Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East | Sunday timetables all weekend

Go North East | Sunday timetables all weekend

Go North East | Sunday timetables all weekend

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average

Pages (15) Previous 13 4 515 Next
Bazza

08 Jan 2022, 9:49 pm #61
How has todays GNE services compared with the other operators today?
Bazza
08 Jan 2022, 9:49 pm #61

How has todays GNE services compared with the other operators today?

Storx

08 Jan 2022, 9:54 pm #62
(08 Jan 2022, 9:49 pm)Bazza How has todays GNE services compared with the other operators today?

Arriva Blyth ran pretty much a full service bar one board on the 308 by the looks of it and Arriva Jesmond the same bar a board on the 306. Doesn't seem to be any other cancellations in Northumbria (must admit based on Bustimes).

Can't comment on others.
Storx
08 Jan 2022, 9:54 pm #62

(08 Jan 2022, 9:49 pm)Bazza How has todays GNE services compared with the other operators today?

Arriva Blyth ran pretty much a full service bar one board on the 308 by the looks of it and Arriva Jesmond the same bar a board on the 306. Doesn't seem to be any other cancellations in Northumbria (must admit based on Bustimes).

Can't comment on others.

Thomas12

08 Jan 2022, 10:12 pm #63
(08 Jan 2022, 9:43 pm)Ambassador I caught the 21 today relatively unaffected by the disruption…you’d think.

Waited 20 in Birtley and the first bus turned up full, someone flagged the trailing bus to the clear annoyance of the driver who quite possibly was the single  worst example,of customer service ever. I’d call him an utter areshole tbh. Loudly muttered under his breath, seemed put out he had to serve nufc fans, Missed stops, whinged at customers…utterly utterly appalling.

On the way back, no 21.06:from Newcastle, not  on the cancellation list. 42 mins for the next bus. Appalling service. I got an Uber.

Today told me…never rely on buses ever

The 21:06 from Newcastle did operate
Thomas12
08 Jan 2022, 10:12 pm #63

(08 Jan 2022, 9:43 pm)Ambassador I caught the 21 today relatively unaffected by the disruption…you’d think.

Waited 20 in Birtley and the first bus turned up full, someone flagged the trailing bus to the clear annoyance of the driver who quite possibly was the single  worst example,of customer service ever. I’d call him an utter areshole tbh. Loudly muttered under his breath, seemed put out he had to serve nufc fans, Missed stops, whinged at customers…utterly utterly appalling.

On the way back, no 21.06:from Newcastle, not  on the cancellation list. 42 mins for the next bus. Appalling service. I got an Uber.

The 21:06 from Newcastle did operate

NL62WVW

08 Jan 2022, 10:33 pm #64
If I'm not mistaken the 2105 Newcastle - CLS did run, 6317 doing the honours

Views and Opinions are my own
NL62WVW
08 Jan 2022, 10:33 pm #64

If I'm not mistaken the 2105 Newcastle - CLS did run, 6317 doing the honours

Views and Opinions are my own

08 Jan 2022, 10:52 pm #65
I had a look at Stagecoach South Shields earlier as their socials indicated missing trips on the high frequency town routes - based on bustimes there appeared to be between 3 and 10 journeys dropped on each over the course of the day.  Most were a single journey missed in an otherwise normal Saturday timetable (so markedly better offter than GNE) though there were a couple of examples of consecutive runs missed creating bigger 'holes' in the timetable. 

Hard to compare like for like with GNE, though I do tend to favour the Stagecoach approach of seeking to concentrate the disrupton to the higher frequency runs so the impact is less significant (10, 11, 12, X20, 30 all appeared to be unaffected).  A similar strategy seemed to be in place in Newcastle with higher frequency routes carrying the gaps as opposed to like likes of 18, 32, X78, X82 etc.  Of course it could be argued that the higher frequency routes are busier and one being missing more likely to cause overcrowding...though I've seen no mention on socials for Stagecoach or other operators the kind of clearly overcrowded buses reported with GNE today.
stagecoachbusdepot
08 Jan 2022, 10:52 pm #65

I had a look at Stagecoach South Shields earlier as their socials indicated missing trips on the high frequency town routes - based on bustimes there appeared to be between 3 and 10 journeys dropped on each over the course of the day.  Most were a single journey missed in an otherwise normal Saturday timetable (so markedly better offter than GNE) though there were a couple of examples of consecutive runs missed creating bigger 'holes' in the timetable. 

Hard to compare like for like with GNE, though I do tend to favour the Stagecoach approach of seeking to concentrate the disrupton to the higher frequency runs so the impact is less significant (10, 11, 12, X20, 30 all appeared to be unaffected).  A similar strategy seemed to be in place in Newcastle with higher frequency routes carrying the gaps as opposed to like likes of 18, 32, X78, X82 etc.  Of course it could be argued that the higher frequency routes are busier and one being missing more likely to cause overcrowding...though I've seen no mention on socials for Stagecoach or other operators the kind of clearly overcrowded buses reported with GNE today.

Bazza

08 Jan 2022, 11:35 pm #66
(08 Jan 2022, 9:54 pm)Storx Arriva Blyth ran pretty much a full service bar one board on the 308 by the looks of it and Arriva Jesmond the same bar a board on the 306. Doesn't seem to be any other cancellations in Northumbria (must admit based on Bustimes).

Can't comment on others.

(08 Jan 2022, 10:52 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I had a look at Stagecoach South Shields earlier as their socials indicated missing trips on the high frequency town routes - based on bustimes there appeared to be between 3 and 10 journeys dropped on each over the course of the day.  Most were a single journey missed in an otherwise normal Saturday timetable (so markedly better offter than GNE) though there were a couple of examples of consecutive runs missed creating bigger 'holes' in the timetable. 

So what is going wrong with GNE?  They certainly seem to have shot themselves in the foot over this.
Bazza
08 Jan 2022, 11:35 pm #66

(08 Jan 2022, 9:54 pm)Storx Arriva Blyth ran pretty much a full service bar one board on the 308 by the looks of it and Arriva Jesmond the same bar a board on the 306. Doesn't seem to be any other cancellations in Northumbria (must admit based on Bustimes).

Can't comment on others.

(08 Jan 2022, 10:52 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I had a look at Stagecoach South Shields earlier as their socials indicated missing trips on the high frequency town routes - based on bustimes there appeared to be between 3 and 10 journeys dropped on each over the course of the day.  Most were a single journey missed in an otherwise normal Saturday timetable (so markedly better offter than GNE) though there were a couple of examples of consecutive runs missed creating bigger 'holes' in the timetable. 

So what is going wrong with GNE?  They certainly seem to have shot themselves in the foot over this.

Ambassador

09 Jan 2022, 1:22 am #67
(08 Jan 2022, 10:33 pm)NL62WVW If I'm not mistaken the 2105 Newcastle - CLS did run, 6317 doing the honours
I stood from 8.55 to 21.16 and no bus appeared. I ended up sharing an Uber

It also didn’t appear on the app.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
09 Jan 2022, 1:22 am #67

(08 Jan 2022, 10:33 pm)NL62WVW If I'm not mistaken the 2105 Newcastle - CLS did run, 6317 doing the honours
I stood from 8.55 to 21.16 and no bus appeared. I ended up sharing an Uber

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Thomas12

09 Jan 2022, 1:41 am #68
(09 Jan 2022, 1:22 am)Ambassador I stood from 8.55 to 21.16 and no bus appeared. I ended up sharing an Uber

As well as me seeing it, this confirms that it operated.

https://bustimes.org/services/21-durham-.../204028292
Thomas12
09 Jan 2022, 1:41 am #68

(09 Jan 2022, 1:22 am)Ambassador I stood from 8.55 to 21.16 and no bus appeared. I ended up sharing an Uber

As well as me seeing it, this confirms that it operated.

https://bustimes.org/services/21-durham-.../204028292

Andreos1

09 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm #69
(08 Jan 2022, 9:09 pm)Jimmi Weekends are the worst to get drivers in to work especially when short staffed especially as I think there's little to no incentive to work these days? 

Another thing that doesn't help covering services on weekends is sometimes other work being picked up, Rail Replacement's, Metro Replacement's, shuttle services for the likes of Kynryn and in the case of today, the St James' Park & Ride service from the Metrocentre which was promoted near enough on near the same level as the Sunday timetables were on their socials.
https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunal-d...01055-2020

When you've got managers making decisions like this, is there any wonder attrition and driver illness is so high?

I'm amazed it's taken so long!
Edited 09 Jan 2022, 5:58 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
09 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm #69

(08 Jan 2022, 9:09 pm)Jimmi Weekends are the worst to get drivers in to work especially when short staffed especially as I think there's little to no incentive to work these days? 

Another thing that doesn't help covering services on weekends is sometimes other work being picked up, Rail Replacement's, Metro Replacement's, shuttle services for the likes of Kynryn and in the case of today, the St James' Park & Ride service from the Metrocentre which was promoted near enough on near the same level as the Sunday timetables were on their socials.
https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunal-d...01055-2020

When you've got managers making decisions like this, is there any wonder attrition and driver illness is so high?

I'm amazed it's taken so long!

09 Jan 2022, 7:30 pm #70
(09 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm)Andreos1 https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunal-d...01055-2020

Thanks for sharing that.  A depressing read but excellent outcome from the tribunal.  A useful reminder that unions are worse than useless these days, and not to expect reciprocal loyalty from some employers if you are no longer of immediate use to them. 

Para 82 sums it up for me… for very little benefit to the company they took illegal action which had devastating consequences for someone who had given them 20 years of service (while cooing to the public about their commitment to improving mental health!)  Sounds like the company were less than honest in the tribunal too (paras 27 & 85 in particular).  And this is how they treat someone who sounds like an outstanding driver with excellence awards etc…
stagecoachbusdepot
09 Jan 2022, 7:30 pm #70

(09 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm)Andreos1 https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunal-d...01055-2020

Thanks for sharing that.  A depressing read but excellent outcome from the tribunal.  A useful reminder that unions are worse than useless these days, and not to expect reciprocal loyalty from some employers if you are no longer of immediate use to them. 

Para 82 sums it up for me… for very little benefit to the company they took illegal action which had devastating consequences for someone who had given them 20 years of service (while cooing to the public about their commitment to improving mental health!)  Sounds like the company were less than honest in the tribunal too (paras 27 & 85 in particular).  And this is how they treat someone who sounds like an outstanding driver with excellence awards etc…

Andreos1

09 Jan 2022, 9:44 pm #71
(09 Jan 2022, 7:30 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Thanks for sharing that.  A depressing read but excellent outcome from the tribunal.  A useful reminder that unions are worse than useless these days, and not to expect reciprocal loyalty from some employers if you are no longer of immediate use to them. 

This line is the one that gets me. Its in para 71.
Bearing in mind, how long it takes to train up bus drivers, the tribunal would have thought that the respondent would have wanted to retain him

When there's an ongoing recruitment campaign (that seems as regular as a DFS sale) and both prior to and since the judgement (and publication), you have the organisation going on about not having enough drivers...

This is just one recent example of poor management within the sector. 

There's many others in the public domain and there's many other stories which aren't.

The attitude shown is appalling imo and goes quite a way to explaining why there's such a turnover.
Absolutely no forsight whatsoever.

Andreos1
09 Jan 2022, 9:44 pm #71

(09 Jan 2022, 7:30 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Thanks for sharing that.  A depressing read but excellent outcome from the tribunal.  A useful reminder that unions are worse than useless these days, and not to expect reciprocal loyalty from some employers if you are no longer of immediate use to them. 

This line is the one that gets me. Its in para 71.
Bearing in mind, how long it takes to train up bus drivers, the tribunal would have thought that the respondent would have wanted to retain him

When there's an ongoing recruitment campaign (that seems as regular as a DFS sale) and both prior to and since the judgement (and publication), you have the organisation going on about not having enough drivers...

This is just one recent example of poor management within the sector. 

There's many others in the public domain and there's many other stories which aren't.

The attitude shown is appalling imo and goes quite a way to explaining why there's such a turnover.
Absolutely no forsight whatsoever.

RM2186

10 Jan 2022, 8:18 am #72
Kenny was one of the best and kindest drivers you could ever have the good fortune to meet, I believe he has retired now. The kind of decisions I witnessed during my 6 years at GNE are enough to make your blood boil.
RM2186
10 Jan 2022, 8:18 am #72

Kenny was one of the best and kindest drivers you could ever have the good fortune to meet, I believe he has retired now. The kind of decisions I witnessed during my 6 years at GNE are enough to make your blood boil.

Adrian

10 Jan 2022, 4:39 pm #73
(08 Jan 2022, 7:24 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Utterly irresponsible from GNE.  The stupidity in allowing overcrowding, which is only going to lead to higher case rates and so higher absences and more problems…it beggars belief.

The general situation of reckless overcrowding won’t have been helped by the operation of smaller vehicles on unaffected decker routes as well.  In the space of 5 mins in Gateshead this afternoon I noted a corporate Streetlite on 27 and an Orbit on the 93.  Oddly there’s also been an Orbit on a 6/12 board too.  Still a good number of breakdowns reported on social media, further cutting service levels.

GNE fb page (presumably autoposting) reporting more unplanned cancellations tomorrow – though the page it is linking to hasn’t been updated since Friday so shows nothing about tomorrow…

Just noticed this follow up from the customer tweet who complained about overcrowding on that X1.

.png
gnetweet.png
Size 74.89 KB / Downloads 24

In another tweet it's mentioned they'll be following up with the depot, but even worse if it's accurate that it was overcrowded at a supervisor's direction. 

(10 Jan 2022, 8:18 am)RM2186 Kenny was one of the best and kindest drivers you could ever have the good fortune to meet, I believe he has retired now. The kind of decisions I witnessed during my 6 years at GNE are enough to make your blood boil.

Couldn't agree more. Someone who always has time for people and I remember from what feels like a lifetime ago, when I used to bus to college.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
10 Jan 2022, 4:39 pm #73

(08 Jan 2022, 7:24 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Utterly irresponsible from GNE.  The stupidity in allowing overcrowding, which is only going to lead to higher case rates and so higher absences and more problems…it beggars belief.

The general situation of reckless overcrowding won’t have been helped by the operation of smaller vehicles on unaffected decker routes as well.  In the space of 5 mins in Gateshead this afternoon I noted a corporate Streetlite on 27 and an Orbit on the 93.  Oddly there’s also been an Orbit on a 6/12 board too.  Still a good number of breakdowns reported on social media, further cutting service levels.

GNE fb page (presumably autoposting) reporting more unplanned cancellations tomorrow – though the page it is linking to hasn’t been updated since Friday so shows nothing about tomorrow…

Just noticed this follow up from the customer tweet who complained about overcrowding on that X1.

.png
gnetweet.png
Size 74.89 KB / Downloads 24

In another tweet it's mentioned they'll be following up with the depot, but even worse if it's accurate that it was overcrowded at a supervisor's direction. 

(10 Jan 2022, 8:18 am)RM2186 Kenny was one of the best and kindest drivers you could ever have the good fortune to meet, I believe he has retired now. The kind of decisions I witnessed during my 6 years at GNE are enough to make your blood boil.

Couldn't agree more. Someone who always has time for people and I remember from what feels like a lifetime ago, when I used to bus to college.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

cbma06

10 Jan 2022, 5:26 pm #74
(10 Jan 2022, 4:39 pm)Adrian Just noticed this follow up from the customer tweet who complained about overcrowding on that X1.

At the end of the day the bus driver will have to be accounted for as it’s the driver who’s responsible if anything happens, the supervisor shouldn’t of allowed it, what happens if further up the road and vosa/police stopped the bus for checks, if I was the driver and the supervisor allowed standing upstairs then I wouldn’t of moved the bus, what happens if the bus turns a corner and everyone leans over and the bus tilts over and then injuries etc…, the driver will be accountable, the supervisor might get a small telling off but the driver would be charged if any deaths and sacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
10 Jan 2022, 5:26 pm #74

(10 Jan 2022, 4:39 pm)Adrian Just noticed this follow up from the customer tweet who complained about overcrowding on that X1.

At the end of the day the bus driver will have to be accounted for as it’s the driver who’s responsible if anything happens, the supervisor shouldn’t of allowed it, what happens if further up the road and vosa/police stopped the bus for checks, if I was the driver and the supervisor allowed standing upstairs then I wouldn’t of moved the bus, what happens if the bus turns a corner and everyone leans over and the bus tilts over and then injuries etc…, the driver will be accountable, the supervisor might get a small telling off but the driver would be charged if any deaths and sacked.

Omega54

10 Jan 2022, 5:31 pm #75
(10 Jan 2022, 5:26 pm)cbma06 At the end of the day the bus driver will have to be accounted for as it’s the driver who’s responsible if anything happens, the supervisor shouldn’t of allowed it, what happens if further up the road and vosa/police stopped the bus for checks, if I was the driver and the supervisor allowed standing upstairs then I wouldn’t of moved the bus, what happens if the bus turns a corner and everyone leans over and the bus tilts over and then injuries etc…, the driver will be accountable, the supervisor might get a small telling off but the driver would be charged if any deaths and sacked.

I understand why they did it, but they shouldn't have. I wonder if anything will be introduced maybe the longer OmniDekka's because if 1 X1 is cancelled that is not one for over 1 hour and that one will chance to just be delayed a hell of a lot.
Omega54
10 Jan 2022, 5:31 pm #75

(10 Jan 2022, 5:26 pm)cbma06 At the end of the day the bus driver will have to be accounted for as it’s the driver who’s responsible if anything happens, the supervisor shouldn’t of allowed it, what happens if further up the road and vosa/police stopped the bus for checks, if I was the driver and the supervisor allowed standing upstairs then I wouldn’t of moved the bus, what happens if the bus turns a corner and everyone leans over and the bus tilts over and then injuries etc…, the driver will be accountable, the supervisor might get a small telling off but the driver would be charged if any deaths and sacked.

I understand why they did it, but they shouldn't have. I wonder if anything will be introduced maybe the longer OmniDekka's because if 1 X1 is cancelled that is not one for over 1 hour and that one will chance to just be delayed a hell of a lot.

10 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm #76
I'm not surprised they allowed the bus to be overcrowded, pre-covid it was rare to not have kids standing upstairs on the X21s going through Durham at ~3pm, they were sitting on the tables, on the floor, and even on the stairs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still the same now
streetdeckfan
10 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm #76

I'm not surprised they allowed the bus to be overcrowded, pre-covid it was rare to not have kids standing upstairs on the X21s going through Durham at ~3pm, they were sitting on the tables, on the floor, and even on the stairs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still the same now

Drifter60

10 Jan 2022, 5:40 pm #77

Whilst I get your point about the driver having a duty of care and safety obligations, if the supervisor has allowed this to happen, it’s hard for a driver to stand up and say no 1) If it’s his line manager or supervisor, asking a driver to disobey/question an instruction give by their boss, is hard 2) This is presumably in front of customers who are trying to get places, you can imagine “don’t be tight. Let us on” attitude people will. And if someone deemed more senior says yes to something, then passengers will be fuming that it hasn’t happened, however correct the driver may be. 

I agree with all your points about safety and drivers duty, but my biggest worry is that no driver should have been put in the position in the first place.
Drifter60
10 Jan 2022, 5:40 pm #77

Whilst I get your point about the driver having a duty of care and safety obligations, if the supervisor has allowed this to happen, it’s hard for a driver to stand up and say no 1) If it’s his line manager or supervisor, asking a driver to disobey/question an instruction give by their boss, is hard 2) This is presumably in front of customers who are trying to get places, you can imagine “don’t be tight. Let us on” attitude people will. And if someone deemed more senior says yes to something, then passengers will be fuming that it hasn’t happened, however correct the driver may be. 

I agree with all your points about safety and drivers duty, but my biggest worry is that no driver should have been put in the position in the first place.

Bazza

10 Jan 2022, 5:43 pm #78

Is this one person complaining or a number of passengers complaining?

It seems like you have already found the driver and/or supervisor guilty without the full story here. 

I bet we have all been on a bus that seemed rammed and full to capacity, but when you’ve actually looked there are empty seats.  The driver would know how many passengers he had on from his ticket machine.   Maybe the only thing the GNE staff are guilty of are expecting the passengers to actually sit on empty seats, preferring to stand where they shouldn’t.
Bazza
10 Jan 2022, 5:43 pm #78

Is this one person complaining or a number of passengers complaining?

It seems like you have already found the driver and/or supervisor guilty without the full story here. 

I bet we have all been on a bus that seemed rammed and full to capacity, but when you’ve actually looked there are empty seats.  The driver would know how many passengers he had on from his ticket machine.   Maybe the only thing the GNE staff are guilty of are expecting the passengers to actually sit on empty seats, preferring to stand where they shouldn’t.

Omega54

10 Jan 2022, 5:48 pm #79
(10 Jan 2022, 5:43 pm)Bazza Is this one person complaining or a number of passengers complaining?

I have seen Arriva Double Deckers leaving Newcastle after games 'Bus Full' and there still being about 8 seats free at top deck with loads standing at the bottom
Omega54
10 Jan 2022, 5:48 pm #79

(10 Jan 2022, 5:43 pm)Bazza Is this one person complaining or a number of passengers complaining?

I have seen Arriva Double Deckers leaving Newcastle after games 'Bus Full' and there still being about 8 seats free at top deck with loads standing at the bottom

mb134

10 Jan 2022, 7:25 pm #80

I might be wrong in saying this, but as far as I'm aware standing upstairs is prohibited at all times (believe it's to do, at least in part, with altering the centre of gravity and therefore making the bus more prone to tipping on its side). The driver will have an upstairs CCTV monitor, would easily be able to see if people were standing, and should have pulled over and addressed the situation as early as safe to do so - unless of course, he's been instructed to allow it by the supervisor, in which case the mind boggles.
mb134
10 Jan 2022, 7:25 pm #80

I might be wrong in saying this, but as far as I'm aware standing upstairs is prohibited at all times (believe it's to do, at least in part, with altering the centre of gravity and therefore making the bus more prone to tipping on its side). The driver will have an upstairs CCTV monitor, would easily be able to see if people were standing, and should have pulled over and addressed the situation as early as safe to do so - unless of course, he's been instructed to allow it by the supervisor, in which case the mind boggles.

Pages (15) Previous 13 4 515 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average