Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East | Sunday timetables all weekend

Go North East | Sunday timetables all weekend

Go North East | Sunday timetables all weekend

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average

Pages (15) Previous 1 2 3 415 Next
Omega54

08 Jan 2022, 5:28 pm #41
(08 Jan 2022, 4:46 pm)mb134 And? As a driver that isn't their problem.

Put a "Bus Full" display on, as many ANE buses I saw today did, and direct any complaints to customer services.
Which isn't open...
Omega54
08 Jan 2022, 5:28 pm #41

(08 Jan 2022, 4:46 pm)mb134 And? As a driver that isn't their problem.

Put a "Bus Full" display on, as many ANE buses I saw today did, and direct any complaints to customer services.
Which isn't open...

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2022, 5:34 pm #42
(08 Jan 2022, 5:28 pm)Omega54 Which isn't open...

Which is still not the problem of the driver. If an accident was to occur on that vehicle and people were injured, it would be the driver who would be at fault if the vehicle was found to be overloaded. It really isn't worth potentially losing your licence, livelihood. and perhaps even your freedom just to squeeze a few more passengers on board, no matter how justified you feel in doing so.
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2022, 5:34 pm #42

Which is still not the problem of the driver. If an accident was to occur on that vehicle and people were injured, it would be the driver who would be at fault if the vehicle was found to be overloaded. It really isn't worth potentially losing your licence, livelihood. and perhaps even your freedom just to squeeze a few more passengers on board, no matter how justified you feel in doing so.

Omega54

08 Jan 2022, 5:36 pm #43
https://twitter.com/Keef_B_1/status/1479...43690?s=20  idk what service this is on, however it is time to bring back limited social distancing e.g no standing, as Omicron is just hammering everywhere and the IHU variant god knows what that is going to bring.
Omega54
08 Jan 2022, 5:36 pm #43

https://twitter.com/Keef_B_1/status/1479...43690?s=20  idk what service this is on, however it is time to bring back limited social distancing e.g no standing, as Omicron is just hammering everywhere and the IHU variant god knows what that is going to bring.

Jimmi

08 Jan 2022, 6:02 pm #44
(08 Jan 2022, 4:20 pm)mb134 Regardless of the decision to reduce service level, it's beyond belief that the driver decided to risk their livelihood to get a few extra punters into town. They shouldn't have been put in that position by the company anyway, but you don't go and make it worse by allowing folk to stand upstairs and inevitably also breaking capacity limits. 

It was well publicised that today's cup game was going to be essentially sold out well in advance, which makes the decision to cut service to a Sunday level even worse.

Terrible thing is, it's situations like this that is swaying drivers into leaving, whatever drivers do it's a lose/lose situation and they're often the ones that get the grief from the passengers when things go wrong.

The idea of most services running a Sunday timetable on a Saturday effectively halving the capacity on busy runs like the 20 & X1 is certainly not an attractive concept to me and those that faced the issues from this today will most likely come to the same conclusion for as long as this goes on for and maybe even a permanent mindset for not using public transport to many.
Jimmi
08 Jan 2022, 6:02 pm #44

(08 Jan 2022, 4:20 pm)mb134 Regardless of the decision to reduce service level, it's beyond belief that the driver decided to risk their livelihood to get a few extra punters into town. They shouldn't have been put in that position by the company anyway, but you don't go and make it worse by allowing folk to stand upstairs and inevitably also breaking capacity limits. 

It was well publicised that today's cup game was going to be essentially sold out well in advance, which makes the decision to cut service to a Sunday level even worse.

Terrible thing is, it's situations like this that is swaying drivers into leaving, whatever drivers do it's a lose/lose situation and they're often the ones that get the grief from the passengers when things go wrong.

The idea of most services running a Sunday timetable on a Saturday effectively halving the capacity on busy runs like the 20 & X1 is certainly not an attractive concept to me and those that faced the issues from this today will most likely come to the same conclusion for as long as this goes on for and maybe even a permanent mindset for not using public transport to many.

Andreos1

08 Jan 2022, 6:15 pm #45
But should be. 
Additional resource to answer issues, queries, questions may counter some of the loss of goodwill passengers have towards operators on days like today.

Maybe getting all hands on deck and ensuring those at the top are leading by example would be a start too.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
08 Jan 2022, 6:15 pm #45

But should be. 
Additional resource to answer issues, queries, questions may counter some of the loss of goodwill passengers have towards operators on days like today.

Maybe getting all hands on deck and ensuring those at the top are leading by example would be a start too.

mb134

08 Jan 2022, 6:20 pm #46
(08 Jan 2022, 6:02 pm)Jimmi Terrible thing is, it's situations like this that is swaying drivers into leaving, whatever drivers do it's a lose/lose situation and they're often the ones that get the grief from the passengers when things go wrong.

Oh absolutely and, while ultimately the driver is at fault for carrying over the limit, the drivers are being put in these situations by people who don't have the first idea what dealing with the public can be like.

Mind, I can't get my head around how they didn't forsee this and plan in duplicates. You're cutting service level from Saturday to Sunday, which I'd imagine is a reasonably significant cut in drivers rostered to work - surely they can't be that short?
mb134
08 Jan 2022, 6:20 pm #46

(08 Jan 2022, 6:02 pm)Jimmi Terrible thing is, it's situations like this that is swaying drivers into leaving, whatever drivers do it's a lose/lose situation and they're often the ones that get the grief from the passengers when things go wrong.

Oh absolutely and, while ultimately the driver is at fault for carrying over the limit, the drivers are being put in these situations by people who don't have the first idea what dealing with the public can be like.

Mind, I can't get my head around how they didn't forsee this and plan in duplicates. You're cutting service level from Saturday to Sunday, which I'd imagine is a reasonably significant cut in drivers rostered to work - surely they can't be that short?

Andreos1

08 Jan 2022, 6:33 pm #47
(08 Jan 2022, 6:20 pm)mb134 Oh absolutely and, while ultimately the driver is at fault for carrying over the limit, the drivers are being put in these situations by people who don't have the first idea what dealing with the public can be like.

Or larger vehicles in the case of some routes.

Andreos1
08 Jan 2022, 6:33 pm #47

(08 Jan 2022, 6:20 pm)mb134 Oh absolutely and, while ultimately the driver is at fault for carrying over the limit, the drivers are being put in these situations by people who don't have the first idea what dealing with the public can be like.

Or larger vehicles in the case of some routes.

Adrian

08 Jan 2022, 6:45 pm #48

Absolutely. The sell-out at St James' should have rang alarm bells when the decision was made to revert to a Sunday timetable at extremely short notice, and it should have been a priority to ensure there was additional capacity available on the X1 before and after the match.

Having that many people in a confined space just isn't safe at the moment, even with the windows open, and that's before you get into the issue about passengers being allowed to stand upstairs. 

(08 Jan 2022, 6:15 pm)Andreos1 But should be. 

Maybe getting all hands on deck and ensuring those at the top are leading by example.

Drivers have been put in the firing line today by this decision. An unacceptable amount of notice, leaving most customers unaware, and then no one available at customer services to contact instead. 

Sadly I think it stems from an industry attitude of not being accountable to customers, and that people will continue using services out of necessity anyway.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
08 Jan 2022, 6:45 pm #48

Absolutely. The sell-out at St James' should have rang alarm bells when the decision was made to revert to a Sunday timetable at extremely short notice, and it should have been a priority to ensure there was additional capacity available on the X1 before and after the match.

Having that many people in a confined space just isn't safe at the moment, even with the windows open, and that's before you get into the issue about passengers being allowed to stand upstairs. 

(08 Jan 2022, 6:15 pm)Andreos1 But should be. 

Maybe getting all hands on deck and ensuring those at the top are leading by example.

Drivers have been put in the firing line today by this decision. An unacceptable amount of notice, leaving most customers unaware, and then no one available at customer services to contact instead. 

Sadly I think it stems from an industry attitude of not being accountable to customers, and that people will continue using services out of necessity anyway.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Wybus

08 Jan 2022, 7:13 pm #49
The X1 was always going to be the flash point due to it only running every 30 mins on Sundays (56 is every 20 mins so not as bad) and there being no alternatives to get into Newcastle, no other routes, no Metro.

For this trip ahead of the match, and presumably one coming back they should really have planned in a duplicate, driven by office staff, management, a school bus driver who only works during the week, anyone even someone from another depot.
Wybus
08 Jan 2022, 7:13 pm #49

The X1 was always going to be the flash point due to it only running every 30 mins on Sundays (56 is every 20 mins so not as bad) and there being no alternatives to get into Newcastle, no other routes, no Metro.

For this trip ahead of the match, and presumably one coming back they should really have planned in a duplicate, driven by office staff, management, a school bus driver who only works during the week, anyone even someone from another depot.

08 Jan 2022, 7:24 pm #50
(08 Jan 2022, 6:45 pm)Adrian Absolutely. The sell-out at St James' should have rang alarm bells when the decision was made to revert to a Sunday timetable at extremely short notice, and it should have been a priority to ensure there was additional capacity available on the X1 before and after the match.

Utterly irresponsible from GNE.  The stupidity in allowing overcrowding, which is only going to lead to higher case rates and so higher absences and more problems…it beggars belief.

The general situation of reckless overcrowding won’t have been helped by the operation of smaller vehicles on unaffected decker routes as well.  In the space of 5 mins in Gateshead this afternoon I noted a corporate Streetlite on 27 and an Orbit on the 93.  Oddly there’s also been an Orbit on a 6/12 board too.  Still a good number of breakdowns reported on social media, further cutting service levels.

GNE fb page (presumably autoposting) reporting more unplanned cancellations tomorrow – though the page it is linking to hasn’t been updated since Friday so shows nothing about tomorrow…
stagecoachbusdepot
08 Jan 2022, 7:24 pm #50

(08 Jan 2022, 6:45 pm)Adrian Absolutely. The sell-out at St James' should have rang alarm bells when the decision was made to revert to a Sunday timetable at extremely short notice, and it should have been a priority to ensure there was additional capacity available on the X1 before and after the match.

Utterly irresponsible from GNE.  The stupidity in allowing overcrowding, which is only going to lead to higher case rates and so higher absences and more problems…it beggars belief.

The general situation of reckless overcrowding won’t have been helped by the operation of smaller vehicles on unaffected decker routes as well.  In the space of 5 mins in Gateshead this afternoon I noted a corporate Streetlite on 27 and an Orbit on the 93.  Oddly there’s also been an Orbit on a 6/12 board too.  Still a good number of breakdowns reported on social media, further cutting service levels.

GNE fb page (presumably autoposting) reporting more unplanned cancellations tomorrow – though the page it is linking to hasn’t been updated since Friday so shows nothing about tomorrow…

DeltaMan

08 Jan 2022, 7:28 pm #51
I guess the situation is so bad that every option for GNE is a terrible one.

It will be intresting to see how many trips from Sunderland, Consett and Washington appear on the cancelled list during the week, as I assume those that were working Saturday will have rest days moved?
DeltaMan
08 Jan 2022, 7:28 pm #51

I guess the situation is so bad that every option for GNE is a terrible one.

It will be intresting to see how many trips from Sunderland, Consett and Washington appear on the cancelled list during the week, as I assume those that were working Saturday will have rest days moved?

Jimmi

08 Jan 2022, 7:35 pm #52
(08 Jan 2022, 6:45 pm)Adrian Drivers have been put in the firing line today by this decision. An unacceptable amount of notice, leaving most customers unaware, and then no one available at customer services to contact instead. 

Whilst there's only so much that can be done to combat these problems right now, the constant excuses being dished out just makes things even more infuriating and many won't understand what's going on and only sees them being screwed over.

Less than 48 hours notice for such a significant drop in service is pretty dire and no doubt will not have been picked up by many, I only happened to find out via it being posted in an enthusiast Facebook group followed by this forum with limited posts on their own social media using the standard template that has been used so commonly now for multiple purposes that it's barely noticeable now, could be more service cuts, could be more about fares, easily missed whilst just scrolling through Facebook (had to unfollow on Twitter as the service updates posts whilst useful just made it more difficult to see any other posts on my timeline)
Jimmi
08 Jan 2022, 7:35 pm #52

(08 Jan 2022, 6:45 pm)Adrian Drivers have been put in the firing line today by this decision. An unacceptable amount of notice, leaving most customers unaware, and then no one available at customer services to contact instead. 

Whilst there's only so much that can be done to combat these problems right now, the constant excuses being dished out just makes things even more infuriating and many won't understand what's going on and only sees them being screwed over.

Less than 48 hours notice for such a significant drop in service is pretty dire and no doubt will not have been picked up by many, I only happened to find out via it being posted in an enthusiast Facebook group followed by this forum with limited posts on their own social media using the standard template that has been used so commonly now for multiple purposes that it's barely noticeable now, could be more service cuts, could be more about fares, easily missed whilst just scrolling through Facebook (had to unfollow on Twitter as the service updates posts whilst useful just made it more difficult to see any other posts on my timeline)

BusLoverMum

08 Jan 2022, 7:50 pm #53
(07 Jan 2022, 6:27 pm)Adrian It also makes you wonder if public transport is as safe as its claimed to be, with little in place to protect the driver and customers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Well I’m certainly avoiding it, right now!

I suspect not a lot of people will have got the message today. Husband made no mention of any notices on bus stops (where most people will start their journeys, rather than bus stations) when littl’un dragged him out on his daily bus hunt, today. And without knowing about this reduction, I was pitying people relying on the timetables in bus shelters, as according to the one near county hall, the X22 is still running.
BusLoverMum
08 Jan 2022, 7:50 pm #53

(07 Jan 2022, 6:27 pm)Adrian It also makes you wonder if public transport is as safe as its claimed to be, with little in place to protect the driver and customers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Well I’m certainly avoiding it, right now!

I suspect not a lot of people will have got the message today. Husband made no mention of any notices on bus stops (where most people will start their journeys, rather than bus stations) when littl’un dragged him out on his daily bus hunt, today. And without knowing about this reduction, I was pitying people relying on the timetables in bus shelters, as according to the one near county hall, the X22 is still running.

Jimmi

08 Jan 2022, 7:57 pm #54
(08 Jan 2022, 7:50 pm)BusLoverMum Well I’m certainly avoiding it, right now!

That's another issue, many timetables away from the operators own website have not been updated, Google Maps for example is still show the pre "temporary" cut times for the X9/X10 as well as the suspended X22. Took DCC a while to update the timetables along the 7 route when it dropped from a 15 to a 20 minute frequency (at least I think they were updated)
Jimmi
08 Jan 2022, 7:57 pm #54

(08 Jan 2022, 7:50 pm)BusLoverMum Well I’m certainly avoiding it, right now!

That's another issue, many timetables away from the operators own website have not been updated, Google Maps for example is still show the pre "temporary" cut times for the X9/X10 as well as the suspended X22. Took DCC a while to update the timetables along the 7 route when it dropped from a 15 to a 20 minute frequency (at least I think they were updated)

BusLoverMum

08 Jan 2022, 8:02 pm #55
(08 Jan 2022, 7:57 pm)Jimmi That's another issue, many timetables away from the operators own website have not been updated, Google Maps for example is still show the pre "temporary" cut times for the X9/X10 as well as the suspended X22. Took DCC a while to update the timetables along the 7 route when it dropped from a 15 to a 20 minute frequency (at least I think they were updated)
When they are updated, the accuracy is suspect. I’ve mentioned before that the one in the new college stop had no mention of the 21 for the best part of a year.
BusLoverMum
08 Jan 2022, 8:02 pm #55

(08 Jan 2022, 7:57 pm)Jimmi That's another issue, many timetables away from the operators own website have not been updated, Google Maps for example is still show the pre "temporary" cut times for the X9/X10 as well as the suspended X22. Took DCC a while to update the timetables along the 7 route when it dropped from a 15 to a 20 minute frequency (at least I think they were updated)
When they are updated, the accuracy is suspect. I’ve mentioned before that the one in the new college stop had no mention of the 21 for the best part of a year.

mb134

08 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm #56
One of the things, other than what has already been discussed, that I find particularly strange about this decision to cut Saturday service levels is that it goes against a hell of a lot of the marketing etc. of the past year.

There's been a huge push to increase leisure travel numbers through numerous methods, given the fall in commuter passenger numbers. Yet the first thing to get the cut when push comes to shove is the market apparently viewed as being key to recovery...

No doubt hundreds of people will have had more than disappointing experiences today, which will be passed on to friends and family.

I wonder if a more sensible approach would have been to drop non-peak hour M-F service levels?
mb134
08 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm #56

One of the things, other than what has already been discussed, that I find particularly strange about this decision to cut Saturday service levels is that it goes against a hell of a lot of the marketing etc. of the past year.

There's been a huge push to increase leisure travel numbers through numerous methods, given the fall in commuter passenger numbers. Yet the first thing to get the cut when push comes to shove is the market apparently viewed as being key to recovery...

No doubt hundreds of people will have had more than disappointing experiences today, which will be passed on to friends and family.

I wonder if a more sensible approach would have been to drop non-peak hour M-F service levels?

DeltaMan

08 Jan 2022, 8:23 pm #57
(08 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm)mb134 One of the things, other than what has already been discussed, that I find particularly strange about this decision to cut Saturday service levels is that it goes against a hell of a lot of the marketing etc. of the past year.

You don't save drivers doing that as somebody still needs to take the bus out first thing and take the bus back in the evening.
DeltaMan
08 Jan 2022, 8:23 pm #57

(08 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm)mb134 One of the things, other than what has already been discussed, that I find particularly strange about this decision to cut Saturday service levels is that it goes against a hell of a lot of the marketing etc. of the past year.

You don't save drivers doing that as somebody still needs to take the bus out first thing and take the bus back in the evening.

Jimmi

08 Jan 2022, 9:09 pm #58

Weekends are the worst to get drivers in to work especially when short staffed especially as I think there's little to no incentive to work these days?

Another thing that doesn't help covering services on weekends is sometimes other work being picked up, Rail Replacement's, Metro Replacement's, shuttle services for the likes of Kynryn and in the case of today, the St James' Park & Ride service from the Metrocentre which was promoted near enough on near the same level as the Sunday timetables were on their socials.
Jimmi
08 Jan 2022, 9:09 pm #58

Weekends are the worst to get drivers in to work especially when short staffed especially as I think there's little to no incentive to work these days?

Another thing that doesn't help covering services on weekends is sometimes other work being picked up, Rail Replacement's, Metro Replacement's, shuttle services for the likes of Kynryn and in the case of today, the St James' Park & Ride service from the Metrocentre which was promoted near enough on near the same level as the Sunday timetables were on their socials.

Omega54

08 Jan 2022, 9:10 pm #59
(08 Jan 2022, 6:33 pm)Andreos1 Or larger vehicles in the case of some routes.
You could put the 56' plate Omnidekkas afaik they have over 20 extra seats and probs more standing. 

who thought it would be a good idea to put the X1 to every 30 mins on a Saturday. In some places there wasn't a 50 for over 2 hours. I saw something on twitter where a place i think it was Bridgehall or something like that, got cut from a bus every 15mins to 1 hour, and i believe it was only the 47 or 47A. 

78 had double decker throughout most of the days. It gets me back to thinking how many of these are 'temporary' will we see the X22 again. Will the X1 be moved back to every 12mins. Or 20. A lot of these have been happening for atleast 3 months, granted we aren't out of the situation yet, with Deptford being the worst hit atm after not getting any for months. 

Could be see a 20/20A - every 20 mins extened to South Sheilds, every 10 mins Sunderland - Durham. I saw many X45/X46's full today, and 47/47A full aswell, not to mention there was a coast & country on the X46 or X45 today aswell.
Omega54
08 Jan 2022, 9:10 pm #59

(08 Jan 2022, 6:33 pm)Andreos1 Or larger vehicles in the case of some routes.
You could put the 56' plate Omnidekkas afaik they have over 20 extra seats and probs more standing. 

who thought it would be a good idea to put the X1 to every 30 mins on a Saturday. In some places there wasn't a 50 for over 2 hours. I saw something on twitter where a place i think it was Bridgehall or something like that, got cut from a bus every 15mins to 1 hour, and i believe it was only the 47 or 47A. 

78 had double decker throughout most of the days. It gets me back to thinking how many of these are 'temporary' will we see the X22 again. Will the X1 be moved back to every 12mins. Or 20. A lot of these have been happening for atleast 3 months, granted we aren't out of the situation yet, with Deptford being the worst hit atm after not getting any for months. 

Could be see a 20/20A - every 20 mins extened to South Sheilds, every 10 mins Sunderland - Durham. I saw many X45/X46's full today, and 47/47A full aswell, not to mention there was a coast & country on the X46 or X45 today aswell.

Ambassador

08 Jan 2022, 9:43 pm #60
I caught the 21 today relatively unaffected by the disruption…you’d think.

Waited 20 in Birtley and the first bus turned up full, someone flagged the trailing bus to the clear annoyance of the driver who quite possibly was the single worst example,of customer service ever. I’d call him an utter areshole tbh. Loudly muttered under his breath, seemed put out he had to serve nufc fans, Missed stops, whinged at customers…utterly utterly appalling.

On the way back, no 21.06:from Newcastle, not on the cancellation list. 42 mins for the next bus. Appalling service. I got an Uber.

Today told me…never rely on buses ever

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
08 Jan 2022, 9:43 pm #60

I caught the 21 today relatively unaffected by the disruption…you’d think.

Waited 20 in Birtley and the first bus turned up full, someone flagged the trailing bus to the clear annoyance of the driver who quite possibly was the single worst example,of customer service ever. I’d call him an utter areshole tbh. Loudly muttered under his breath, seemed put out he had to serve nufc fans, Missed stops, whinged at customers…utterly utterly appalling.

On the way back, no 21.06:from Newcastle, not on the cancellation list. 42 mins for the next bus. Appalling service. I got an Uber.

Today told me…never rely on buses ever

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Pages (15) Previous 1 2 3 415 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average