equates to a 2.9% rise

Unite union recommends acceptance of this offer.

My own personal opinion, decent enough rise in the current climate for anyone with less than two years service, everyone else has been shafted.
Driver9***
28 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm #3

Bumping this as we've finally got an offer from the company to ballot on.

Starting rate increase from £9.30 to £10/hr (in line with GNE starter rate) equates to 7.5% rise

Between one and two years service rate increase depending on mini/big bus equates to roughly 5% rise

My own personal opinion, decent enough rise in the current climate for anyone with less than two years service, everyone else has been shafted.

Adrian

28 Feb 2022, 4:08 pm #4
(28 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm)Driver9*** Bumping this as we've finally got an offer from the company to ballot on.

Will you be opting out of the pay increase then, given your opposition to the union and claims they do nothing for you?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
28 Feb 2022, 4:08 pm #4

(28 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm)Driver9*** Bumping this as we've finally got an offer from the company to ballot on.

Will you be opting out of the pay increase then, given your opposition to the union and claims they do nothing for you?

28 Feb 2022, 4:27 pm #5
(28 Feb 2022, 4:08 pm)Adrian Will you be opting out of the pay increase then, given your opposition to the union and claims they do nothing for you?
I came out of the union a long time ago. The union rep at Blyth has seen an increase in his weekly line from 40hrs 45mins to 41 hrs 20 mins as from today. This is despite the fact everyone else is only guaranteed 39 hrs. To top it all his daily driving has gone down from 4hrs to just over 2hrs. So he will be getting an extra 1.4% rise over everyone else for doing half the work he currently does. And I have not made this up, it's a fact. Read into that what you will.
Driver9***
28 Feb 2022, 4:27 pm #5

(28 Feb 2022, 4:08 pm)Adrian Will you be opting out of the pay increase then, given your opposition to the union and claims they do nothing for you?
I came out of the union a long time ago. The union rep at Blyth has seen an increase in his weekly line from 40hrs 45mins to 41 hrs 20 mins as from today. This is despite the fact everyone else is only guaranteed 39 hrs. To top it all his daily driving has gone down from 4hrs to just over 2hrs. So he will be getting an extra 1.4% rise over everyone else for doing half the work he currently does. And I have not made this up, it's a fact. Read into that what you will.

Adrian

28 Feb 2022, 4:43 pm #6
(28 Feb 2022, 4:27 pm)Driver9*** I came out of the union a long time ago. The union rep at Blyth has seen an increase in his weekly line from 40hrs 45mins to 41 hrs 20 mins as from today. This is despite the fact everyone else is only guaranteed 39 hrs. To top it all his daily driving has gone down from 4hrs to just over 2hrs. So he will be getting an extra 1.4% rise over everyone else for doing half the work he currently does. And I have not made this up, it's a fact. Read into that what you will.

But non-union members still get the union negotiated pay increase, subject to being within the defined collective bargaining unit, don't they? Given that 'closed shop' systems aren't legal in the UK. That being said, I am sure the employer would happily allow you to opt out of collective bargaining and thus the negotiated pay deal. 

Most unionised employers give their reps facility time to carry out union work. I'm sure you wouldn't expect people to do the role in their own time.

Adrian
28 Feb 2022, 4:43 pm #6

(28 Feb 2022, 4:27 pm)Driver9*** I came out of the union a long time ago. The union rep at Blyth has seen an increase in his weekly line from 40hrs 45mins to 41 hrs 20 mins as from today. This is despite the fact everyone else is only guaranteed 39 hrs. To top it all his daily driving has gone down from 4hrs to just over 2hrs. So he will be getting an extra 1.4% rise over everyone else for doing half the work he currently does. And I have not made this up, it's a fact. Read into that what you will.

But non-union members still get the union negotiated pay increase, subject to being within the defined collective bargaining unit, don't they? Given that 'closed shop' systems aren't legal in the UK. That being said, I am sure the employer would happily allow you to opt out of collective bargaining and thus the negotiated pay deal. 

Most unionised employers give their reps facility time to carry out union work. I'm sure you wouldn't expect people to do the role in their own time.

28 Feb 2022, 4:55 pm #7
(28 Feb 2022, 4:43 pm)Adrian But non-union members still get the union negotiated pay increase, subject to being within the defined collective bargaining unit, don't they? Given that 'closed shop' systems aren't legal in the UK. That being said, I am sure the employer would happily allow you to opt out of collective bargaining and thus the negotiated pay deal. 

Well obviously you'll know that not being in the union I won't be voting on it so will end up getting whatever is accepted.

As for the union man doing union work, fair enough, but its not the case with the one at my depot. He's paid till 4pm but leaves at 3pm everyday (2pm on Fiday, nice early finish along with the management). He has been challenged about this in the past and has stated he does an hours work on union matters at home in the evening. Yeah, right.
Driver9***
28 Feb 2022, 4:55 pm #7

(28 Feb 2022, 4:43 pm)Adrian But non-union members still get the union negotiated pay increase, subject to being within the defined collective bargaining unit, don't they? Given that 'closed shop' systems aren't legal in the UK. That being said, I am sure the employer would happily allow you to opt out of collective bargaining and thus the negotiated pay deal. 

Well obviously you'll know that not being in the union I won't be voting on it so will end up getting whatever is accepted.

As for the union man doing union work, fair enough, but its not the case with the one at my depot. He's paid till 4pm but leaves at 3pm everyday (2pm on Fiday, nice early finish along with the management). He has been challenged about this in the past and has stated he does an hours work on union matters at home in the evening. Yeah, right.

Chris 1

01 Mar 2022, 12:25 pm #8

So 3 years until you hit the top rate?  Same as Stagecoach now I believe, GNE used to be 4/5 years but not sure if it still is?

Out of interest, what's the score with breaks if you don't mind me asking - all unpaid/part unpaid?
Chris 1
01 Mar 2022, 12:25 pm #8

So 3 years until you hit the top rate?  Same as Stagecoach now I believe, GNE used to be 4/5 years but not sure if it still is?

Out of interest, what's the score with breaks if you don't mind me asking - all unpaid/part unpaid?

RobinHood

01 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm #9
I think you get one unpaid break per duty, up to a maximum of 40/45 minutes (someone may be able to confirm). Anything longer or additional breaks are paid.
RobinHood
01 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm #9

I think you get one unpaid break per duty, up to a maximum of 40/45 minutes (someone may be able to confirm). Anything longer or additional breaks are paid.

01 Mar 2022, 8:57 pm #10
(01 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm)RobinHood I think you get one unpaid break per duty, up to a maximum of 40/45 minutes (someone may be able to confirm). Anything longer or additional breaks are paid.
Yes, anything over 45 mins is paid.
Driver9***
01 Mar 2022, 8:57 pm #10

(01 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm)RobinHood I think you get one unpaid break per duty, up to a maximum of 40/45 minutes (someone may be able to confirm). Anything longer or additional breaks are paid.
Yes, anything over 45 mins is paid.

tcts24

02 Mar 2022, 8:19 am #11
(01 Mar 2022, 12:25 pm)Chris 1 So 3 years until you hit the top rate?  Same as Stagecoach now I believe, GNE used to be 4/5 years but not sure if it still is?

Can't comment on Busways but it's one year to the top rate at Transit
tcts24
02 Mar 2022, 8:19 am #11

(01 Mar 2022, 12:25 pm)Chris 1 So 3 years until you hit the top rate?  Same as Stagecoach now I believe, GNE used to be 4/5 years but not sure if it still is?

Can't comment on Busways but it's one year to the top rate at Transit

tcts24

06 Mar 2022, 7:52 am #12
Unless you count the £12 weekly training payment. In which case it's 2 years.
tcts24
06 Mar 2022, 7:52 am #12

Unless you count the £12 weekly training payment. In which case it's 2 years.

06 Mar 2022, 9:57 am #13
(28 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm)Driver9*** Unite union recommends acceptance of this offer.

Just a correction on this point - the Union cannot recommend acceptance of the offer as not all of the Northumbria depot officials accept the offer.

Check out my Flickr - www.flickr.com/cobalt512
Cobalt271
06 Mar 2022, 9:57 am #13

(28 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm)Driver9*** Unite union recommends acceptance of this offer.

Just a correction on this point - the Union cannot recommend acceptance of the offer as not all of the Northumbria depot officials accept the offer.

Check out my Flickr - www.flickr.com/cobalt512

06 Mar 2022, 4:47 pm #14
(06 Mar 2022, 9:57 am)Cobalt271 Just a correction on this point - the Union cannot recommend acceptance of the offer as not all of the Northumbria depot officials accept the offer.
Yes the Ashington depot official has (quite rightly) broke ranks. 2.9% in the current climate isn't even half the current rate of inflation, but the head union official wants us to accept the company sob story about current hard times etc, despite the fact they will be posting a profit in the tens of millions again this year.
Driver9***
06 Mar 2022, 4:47 pm #14

(06 Mar 2022, 9:57 am)Cobalt271 Just a correction on this point - the Union cannot recommend acceptance of the offer as not all of the Northumbria depot officials accept the offer.
Yes the Ashington depot official has (quite rightly) broke ranks. 2.9% in the current climate isn't even half the current rate of inflation, but the head union official wants us to accept the company sob story about current hard times etc, despite the fact they will be posting a profit in the tens of millions again this year.

Stanleyone

07 Mar 2022, 12:53 am #15
(28 Feb 2022, 4:55 pm)Driver9*** Well obviously you'll know that not being in the union I won't be voting on it so will end up getting whatever is accepted.

As we used to say about our union guy, Friday was always a POETS day.......................Piss off early tomorrows saturday. Pleased I came out of the union and more importantly, got away from the buses.
Stanleyone
07 Mar 2022, 12:53 am #15

(28 Feb 2022, 4:55 pm)Driver9*** Well obviously you'll know that not being in the union I won't be voting on it so will end up getting whatever is accepted.

As we used to say about our union guy, Friday was always a POETS day.......................Piss off early tomorrows saturday. Pleased I came out of the union and more importantly, got away from the buses.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average