Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East X21 B5 reliability

X21 B5 reliability

X21 B5 reliability

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) 1 2 36 Next
10 Dec 2021, 12:35 pm #1
Is there something up with the B5s today?
Both spares are off the road, 2 were taken out of service at CLS mid-journey this morning, and it seems one broke down in Newcastle (from the tracking at least).

Running 4 OmniDekkas and a Versa (which is obviously at capacity when leaving Durham) on a 'premium' route isn't good
streetdeckfan
10 Dec 2021, 12:35 pm #1

Is there something up with the B5s today?
Both spares are off the road, 2 were taken out of service at CLS mid-journey this morning, and it seems one broke down in Newcastle (from the tracking at least).

Running 4 OmniDekkas and a Versa (which is obviously at capacity when leaving Durham) on a 'premium' route isn't good

Keeiajs

10 Dec 2021, 1:36 pm #2
(10 Dec 2021, 12:35 pm)streetdeckfan Is there something up with the B5s today?

not just the X21, 

16/16A/47/47A/309/310/311.
Not to mention there is a Prince Bishops on the 61, a 2019 Liveried one on the 20, Saltwell park on the 56 & 2. Berries on the 9.  Corporate on the X6, Purples on the 33.
Keeiajs
10 Dec 2021, 1:36 pm #2

(10 Dec 2021, 12:35 pm)streetdeckfan Is there something up with the B5s today?

not just the X21, 

16/16A/47/47A/309/310/311.
Not to mention there is a Prince Bishops on the 61, a 2019 Liveried one on the 20, Saltwell park on the 56 & 2. Berries on the 9.  Corporate on the X6, Purples on the 33.

NL62WVW

11 Dec 2021, 3:10 pm #3
The 2 spares are sat in the corner at CLS

6335 had quite a lot of work done to it in august/September time and now has a habit of overheating

Not sure what's up with the rest

Views and Opinions are my own
NL62WVW
11 Dec 2021, 3:10 pm #3

The 2 spares are sat in the corner at CLS

6335 had quite a lot of work done to it in august/September time and now has a habit of overheating

11 Dec 2021, 4:49 pm #4
(11 Dec 2021, 3:10 pm)NL62WVW The 2 spares are sat in the corner at CLS

There's seemingly 4 Omnidekkas on the X21 today as well, those 3 B5s that went off yesterday are still off.

6335 hasn't been out and about since Thursday, and 6334 since 22nd November.

I had to begrudgingly spend an extra hour in Spoons drinking coffee as I didn't fancy the journey up without a table
streetdeckfan
11 Dec 2021, 4:49 pm #4

(11 Dec 2021, 3:10 pm)NL62WVW The 2 spares are sat in the corner at CLS

There's seemingly 4 Omnidekkas on the X21 today as well, those 3 B5s that went off yesterday are still off.

6335 hasn't been out and about since Thursday, and 6334 since 22nd November.

I had to begrudgingly spend an extra hour in Spoons drinking coffee as I didn't fancy the journey up without a table

Jimmi

11 Dec 2021, 4:52 pm #5
The chance of non branded buses appearing on the X21 has recently been increased by the addition of an extra bus into the PVR (now PVR 9) meaning 6308-14 & 6334/5 now all form the full PVR for the service with spares currently being OmniDekka's (until StreetDecks transfer from Consett at least)
Jimmi
11 Dec 2021, 4:52 pm #5

The chance of non branded buses appearing on the X21 has recently been increased by the addition of an extra bus into the PVR (now PVR 9) meaning 6308-14 & 6334/5 now all form the full PVR for the service with spares currently being OmniDekka's (until StreetDecks transfer from Consett at least)

11 Dec 2021, 5:04 pm #6
(11 Dec 2021, 4:52 pm)Jimmi The chance of non branded buses appearing on the X21 has recently been increased by the addition of an extra bus into the PVR (now PVR 9) meaning 6308-14 & 6334/5 now all form the full PVR for the service with spares currently being OmniDekka's (until StreetDecks transfer from Consett at least)

I wouldn't mind the odd Omnidekka here and there, but when less than half of the vehicles are branded, or even meet the specification promised, then it's taking the p.
streetdeckfan
11 Dec 2021, 5:04 pm #6

(11 Dec 2021, 4:52 pm)Jimmi The chance of non branded buses appearing on the X21 has recently been increased by the addition of an extra bus into the PVR (now PVR 9) meaning 6308-14 & 6334/5 now all form the full PVR for the service with spares currently being OmniDekka's (until StreetDecks transfer from Consett at least)

I wouldn't mind the odd Omnidekka here and there, but when less than half of the vehicles are branded, or even meet the specification promised, then it's taking the p.

L469 YVK

11 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm #7
How is the PVR now 9?

I thought it was just a 4 hour round trip?

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Volvo B5TL.

The X21 has never really had the right vehicle allocated. A bit of a shame the newer StreetDecks part of the original plan before COVID never got the chance of redemption.

I still say the X45/X46 would be better suited to Volvo B5TLs due to the lack of evening & Sunday boards (evenings & Sundays covered by E400MMCs interworking with 47, X30, X72) with the newer StreetDecks going the other way.

A bit unfair to tar all StreetDecks with the same brush. The earlier classic E400s weren't great but the later ones before MMCs have been spot on.
Edited 11 Dec 2021, 5:34 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
11 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm #7

How is the PVR now 9?

The X21 has never really had the right vehicle allocated. A bit of a shame the newer StreetDecks part of the original plan before COVID never got the chance of redemption.

I still say the X45/X46 would be better suited to Volvo B5TLs due to the lack of evening & Sunday boards (evenings & Sundays covered by E400MMCs interworking with 47, X30, X72) with the newer StreetDecks going the other way.

A bit unfair to tar all StreetDecks with the same brush. The earlier classic E400s weren't great but the later ones before MMCs have been spot on.

11 Dec 2021, 5:50 pm #8
(11 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm)L469 YVK How is the PVR now 9?

I thought the 67 plate StreetDecks we had on the X21 were spot on, 6332 was basically always allocated to the X21 from new prior to it being moved over to Consett and as far as I'm aware it was rarely off the road. 

The one place I prefer the B5s is on the A1 because they actually have the right gearing to go 'motorway speeds', whereas the Streetdecks don't.
streetdeckfan
11 Dec 2021, 5:50 pm #8

(11 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm)L469 YVK How is the PVR now 9?

I thought the 67 plate StreetDecks we had on the X21 were spot on, 6332 was basically always allocated to the X21 from new prior to it being moved over to Consett and as far as I'm aware it was rarely off the road. 

The one place I prefer the B5s is on the A1 because they actually have the right gearing to go 'motorway speeds', whereas the Streetdecks don't.

Dan

Site Administrator

11 Dec 2021, 6:17 pm #9
(11 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm)L469 YVK How is the PVR now 9?

From 30 October the timetable was revised to include around 25 minutes layover in Newcastle to improve reliability.

The Volvo B5s aren’t unsuited to the X21 at all. Realistically it’s only a very small percentage of the route where the bus is flat out. It’s the typical scenario where a few buses are off service and no spares are carried, so routine maintenance then being carried out looks and feels worse.

In a few weeks there will be StreetDecks spare and it will be less noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
11 Dec 2021, 6:17 pm #9

(11 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm)L469 YVK How is the PVR now 9?

From 30 October the timetable was revised to include around 25 minutes layover in Newcastle to improve reliability.

The Volvo B5s aren’t unsuited to the X21 at all. Realistically it’s only a very small percentage of the route where the bus is flat out. It’s the typical scenario where a few buses are off service and no spares are carried, so routine maintenance then being carried out looks and feels worse.

11 Dec 2021, 7:27 pm #10
(11 Dec 2021, 6:17 pm)Dan From 30 October the timetable was revised to include around 25 minutes layover in Newcastle to improve reliability.

I do disagree slightly about only small parts of the route being flat out.

While obviously it's not motorway, the dual carriage way between Low Fell and A1 is pretty much flat out, as is between CLS and Pity Me, then between Durham and Croxdale, then it's fast A roads between Middlestone Moor and Coundon

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
11 Dec 2021, 7:27 pm #10

(11 Dec 2021, 6:17 pm)Dan From 30 October the timetable was revised to include around 25 minutes layover in Newcastle to improve reliability.

I do disagree slightly about only small parts of the route being flat out.

While obviously it's not motorway, the dual carriage way between Low Fell and A1 is pretty much flat out, as is between CLS and Pity Me, then between Durham and Croxdale, then it's fast A roads between Middlestone Moor and Coundon

L469 YVK

11 Dec 2021, 10:28 pm #11
(11 Dec 2021, 7:27 pm)streetdeckfan I do disagree slightly about only small parts of the route being flat out.

Will be an interesting few years ahead. I still don't agree the B5TL is the right vehicle for the route.

Yes in hindsight between Durham and Newcastle, it's just a 'fast' version of the 21, that route being more than capable of using lightweight vehicles. But given that it goes beyond Durham now and the fact the route is over 31mi long, the likes of the ADL E400MMC  or OM936 StreetDeck is what the route ideally needs for stability.

Obviously the B5TLs do have some life left in them but definitely wouldn't keep on the X21 past 7 year old and I'd suggest replacements when they're between 5-7 year old.

Also taking into account they were hammered on the X9 & X10 suffering a similar fate to 6043-48 which were starting to struggle around 2015 until they were replaced in 2017.
L469 YVK
11 Dec 2021, 10:28 pm #11

(11 Dec 2021, 7:27 pm)streetdeckfan I do disagree slightly about only small parts of the route being flat out.

Will be an interesting few years ahead. I still don't agree the B5TL is the right vehicle for the route.

Yes in hindsight between Durham and Newcastle, it's just a 'fast' version of the 21, that route being more than capable of using lightweight vehicles. But given that it goes beyond Durham now and the fact the route is over 31mi long, the likes of the ADL E400MMC  or OM936 StreetDeck is what the route ideally needs for stability.

Obviously the B5TLs do have some life left in them but definitely wouldn't keep on the X21 past 7 year old and I'd suggest replacements when they're between 5-7 year old.

Also taking into account they were hammered on the X9 & X10 suffering a similar fate to 6043-48 which were starting to struggle around 2015 until they were replaced in 2017.

NL62WVW

12 Dec 2021, 10:22 am #12
The 16 plate streetdecks were a bit ropey before getting replaced by the B5's.

As someone who drives them daily I'd rather have a 67 plate Streetdeck over a B5, the acceleration on a Streetdeck makes up for the lack of top speed.

That timetable change nearly caught me out a few Saturdays ago too, 15 Mins late into town and thought I i was straight in and out of Eldon Square but had 10 mins sit. Has really helped out with reliability of the service

NL62WVW
12 Dec 2021, 10:22 am #12

The 16 plate streetdecks were a bit ropey before getting replaced by the B5's.

As someone who drives them daily I'd rather have a 67 plate Streetdeck over a B5, the acceleration on a Streetdeck makes up for the lack of top speed.

That timetable change nearly caught me out a few Saturdays ago too, 15 Mins late into town and thought I i was straight in and out of Eldon Square but had 10 mins sit. Has really helped out with reliability of the service

12 Dec 2021, 1:39 pm #13
(12 Dec 2021, 10:22 am)NL62WVW The 16 plate streetdecks were a bit ropey before getting replaced by the B5's.

As a passenger, the B5s feel a bit more nippy off the line in comparison to the StreetDecks, it was the first thing I noticed when we got them.
streetdeckfan
12 Dec 2021, 1:39 pm #13

(12 Dec 2021, 10:22 am)NL62WVW The 16 plate streetdecks were a bit ropey before getting replaced by the B5's.

As a passenger, the B5s feel a bit more nippy off the line in comparison to the StreetDecks, it was the first thing I noticed when we got them.

NL62WVW

12 Dec 2021, 1:45 pm #14
(12 Dec 2021, 1:39 pm)streetdeckfan As a passenger, the B5s feel a bit more nippy off the line in comparison to the StreetDecks, it was the first thing I noticed when we got them.

Don't get me wrong there are a few of our B5s that go like the clappers off the mark, but once you get to about 20/25mph the Streetdeck will be upto 50 long before a B5

NL62WVW
12 Dec 2021, 1:45 pm #14

(12 Dec 2021, 1:39 pm)streetdeckfan As a passenger, the B5s feel a bit more nippy off the line in comparison to the StreetDecks, it was the first thing I noticed when we got them.

Don't get me wrong there are a few of our B5s that go like the clappers off the mark, but once you get to about 20/25mph the Streetdeck will be upto 50 long before a B5

12 Dec 2021, 1:54 pm #15
(12 Dec 2021, 1:45 pm)NL62WVW Don't get me wrong there are a few of our B5s that go like the clappers off the mark, but once you get to about 20/25mph the Streetdeck will be upto 50 long before a B5

Yeah, I'd say that's probably about right. It was going around Woodhouse Estate that they felt quick, even with drivers that are traditionally dawdlers.

The downside though is when you have a driver that starts to move off when you're still going up the stairs, you really have to hold on!
streetdeckfan
12 Dec 2021, 1:54 pm #15

(12 Dec 2021, 1:45 pm)NL62WVW Don't get me wrong there are a few of our B5s that go like the clappers off the mark, but once you get to about 20/25mph the Streetdeck will be upto 50 long before a B5

Yeah, I'd say that's probably about right. It was going around Woodhouse Estate that they felt quick, even with drivers that are traditionally dawdlers.

The downside though is when you have a driver that starts to move off when you're still going up the stairs, you really have to hold on!

Malarkey

13 Dec 2021, 2:09 pm #16
5411, 6146, 6164 & 8296 are all allocated with X-Lines spares 6335/6377 to the X21 today according to Bus Times with the only Branded examples in service being 6310, 6312 & 6313.

6308, 6309, 6311, 6314 & 6334 are the ones currently off the road.
Malarkey
13 Dec 2021, 2:09 pm #16

5411, 6146, 6164 & 8296 are all allocated with X-Lines spares 6335/6377 to the X21 today according to Bus Times with the only Branded examples in service being 6310, 6312 & 6313.

Keeiajs

13 Dec 2021, 5:08 pm #17
(13 Dec 2021, 2:09 pm)Malarkey 5411, 6146, 6164 & 8296 are all allocated with X-Lines spares 6335/6377 to the X21 today according to Bus Times with the only Branded examples in service being 6310, 6312 & 6313.

It is beyond a joke.
Keeiajs
13 Dec 2021, 5:08 pm #17

(13 Dec 2021, 2:09 pm)Malarkey 5411, 6146, 6164 & 8296 are all allocated with X-Lines spares 6335/6377 to the X21 today according to Bus Times with the only Branded examples in service being 6310, 6312 & 6313.

It is beyond a joke.

Jimmi

13 Dec 2021, 7:55 pm #18

5411 was actually on the 21 this morning before later finding it's way onto the X21, 5411 replaced 6308 around lunchtime with 8296 replacing 6162 shortly after.

8325 also took 3941's place on the X22 (also performing 888/91/X1A) although 3941 came back out for scholars and the 1628 X22 to Durham.

3942, 6165 are off atm

*all this info is from BusTimes
Jimmi
13 Dec 2021, 7:55 pm #18

5411 was actually on the 21 this morning before later finding it's way onto the X21, 5411 replaced 6308 around lunchtime with 8296 replacing 6162 shortly after.

8325 also took 3941's place on the X22 (also performing 888/91/X1A) although 3941 came back out for scholars and the 1628 X22 to Durham.

3942, 6165 are off atm

*all this info is from BusTimes

14 Dec 2021, 5:59 pm #19

Low Fell to A1 can't be more than a mile and I'm sure it's 40mph limit. A167 from Chester to Durham is 50 and the Angel's cope well enough with that. After Neville's Cross to Tudhoe is national speed limit and Middlestone Moor to Bishop is too which is fair enough. I wouldn't say any of them are particularly long stretches flat out - certainly compared to what the B5s used to operate. The X84/85 probably spends longer flat out than the X21 at any point.

In all honesty, I don't see any reason when any bus should have an issue with the X21, other than that the StreetDecks which used to be on them seem to have been fairly problematic no matter where they've been put and as already mentioned, the B5s have been flogged on the X10 like the B9s were before that.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
14 Dec 2021, 5:59 pm #19

Low Fell to A1 can't be more than a mile and I'm sure it's 40mph limit. A167 from Chester to Durham is 50 and the Angel's cope well enough with that. After Neville's Cross to Tudhoe is national speed limit and Middlestone Moor to Bishop is too which is fair enough. I wouldn't say any of them are particularly long stretches flat out - certainly compared to what the B5s used to operate. The X84/85 probably spends longer flat out than the X21 at any point.

In all honesty, I don't see any reason when any bus should have an issue with the X21, other than that the StreetDecks which used to be on them seem to have been fairly problematic no matter where they've been put and as already mentioned, the B5s have been flogged on the X10 like the B9s were before that.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

L469 YVK

14 Dec 2021, 6:14 pm #20
To be honest, with the expansion of EV's over the coming years, I doubt the B5TLs will be on the X21 beyond 2024/2025 (8 year old), most likely end up on the 58 by then.

The B5TLs should suffice until at least then and are ok for now.

However whilst I doubt new vehicles will be purchased for the X21 (diesel or electric), given the following route profile:

- Constituencies = Build back greener = Support from Government
- Infrastructure at Consett depot
- Routes serving Redheugh Bridge, Bensham Bank, Tyne Bridge and Central Station

I could potentially see something like the X30's/X70's getting EV's BUT not until at least 2024-25ish. That would then allow 6341-49 to succeed 6308-14 & 6334-35 on the X21 with 6350/51 providing enough Euro 6 spares or being split across GNE along with 6338-40 to provide backups should GNE choose ADL/BYD for their EV decker orders.
L469 YVK
14 Dec 2021, 6:14 pm #20

To be honest, with the expansion of EV's over the coming years, I doubt the B5TLs will be on the X21 beyond 2024/2025 (8 year old), most likely end up on the 58 by then.

The B5TLs should suffice until at least then and are ok for now.

However whilst I doubt new vehicles will be purchased for the X21 (diesel or electric), given the following route profile:

- Constituencies = Build back greener = Support from Government
- Infrastructure at Consett depot
- Routes serving Redheugh Bridge, Bensham Bank, Tyne Bridge and Central Station

I could potentially see something like the X30's/X70's getting EV's BUT not until at least 2024-25ish. That would then allow 6341-49 to succeed 6308-14 & 6334-35 on the X21 with 6350/51 providing enough Euro 6 spares or being split across GNE along with 6338-40 to provide backups should GNE choose ADL/BYD for their EV decker orders.

Pages (6) 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average